返回首页

JuanEnriquez_2019S-_美墨边境,一个对人性的个人请愿_-

This one's personal . 这是一个非常个人的演讲。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I know what it's like to have the government say, "We're going to kill you in the morning." 我知道这是一个什么感受, 当政府告诉你: “我们明早就要把你杀了。”
I know what it's like to leave a country on six hours' notice and land on someone's couch . 我知道当接到通知, 以及睡在别人家沙发上 是什么感觉。
couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着;
Because of that, I wrote a book on why countries do well and why they don't. 因为这些经历,我写了本书, 关于为什么有些国家治理得好, 而有些国家不,
Let me summarize 250 pages. 让我总结一下这250页。
summarize:v.总结;概述;概括;归纳;
Countries have to be compassionate , they have to be kind, they have to be smart, they have to be brave. 国家需要有怜悯之心, 他们应当善良, 他们应当聪慧,
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
Want to know what doesn't work? 想要知道什么行不通?
When you govern through fear and you govern through cruelty , it just doesn't work. 当国家利用恐惧、 使用残暴来统治, 这就是行不通的。
cruelty:n.残酷;残忍;残酷的行为;
You can play Genghis Khan for a while , you can play Stalin for a while , you can play Pinochet for a while. 你可以充当一会儿成吉思汗, 你可以假装一会儿斯大林, 你可以扮演一会儿皮诺切特,
Genghis Khan:n.非常残酷的人;极右分子; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; Stalin:n.斯大林(前苏联领导人);
It does not work in the long run . 但这都不能长久。
in the long run:长远;终究;
And it doesn't work in the long run because to govern through fear and cruelty, you have to create a division . 这不是长久之计, 是因为为使用恐惧和暴力来统治, 你需要建立一条“鸿沟”,
division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧;
You have to take big chunks of the country and convince them that they're not like them. 你需要占领大块国家土地, 并且说服他们: 你们和他们不一样。
chunks:n.厚块;大块;相当大的量;组块;(chunk的复数) convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
That they shouldn't associate with them, they shouldn't talk to them. 你们不应该和他们往来, 你们不应该和他们说话,
associate with:v.联合;与…联系在一起;和…来往;
That those people are nasty , those people are criminals, those people are rapists . 他们是令人厌恶的下等人, 他们是罪犯, 他们是强暴者。
nasty:adj.极差的:令人厌恶的:不友好的:n.令人不愉快的事物: rapists:n.强奸犯;强奸者;(rapist的复数)
And the country is in danger because of them. 因为他们, 国家正处于危难。
And if you spend millions of dollars doing that in your country, you will make enemies abroad , and you will create divisions within. 如果你花费千万人民币做这事, 你会在国外树敌, 你也会在国内建立无数分歧。
abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国; divisions:n.分开;分隔;分配;除(法);不和;差异;(division的复数)
And that has consequences . 这是有后果的。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
Three quarters of the flags and the borders and the anthems around the United Nations today, they were not there a few decades ago. 今天的联合国中, 在几十年前,是没有的。
Three quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三; anthems:n.圣歌(anthem的复数);颂歌; United Nations:n.联合国;
Those lines that are there today, those flags were created because somebody said, "the Scotts are not like us," 如今,那些国界线的存在, 那些旗帜的出现, “苏格兰人不是我们”,
'"the Welsh are not like us," “威尔士人不属于我们”,
'"the Basques are not like us," “巴斯克人和我们不一样”,
Basques:n.巴斯克;巴斯克人;adj.巴斯克人的;
'"the northern Italians are not like us," “北意大利人有别于我们”,
Italians:n.意大利人(Italian的复数形式);
'"the Muslims are not like us," “穆斯林和我们没有关系”,
the blacks, the whites, the Christians. 黑人、白人,基督徒。
You create "us versus them" ... 你建立起“我们 vs. 他们”这一概念
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
you destroy nations. 便可摧毁国家。
Part of the problem from creating us versus them is it's hard to do. 建立“我们 vs. 他们” 有部分问题 很难做到。
What you have to do is you have to make people believe absurdities . 你要做的 是让大家相信荒诞谬论,
absurdities:n.荒谬;谬论;荒谬的言行;
And once people believe absurdities, then they start to commit atrocities . 一旦大家开始相信荒诞谬论, 他们开始实施暴行,
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; atrocities:n.暴行(atrocity的复数);残忍;
That's the dynamic of this thing. 这就是这件事的动力因素。
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的;
You can't create "us versus them" -- you can't have the massacres you had in Rwanda, you can't have the massacres you had in Yugoslavia -- unless if you create this dynamic. 你不能建立“我们 vs. 他们”, 卢旺达不会发生大屠杀, 南斯拉夫也不会进行杀戮, 除非,你建立这个动力因素。
massacres:n.屠杀;残杀;惨败;v.屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;(massacre的第三人称单数和复数)
Let me summarize current immigration policy . 让我总结一下当前的移民政策。
immigration:n.外来移民;移居; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
Let's deter "Them" 我们一起威慑“他们”吧!
deter:v.阻止;制止;威慑;使不敢;
by being as cruel as we can possibly be, and let's target their children. 只要我们变得尽可能残忍, 并且针对他们的孩子,
They are going after the children. 在针对他们的孩子啊!
You have US lawyers arguing that kids do not need soap or hugs or showers, adult help or a release date. 你有美国律师在辩论: 孩子们不需要肥皂、拥抱或淋浴, 大人的帮助或出狱日期。
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
Somebody gets pulled over for a broken tail light , who's worked here for 20 years, gets thrown into jail , maybe for life, with no legal representation . 有在这里工作了20年的人 因为尾灯坏了, 在路边被警察叫停, 最终被送进监狱, 没有法律代表, 可能意味着终身监禁。
tail light:n.后灯; jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; representation:n.表现;代表;描述;陈述
The terrorists that blew up the World Trade Center get lawyers. 炸毁世贸中心的 恐怖分子请了律师,
These kids, these parents, they don't get lawyers. 但那些孩子和父母没有。
Governments are telling some of the most desperate , hurt people on earth, "I took your child, pay me 800 dollars for a DNA test before you get it back." 政府对 世上一些最绝望的 最受伤害的人说 “我劫持了你的孩子, 给我八百美金做亲子鉴定,
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
Three-year-olds are appearing in court. 三岁的孩子出现在法庭上。
Look, we've all watched these courtroom dramas . 我们都看过法庭剧,
courtroom:n.法庭;审判室; dramas:pl.戏剧;
And it's exciting, because the wise judge sits up there, and the defense lawyer attacks and the prosecutor counterattacks , and then you figure out how it's going to happen. 非常刺激, 因为明察善断的法官正襟危坐, 被告律师辩护, 检察官反击, 于是你能猜测到接下来的剧情。
prosecutor:n.检察官;公诉人;[法]起诉人;实行者; counterattacks:vt.反击;反攻;vi.反击;反攻;n.反击;反攻;
I want you to understand what is happening right now. 我想让你理解现在正在发生的事,
Prosecutor's there -- it's the tough prosecutor. 那里的检察官,
Accusing , attacking, on behalf of we the people. 代表我们人民,进行指控、辩论。
Accusing:adj.谴责的;指责的;v.控告;控诉;谴责;(accuse的现在分词) on behalf of:代表;为了;
The judge is up there, Judge Muckety-muck , with his black robes , and he's questioning the defendant from up there. 高高在上的法官,官高爵显, 身着黑色长袍, 质问着被告人, 在高台上。
Muckety-muck:有势力的人物; robes:n.长袍;礼服;v.(使)穿上长袍,礼服等(robe的第三人称单数); defendant:adj.[法律]被告的;辩护的;n.[法律]被告人;被告方;
And the defendant is three years old and the eyes don't reach the side of the table. 被告人,三岁, 眼睛还不及桌面高度,
The defendant does not speak the language. 不会说英语。
The earphones for the translator have fallen off the defendant's head, because there are no headphones for three-year-olds in US courtrooms , because they are not supposed to defend themselves. 被告人戴的翻译耳机掉了下来, 因为在美国的法庭上 因为他们根本还不该为自己辩护!
earphones:n.[电讯]耳机(earphone的复数); headphones:n.[电讯]耳机;听筒;[电子]头戴式受话器;(headphone的复数) courtrooms:n.法庭;审判室; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
This makes a mockery of justice , it makes a mockery of the prosecution system, it makes a mockery of who we are as a nation. 这是对司法审判的嘲弄, 这是对公诉制度的嘲笑, 这是对我们作为一个国家的嘲讽。
mockery:n.嘲弄;笑柄;徒劳无功;拙劣可笑的模仿或歪曲; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; prosecution:n.起诉,检举;进行;经营;
These are absurdities. 这些荒诞谬论,
These are atrocities. 这些暴行,
This is unbelievable . 是令人难以置信的。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
And we're looking at a bunch of statistics , but I want you to understand, this is happening to the housekeeper who brought up your kids. 我们看着大量统计数据, 但我想要你明白, 这正发生在 抚养你孩子的管家身上,
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数) housekeeper:n.管家,杂务主管;房间清洁工;
This is happening to the gardener who took care of your house. 帮你打理房子的园丁,
gardener:n.园丁;菜农;园艺爱好者;
This is happening to the guy who washed the dishes in the fancy restaurant you went to last week. 你上周去的 高级餐厅里的洗碗工
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
This is happening to the people who deliver the newspaper in the mornings. 今早给你送报纸的人身上。
This is your community , these are the people who have lived side by side with you. 这是你的社区, 这些是与你一起生活的人。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的;
Treated you well, treated you with respect , taken care of your kids, taken care of your grandparents. 他们对你很好, 他们尊重你, 照顾你的孩子, 照顾你的祖父母,
Treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) with respect:怀有敬意;
This is Luis, this is Laura, this is Jaime. 这是路易斯,这是劳拉, 这是杰米。
This isn't some abstract , "Oh, it's happening at the border" -- this is happening in our community, right now. 这不是什么抽象的个别情况, “哦,这发生在国界线那”—— 这正发生在你的社区, 就是现在!
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要;
And the danger in this stuff is once you start normalizing absurdities and atrocities, people think that those instruments are legitimate . 这其中的危险是, 你一旦常规化这些谬论和暴行, 人们便会认为 那些处理方式合理合法。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: normalizing:v.(使)正常化,标准化,常规化;(normalize的现在分词) instruments:n.器械;仪器;器具;手段(instrument的复数) legitimate:adj.合法的;正当的;合理的;正统的;v.使合法;认为正当(等于legitimize);
So you get school boards sending out letters like this: "Dear Parent, because your kid owes lunch money to the cafeteria, the result may be that your child will be taken away and put in foster care." 所以你会收到校董的来信: “亲爱的家长, 你的孩子因为欠学校餐厅午饭钱, 所以他可能会被带走, 送到寄养家庭。“
owes:v.欠;(把名誉等)归给…;有支付[偿还]义务;(owe的第三人称单数) foster:vt.培养;养育,抚育;抱(希望等);adj.收养的,养育的;
This is going out from school boards because people think, "Well, that seems to be an instrument of deterrence ." 这样的信件将会从校董发出, 因为人们认为 “嗯...这看起来是一个威慑方式”。
deterrence:n.威慑;妨碍物;挽留的事物;
When you board an airplane , before kids, before first class, soldiers in uniform board. 当你登机的时候, 在孩子,和头等舱旅客之前, 身着制服的士兵优先登机。
airplane:n.飞机; uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样;
Some of them are immigrants . 其中的一些,是移民。
immigrants:n.移民(immigrant的复数);
Here's a contract : join the army, serve your term, be honorably discharged , get citizenship . 这里是一份合同:参军, 任职服务,光荣退伍, 获得公民身份。
contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约; honorably:adv.体面地;值得尊敬地; discharged:v.准许(某人)离开;解雇;释放;排出;(discharge的过去分词和过去式) citizenship:n.[法]公民身份,公民资格;国籍;公民权;
We are rescinding those contracts after they have been signed. 他们签订合同后, 我们开始千方百计解除它。
rescinding:vi.解除;废除;撤回; contracts:n.[经]合同; v.使收缩;
And if those soldiers are killed in action, we are deporting their wives, and sometimes, their children. 如果那些士兵殉职, 我们就把他们的妻子驱逐出境,
deporting:v.把...驱逐出境;驱逐;;(deport的现在分词)
These are the people who protect us. 这些是保护我们的人,
These are the people that we honor. 这些是我们赋予荣誉的人,
These are the brave. 他们是勇士,
And this is how we're treating them. 然而这是我们对待他们的方式。
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词)
These are not the people who cross the border illegally . 他们不是非法跨越国界线的人。
illegally:adv.非法地;
Once you start allowing this kind of behavior, it normalizes into a society, and it rips the society apart. 可你一旦允许该行为的“非法性”, 它将会被社会常规化,
normalizes:正常化; rips:v.撕破;突然拉开;割开;(rip的第三人称单数)
Countries are built on the hard work and grit of immigrants; we are all immigrants. 国家是建立在 移民的辛苦劳动和毅力勇气上的, 我们都是移民,
grit:v.研磨;在…上铺砂砾;咬紧牙关;摩擦作声;n.粗砂,粗砂石;勇气;决心;
We just came at different times . 我们只是在不同的时间来到这里。
at different times:在不同的时间;在不同的时代;
Fifty-five percent of this country's main businesses, the most successful businesses in this country, the unicorns , are built by people who came as foreign students or as immigrants, and they're the founders or the cofounders . 这个国家55%的主要公司, 国内最成功的公司,那些天之骄子 它们的创办者或共同创办者 都主要由外国学生或移民担任的。
unicorns:n.独角兽(unicorn的复数); cofounders:n.共同创办人;
Well, here's what's happened over the last three years to the best brains in the world. 但在过去三年里, 这才是世界最强大脑们的 真正待遇:
Forty-two percent of them did not get visas or chose not to get visas. 其中42%的人,没有拿到签证, 或是选择不申请签证。
visas:n.(护照的)签证;v.发签证;(visa的第三人称单数和复数)
This is how you wipe out an economy . 这是你如何打击经济的。
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
This isn't about kids and borders. 这无关乎于孩子和国界,
It's about us. 这关于我们。
This is about who we are, who we the people are, as a nation and as individuals . 这关乎于我们是谁, 在一个国家和无数个人的层面上,
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
This is not an abstract debate . 这不是抽象的辩论。
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑;
A lot of us like to think if we had been back when Hitler was rising to power, we would have been out in the street, we would have opposed him, we would have stopped Mengele. 我们很多人喜欢想: 如果我们身处于 希特勒掌权的时候, 我们肯定会走上街头, 我们肯定会反对他,
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
A lot of us like to think, if we had been around during the '60s, we would have been with the Freedom Riders . 我们很多人喜欢想: 如果我们身处于 上世纪60年代, 我们必将于出现在 自由乘车运动者的队伍中,
Riders:骑手;附文;扶手(rider的复数);
We would have been at that bridge in Selma. 我们必将出现在 赛尔马桥的游行人群中。
Well, guess what? 但你猜怎么着?
Here's your chance. 这里有个机会,
It's now. 就是现在。
And as you're thinking about this stuff, it's not just the giant acts, it's not just go and block the bridge or chain yourself to something. 当你在思考这件事的时候, 这不仅是个壮举, 这不仅是去堵塞那座桥, 或是把你自己捆绑在某个东西上,
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的
It's what you do in your daily lives. 而应该是你每天都在做的事情。
The Harvard Art Museum just opened a show on how artists think about immigration and building a home somewhere else. 哈佛美术馆刚举办了一个特展, 是关于艺术家们对移民, 以及在其他地方安居的想法。
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
And people come out of that show and they're pretty shaken. 看完展览的观众
There was a blank wall at the end. 展览最后有一面白墙,
And the curators did something that usually doesn't happen -- they improvised . 策展人做了一件不同寻常的事: 即兴创作。
curators:n.馆长;监护人;管理者; improvised:v.即兴表演;临时做;即兴创作;(improvise的过去分词和过去式)
They drew four lines, and put in two words: "I belong." 他们画了4条线,写了3个字: “我属于”。
So you come out of this exhibit , and you can take a picture in front of it. 所以当你看完展览出来的时候, 你可以在这墙前拍照。
exhibit:v.展览;表现;展出;n.陈列品;(在法庭上出示的)物证;
I can't tell you the impact that has on people -- 我无法告诉你 这对于人们有多大影响。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
I watched people come out of this, and some of them sat in front of that picture, took a picture, and they had a great, big grin on their face, and some people just had tears. 我看到人们出来, 有的坐在了那副画面前, 拍了张照, 脸上露出灿烂的笑容; 有的面带泪光;
grin:v.咧嘴笑;露齿而笑;咧着嘴笑;n.咧着嘴笑;露齿的笑;
Some people hugged and brought in strangers, others brought in their family. 有的相拥, 其他人把家人纳入怀中。
Small acts of kindness go a long, long, long way. 小小的善举, 却能持续那么久,那么久。
There is pain going on in your community like you cannot believe. 在你的社区,疼痛正在上演, 这是你无法相信的。
So next time you're with a cab driver who may be one of "Them," 所以下次打车,
according to certain people, give that person an extra five bucks . 对某些人来说 是“他们”中一员的出租车司机, 多给他一些零钱。
according to:根据,据说; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: bucks:n.元;雄鹿;(buck的复数)
Next time you see a hotel maid, thank her and tip her double. 下次你看到酒店打扫人员, 记得感谢她,多给她些小费。
tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
Next time you see your gardener, you see your nanny , you see somebody like this, give them a great, big hug, and tell them they belong. 下次你看到家中园丁, 看到你家保姆, 看到任何一个类似处境的人, 给他们一个大大的拥抱,
nanny:n.保姆;母山羊;
Make them feel like they belong. 让他们感到“我们属于这里”。
It's time for big policies , but it's also time for big acts of kindness. 是时候制定重大政策了, 也是时候做出巨大善举了。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
Because we have to reclaim who we are, we have to reclaim this nation. 因为我们必须回归本我, 我们必须把这个国家恢复原样。
reclaim:v.开拓;回收再利用;改造某人,使某人悔改;n.改造,感化;再生胶;
(Voice breaking) And we cannot sit there and watch this shit going on. (声音哽咽) 我们不能坐以待毙 看着这个“鸿沟”一直加深。
This has got to stop, it's got to stop now. 这必须停止, 现在必须停止!
Thank you. 谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)