|
|
JuliaSweeney_2010-_朱莉娅斯威尼(julia_sweeney)和女儿的“谈话”_
|
I have a daughter, Mulan. |
我的女儿叫木兰。 |
And when she was eight, last year, she was doing a report for school or she had some homework about frogs. |
去年她刚好八岁, 学校要她做个报告, 要么就是她得做些和青蛙有关的家庭作业。 |
And we were at this restaurant, and she said, "So, basically , frogs lay eggs and the eggs turn into tadpoles , and tadpoles turn into frogs." |
当时我们在餐馆, 她说,”那么,基本上, 青蛙产卵, 卵变成蝌蚪, 然后蝌蚪变成青蛙。” |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; tadpoles:n.[脊椎]蝌蚪(tadpole的复数形式);
|
And I said, "Yeah. You know, I'm not really up on my frog reproduction that much. |
我回答,“大概吧,我对青蛙繁殖不是很熟悉, |
reproduction:n.繁殖,生殖;复制;复制品;
|
It's the females, I think, that lay the eggs, and then the males fertilize them. |
我想,应该是雌青蛙产卵, 雄青蛙使他们受精, |
fertilize:vt.使受精;使肥沃;
|
And then they become tadpoles and frogs." |
然后就变成了蝌蚪和青蛙。” |
And she says, "What? Only the females have eggs?" |
女儿说,”什么?只有雌青蛙产卵?“ |
And I said, "Yeah." |
我说,”是的。“ |
And she goes, "And what's this fertilizing ?" |
她问,”那么什么是受精?“ |
fertilizing:n.施肥;v.施肥(fertilize的ing形式);
|
So I kind of said, "Oh, it's this extra ingredient , you know, that you need to create a new frog from the mom and dad frog." (Laughter) |
我就回答,”噢,是额外的一种成分... 你知道,需要这种额外的成分 来使得青蛙爸爸和青蛙妈妈 得到一只青蛙宝宝。” |
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: ingredient:n.原料;要素;组成部分;adj.构成组成部分的;
|
And she said, "Oh, so is that true for humans too?" |
她又问,“哦,人类也是这样吗?” |
And I thought, "Okay, here we go." |
我心想,“这下好了,该来的还是要来。” |
I didn't know it would happen so quick, at eight. |
我没有想到这事来得这么快,她才八岁。 |
I was trying to remember all the guidebooks , and all I could remember was, "Only answer the question they're asking. |
我努力回想所有给家长的指导丛书, 唯一能想起就是, “只回答孩子们问的问题, |
guidebooks:n.[图情]指南(guidebook的复数);旅行指南;
|
Don't give any more information." (Laughter) |
不要提供任何额外的信息。“ |
So I said, "Yes." |
于是我说,”是。“ |
And she said, "And where do, um, where do human women, like, where do women lay their eggs?" |
她又问:“ 在哪里, 人类妇女 在哪里产卵呢? |
And I said, "Well, funny you should ask. (Laughter) |
我回答,“嗯, 好问题, |
We have evolved to have our own pond . |
我们已经进化到了有自己的池塘, |
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
|
We have our very own pond inside our bodies. |
我们的身体里有属于自己的池塘。 |
And we lay our eggs there, we don't have to worry about other eggs or anything like that. |
就在体内的池塘里产卵。 我们也不用担心会和别人的卵搞混, |
It's our own pond. And that's how it happens." |
因为那是我们自己的池子。就是这么回事。“ |
And she goes, "Then how do they get fertilized ?" |
她又问,”那么这些卵怎么受精呢?“ |
fertilized:v.使受精;使受粉;使受胎;使受孕;施肥于;(fertilize的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I said, "Well, |
我回答,”嗯, |
Men, through their penis , they fertilize the eggs by the sperm coming out. |
通过男人的阴茎, 他们的精子使卵子受精。 |
penis:n.阴茎; sperm:n.精子;精液;鲸蜡油;
|
And you go through the woman's vagina ." |
这要经过女人的阴道。“ |
vagina:n.[解剖]阴道;叶鞘;鞘;
|
And so we're just eating, and her jaw just drops, and she goes, "Mom! |
当时我们正在吃饭,她惊讶得把嘴张得老大,下巴恨不得掉下来, 喊道,”妈妈! |
Like, where you go to the bathroom?" |
就是我们上厕所时用的的地方?” |
And I said, "I know. |
我说,“可不是~~ |
I know." |
可不是~~ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
That's how we evolved. It does seem odd . |
但这就是我们的进化,是有点奇怪, |
odd:adj.古怪的;奇数的;n.奇数;
|
It is a little bit like having a waste treatment plant right next to an amusement park ... |
就好像把一个废弃物处理站 建得紧靠游乐场一样, |
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; amusement park:n.游乐场;娱乐园;
|
Bad zoning, but ..." (Laughter) |
规划不当。但是…… |
She's like, "What?" And she goes, "But Mom, but men and women can't ever see each other naked , Mom. |
她又惊呼“什么?但是妈妈 男人和女人不能看见彼此光着身子的样子啊妈妈。 |
naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的;
|
So how could that ever happen?" |
那么这怎么可能发生呢?” |
And then I go, "Well," and then I put my Margaret Mead hat on. |
这时我摆出一副人类学家的模样开始步道: |
Mead:n.蜂蜜酒;草地;
|
'"Human males and females develop a special bond, and when they're much older, much, much older than you, and they have a very special feeling, then they can be naked together." |
男人和女人呢, 会发展出一种特别的关系, 当他们长大时,比你可要大得多的多, 他们之间会产生一种特别的情感, 到那时他们就可以赤裸相见。“ |
And she said, "Mom, have you done this before?" |
她问,“妈妈, 你以前也做过那些?” |
And I said, "Yes." |
我回答,“是的。” |
And she said, "But Mom, you can't have kids." |
她又说,“但是妈妈,你不能生小孩啊。” |
Because she knows that I adopted her and that I can't have kids. |
因为她知道她是我领养的小孩因为我不能生育。 |
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
|
And I said, "Yes." |
我回答,“是的。” |
And she said, "Well, you don't have to do that again." |
她松了口气,“谢天谢地你不用再做那些了。” |
And I said, "..." |
我无语。 |
And then she said, "But how does it happen when a man and woman are together? |
过了一会儿她又问了,“但是当一个男人和一个女人在一起时那些事情会怎样发生呢? |
Like, how do they know that's the time? |
就好比,他们怎么知道是时候了呢? |
Mom, does the man just say, 'Is now the time to take off my pants?'" |
妈妈,难道男人就直接问, 现在是时候脱裤子了吗? |
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
And I said, "Yes." |
我说,“没错。 |
(Laughter) |
(狂笑) |
'"That is exactly right. |
完全正确 |
That's exactly how it happens." |
就是这么说的。” |
So we're driving home and she's looking out the window, and she goes, "Mom. What if two just people saw each other on the street, like a man and a woman, they just started doing it. Would that ever happen?" |
后来我们开车回家,她看着窗外,问道, “妈妈,如果两个人在街上遇到, 一个男的一个女的,然后他们就突然开始做那事了,会不会这样啊?” |
What if:如果…怎么办?
|
And I said, "Oh, no. Humans are so private. |
我说,“噢,不,人类是很注重隐私的。 |
Oh ..." |
哦,不会的。“ |
And then she goes, "What if there was like a party, and there was just like a whole bunch of girls and a whole bunch of boys, and there was a bunch of men and women and they just started doing it, Mom? |
她又说,”如果有个聚会, 有一群男人和一群女人。 然后他们就突然开始做那事了。妈妈, |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
|
Would that ever happen?" |
这会不会发生啊?“ |
And I said, "Oh, no, no. |
我回答,”噢,不,不, |
That's not how we do it." |
我们不会这样做的。” |
Then we got home and we see the cat. And she goes, "Mom, how do cats do it?" |
随后我们到家,看见只猫,她又问道, “妈妈,猫咪们是怎么做的呢?” |
And I go, "Oh, it's the same. It's basically the same." |
我回答,“是一样的,基本上一样。” |
And then she got all caught up in the legs. "But how would the legs go, Mom? |
她立刻纠缠在腿的问题上,“但是,腿要怎么放呢?妈妈 |
I don't understand the legs." |
我不知道腿要怎么办。“ |
She goes, "Mom, everyone can't do the splits." |
她说,”妈妈,又不是每个人都会劈叉。“ |
And I go, "I know, but the legs ..." |
我说,”我知道,但这腿……” |
and I'm probably like, "The legs get worked out." |
腿的问题自己会解决啦。” |
And she goes, "But I just can't understand it." |
她纠缠不放,“但是我想不通。” |
So I go, "You know, why don't we go on the Internet, and maybe we can see ... like on Wikipedia ." (Laughter) |
没办法,我只好说,“要不我们上网吧, 也许可以看到。”我当时猜测维基百科之类。 |
Wikipedia:维基百科;
|
So we go online, and we put in "cats mating ." |
于是我们上网,搜索猫的交配。 |
mating:n.交尾;交配;v.交配;交尾;使交配;(mate的现在分词)
|
And, unfortunately , on YouTube, there's many cats mating videos. |
不幸的是,在YouTube上,有无数猫的交配视频。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
And we watched them and I'm so thankful, because she's just like, "Wow! This is so amazing." |
我们看了,非常谢天谢地的, 她只是一直感叹,“哇,多么神奇啊!” |
She goes, "What about dogs?" |
她又继续,“那么狗狗呢?” |
So we put in dogs mating, and, you know, we're watching it, and she's totally absorbed . |
我们接着搜索狗的交配, 你知道,又看了那些视频,她完全沉浸其中。 |
absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式)
|
And then she goes, "Mom, do you think they would have, on the Internet, any humans mating?" |
她再次发问,“妈妈, 你说网上会不会有 人交配的视频啊?” |
(Laughter) |
(大笑) |
And then I realized that |
这时我才意识到, |
I had taken my little eight year old's hand, and taken her right into Internet porn . (Laughter) |
我牵着八岁女儿的手, 一直把她带进了网络色情片的殿堂。 |
porn:n.淫秽作品;色情书刊(或音像制品等)(等于pornography);
|
And I looked into this trusting, loving face, and I said, "Oh, no. |
我看着她 她那天真充满信任的脸, 我说, “哦,不, |
That would never happen." |
绝对没有。” |
Thank you. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声不断) |
Thank you. I'm so happy to be here. |
谢谢,很高兴来这里。 |