|
|
KailashSatyarthi_2015-_让你的愤怒转变为全世界的和平_
|
Today, I am going to talk about anger. |
今天,我想谈一谈愤怒。 |
I am going to:我将要做什么事情
|
When I was 11, seeing some of my friends leaving the school because their parents could not afford textbooks made me angry. |
11岁的时候, 看到我的诸多朋友因为父母负担不起课本的费用 而被迫离开学校, 我怒不可遏; |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
When I was 27, hearing the plight of a desperate slave father whose daughter was about to be sold to a brothel made me angry. |
27岁时, 听到一个绝望的奴隶父亲的困境, 他的女儿将被卖到妓院, 让我怒不可遏; |
plight:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定; desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的; was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将; brothel:n.妓院;
|
At the age of 50, lying on the street, in a pool of blood, along with my own son, made me angry. |
在我50岁时, 我的儿子与我 躺在街上的血泊中, 让我怒不可遏。 |
Dear friends, for centuries we were taught anger is bad. |
亲爱的朋友们,百年来我们都被教导说,愤怒是不好的。 |
Our parents, teachers, priests -- everyone taught us how to control and suppress our anger. |
父母,老师,牧师—— 所有人都在教我们如何控制愤怒,平息怒火。 |
priests:n.司祭,神父;教士,祭司,僧侣;(priest的复数) suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止;
|
But I ask why? |
但我想问,为什么? |
Why can't we convert our anger for the larger good of society? |
我们为什么不能将愤怒转变为推动社会进步的力量? |
convert:v.转换; n.改变宗教(或信仰、观点)的人;
|
Why can't we use our anger to challenge and change the evils of the world? |
我们为什么不能让怒火 焚烧天下的罪恶? |
That I tried to do. |
而这正是我所做的。 |
Friends, most of the brightest ideas came to my mind out of anger. |
朋友们, 是愤怒赋予我那些最为绝妙的想法, |
Like when I was 35 and sat in a locked-up, tiny prison. |
正如我35岁时在狭小、禁闭的牢房里度过的那一晚, |
The whole night, I was angry. |
心膛的怒火整晚都没有消逝, |
But it has given birth to a new idea. |
但正是怒火燃出了一个全新的想法。 |
But I will come to that later on. |
这个后面再谈。 |
Let me begin with the story of how I got a name for myself. |
我先讲一下我名字由来的故事。 |
I had been a big admirer of Mahatma Gandhi since my childhood . |
自小我就是圣雄甘地的崇拜者。 |
admirer:n.爱慕者;赞赏者;钦佩者; Mahatma:n.大圣;超人; Gandhi:n.甘地(印度政府,社会和宗教领袖); childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
Gandhi fought and lead India's freedom movement. |
甘地引领了印度民族解放运动, |
But more importantly, he taught us how to treat the most vulnerable sections, the most deprived people, with dignity and respect. |
但更为重要的是, 他教会了我们如何尊重最弱势的群体, 那些一无所有的人民。 |
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; deprived:adj.缺少食物的;缺乏足够教育的; dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
|
And so, when India was celebrating |
因此,在1969年—印度人民庆祝 |
Mahatma Gandhi's birth centenary in 1969 -- at that time I was 15 -- an idea came to my mind. |
圣雄甘地的诞辰时 --那是我15岁-- 我有了一个想法。 |
centenary:n.一百年;百年纪念;adj.一百年的;
|
Why can't we celebrate it differently? |
为什么不能换一种方式来庆祝呢? |
I knew, as perhaps many of you might know, that in India, a large number of people are born in the lowest segment of caste . |
也许你们很多人都知道, 在印度种姓制度下,很多人生来就是最低等级, |
segment:n.段;部分;片;弓形;v.分割;划分; caste:n.(印度社会中的)种姓;(具有严格等级差别的)社会地位;(排他的)社会团体;
|
And they are treated as untouchables . |
他们被称为「贱民」。 |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) untouchables:n.贱民(untouchable的复数);被遗弃的人;
|
These are the people -- forget about allowing them to go to the temples, they cannot even go into the houses and shops of high-caste people. |
他们, 别说去寺庙了, 他们甚至连高等级贵族的房屋和商店都进不去。 |
So I was very impressed with the leaders of my town who were speaking very highly against the caste system and untouchability and talking of Gandhian ideals. |
因此,我十分敬佩那些致力于 反对种姓制和贱民制, 并弘扬甘地理想的领袖们。 |
impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式) highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地;
|
So inspired by that, I thought, let us set an example by inviting these people to eat food cooked and served by the untouchable community . |
受其鼓舞,我想开一个先河, 邀请他们来贱民的社区,让贱民做东, 宴请这些领袖们。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
I went to some low-caste, so-called untouchable, people, tried to convince them, but it was unthinkable for them. |
我去跟一些低阶层的“贱民”攀谈, 让他们接受我的想法,但他们觉得这是不可想象的。 |
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说; unthinkable:adj.不能想象的;过分的;
|
They told me, "No, no. It's not possible. It never happened." |
他们告诉我,「不,不。这是不可能的。这从来没有过」 |
I said, "Look at these leaders, they are so great, they are against untouchability. |
我说,「看看这些领袖, 他们这么伟大,竭力反对贱民制。 |
They will come. If nobody comes, we can set an example." |
他们会来的。如果他们不来,我和我的朋友们可以做一个表率。」 |
These people thought that I was too naive . |
他们觉得我太天真了。 |
naive:adj.天真的,幼稚的;
|
Finally , they were convinced . |
但最后,我还是说服了他们。 |
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
|
My friends and I took our bicycles and invited political leaders. |
我的朋友和我骑着自行车去邀请那些政治领袖们。 |
And I was so thrilled , rather, empowered to see that each one of them agreed to come. |
令我激动万分的是,不,是被赋予了力量, 他们每个人都答应我会出席。 |
thrilled:adj.非常兴奋; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的过去分词和过去式) empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
|
I thought, "Great idea. We can set an example. |
我想,「太好了,我们可以开一个先河了, |
We can bring about change in the society." |
我们可以为社会带来变化了。」 |
The day has come. |
那一天到了, |
All these untouchables, three women and two men, they agreed to come. |
贱民们,包括三个女人和两个男人, 都来了。 |
I could recall that they had used the best of their clothes. |
我至今仍能回忆起,那天他们穿着最好的衣服, |
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令;
|
They brought new utensils . |
摆出新的餐具, |
utensils:n.餐具;[轻]器具;炊具(utensil的复数);
|
They had taken baths hundreds of times because it was unthinkable for them to do. |
来之前洗了无数次澡, 因为对他们来说是难以想象的事情。 |
It was the moment of change. |
变革的曙光即将来临。 |
They gathered. Food was cooked. |
他们聚在一起,在7点时 |
It was 7 o'clock. |
食物都准备好了。 |
By 8 o'clock, we kept on waiting, because it's not very uncommon that the leaders become late, for an hour or so. |
到8点时,我们还在等, 因为领袖们总是要迟到那么一会的, 也许是一小时,这并不罕见。 |
uncommon:adj.不寻常的;罕有的;adv.非常地;
|
So after 8 o'clock, we took our bicycles and went to these leaders' homes, just to remind them. |
8点过后,我们骑上自行车,前往那些领军者的家中, 提醒他们。 |
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
One of the leader's wives told me, "Sorry, he is having some headache, perhaps he cannot come." |
一位领袖的夫人告诉我, 「很抱歉,他头有些疼,他可能去不了了。」 |
I went to another leader and his wife told me, "Okay, you go, he will definitely join." |
我去找另一位领袖, 他的夫人说,「好,你先去,他一定会去的。」 |
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
|
So I thought that the dinner will take place , though not at that large a scale . |
所以我想这场宴会还是能举行的, 规模小一点罢了。 |
take place:发生;举行; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
I went back to the venue , which was a newly built Mahatma Gandhi Park. |
我回到了宴会,是一个新建成的圣雄甘地公园。 |
venue:n.审判地;犯罪地点;发生地点;集合地点;
|
It was 10 o'clock. |
到了10点钟, |
None of the leaders showed up. |
领袖一位都没有来。 |
That made me angry. |
这让我很愤怒。 |
I was standing, leaning against Mahatma Gandhi's statue . |
当时我站着靠在圣雄甘地雕塑前, |
leaning:n.倾向;偏向;爱好;v.前俯(或后仰);倾斜;倚靠;(lean的现在分词) statue:n.雕像;塑像;铸像;v.用雕像装饰;
|
I was emotionally drained , rather exhausted . |
身心俱疲。 |
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; drained:adj.精疲力竭; v.排空; (drain的过去分词和过去式) exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
|
Then I sat down where the food was lying. |
然后我在就餐处坐了下来, |
I kept my emotions on hold. |
努力控制着内心情绪。 |
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
|
But then, when I took the first bite, |
但后来,当我吃了第一口食物时, |
I broke down in tears. |
泪水便止不住了。 |
And suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. |
突然,一只手搭在了我的肩上, |
And it was the healing , motherly touch of an untouchable woman. |
是一位女性贱民,她那慈祥的触碰抚过我的内心, |
healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词) motherly:adj.母亲的;慈母般的;
|
And she told me, "Kailash, why are you crying? |
她说,「Kailash,你为什么在哭? |
You have done your bit. |
你已经尽力了, |
You have eaten the food cooked by untouchables, which has never happened in our memory." |
你吃了贱民做的食物, 这在我们记忆中是从未发生过的。」 |
She said, "You won today." |
她说,「今天你成功了。」 |
And my friends, she was right. |
朋友们,她说得对。 |
I came back home, a little after midnight, shocked to see that several high-caste elderly people were sitting in my courtyard . |
我回到家时,已过午夜, 很惊奇地看到几位高等级的长者 坐在我家的院子里。 |
elderly:adj.上了年纪的;过了中年的;稍老的; courtyard:n.院子;
|
I saw my mother and elderly women were crying and they were pleading to these elderly people because they had threatened to outcaste my whole family. |
我看到我的母亲和几位年长的妇女哭着 乞求那些长者, 因为他们威胁要将我们全家逐出种姓,沦为贱民。 |
pleading:n.恳求;答辩;辩论,诉状;adj.恳求的;v.辩护(plead的ing形式);
|
And you know, outcasting the family is the biggest social punishment one can think of. |
你们知道的,逐出种姓是可以想象到的 最严厉的惩罚。 |
punishment:n.惩罚;严厉对待,虐待;
|
Somehow they agreed to punish only me, and the punishment was purification . |
后来他们同意只惩罚我一个人,罚我净化心灵以涤罪, |
Somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; purification:n.净化;提纯;涤罪;
|
That means I had to go 600 miles away from my hometown to the River Ganges to take a holy dip . |
这意味着我不得不远走家乡,去600英里外的恒河, 受神圣之水的洗礼。 |
dip:n.游一游; v.蘸;
|
And after that, I should organize a feast for priests, 101 priests, wash their feet and drink that water. |
这之后,我需要办一个宴会,召集101位牧师, 为他们洗脚,然后喝下洗脚水。 |
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理; feast:n.盛宴;宴会;(宗教的)节日;v.尽情享用(美味佳肴);
|
It was total nonsense , and I refused to accept that punishment. |
这是一派胡言, 我拒绝接受惩罚。 |
nonsense:n.胡说;废话;adj.荒谬的;int.胡说;
|
How did they punish me? |
后来他们怎么惩罚我的呢? |
I was barred from entering into my own kitchen and my own dining room , my utensils were separated. |
我被禁止进自家厨房和餐厅, 我的餐具被区分开来。 |
dining room:n.餐厅;
|
But the night when I was angry, they wanted to outcaste me. |
但在他们想将我逐出种姓的那一晚,我怒不可遏, |
But I decided to outcaste the entire caste system. |
我决定要废除整个种姓制度。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And that was possible because the beginning would have been to change the family name, or surname , because in India, most of the family names are caste names. |
我首先要把我的姓改掉, 这个愿望才可以实现, 因为在印度,大多人的姓就是种姓, |
surname:n.姓,姓氏;绰号,别名;vt.给…起别名;给…姓氏;
|
So I decided to drop my name. |
所以我决定要换掉名字, |
And then, later on, I gave a new name to myself: Satyarthi, that means, "seeker of truth." |
后来,我给自己起了一个新名字,Satyarthi, 这个词的意思是,「真理追求者」。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And that was the beginning of my transformative anger. |
由此我开始了「转换愤怒之旅」。 |
transformative:adj.变化的,变形的;有改革能力的;
|
Friends, maybe one of you can tell me, what was I doing before becoming a children's rights activist ? |
朋友们,也许你们中有人知道, 我在成为儿童人权活动家前的工作是什么。 |
activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子;
|
Does anybody know? |
有人知道吗? |
I was an engineer, an electrical engineer. |
我曾是一个工程师,电气工程师。 |
electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的;
|
And then I learned how the energy of burning fire, coal, the nuclear blast inside the chambers , raging river currents, fierce winds, could be converted into the light and lives of millions. |
那时我了解到如何 可以把燃烧、煤炭、 核聚变、 翻涌的河流、 劲风的能量 转化为光能,惠及千家万户。 |
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; blast:n.爆炸; v.爆破; chambers:n.内庭(chamber的复数); raging:adj.愤怒的,狂暴的;v.发怒,恼火(rage的现在分词); fierce:adj.凶猛的;猛烈的;暴躁的; converted:adj.修改的;改变信仰的;v.转变;改变信仰(convert的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
I also learned how the most uncontrollable form of energy could be harnessed for good and making society better. |
我也了解到,如何可以让那些最不可控的能源 也被利用,造福社会。 |
uncontrollable:adj.无法控制的;无法管束的;难以驾驭的; harnessed:v.给(马等)上挽具;控制,利用(以产生能量等);(harness的过去式和过去分词)
|
So I'll come back to the story of when I was caught in the prison: |
现在回到我被关在监狱里的故事: |
I was very happy freeing a dozen children from slavery , handing them over to their parents. |
那时我解救了十多个被奴役的孩子, 让他们与父母团聚,让我感到无比开心, |
slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的;
|
I cannot explain my joy when I free a child. |
这种幸福感难以用言语表达, |
I was so happy. |
简直太开心了。 |
But when I was waiting for my train to come back to my hometown, Delhi , |
但是,当我准备回到新德里的家,等火车开来时, |
Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名);
|
I saw that dozens of children were arriving; they were being trafficked by someone. |
我看到数十个孩子到了车站, 他们被一个人押解着进行贩卖。 |
I stopped them, those people. |
我拦下他们, |
I complained to the police. |
并喊来警察。 |
complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式)
|
So the policemen, instead of helping me, they threw me in this small, tiny shell , like an animal. |
这些警察没有帮助我, 反而将我关在一个狭小的牢笼里,当我是动物一样。 |
shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill;
|
And that was the night of anger when one of the brightest and biggest ideas was born. |
这个愤怒的夜晚 酝酿出了一个最伟大、最聪明的主意。 |
I thought that if I keep on freeing 10 children, and 50 more will join, that's not done. |
我想,即使我能再解救10个孩子,另外会有50个孩子又变成奴隶, 这解决不了问题。 |
And I believed in the power of consumers , and let me tell you that this was the first time when a campaign was launched by me or anywhere in the world, to educate and sensitize the consumers to create a demand for child-labor-free rugs. |
我相信消费者的力量, 让我告诉你,这是第一次 一个运动,由我或世界上任何一个地方发起, 来教育消费者并让他们有敏感度 来创造一个对 “无童工地毯“ 的需求 |
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数) launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) sensitize:v.使敏感;使意识到;使(对…)过敏;
|
In Europe and America, we have been successful. |
在欧洲和美洲,我们都非常成功。 |
And it has resulted in a fall in child labor in South Asian countries by 80 percent. |
这个运动使得南亚国家的童工数量 下降了80%。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Not only that , but this first-ever consumer's power, or consumer's campaign has grown in other countries and other industries, maybe chocolate, maybe apparel , maybe shoes -- it has gone beyond. |
不仅于此,这个史无先例的消费者的力量, 或消费者运动渗透到了其他国家和其他行业, 巧克力业,服装业,鞋业——甚至更多。 |
only that:只是;要不是; first-ever:adj.第一例;前所未有; apparel:n.服装;衣服;vt.给…穿衣;
|
My anger at the age of 11, when I realized how important education is for every child, |
我11岁时的愤怒—— 当我意识到教育对每个孩子的重要性—— |
I got an idea to collect used books and help the poorest children. |
让我有了新的想法,收集旧书,帮助贫穷孩子。 |
I created a book bank at the age of 11. |
在11岁时我建立了一个图书银行, |
But I did not stop. |
但我没有止步于此, |
Later on, I cofounded the world's single largest civil society campaign for education that is the Global Campaign for Education. |
后来,我与他人共同创立了 世界上最大的为教育进行的公民社会运动—— 全球教育运动。 |
civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
That has helped in changing the whole thinking towards education from the charity mode to the human rights mode, and that has concretely helped the reduction of out-of-school children by half in the last 15 years. |
这场运动在一定程度上颠覆了人们对于教育的认识, 从慈善的角度转变为人权的角度, 过去15年里退学儿童的数量减少了一半, 这场运动功不可没。 |
charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物; concretely:adv.具体地; reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
My anger at the age of 27, to free that girl who was about to be sold to a brothel, has given me an idea to go for a new strategy of raid and rescue , freeing children from slavery. |
27岁时的愤怒—— 为解救那个将要被卖到妓院的女孩—— 让我有了新的想法, 以全新的策略开展袭击和营救, 拯救那些被奴役的孩子。 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; raid:n.袭击;突击;(军舰等的)游击;(盗贼,狐等的)侵入;v.袭击(警察)抄查; rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救;
|
And I am so lucky and proud to say that it is not one or 10 or 20, but my colleagues and I have been able to physically liberate 83,000 child slaves and hand them over back to their families and mothers. |
很幸运的是,也让我很自豪的是,我们拯救的孩子的数量 不是个位数,也不是十位数,而是8万3千个, 重获自由,回到母亲的身边。 |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); liberate:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I knew that we needed global policies . |
我知道政策需要拓展到全球。 |
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
|
We organized the worldwide marches against child labor and that has also resulted in a new international convention to protect the children who are in the worst forms. |
我们组织了全球范围内的反对童工的运动, 这促成了一个全新的国际公约, 保护那些受苦受难的孩子。 |
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式) worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地; convention:n.习俗;惯例;协定;常规;
|
And the concrete result was that the number of child laborers globally has gone down by one third in the last 15 years. |
具体的结果是过去15年间,全世界的童工数量 减少了三分之一。 |
laborers:n.劳动者(laborer的复数);工人;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So, in each case, it began from anger, turned into an idea, and action. |
都是从愤怒开始, 转变为新的想法, 进而行动。 |
So anger, what next? |
愤怒,后面是? |
Idea, and -- |
想法,然后—— |
Audience: Action |
观众:行动。 |
Kailash Satyarthi: Anger, idea, action. Which I tried to do. |
愤怒,想法,行动。这是我一直努力践行的。 |
Anger is a power, anger is an energy, and the law of nature is that energy can never be created and never be vanished , can never be destroyed. |
愤怒是力量,愤怒是能量, 自然的法则是能量 不会凭空产生,也不会消逝,能量不会被毁灭。 |
vanished:v.消失了;突然消失;消亡;绝迹;(vanish的过去分词和过去式)
|
So why can't the energy of anger be translated and harnessed to create a better and beautiful world, a more just and equitable world? |
为什么愤怒的能量不能被转变并加以利用, 塑造一个更美好、更公正和平的的世界呢? |
equitable:adj.公平的,公正的;平衡法的;
|
Anger is within each one of you, and I will share a secret for a few seconds: that if we are confined in the narrow shells of egos , and the circles of selfishness , then the anger will turn out to be hatred , violence , revenge , destruction . |
你们每个人心里都有愤怒, 我要跟你们分享一个秘密: 如果我们局限在自我的狭壳中, 自私的循环里, 愤怒就会转变为怨恨、暴力、报复和破坏。 |
confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; shells:n.壳;壳状物;炮弹;v.炮击;给…去壳(shell的第三人称单数和复数) egos:n.自我(ego的复数); selfishness:n.自私自利;自我中心;任性; hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; revenge:n.报复;复仇;v.报复;替…报仇;洗雪; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
|
But if we are able to break the circles, then the same anger could turn into a great power. |
但如果我们能够打破这个循环, 同样的愤怒就可以转变为伟大的力量。 |
We can break the circles by using our inherent compassion and connect with the world through compassion to make this world better. |
我们可以通过内在的同情心来打破循环, 并通过同情心,与世界联通,让世界变得更美好。 |
inherent:adj.固有的;内在的;与生俱来的,遗传的; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
|
That same anger could be transformed into it. |
同样的愤怒也可以转变为同情心。 |
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
|
So dear friends, sisters and brothers, again, as a Nobel Laureate , |
因此,亲爱的朋友们,兄弟姐妹们,作为诺贝尔奖获得者, |
Laureate:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
|
I am urging you to become angry. |
我鼓励你们内心激荡愤怒之情, |
And the angriest among us is the one who can transform his anger into idea and action. |
我们中最怒火焚烧的那一位 将会将其怒火转变为想法和行动。 |
Thank you so much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Chris Anderson: For many years, you've been an inspiration to others. |
Chris Anderson: 多年来,你一直是别人的激励, |
Who or what inspires you and why? |
是谁,或者是什么激励着你?为什么? |
inspires:激励;赋予灵感(inspire的第三人称单数);
|
KS: Good question. |
KS:好问题, |
Chris, let me tell you, and that is the truth, each time when I free a child, the child who has lost all his hope that he will ever come back to his mother, the first smile of freedom, and the mother who has lost all hope |
Chris,让我告诉你,是实话, 每当我解救一个孩子, 解救一个失去全部希望、不曾幻想过回到 母亲身边的孩子, 绝望的母亲也不曾幻想 |
that the son or daughter can ever come back and sit in her lap, they become so emotional and the first tear of joy rolls down on her cheek, |
她的儿子或女儿会回到她身边, 他们会如此欢欣和感动, 在母亲脸庞上滑落的第一颗泪珠上 |
I see the glimpse of God in it -- this is my biggest inspiration. |
我看到了上帝——这就是我最激励我的。 |
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹;
|
And I am so lucky that not once, as I said before, but thousands of times, |
让我感到幸运的是,如前所说,我不止一次,而是千千万万次 |
as I said:正如我所说的
|
I have been able to witness my God in the faces of those children and they are my biggest inspirations. |
在那些孩子脸上看到上帝, 这就是激励我不断前行的动力。 |
witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |