|
|
JoshSilver_2009G-_可调节的液体填充眼镜_
|
I'm going to tell you about one of the world's largest problems and how it can be solved. |
我将要说的,是现今世界最大的问题之一 以及解决它的方法 |
I'd like to start with a little experiment. |
我想以一个小实验开场 |
Could you put your hand up if you wear glasses or contact lenses , or you've had laser refractive surgery ? |
戴眼镜或隐形眼镜的请举手 或者做过激光屈光手术的 |
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; lenses:n.透镜;镜片;(眼球的)晶状体;(lens的复数) refractive:adj.折射的; surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
|
Now, unfortunately , there are too many of you for me to do the statistics properly. |
麻烦了,人太多了我都数不过来了 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
|
But it looks like -- I'm guessing -- that it'll be about 60 percent of the room because that's roughly the fraction of developed world population that have some sort of vision correction . |
但是我估计,举手的人大概占60% 因为这差不多就是做过视力矫正的人 在发达国家的比例 |
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; fraction:n.分数;小部分;小数;少量; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; correction:n.校正;修正;改正;处罚;
|
The World Health Organization estimates -- well, they make various estimates of the number of people who need glasses -- the lowest estimate is 150 million people. |
世界卫生组织评估过 他们通过不同的方式评估过需要戴眼镜的人数 最少也得有一亿五千万人 |
Organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; estimates:n.估计;估价;估计的成本;v.估价;估算(estimate的第三人称单数和复数)
|
They also have an estimate of around a billion. |
还有的估计是差不多10亿 |
But in fact, I would argue that we've just done an experiment here and now , which shows us that the global need for corrective eyewear is around half of any population. |
但是事实上,我们在这里刚刚统计了一次 说明世界上有差不多一半的人 需要佩戴眼镜 |
here and now:此时此地;立刻; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; corrective:adj.矫正的;惩治的;n.矫正物;改善法; eyewear:n.眼镜;眼镜防护;护目镜;
|
And the problem of poor vision, is actually not just a health problem, it's also an educational problem, and it's an economic problem, and it's a quality of life problem. |
视力差,实际上不仅仅是个健康问题 它还是教育问题 经济问题,生活质量的问题 |
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的 economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
Glasses are not very expensive. They're quite plentiful . |
眼镜不贵,也不紧缺 |
plentiful:adj.丰富的;许多的;丰饶的;
|
The problem is, there aren't enough eye care professionals in the world to use the model of the delivery of corrective eyewear that we have in the developed world. |
问题在于,没有足够的眼科方面的专业人士 会使用我们在发达国家中所用的 视力矫正器 |
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送;
|
There are just way too few eye care professionals. |
眼科护理专家实在是太少了 |
So this little slide here shows you an optometrist and the little blue person represents about 10,000 people and that's the ratio in the U.K. |
幻灯片上表示的是一位验光师 一个蓝色小人代表大约一万人 这是在英国的比例 |
optometrist:n.验光师;视力测定者; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
|
This is the ratio of optometrists to people in sub-Saharan Africa. |
这是在撒哈拉以南非洲中验光师占总人口的比例 |
optometrists:n.验光配镜师;(optometrist的复数) sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
|
In fact, there are some countries in sub-Saharan Africa where there's one optometrist for eight million of the population. |
事实上,有一些撒哈拉以南非洲的国家 八百万人里只有一个验光师 |
How do you do this? How do you solve this problem? |
怎么办?怎么解决这个问题? |
I came up with a solution to this problem, and I came up with a solution based on adaptive optics for this. |
我有个办法 这个方法是基于自适应光学的 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; adaptive:adj.适应的,适合的; optics:n.[光]光学;
|
And the idea is you make eye glasses, and you adjust them yourself and that solves the problem. |
自己做眼镜,自己调整 这样问题就解决了 |
adjust:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯;
|
What I want to do is to show you that one can make a pair of glasses. |
我接下来给你们演示自己如何做副眼镜 |
I shall just show you how you make a pair of glasses. I shall put this in my pocket. |
我来给你们演示一下,我把它放在口袋里 |
I'm short sighted. I look at the signs at the end, I can hardly see them. |
我近视,几乎看不到最后排的标志 |
So -- okay, I can now see that man running out there, and I can see that guy running out there. |
这样,好了,我能看见有个人跑出去了 我还能看见那边有个人跑出去了 |
I've now made prescription eyewear to my prescription. |
我通过自己诊断,做了副处方眼镜 |
prescription:n.处方;药方;医生开的药;开处方;
|
Next step in my process . |
接下来要这么做 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
So, I've now made eye glasses to my prescription. |
我给自己诊断,做了副眼镜 |
Okay, so I've made these glasses and ... |
好,这个眼镜... |
Okay, I've made the glasses to my prescription and ... |
...只要自己就行 |
... I've just ... |
就快好了 |
And I've now made some glasses. That's it. |
这就是我自己做的眼镜 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Now, these aren't the only pair in the world. |
这副眼镜不是独一无二的 |
In fact, this technology 's been evolving . |
事实上,这种技术一直在发展 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词)
|
I started working on it in 1985, and it's been evolving very slowly. |
我从1985年开始从事这个工作 这项技术发展得非常缓慢 |
There are about 30,000 in use now. |
现在世界上有大约三万人在使用 |
And they're in fifteen countries. They're spread around the world. |
他们分布在十五个国家,遍布全世界 |
And I have a vision, which I'll share with you. |
我有个梦想,想要跟大家分享 |
I have a global vision for vision. |
一个关于视力的全球性的梦想 |
And that vision is to try to get a billion people wearing the glasses they need by the year 2020. |
就是让十亿人 到2020年,能带上这种眼镜 |
To do that -- this is an early example of the technology. |
要实现这个梦想----这只是个早期演示品 |
The technology is being further developed -- the cost has to be brought down. |
现在技术已经大幅进步了 必须减小成本 |
This pair, in fact, these currently cost about 19 dollars. |
这副眼镜,事实上,成本大约19美元 |
currently:adv.当前;一般地;
|
But the cost has to be brought right down. |
但成本必须降下来 |
It has to be brought down because we're trying to serve populations who live on a dollar a day. |
之所以要控制成本,是因为我们服务的人群 是日均消费水平只有1美元的人 |
How do you solve this problem? |
怎么办? |
You start to get into detail. |
你得从细节着手 |
And on this slide, I'm basically explaining all the problems you have. |
这里我简要的介绍下可能遇到的各种问题 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
How do you distribute ? How do you work out how to fit the thing? |
怎么运输?怎么教人如何使用? |
distribute:v.分发;分配;分销;分散;
|
How do you have people realizing that they have a vision problem? |
怎么让人们意识到他们有视力问题? |
How do you deal with the industry? |
怎么处理工业生产的问题? |
And the answer to that is research. |
答案就是研究 |
What we've done is to set up the Center for Vision in the Developing World here in the university. |
我们已经建立了发展中国家视力中心 在这所大学里 |
If you want to know more, just come have a look at our website. Thank you. |
如果想进一步了解,请登录我们的网站。谢谢。 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |