返回首页

JunaKollmeier_2019-_关于星系,黑洞和恒星最详细的地图_-

When I was a kid, I was afraid of the dark. 当我还是孩子时,我很惧怕黑暗。
The darkness is where the monsters are. 黑暗是怪兽出没的地方。
And I had this little night light outside of my bedroom so that it would never get too dark. 我的卧室外面有一盏小小的夜灯, 这样我的房间就不会一片漆黑。
night light:n.夜明灯;通宵蜡烛;
But over time, my fear of the dark turned to curiosity . 但是随着时间推移, 我对黑暗的恐惧变成了好奇。
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
What is out there in the "dark-dark?" 黑暗中都有什么?
And it turns out that trying to understand the darkness is something that's fascinated humans for thousands of years, maybe forever. 我发现 数千年来,人类一直在试图探索黑暗, 这种好奇心可能永远不会消逝。
And we know this because we find their ancient relics of their attempts to map the sky. 我们知道这一点, 是因为我们找到了祖先们试图绘制 星空位置的古老遗迹。
relics:n.遗迹;遗骸;纪念物(relic的复数); attempts:n.企图,试图;尝试(attempt的复数);v.试图;努力去做(attempt的三单形式);
This tusk is over 30,000 years old. 这只象牙已经有3万年的历史了。
tusk:n.长牙;尖头,尖形物;vt.以牙刺戳;以长牙掘;
Some people think that it's a carving of Orion or maybe a calendar . 有些人认为这里雕刻的是猎户座, 也可能只是一个日历。
carving:n.雕刻品;雕刻图案;雕像;雕刻术;v.雕刻;把(熟肉)切成块;(carve的现在分词) Orion:n.猎户星座;俄里翁(希腊神话人物); calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
We don't know. 我们不知道。
The Fuxi star map is over 6,000 years old, and it's from a neolithic tomb in ancient China. 伏羲星图已有6000多年的历史, 它来自中国一座新石器时代的古墓。
neolithic:adj.[古]新石器时代的;早先的;
And that little pile of clamshells underneath the dead guy's foot in the middle -- that's supposed to be the Big Dipper . 中间那个死人脚下的 一堆蛤壳—— 应该是北斗七星。
pile:n.桩;堆;摞;桩柱;v.堆放;摞起;叠放;放置; clamshells:n.蛤壳;蛤壳状挖泥器;(clamshells是clamshell的复数); underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) Big Dipper:n.过山车;北斗七星;大熊星座;
Maybe. 也许是吧。
The Nebra disk is uncontroversial . 内布拉星象盘上的图案 更是一目了然。
uncontroversial:adj.非争论性的;不会引起争论的;
You don't have to be an astronomer to know that you're looking at the Moon phases or the Sun in eclipse . 即使你不是天文学家,也能认出 这图案代表月相或日食中的太阳。
astronomer:n.天文学家; phases:n.阶段,时期(phase的复数形式);v.逐步实行(phase的三单形式); eclipse:v.使黯然失色;形成蚀;n.日蚀,月蚀;黯然失色;
And that little group of seven stars, that's the Pleiades , the Seven Sisters . 凑在一起的那七颗星 就是昴宿星,七姐妹星。
Pleiades:n.昴宿星;昴宿星团; Seven Sisters:n.昴星团(七颗亮星);七姊妹星团;
But in any case , the point is clear: astronomers have been mapping the sky for a long time. 但无论如何,有一点是清楚的: 天文学家对天空进行测绘 已经有很长时间了。
in any case:无论如何; astronomers:天文学家;
Why? 他们为什么这么做呢?
It's our calling card as a species in the galaxy to figure things out. 这是我们作为星系中的一个物种 来解决问题的标志。
calling card:n.(尤指旧时访客留下或其他人用以表示到访的)名片; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人;
We know our planet, we cure our diseases , we cook our food, we leave our planet. 我们了解我们的星球, 能治愈我们的疾病, 会烹饪我们的食物, 甚至还能离开我们的星球进入太空。
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
But it's not easy. 但这并不容易。
Understanding the universe is battle. 探索宇宙是一场战斗。
It is unrelenting , it is time-varying , and it is one we are all in together. 充满艰辛,变幻无穷, 我们所有人都置身其中。
unrelenting:adj.无情的;不屈不挠的;不松懈的; time-varying:adj.随时间而变的;随时间变化的;
It is a battle in the darkness against the darkness. 这是一场在黑暗中对抗黑暗的战斗。
Which is why Orion has weapons. 这就是猎户座拥有武器的原因。
In any case, if you're going to engage in this battle, you need to know the battlefield . 无论如何,如果你要参与这场战斗, 就需要了解身处的战场。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; battlefield:n.战场;沙场;斗争的领域;容易引发冲突的情况
So at its core , mapping the sky involves three essential elements . 测绘天空地图的 核心包括三个基本要素。
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
You've got objects that are giving off light, you've got telescopes that are collecting that light, and you've got instruments that are helping you understand what that light is. 有发光的观测对象, 有收集光线的望远镜, 还有帮助你 分析理解这些光线的仪器。
telescopes:n.望远镜; v.套叠; (telescope的第三人称单数) instruments:n.器械;仪器;器具;手段(instrument的复数)
Many of you have mapped the Moon phases over time with your eyes, your eyes being your more basic telescope. 我们当中很多人 都用眼睛观测过月相图, 眼睛是很基础的望远镜。
And you've understood what that means with your brains, your brains being one of your more basic instruments. 我们也理解了大脑 扮演着什么样的角色, 大脑就是最基础的分析仪器。
Now, if you and a buddy get together , you would spend over 30 years, you would map 1,000 stars extremely precisely. 如果你和一个朋友在一起, 花费30多年的时间, 你就能绘制出1000 颗 恒星极其精确的图像。
buddy:n.伙伴,好朋友;密友;小男孩;v.做好朋友,交朋友; get together:聚会 extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
You would move the front line to the battle. 你要把前线搬到战场上去。
front line:adj.前线的;第一线的;
And that's what Tycho Brahe and his buddy, or his assistant, really, 这就是第谷 · 布拉赫和他的伙伴, 确切的说是他的助手,
Johannes Kepler did back in the 1600s. 约翰尼斯 · 开普勒在17世纪所做的。
Johannes:n.葡萄牙18,19世纪的金币; Kepler:na.Kepler;
And they moved the line, figured out how planets worked, how they moved around the Sun. 他们移动了这条线, 弄清楚了行星的运动轨迹, 它们是如何围绕太阳运转的。
But it wasn't until about 100 years ago that we realized it's a big universe. 但直到大约100年前, 我们才意识到 这个宇宙很大。
It seems like the universe is just infinite , which it is, but the observable universe is finite. 宇宙看起来是无边无际的, 事实也确实如此, 但是可观测的宇宙是有限的。
infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; observable:adj.显著的;觉察得到的;看得见的;n.[物]可观察量;感觉到的事物;
Which means we can win the battle. 这意味着我们可以赢得这场战斗。
But if you're going to map the universe, you're not going to do it with one or two of your besties. 但如果你要绘制宇宙地图, 叫上一两个好朋友是不够的。
Mapping the universe takes an army, an army of curious , creative , craftspeople who, working together, can accomplish the extraordinary . 绘制宇宙地图需要一支军队, 一支充满好奇心、富有创造力、 技艺精湛的军队, 他们齐心协力, 就可以完成非凡的任务。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; creative:adj.创造性的; craftspeople:n.手艺人;工匠; accomplish:v.完成;实现;达到; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
I lead this army of creatives , in the fifth generation of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey , SDSS. 我领导着这支创意大军, 参加了第五代斯隆 数字巡天项目,简称SDSS。
creatives:n.创意人员(creative的复数); fifth generation:adj.第五代的;人工智能机的;n.第五代; Digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; Survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地;
And this is how astronomers have managed to shepherd individual curiosity through its industrial age, preserving the individual ability to make discoveries but putting into place mega machinery to truly advance the frontier. 这就是天文学家们 如何在工业时代成功的: 他们激发了个人的好奇心, 保留了个人探索的能力, 同时投入巨大的机器来 真正推进探索的边界。
shepherd:vt.牧羊;带领;指导;看管;n.牧羊人;牧师;指导者; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; preserving:n.保留,保存; mega:n.百万;adj.许多;宏大的;adv.非常; machinery:n.机械;机器;机构;机械装置;
In SDSS, we divide the sky into three mappers : one for the stars, one for the black holes and one for the galaxies . 在SDSS中,我们将天空 分割成三个探索区域: 一个探索恒星,一个探索黑洞, 一个探索星系。
mappers:映射器;参与者;映射集; galaxies:n.银河; (galaxy的复数)
My survey has two hemispheres , five telescopes, or 11, depending on how you count, 10 spectrographs and millions of objects. 我的测绘范围包含两个半球, 5个望远镜,或者11个, 取决于你怎么计数, 10个摄谱仪 以及数百万个观测对象。
hemispheres:n.[天]半球(hemisphere的复数形式);
It's a monster . 这真是一个庞然大物。
monster:n.怪物;恶魔;庞然大物;adj.巨大的;
So let's go through the mappers. 下面我们来看看这几个区域。
The Milky Way galaxy has 250 billion plus or minus a few hundred billion stars. 银河系有2500亿颗恒星, 误差可能有几千亿。
Milky Way:na.[天]银河; minus:prep.减,减去;n.负号,减号;不足;负数;adj.减的;负的;
That is not a number that you hold in your head. 这个数字大到难以想象。
That is a number that doesn't make practical sense to pretty much anybody. 这个数字对任何人来说 都没有实际意义。
practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课;
You never get 250 billion jelly beans in your hand. You know? 生活中根本见不到这么大的数字。
jelly:n.果冻;胶状物;vi.成胶状;vt.使结冻;
We're nowhere near mapping all of those stars yet. 我们离测绘出所有这些 恒星的分布还差得远。
nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
So we have to choose the most interesting ones. 所以我们必须聚焦最有趣的那些。
In SDSS-V, we're mapping six million stars where we think we can measure their age. 在SDSS-V中,我们正在 测绘600万颗恒星的图像, 我们认为可以测算它们的年龄。
Because if you can measure the age of a star, that's like having six million clocks spread all throughout the Milky Way. 因为如果你能测算一颗恒星的年龄, 那就像在银河系里分布着六百万个时钟。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
And with that information, we can unravel the history and fossil record of our galaxy and learn how it formed. 有了这些信息, 我们就可以揭开银河系的 历史和化石记录, 了解它的起源。
unravel:v.解开;解体;阐释;说明;澄清;变得清楚易懂; fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的;
I'm just going to cut right to the chase here. 我直接切入正题。
Black holes are among the most perplexing objects in the universe. 黑洞是宇宙中最令人困惑的物质之一。
perplexing:adj.令人不解的;v.迷惑;使困惑;(perplex的现在分词)
Why? 为什么?
Because they are literally just math incarnate , in a physical form, that we barely understand. 因为它们几乎是数学实体化的结果, 以一种我们几乎无法理解的 物理形式存在着。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: incarnate:adj.化身的;人体化的;肉色的;vt.体现;使…具体化;使实体化; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
It's like the number zero being animated and walking around the corridors here. 就像数字0的动画影像 在我们身边走来走去一样。
animated:adj.栩栩如生的; v.使具活力; (animate的过去分词和过去式) corridors:n.廊道,[建]走廊(corridor的复数形式);
That would be super weird . 那太奇怪了。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
These are weirder . 而黑洞的存在更令人匪夷所思。
weirder:怪诞的(weird的比较级);神秘而可怕的;超然的;古怪的;
And it's not just like a basketball that you smoosh down into a little point and it's super dense and that's weird. 它不像一个篮球, 不是把它塞进一个小点, 密度就变得非常大。
dense:adj.稠密的;浓厚的;愚钝的;
No, smooshed basketballs have a surface. 被压缩的篮球好歹还有表面,
These things don't have surfaces, and we know that now. 这些东西没有表面, 我们现在已经知道黑洞这点了。
Because we've seen it. 因为我们见过黑洞,
Or the lack of it. 或者应该说,我们看到它没有表面。
What's really interesting about black holes is that we can learn a lot about them by studying the material just as it passes through that point of no information return. 黑洞最有意思的地方在于, 我们可以通过研究穿过一个 没有信息返回的点的 物质来充分了解黑洞。
Because at that point, it's emitting lots of X-rays and optical and UV and radio waves. 因为在那个点, 该物质会发射出大量的X射线、 可见光、紫外线和无线电波。
emitting:v.发出,射出,散发(光、热、声音、气等);(emit的现在分词) optical:adj.光学的;眼睛的,视觉的;
We can actually learn how these objects grow. 我们可以知道这些黑洞是如何膨胀的。
And in SDSS, we're looking at over half a million supermassive black holes, to try to understand how they formed. 在SDSS中,我们观察了 超过50万个超大质量黑洞, 试图了解它们是如何形成的。
supermassive:adj.特大质量的;
Like I said, we live in the Milky Way, you guys are all familiar with that. 就像我说的, 我们生活在银河系,你们都很熟悉。
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
The Milky Way is a completely average galaxy. 银河系是个十分普通的星系,
Nothing funny going on. 没有任何光怪陆离的现象。
But it's ours, which is great. 而这正是我们的家乡,这一点很不错。
We think that the Milky Way, and all the Milky Ways, have this really disturbing past of literally blowing themselves apart. 我们认为银河系,以及所有的银河系, 在过去都发生了 惊心动魄的爆炸。
disturbing:adj.引起烦恼的;令人不安的;v.打扰;干扰;搅乱;使不安;(disturb的现在分词)
It's like every average guy you know has a history as a punk rock teenager. 就好比你认识的每个普通人 都曾是朋克摇滚的叛逆少年。
punk:n.废物;小阿飞;年轻无知的人;adj.朋客,崩客;无用的,低劣的;
That's very bizarre . 这是非常奇怪的。
bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等);
Stars are blowing up in these systems, black holes are growing at their centers and emitting a tremendous amount of energy. 恒星在这些系统中爆炸, 中心形成了黑洞, 并释放出巨大的能量。
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的;
How does that happen, how does this transformation happen? 这是怎么发生的, 这种变化是怎么发生的?
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
And at SDSS, we're going to the bellies of the beast and zooming way in, to look at these processes where they are occurring in order to understand how Sid Vicious grows up into Ward Cleaver . 而在SDSS,我们要深入 这些星系怪物的内部, 一路上将观察到的景象放大, 看看这些过程在哪里发生, 以便了解恒星变成黑洞的过程。
bellies:n.腹部; v.张满; (belly的第三人称单数和复数) processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); occurring:n.事件;事故;事变; Vicious:adj.恶毒的;恶意的;堕落的;有错误的;品性不端的;剧烈的; Ward:n.病房; v.防止; Cleaver:n.切肉刀;[五金]劈刀;
My arsenal . 这些是我的研究设备。
arsenal:n.兵工厂;军械库;
These are my two big telescopes. 这是我的两个大望远镜。
The Apache Point Observatory hosts the Sloan telescope in New Mexico, and the Las Campanas Observatory in Chile hosts the two-and-a-half-meter telescope, the du Pont . 新墨西哥州的阿帕奇点天文台 拥有斯隆望远镜, 智利的拉斯坎帕纳斯天文台 拥有2.5米宽的杜邦望远镜。
Observatory:n.天文台;气象台;瞭望台; hosts:n.主人; v.主办,主持(活动); (host的第三人称单数和复数) Pont:n.(南非的)缆拉渡船;
Two and a half meters is the size of our mirror, which was huge for Tycho and Kepler. 2.5米是我们镜子的大小, 这对第谷和开普勒来说是很大的,
But it's actually not so big today. 但是以今天的标准来看 它实际上没有那么大,
There are way bigger telescopes out there. 还有更大的望远镜。
But in SDSS we use new instruments on these old telescopes to make them interesting. 但在SDSS中,我们在 这些旧望远镜上连接了新仪器, 使它们变得更有趣。
We capture light from all of those objects into our aperture , and that light is then focused at the focal plane, where our instruments sit and process that light. 我们把所有这些观测对象的 光都捕捉到光圈里, 让这些光聚焦在焦平面上, 我们的仪器就在那里处理这些光。
capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获 aperture:n.孔,穴;(照相机,望远镜等的)光圈,孔径;缝隙; focal:adj.焦点的,在焦点上的;灶的,病灶的;
What's new in SDSS-V is that we're making the focal plane entirely robotic . SDSS-V 的创新之处 在于我们将焦平面完全变成了机器人。
robotic:adj.机器人的,像机器人的;自动的;n.机器人学;
That's right: robots. 没错:机器人。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I'm going to show them to you, but they're fierce and terrifying , and I want you all to just take a breath. 我要给你们看看, 但是它们很凶猛,很可怕, 我想让你们深呼吸做好准备。
fierce:adj.凶猛的;猛烈的;暴躁的; terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词)
(Exhales) Trigger warning. (呼气)前方高能。
Trigger:n.触发器; v.触发;
And with no apologies to all the Blade Runners among you, here they are. 胆子大的人也要小心, 它们来了。
Blade:n.叶片;刀片,刀锋;剑;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I have 1,000 of these, 500 in the focal plane of each telescope in each hemisphere. 我有1000个这样的仪器, 有500个分布于每个半球的 每个望远镜的焦平面上。
And this is how they move on the sky. 这就是它们在天空中运动的方式。
So these are our objects and a star field, so you've got stars, galaxies, black holes. 这些是我们的观测对象和一个恒星场, 这样就看到了恒星,星系,黑洞。
And our robots move to those objects as we pass over them in order to capture the light from those stars and galaxies and black holes, and yes, it is weird to capture black hole light, but we've already gone over that black holes are weird. 机器人移动到我们经过的 那些观测对象, 为了从这些恒星,星系和 黑洞——是的,黑洞——捕捉光线。 捕捉黑洞的光线很奇怪, 但我刚刚就说过 黑洞就是个奇怪的现象。
black hole:n.黑洞(宇宙中包括光线在内的任何东西都无法逃逸的强引力区域);
One more thing. 还有一件事。
Stars are exploding all the time, like this one did back in 1987 in our cosmic backyard . 恒星一直在爆炸, 就像这颗1987年 在我们“宇宙后院”中爆炸的恒星。
exploding:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);(explode的现在分词) cosmic:adj.宇宙的; backyard:n.后院;后庭;
Black holes are growing all the time. 黑洞的规模一直在变大。
There is a new sky every night. 天空在每天晚上都会焕然一新。
Which means we can't just map the sky one time. 这意味着我们不能只测绘一次,
We have to map the sky multiple times. 必须再反复几次。
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
So in SDSS-V, we're going back to each part of the sky multiple times in order to see how these objects change over time. 所以在SDSS-V中, 我们要多次回到天空的每个部分, 为了看看这些观测对象 是如何随着时间变化的。
Because those changes in time encode the physics, and they encode how these objects are growing and changing. 因为这些时间上的变化蕴含了物理原理, 蕴含了这些观测对象 形成和变化的秘密。
encode:vt.(将文字材料)译成密码;编码,编制成计算机语言;
Mow the sky. 这一步就是“修整天空”。
Mow:v.修剪;割;刈;n.麦秆堆;谷堆;鬼脸
OK, let me just recap . 现在我们来总结一下。
recap:n.翻新的轮胎;vt.翻新胎面;扼要重述;
Global survey, two hemispheres, five telescopes, 10 spectrographs, millions of objects, mow the sky, creative army, robots, yeah. 全球巡视,两个半球, 5个望远镜,10个摄谱仪, 数以百万计的观测对象,“修整天空”, 创造性的军队,机器人,就是这些。
Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
So you're thinking, "Wow. 你可能觉得不可思议。
She must have this industrial machine going, no room for the individual, curious, lone wolf genius ," right? 她的团队一定是包揽了太空测绘工作, 没有空间留给个人, 留给好奇的天才,对吧?
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
And you'd be 100 percent wrong. 那你就大错特错了。
Meet Hanny's Voorwerp. 来认识一下哈尼天体。
Hanny van Arkel was a Dutch schoolteacher who was analyzing the public versions of the SDSS data, when she found this incredibly rare type of object, which is now a subject of major study. 哈尼·冯·阿科尔 曾经是一名荷兰教师, 她在分析SDSS数据的公共版本时, 发现了这种极其罕见的星体形态, 现在成为了我们的主要研究对象。
van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运; Dutch:adj.荷兰的; n.荷兰人; v.费用平摊地; schoolteacher:n.教师; analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词); incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
She was able to do this because SDSS, since its beginning and by mandate from the Sloan Foundation , has made its data both publicly available and usable to a broad range of audiences. 她之所以能做到这一点, 是因为SDSS自成立以来, 根据斯隆基金会的授权, 已将其数据向大众公开, 广大群众都可以使用。
mandate:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管; Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
She's a citizen -- yeah, clap for that. 她只是个普通公民,很了不起,
clap:n.鼓掌;拍手;掌声;拍手声;v.拍手(表示赞许或欣赏);击掌;
Clap for that. 为她鼓掌吧。
(Applause) (掌声)
Hanny is a citizen scientist, or as I like to call them, "citizen warriors ." 哈尼是一个草根科学家, 我喜欢叫他们这样的人 “公民战士”。
warriors:n.(尤指旧时的)武士,勇士,斗士(warrior的复数)
And she shows that you don't have to be a fancy astrophysicist to participate . 她的例子说明你不需要成为 一个杰出天体物理学家也能参与其中。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; astrophysicist:n.天体物理学家; participate:v.参加;参与;
You just have to be curious. 只需要保持好奇心。
A few years ago, my four-year-old asked, "Can moons have moons?" 几年前, 我四岁的孩子问:“月亮也有月亮吗?”
And I set about to answer this question because even though many four-year-olds over all of time have probably asked this question, many experts, including myself, didn't know the answer. 我开始准备认真回答这个问题, 因为尽管许多四岁左右的孩子 一直都在问这个问题, 但许多专家,包括我自己,都不知道答案。
These are the moons in our solar system that can host hypothetical submoons. 这些是我们太阳系中 可以容纳假想子卫星的卫星。
solar system:[天]太阳系; hypothetical:adj.假设的;爱猜想的;
And that just goes to show you that there are so many basic questions left to be understood. 这只是告诉你们,还有很多基本问题 需要去探索答案。
And this brings me to the most important point about SDSS. 这就引出了关于SDSS最重要的一点。
Because, yeah, the stars, the galaxies, the black holes, the robots -- that's all super cool. 没错,恒星,星系,黑洞,机器人—— 这些都非常酷。
But the coolest thing of all is that eensy-weensy creatures on a rubble pile around a totally average star in a totally average galaxy can win the battle to understand their world. 但最酷的是, 在一个非常普通的星系中, 围绕着一颗非常普通的恒星, 一群不起眼的生物(人类)在瓦砾堆上 能够赢得探索它们世界的战斗。
creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数) rubble:n.碎石,碎砖;粗石堆;
Every dot in this video is a galaxy. 这个视频中的每个点都是一个星系。
Every dot. 每一个点。
(Cheers) (Applause) (欢呼) (掌声)
I'm showing here the number of galaxies that astronomers have mapped in large surveys since about 1980. 我在这里展示的是自1980年以来, 天文学家在大型巡天过程中 测绘出的星系数量。
surveys:n.调查(survey的复数);
You can see SDSS kick in around Y2K. 你可以看到SDSS在2000年左右启动。
If we stay on this line, we will map every large galaxy in the observable universe by 2060. 如果我们继续沿着这条线走, 到2060年我们将绘制出 可观测宇宙中每一个大星系的样貌。
Think about that. 想想看。
Think about it: we've gone from arranging clamshells to general relativity to SDSS in a few thousand years -- and if we hang on 40 more, we can map all the galaxies. 想想看吧:在几千年的时间里, 我们已经完成了从整理蛤壳 到广义相对论, 再到整理SDSS的跨越—— 如果我们再坚持40年, 将可以绘制出所有星系的样貌。
arranging:v.安排;筹备;整理;排列;(arrange的现在分词) relativity:n.相对论;相关性;相对性;
But we have to stay on the line . 但前提是我们必须坚持下去。
on the line:处于危险中;模棱两可;在电话线上;
Will that be our choice? 我们能做出这样的选择吗?
There are dark forces in this world that will rob our entire species of our right to understand our universe. 这个世界上有一些黑暗势力, 它们将剥夺我们整个物种 理解宇宙的权利。
Don't be afraid of the dark. 不要惧怕黑暗。
Fight back. 反击。
Join us. 加入我们的行列。
Thank you. 谢谢大家!
(Applause) (掌声)