返回首页

JulioGil_2017S-_未来科技让城市生活的优势可以在非城市地区实现_

Today, more than half of the world's population lives in cities. 如今 城市人口已占 世界总人口的一半以上
The urbanization process started in the late 1700s and has been increasing since then. 早在18世纪 城市化进程就已开始 并在不断加速
urbanization:n.都市化;文雅化; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
The prediction is that by 2050, 66 percent of the population will live in cities and the United Nations , the World Health Organization , the World Economic Forum , are warning us, if we don't plan for the increased density , 据推测 截至2050年 将有66%的世界人口在城市安家 一些国际组织 包括联合国 世界卫生组织 以及世界经济论坛 都发出了警告 如若无视城市人口密度的增大 不加以合理的规划
prediction:n.预报;预言; United Nations:n.联合国; Organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; Economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; Forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场; density:n.密度;
current problems in our cities, like inequality, congestion , crime can only get worse. 当今城市中的种种问题 如不平等 过度拥堵 犯罪等 只会变得更糟
congestion:n.拥挤;拥塞;充血;
As a result , urban planners and city developers are putting a lot of effort and creativity in designing our future, denser , bigger cities. 因此 城市规划开发者们 正绞尽脑汁地设计出 一个未来人口密度更大 城市规模更大的建筑蓝图
As a result:结果; planners:n.规划师;规划人员(planner的复数);计划人员; developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数); denser:adj.密集的; (dense的比较级)
But I have a different opinion. 但我有个不同的见解
I think urbanization is actually reaching the end of its cycle, and now people are going to start moving back to the countryside. 我认为现在 城市化 已经到了一个周期的末尾 接下来人们将开始重返乡村
And you may think, "But what about the trend ?" 你可能会问 那城市化趋势 会怎么发展下去
trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向;
Well, let me tell you, socioeconomic trends don't last forever. 我是这么认为的 社会经济趋势是 不会永久发展下去的
socioeconomic:adj.社会经济学的; trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数)
You know, 12,000 years ago everybody was perfectly happy roaming the land, hunting and gathering. 12000年前 所有人都觉得 游牧 打猎以及群居 这样的生活方式挺好的
roaming:n.漫游;移动;v.漫步;闲逛;徘徊(roam的现在分词);
And then, the trend changes, and the new thing is to live in a farm and have cattle, until it changes again. 之后社会经济趋势发生了转变 人们开始住在农场里养牛 直到风向再一次转变
When we get to the industrial revolution . 人类进入了工业革命时代
industrial revolution:n.工业革命;
Actually, that is what started the urbanization process. 事实上这也是城市化进程的开端
And you know what triggered it? 是什么刺激了城市化呢
triggered:v.发动;引起;触发;开动;起动;(trigger的过去分词和过去式)
Steam power, machines, new chemical processes -- in two words, technological innovation . 蒸汽动力 机器 新的化学处理过程 用四个字来概括 即技术革新
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); technological:adj.技术[工程](上)的;因工艺技术高度发展而引起的; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
And I believe technology can also bring the end of this cycle. 我认为技术同样能 带我们进入下一阶段
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
I've been working on innovation for most of my career . 我的职业生涯中 大部分时间都和创新打交道
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
I love it. I love my job. 我喜欢这行 很爱我的工作
It allows me to work with domes , with 3D printers and smart glasses, and not just those you can buy in the shop but also prototypes . 借助工作我可以接触到 无人机 3D打印机 还有智能眼镜 除了这些在商店销售的 还有原型机
domes:n.[建]穹顶;拱形结构;西班牙域名; prototypes:n.原型;技术原型;雏型;
It's a lot of fun sometimes. 有时候真的非常有趣
Now, some of these technologies are opening new possibilities that will radically change the way we did things before and in a few years, they may allow us to enjoy the benefits of city life from anywhere. 其中一些高科技产品 带来了更多新的可能 来改变我们以往做事的方式 在未来几年中 这些科技或许能让我们在任何地方 都享受到城市生活的便利
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); radically:adv.根本上;彻底地;以激进的方式;
Think about it. 想想看
If you could live in a place with a lower crime rate and more space and a lower cost of living and less traffic, of course many people would want that, but they feel they don't have a choice. 如果有一个犯罪率更低 空间更大 生活成本更低 交通也不拥堵的地方 当然会让很多人趋之若鹜 但很多人认为他们没有这样的选择
cost of living:adj.生活费的;
You have to live in the city. 因此不得不住在城市里
Well, in the past, people moved to the cities not because they loved the city itself but for the things you could have in a city, more job opportunities, easier access to services and goods and a rich social life. 在过去 人们移居城市 不是因为热爱这个城市本身 而是因为城市所能提供的东西 更多的工作机会 更丰富的商品以及服务 更多彩的社交生活
So let's dive deeper. 那让我们进一步来看看
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
More jobs and career opportunities. 更多的工作和就业机会
Is that still true today, because the office people are starting to realize that working in the office and being in the office may not be the same thing anymore. 在当今还重要吗 因为办公室一族开始意识到 在办公室工作和呆在办公室 已经不再是同一个概念了
According to a study by Global Workplace Analytics , more than 80 percent of the US workforce would like to work from home. 全球工作数据分析的一项研究发现 在美国有80%的在业者想在家工作
According to:根据,据说; Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; Workplace:n.工作场所;车间; Analytics:n.[化学][数]分析学;解析学; workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工;
And do you know how much it costs for a company to even have an office? 你知道一个公司租用办公地有多贵吗?
11,000 dollars per employee per year. 平均每年每个员工11000美元
If only half of those workers would telework even 50 percent of the time, the savings in the states would exceed 500 billion dollars, and it could reduce greenhouse gases by 54 million tons. 如果那些员工中的一半 能在一半的时间在家工作 美国的这些公司就能 省下超过5千亿美元 也能少制造5400万吨的温室气体
savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数) exceed:v.超过(数量);超越(法律、命令等)的限制; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房;
That is the equivalent of 10 million cars off the streets for a whole year. 这相当于减少了 一千万台车一整年的排气量
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
But even though most people would want to telework, current technology makes the experience isolating . 但是即使大多数人想远程工作 目前的科技只会让这种方式 显得很有隔绝感
isolating:adj.孤立的;绝缘的;v.使隔离;使绝缘(isolate的ing形式);
It's not comfortable. 让人感觉不太舒服
It doesn't feel like being there. 不觉得是公司的一员
But that is going to change by the convergence of two technologies: augmented reality and telepresence robots. 但是这些都即将改变 因为我们可以实现两种科技的融合 增强现实和远程呈现机器人
convergence:n.[数]收敛;会聚,集合; augmented:adj.增广的;增音的;扩张的; telepresence:n.思科网真(一种通过结合高清晰度视频,音频和交互式组件,在网络上创建一种独特的"面对面"体验的新型技术);
Augmented reality already today allows you to take your office environment everywhere with you. 增强现实感技术在当今 可以允许我们将办公室环境带在身边
All you need is a wearable computer and a pair of small glasses, and you can take your emails and your spreadsheets with you wherever you go. 只需一台便携电脑和一副智能眼睛 你就可以带着你的电邮和表格 随便去哪都没问题
wearable:adj.可穿用的,可佩带的;耐用的;n.衣服; spreadsheets:n.电子表格;电子数据表;试算表;空白表格程序;
And video conferences and video calls have become very common these days, but they still need improvement . 视频会议和视频电话已经很常见 但还有改进的空间
conferences:n.会议(conference的复数形式); improvement:n.改进,改善;
I mean, all those little faces on a flat screen, sometimes you don't even know who is talking. 看着平面显示器上的 一张张缩小的头像 有时候都分不清是谁在讲话
Now, we already have something way better than static videocalls: your average telepresence robot. 而现在 我们已经有比静态 视频电话更好的沟通方式了 就是远程呈现机器人
static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰);
I call it tablet on a stick. 我喜欢称它为一根棍上的平板
tablet:n.碑;药片;写字板;小块;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You can control, you can move around , you can control what you're looking at. 你可以进行操控 动来动去 可以对要看的东西进行控制
move around:v.走来走去;绕着…来回转;
It's way better, but far from perfect. 这种科技理想多了 但远不够完美
You know how they say that most human communication is nonverbal ? 人们不是都说 大多数的人际交流是非语言交流吗
human communication:人际交往; nonverbal:adj.不用语言的;不用动词的;
Well, the robot doesn't give you any of that. 和这机器人交流正是如此
It looks like an alien. 它不正像个外星人嘛
But with advances in augmented reality, it will be easy to wrap the robot in a nice hologram that actually looks and moves like a person. 但是因为有了先进的增强现实科技 我们可以轻易给机器人 穿上全息摄投影人像 这样才能看着像人 动起来也像人
wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾; hologram:n.[激光]全息图;全息摄影,全息照相;
That will do it. 不错吧
Or else, forget the robot. 或者 压根儿不需要机器人
We go full VR, and everybody meets in cyberspace . 我们可以用虚拟现实 大家都能直接在网络空间见面
cyberspace:n.网络空间;赛博空间;
Give it a couple of years and that will feel so real, you won't tell the difference. 这个技术只需要再发展几年 就能非常成熟 根本看不出来是虚拟的
So what was the next reason why people move to cities? 那么人们搬到城市 还有其他什么原因吗
Access to services and goods. 是为了更多的服务和商品
But today you can do a lot online. 但是当今这些都可以在网上实现
According to a study made by comScore, online shoppers in the US last year did more than half of their retail purchases online, and the global market for e-commerce is estimated to be at two trillion dollars. 根据comScore的数据统计 在去年 美国人民超过一半的物品 都是在网上购买的 据统计 全球电商市场 价值2万亿美元
shoppers:n.购物者;(商店的)顾客;(shopper的复数) retail:vt.零售;转述;vi.零售;n.零售;adv.以零售方式;adj.零售的; purchases:v.[贸易]购买; n.所购物; e-commerce:n.电子商务; estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿;
And it's expected to reach 2.38 by the end of 2017, according to eMarketer. 而根据eMarketer提供的数据 预计在2017年底 这个数字 会多达2.38万亿
Now, from a logistics standpoint , density is good for deliveries . 从物流角度来说 搞人口密度对运送货物有好处
logistics:n.[军]后勤;后勤学;物流; standpoint:n.立场;观点; deliveries:n.[贸易]交货(delivery的复数);已交付;
Supplying goods to a shopping mall is easy. 给一个购物中心送货很简单
shopping mall:un.商业区林荫路;
You can send big shipments to the shop, and people will go there, pick it up and take it home themselves. 你可以向商店送一大批货物 然后人们就会去商店 买上需要的东西带回家
shipments:n.发货;运载的货物(shipment的复数);
E-commerce means we need to ship onesies and have them home delivered. 而网上购物意味着 我们需要把货物一件一件 送到各家各户
onesies:n.连裤衣;宝宝衫;
That's more expensive. 这样费用更贵
It's like the difference between having a birthday party for 20 people or bringing a piece of the cake to each of your 20 friends at their place. 就像是开一个20个人的聚会 还是将一块块的蛋糕 给20个朋友分别送到家
But at least in the city, they live close to each other. 起码在城市里 各家各户离得不远
Density helps. 住的紧凑是好事
Now, e-commerce deliveries in the countryside, those take forever. 但电商也需要送货到郊区 花的时间就要多得多了
The truck sometimes needs to drive miles between one address and the next one. 送货卡车可能要在一个地址 和另一个地址间开上个几公里
Those are the most expensive deliveries of all. 这种送货是最贵的
But we already have a solution for that: drones . 但是我们已经有解决方法了 使用无人机
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; drones:v.嗡嗡叫;嗡嗡响;(drone的第三人称单数)
A vehicle carrying a squadron of drones. 可以用一台车载上一队的无人机
vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物; squadron:n.空军中队;一群;骑兵中队;分遣队;小舰队;vt.把…编成中队;
The driver does some of the deliveries while the drones are flying back and forth from the truck as it moves. 在无人机飞来飞去的时候 司机可以运送其它货物
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
That way, the average cost for delivery is reduced, and voila : affordable e-commerce services in the countryside. 这样运送的成本就会降低 看吧 乡郊区也能有价格合理的电商服务
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; voila:int.(法)瞧;可不是; affordable:adj.负担得起的;
You will see: the new homes of our teleworkers will probably have a drone pod in the yard. 你会看到 很多远程工作的员工在新家的 院子里都会装有无人机架
So once the final mile delivery is not a problem, you don't need to be in the city to buy things anymore. 一旦我们让最后的运送变成可能 你就不用去市里买东西了
So that's two. 这是第二点
Now, what was the third reason why people move to cities? 人们搬家到城市的 第三个原因是什么来着
A rich social life. 丰富的社交生活
They would need to be in the city for that these days. 这年头谁还需要去 市里获取社交生活啊
Because people these days, they make friends, they chat, gossip and flirt from the comfort of their sofa. 因为这年头 人们不管是交朋友 聊天 八卦还是调情 都在自家沙发上完成
gossip:n.流言蜚语;闲聊;喜欢传播流言蜚语的人;v.传播流言蜚语;说三道四; flirt:vi.调情:n.与多人调情的人:
(Laughter) (笑声)
And while wearing their favorite pajamas . 穿着最爱的睡衣
pajamas:n.睡衣;宽长裤;
(Laughter) (笑声)
There are over two billion active social media users in the world. 世界上大概有超过2百万的 活跃的社交网络用户
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
In a way, that makes you think like we are connected no matter where we are. 某种程度来讲 这让你觉得 我们都是联系在一起的 不管身处何处
But OK, not completely. 好吧 也不完全是这样
Sometimes you still need some real human contact . 有时候你还是需要真正的人际交流
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
Ironically , the city, with its population density, is not always the best for that. 讽刺的是 城市人口虽然多 却并不是一个人际交往的最佳地点
Ironically:adv.讽刺地;说反话地;
Actually, as social groups become smaller, they grow stronger. 实际上 社交群体越小 联系却越紧密
A recent study made in the UK by the Office for National Statistics showed a higher life satisfaction rating among people living in rural areas. 英国国家统计局发起的 最近的一项研究表明 生活在乡村地区的人口 有更高的生活满意度
Statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数) satisfaction:n.满意,满足;赔偿;乐事;赎罪; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
So as people settle in the countryside, well, they will buy local groceries , fresh groceries , foodstuff , maintenance services. 人们在乡村安家后 会去本地杂货店购物 买新鲜的食品 也会雇佣本地劳动力
settle:v.定居;结算;停留;确定;n.高背长椅(老式木家具,有扶手,座下多带柜); groceries:n.杂货;食品杂货;食品杂货店;(grocery的复数) foodstuff:n.食品,食物;粮食,食料; maintenance:n.维护,维修;保持;生活费用;
So handymen , small workshops , service companies will thrive . 这样一来 本地的技工 小的作坊 和服务公司都会发展良好
handymen:n.手巧的人;[劳经]杂务工;水手; workshops:n.工作坊,[工业]车间;研习会,讲习班(workshop的复数形式); thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
Maybe some of the industrial workers from the cities displaced by the automation will find a nice alternative job here, and they will move too. 也许一些城市工业界的工人 被自动化生产线所取代之后 还能在乡村找到不错的工作 然后就会决定搬家
displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词) automation:n.自动化;自动操作; alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
And as people move to the countryside, how is that going to be? 随着更多人搬到乡村居住 会发生什么样的变化呢
Think about autonomous , off-the-grid houses with solar panels , with wind turbines and waste recycling utilities , our new homes producing their own energy and using it to also power the family car. 想象这里生活的自主性 不需要城市供电 只依赖太阳能 风能 有更好的 废物循环系统的房子 我们的新家能自给自足 还能给私家车提供电能
autonomous:adj.自治的;自主的;自发的; panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式); turbines:n.[动力]涡轮;[动力]涡轮机(turbine的复数);[动力]汽轮机; recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词); utilities:n.公用事业;实用工具,[计]实用程序;公用程式;(utility的复数)
I mean, cities have always been regarded as being more energy-efficient , but let me tell you, repopulating the countryside can be eco too. 一直以来人们都觉得 在城市生活可以更节能 但是我可以告诉大家 重返乡村也能过上节能生活
energy-efficient:adj.节能的,节约能源的;高能效的; repopulating:vt.使人重新住入;
By now, you're probably thinking of all the advantages of country living. 现在你们肯定已经在想象 乡村生活的美好了
advantages:n.有利条件; v.有利于;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I did it myself. 我自己就搬了家
Six years ago, my wife and I, we packed our stuff, we sold our little apartment in Spain, and for the same money we bought a house with a garden and little birds that come singing in the morning. 6年前 我和妻子打包了行李 卖掉了我们在西班牙的家 用那笔钱买了一个带花园的房子 还附带清晨来唱歌的小鸟
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's so nice there. 真的太惬意了
And we live in a small village, not really the countryside yet. 我们住在一个小镇子里 也不完全算是乡村
That is going to be my next move: a refurbished farmhouse , not too far from a city, not too close. 我的下一步是 一个翻新的农家小院 离城市不是很远 也不要太近
refurbished:v.翻新,刷新(refurbish的过去分词); farmhouse:n.农家,[农工]农舍;
And now we'll make sure to have a good spot for drones to land. 这次我们肯定会 选好无人机的降落点
(Laughter) (笑声)
But hey, that's me. 但这只是我的做法
It doesn't have to be you, because it would seem like I'm trying to convince somebody to come join us in the country. 你不一定要这样 看起来好像是我在说服你们 跟我们一起搬到乡村
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
I'm not. 我可没有这个意思
(Laughter) (笑声)
I don't need more people to come. 我可不想吸引那么多人过来
(Laughter) (笑声)
I just think they will once they realize they can have the same benefits the city has. 我只是觉得人们会搬的 只是需要意识到乡村也可以提供 城市能提供的好处
But if you don't like the country, 但是如果你不喜欢乡村
I have good news for you, too. 我也有新想法可以分享给你
Cities will not disappear . 城市并不会消失
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
But as people move out, a lower density will help them recover a better flow and balance. 但是很多人会搬走 人口密度的减少会使剩余人口的生活 流动性更好 更加平衡
Anyway, I guess now you have some thinking to do. 总之 你们现在肯定开始有疑问了
Do you still think you need to live in the city? 你必须要住在城市吗
And more importantly, do you want to? 更重要的是 你真的想吗
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家
(Applause) 掌声