返回首页

KaraLoganBerlin_2019X-_想要改变世界?_学学筹款的艺术_-

I'm here today to talk about fundraising , or as you probably think of it, "the other F-word ." 我今天要讨论的是筹款问题, 或者你会联想到的 一个以相同字母开头的脏话。
fundraising:n.筹款;募捐; F-word:n.粗话(那个以f开头的词,指fuck性交);
(Laughter) (笑声)
Because if you want to change the world, you have to know how to pay for it. 因为如果你想要改变世界, 就必须得明白如何负担成本。
I'm not talking about being a good person -- you can do that for free. 我不是在讲 如何成为一个好人—— 那是不需要成本的事情。
I'm talking about if you want to create something, start something, galvanize a community , improve the lives of others, run for office. 我是说, 你如果想创造些什么, 发起些什么, 激励某个群体, 改善他人的生活, 或是竞选公职之类的事情。
galvanize:vt.镀锌;通电;刺激; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; improve:v.改进;改善;
Every day, great ideas die on the vine , because they don't have capital to get off the ground . 每天都有好主意半途夭折, 因为没有足够的启动资金。
vine:n.藤;葡萄树;藤本植物;攀缘植物;vi.长成藤蔓;爬藤; get off the ground:v.开始发行;飞起;(使)取得进展;
And all of the work, the thought, the vision that goes into the idea, isn't worth much if you can't pay your bills. 于是所有为其进行的工作、 耗费的心力、提出的愿景, 如果你无法为其买单, 都将毫无价值。
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
And while most of the greatest social movements in history were powered purely by an idea and people's belief in that idea, real change and impact require resources . 虽然历史上大多数 最伟大的社会运动 仅仅靠一个想法 以及人们对这个想法 的信念提供动力, 但真正的改变需要资源。
purely:adv.完全;仅仅; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
Real people do this work, they need real change, real impact and resources to actually make it happen. 确实得有人做事, 而且他们需要真正的改变、 真正的影响力和资源, 才能将想法变成现实。
The people that believe in this work have to have the support and the resources to do it. 有意实践自己想法的人 必须得到支持和所需的资源。
That's where I come in. 而这就是我扮演的角色。
I get essential resources into the hands of people and visionaries on the front lines, doing work that matters. 我把必不可少的资源 提供给有远见卓识、 工作在一线的人们, 让他们去做重要的工作。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; visionaries:n.空想主义者;愿景者;远见者(visionary的复数);
We spend the majority of our waking hours working. 我们把大部分时间 都花在工作上。
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
We spend more time working than we do with our loved ones. 我们花在工作上的时间 甚至比与亲友们共度的时间还要多。
So I decided early on that I have to love my work, and it has to add value. 因此,我很早就决定, 我必须得热爱我的工作, 提高我工作的价值。
And while I would love to be one of these people who spearheads social change from the ground up , the thing I realized early on in my nonprofit career is that the thing I'm good at, the thing I'm really good at, is raising money. 虽然我很愿意成为那种 给社会带来变化的先锋人物, 但是,我很早就从自己 的非营利性工作中意识到, 我所擅长的事情, 我真真正正擅长的事情, 就是筹款。
spearheads:n.矛头;先锋;先锋部队;vt.带头;做先锋; from the ground up:从头开始;彻底; nonprofit:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
And I love it. 我非常热爱这项工作。
I think it is a privilege to work alongside bold , ambitious , optimistic leaders and the organizations they serve. 我觉得, 与雄心勃勃、积极大胆的领袖们 还有他们带领的组织一起工作, 是一种莫大的荣幸。
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的; optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
So I teach people how to do the thing I'm good at, because the more people that learn how to be good at my end of this work, the more work will get done. 因此,我将我的长处教给其他人, 因为越多人学到了如何筹款, 就会有越多的事情能被完成。
And I teach everyone. 每一个人都是我教学的对象,
I teach CEOs and presidents, and boards of directors and EDs. 包括公司总裁和董事长, 董事会成员和执行董事;
I teach development directors in all sorts of teams and nonprofit newbies , social change agents and candidates. 各种团队的开发总监, 非盈利企业的新人, 正在或将要推动 社会变革的人,等等。
newbies:n.初学者; agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数)
I teach anyone that wants to do something extraordinary how to fund their dream. 我教授所有想干出一番事业的人 如何为他们的梦想筹款。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
My dream is that there will be more people like me doing this work well and that development will be an undergraduate course at universities, so that fundraising animals like me will find this job out of the gate, instead of discovering it years later, accidentally . 我的梦想是 有更多人会像我一样 擅长筹款, 让这种商业开发的能力被纳入 大学本科的课程大纲, 好让像我一样善于筹款的人 一毕业就走上这条道路, 而不是在数年后才碰巧发现。
undergraduate:n.本科生; accidentally:adv.意外地:偶然,偶然地;
I even have the curriculum developed, but short of overhauling undergraduate course requirements, 我甚至将课程都编好了, 但是缺少对大学本科 课程要求的整改机会。
curriculum:n.课程;总课程; overhauling:n.大修;翻修;拆检;卸修;v.翻修;精细检查(overhaul的ing形式);
I think tonight's probably a good first step to get people to think about fundraising more as an opportunity and less as a dirty word. 我想,今晚很有可能就是一个契机, 开始改变人们对筹款的想法, 让它成为一个机会, 而不是那个相同字母开头的脏话。
If you want to change the world, you have to know how to pay for it. 如果你想改变世界, 你就得明白如何负担其成本。
To do that well, you have to understand three big things. 为了做到这一点, 你必须得明白三件事:
Your feelings about wealth and money, the importance of building relationships, and how to ask for what you want. 你对金钱和财富的感觉, 建立关系的重要性, 还有索求的艺术。
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
Let's start at the top, your feelings about wealth and money. 让我们先从第一个开始, 你对金钱和财富的感觉。
What is your relationship to money? 你跟钱的关系是怎样的?
Money is complicated , it makes everyone squeamish , it makes everyone act kind of weird . 钱是个非常复杂的东西, 它把每个人都搞得神经兮兮的, 让每个人都行事诡异。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) squeamish:adj.易呕吐的;易生气的;神经质的;过于拘谨的;洁癖的; weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
Anyone who's ever had to split the check after dinner with friends can tell you this. 任何一个要跟朋友 AA 晚餐费用的人 都会这么跟你讲:
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
Imagine what it was like before Venmo. 真不敢想象电子钱包 发明之前该怎么办。
(Laughter) (笑声)
To help people learn how to raise money, you have to help them understand their deal with money, because everybody has baggage . 为了帮助人们学会筹款, 你得帮他们理解 他们该怎么跟金钱打交道, 因为每个人都多少 有点家境上的包袱。
baggage:n.行李;[交]辎重(军队的);
Grew up poor? Baggage. 穷养?包袱。
Grew up rich? Baggage. 富养?包袱。
Mad or envious that other people have more money than you? 总是嫉妒别人比你有钱?
envious:adj.羡慕的;嫉妒的;
Baggage. 包袱。
Think people with money are smarter than you? 总觉得有钱人比你聪明?
Baggage. 还是包袱。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Feel guilty that you have more money than other people? 觉得自己比别人有钱就有负罪感?
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
That's some first-class baggage. 那可真是“头等”的包袱。
first-class:adj.优秀的;第一流的;adv.优秀地;最好地;第一流地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's still baggage, people, it's still baggage. 你比别人有钱也是个包袱, 朋友们,你比别人有钱也是个包袱!
So whatever your deal is with your baggage, you have to reconcile it if you're going to be able to ask for money. 所以随便你怎么处理你的包袱, 如果你想能找别人要钱, 你就得与它和解。
reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协;
And here's a little tip about asking people for money. 然后,一个关于 找人要钱的温馨提示:
tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
The only difference about really wealthy people and us is that they have more money than us. 真正的有钱人 和我们之间的差别, 就是他们比我们有钱。
That's it. 仅此而已。
Don't overcomplicate it. 别把它想得很复杂。
They come with their own baggage. 他们也背负着自己的包袱。
When you think about how to do this work, it's important to remember that money makes the world go round. 你在想怎样筹钱的时候, 记得“是钱让世界运转” 这一点非常重要。
You hear that all the time, but it's true. 你经常听到这句话, 但它确实是真的。
Whether you're a nonprofit, for-profit , or you pay your own bills. 不管你营不营利, 或者你自己解决成本问题。
for-profit:以盈利为目的的;
We often feel like talking about it is this icky , embarrassing , ugly thing, but it's just money. 我们总是觉得谈论这种事情不太好, 特别尴尬而且难以启齿, 但它就只是钱的问题,
icky:adj.讨厌的;过分甜的;粘得讨厌的;n.令人作呕的人; embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词) ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
And it's a fact of life. 而且是无从逃避的生活现实。
So how you feel about it directly affects how you approach it. 所以你对其的感觉 直接影响你处理它的方法。
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
Like everyone else when I started out in this work, 像所有人一样, 当我开始自己的筹款事业的时候,
I had to examine and understand my own feelings about wealth and money. 我必须考量并理解 自己对金钱财富的感觉,
And I had to learn how to separate them from how I feel about raising money for important causes. 并学着把它们与 我对为了重要事业筹款 的心态区分开来。
How I feel about asking for money to help people do good work in the world is not the same as how I feel about asking for money for myself. 给世上做好事的人们筹款时, 我的感受 跟给自己筹款时的感受 是不一样的。
This is an important distinction . 这个差别非常重要。
distinction:n.区别;区分;差别;卓越;
When I go and talk to someone, 当我去游说别人时,
I'm not asking them to pay my mortgage . 并不是在要他们付我的贷款,
mortgage:vt.抵押;n.抵押;房屋抵押贷款;
I'm giving them an opportunity to invest in an idea that's going to change the world for the better . 而是要给他们一个机会, 去投资一个 能造福世界的构想。
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予; for the better:好转,向好的方向发展;
Why should I feel bad about that? 那我怎么会为此感到不悦呢?
If you want to be good at raising money, you have to be able to reframe the ask, both for yourself and for other people, as an opportunity. 如果你想善于筹款, 你得能换一种提出请求的方式, 这对你、对他人, 都是一个机会。
reframe:v.再构造,再组织;重新制订;给…装上新框架;
Next, you have to get prepared to build some relationships. 然后,你要准备好 发展一些人脉。
People give to people, they don't just give to ideas. 人们愿意投钱,并不是只看想法, 更要看人。
And if they don't believe in the person running the place, you're already dead in the water . 如果他们不信任 管事的人, 你的构想基本就已经胎死腹中了。
dead in the water:船河玩出火;死在水中;水中亡灵;
This is true whether you're in stocks or venture capital , politics or nonprofits . 这是一个不争的事实, 不管你是炒股、做风险投资, 还是玩政治、做非营利工作。
stocks:n.[金融]股票; v.采购; venture capital:风险投资; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) nonprofits:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的;
Building a relationship with people takes work. 发展人际关系需要投入。
You have to care about more than just what you want or need, you have to also value what someone else wants or needs. 除了关心你自己的需求, 也要在乎别人的需求。
I know, it's a shocking, terrible idea. 我知道,这是个骇人听闻的想法。
But oftentimes , closing gifts is understanding the person, more than it's important to know the product. 但是往往谈完项目送点小礼 是在接触、理解一个人, 而这甚至比了解产品更重要。
oftentimes:adv.时常地;
And if you think building a relationship with people takes work, building a relationship with someone you're asking for money from takes work, and it takes homework. 而且,如果你觉得 发展人脉需要投入, 跟你能要钱的人发展关系 更是需要投入, 而且要的不只是谈生意时的投入。
Have you done any research? 你去了解过这个人吗?
Do you have any idea what they care about? 你知不知道他们在乎什么?
Do you know why they should invest in your work? 你知不知道 他们为什么需要投资你的事业?
Can you answer that question in less than 30 seconds? 你能在30秒之内 回答这些问题吗?
If you can't, the meeting is going to be pretty rough. 如果你不能,你们的面谈 会非常艰难。
And the answer can't be "Because they're super rich and they live in your zip code." 而且你的答案绝不能是, “因为他们富得流油, 而且他们住得离你很近。”
When you talk to people and understand what they care about, it has to be in person. 在你跟人交谈, 尝试理解他们在乎什么时, 你们必须是面对面的。
Fundraising is relational , it's not transactional . 筹款是一场人际交往, 而非一笔交易。
relational:adj.相关的;亲属的; transactional:adj.交易型的;事务性的;事务处理的;
And you have to ask them questions. 因此你得问他们问题。
When I sit down with a donor , it goes something like this. 我在跟投资方面谈时, 基本是这样问的:
donor:n.捐赠者;供者;赠送人;adj.捐献的;经人工授精出生的;
'"Hi, thanks so much for seeing me. “你好!非常谢谢你抽出时间见我。
How have you been? 你最近怎么样?
Did you guys go anywhere fun over holiday? 你们去什么好玩儿的地方度假了吗?
Nice, I love Mexico. 那挺好的,我特别喜欢墨西哥!
Do you always go to the same place? 你们是一直去一个地方吗?
Oh, that's awesome ! 哇,那也太赞了吧!
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
Are those your kids? They're so cute. 那边的是你的孩子们吗? 他们好可爱!
How old are they? 他们多大了?
Where are they in school? 在哪儿上学?
Oh, that's a great school, are you guys very involved there? 哇,那可是个特别好的学校! 你们经常参加学校的活动吗?
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
Your spouse in on the board ? How's that? 你爱人在校董会?是怎么选上的? 那可有成堆的事情要做。
spouse:n.配偶;vt.和…结婚; on the board:在董事会,将在会上讨论;在那块木板上;
How did you guys meet? 你们当时是怎么认识的?
Oh, at Santa Clara, that's awesome. 噢,在圣克拉拉大学认识的? 那很厉害啊!
Are you super involved in the alumni network? 你是在校友会中很活跃吗?
alumni:n.(统称)校友,毕业生;
So interesting. 真有意思!
Where do you guys live, again? 你们是在哪里住来着?
That's great. Is that your boat?" 哇哦,好地方! 那是你的船?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
I literally go through all of these things, right. 我差不多把这种问题 都说光了,对吧!
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
And you know why? 你知道为什么吗?
Because guess what I know now. 因为,猜猜我现在有多了解他们。
I know they're out of 120 grand a year in schooling for the next 12 years. 我知道他们接下来十二年间, 每年能从学校赚十二万多美元。
Right? 对不对?
Spouse is on the board of the kids' school, 爱人在孩子学校的校董会,
I know they're out of 100K probably. 我知道这就已经十万起步了。
It's a six-figure. 肯定是六位数。
They're both involved in their school alumni, that's probably 25K. 他们都在校友会里面, 这大概是两万五。
They told me they live on the Upper East Side -- 他们还告诉我 他们住在上东区,
Upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂;
I can look up their apartment online and find out what their mortgage is. 我可以在网上查到他们的房子, 并搞清楚他们的按揭。
And I know they own a second home in Mexico. 我还知道 他们在墨西哥还有套房。
second home:n.别业;第二寓所;别墅;第二故乡;
Oh, and they own a boat. 哦对,他们还有条船。
Which is like funny money , right? 这可是花着玩儿的钱,对吧?
funny money:n.假币;币值低(或不稳定)的货币;来路不明的钱;黑钱;
So what I now understand -- 所以,我现在了解到的——
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's true. 确实,
What I now understand is that their 1,000-dollar gift is probably more of a starter gift. 我现在了解到的, 是他们一千美元的谢礼 很有可能只是个开始。
starter:n.起动机;发令员;第一道菜;发射装置;发起者;参加比赛者,上场队员;
And I should be thinking about ways to help them partner with us and invest in a more meaningful way. 我也得考虑 如何让他们跟我们合作, 好让他们做更有意义的投资。
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
I know this sounds a tad mercenary . 我知道这听起来 有点唯利是图的味道,
mercenary:adj.雇佣的;唯利是图的;n.雇佣兵;唯利是图者;
I'm not confused about how it sounds. 我也很清楚这听起来是什么感觉。
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
But here's what I want to tell you, because this is the part that all my clients always want to skip, because they think it's the fluff and it's not important. 但我要告诉你的是, 这一步是我所有的客户 总是想跳过的, 他们觉得这是花里胡哨的瞎扯, 觉得它不重要。
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数) fluff:n.绒毛;蓬松毛团;没多大意义的娱乐;vt.抖松;搞糟;弄砸;使松散
If you don't understand what they care about and what they value, how are you ever going to be able to tell them about your work, right? 如果你不理解 他们在乎什么、看重什么, 你又何从告诉他们 你的事业如何如何呢,对不对?
I want them to fund our work, I do. 我想让他们给我们的事业投资, 我确实这么想,
But I also want them to have a really meaningful experience as a donor, so that they feel like we're partners and they're not an ATM, right? 但是,我也想让他们得到 一次真真正正有意义的投资体验, 好让他们感觉到,我们是合作伙伴, 他们也不是台取款机,对不对?
So it's important to ask the questions, because the more you know about them and you know what they value, the more you can steer the conversation in a direction about your work that will resonate for them. 所以,问问题非常重要, 因为你越了解他们, 你越知道他们看重什么, 你就越能掌控谈话的方向, 好让他们对你的事业 产生共鸣。
steer:v.引导;控制;操纵;驾驶(船、汽车等);n.建议;劝告;忠告;阉公牛; resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
And once you get past the get-to-know-you part, you get into the fun stuff , like, "Why are you philanthropic at all?" 而一旦你过了 了解他的阶段, 就能问些真正有意思的问题。 比如说,“你到底为什么 这么乐善好施呢?”
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: philanthropic:adj.博爱的;仁慈的;
Right? 是不是?
'"Why do you invest in new ideas? “为什么你要投资新的构想?
Do you want giving back to be a value you pass on to your children? 你想给你的孩子们 传递积极回报的价值观吗?
Can we help you do that?" 我们能不能帮你呢?”
It's really awesome, it's meaningful, and remember, it's a conversation, it's not a cross examination, it's not an interview . 这真的很有意思,有意义。 而且记住,这是谈话, 不是盘问, 不是面试。
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
Don't walk in there and tell them everything you already know about them, because you did your research. 千万别一走进去 就把你想知道的都问出来, 就凭你了解过他们。
You don't get extra points for knowing how to use Google .
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
It's 75 percent them talking, 25 percent you listening. 75%是他们讲, 25%是你听。
It's better to be a good listener than a good showman . 做好一个倾听者 比好好秀一把来得更有用。
showman:n.玩杂耍的人;马戏团的老板;表演者;
And once you understand what they care about, you can talk to them about what you care about. 而且,一旦你了解了 他们看重什么, 你就能跟他们谈谈 你自己在乎什么。
You can tell them about you. 你可以跟他们讲讲你自己。
Now, when you do this, don't get too deep into the weeds , or you'll lose them. 如果要这么做的话, 别讲太多细枝末节的东西, 不然你抓不住他们的注意力。
weeds:n.野草(weed的复数形式); v.清除(weed的第三人称单数形式);
It's a lot like when I sit down with guys in finance , right, and I say, you know, "How's work?" 这就特别像, 我跟金融从业者商谈时, 我问, “呃,行情怎么样?”
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
I'm looking for, like, a thumbs up, thumbs down. 我其实想要的, 仅仅是简单的肯定或否定,
thumbs:n.拇指;;v.翘起拇指请求搭乘便车;用拇指摸;(thumb的第三人称单数和复数)
But what I get sometimes is a long description of how the markets are trending , and my brain leaves my body and starts to think about what time my dry cleaner closes. 但有些时候我得到的, 是关于市场趋势的 一段冗长的描述。 那我的思绪就直接开始神游, 开始想我的干洗店什么时候关门。
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型; trending:n.[统计]趋势;v.伸向;趋向;(trend的现在分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Like, I don't have capacity for that. 我就是听不下去。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
And they don't have capacity for that level detail of our work. 同样,我们的客户也没有能力 接受我们工作的那些细节。
If they want it, they'll ask you the questions. 如果他们想知道, 他们会问你的。
It's this thing that happens over and over , because -- here's an example. 这种事情一天到晚都在发生, 因为——举个例子,
over and over:反复;再三;
I worked with this CEO once, and I was hired to teach him how to talk to human people, like a human person. 我曾经跟一位总裁合作过, 他雇用我教他如何用人话 跟人类交流。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It was a very difficult job. 那是个格外艰难的工作。
So, he kept getting great donor meetings, and he wasn't closing any gifts. 一直有不错的捐助者会议来邀请他, 但他却一桩生意都没谈成。
And I could not figure out what the problem was, so finally , I was like, "I'm going to come with you." 我完全没办法找出 问题的根源, 所以最后,我就跟他说, “我要跟你一起去。没事的。”
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
So I went with him to meetings, and what would happen was, he was getting into such detail with the donors that their eyes were glazing over, and then after he was done with his 15-minute pitch , they literally would say -- this happened, like, three times in a row -- "God, that sounds great. Congratulations. 我就跟他一起去参会了。 结果,现场状况是, 他跟捐助者讲了太多细节, 搞得他们目光渐渐呆滞; 而在他花了十五分钟推销讲解后, 他们就真的只会说—— 这种情况连续发生了三次—— “哇,听起来不错。恭喜。
donors:n.捐赠人(donor的复数);[电子]施主; glazing:n.上釉;玻璃装配业;v.上釉(glaze的ing形式); pitch:v.抛:用力扔:针对:触地:n.场地:程度:力度:推销的话:纵摇:
Keep up the good work." 继续保持。”
And that was the meeting, which was obviously not the outcome we were looking for. 会议就到此结束, 而结果明显不是我们想要的。
outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
So, he couldn't understand what I was trying to say to him, that I finally, in an act of sheer desperation, was like ... 但他没办法搞懂我的意思, 最后我只能彻底绝望地说,
sheer:adj.纯; v.十足地; n.透明薄纱; v.[航海](使)偏航; (使)转向;
'"You know what I love? “你知道我喜欢什么吗?
I love NASA. 我喜欢美国国家航天局。
I love NASA. 我喜欢美国国家航天局。
I think it is unbelievably amazing we have figured out how to get a person to the Moon. 我觉得, 我们成功载人登月 非常了不起。
unbelievably:adv.难以置信地;不可信地;
I think it's awesome. 我觉得那真是厉害。
I think the idea of getting someone to the Moon, and they walk on the Moon, and I love rocket ships. 我认为 载人登月这个构想, 还有让他们在月球上行走—— 哦,老天爷,我特别喜欢太空船。
I love rocket ships, rocket ships are amazing. 我特别喜欢太空船, 太空船真是太惊人了。
But if you start to tell me about the rocket ship, and how it gets to the Moon, and the math and the science equations , on how the rocket ship gets to the Moon, 但如果你要告诉我 太空船的种种细节, 或者它是怎么登月的, 又或者是登月背后的 种种数学和科学方程,
equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式);
I promise you, I will hang myself with my own hair." 我向你保证,我会 用自己的头发把自己了结的。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
I was like, "That is not how you tell people about your work. 我说,“你不能那样 跟人介绍你的工作。
What is the need?" 有什么必要啊?”
Like, what's the point, right? 就是,有什么意义呢,对不对?
How do you address the need, why are you better at it than anybody else? 你如何满足需要, 你为什么比别人 都要擅长这件事,
And what can you do to make it about them? 还有你如何能让这件事 跟他们产生关系,
How can they help you get to the Moon? 他们怎样才能帮你到达月球?
That's the good stuff. 这些才是别人想听的东西。
If you're able to do that, you're probably ready to make the ask. 如果你能做到这一点, 你十有八九已经准备好提出请求了。
Now, I don't expect everyone to be super excited to ask people for money. 我并不期望 大家都对找别人要钱 感到超级激动,
That's why development is an actual profession and not an awkward hobby. 而这也是为什么 商业开发是种真正的职业, 而不是什么难以启齿的嗜好。
profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行; awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Naturally great fundraisers love people, they can and will talk to anyone, they can find common ground with anyone, they're your friends that talk to people in the elevator or at the grocery store. 一般来说,好的筹款者 都很喜欢跟人打交道。 他们有能力而且愿意跟任何人交谈, 他们能跟任何人找到共通的地方, 他们是那种敢在电梯里 或者杂货店里 跟人闲聊的朋友。
Naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; fundraisers:资金筹集人;资金筹集活动(fundraiser的名词复数); common ground:n.共同点; elevator:n.电梯;升降机;升降舵;起卸机; grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
They believe in the work required to both build relationships and keep them. 他们相信, 发展人脉和维持关系 都要投入精力。
And they naturally have a high tolerance for rejection . 他们也天生对拒绝 有着非凡的容忍度。
tolerance:n.公差;耐量;宽容;容忍; rejection:n.抛弃;拒绝;被抛弃的东西;盖帽;
But I don't expect everyone to be a natural, and you don't have to be a natural to raise money. 但我并不指望 每个人都有这种天赋, 而你筹钱 也不需要这种天赋。
You just have to respect the people and the process , and do the work. 你只需要对他人 还有整个过程心存敬意, 然后踏实做事。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
Will you reconcile your baggage? 你会不会与自己的包袱和解?
Will you commit to build relationships? 你会不会致力发展人脉?
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处;
If you will, you're ready to make the ask. 如果你会,你已经准备好开口询问了。
And the ask is oftentimes as simple as using the phrase "Would you consider?" 询问的方式一般都很简单, 只需要用这句话: “你要考虑一下吗?”
Would you consider becoming a monthly donor? 你要考虑成为按月捐助者吗?
monthly:n.月刊:adv.每个月:每月一次:adj.每月的:
Would you consider increasing your support to 100 dollars? 你要考虑把你的支持力度 提高到100美元吗?
Would you consider investing in our work at the one-million-dollar level? 你要考虑以百万美元的规模 投资我们的工作吗?
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
'"Would you consider" does a couple of awesome things. “你要考虑一下吗?”这句话 有几个很好的效果。
One, it gives the donor an easy way out. 第一,它给了捐助者一个台阶下。
Like, they can say "no" without it being "yes-no." 他们可以直截了当地说不, 不需要拐弯抹角。
And two, it gives you a second ask. 第二,它能让你问第二次。
'"Well, what would you consider?" “好吧,那你考虑要做什么呢?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's good, right? 挺不错的,对不对?
(Laughter) (笑声)
When you do this, remember, you're not asking for yourself. 记住,你在这么做的时候, 你不是在为自己而问。
You're asking on behalf of all of the people you serve or are touched by your genius . 你的发问,代表了你所服务的所有人, 也代表了被你的才华触动的人。
on behalf of:代表;为了; genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
This isn't a personal favor, right? 这可不是个人私事。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
Feel proud of the ask -- it's incredible that you do this work. 为自己询问感到自豪吧—— 你做这种工作很了不起。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
Don't try to be someone you're not, you're going to go to these meetings and think you need to big-shot it. 别试图装门面, 别想着在会议上扮大佬。
big-shot:大人物;要人;名人;
Be yourself, authenticity matters, nobody likes a phony .
authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性; phony:adj.伪造的;虚伪的;做作的;n.赝品;骗人的东西;骗子;
Just be yourself. 做你自己就好。
And please, please don't torpedo your own ask. 而且, 千万别在询问时 搬起石头砸自己的脚。
torpedo:n.鱼雷;v.用鱼雷袭击(或击沉);彻底破坏,完全摧毁;
What I mean by this is don't walk into the meeting and say -- I had an ED that did this all the time, 我的意思是, 别走进会议室,然后说—— 我之前有个执行董事就总是做这种事,
I stopped inviting him. 我就没邀请他了——
He'd say, "We're not here today to ask you for money." 他会说,“我们今天 不是来找你们要钱的。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yes, we are! 我们确实是来要钱的啊!
(Laughter) (笑声)
That's exactly, literally, why we're here today. 我们今天来这儿 就是为了这个原因啊!
Don't do that. 别那么做。
Don't say, "Whatever you can do to help." 别说,“随便帮什么忙都行。”
That is hands down the fastest way to get the smallest possible gift someone thinks they can give you and get away with . 这会一下子让人 以最快的速度 把最少的捐助给你, 好以此脱身。
hands down:adj.无疑的;唾手可得的; get away with:侥幸成功,侥幸逃脱;
Not kidding. 没开玩笑。
And don't take it back. 而且别收回你的询问。
Once you've made the ask -- "Would you consider supporting us at the 10,000-dollar level? 一旦你问了, “你愿意以一万美元的规模 支持我们吗?
Or the five? Or the two? Or one? 五千呢?不行两千?一千?
You know what? Take the year off. 不然这样,今年就算了。
You're the best, thanks!" 你最好了,谢谢你!”
Don't do that! 别这么做!
Ask the question, wait till 10, count to 10 before you speak again, keep your face like this. 问那个问题, 等十秒,数到十秒 再开口,在那之前, 保持这样的表情。
(Laughter) (笑声)
They are grown-ups . 他们是成年人,
grown-ups:n.成人(grown-up的复数形式);
They have all the power in this situation. 这种情况下, 他们有决策的权力,
They can answer the question. 他们能回答问题。
Don't take it back. 别收回你的问题。
Which brings me to my favorite. 这就涉及到了我最喜欢的一点。
Don't ask, don't get. 有问才有得。
If you don't make an actual ask, no one will give you actual money. 如果你不问, 没人会给你钱。
And if no one gives you actual money, you actually can't do anything with it. 如果没人给你钱, 你什么也做不了。
It's very simple -- don't ask, don't get. 非常简单——有问,才有得。
Listen, I would love to live in a world where we didn't have to ask people for money to do important work that will change people's lives. 听着,在我理想的世界里, 我们不需要找人要钱 就能完成 能改变人们生活的伟业。
I would love to not have to teach people how to make a case for the importance of feeding and housing and educating people. 我也想不教人 如何提出理由 才能说服别人粮食、住房 以及教育的重要性。
But this is the world that we live in, and if we're committed to doing this work, and doing it well, we have to be as committed to the art of funding this work as we are to the art of executing it. 但是,我们所生活的世界 并非这么理想。 如果我们致力于一项工作, 并且想把它做好, 我们就必须拿出 与执行工作本身同等的精力, 致力于为其筹款。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) executing:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的现在分词)
I'm going to repeat that, because I think it's really important. 我要再说一遍, 因为我觉得它真的很重要。
We have to be as committed to the art of funding our work as we are to the art of executing it. 我们必须拿出 与完成工作本身同等的精力, 致力于为其筹款。
And at its core , the art of funding the work means that we have to truly believe that the purpose and the privilege of our work is to provide people with an extraordinary way to use their wealth that will change people's lives. 本质上来说, 为工作筹款的艺术 意味着我们必须真正相信, 我们工作的目的和荣耀, 是给人们提供 一种非凡的方法 来利用他们的财富, 好改变人们的生活。
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
It's an opportunity, because at its core, that's what it is. 这是一个机会, 因为这就是它的本质所在。
And how great is that? 那它该有多伟大。
Thank you. 谢谢你们。
(Applause, cheers) (掌声,欢呼声)