|
|
JonNguyen_2011X-_在家中环游太阳系_
|
As a kid, I was fascinated with all things air and space. |
我还是孩子的时候,就着迷于航空航天的一切。 |
I would watch Nova on PBS. |
我会看PBS电视台的太空节目Nova。 |
Nova:n.新星(短期内突然变得很亮);
|
Our school would show Bill Nye the Science Guy. |
我们学校也会放科教节目Bill Nye the Science Guy。 |
When I was in elementary school , my next door neighbor, he gave me a book for my birthday. |
我在读小学的时候,我的隔壁邻居 在我过生日的时候送了我一本书 |
elementary school:小学;
|
It was an astronomy book, and I poured over that thing for hours on end, and it was a combination of all these things that inspired me to pursue space exploration |
这是一本天文学的书, 接下来的数小时我都沉迷于此书之中 这本书里讲了许许多多的事 都激励了我要投身于宇宙的探索 |
astronomy:n.天文学; poured:v.使(液体)连续流出;倾倒;倒出;喷发;(pour的过去分词和过去式) combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术;
|
as my own personal dream, and part of that dream was, |
并将它作为我的人生理想,这个理想中就包括了 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
I always wanted to just fly around the solar system and visit different planets and visit moons and spacecraft . |
我想要在太阳系里遨游 乘着太空船,造访各大行星、卫星 |
solar system:[天]太阳系; spacecraft:n.[宇]宇宙飞船;航天器;
|
Well, a number of years later, I graduated from UCLA and I found myself at NASA, working for the jet propulsion laboratory , and there our team was challenged to create a 3D visualization of the solar system, and today I want to show you what we've done so far. |
许多年过去之后,我从加州大学洛杉矶分校毕业了 然后开始为美国国家航空航天局NASA做事 在其喷气推进实验室工作 在那,我所在的团队接受了一项挑战 那就是制作太阳系的三维可视化模型 今天,我想向大家展示目前我们的成果 |
jet propulsion:n.喷气推进; laboratory:n.实验室,研究室; visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心;
|
Now, the kicker is, everything I'm about to do here you can do at home, because we built this for the public for you guys to use. |
这当中最值得注意的就是:我接下来在这里做的一切 你都可以在家里完成,因为我们的目的 就是为了让大家,为了让你们都能够使用 |
kicker:n.踢者;爱发牢骚的人;喷射器;
|
So what you're looking at right now is the Earth. |
现在你所看到的了就是地球 |
You can see the United States and California and San Diego, and you can use the mouse or the keyboard to spin things around. |
这里是美国,这边了就是加州 这儿是圣迭戈,你可以用鼠标 或者键盘旋转整个画面 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向;
|
Now, this isn't new. Anyone who's used Google Earth has seen this before, but one thing we like to say in our group is, we do the opposite of Google Earth. |
你现在看到的了并没啥新意。只要你用过谷歌地球 你就肯定看过这些了,但是我想说的是 我们的团队做的是与谷歌地球截然相反的事 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
|
Google Earth goes from this view down to your backyard . |
谷歌地球是从地球然后缩放到你家后院 |
backyard:n.后院;后庭;
|
We go from this view out to the stars. |
我们则是从地球延伸至星际 |
So the Earth is cool, but what we really want to show are the spacecraft, so I'm going to bring the interface back up, and now you're looking at a number of satellites orbiting the Earth. |
能看地球固然不错,但是我们最想向大家展示的是 航天器 所以了,现在我将界面进行缩放 你看到的就是数量众多的人造卫星 正在绕着地球转 |
interface:n.接口;人机界面;连接电路;v.连接; orbiting:v.[航][天]轨道运行;轨道运动;转圈(orbit的ing形式);
|
These are a number of our science space Earth orbiters . |
这有我们许许多多的地球轨道飞行器 |
orbiters:n.人造卫星;盘旋物;
|
We haven't included military satellites and weather satellites and communication satellites and reconnaissance satellites. |
我们并没有收入军事卫星、气象卫星 通信卫星和侦察卫星也未包括在内 |
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; reconnaissance:n.[军]侦察;勘测(等于reconnoissance);搜索;事先考查;
|
If we did, it would be a complete mess , because there's a lot of stuff out there. |
如果上述卫星都有的话,那就真的是一团乱麻了 因为各种卫星实在是太多了 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And the cool thing is, we actually created 3D models for a number of these spacecraft, so if you want to visit any of these, all you need to do is double-click on them. |
厉害的是,我们为这些数不清的航天器 做出了三维模型,所以如果你想要 观察这些航天器,只需双击它们即可 |
double-click:n.双击;
|
So I'm going to find the International Space Station , double-click, and it will take us all the way down to the ISS. |
我现在就来找找国际空间站 双击它,我们就来到了国际空间站 |
Space Station:n.太空站;航天站;宇宙空间站;
|
And now you're riding along with the ISS where it is right now. |
现在我们就在跟随着国际空间站飞行 并且这就是它此时此刻的实际位置 |
And the other cool thing is, not only can we move the camera around, we can also control time, so I can slide this jog dial here to shuttle time forward, and now |
另外一件厉害的事了就是,我们不仅可以 移动我们的视角,我们还可以控制时间 所以我只要滑动这里的时间轴 我就能够将时间往前调,现在我们看到的 |
jog:v.慢跑(尤指锻炼);(偶然地)轻击;轻碰;n.轻推;慢跑(尤指锻炼);轻碰;轻击 shuttle:n.穿梭班机、公共汽车;梭;梭子;v.频繁往来;往返运送
|
we can see what a sunset on the ISS would look like, and they get one every 90 minutes. (Laughter) |
就是国际空间站上的日落景象 这样的景象每90分钟就会出现一次。(笑声) |
sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止;
|
All right, so what about the rest of it? |
那好,其他的还有什么了? |
Well, I can click on this home button over here, and that will take us up to the inner solar system, and now we're looking at the rest of the solar system. |
我只要点击这里的主页按钮 我们就会来到内太阳系的画面 现在,我们看到的就是太阳系的其余部分 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
|
You can see, there's Saturn , there's Jupiter , and while we're here, I want to point out something. |
你看,这是土星,这是木星 既然我们到看到了这里,我还想多说几句 |
Saturn:n.[天]土星;农业之神(罗马神话中的一个形象); Jupiter:n.[天]木星;朱庇特(罗马神话中的宙斯神);
|
It's actually pretty busy. |
其实这里了是非常热闹的。 |
Here we have the Mars Science Laboratory on its way to Mars, just launched last weekend. |
这里有我们的火星科学实验室 它上周末刚发射升空,正奔赴火星 |
Mars:n.火星 launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
|
Here we have Juno on its cruise to Jupiter, there. |
这还有我们的朱诺号,正向木星飞去,就在这 |
cruise:v.巡航;乘船游览;慢速行驶,巡行;猎艳;n.航行;乘船游览;
|
We have Dawn orbiting Vesta , and we have over here New Horizons on a straight shot to Pluto . |
还有绕着灶神星转的曙光号 这边了还有我们的新地平线号 直接飞奔向冥王星 |
Dawn:n.黎明;开端;vt.破晓;出现;被领悟; Vesta:n.短火柴; Horizons:n.地平线;范围,眼界;(horizon的复数) Pluto:n.冥王;冥王星;
|
And I mention this because there's this strange public perception that |
我之所以要说这些,是因为 公众中有这样一种很莫名其妙的说法 |
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
|
NASA's dead, that the space shuttles stopped flying and all of the sudden there's no more spacecraft out there. |
认为NASA已死,认为宇宙飞船不再翱翔太空 突然之间,宇宙之中已没了我们宇宙飞船的影子 |
shuttles:n.[纺]梭子; v.使…穿梭移动(shuttle的第三人称单数形式);
|
Well, a lot of what NASA does is robotic exploration, and we have a lot of spacecraft out there. |
其实,NASA做的许多工作都是无人太空探索 我们的有着数量众多的太空飞行器翱翔在宇宙之中 |
robotic:adj.机器人的,像机器人的;自动的;n.机器人学;
|
Granted , we're not sending humans up at the moment, well at least with our own launch vehicles , but NASA is far from dead, and one of the reasons why we write a program like this |
当然,现阶段,我们并没有把宇航员送上太空 至少没有通过我们自己发射的飞行器将他们送上太空 但是NASA已死纯属无稽之谈 我们要编写这一程序的一个原因就是 |
Granted:v.不错,的确; conj.因为; v.同意,准予,允许; (grant的过去分词和过去式) vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
|
is so that people realize that there's so many other things that we're doing. |
让人们知道有许许多多的事 我们正在为之努力 |
Anyway, while we're here, again, if you want to visit anything, all you need to do is double-click. |
总之就是这样,我想再说一次 只要你想亲自探索任何东西 只需双击即可完成 |
So I'm just going to double-click on Vesta, and here we have Dawn orbiting Vesta, and this is happening right now. |
我现在就双击灶神星 这就是绕着灶神星转的曙光号 大家看到的就是实时影像 |
I'm going to double-click on Uranus , and we can see |
我接下来双击天王星,我们就能看到 |
Uranus:n.[天]天王星;
|
Uranus rotating on its side along with its moons. |
水平自转的天王星,以及它的卫星 |
rotating:v.(使)旋转,转动;(工作)由…轮值;(rotate的现在分词)
|
You can see how it's tilted at about 89 degrees. |
大家看,它的自转轴倾斜角度大概为89度 |
tilted:v.倾斜;使倾向于;偏向;(tilt的过去分词和过去式)
|
And just being able to visit different places and go through different times, we have data from 1950 to 2050. |
为了能让大家浏览各个不同的地方 以及它们在不同时间的样子 我们搜集了1950年至2050年的数据 |
Granted, we don't have everything in between, because some of the data is hard to get. |
当然,我们不可能囊括这个时间段内的一切 因为有些数据很难获得 |
Just being able to visit places in different times, you can explore this for hours, literally hours on end, but I want to show you one thing in particular , so I'm going to open up the destination tab , spacecraft outer planet missions , Voyager 1, and I'm going to bring up the Titan flyby . |
单是探索不同时期的各个地方 你就能沉迷于其中好几个小时 毫不夸张,连续的几个小时 但是我还特别想向大家展示一样东西 我现在打开“目的地”菜单 然后“航天器”,接着“外太阳系探索”,选择旅行者1号 我现我们就能看到它对土卫六的近距离观测 |
explore:v.探索:探测:探险: literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: in particular:尤其,特别; tab:n.标签;签条;突耳;凸舌;v.说(某人)适合于(某工作或角色); outer:adj.外面的,外部的;远离中心的;n.环外命中; missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数) Voyager:n.航海者,航行者; Titan:n.巨人;提坦;太阳神; flyby:n.飞越;飞近探测;在低空飞过指定地点;
|
So now we've gone back in time. |
我们再将时间往回调 |
We're now riding along with Voyager 1. |
我们现在就是在和旅行者1号一同飞行 |
The date here is November 11, 1980. |
画面显示的是1980年11月11号 |
Now, there's a funny thing going on here. |
这个里面了有一个非常有意思的事 |
It doesn't look like anything's going on. |
这个画面看上去好像是静止的一样 |
It looks like I've paused the program. |
感觉就像是我摁了暂停键 |
It's actually running at real rate right now, one second per second, and in fact, |
实际上,一切的物体都是以它们实际的速度在运动 一秒接着一秒,并且实际上 |
Voyager 1 here is flying by Titan at |
旅行者1号掠过土卫六的速度 |
I think it's 38,000 miles per hour. |
我记得是3万8千英里每小时 |
It only looks like nothing's moving because, well, |
看上去静止的原因是 |
Saturn here is 700,000 miles away, and Titan here is 4,000 to 5,000 miles away. |
土星大约有70万英里远 土卫六则有4千到5千英里远 |
It's just the vastness of space makes it look like nothing's happening. |
其中相隔着的巨大空间使得一切都好似静止 |
vastness:n.巨大;广大;广漠;
|
But to make it more interesting, |
还有一件更有意思的事 |
I'm going to speed up time, and we can watch as Voyager 1 flies by Titan, which is a hazy moon of Saturn. |
我现在把时间加速,我们可以看到 旅行者1号掠过土卫六 土星的这个颗卫星蒙着一层面纱 |
hazy:adj.朦胧的;模糊的;有薄雾的;
|
It actually has a very thick atmosphere . |
它的大气层相当的浓厚 |
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格;
|
And I'm going to recenter the camera on Saturn, here. |
我现在把镜头重新聚焦到土星上 |
I'm going to pull out, and I want to show you |
然后缩放画面,我想向大家展示的是 |
Voyager 1 as it flies by Saturn. |
旅行者1号飞过土星的画面 |
There's a point to be made here. |
这里有一点我需要说明 |
With a 3D visualization like this, we can not only just say Voyager 1 flew by Saturn. |
凭借这样的一个三维可视化程序 我们不仅可以简单地展示旅行者1号飞过土星 |
There's a whole story to tell here. |
这里包括了这个过程的所有细节 |
And even better, because it's an interactive application , you can tell the story for yourself. |
甚至,因为这是一个互动式的程序 你可以随心所欲 |
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用;
|
If you want to pause it, you can pause it. |
想暂停,就暂停 |
If you want to keep going, if you want to change the camera angle, you can do that, and because of that, I can show you that Voyager 1 doesn't just fly by Saturn. |
想继续,想改变镜头的角度 你都可以做到 这样一来,我可以告诉你 旅行者1号不仅仅是飞过土星那么简单 |
It actually flies underneath Saturn. |
它实际上是从土星的下面飞过 |
underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
|
Now, what happens is, as it flies underneath Saturn, |
现在,随着旅行者1号从下方飞过土星 |
Saturn grabs it gravitationally and flings it up and out of the solar system, so if I just keep letting this go, you can see Voyager 1 fly up like that. |
进入土星的重力场后,旅行者1号受其引力被向上抛出 离开了太阳系 所以如果我让画面继续 你就可以看到旅行者1号的轨迹是这样的 |
grabs:n.链钩(grab的复数);v.抓取;捕获(grab的第三人称单数); gravitationally:adv.gravitational的变形adj.[物理学]万有引力的; flings:vt.掷,抛;嘲笑;使陷入;轻蔑地投射;猛动;n.掷,抛;嘲弄;急冲;vi.猛冲,急行;
|
And, in fact, I'm going to go back to the solar system. |
接着了,让我们重新回到太阳系 |
I'm going to go back to today, now, and I want to show you where Voyager 1 is. |
我把时间调回今天,此时此刻 我想向大家展示旅行者1号现在在哪 |
Right there, above, way above the solar system, way beyond our solar system. |
就在这,太阳系的上方,遥远的上方 离太阳系很遥远了 |
And here's the thing. Now you know how it got there. |
所以,现在你就知道了旅行者1号是怎么到达那里的 |
Now you know why, and to me, that's the point of this program. |
你也知道了其中的奥妙,对于我来说 这就是这个程序的意义所在 |
You can manipulate it yourself. |
你可以自己操作 |
manipulate:vt.操纵;操作;巧妙地处理;篡改;
|
You can fly around yourself and you can learn for yourself. |
你可以任意地遨游,然后自己学习新知 |
You know, the theme today is "The World In Your Grasp ." |
大家知道,今天的主题是“您掌中的世界” |
Grasp:n.抓住;理解;控制;v.抓住;领会;
|
Well, we're trying to give you the solar system in your grasp — (Laughter) — and we hope once it's there, you'll be able to learn for yourself what we've done out there, and what we're about to do. |
我们想要做的了就是 把太阳系至于你的掌控之中——(笑声)—— 我们希望大家能利用这个程序 学到点什么东西 能够了解我们做了些什么,我们即将要做些什么 |
And my personal dream is for kids to take this and explore and see the wonders out there and be inspired, as I was as a kid, to pursue STEM education and to pursue a dream in space exploration. |
我个人的梦想了,是希望孩子们能够利用它 发现和探索宇宙中的奥妙 并能因此获得激励,就像我还是孩子的时候 受到鼓舞投身于科学、技术、工程、数学之中 投身于空间探索之中 |
Thank you. (Applause) |
谢谢 |