返回首页

JonathanRossiter_2016X-_会吃汙染物的机器人_

Hi, I'm an engineer and I make robots. 嗨,我是工程师, 我制造机器人。
Now, of course you all know what a robot is, right? 当然你们都知道机器人,对吧?
If you don't, you'd probably go to Google , and you'd ask Google what a robot is. 如果你不知道,你大概会用谷歌 (Google), 查一下什么是机器人。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
So let's do that. 我们也来试一下。
We'll go to Google and this is what we get. 我们用谷歌得到这些。
Now, you can see here there are lots of different types of robots, but they're predominantly humanoid in structure . 你可以看到这里 有很多种不同的机器人, 但是它们很明显在结构上都很像人。
predominantly:adv.主要地;显著地; humanoid:adj.像人的;n.类人动物; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
And they look pretty conventional because they've got plastic,they've got metal, they've got motors and gears and so on. 而且它们有传统的外型, 因为它们有塑胶、金属, 还有马达、传动装置等等。
conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的; gears:n.[机]齿轮,[机]传动装置(gear的复数形式); v.以齿轮连起,安排(gear的三单形式);
Some of them look quite friendly, and you could go up and you could hug them. 有些看起来很友善, 你可以过去抱一下。
Some of them not so friendly, they look like they're straight out of " Terminator ," 有一些就不那么友善, 它们看起来好像从 《魔鬼终结者》里直接走出来,
Terminator:n.终结者;终止子;明暗界限;
in fact they may well be straight out of "Terminator." 事实上它们的确很可能是从 《魔鬼终结者》里出来的。
You can do lots of really cool things with these robots — you can do really exciting stuff . 你可以用这些机器人 做很多很酷的事, 很令人兴奋的事。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
But I'd like to look at different kinds of robots — 但是我想研究不同种类的机器人。
I want to make different kinds of robots. 我想制造不同种的机器人。
And I take inspiration from the things that don't look like us, but look like these. 我的灵感来自跟我们不太像的东西, 反而像这样的东西。
So these are natural biological organisms and they do some really cool things that we can't, and current robots can't either. 这些都是天然的生物体, 它们会做很酷的事,我们做不到的, 而且目前的机器人也做不到。
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体;
They do all sorts of great things like moving around on the floor; they go into our gardens and they eat our crops; they climb trees; they go in water, they come out of water; they trap insects and digest them. 它们会做各种很厉害的事,像在地板上移动; 它们会去花园,吃我们的作物; 它们会爬树; 它们会入水出水; 它们捕捉并消化昆虫。
trap:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;n.陷阱;圈套;捕捉器;诡计; digest:n.摘要;文摘;概要;汇编;v.消化;领会;领悟;理解;
So they do really interesting things. 它们会做很有意思的事情。
They live, they breathe, they die, they eat things from the environment. 它们生存、呼吸、死亡, 它们会吃环境里的东西。
Our current robots don't really do that. 我们现有的机器人不会做这件事。
Now, wouldn't it be great if you could use some of those characteristics in future robots so that you could solve some really interesting problems? 那么,这不是很棒吗? 如果你可以在未来的机器人上 应用这些特点, 不就可以解决某些非常 有意思的难题?
characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
I'm going to look at a couple of problems now in the environment where we can use the skills and the technologies derived from these animals and from the plants, and we can use them to solve those problems. 我要让大家看目前 在环境中的几个难题。 我们可以运用 从这些动植物得到的技巧及科技, 我们可以用来解决这些问题。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); derived:adj.导出的;衍生的,派生的;v.得到;推断(derive的过去分词);由…而来;
Let's have a look at two environmental problems. 我们来看两个环境问题。
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
They're both of our making — this is man interacting with the environment and doing some rather unpleasant things. 两者都是人搞出来的── 这是人跟环境互动 所做出的一些很讨厌的事。
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词) unpleasant:adj.令人不快的;不舒服的;不客气的
The first one is to do with the pressure of population. 第一个问题跟人口压力有关。
Such is the pressure of population around the world that agriculture and farming is required to produce more and more crops. 全世界的人口压力 让农業必须生产更多的作物。
Now, to do that, farmers put more and more chemicals onto the land. 那么,要做到这点, 农夫得施更多化学制品到田里。
chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数)
They put on fertilizers , nitrates , pesticides — all sorts of things that encourage the growth of the crops, but there are some negative impacts . 他们得施肥料、硝酸盐、杀虫剂── 各式各样的东西促进作物成长, 但是这有负面影响。
fertilizers:n.[肥料]肥料(fertilizer的复数形式);化肥;底肥; nitrates:n.硝酸盐(nitrate的复数形式); pesticides:n.[农药]农药;[农药]杀虫剂(pesticide的复数); negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
One of the negative impacts is if you put lots of fertilizer on the land, not all of it goes into the crops. 其中一个负面影响就是, 如果你在田里施很多肥料, 不是所有的肥料都会被作物吸收。
Lots of it stays in the soil, and then when it rains, these chemicals go into the water table . 很多会留在土里, 然后下雨时, 这些化学品就会流进地下水里。
water table:n.地下水位;
And in the water table, then they go into streams,into lakes, into rivers and into the sea. 顺着地下水, 它们会流进小溪、湖泊、河流, 然后进入海洋。
Now, if you put all of these chemicals, these nitrates, into those kinds of environments, there are organisms in those environments that will be affected by that — algae , for example. 如果你把这些化学品,这些硝酸盐, 放进像这样的环境中, 生活在这些环境内的生物 就会受到影响── 譬如藻类。
algae:n.[植]藻类;[植]海藻;
Algae loves nitrates, it loves fertilizer, so it will take in all these chemicals, and if the conditions are right,it will mass produce. 藻类很爱硝酸盐,它喜欢肥料, 所以它会吸收这些化学制品, 在适宜的条件下,它会大量繁殖。
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
It will produce masses and masses of new algae. 它会繁殖出一大团又一大团的新藻类,
masses:n.民众;大量(mass的复数);包块;v.集中;聚集(mass的三单形式);
That's called a bloom . 称为藻华。
bloom:v.盛开;开花;繁殖;繁盛;n.水华;风华正茂;霜;青春;
The trouble is that when algae reproduces like this, it starves the water of oxygen. 麻烦的是当藻类像这样繁殖, 它会耗尽水中的氧。
reproduces:vt.复制;再生;生殖;使…在脑海中重现;vi.复制;繁殖;
As soon as you do that, the other organisms in the water can't survive. 一旦如此, 其它水中生物就无法生存。
As soon as:一…就;
So, what do we do? 那,我们要怎么办?
We try to produce a robot that will eat the algae, consume it and make it safe. 我们试着做出一种 会吃水藻的机器人, 吃光水藻又很安全。
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
So that's the first problem. 所以这是第一个问题。
The second problem is also of our making, and it's to do with oil pollution. 第二个问题也是我们的杰作, 它跟油的汙染有关。
Now, oil comes out of the engines that we use, the boats that we use. 油从我们使用的引擎、 船只中释放出来。
Sometimes tankers flush their oil tanks into the sea, so oil is released into the sea that way. 有时候油轮会把油排放到海洋, 所以油就这样流到海里。
flush:n.激动,洋溢; v.使齐平; adj.大量的; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
Wouldn't it be nice if we could treat that in some way using robots that could eat the pollution the oil fields have produced? 这样不是很好? 如果我们可以想办法用机器人 吃掉油田产生的汙染物?
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
So that's what we do. 所以那就是我们做的。
We make robots that will eat pollution. 我们制造能吃汙染物的机器人。
To actually make the robot, we take inspiration from two organisms. 要实际制造出机器人, 我们从两种生物取得灵感。
On the right there you see the basking shark . 你看到右边的那张是姥鲨。
basking shark:na.姥鲨;
The basking shark is a massive shark. 姥鲨是一种大型鲨鱼。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
It's noncarnivorous, so you can swim with it, as you can see . 牠并非肉食性, 所以你可以跟牠一起游泳, 就像你在这里看到的。
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
And the basking shark opens its mouth, and it swims through the water,collecting plankton . 姥鲨张开嘴巴, 游过水里,收集浮游生物。
plankton:n.浮游生物(总称);
As it does that, it digests the food, and then it uses that energy in its body to keep moving. 这么做的同时,牠消化食物, 然后利用在体内 产生的能量继续活动。
digests:摘要(digest的复数);
So, could we make a robot like that — like the basking shark that chugs through the water and eats up pollution? 所以,我们能不能做像那样的机器人── 像姥鲨一样可以在水中徐徐前进, 然后吃掉汙染物?
chugs:vi.发出轧轧声;发出嘎嚓声;发出轧轧声前进;n.(美)轧轧声;
Well, let's see if we can do that. 嗯,我们来看看能不能做到。
But also, we take the inspiration from other organisms. 我们也从其它生物获取灵感。
I've got a picture here of a water boatman , and the water boatman is really cute. 我这里有一张水椿的照片, 水椿真的很可爱。
boatman:n.船夫;出租船的人;
When it's swimming in the water, it uses its paddle-like legs to push itself forward. 当它游水时, 就用船桨般的腿将自己推向前。
So we take those two organisms and we combine them together to make a new kind of robot. 所以我们取两者所长 结合在一起,做成一种新型机器人。
In fact, because we're using the water boatman as inspiration, and our robot sits on top of the water, and it rows, we call it the "Row-bot." 事实上,因为我们从水椿得到灵感, 而且我们的机器人坐在水上, 它会划行, 我们就叫它「划水机器人」。
So a Row-bot is a robot that rows. 所以划水机器人是会划水的机器人。
OK. So what does it look like? 好,那它长什么样子?
Here's some pictures of the Row-bot, and you'll see, it doesn't look anything like the robots we saw right at the beginning . 这里有一些划水机器人的照片, 你们看, 它一点都不像我们 一开始看到的机器人。
at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始;
Google is wrong; robots don't look like that, they look like this. 所以谷歌错了, 机器人不像那样, 它们像这样。
So I've got the Row-bot here. 我这里有一只划水机器人。
I'll just hold it up for you. 我拿起来给你们看。
It gives you a sense of the scale , and it doesn't look anything like the others. 让你们了解一下它的大小, 而且它跟其它的都不像。
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
OK, so it's made out of plastic, and we'll have a look now at the components that make up the Row-bot — what makes it really special. 好,它是塑胶做的, 现在我们来看一下 划水机器人的组件── 使它特别的地方。
components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数);
The Row-bot is made up of three parts, and those three parts are really like the parts of any organism. 划水机器人由三个部分组成, 这三个部分真的很像任何生物的部分。
made up of:由…组成,由…构成;
It's got a brain, it's got a body and it's got a stomach. 它有个头脑, 它有身体, 而且它有胃。
It needs the stomach to create the energy. 它需要胃以产生能量。
Any Row-bot will have those three components,and any organism will have those three components, so let's go through them one at a time . 任何划水机器人都有这三个组件, 就像任何生物都有这三个部分一样。 我们就一个个来看。
one at a time:每次一个;一次一个;
It has a body, and its body is made out of plastic, and it sits on top of the water. 它有身体, 它的身体由塑胶制成, 而且它可以坐在水面上。
And it's got flippers on the side here — paddles that help it move, just like the water boatman. 它的蹼在旁边这里── 幫助它移动, 就像水椿一样。
flippers:n.脚蹼(flipper的复数);蛙鞋; paddles:n.船桨(paddle的复数);划浆;v.划桨(paddle的三单形式);
It's got a plastic body, but it's got a soft rubber mouth here, it's got two mouths. 它有个塑胶的身体, 而这里有一张软橡胶做的嘴, 它有两张嘴。
rubber:n.橡胶;橡皮;v.涂橡胶于…;
Why does it have two mouths? 会什么要两张嘴?
One is to let the food go in and the other is to let the food go out. 一张让食物进来, 另一张让食物出去。
So you can see really it's got a mouth and a derriere , 所以你们可以看到它有嘴有臀,
derriere:n.臀部;后面;
(Laughter)
something where the stuff comes out, which is just like a real organism. 东西排出去的地方, 就像真的生物一样。
So it's starting to look like that basking shark. 所以它开始看起来像那个姥鲨了。
So that's the body. 这是身体。
The second component might be the stomach. 第二个部分可能是胃。
We need to get the energy into the robot and we need to treat the pollution, so the pollution goes in, and it will do something. 我们必须让要处理污染的 机器人得到能量, 所以汙染从这里进, 它会搞一下。
It's got a cell in the middle here called a microbial fuel cell. 中间这里有个电池, 称作微生物燃料电池。
microbial:adj.微生物的;由细菌引起的;
I'll put this down, and I'll lift up the fuel cell. 我把这个放下来, 把这个燃料电池拿起来。
Here. So instead of having batteries , instead of having a conventional power system, it's got one of these. 这里没有电池, 也不用是传统的电力系统, 它有一个这个。
batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数)
This is its stomach. 这是它的胃。
And it really is a stomach because you can put energy in this side in the form of pollution, and it creates electricity . 它真的是一个胃, 因为你可以把能量放在这边, 以汙染物的形式, 它产生电力。
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
So what is it? 所以这是什么?
It's called a microbial fuel cell. 这称为微生物燃料电池。
It's a little bit like a chemical fuel cell, which you might have come across in school, or you might've seen in the news. 这跟化学燃料电池有点像。 你大概在学校看过, 或者在新闻里看过。
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
Chemical fuel cells take hydrogen and oxygen, and they can combine them together and you get electricity. 化学燃料电池利用氢及氧, 把两者结合你就得到电力。
hydrogen:n.氢;氢气;
That's well-established technology; it was in the Apollo space missions . 这是成熟的技术; 在阿波罗太空计画里就有了。
well-established:adj.得到确认的; v.已确立起来; (well-establish的过去分词); Apollo:n.阿波罗(太阳神);美男子; missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数)
This is slightly newer. 这个比较新。
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
This is a microbial fuel cell. 这是微生物燃料电池。
It's the same principle : it's got oxygen on one side, but instead of having hydrogen on the other, it's got some soup, and inside that soup there are living microbes . 运用同样的原理: 氧气在一边, 但是另一边不是氢气, 而是一种混和液, 在这种混和液中有活的微生物。
principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉; microbes:n.细菌,[微]微生物;微生物类(microbe的复数形式);
Now, if you take some organic material — could be some waste products, some food, maybe a bit of your sandwich — you put it in there, the microbes will eat that food, and they will turn it into electricity. 如果你拿一些有机材料── 可以是某种废料,食物, 或许拿一点你的三明治 ── 你把它放在这里面, 微生物会吃这个食物, 然后把食物转化成电力。
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; sandwich:n.三明治;夹心面包片;
Not only that , but if you select the right kind of microbes, you can use the microbial fuel cell to treat some of the pollution. 不仅如此,如果你选对微生物的种类, 你还可以用微生物燃料电池 处理一些污染。
only that:只是;要不是;
If you choose the right microbes, the microbes will eat the algae. 如果你选对微生物, 微生物会吃藻类。
If you use other kinds of microbes, they will eat petroleum spirits and crude oil. 如果你用其它种微生物, 它们能吃石油醚及原油。
petroleum:n.石油; crude:adj.粗略的;简略的;大概的;粗糙的;n.原油;石油;
So you can see how this stomach could be used to not only treat the pollution but also to generate electricity from the pollution. 所以你们可以看到怎么使用这个胃, 不只处理污染, 还能从污染产生电力。
generate:v.产生;引起;
So the robot will move through the environment, taking food into its stomach, digest the food, create electricity, use that electricity to move through the environment and keep doing this. 所以这个机器人会在环境中移动, 把食物吃进胃里, 消化吃进的食物,产生电力, 再用产生的电在环境中移动, 如此周而复始。
OK, so let's see what happens when we run the Row-bot — when it does some rowing. 好,那我们来看看 划水机器人工作的样子 ── 当它划的时候。
Here we've got a couple of videos, the first thing you'll see — hopefully you can see here is the mouth open. 这里我们有几段影片, 你们看到的第一件事, 希望大家都看得到, 是张开嘴巴。
The front mouth and the bottom mouth open, and it will stay opened enough, then the robot will start to row forward. 前嘴和后嘴都张开, 它会一直张大嘴, 然后机器人会开始向前划。
It moves through the water so that food goes in as the waste products go out. 它在水中移动, 所以食物进去,废物出来。
Once it's moved enough, it stops and then it closes the mouth — slowly closes the mouths — and then it will sit there, and it will digest the food. 当它移动够了, 就会停止,然后闭上嘴巴── 慢慢闭上嘴── 然后坐在那里, 开始消化食物。
Of course these microbial fuel cells, they contain microbes. 当然这些微生物燃料电池 里面有微生物。
What you really want is lots of energy coming out of those microbes as quickly as possible. 你真的想要的是很多能量 从这些微生物得到,愈快愈好。
But we can't force the microbes and they generate a small amount of electricity per second. 但是我们不能强迫微生物, 而且它们每秒产生很少量的电力。
They generate milliwatts , or microwatts . 它们生产毫瓦或微瓦电力。
milliwatts:n.毫瓦特; microwatts:n.微瓦特;
Your mobile phone for example, one of these modern ones, if you use it, it takes about one watt. 譬如说你的手机, 像这种现代一点的, 如果你使用它,它需要一瓦。
mobile phone:移动电话
So that's a thousand or a million times as much energy that that uses compared to the microbial fuel cell. 所以手机使用的能量 是微生物燃料电池的 一千或一百万倍。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
How can we cope with that? 我们怎么应付这个情况?
cope:v.处理;n.大圆衣;
Well, when the Row-bot has done its digestion , when it's taken the food in, it will sit there and it will wait until it has consumed all that food. 嗯,划水机器人消化完食物后, 当它吃了食物, 它会坐在那里, 直到食物都消化完为止。
digestion:n.消化;领悟; consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式)
That could take some hours, it could take some days. 那要花好几个小时,甚至好几天。 划水机器人典型的
A typical cycle for the Row-bot looks like this: you open your mouth, you move, you close your mouth and you sit there for a while waiting. 工作循环周期像这样: 你打开嘴巴, 你移动, 你闭上嘴巴, 然后坐在那里等。
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
Once you digest your food, then you can go about doing the same thing again. 一旦你消化完食物, 就可以起来再继续做相同的事。
But you know what, that looks like a real organism, doesn't it? 但是你知道吗,这看起来 很像真的生物,不是吗?
It looks like the kind of thing we do. 它跟我们做的事很像。
Saturday night,we go out, open our mouths, fill our stomachs, sit in front of the telly and digest. 星期六晚上,我们出门,张嘴, 把胃填满, 坐在电视机前面消化。
telly:n.电视机;电视节目;
When we've had enough,we do the same thing again. 我们觉得够了,又开始做同样的事。
OK, if we're lucky with this cycle, at the end of the cycle we'll have enough energy left over for us to be able to do something else. 好,如果这次循环很幸运, 在循环结束后 我们会有足够的剩余能量, 让我们能做别的事。
We could send a message, for example. 例如,我们可送个简讯。
We could send a message saying, "This is how much pollution I've eaten recently ," 我们可送个简讯说: 「这是我最近吃掉的污染量;」
recently:adv.最近;新近;
or, "This is the kind of stuff that I've encountered ," 或是,「这是我最近碰到的东西;」
encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式)
or, "This is where I am." 或是,「我现在在什么地方。」
That ability to send a message saying, "This is where I am," 能传送简讯说「我现在在什么地方」,
is really, really important. 是非常非常重要的事。
If you think about the oil slicks that we saw before, or those massive algal blooms , what you really want to do is put your Row-bot out there, and it eats up all of those pollutions , and then you have to go collect them. 如果你们想一下 我们以前看到的水面油汙画面, 或非常大片的藻华, 你真正想做的是 把你的划水机器人送到那里, 把汙染物吃光光, 然后你得去把它们收回来。
slicks:n.光头胎,干胎(slick的复数形式); algal:adj.海藻的; blooms:n.花朵(bloom的复数);[生态]水华;v.开花(bloom的三单形式); pollutions:n.污染;污染物;
Why? 为什么?
Because these Row-bots at the moment, this Row-bot I've got here, it contains motors, it contains wires, it contains components which themselves are not biodegradable . 因为眼下这些划水机器人, 和我这里的这只划水机器人, 里面有马达、有线路, 里面有生物不能分解的原件。
biodegradable:adj.生物所能分解的,能进行生物降解的;
Current Row-bots contain things like toxic batteries. 当下的划水机器人里面包含 有毒的电池等东西。
toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的;
You can't leave those in the environment, so you need to track them, and then when they've finished their job of work, you need to collect them. 你不能把这些留在环境中, 所以你必须追踪它们在哪里, 在它们完成工作之后, 你必须收回它们。
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
That limits the number of Row-bots you can use. 这会限制你能使用的 划水机器人数量。
If, on the other hand , you have robot a little bit like a biological organism, when it comes to the end of its life, it dies and it degrades to nothing. 另一方面, 如果你的机器人有一点像生物体, 在生命结束时, 它会死亡且分解无形。
on the other hand:另一方面; degrades:v.降低…身份;侮使受屈辱;(使)退化;分解;降低;(degrade的第三人称单数)
So wouldn't it be nice if these robots, instead of being like this,made out of plastic, were made out of other materials, which when you throw them out there, they biodegrade to nothing? 那不是很好吗?如果这些机器人 不像现在由塑胶制成, 而是用其它的材料, 当你把它们丢在外面, 它们就在那里分解于无形。
biodegrade:vt.生物递降分解;vi.进行生物降解;
That changes the way in which we use robots. 这会改变我们使用机器人的方法。
Instead of putting 10 or 100 out into the environment, having to track them, and then when they die, collect them, you could put a thousand, a million, a billion robots into the environment. 与其放 10 或 100 个 机器人到环境中, 要追踪它们, 而且它们死掉以后, 还要收回来, 你可以放一千个, 一百万个,十亿个这种 机器人到环境中。
Just spread them around. 把它们散到四处。
You know that at the end of their lives, they're going to degrade to nothing. 你知道在它们寿终时 将会分解至无形。
You don't need to worry about them. 你不需要担心它们。
So that changes the way in which you think about robots and the way you deploy them. 那样会改变你对机器人的想法, 以及你派遣它们的方式。
deploy:v.部署;利用;[军事]展开;(使)张开;
Then the question is: Can you do this? 随之而来的问题是:你真的可以做得到吗?
Well, yes, we have shown that you can do this. 是的,我们已经让你看到的确可以。
You can make robots which are biodegradable. 你可以制造可生物分解的机器人。
What's really interesting is you can use household materials to make these biodegradable robots. 真正有意思的是, 你可以用生活常见的材料 来制造这种可生物分解的机器人。
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的;
I'll show you some; you might be surprised. 我给大家看几个; 你们可能会很惊讶。
You can make a robot out of jelly . 你可以用果冻做机器人。
jelly:n.果冻;胶状物;vi.成胶状;vt.使结冻;
Instead of having a motor,which we have at the moment, you can make things called artificial muscles . 代替目前机器人用的马达, 你可以用人工肌肉。
artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的; muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数);
Artificial muscles are smart materials, you apply electricity to them, and they contract ,or they bend or they twist . 人工肌肉是一种智慧型材料, 你把它们接上电, 它们会收缩、弯曲或扭转。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约; twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓;
They look like real muscles. 它们看起来就像真的肌肉。
So instead of having a motor, you have these artificial muscles. 所以与其使用马达, 还不如用人工肌肉。
And you can make artificial muscles out of jelly. 你可以用果冻做人工肌肉。
If you take some jelly and some salts, and do a bit of jiggery-pokery , you can make an artificial muscle. 如果你可以拿果冻加点盐, 然后东搞搞西弄弄, 就可以做出人工肌肉。
jiggery-pokery:n.欺骗;
We've also shown you can make the microbial fuel cell's stomach out of paper. 我们已经让大家看到可以用纸 做微生物燃料电池的胃。
So you could make the whole robot out of biodegradable materials. 因此你可以用生物分解材料 做整个机器人。
You throw them out there, and they degrade to nothing. 你把它们丢出去, 它们将会自己分解。
Well, this is really, really exciting. 这真的超兴奋。
It's going to totally change the way in which we think about robots, but also it allows you to be really creative in the way in which you think about what you can do with these robots. 这会完全改变我们对机器人的想法, 也让你变得非常有创意, 想出很多机器人的用途。
creative:adj.创造性的; in the way:妨碍;挡道;
I'll give you an example. 我举一个例子。
If you can use jelly to make a robot — now, we eat jelly, right? 如果你能用果冻做机器人── 我们都吃果冻对吧?
So, why not make something like this? 那,为什么不用这个 做像这样的东西?
A robot gummy bear. 熊软糖机器人。
gummy:adj.粘性的,胶粘的;含树胶的;肿的(脚踝或腿);拙劣的,讨厌的(俚语);
Here, I've got some I prepared earlier. 这里,我准备了几个。
There we go. I've got a packet — and I've got a lemon-flavored one. 在这里,我有个袋子── 我拿了一个柠檬口味的。
I'll take this gummy bear — he's not robotic , OK? 我拿这个熊软糖── 这不是机器人,好吗?
robotic:adj.机器人的,像机器人的;自动的;n.机器人学;
We have to pretend. 我们要假装一下。
And what you do with one of these is you put it in your mouth — the lemon's quite nice. 你要拿它做什么? 放到你的嘴巴里── 柠檬口味不错。
Try not to chew it too much, it's a robot, it may not like it. 不要嚼太大力,这是机器人, 它可能不喜欢那样。
And then you swallow it. 然后吞下去。
swallow:v.吞下;咽下;吞没;相信;n.吞;咽;燕;一次吞咽的量;
And then it goes into your stomach. 然后它就跑到你的胃里。
And when it's inside your stomach, it moves, it thinks, it twists , it bends, it does something. 它在你的胃里移动、 思考、扭动、弯曲, 做一些事。
twists:n.[力]扭曲,一扭(twist的复数形式);v.[力]扭曲,拧(twist的三单形式);
It could go further down into your intestines , find out whether you've got some ulcer or cancer , maybe do an injection ,something like that. 然后它继续跑到你的肠道, 看看你有没有溃疡或癌症, 或许顺便打个针,诸如此类。
intestines:n.[解剖]肠(intestine的复数);内脏;下水; ulcer:n.[病理]溃疡;腐烂物;道德败坏; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; injection:n.注射;大量资金的投入;(液体的)注入;
You know that once it's done its job of work, it could be consumed by your stomach, or if you don't want that, it could go straight through you, into the toilet, and be degraded safely in the environment. 你知道一旦它做完工作后, 就会被你的胃消化, 如果你不要那样, 它还可以直接通过你, 掉进马桶, 在环境中安全分解。
degraded:adj.退化的; v.分解; (degrade的过去分词和过去式)
So this changes the way, again, in which we think about robots. 所以再说一次, 这会改变我们对机器人的想法。
So, we started off looking at robots that would eat pollution, and then we're looking at robots which we can eat. 我们从可以吃汙染的机器人开始看, 然后我们看到可以吃掉机器人。
I hope this gives you some idea of the kinds of things we can do with future robots. 我希望这能给大家一点灵感, 看看我们能如何使用未来的机器人。
Thank you very much for your attention. 谢谢大家!
(Applause) (掌声)