返回首页

JulianAssange_2010G-_世界为何需要“维基揭密”_

Chris Anderson: Julian, welcome. Chris Anderson:Julian,欢迎你
It's been reported that WikiLeaks , your baby, has ... in the last few years has released more classified documents than the rest of the world's media combined. 有报道说“维基揭密”——你的心血结晶 在过去的几年 所公布的机密文件数目 超过了世界所有媒体公布数的总和
WikiLeaks:维基解密; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) classified:adj.机密的; v.将…分类; (classify的过去分词和过去式) media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
Can that possibly be true? 这有可能吗?
Julian Assange: Yeah, can it possibly be true? Julian Assange:是的,这有可能吗?
It's a worry -- isn't it? -- that the rest of the world's media is doing such a bad job that a little group of activists is able to release more of that type of information than the rest of the world press combined. 这是个问题,不是吗?世界上的其他媒体 得有多糟糕啊 以至于一群社会活动家 就能公开 比世界上所有媒体 加起来还要多的机密文件
CA: How does it work? CA:这是如何运作的?
How do people release the documents? 你们是怎样公开这些文件的?
And how do you secure their privacy ? 你们如何确保他们的隐私?
privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处;
JA: So these are -- as far as we can tell -- classical whistleblowers . JA:最多能告诉你们 他们是传统的告密者
as far as:至于…; classical:adj.古典的;经典的;传统的;第一流的;n.古典音乐; whistleblowers:告发者;检举者;
And we have a number of ways for them to get information to us. 我们提供一些方式 让他们把信息告诉我们
So we use just state-of-the-art encryption to bounce stuff around the Internet, to hide trails , pass it through legal jurisdictions like Sweden and Belgium to enact those legal protections. 我们运用最先进的加密方式 来在网上传播信息,隐藏痕迹 在司法管辖区内传递 比如瑞典和比利时 以求获得法律保护
state-of-the-art:adj.最先进的;已经发展的;达到最高水准的; encryption:n.加密;加密术; bounce:v.反弹;反射;(使)弹起;n.弹跳;跳动;弹性; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: trails:n.山径;踪迹(trail的复数)vt.拖尾(trail的第三人称单数); legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; jurisdictions:n.司法管辖区;行政辖区(jurisdiction的复数); enact:vt.颁布;制定法律;扮演;发生;
We get information in the mail, the regular postal mail, encrypted or not, vet it like a regular news organization , format it -- which is sometimes something that's quite hard to do, when you're talking about giant databases of information -- release it to the public and then defend ourselves against the inevitable legal and political attacks. 我们通过信件获得信息 最普通的邮递信件 不论是否加密 我们和任何新闻机构一样对信息进行审查,排版 尽管有时这显得相当困难 考虑到所涉及的 透露给公众的 巨大的信息量 然后保护我们不受 不可避免的法律和政治攻击的影响
postal:adj.邮政的;邮局的;n.明信片; encrypted:v.把…加密(或编码);(encrypt的过去式和过去分词) vet:n.兽医;兽医诊所;v.审查;仔细检查,审查(内容、质量等); organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
CA: So you make an effort to ensure the documents are legitimate . CA:所以说你们尽量保证 这些文件是正确的
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; legitimate:adj.合法的;正当的;合理的;正统的;v.使合法;认为正当(等于legitimize);
But you actually almost never know who the identity of the source is. 但实际上 你们几乎不了解消息来源的身份?
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
JA: That's right, yeah. Very rarely do we ever know. JA:没错,我们很少知道
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
And if we find out at some stage then we destroy that information as soon as possible. 如果在某阶段我们的确发现了其身份 我们也会尽快销毁这一信息
as soon as:一…就;
(Phone ring) God damn it. (电话铃声)该死!
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
CA: I think that's the CIA asking what the code is for a TED membership . CA:我想那是中情局在询问 TED成员的代码是什么
membership:n.成员资格;(统称)会员;会员人数;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So let's take the example, actually. 现在我们来看个实际例子
This is something you leaked a few years ago. 这是几年前 泄露的消息
leaked:v.漏;渗漏;泄漏;渗入;漏出;透露(秘密信息);(leak的过去分词和过去式)
If we can have this document up ... 现在我们可以公布这个文件
So this was a story in Kenya a few years ago. 这是几年前发生在肯尼亚的故事
Can you tell us what you leaked and what happened? 你能告诉我们你们泄露了什么以及后来发生了些什么吗?
JA: So this is the Kroll Report. JA:这是所谓的克勒尔报告
This was a secret intelligence report commissioned by the Kenyan government after its election in 2004. 这是一份秘密情报 由肯尼亚政府 在2004年大选之后授权制作的
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; commissioned:adj.受委任的;v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的过去式和过去分词)
Prior to 2004, Kenya was ruled by Daniel arap Moi for about 18 years. 2004年之前,肯尼亚在 Daniel arap Moi的统治下 长达18年
Prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先;
He was a soft dictator of Kenya. 他是肯尼亚的软独裁者
dictator:n.独裁者;命令者;
And when Kibaki got into power -- through a coalition of forces that were trying to clean up corruption in Kenya -- they commissioned this report, spent about two million pounds on this and an associated report. 后来当Kibaki试图掌权时—— 他利用了试图肃清肯尼亚腐败现象的 一些联合力量—— 他们便授权搜集了这样一份报告 一共花费了两百万英镑 在这份及另一份相关报告上
coalition:n.联合;结合,合并; corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
And then the government sat on it and used it for political leverage on Moi, who was the richest man -- still is the richest man -- in Kenya. 然后Kibaki政府以此为据 推翻了Moi—— 这个自始至终的肯尼亚首富—— 在肯尼亚的统治
leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购;
It's the Holy Grail of Kenyan journalism . 这是肯尼亚新闻界的圣杯
Holy Grail:na.圣杯; journalism:n.新闻业,新闻工作;报章杂志;
So I went there in 2007, and we managed to get hold of this just prior to the election -- the national election, December 28. 我2007年到了那里 我们设法在大选之前 得到了这份报告—— 全国大选定于12月28日
get hold of:把握;抓住;得到;
When we released that report, we did so three days after the new president, Kibaki, had decided to pal up with the man that he was going to clean out, 当我们公布这份报告时 正是新任总统,Kibaki 决定同那位他企图打击的人 进行合作的三日之后
pal up with:结交;
Daniel arap Moi. 那人即Daniel arap Moi
So this report then became a dead albatross around president Kibaki's neck. 所以这份报告在当时 成为了一个致命的负担 压在了Kibaki总统的身上
albatross:n.[鸟]信天翁;沉重负担;
CA: And -- I mean, to cut a long story short -- word of the report leaked into Kenya, not from the official media, but indirectly . CA:接下来——长话短说 关于此份报告的消息在肯尼亚走漏 不是通过正规媒体,而是间接地
official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; indirectly:adv.间接地;不诚实;迂回地;
And in your opinion, it actually shifted the election. 而以你的观点,它实际上改变了选举的进程
shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词);
JA: Yeah. So this became front page of the Guardian and was then printed in all the surrounding countries of Kenya, in Tanzanian and South African press. JA:是的,这件事上了卫报的头版 然后被肯尼亚所有周边国家转载 如坦桑尼亚和南非的媒体
front page:adj.(新闻等的)头版的;重要的;轰动的;vt.把…登在头版; Guardian:n.[法]监护人,保护人;守护者;adj.守护的;
And so it came in from the outside. 接着从外部流入肯尼亚国内
And that, after a couple of days, made the Kenyan press feel safe to talk about it. 几天之后 肯尼亚的媒体认为是时候谈论此事了
And it ran for 20 nights straight on Kenyan TV, shifted the vote by 10 percent, according to a Kenyan intelligence report, which changed the result of the election. 他们通过电视对此事进行了连续二十晚的报道 影响了百分之十的选票 根据肯尼亚的情报报告 由此改变了大选的结果
according to:根据,据说;
CA: Wow, so your leak really substantially changed the world? CA:哇,所以你泄露的消息 确实从实质上改变了世界?
substantially:adv.实质上;大体上;充分地;
JA: Yep. JA:没错
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: Here's -- We're going to just show a short clip from this CA:在这里,我们将播放 一小段视频
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
Baghdad airstrike video. 出自这份巴格达空袭录像
Baghdad:n.巴格达(伊拉克首都); airstrike:n.空袭;空中打击;
The video itself is longer. 这段视频本身要长一些
But here's a short clip. 这里我们只截取了一小段
This is -- this is intense material, I should warn you. 这是段很激烈的视频,我先提醒大家
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
Radio: ... just fuckin', once you get on 'em just open 'em up. 无线电:...去你的,对准就崩了他们
I see your element , uh, got about four Humvees , uh, out along ... 我看到你的人了,呃,大概有4辆悍马,呃,一起的
element:n.元素;要素;原理;成分;自然环境; Humvees:n.高机动多功能轮式运输车(Humvee的复数);
You're clear. All right. Firing. 你安全了。很好。开火
Let me know when you've got them. Let's shoot. 瞄准给我信号。开枪!
Light 'em all up. 把他们都干掉
C'mon, fire! 来吧,开火!
(Machine gun fire) (机关枪射击)
Keep shoot 'n. Keep shoot 'n. 继续射击。继续射击。
(Machine gun fire) (机关枪射击)
Keep shoot 'n. 继续射击。
Hotel ... Bushmaster Two-Six, Bushmaster Two-Six, we need to move, time now! HB26,HB26 转移,现在!
Bushmaster:n.巨蝮(毒蛇的一种);
All right, we just engaged all eight individuals . 很好,我们刚解决了8个人
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式) individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
Yeah, we see two birds [helicopters], and we're still firing. 我看到两个逃跑的,别熄火
Roger . I got 'em. Roger,我搞的定
Roger:n.罗杰;[男名]男子名;int.明白;v.与某人性交;
Two-Six, this is Two-Six, we're mobile . 26,这是26,我们移动中
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
Oops, I'm sorry. What was going on? 糟糕,抱歉,刚才是怎么回事?
God damn it, Kyle. All right, hahaha. I hit 'em. 该死的,凯尔。算了,哈哈哈,我打到他们了。
CA: So, what was the impact of that? CA:所以,刚才那段视频有什么影响?
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
JA: The impact on the people who worked on it was severe . JA:对视频中的人物 其后果很严重
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的;
We ended up sending two people to Baghdad to further research that story. 我们派了2个人去巴格达 来跟踪调查这个故事
So this is just the first of three attacks that occurred in that scene. 这只是在视频中出现的 三次袭击中的第一次
occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
CA: So, I mean, 11 people died in that attack, right, including two Reuters employees? CA:我知道,11个人在这此空袭中丧生 包括两名路透社职员,是吧
JA: Yeah. Two Reuters employees, two young children were wounded . JA:是的,包括两名路透社职员 还有两名儿童受伤
wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式)
There were between 18 and 26 people killed all together. 总共有18到26个人丧生
CA: And releasing this caused widespread outrage . CA:这段视频的公布 引起了广泛的愤慨
releasing:n.释放;松释动作;脱扣释放;v.释放;排放;(release的现在分词); widespread:adj.普遍的,广泛的;分布广的; outrage:n.愤怒,愤慨;暴行;侮辱;vt.凌辱,强奸;对…施暴行;激起愤怒;
What was the key element of this that actually caused the outrage, do you think? 你认为引起这些愤怒情绪的 关键因素是什么?
JA: I don't know, I guess people can see the gross disparity in force. 我不知道。我猜人们能看出 军队中的明显差异
gross:adj.总共的;粗野的;恶劣的;显而易见的;v.总共收入;n.总额,总数; disparity:n.不同;不一致;不等;
You have guys walking in a relaxed way down the street, and then an Apache helicopter sitting up at one kilometer firing 30-millimeter cannon shells on everyone -- looking for any excuse to do so -- and killing people rescuing the wounded. 有些人很放松地在街上巡视 有些人坐在角落的阿帕奇直升机里 发射30毫米的子弹 扫射所有人 然后为自己的做法找借口 杀掉那些拯救伤员的人
relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式) cannon:n.(通常装有轮子并发射铁弹或石弹的旧式)大炮;v.猛撞;碰撞; shells:n.壳;壳状物;炮弹;v.炮击;给…去壳(shell的第三人称单数和复数) rescuing:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的现在分词)
And there was two journalists involved that clearly weren't insurgents because that's their full-time job. 两个牵涉其中的记者明显不是叛乱者 因为记者才是他们的工作
journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数); involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) insurgents:n.叛乱分子(insurgent的复数); full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
CA: I mean, there's been this U.S. intelligence analyst , CA:接着有位美国的情报分析人员
analyst:n.分析者;精神分析医师;分解者;
Bradley Manning, arrested. 叫Bradley Manning,被捕
And it's alleged that he confessed in a chat room to have leaked this video to you, along with 280,000 classified U.S. embassy cables . 据称他在审讯室里承认 曾向你泄露了这段视频 以及28万份 美国大使馆机密电报
alleged:adj.宣称的;涉嫌的;v.断言,指称,声称;(allege的过去分词和过去式) confessed:adj.公开认错的;v.供认,坦白,承认;悔过;(confess的过去分词和过去式) chat room:n.[网]聊天室; embassy:n.大使馆;大使馆全体人员; cables:n.缆绳;钢索;电缆;电报;v.发电报;(cable的第三人称单数和复数)
I mean, did he? 是吗?
JA: Well, we have denied receiving those cables. JA:恩,我们曾否认收到了这些电报
denied:v.否认;拒绝;否定;不承认;(deny的过去分词和过去式)
He has been charged, about five days ago, with obtaining 150,000 cables and releasing 50. 他已经被起诉 就在5天前 被控取得15万电报 并且公布了50条
obtaining:n.得到,获取;v.得到(obtain的现在分词);
Now, we had released early in the year a cable from the Reykjavik U.S. embassy. 目前,我们公布了 今年年初的一条 来自雷克雅未克(冰岛首都)美国大使馆的电报
But this is not necessarily connected. 但这条并不相关
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
I mean, I was a known visitor of that embassy. 我是说,我是这个大使馆的熟客
CA: I mean, if you did receive thousands of U.S. embassy diplomatic cables ... CA:我是说,如果你们确实收到了成千上万 美国大使馆的外交电报……
diplomatic:adj.外交的;从事外交的;有手腕的;灵活变通的;
JA: We would have released them. (CA: You would?) JA:那我们应该已经公布出去了(CA:你真的会这样做?)
JA: Yeah. (CA: Because?) JA:是的(CA:原因是?)
JA: Well, because these sort of things reveal what the true state of, say, JA:因为这些东西 揭露了什么是真实的 恩,例如
reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
Arab governments are like, the true human-rights abuses in those governments. 阿拉伯政府的样子 在这些政府中漠视人权的真相
abuses:v.滥用;虐待;辱骂(abuse的三单形式);n.滥用;虐待;暴行(abuse的复数);
If you look at declassified cables, that's the sort of material that's there. 所以应该这样看待这些机密电报 以及存在的相关资料
declassified:解密的;
CA: So let's talk a little more broadly about this. CA:让我们谈得概括一些
broadly:adv.明显地;宽广地;概括地;露骨地;粗鄙地;
I mean, in general , what's your philosophy ? 概括来讲,你的人生哲学是什么?
in general:总之,通常;一般而言; philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观;
Why is it right to encourage leaking of secret information? 为什么鼓励泄露机密信息 对你来说是正确的事?
leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词)
JA: Well, there's a question as to what sort of information is important in the world, what sort of information can achieve reform . JA:这个问题涉及到什么样的信息对于这个世界是重要的 什么样的信息 能够推动改革
reform:v.改革;改进;改良;(使)悔改;n.改革;改良;改善;
And there's a lot of information. 世界上有各种信息
So information that organizations are spending economic effort into concealing , that's a really good signal that when the information gets out, there's a hope of it doing some good. 所以那些组织机构 花钱想要隐瞒的信息 这是个好的征兆 即当这些信息泄露出去后 会产生有益的后果
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; concealing:v.隐藏;隐瞒;掩盖;(conceal的现在分词)
Because the organizations that know it best, that know it from the inside out, are spending work to conceal it. 因为这些机构知道得太多 彻头彻尾 而他们在试图隐藏消息
And that's what we've found in practice . 这是我们的经验之谈
in practice:在实践中;实际上,事实上;
And that's what the history of journalism is. 而这也是新闻的历史之鉴
CA: But are there risks with that, either to the individuals concerned or indeed to society at large, where leaking can actually have an unintended consequence ? CA:但其中会不会有风险 无论对相关个人 还是对整个社会来讲 这样的泄密会不会导致 预料之外的后果?
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) unintended:adj.无意识的;非计划中的; consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
JA: Not that we have seen with anything we have released. 就目前我们所公布的材料而已还没有遇到过
I mean, we have a harm immunization policy . 我的意思是,我们有一套危害预防政策
immunization:n.免疫; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
We have a way of dealing with information that has sort of personal -- personally identifying information in it. 我们有一整套处理 涉及个人—— 个人身份相关信息的方法
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; identifying:n.识别,标识;标识关系;v.识别;(identify的现在分词)
But there are legitimate secrets -- you know, your records with your doctor; that's a legitimate secret. 但确实存在一些合法的机密 比如,你的医疗记录 这就是一个合法的机密
But we deal with whistleblowers that are coming forward that are really sort of well motivated . 但是与我们交流的告密者 他们确实有着好的动机
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
CA: So they are well-motivated. CA:所以你说他们的动机是善意的
And what would you say to, for example, the, you know, the parent of someone -- whose son is out serving the U.S. military , and he says, "You know what, you've put up something that someone had an incentive to put out. 那你又怎么向其他人解释,比如说 你知道的,某些父母 他们的儿子在美国军队服役 他们会说,你知道吗, 你揭露的东西表明你动机不纯
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; incentive:n.动机;刺激;adj.激励的;刺激的;
It shows a U.S. soldier laughing at people dying. 因为它展示了美国大兵嘲笑 那些濒死的人
That gives the impression -- has given the impression to millions of people around the world that U.S. soldiers are inhuman people. 这向全世界成千上万的人 留下了一个不好的印象 那就是美国大兵是没有人性的一群人
impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想; inhuman:adj.残忍的;野蛮的;无人性的;
Actually, they're not. My son isn't. How dare you ?" 而实际上他们并不是,至少我儿子不是,所以你怎么敢这么做?
How dare you:你怎么敢…!;
What would you say to that? 你对这样的父母怎么解释?
JA: Yeah, we do get a lot of that. JA:没错,我们确实得到了这样的反馈
But remember, the people in Baghdad, the people in Iraq, the people in Afghanistan -- they don't need to see the video; they see it every day. 但请记住,在巴格达的人们 在伊拉克和阿富汗的人们 他们并不需要看到这段视频 这样的事每天都在现实生活中上演
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
So it's not going to change their opinion. It's not going to change their perception . 所以这并不能改变他们的意见和想法
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
That's what they see every day. 这就是他们每天所看到的
It will change the perception and opinion of the people who are paying for it all. 它将会改变那些为这场战争买单的 人们的观念和想法
And that's our hope. 而这正是我们的希望
CA: So you found a way to shine light into what you see as these sort of dark secrets in companies and in government. CA:所以你是在试图揭露 你所认为的 那些公司和政府所隐藏的事实真相
Light is good. 真相是好的
But do you see any irony in the fact that, in order for you to shine that light, you have to, yourself, create secrecy around your sources ? 但你是否发现了其中矛盾的地方,实际上 为了揭露真相 你自己却不得不 将你的消息来源隐藏起来?
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的; secrecy:n.保密;秘密;隐蔽; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
JA: Not really. I mean, we don't have any WikiLeaks dissidents yet. JA:并不尽然。我是说,就目前而言 我们并没有任何“维基揭密”的反对者
dissidents:公开大唱反调者;持异议者;持不同政见者;
We don't have sources who are dissidents on other sources. 并没有一个消息来源是另一个消息来源的反对者
Should they come forward, that would be a tricky situation for us. 如果他们真的出现,对我们来说才是棘手的情况
tricky:adj.难办的;难对付的;狡猾的;诡计多端的;
But we're presumably acting in such a way that people feel morally compelled to continue our mission, not to screw it up . 可能我们的角色 让人们感觉 道义上的责任 来继续我们的行为,而不是搞砸它
presumably:adv.大概;推测起来;可假定; morally:adv.道德上;有道德地;确实地; compelled:v.强迫;迫使;使必须;引起(反应);(compel的过去分词和过去式) screw it up:搞砸;
CA: I'd actually be interested, just based on what we've heard so far -- CA:我确实非常感兴趣,就目前我们听到的而言
I'm curious as to the opinion in the TED audience. 我对TED观众的意见很感兴趣
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
You know, there might be a couple of views of WikiLeaks and of Julian. 对于“维基揭密”以及Julian本人 可能会有很多不同意见
You know, hero -- people's hero -- bringing this important light. 比如,英雄—人民的英雄— 揭露关键真相
Dangerous troublemaker . 危险的麻烦制造者
troublemaker:n.捣乱者,闹事者;惹麻烦的人;
Who's got the hero view? 谁认为他是英雄?
Who's got the dangerous troublemaker view? 谁认为他是个大麻烦?
JA: Oh, come on. There must be some. JA:噢拜托,肯定有人这么想
CA: It's a soft crowd, Julian, a soft crowd. CA:他们心肠软,Julian
We have to try better. Let's show them another example. 我们再来试一试。再给大家一个例子
Now here's something that you haven 't yet leaked, but I think for TED you are. 这份资料你还没有泄露过 将在TED上首次披露
haven:n.避难所;保护区;v.把船开进港;掩护;
I mean it's an intriguing story that's just happened, right? 这是个相当引人入胜的故事,刚发生,对吧?
intriguing:adj.有趣的;迷人的;v.引起…的兴趣;策划阴谋;私通;(intrigue的现在分词)
What is this? 这是什么故事?
JA: So this is a sample of what we do sort of every day. JA:这只是我们每天所做事情的 其中一个例子
So late last year -- in November last year -- there was a series of well blowouts in Albania like the well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, but not quite as big. 去年年末—去年11月— 发生了一系列的油井泄露事件 在阿尔巴尼亚 类似墨西哥湾的油井泄露 只是没有那么大规模
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; blowouts:爆裂;喷出;[电]保险丝烧断;井中喷水或油等(blowout的名词复数); Gulf:n.海湾;深渊;分歧;漩涡;vt.吞没;
And we got a report -- a sort of engineering analysis into what happened -- saying that, in fact, security guards from some rival , various competing oil firms had, in fact, parked trucks there and blown them up. 我们得到了一份报告 一份所谓对泄露的机械分析 阐明,其实 一些来自竞争对手石油公司的保全人员 蓄意引起爆炸
engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; rival:v.与…相匹敌;比得上;adj.竞争的;n.竞争对手; competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词)
And part of the Albanian government was in this, etc., etc. 阿尔巴尼亚政府也有份参与,等等
And the engineering report had nothing on the top of it. 这份机械报告 并没具体说明细节
So it was an extremely difficult document for us. 对我们来说这份文件很有难度
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
We couldn't verify it because we didn't know who wrote it and knew what it was about. 我们不能证实这个消息 因为我们不知道谁写的,涉及些什么
verify:vt.核实;查证;
So we were kind of skeptical that maybe it was a competing oil firm just sort of playing the issue up. 所以我们怀疑,也许 这是竞争对手的石油公司从中作梗
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
So under that basis, we put it out and said, "Look, we're skeptical about this thing. 在这样的条件下,我们发布了这份文件并声明 “我们对此事表示怀疑,
We don't know, but what can we do? 我们并不知道真相,也无计可施
The material looks good, it feels right, but we just can't verify it." 这份材料看起来揭露了些真相 但是我们没法证实。”
And we then got a letter just this week from the company who wrote it, wanting to track down the source -- 然后我们收到了一封信 就在这周 信来自写这份报告的公司 他们想追踪消息来源
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
(Laughter) (笑声)
saying, "Hey, we want to track down the source." 他们说“嘿,我们想找到消息来源”
And we were like, "Oh, tell us more. 而我们的反应是,“再跟我们说一点
What document, precisely, is it you're talking about? 你说的究竟是哪个文件?
Can you show that you had legal authority over that document? 你能证明你们对这份文件有法律权限吗?
authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
Is it really yours?" 这真的与你们有关吗?”
So they sent us this screen shot with the author in the Microsoft Word ID. 所以他们给我们发来了这个截屏 包含作者 和微软文字处理软件的标题
Yeah. 没错
(Applause) (鼓掌)
That's happened quite a lot though. 这样的情况经常发生
This is like one of our methods of identifying -- of verifying what a material is, is to try and get these guys to write letters. 这是我们的方法之一 来识别,证实这是怎样的材料 来试着让更多的人给我们写信
verifying:v.验证;核查(verify的ing形式);
CA: Yeah. Have you had information from inside BP? CA:是吗。那你们有没有收到 来自英国石油公司内部的消息?
JA: Yeah, we have a lot, but I mean, at the moment, we are undergoing a sort of serious fundraising and engineering effort. JA:确实有,而且不少。但目前 我们正在进行一系列的资金筹集和技术改良工作
undergoing:v.经历,经受(变化、不快的事等);(undergo的现在分词) fundraising:n.筹款;募捐;
So our publication rate over the past few months has been sort of minimized while we're re-engineering our back systems for the phenomenal public interest that we have. 所以我们发布的信息量 在过去的几个月里 大大减少了 我们利用这段时间更新系统 以适应我们所受到的巨大的公众关注度
publication:n.出版物;发表;公布;发行; minimized:adj.最小化的; v.使减少; re-engineering:n.再设计;改建;重组工程;v.再造;重建(re-engineer的ing形式); phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
That's a problem. 这是个问题
I mean, like any sort of growing startup organization, we are sort of overwhelmed by our growth. 我是说,正如任何处于起步阶段的机构一样 我们的发展 跟不上我们扩张的速度
overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
And that means we're getting enormous quantity of whistleblower disclosures of a very high caliber , but don't have enough people to actually process and vet this information. 这意味着我们得到了越来越多的 告密者所揭露的 非常高端的真相 但是我们没有足够的人手 来处理和审查这些信息
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; quantity:n.量;数量;大量;数额; disclosures:n.揭露;透露;公开;公开的事情;(disclosure的复数) caliber:n.[军]口径;才干;水准(等于calibre);器量; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
CA: So that's the key bottleneck , basically journalistic volunteers and/or the funding of journalistic salaries? CA:这就是瓶颈所在 主要在于处理信息的人手 和/或这些人手的工资?
bottleneck:n.瓶颈;障碍物; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; journalistic:adj.新闻业的,新闻工作者的; volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
JA: Yep. Yeah, and trusted people. JA:是的,还有可靠的人手
I mean, we're an organization that is hard to grow very quickly because of the sort of material we deal with. 我的意思是,我们是一个组织 但要迅速扩张是很困难的 这是由我们所处理的材料决定的
So we have to restructure in order to have people who will deal with the highest national security stuff, and then lower security cases. 所以我们必须重组 以求获得更多线人 尤其是涉及高级国家机密的人员 以降低安全级别
restructure:vt.调整;重建;更改结构;
CA: So help us understand about you personally and how you came to do this. CA:让我们来更多的了解下你个人 以及你为什么开始做这件事
And I think I read that as a kid you went to 37 different schools. 我记得我看到过,你小的时候 一共去过37个学校上学
Can that be right? 这是真的吗?
JA: Well, my parents were in the movie business and then on the run from a cult , so the combination between the two ... JA: 这个,我父母从事电影业 然后叛离异教 所以二者结合...
on the run:在逃;奔波;跑着; cult:n.崇拜; adj.受特定群体欢迎的; combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合;
(Laughter) (笑声)
CA: I mean, a psychologist might say that's a recipe for breeding paranoia . CA:我想,心理学家可能会说 这真是产生偏执狂的绝佳条件啊
psychologist:n.心理学家,心理学者; recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法; breeding:n.繁殖;饲养;教养;再生;v.生产;培育;使…繁殖;(breed的现在分词) paranoia:n.[心理]偏执狂,[内科]妄想狂;
JA: What, the movie business? JA: 什么?电影业吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: And you were also -- I mean, you were also a hacker at an early age and ran into the authorities early on. CA:你也是—— 你年轻的时候也是个黑客 开始的时候侵入权威网站
hacker:n.电脑黑客,企图不法侵入他人电脑系统的人; authorities:n.权力;威权;职权;批准;(authority的复数)
JA: Well, I was a journalist. JA:我那时是个记者
You know, I was a very young journalist activist at an early age. 我是个非常年轻的记者和激进分子
activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子;
I wrote a magazine, was prosecuted for it when I was a teenager. 我为杂志写专栏 而由此在青少年时代就遭到起诉
prosecuted:v.起诉;控告;检举;(prosecute的过去式和过去分词)
So you have to be careful with hacker. 所以对黑客这个行为要非常谨慎
I mean there's like -- there's a method that can be deployed for various things. 我是说这是种非常手段 有不同的目的加以利用
deployed:v.部署(deploy的过去式);展开;
Unfortunately , at the moment, it's mostly deployed by the Russian mafia in order to steal your grandmother's bank accounts. 不幸的是,现阶段 它主要被俄罗斯黑手党用来 窃取个人银行账户
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; mafia:n.黑手党;(意)秘密政党;
So this phrase is not -- not as nice as it used to be. 所以现阶段 情况并不如以前的好
CA: Yeah, well, I certainly don't think you're stealing anyone's grandmother's bank account . CA:是的,但我当然不认为 你会偷任何人的账号
bank account:n.银行账户;
But what about your core values? 但是什么是 你的核心价值观呢?
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
Can you give us a sense of what they are and maybe some incident in your life that helped determine them? 你能向我们描述一下 或者说明你人生中的何种变故 使你产生了这样的价值观呢?
determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
JA: I'm not sure about the incident. JA:我并不确定所谓的人生变故
But the core values: well, capable , generous men do not create victims; they nurture victims. 但关于我的核心价值观 我认为,宅心仁厚的人们 不会直接制造受害者 他们却能影响受害者
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的; nurture:v.养育;培养;养护;支持;
And that's something from my father and something from other capable, generous men that have been in my life. 这个事实是我的父亲 以及其他一些我生命中出现的宅心仁厚的人 让我感受到的
CA: Capable, generous men do not create victims; they nurture victims? CA:宅心仁厚的人们并不直接制造受害者 却能影响受害者?
JA: Yeah. And you know, JA:是的,你知道
I'm a combative person, so I'm not actually sort of big on the nurture. 我是个好斗的人 我并不是个成长中的大人物
combative:adj.好战的;好事的;
But some way -- 但某种程度上讲——
There is another way of nurturing victims, which is to police perpetrators of crime. 有另一种方式能影响受害者 那就是监督罪犯的 犯罪行为
nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词) perpetrators:n.作恶者;行凶者;犯罪者;(perpetrator的复数)
And so that is something that has been in my character for a long time. 而这个认识 已经成为我性格的一部分 持续很长时间
CA: So just tell us, very quickly in the last minute, the story: what happened in Iceland? CA:现在,趁着最后的时间,给我们讲下这个故事 在冰岛发生了什么事?
You basically published something there, ran into trouble with a bank, then the news service there was injuncted from running the story. 你在那里发布了些信息 在银行那儿遇到些麻烦 然后那里的新闻机构 被禁止报道此事
Instead, they publicized your side. 而他们却引起了公众对你的注意
publicized:v.宣传(publicize的过去分词);公布;广告;
That made you very high-profile in Iceland. What happened next? 这使得你在冰岛非常高调。然后呢?
high-profile:adj.高调的;备受瞩目的;知名度高的;
JA: Yeah, this is a great case, you know. JA:是的,这是个很好的例子
Iceland went through this financial crisis . 冰岛度过了这次的金融危机
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
It was the hardest hit of any country in the world. 遭受到了比任何国家都更严重的打击
Its banking sector was 10 times the GDP of the rest of the economy . 其银行业收入 是其他行业GDP收入的10倍
sector:n.部门;扇形,扇区;象限仪;函数尺;vt.把…分成扇形; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
Anyway, so we release this report in July last year. 长话短说,我们公布了这份报告 在去年的7月
And the national TV station was injuncted five minutes before it went on air. 在直播前的5分钟 国家电视台禁止播放这条消息
Like out of a movie, injunction landed on the news desk , and the news reader was like, "This has never happened before. What do we do?" 就像电影里的情节,禁令从天而降 新闻播报员措手不及 “这件事从未发生过,我们该怎么办”
injunction:n.[管理]禁令;命令;劝告; news desk:n.(报社、电台或电视台的)新闻编辑部;
Well, we just show the website instead, for all that time, as a filler . 于是,我们一直显示我们的网页 填充这段新闻空白
for all that:尽管;虽然如此; filler:n.(杂志等的)补白;装填者;装填物;充填器;
And we became very famous in Iceland, went to Iceland and spoke about this issue. 于是我们在冰岛变得非常有名 我去了冰岛说明这个事件
And there was a feeling in the community that that should never happen again. 在这个国家当时有种感觉 这件事不应该再次发生
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And as a result , working with some Icelandic politicians and some other international legal experts, we put together a new sort of package of legislation for Iceland to sort of become an offshore haven for the free press, 所以 我们同冰岛的政治家 以及其他一些国际法律专家合作 我们拟定了一份新的 适合于冰岛的法律条文 这成为了冰岛新闻自由的 一个避风港
as a result:结果; Icelandic:adj.冰岛的;冰岛人的;冰岛语的;n.冰岛语; politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; legislation:n.立法;法律; offshore:adj.离岸的;[海洋]近海的;吹向海面的;adv.向海面,向海;
with the strongest journalistic protections in the world, with a new Nobel Prize for freedom of speech. 并带来了世界上最强硬的一次记者游行示威 以及一个奖励自由言论的 诺贝尔奖
Nobel Prize:n.诺贝尔奖;
Iceland's a Nordic country so, like Norway, it's able to tap into the system. 冰岛是一个日耳曼国家 所以,就像挪威一样,它能将这些融入国家系统
Nordic:adj.北欧人的;斯堪的纳维亚的;日耳曼民族的;n.北欧人;日耳曼民族;
And just a month ago, this was passed by the Icelandic parliament unanimously . 就在一个月前 这项法案在冰岛议会获得一致通过
parliament:n.议会,国会; unanimously:adv.全体一致地;
CA: Wow. CA:噢!
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Last question, Julian. 最后一个问题,Julian
When you think of the future then, do you think it's more likely to be 当你展望未来 你觉得未来更倾向于发生
Big Brother exerting more control, more secrecy, or us watching 老大哥(出自小说 1984 ,指无处不在的监视者)施加更多的控制 拥有更多秘密 还是我们监视
exerting:v.运用;行使;施加;努力;竭力;(exert的现在分词)
Big Brother, or it's just all to be played for either way? 老大哥的行为 或者为双方服务?
JA: I'm not sure which way it's going to go. JA:我不清楚会按照何种方式
I mean there's enormous pressures to harmonize freedom of speech legislation and transparency legislation around the world -- within the E.U., between China and the United States. 我们面临很大压力 要使言论自由的条例 和世界范围内的司法透明相协调 不仅在欧盟 也要在中国和美国
harmonize:vt.使和谐;使一致;以和声唱;vi.协调;和谐;以和声唱; transparency:n.透明,透明度;幻灯片;有图案的玻璃; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
Which way is it going to go? It's hard to see. 到底会以何种方式进行?这很难说
That's why it's a very interesting time to be in. 所以这个时期才会让人非常有兴趣
Because with just a little bit of effort we can shift it one way or the other. 因为只需要一点努力 我们就能决定其方向
CA: Well, it looks like I'm reflecting the audience's opinion to say, Julian, be careful and all power to you. CA:好了,看起来我要来传达一下观众的意见 Julian,小心点 希望你得偿所愿
reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词)
JA: Thank you, Chris. (CA: Thank you.) JA:谢谢你,Chris.(CA:谢谢)
(Applause) (掌声)