返回首页

JonRonson_2012-_精神病测试的另类答案_

This story starts: I was at a friend's house, and she had on her shelf a copy of the DSM manual , which is the manual of mental disorders . 故事的开头是这样的:我在一个朋友家里 在她的架子上有一本《DSM手册》 就是《精神疾病诊断与统计手册》
manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; disorders:n.无秩序,混乱; v.[电子]扰乱(disorder的单三形式);
It lists every known mental disorder. 它列举了所有已知的精神疾病
And it used to be, back in the '50s, a very slim pamphlet . 而在50年代的时候,它还是本苗条的小册子
slim:adj.苗条的;纤细的;单薄的;微薄的;n.(非洲用语)艾滋病;v.减肥; pamphlet:n.小册子;
And then it got bigger and bigger and bigger, and now it's 886 pages long. 然后一步一步被增加成大胖子 现在已经有886页厚了
And it lists currently 374 mental disorders. 目前手册列举了374种精神疾病
currently:adv.当前;一般地;
So I was leafing through it, wondering if I had any mental disorders, and it turns out I've got 12. 所以我大致翻阅了一下 好奇我是否有任何精神疾病 结果显示我得了12种
(Laughter) (笑声)
I've got generalized anxiety disorder, which is a given. 我得了广泛性焦虑症 这是与生俱来的
generalized:adj.广义的,普遍的; v.推广(generalize的过去分词); anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事;
I've got nightmare disorder, which is categorized if you have recurrent dreams of being pursued or declared a failure -- and all my dreams involve people chasing me down the street going, "You're a failure." 我还得了梦魇症 这是根据分类得来的 只要你周期性地梦见被追逐或者被宣判失败 而我的梦里都有人在街道上追赶我 向我叫道, 你太失败了
nightmare:n.恶梦;梦魇般的经历;adj.可怕的;噩梦似的; categorized:adj.分类的;v.分类(categorize的过去式); recurrent:adj.复发的;周期性的,经常发生的; pursued:v.追击,追踪;继续从事(pursue的过去分词形式); involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I've got parent-child relational problems, which I blame my parents for. 我还有亲子关系问题 这得归咎于我父母
relational:adj.相关的;亲属的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I'm kidding. I'm not kidding. 我开玩笑的,我还真没开玩笑
I'm kidding. 好吧,开玩笑的
And I've got malingering . 我还得了诈病症
malingering:n.装病;v.装病(malinger的ing形式);adj.装病的;
And I think it's actually quite rare to have both malingering and generalized anxiety disorder, because malingering tends to make me feel very anxious. 我觉得同时拥有诈病症和广泛性焦虑症 这并不是很常见 因为诈病症会让我觉得非常焦虑
Anyway I was looking through this book, wondering if I was much crazier than I thought I was, or maybe it's not a good idea to diagnose yourself with a mental disorder if you're not a trained professional , 总之我浏览了这本书 惊讶我比我想象中还要不正常 又或许给自己诊断精神病并不是一个很好的想法 如果你不是一个受过培训的专家
diagnose:vt.诊断;断定;vi.诊断;判断; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
or maybe the psychiatry profession has a strange desire to label what's essentially normal human behavior as a mental disorder. 又或许精神病学专家有一种怪癖 想要将正常的人类行为定义为精神疾病
psychiatry:n.精神病学;精神病治疗法; label:n.标签;标记;谓;唱片公司;v.贴标签于;用标签标明; essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
I didn't know which of these things was true, but I thought it was kind of interesting. 我不知道这哪些是真的 但我觉得还蛮有趣的
And I thought maybe I should meet a critic of psychiatry to get their view. 然后我想我应该和一个精神病学评论家见一面 看看他有什么想法
critic:n.评论家;反对者;批评者;
Which is how I ended up having lunch with the Scientologists. 所以我就和一个科学论派学者共进午餐
It was a man called Brian who runs a crack team of Scientologists who are determined to destroy psychiatry wherever it lies. 他叫Brian 他管理着一个一流的科学论派团队 同时也下定决心捣毁所有的精神医学
crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
They're called the CCHR. 他们被称为公民人权委员会(CCHR)
And I said to him, "Can you prove to me that psychiatry is a pseudo-science that can't be trusted?" 我就跟他说, 你能向我证明 精神医学是一门不值得信任的伪科学吗?”
pseudo-science:伪科学;
And he said, "Yes, we can prove it to you." 然后他说,“可以,我证明给你看。”
And I said, "How?" 我又问,“怎么证明?”
And he said, "We're going to introduce you to Tony." 他说,“我打算介绍Tony给你认识。”
And I said, "Who's Tony?" 我问,“谁是Tony?
And he said, "Tony's in Broadmoor ." 他说,“Tony现在在布罗德莫。”
Broadmoor:n.布罗德穆尔医院(位于英格兰南部,专门收治十分危险的精神病犯人);
Now Broadmoor is Broadmoor Hospital. 布罗德莫,就是布罗德莫精神病院
It used to be known as the Broadmoor Asylum for the Criminally Insane . 过去被称为精神病犯人的庇护所
Asylum:n.庇护;收容所,救济院; Criminally:adv.刑法上;犯了罪地,有罪地; Insane:adj.疯狂的;精神病的;极愚蠢的;
It's where they send the serial killers and the people who can't help themselves. 连环杀手就是被送到那里的 还有那些无法自控的人
serial:adj.顺序排列的; n.电视连续剧;
And I said to Brian, "What did Tony do?" 我又问Brian,“Tony干过什么事?”
And he said, "Hardly anything. 他说,“基本什么也没干
He beat someone up or something, and he decided to fake madness to get out of a prison sentence. 他好像打了人还是其他什么事 然后他决定装疯以此逃过牢狱之灾
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
But he faked it too well, and now he's stuck in Broadmoor and nobody will believe he's sane. 但他装得太像了,现在就在那里出不来了 但没人相信他是正常的
faked:v.伪造;冒充;假装,佯装,装出;(fake的过去分词和过去式)
Do you want us to try and get you into Broadmoor to meet Tony?" 你想让我们把你弄进去和Tony见面吗?”
So I said, "Yes, please." 然后我说,“嗯,劳烦你了。”
So I got the train to Broadmoor. 所以我踏上了前往布罗德莫精神病院的列车
I began to yawn uncontrollably around Kempton Park, which apparently is what dogs also do when anxious -- they yawn uncontrollably. 我开始控制不住在坎普顿公园附近打哈欠 显然,当狗在焦虑的时候 也会情不自禁地打哈欠
yawn:v.打哈欠;非常宽;难以逾越;n.呵欠;无聊的人或事;无趣的想法; uncontrollably:adv.控制不住地; apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
And we got to Broadmoor. 之后就到了布罗德莫精神病院
And I got taken through gate after gate after gate after gate into the wellness center, which is where you get to meet the patients . 然后我又不停地穿过一道又一道又一道的大门 这才进到健康中心那儿 在那里你才能和病人会面
wellness:n.健康; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
It looks like a giant Hampton Inn . 它看起来就像大型的汉普顿酒店
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 Inn:n.客栈;(通常指乡村的,常可夜宿的)小酒店;v.住旅馆;
It's all peach and pine and calming colors. 到处都是桃子菠萝和让人宁静的颜色
pine:n.松木;松树;vi.难过,悲伤
And the only bold colors are the reds of the panic buttons. 唯一比较大胆的颜色则是应急按钮上的红色
bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措;
And the patients started drifting in. 然后病人开始挪进来
drifting:v.漂流;漂移;缓慢行走;顺其自然地做;(drift的现在分词)
And they were quite overweight and wearing sweatpants and quite docile looking. 他们看起来很笨重,穿着宽松的裤子 倒是挺温顺的样子
overweight:adj.超重的;过重的;vt.使负担过重;n.超重; sweatpants:n.(美)宽松长运动裤; docile:adj.温顺的,驯服的;容易教的;
And Brian the Scientologist whispered to me, "They're medicated ," 科学论派学者Brian低声跟我说 他们这是服药后的效果
medicated:adj.药物的,含药的;v.给…用药;用药物治疗;(medicate的过去分词和过去式)
which to the Scientologists is like the worst evil in the world, but I'm thinking it's probably a good idea. 对于科学论派的人来说,这简直就是最残忍的魔鬼 我倒不觉得是件坏事
evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And then Brian said, "Here's Tony." 然后Brian说,“Tony来了。”
And a man was walking in. 然后有个男人走了进来
And he wasn't overweight, he was in very good physical shape. 他看起来并不笨重,身材还挺不错
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
And he wasn't wearing sweatpants, he was wearing a pinstriped suit. 也没有穿宽松的裤子 他穿着带有细条纹的西服
pinstriped:adj.细直条纹的;
And he had his arm outstretched like someone out of The Apprentice . 他张开双臂 像《飞黄腾达》里的人一样
outstretched:adj.伸展的; v.拉(伸)长; (outstretch的过去式和过去分词) Apprentice:n.学徒;生手;vt.使…当学徒;vi.当学徒;
He looked like a man who wanted to wear an outfit that would convince me that he was very sane. 他看起来像是想在着装方面显得得体的人 这样似乎会让我相信他是正常人
outfit:n.全套服装;团队;小组;分队;v.装备;配置设备;供给服装; convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
And he sat down. 然后他坐下来
And I said, "So is it true that you faked your way in here?" 我说,“你是在这里装疯的对吧?”
And he said, "Yep. Yep. Absolutely . I beat someone up when I was 17. 他说,“对,绝对是。我在17岁的时候把别人打伤了
Absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
And I was in prison awaiting trial, and my cellmate said to me, 'You know what you have to do? 之后在监狱里等待审判 我的狱友跟我说 你知道你得做些什么吗
awaiting:v.等候;等待;期待;将发生在,将降临到(某人头上);(await的现在分词) cellmate:n.同牢房的人;
Fake madness. 装疯
Tell them you're mad. You'll get sent to some cushy hospital. 告诉他们你疯了,你就会被送到某间舒适的医院
cushy:adj.轻松的;容易的;轻松又容易赚钱的;
Nurses will bring you pizzas. 护士会给你带来比萨饼
You'll have your own Playstation .'" 你会有自己的PS游戏机。”
Playstation:n.游戏机;
So I said, "Well how did you do it?" 我又说,“那你是怎么做的?”
He said, "I asked to see the prison psychiatrist . 他说,“我要求去见监狱里的精神病专家
psychiatrist:n.精神病学家,精神病医生;
And I'd just seen a film called 'Crash' in which people get sexual pleasure from crashing cars into walls. 而且我又看过《冲击效应》这部电影 电影里的人用车去撞墙以获得性快感
sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的;
So I said to the psychiatrist, 'I get sexual pleasure from crashing cars into walls.'" 所以我跟精神病专家说 我通过开车撞墙活得性快感。”
And I said, "What else?" 我说,“还有吗?”
He said, "Oh, yeah. I told the psychiatrist that I wanted to watch women as they died because it would make me feel more normal." 他说,“哦对了,我告诉那个精神病专家 我喜欢看女人死去 因为这让我觉得我比较正常。”
And I said, "Where'd you get that from?" 我说,“你这是从哪学来的?”
He said, "Oh, from a biography of Ted Bundy that they had at the prison library." 他说,“哦,从Ted Bundy(连环杀手)的自传 监狱图书馆里有这本书。”
biography:n.传记;档案;个人简介;
Anyway he faked madness too well, he said. 总之,他说他装得太像了
And they didn't send him to some cushy hospital. 结果他们没把他送到某间舒适的医院
They sent him to Broadmoor. 反而送到了布罗德莫精神病院
And the minute he got there, he said he took one look at the place, asked to see the psychiatrist, said, "There's been a terrible misunderstanding . 他到这里的那一刻 他说他看了下四周的环境,然后要求去见精神病医生 说,“这当中有着难以解释的误会
misunderstanding:n.误解;误会;意见不一;v.误解;误会(misunderstand的现在分词)
I'm not mentally ill." 我并没有任何精神疾病。”
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
I said, "How long have you been here for?" 我问,“你在这待了多长时间了?”
He said, "Well, if I'd just done my time in prison for the original crime, 他说,“唉,如果我只在狱中服刑的话
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
I'd have got five years. 我只要待五年
I've been in Broadmoor for 12 years." 但我在布罗德莫精神病院已经12年了。”
Tony said that it's a lot harder to convince people you're sane than it is to convince them you're crazy. Tony说,要使别人相信你是正常人是十分困难的 而使别人相信你疯了则简单得多
He said, "I thought the best way to seem normal would be to talk to people normally about normal things like football or what's on TV. 他说,“要显得正常,我觉得最好的方法 就是和他人正常地交谈,聊一聊正常的事物 像足球或电视上的事情
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地;
I subscribe to New Scientist, and recently it had an article about how the U.S. Army was training bumblebees to sniff out explosives . 我有订阅《新科学家》这份杂志 最近他们发表了一篇文章 关于美国军队训练大黄蜂来侦查爆炸物的
subscribe:vi.订阅;捐款;认购;赞成;签署;vt.签署;赞成;捐助; recently:adv.最近;新近; bumblebees:n.[昆]大黄蜂; sniff:v.嗅;闻;用力吸;发觉;n.吸,闻;气味;以鼻吸气; explosives:n.爆炸物,[化工]炸药;爆炸品(explosive的复数);
So I said to a nurse, 'Did you know that the U.S. army is training bumblebees to sniff out explosives?' 然后我跟护士说 你知道美国军队正在训练大黄蜂 来侦查爆炸物吗
When I read my medical notes, 当我看到我的医疗记录时
I saw they'd written: 'Believes bees can sniff out explosives.'" 我看到他们写到 “相信蜜蜂能侦查爆炸物”
He said, "You know, they're always looking out for non-verbal clues to my mental state. 他说,“你知道,他们总是在寻找 非言语的线索来判断我的心理状态
non-verbal:adj.非语言的;非用言语的; clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数)
But how do you sit in a sane way? 但你是如何用正常人的方式坐的?
How do you cross your legs in a sane way? 你又如何用正常人的方式翘脚的?
It's just impossible." 这简直就是天荒夜谈。”
And when Tony said that to me, 当Tony告诉我这些的时候
I thought to myself, "Am I sitting like a journalist ? 我心想,“我坐得像个记者吗
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
Am I crossing my legs like a journalist?" 我翘脚翘得像个记者吗?”
He said, "You know, I've got the Stockwell Strangler on one side of me and I've got the 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' rapist on the other side of me. 他说,“我的邻居一边住着斯托克威尔扼杀者案的凶手 另一边住着整天哼唱着踮起脚尖穿过郁金香花丛的强奸犯
Strangler:n.压制者;扼杀者;阻气门; rapist:n.强奸犯;强奸者; on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
So I tend to stay in my room a lot because I find them quite frightening . 因为他们其实挺可怕的,所以我大部分时间是在自己房间的
frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词)
And they take that as a sign of madness. 但他们将此当作发疯的征兆
They say it proves that I'm aloof and grandiose ." 他们说这表明我冷漠并浮夸。”
aloof:adj.冷淡的;远离的;冷漠的;adv.远离;避开地; grandiose:adj.宏伟的;堂皇的;浮夸的;宏大的;
So only in Broadmoor would not wanting to hang out with serial killers be a sign of madness. 所以只有在这里,不想和连环杀手交往 才是发疯的征兆
hang out with:与…出去玩;与…闲逛;
Anyway he seemed completely normal to me -- but what did I know? 总之他对我来说完全正常——但我又知道些什么呢
And when I got home I emailed his clinician , Anthony Maden. 当我回到家时我给他的临床医生Anthony Maden发了电邮
clinician:n.临床医生;
I said, "What's the story?" 我问,“这里面有什么故事吗?”
However, we have assessed him. 但是,我们对他进行了测试
assessed:v.对…进行评估(assess过去时形式);
And we have determined that what he is is a psychopath ." 所以我们才决定把他诊断为精神病患者
psychopath:n.精神病患者;
And in fact, faking madness is exactly the kind of cunning and manipulative act of a psychopath. 事实上,装疯 正是一种精神病患者狡猾和控制欲强的表现行为
faking:v.伪造;冒充;假装,佯装,装出;(fake的现在分词) cunning:adj.狡猾的;巧妙的;可爱的;n.狡猾; manipulative:adj.巧妙处理的;操纵的,用手控制的;
It's on the checklist : cunning and manipulative. 它就写在检核表上:狡猾且控制欲强
checklist:n.清单;检查表;备忘录;目录册;
So faking your brain going wrong is evidence that your brain has gone wrong. 所以假装大脑出了问题 就是你大脑真的出问题的证据
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
And I spoke to other experts, and they said the pinstriped suit -- classic psychopath. 然后我又跟其他专家交流了 他们说带条纹的西服——典型的精神病患者
classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
Speaks to items one and two on the checklist -- glibness , superficial charm and grandiose sense of self-worth . 证明了检核表上的第一和第二项—— 口若悬河,迷人外表和自恋的浮夸感
items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数) glibness:n.花言巧语;口若悬河; superficial:adj.表面的;肤浅的;表面文章的;外表的;(人)浅薄的; charm:n.魅力;咒语;吸引力;魔力;v.迷住;吸引;保护; self-worth:n.自我价值;自尊;自负;
And I said, "Well, what, he didn't want to hang out with the other patients?" 我又说,“好吧,那他不想和其他病人来往又怎么说呢?”
Classic psychopath -- it speaks to grandiosity and also lack of empathy . 典型精神病患者——这证明了浮夸和缺乏同理心
grandiosity:n.宏伟;夸张; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
So all the things that had seemed most normal about Tony was evidence, according to his clinician, that he was mad in this new way. 所以那些对于Tony来说都是十分正常的事 都是病证,根据他的医生的说法 这是一种新型的发疯
according to:根据,据说;
He was a psychopath. 他就是个精神病患者
And his clinician said to me, "If you want to know more about psychopaths , you can go on a psychopath spotting course run by Robert Hare who invented the psychopath checklist." 然后他的医生又跟我说 “如果你想多一些了解精神病患者 你可以去参加“观察精神病患者课程” 是由发明“病态人格检核表”的Robert Hare授课的
psychopaths:n.心理病态性格;精神病者(psychopath的复数); Hare:n.野兔;
So I did. 我还真参加了
I went on a psychopath spotting course, and I am now a certified -- and I have to say, extremely adept -- psychopath spotter . 我报名参加了“观察精神病患者课程” 现在我是一名持证的 不得不说,还挺资深的 精神病患者观察员
certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; adept:adj.熟练的;擅长…的;n.内行;能手; spotter:n.着弹点观察员;监视人;测位仪;检路器;
So here's the statistics : 这有些数据:
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
One in a hundred regular people is a psychopath. 100个普通正常人当中就有一个精神病患者
So there's 1,500 people in his room. 而这个大厅里有1500人
Fifteen of you are psychopaths. 所以当中有15个人是精神病患者
Although that figure rises to four percent of CEO's and business leaders. 并且这个比例会在CEO和商业领导者中 上升到4%
So I think there's a very good chance there's about 30 or 40 psychopaths in this room. 所以我觉得这是非常难得的机会 在这个大厅里约有30到40名精神病患者
It could be carnage by the end of the night. 可能在今晚结束的时候会有大屠杀
carnage:n.大屠杀;残杀;大量绝灭;
(Laughter) (Laughs) (笑声)
Hare said the reason why is because capitalism at its most ruthless rewards psychopathic behavior -- the lack of empathy, the glibness, cunning, manipulative. Hare解释说原因来自资本主义的冷酷无情 造就了精神疾病的行为 缺乏同理心,口若悬河 狡猾,控制欲强
capitalism:n.资本主义; ruthless:adj.无情的,残忍的; rewards:n.[劳经]奖励; v.[劳经]奖赏; psychopathic:adj.精神病的;精神错乱的;n.精神变态者;
In fact, capitalism, perhaps at its most remorseless , is a physical manifestation of psychopathy . 事实上,或许冷酷无情的资本主义 正是精神疾病的物质表现
remorseless:adj.冷酷的;不知过错的;坚持不懈的;不屈不挠的; manifestation:n.表现;显示;示威运动; psychopathy:n.精神变态,精神病;
It's like a form of psychopathy that's come down to affect us all. 这也是精神疾病的一种形式 归根到底会影响着我们
And Hare said to me, "You know what? Forget about some guy at Broadmoor who may or may not have faked madness. Hare还跟我说,“你知道吗?别再想布罗德莫精神病院里 哪个可能装疯,哪个是真疯
Who cares? That's not a big story. 谁在乎呢?那并不重要,
The big story," he said, "is corporate psychopathy. 重要的是,”他接着说,“是企业型变态人格
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的;
You want to go and interview yourself some corporate psychopaths." 你可以亲自去采访一些*企业里的精神病患者*。”
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
So I gave it a try. I wrote to the Enron people. 所以我就试了下。我给安然公司(Enron)写了信
I said, "Could I come and interview you in prison to find out it you're psychopaths?" 我说,“我能来你们这并在狱中采访下你们 看看你们是不是精神病患者吗?”
And they didn't reply. 之后就杳无音讯了
So I changed tack . 所以我换了另一种方式
tack:n.方针;方法;大头钉;v.抢风行驶;钉住;
I emailed " Chainsaw Al" Dunlap, the asset stripper from the 1990s. 我电邮了“杀手艾尔”Dunlap 90年代开始的资产掠夺者
Chainsaw:vt.肢解,用链锯割; asset:n.资产;优点;有用的东西;有利条件;财产;有价值的人或物; stripper:n.脱衣舞女;剥离器;脱模机;
He would come into failing businesses and close down 30 percent of the workforce , just turn American towns into ghost towns. 他能让企业倒闭并失去30%的劳动力 他能将美国的城镇变成荒凉之地
close down:关闭;停止播音; workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工; ghost:n.鬼,幽灵;v.作祟于;替…捉刀;为人代笔;
And I emailed him and I said, "I believe you may have a very special brain anomaly that makes you special and interested in the predatory spirit and fearless . 所以我给他发了电邮说道 “我相信您有一颗独特异常的大脑 使您变得如此出众 您崇尚掠夺精神并且无所畏惧
anomaly:n.异常;不规则;反常事物; predatory:adj.掠夺的,掠夺成性的;食肉的;捕食生物的; fearless:adj.无畏的;大胆的;
Can I come and interview you about your special brain anomaly?" 那我能采访下您 关于你那颗特别独特的大脑吗?”
And he said, "Come on over." 然后他说,“过来吧。”
So I went to Al Dunlap's grand Florida mansion that was filled with sculptures of predatory animals. 所以我去了他佛罗里达的大豪宅 到处都是食肉动物的雕塑
mansion:n.大厦;宅邸; sculptures:n.[建]雕塑(sculpture的复数); v.雕刻;
There were lions and tigers. 还有狮子和老虎
He was taking me through the garden. 他带着我穿过花园
There were falcons and eagles. 那儿有猎鹰和老鹰
falcons:n.[鸟]猎鹰;隼鹰队;猎鹰导弹(falcon的复数形式);
He was saying to me, "Over there you've got sharks." 他跟我说,“在那儿你能看到鲨鱼。”
He was saying this in a less effeminate way. 他说这话的语气还挺霸气的
effeminate:adj.柔弱的; n.女子气的男人; vt.使柔弱; vi.变得无男子汉气概;
'"You've got more sharks and you've got tigers." “你还会看到更多的鲨鱼和老虎”
It was like Narnia . 那里就像纳尼亚王国
Narnia:纳尼亚传奇(电影名);
(Laughter) (笑声)
And then we went into his kitchen. 之后我们来到他的厨房
Now Al Dunlap would be brought in to save failing companies. 现在Al Dunlap会被聘请去拯救那些濒临破产的公司
He'd close down 30 percent of the workforce. 他会将劳动力减少30%
And he'd quite often fire people with a joke. 他经常会用开玩笑的口吻炒别人鱿鱼
For instance , one famous story about him, somebody came up to him and said, "I've just bought myself a new car." 举个例子,一个关于他的经典传闻 有人找到他,跟他说,“我刚给自己买了新车。”
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
And he said, "You may have a new car, but I'll tell you what you don't have, a job." 他说,“你或许有了一辆新车, 但我告诉你,你没有的,是一份工作。”
So in his kitchen -- he was standing there with his wife, Judy, and his bodyguard Sean -- and I said, "You know how I said in my email that you might have a special brain anomaly that makes you special?" 话说在厨房——他正和妻子Judy站在一起 还有他的保镖Sean,然后我会说,“你记得我在电邮里写的 关于你有一颗让你出众的独特奇异的大脑吗?”
bodyguard:n.保镖;v.护送;
He said, "Yeah, it's an amazing theory. 他说,“记得,这说法还真不赖
It's like Star Trek . You're going where no man has gone before." 感觉就像《星际迷航》一样。现在还没人做到像你这样。”
Trek:v.长途跋涉;远足,徒步旅行;n.长途跋涉(尤指在山区);
And I said, "Well, some psychologists might say that this makes you ... " (Mumbles) 然后我又说,“其实,一些心理学家或许会说 这颗大脑让你变成...”( 喃喃而语)
psychologists:n.[心理]心理学家(psychologist的复数形式);
(Laughter) (笑声)
And he said, "What?" 他紧接着问,“啥?”
And I said, "A psychopath." 我说,“一个疯子。”
And I said, "I've got a list of psychopathic traits in my pocket. 我接着说,“我口袋里有张清单列举了些精神病患特征
traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数);
Can I go through them with you?" 我能和你将这些过一遍吗?”
And he looked intrigued despite himself, and he said, "Okay, go on." 尽管他自己看起来很迷惑 但他还是说,“行,继续。”
intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词) despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
And I said, "Okay. Grandiose sense of self-worth." 我说,“那开始吧。自我价值的浮夸感。”
Which, I have to say, would have been hard for him to deny because he was standing underneath a giant oil painting of himself. 就这个,我得说,他还挺难去否认的 因为他就站在一幅巨大的油画自画像下面
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的; oil painting:油画;油画艺术;
(Laughter) (笑声)
He said, "Well, you've got to believe in you!" 他说,“好吧,你总要相信自己对吧!”
And I said, "Manipulative." 我又接着,“控制欲强。”
He said, "That's leadership." 他说,“这叫领导能力。”
And I said, "Shallow affect: an inability to experience a range of emotions ." 我接着,“淡化影响: 无法承受一系列的情绪波动
inability:n.无能力;无才能; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
He said, "Who wants to be weighed down by some nonsense emotions?" 他说,“谁又想被无意义的情绪波动给压倒呢?”
nonsense:n.胡说;废话;adj.荒谬的;int.胡说;
So he was going down the psychopathic checklist, basically turning it into "Who Moved My Cheese?" 接着他过了一遍精神病检核表 基本和《谁动了我的奶酪》里面一样(为自己辩解)
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But I did notice something happening to me the day I was with Al Dunlap. 但我确实觉察到和Al Dunlap在一起的那天发生的一些事
Whenever he said anything to me that was kind of normal -- like he said no to juvenile delinquency . 无论他说什么,我听起来都觉得挺正常的 就像他反对少年违法犯罪一样
juvenile:adj.青少年的;幼稚的;n.青少年;少年读物; delinquency:n.行为不良,违法犯罪;失职,怠工;
He said he got accepted into West Point, and they don't let delinquents in West Point. 他说他被西点军校(West Point)录取了 在西点军校是不允许有过失的
delinquents:n.流氓;少年罪犯;失职者;(delinquent的复数)
He said no to many short-term marital relationships. 他反对很多短期的婚姻关系
short-term:adj.短期的; marital:adj.婚姻的;夫妇间的;
He's only ever been married twice. 他只结过两次婚
Admittedly , his first wife cited in her divorce papers that he once threatened her with a knife and said he always wondered what human flesh tasted like, 无可否认,他第一任妻子是在他拿刀威胁下 才在离婚协议上签字的 他妻子说他一直很好奇人肉尝起来是怎样的
Admittedly:adv.公认地;无可否认地;明白地; cited:v.提及(原因);举出(示例);列举;引用;传讯;(cite的过去分词和过去式) divorce:n.离婚;分离;v.与某人离婚;使分离; flesh:n.肉;肉体;v.喂肉给…;发胖;
but people say stupid things to each other in bad marriages in the heat of an argument and his second marriage has lasted 41 years. 但人们总会在失败的婚姻争吵中说些傻话 而他的第二段婚姻持续了41年
So whenever he said anything to me that just seemed kind of non-psychopathic, 所以无论他说什么,我听起来都不觉得他有精神病
I thought to myself, well I'm not going to put that in my book. 我心想,好吧,我不打算把这些写进书里
And then I realized that becoming a psychopath spotter had turned me a little bit psychopathic. 但之后我意识到成为一个精神病患观察员 倒是让我变得有点神神颠颠的
Because I was desperate to shove him in a box marked psychopath. 因为我拼命想证明他是神经病患者
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的; shove:v.猛推;乱挤;推撞;乱放;n.猛推;
I was desperate to define him by his maddest edges. 我拼命想用他最疯狂的举动来判定
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
And I realized, oh my God. This is what I've been doing for 20 years. 突然我意识到,天啊,我干这都干了20年了
It's what all journalists do. 记者就都是做这些啊
journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
We travel across the world with our notepads in our hands, and we wait for the gems . 我们带着笔记本走遍世界 等待着劲爆的料子
notepads:注释板(notepad的复数); gems:n.[宝]宝石(gem的复数形式);
And the gems are always the outermost aspects of our interviewee's personality . 而所谓的料子却总是那些和被采访人的人格 相差得十万八千里的花边
outermost:adj.最外面的;最远的; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数); personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色;
And we stitch them together like medieval monks. 我们像中世纪僧侣(文化智慧的象征)将他们联系起来
stitch:n.针脚,线迹;一针;vt.缝,缝合;vi.缝,缝合; medieval:adj.中世纪的;原始的;仿中世纪的;老式的;
And we leave the normal stuff on the floor. 却把那些正常的方面抛掷脑外
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And this is a country that over-diagnoses certain mental disorders hugely. 而这正是一个大量过度诊断精神疾病的国家
Childhood bipolar -- children as young as four are being labeled bipolar because they have temper tantrums , which scores them high on their bipolar checklist. 儿童双相障碍症——约4岁的儿童 被诊断为双相障碍症 因为他们脾气暴躁 这在双相障碍症的检核表上位居榜首
Childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 bipolar:adj.有两极的,双极的; labeled:adj.有标签的; v.示踪; (label的过去分词和过去式) temper:n.脾气;情绪;心情;性情;v.使缓和;使温和;使(金属)回火; tantrums:n.发脾气;发怒;
When I got back to London, Tony phoned me. 当我回到伦敦时,Tony给我打了电话
He said, "Why haven't you been returning my calls?" 他说,“你为什么还没给我回电?”
I said, "Well they say that you're a psychopath." 我说,“因为他们说你确实有精神病。”
And he said, "I'm not a psychopath." 他说,“我没精神病。”
He said, "You know what, one of the items on the checklist is lack of remorse, but another item on the checklist is cunning, manipulative. 他说,“你知道吗,检核表上有一项是缺乏懊悔 但另一项却是狡猾,且控制欲强
So when you say you feel remorse for your crime, they say, 'Typical of the psychopath to cunningly say he feels remorse when he doesn't.' 所以当你说你对犯罪感到懊悔时 他们会说,典型的精神病患者 狡猾地欺骗说他感到懊悔,其实不然
cunningly:adv.巧妙地,狡猾地;
It's like witchcraft . They turn everything upside-down ." 这就像巫术,他们完全颠覆了一切。”
witchcraft:n.巫术;魔法; upside-down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的;
He said, "I've got a tribunal coming up. 他说,“我接下来有个裁决
tribunal:n.法庭;裁决;法官席;
Will you come to it?" 你要来吗?”
So I said okay. 然后我答应了
So I went to his tribunal. 之后我去了那个裁决
And after 14 years in Broadmoor, they let him go. 在布罗德莫精神病院住了14年后,他们总算让他离开了
They decided that he shouldn't be held indefinitely because he scores high on a checklist that might mean that he would have a greater than average chance of recidivism . 他们决定说他不应该被无限期拘留 因为他在检核表上分数很高 这意味着他再犯的几率要比平均数还高
indefinitely:adv.不确定地,无限期地;模糊地,不明确地; recidivism:n.再犯,累犯;
So they let him go. 所以他们让他离开了
And outside in the corridor he said to me, "You know what, Jon? 就在外面的走廊他跟我说 “Jon,你知道吗
corridor:n.通道;过道;走廊(一国领土通过他国境内的狭长地带);
Everyone's a bit psychopathic." 每个人多少都有精神病。”
He said, "You are. I am. Well obviously I am." 他说,“你有,我有,显然我是有的。”
I said, "What are you going to do now?" 我说,“那你现在准备干什么呢?”
He said, "I'm going to go to Belgium because there's a woman there that I fancy . 他说,“我打算去比利时 因为那里有个我喜欢的女人
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
But she's married, so I'm going to have to get her split up from her husband." 但她结婚了,所以我准备去让她和她丈夫离婚。”
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Anyway, that was two years ago, and that's where my book ended. 总之,那是两年前的事了 也是我书的最后情节
And for the last 20 months everything was fine. 过去的20个月,一切正常
Nothing bad happened. 安然无恙
He was living with a girl outside London. 他和一个女孩住在伦敦以外
He was, according to Brian the Scientologist, making up for lost time -- which I know sounds ominous , but isn't necessarily ominous. 按照科学论派学者Brian的说法 他在弥补失去的时间——我知道这听起来不是好兆头 不过也说不定
ominous:adj.预兆的;不吉利的; necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
Unfortunately , after 20 months, he did go back to jail for a month. 20个月后,很可惜 他又回到监狱里待了一个月
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
He got into a fracas in a bar, he called it -- ended up going to jail for a month, which I know is bad, but at least a month implies that whatever the fracas was, it wasn't too bad. 他在酒吧里和别人发生争吵,他是这样说的 所以在监狱里待了一个月 我知道这并不好 但至少一个月的刑期,说明不管是什么争吵 后果应该不算严重
fracas:n.吵闹;喧噪; implies:v.意味着(imply的第三人称单数);蕴含;暗指;
And then he phoned me. 然后他打电话给我
And you know what, I think it's right that Tony is out. 知道吗,我觉得Tony出来是对的
Because you shouldn't define people by their maddest edges. 因为你不能单靠人的疯狂举止就去判定他们
And what Tony is, is he's a semi-psychopath. 那Tony算什么呢,算半个疯子吧
He's a gray area in a world that doesn't like gray areas. 他处在世界上一个不像灰色地带的灰色地带
But the gray areas are where you find the complexity , it's where you find the humanity and it's where you find the truth. 这个灰色地带是复杂和纠结的聚集地 在这你能看到人道 也能看到真相
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
And Tony said to me, "Jon, could I buy you a drink in a bar? Tony跟我说 “Jon,我能请你去酒吧喝一杯吗?
I just want to thank you for everything you've done for me." 我想谢谢你为我所做的一切。”
And I didn't go. What would you have done? 但我没去。换做你,你会去吗?
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)