|
|
JulianTreasure_2011G-_5_种倾听的方法_
|
We are losing our listening. |
我们正在丧失倾听的能力 |
We spend roughly 60 percent of our communication time listening, |
我们交流过程中60%的时间都是用来倾听 |
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
|
But we're not very good at it. |
但其实我们并不擅长倾听 |
We retain just 25 percent of what we hear. |
我们只保留了25%所听到的内容 |
retain:v.保留;保持;持有;继续拥有;
|
Now not you, not this talk, but that is generally true. |
不是指在座各位和这个演讲 这是一个普遍的事实 |
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
|
Let's define listening as making meaning from sound. |
让我们来定义倾听 就是使得声音有意义 |
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
|
It's a mental process , and it's a process of extraction . |
这是一个心理过程 它也是一个提取的过程 |
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; extraction:n.取出;抽出;拔出;抽出物;出身;
|
We use some pretty cool techniques to do this. |
我们用一些很酷的技术完成这个过程 |
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
One of them is pattern recognition . |
其中之一是模式识别技术 |
recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
|
(Crowd Noise) So in a cocktail party like this, if I say, "David, Sara, pay attention," |
(人群噪音)在像这样的一个鸡尾酒会上 如果我说 “大卫,莎拉,注意了” |
cocktail party:n.鸡尾酒会;
|
some of you just sat up. |
你们中间就会有人坐直身子 |
We recognize patterns to distinguish noise from signal, and especially our name. |
我们能识别出一些声音特点 从而从信号中区分它们 特别是对于自己的名字 |
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; distinguish:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
Differencing is another technique we use. |
区分是我们用的另外一个技术 |
If I left this pink noise on for more than a couple of minutes, you would literally cease to hear it. |
如果我让这种粉红噪声保持几分钟 你就不会很认真的听它了 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: cease:v.(正式)停止;结束;中断;平息;n.(正式)不停地;不间断地;连续地;
|
We listen to differences, we discount sounds that remain the same. |
我们只会听有变化声音 我们不大专注于持续不变的声音 |
discount:n.折扣;vt.低估;打折扣;打折出售
|
And then there is a whole range of filters . |
这里有一系列的过滤功能 |
filters:n.过滤器; v.过滤; (filter的第三人称单数和复数)
|
These filters take us from all sound down to what we pay attention to . |
它把我们从所有声音中抽离出来 重点去听我们所关注的 |
pay attention to:注意
|
Most people are entirely unconscious of these filters. |
大多数人都完全没有察觉这些 过滤器 |
unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的;
|
But they actually create our reality in a way, because they tell us what we're paying attention to right now. |
但是它们在某种程度上创造了现实生活 因为它们告诉我们当下我们正在关注什么 |
Give you one example of that: |
举个例子: |
Intention is very important in sound, in listening. |
意向在声音和听觉中非常重要 |
Intention:n.意图;目的;意向;愈合;
|
When I married my wife, |
我娶我夫人的时候 |
I promised her that I would listen to her every day as if for the first time. |
我向她承诺我每天都会像我们第一次见面那样 去倾听她 |
Now that's something I fall short of on a daily basis. |
现在我每天都在下降 |
fall short of:达不到;缺乏;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But it's a great intention to have in a relationship. |
但这是这种关系下的一个很好的意愿 |
But that's not all. |
但这不是全部 |
Sound places us in space and in time. |
声音把我们置于时间和空间中 |
If you close your eyes right now in this room, you're aware of the size of the room from the reverberation and the bouncing of the sound off the surfaces. |
如果你现在马上闭上眼 你会通过声音回响以及声音 在物体表面撞击的力度 感觉出这件房间的大小 |
reverberation:n.[声]混响;反射;反响;回响;
|
And you're aware of how many people are around you because of the micro-noises you're receiving. |
你还可以感觉到在你周围有多少人 因为你可以听到周围微小的噪音 |
And sound places us in time as well, because sound always has time embedded in it. |
同时,声音还把我们置于时间中 因为声音总是和时间 并存的 |
embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
In fact, I would suggest that our listening is the main way that we experience the flow of time from past to future. |
实际上我认为听觉是我们最主要的方式 去感受时间从过去到未来 的流动 |
So, " Sonority is time and meaning" -- a great quote . |
因此 “声音是时间和存在”--很好的引述 |
Sonority:n.响亮;响亮程度,宏亮度; quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用;
|
I said at the beginning , we're losing our listening. |
我在演讲开始的时候说过,我们正逐渐丧失倾听的能力 |
at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
|
Why did I say that? |
我为什么这么说呢? |
Well there are a lot of reasons for this. |
这里面有许多的原因 |
First of all , we invented ways of recording -- first writing, then audio recording and now video recording as well. |
首先,我们发明了记录的方式-- 一开始通过书写,接着是录音 然后到了现在可以记录影像 |
First of all:adv.首先; audio:adj.声音的;录音的;
|
The premium on accurate and careful listening has simply disappeared . |
精确、仔细的倾听所带来的好处 已经消失了 |
premium:n.额外费用;奖金;保险费;(商)溢价;adj.高价的;优质的; accurate:adj.精确的; disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
|
Secondly, the world is now so noisy, |
第二,现在的世界太嘈杂了 |
(Noise) with this cacophony going on visually and auditorily, it's just hard to listen; it's tiring to listen. |
(噪音)伴随着视觉、听觉上的 这样的污染 已经很难去倾听了 也疲于去倾听了 |
cacophony:n.刺耳的音调;不和谐音; visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地;
|
Many people take refuge in headphones , but they turn big, public spaces like this, shared soundscapes , into millions of tiny, little personal sound bubbles . |
许多人用耳机逃避吵杂的世界 但是他们把像这样的庞大的,公共空间 本可被共享的音乐场景 变成了数百万个这样的私人音乐小气泡 |
take refuge:避难;躲避; headphones:n.[电讯]耳机;听筒;[电子]头戴式受话器;(headphone的复数) soundscapes:音画;声景;音声环境; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
|
In this scenario , nobody's listening to anybody. |
这种情况下,没有人会倾听其他人 |
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
|
We're becoming impatient . |
我们正在变得浮躁 |
impatient:adj.焦躁的;不耐心的;
|
We don't want oratory anymore, we want soundbites. |
我们更青睐简单的语言而不再需要 那些华丽的词藻 |
oratory:n.雄辩;演讲术;
|
And the art of conversation is being replaced -- dangerously , I think -- by personal broadcasting. |
交谈的艺术 正在被私人化的平实语言所取代 我认为这是很危险的 |
dangerously:adv.危险地;不安全;
|
I don't know how much listening there is in this conversation, which is sadly very common, especially in the U.K. |
我不清楚这种交谈中倾听能够占几成 通常都很不乐观 特别是在英国 |
We're becoming desensitized . |
我们正在变得麻木 |
desensitized:vt.使不敏感;使麻木不仁;
|
Our media have to scream at us with these kinds of headlines in order to get our attention. |
媒体不得不用这样的标题向我们“嘶吼” 就是为了夺人眼球 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
And that means it's harder for us to pay attention to the quiet, the subtle , the understated . |
这就意味着我们难以专注于 安静的,细微的 需要理解的东西 |
subtle:adj.微妙的;精细的;敏感的;狡猾的;稀薄的; understated:adj.低调的;朴素的;轻描淡写的;不夸张的;
|
This is a serious problem that we're losing our listening. |
丧失倾听的能力是个很严重的问题 |
This is not trivial . |
这不是没有意义的 |
trivial:adj.不重要的,琐碎的;琐细的;
|
Because listening is our access to understanding. |
因为倾听是我们去认识事物的途径 |
Conscious listening always creates understanding. |
有意识的去倾听往往有助于我们的理解力 |
And only without conscious listening can these things happen -- a world where we don't listen to each other at all, is a very scary place indeed. |
如果失去有意识的倾听 就会导致以下的后果-- 一个人们不会相互倾听的世界 是非常可怕的 |
So I'd like to share with you five simple exercises, tools you can take away with you, to improve your own conscious listening. |
因此 我希望与大家分享 五个简单的技巧来帮助大家 改进自己有意识的倾听 |
improve:v.改进;改善;
|
Would you like that? |
你们想听吗? |
(Audience: Yes.) Good. |
(听众:当然) 好! |
The first one is silence. |
首先是安静 |
Just three minutes a day of silence is a wonderful exercise to reset your ears and to recalibrate so that you can hear the quiet again. |
每天只需拿出三分钟让自己安静下来 就是一个很好的练习 来让听觉系统进行重置和调整 从而可以再一次感受到宁静 |
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版; recalibrate:vt.重新校准,再校准;重校准;
|
If you can't get absolute silence, go for quiet, that's absolutely fine. |
如果没有完全无声的环境 那就去一个安静的地方也没问题 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
Second, I call this the mixer . |
第二点,我称之为混合器 |
mixer:n.混合器;搅拌器;[电子]混频器;
|
(Noise) So even if you're in a noise environment like this -- and we all spend a lot of time in places like this -- listen in the coffee bar to how many channels of sound can I hear? |
(噪音)即使你在一个像这样嘈杂的环境中-- 我们很多时间都生活在这样的环境中-- 在咖啡厅里听 你可以听到多少种声音? |
coffee bar:n.小咖啡厅(有时设在商店、火车站等内,供应咖啡、茶、其他无酒精饮料及便餐);
|
How many individual channels in that mix am I listening to? |
你可以在混杂噪音中分辨出多少独立的声音? |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
|
You can do it in a beautiful place as well, like in a lake. |
这种方法也可以在幽静的地方练习,比如在湖边 |
How many birds am I hearing? |
我可以听到多少种鸟叫声? |
Where are they? Where are those ripples ? |
它们从哪里发出?传向哪里? |
ripples:n.涟漪;波纹(ripple的复数);v.呈波状(ripple的单三形式);
|
It's a great exercise for improving the quality of your listening. |
这也是很好的练习 来改善我们的听觉能力 |
improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
|
Third, this exercise I call savoring , and this is a beautiful exercise. |
第三点,我称之为品味声音 这是个很好的练习 |
savoring:n.尽情享受;仔细品味;v.尝到(savor的ing形式);
|
It's about enjoying mundane sounds. |
是关于享受平淡声音的 |
mundane:adj.世俗的,平凡的;世界的,宇宙的;
|
This, for example, is my tumble dryer . |
比如说,这是我的滚筒式干衣机 |
tumble dryer:n.滚筒式(衣服)烘干机;
|
(Dryer) It's a waltz . |
(干衣机)像华尔兹一样 |
waltz:v.跳华尔兹舞; adj.圆舞曲的; n.华尔兹舞;
|
One, two, three. One, two, three. One two three. |
1-2-3,1-2-3,1-2-3 |
I love it. |
我喜欢它 |
Or just try this one on for size. |
或者试试这个 |
(Coffee grinder) |
(咖啡研磨机) |
Wow! |
哇喔! |
So mundane sounds can be really interesting if you pay attention. |
如果你用心,如此平凡的声音也可以这样有趣 |
I call that the hidden choir . |
我称其为隐形合唱团 |
choir:n.唱诗班;合唱团,歌唱队;
|
It's around us all the time. |
他们一直都在我们周围 |
The next exercise is probably the most important of all of these, if you just take one thing away. |
下一个练习 也许是五项之中最重要的 如果只选一个的话 |
This is listening positions -- the idea that you can move your listening position to what's appropriate to what you're listening to. |
那就是倾听的状态-- 你可以改变你倾听的状态 根据你所听的内容而定 |
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
|
This is playing with those filters. |
这些要用到哪些过滤器 |
Do you remember, I gave you those filters at the beginning. |
还记得吗,我开始的时候提到过的 |
It's starting to play with them as levers , to get conscious about them and to move to different places. |
像一个杠杆一样去运用它们 根据它们来移动到不同的地方 |
levers:n.杠杆;手段(lever的复数);v.用杠杆撬动(lever的第三人称单数);
|
These are just some of the listening positions, or scales of listening positions, that you can use. |
屏幕上只是一部分倾听的状态 或者是大家可以运用的倾听状态的一些尺度 |
scales:n.规模范围; v.攀登; (scale的第三人称单数和复数)
|
There are many. |
还有许多 |
Have fun with that. It's very exciting. |
它很有趣,很让人激动 |
And finally , an acronym . |
最后,是一个缩略词 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; acronym:n.首字母缩略词;
|
You can use this in listening, in communication. |
你可以在倾听、交流时用到它 |
If you're in any one of those roles -- and I think that probably is everybody who's listening to this talk -- the acronym is RASA, which is the Sanskrit word for juice or essence . |
只要你处于其中一种情况下-- 我想可能听这个演讲的在座各位都是吧-- 这个缩写就是RASA 它本身是个梵文 意思是汁液或者精华 |
Sanskrit:adj.梵文的;n.梵文; essence:n.本质;实质;精髓;香精;
|
And RASA stands for Receive, which means pay attention to the person; |
同时RASA这里代表着 接受 意思是关注于与你交谈的人 |
Appreciate , making little noises like hmm, oh, okay; |
赏识,做出些反映 比如,恩,哦,好不错; |
Appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
|
Summarize , the word "so" is very important in communication; and Ask, ask questions afterward . |
小结 “所以,因此”这个词在交流中是非常重要的 以及 询问 最后的时候问些问题 |
Summarize:v.总结;概述;概括;归纳; afterward:adv.以后,后来;
|
Now sound is my passion , it's my life. |
声音是我的爱好 我的生命 |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
|
I wrote a whole book about it. So I live to listen. |
我为此写了一本书,所以我为倾听而生 |
That's too much to ask from most people. |
当然这对大多数人来说要求太高了 |
But I believe that every human being needs to listen consciously in order to live fully -- connected in space and in time to the physical world around us, connected in understanding to each other, not to mention spiritually connected, because every spiritual path I know of has listening and contemplation at its heart. |
但是我相信每一个人 都需要有意识的倾听 才是完整的生活-- 把空间和时间 和我们周围的自然世界联系起来 把每个人用相互理解联系起来 更不用说是精神层面的联系 因为每一个我了解的精神幽径 都包括发自内心的倾听 和凝视 |
consciously:adv.自觉地;有意识地; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; not to mention:更不必说;不必提及; spiritually:adv.在精神上地; contemplation:n.沉思;注视;意图;
|
That's why we need to teach listening in our schools as a skill. |
这就是为什么 我们需要在学校把倾听当作一个技能 去传授 |
Why is it not taught? It's crazy. |
为什么实际情况却相反?太不可理解了 |
And if we can teach listening in our schools, we can take our listening off that slippery slope to that dangerous, scary world that I talked about and move it to a place where everybody is consciously listening all the time -- or at least capable of doing it. |
如果我们可以在学校里传授倾听技巧 可以阻止我们的听觉坠向我提到过的 那个危险、可怕的世界 并将其引导到一个每个人都乐于有意识的去倾听的地方-- 或者至少有能力去倾听 |
slippery slope:n.灾难性的急剧下滑; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
|
Now don't know how to do that, but this is TED, and I think the TED community is capable of anything. |
现在还不知道如何做到这点 但这就是TED 我认为TED团体有能力做任何事情 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
So I invite you to connect with me, connect with each other, take this mission out and let's get listening taught in schools, and transform the world in one generation to a conscious listening world -- a world of connection, a world of understanding and a world of peace. |
因此我邀请大家联系我,同时彼此互相联系 秉承这个使命,同时让倾听课程进入学校 通过一代人的努力把世界变成一个乐于倾听的世界-- 一个彼此联系的世界 一个相互理解的世界 一个和平的世界 |
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
|
Thank you for listening to me today. |
谢谢大家今天倾听我的演讲 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |