返回首页

JohnUnderkoffler_2010-_展示未来的用户界面_

We're 25, 26 years after the advent of the Macintosh , which was an astoundingly seminal event in the history of human-machine interface and in computation in general . 苹果机是大概25,26年前 发明的, 那是在人机界面的 历史中, 甚至是在整个计算机领域的 一个令人叹为观止的革命性的创新。
advent:n.到来;出现;基督降临;基督降临节; Macintosh:n.苹果公司生产的一种型号的计算机; astoundingly:adv.令人惊奇地; seminal:adj.种子的;精液的;生殖的; human-machine:人机; interface:n.接口;人机界面;连接电路;v.连接; computation:n.估计,计算; in general:总之,通常;一般而言;
It fundamentally changed the way that people thought about computation, thought about computers, how they used them and who and how many people were able to use them. 它从根本上改变了 人们对于计算的理解模式, 对电脑的理解和使用方式, 使得更多的各种各样的人都能够使用电脑。
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
It was such a radical change, in fact, that the early Macintosh development team in '82, '83, '84 had to write an entirely new operating system from the ground up . 那是一个很彻底的改变,事实上, 早期的苹果机开发团队 在*82,*83,*84年 不得不完全从零开始写一个全新的操作系统。
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; operating system:n.(计算机)操作系统; from the ground up:从头开始;彻底;
Now, this is an interesting little message, and it's a lesson that has since, I think, been forgotten or lost or something, and that is, namely , that the OS is the interface. 那么现在,我想传达一个有趣的观点, 或者说这是从苹果机问世之后 被遗忘或者丢失的一个教训: 操作系统就是界面本身,
namely:adv.也就是;即是;换句话说;
The interface is the OS. 界面其实就是操作系统。
It's like the land and the king (i.e. Arthur) they're inseparable , they are one. 这就像在《阿瑟王》里面的土地和国王,两者不可分割,两者其实是一体的。
inseparable:adj.[数]不可分割的;不能分离的;n.不可分离的事物;形影不离的朋友;
And to write a new operating system was not a capricious matter. 在当时写一个新的操作系统并不是一个难以捉摸的事情,
capricious:adj.反复无常的;任性的;
It wasn't just a matter of tuning up some graphics routines. 它也不仅仅是只要调整和修改一些图形显示顺序和模式。
tuning:n.调谐;收听;调音;v.(为乐器)调音;调节(发动机);调频道;(tune的现在分词) graphics:n.[测]制图学;制图法;图表算法;
There were no graphics routines. There were no mouse drivers. 其实当时没有什么图形显示流程,也没有鼠标驱动程序。
So it was a necessity. 所以当时全部改写操作系统是唯一的选择。
But in the quarter-century since then, we've seen all of the fundamental supporting technologies go berserk . 但在此后的25年里, 我们看到了所有基本的 相关技术迅猛发展。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); go berserk:变狂暴;
So memory capacity and disk capacity have been multiplied by something between 10,000 and a million. 比如,内存和硬盘容量 已经翻了差不多1万到1百万倍。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; multiplied:v.乘;乘以;成倍增加;(使)繁殖,增殖;(multiply的过去分词和过去式)
Same thing for processor speeds. 处理器速度也是如此。
processor:n.[计]处理器;处理程序;加工者;
Networks, we didn't have networks at all at the time of the Macintosh's introduction, and that has become the single most salient aspect of how we live with computers. 而网络,在苹果机出现的时候 还根本没有网络, 现在它已经成为我们生活中与电脑共处的 一个最突出的不可或缺的东西。
salient:adj.显著的;突出的;跳跃的;n.凸角;突出部分; aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
And, of course, graphics: Today 84 dollars and 97 cents at Best Buy buys you more graphics power than you could have gotten for a million bucks from SGI only a decade ago. 当然,还有图形处理能力:现在 你花84.97美元在百思买(Best Buy)公司 能买到比10年前 要用1百万美元从专业的SGI图形服务器更多的图形处理能力。
bucks:n.元;雄鹿;(buck的复数)
So we've got that incredible ramp-up . 总之,我们的技术已经得到了不可思议的发展。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; ramp-up:上升;
Then, on the side, we've got the Web and, increasingly , the cloud, which is fantastic , but also -- in the regard in which an interface is fundamental -- kind of a distraction . 然后,在另一方面,我们有网络, 和越来越多的云计算服务, 非常棒。 但是那些东西对于在人机界面是基本内容的方面, 也是一个分散注意力的因素,
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; fantastic:奇异的,空想的 distraction:n.注意力分散;消遣;心烦意乱;
So we've forgotten to invent new interfaces . 导致我们忘记了要去创造新的界面。
interfaces:n.分界面; v.把界面缝合; (interface的复数)
Certainly we've seen in recent years a lot of change in that regard, and people are starting to wake up about that. 当然,在近几年我们已经看到了这方面的很多变化, 人们已经开始有所醒悟。
So what happens next? Where do we go from there? 那么接下来会怎么发展?界面的发展方向和远景如何?
The problem, as we see it, has to do with a single, simple word: "space," 我们认为这其中的难题 可以用一个简单的词来概括:“空间”,
or a single, simple phrase: "real world geometry ." 或者一个简单的词组: “真实世界的几何形状。”
geometry:n.几何学;几何结构;
Computers and the programming languages that we talk to them in, that we teach them in, are hideously insensate when it comes to space. 计算机和我们用来沟通和指挥它们的 编程语言, 当涉及到空间的时候都是无可救药的。
hideously:adv.可怕地;非常讨厌地;荒谬可笑地; insensate:adj.无感觉的;无情的;无生命的;
They don't understand real world space. 它们不能理解现实世界的空间。
It's a funny thing because the rest of us occupy it quite frequently and quite well. 空间是一个有意思的东西,因为所有我们人类相当频繁和理所当然地占据它。
occupy:v.占据,占领;居住;使忙碌; frequently:adv.频繁地,经常地;时常,屡次;
They also don't understand time, but that's a matter for a separate talk. 它们也不理解时间,不过那是另一个需要单独谈的话题。
So what happens if you start to explain space to them? 那如果你开始向它们 解释空间会怎么样?
One thing you might get is something like the Luminous Room. 你可能会搞出一个像光照室之类的东西。
Luminous:adj.发光的;明亮的;清楚的;
The Luminous Room is a system in which it's considered that input and output spaces are co-located . 光照室是一个 把空间作为输入和输出 并且相互关联的一个系统。
input:n.投入; v.把(数据等)输入计算机; output:n.(人、机器、机构的)产量;输出;输出功率;输出量;v.输出; co-located:同地协作;
That's a strangely simple, and yet unexplored idea, right? 这是一个其实很简单 但是尚未挖掘的想法。
strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地; unexplored:adj.[地质]未勘查过的;
When you use a mouse, your hand is down here on the mouse pad . 你看,当你用鼠标的时候,你的手放在这个地方的鼠标垫上,
pad:n.软垫,护垫;便笺本;爪垫;肉掌;v.填充,覆盖,保护;蹑手蹑脚地走;做黑账;
It's not even on the same plane as what you're talking about: 而这里甚至不是你要讲的东西所在的同一个平面,
The pixels are up on the display . 那些像素在高高的显示屏上。
pixels:n.像素(组成屏幕图像的最小独立元素);(pixel的复数) display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的;
So here was a room in which all the walls, floors, ceilings , pets, potted plants, whatever was in there, were capable , not only of display but of sensing as well. 那么这个房间,里面的所有墙壁,地板,天花板, 宠物,盆栽植物,不管是里面的什么, 都不仅仅只能显示,并且能够感应。
ceilings:n.[建]天花板(ceiling的复数); capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
And that means input and output are in the same space enabling stuff like this. 这意味着输入和输出都在同一个空间, 能做些这之类的事情。
enabling:adj.授权的;v.使能够;授权给(enable的现在分词); stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
That's a digital storage in a physical container. 这是一个里面有电子存储器的一个实际容器,
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
The contract is the same as with real word objects in real world containers. 它会像现实世界中的实际容器一样 有相同的反应。
contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约;
Has to come back out, whatever you put in. 不管你往里面放了什么,总是要倒出来的。
This little design experiment that was a small office here knew a few other tricks as well. 这个设计的办公室小实验 还能做一些其他有意思的事情。
If you presented it with a chess board, it tried to figure out what you might mean by that. 如果你给它一个棋盘, 它会尽量想出你可能想干什么。
And if there was nothing for them to do, the chess pieces eventually got bored and hopped away. 如果你把棋盘移开, 这些棋子没事可干,不一会儿 它们觉得无聊就会跳开了。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; bored:adj.无聊的;厌倦的;烦闷的;v.使厌烦;钻,凿,挖;(bore的过去分词和过去式) hopped:v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;(hop的过去分词和过去式)
The academics who were overseeing this work thought that that was too frivolous , so we built deadly serious applications like this optics prototyping workbench in which a toothpaste cap on a cardboard box becomes a laser. 主管这项研究的学者 认为它太没份量, 所以我们后来做了一些非常严肃的应用, 比如这个光学试验台, 把牙膏帽放在纸箱子上 做成激光器,
academics:n.学术水平;学术知识;专业学者; overseeing:监督;审查;俯瞰;偷看到,无意中看到; frivolous:adj.无聊的;轻佻的;琐碎的; deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; optics:n.[光]光学; prototyping:n.[计]样机研究;原型设计; workbench:n.工作台;手工台; toothpaste:n.牙膏; cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的;
The beam splitters and lenses are represented by physical objects, and the system projects down the laser beam path. 用实际的物体做成光束分离器和镜头, 这个系统沿着激光光路方向投射。
beam:n.光线; v.发射(电波); lenses:n.透镜;镜片;(眼球的)晶状体;(lens的复数) represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
So you've got an interface that has no interface. 所以这个界面其实可以说是没有界面的,
You operate the world as you operate the real world, which is to say, with your hands. 你操作这个东西就和你在实际世界中操作一样, 也就是说,用你的手直接操作。
Similarly , a digital wind tunnel with digital wind flowing from right to left -- not that remarkable in a sense; we didn't invent the mathematics . 类似地,这里是一个数码风洞, 数码风从右向左吹。 从某种程度上说,这个并不很牛,因为我们没有发明这个东西的数学计算方式。
Similarly:adv.同样地;类似于; wind tunnel:n.(试验飞机等用的)风洞; remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的; mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
But if you displayed that on a CRT or flat panel display, it would be meaningless to hold up an arbitrary object, a real world object in that. 但是如果你把它显示在投射或平板显示器上, 然后随便举着一个东西,一个现实世界中的物体, 它不会有任何含义。
displayed:v.陈列;展出;展示;显露(display的过去分词和过去式) panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰); arbitrary:adj.[数]任意的;武断的;专制的;
Here, the real world merges with the simulation . 而在这里,现实世界与这个模拟空间融合在了一起。
merges:v.合并(merge的第三人称单数); simulation:n.仿真;模拟;模仿;假装;
And finally , to pull out all the stops, this is a system called Urp, for urban planners , in which we give architects and urban planners back the models that we confiscated when we insisted that they use CAD systems. 最后我们把所有元素综合到一起, 组成这个给城镇规划师用的“城规”系统, 这个系统提供了建筑师和城市规划师 使用计算机辅助设计系统(CAD) 所没有的功能模型,
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; planners:n.规划师;规划人员(planner的复数);计划人员; architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数); confiscated:v.充公,没收(confiscate的过去分词);
And we make the machine meet them half way. 使得他们操作机器有一个更加友好的界面。
It projects down digital shadows, as you see here. 它向下投射数码阴影,就像这个样子。
And if you introduce tools like this inverse clock, then you can control the sun's position in the sky. 如果你拿来一些工具比如这个时钟模型, 那么你可以模拟太阳的移动。
inverse:n.相反;倒转;adj.相反的;倒转的;v.使倒转;使颠倒;
That's 8 a.m. shadows. 这是上午8点的阴影,
They get a little shorter at 9 a.m. 上午9点的时候变得短一点。
There you are, swinging the sun around. 再继续,可以把太阳旋转一周,
Short shadows at noon and so forth. 中午的阴影就更短,等等。
And we built up a series of tools like this. 我们还做了类似的一系列工具,
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
There are inter-shadowing studies that children can operate, even though they don't know anything about urban planning: 有连小孩都会操作的 阴影交互研究工具, 即使他们对城市规划一无所知。
To move a building, you simply reach out your hand and you move the building. 要移动一栋楼房只要用你的手去移就可以了。
A material wand makes the building into a sort of Frank Gehry thing that reflects light in all directions. 用一根棍子去碰一下能使这个建筑反射各个方向的光线, 就像法兰克?盖瑞(Frank Gehry )风格的建筑。
wand:n.魔杖; v.用扫描笔在…上扫描条形码; Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄; reflects:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达;(reflect的第三人称单数)
Are you blinding passers by and motorists on the freeways ? 它会不会让路人和旁边高速公路上的司机觉得太耀眼?
passers:n.过路人;旅客;考试合格者; motorists:n.驾车者;开汽车的人;(motorist的复数) freeways:n.[公路]高速公路(freeway的复数形式);
A zoning tool connects distant structures , a building and a roadway . 区域规划工具可以把远处的物体,建筑和道路连接起来,
distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式); roadway:n.道路;路面;车行道;铁路的路基;
Are you going to get sued by the zoning commission ? And so forth. 来看看有没有被区域规划委员会起诉的风险,等等。
sued:v.控告;提起诉讼;提出请求;(sue的过去分词和过去式) commission:n.委员会;佣金;犯;委任;委任状;vt.委任;使服役;委托制作;
Now, if these ideas seem familiar or perhaps even a little dated, that's great; they should seem familiar. 现在如果大家似乎听过这些想法 或者甚至觉得有点过时, 很好,大家应该听说过那些东西。
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
This work is 15 years old. 这项工作是15年前的了,
This stuff was undertaken at MIT and the Media Lab under the incredible direction of Professor Hiroshi Ishii, director of the Tangible Media Group. 是在麻省理工学院媒体实验室的 石井洋(Hiroshi Ishii)教授的非凡指导下进行的, 他也是有形媒体集团的董事。
undertaken:v.从事;开始进行(undertake的过去分词); Media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; Tangible:adj.有形的;切实的;可触摸的;n.有形资产;
But it was that work that was seen by Alex McDowell, one of the world's legendary production designers. 世界著名制片设计师 阿历克斯?麦道威尔(Alex McDowell) 也看到了这项工作。
legendary:adj.传说的,传奇的;n.传说集;圣徒传;
But Alex was preparing a little, sort of obscure , indie , arthouse film called " Minority Report" for Steven Spielberg, and invited us to come out from MIT and design the interfaces that would appear in that film. 但是阿历克斯当时正准备为史蒂芬?斯皮尔伯格做一个有点难懂的独立制片的电影, 叫作“少数派报告(Minority Report)”, 他从麻省理工学院把我们邀请出来 设计影片里面 需要的界面。
obscure:n.朦胧; adj.无名的; v.使模糊; indie:n.独立经营的电影院等;独立制片人;adj.独立的; Minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
And the great thing about it was that Alex was so dedicated to the idea of verisimilitude , the idea that the putative 2054 that we were painting in the film be believable, that he allowed us to take on that design work as if it were an R&D effort. 这个事情的伟大之处 在于阿历克斯是如此热诚地追求逼真, 一定要让电影里面描述的2054年 是可信的, 他让我们把他的设计拿过来用, 当作是研发出来的。
dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) verisimilitude:n.逼真,貌似真实;逼真的事物; putative:adj.推定的,假定的;
And the result is sort of gratifyingly perpetual . 其结果是 令人高兴的,给人留下了长久的印像。
gratifyingly:adv.令人满意地;使人满足地; perpetual:adj.永久的;不断的;四季开花的;无期限的;
People still reference those sequences in "Minority Report" 在谈到新的用户界面设计的时候,
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用; sequences:n.[数][计]序列,顺序;继起的事(sequence的复数形式);
when they talk about new UI design. 人们还会提到在“少数派报告”里面那些序列。
So this led full circle, in a strange way, to build these ideas into what we believe is the necessary future of human machine interface: the Spatial Operating Environment, we call it. 这个事情使得我们以一种独特的方式 把那些想法做成了我们认定 必然是末来的人机界面, 我们称之为空间操作环境。
Spatial:adj.空间的;存在于空间的;受空间条件限制的;
So here we have a bunch of stuff, some images . 这里我们有一堆东西,一些图像。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And, using a hand, we can actually exercise six degrees of freedom, six degrees of navigational control. 用一只手, 我们就可以操作六维自由度, 6维导航。
navigational:adj.航行的,航运的;
And it's fun to fly through Mr. Beckett's eye. 现在飞过贝克特先生的眼睛,有点意思。
And you can come back out through the scary orangutan . 从这个可怕的 猩猩身上回来,
orangutan:n.[脊椎]猩猩(等于orangoutang);
And that's all well and good. 穿梭自如。
Let's do something a little more difficult. 现在我们做些有点难度的东西。
Here, we have a whole bunch of disparate images. 这里我们有一大堆分散开的图像,
disparate:adj.不同的;不相干的;全异的;n.无法相比的东西;
We can fly around them. 我们可以在它们中间穿梭。
So navigation is a fundamental issue . 所以说导航是一个根本问题,
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
You have to be able to navigate in 3D. 你必须要能在三维空间导航。
navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
Much of what we want computers to help us with in the first place is inherently spatial. 大部分我们首先需要电脑帮助的 其实自然而然的就是空间,
in the first place:首先;起初; inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地;
And the part that isn't spatial can often be spatialized to allow our wetware to make greater sense of it. 而那些不是空间的往往可以使之空间化, 让我们的脑袋能够更容易地理解它们。
spatialized:空间化的; wetware:n.湿件(被视为计算机程序或系统的人脑);
Now we can distribute this stuff in many different ways. 请看,我们可以把这些东西用许多不同的方式展开,
distribute:v.分发;分配;分销;分散;
So we can throw it out like that. Let's reset it. 可以像这样把它们扔开。把它们重新排列一下,
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版;
We can organize it this way. 我们可以把它列成这个样子。
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
And, of course, it's not just about navigation, but about manipulation as well. 当然,界面不只是为了导航而已, 操纵同样重要。
manipulation:n.操作;管理措施;处理;操纵证券市场;变换;
So if we don't like stuff, or we're intensely curious about 那么,如果有我们不喜欢的东西, 或者我们
intensely:adv.强烈地;紧张地;热情地; curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
Ernst Haeckel's scientific falsifications , we can pull them out like that. 对恩斯特?海克尔的学术造假十分好奇, 可以这样把它们抽出来。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; falsifications:n.伪造;歪曲;[审计]篡改;证明是假;
And then if it's time for analysis , we can pull back a little bit and ask for a different distribution . 然后如果需要作分析,我们可以把它们往后拉一点点, 然后重新排列一下。
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销;
Let's just come down a bit and fly around. 我们向下面走一点, 把它们转动起来。
So that's a different way to look at stuff. 这又是另一个看东西的不同的方式。
If you're of a more analytical nature then you might want, actually, to look at this as a color histogram . 如果你还想进一步分析研究, 那么实际上你可能想 用柱状图来看这些东西。
analytical:adj.分析的;解析的;善于分析的; histogram:n.[统计]直方图;柱状图;
So now we've got the stuff color-sorted, angle maps onto color. 所以现在我们已经把这些东西按照颜色排序, 角度也对应颜色。
And now, if we want to select stuff, 3D, space, the idea that we're tracking hands in real space becomes really important because we can reach in, not in 2D, not in fake 2D, but in actual 3D. 现在,如果我们想 从三维的空间里面选出东西 ——在实际空间中感应跟踪手的动作 这个想法非常重要,因为只有这样我们才能在 真正的三维空间中,而不是在二维或伪二维空间中操作——
tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词) fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
Here are some selection planes. 这里是一些选择平面,
selection:n.选择;选拔;挑选;被挑选的人(或物);
And we'll perform this Boolean operation because we really love yellow and tapirs on green grass. 我们现在演示的这个操作 能把我们喜欢的黄色和在绿色草地上的貘找出来。
perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好); tapirs:n.[脊椎]貘;
So, from there to the world of real work. 现在,我们演示一些实用的系统。
Here's a logistics system, a small piece of one that we're currently building. 这是一个物流系统, 是我们目前正在做的一个项目的一小块。
logistics:n.[军]后勤;后勤学;物流; currently:adv.当前;一般地;
There're a lot of elements . 这个项目包括很多方面,
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
And one thing that's very important is to combine traditional tabular data with three-dimensional and geospatial information. 其中一个十分重要的因素是要把传统的表格数据 和三维地理空间信息结合起来。
traditional:传统的,惯例的, tabular:adj.表格式的;列成表的;制成表的; three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; geospatial:n.地理空间;
So here's a familiar place. 这里有一个我们熟悉的地方,
And we'll bring this back here for a second. 我们把它拖过来一点看看。
Maybe select a little bit of that. 要不我们挑一点东西出来,
And bring out this graph. 把这个图取出来。
bring out:出版,生产;使显示;说出;
And we should, now, be able to fly in here and have a closer look. 那么我们现在应该 能够飞到这里面去, 看个清楚。
These are logistics elements that are scattered across the United States. 这些都是散布在美国各地的 物流系统的组成部分。
scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式) United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
One thing that three-dimensional interactions and the general idea of imbuing computation with space affords you is a final destruction of that unfortunate one-to-one pairing between human beings and computers. 三维互动以及 把计算和空间信息 相融合的想法 彻底淘汰了 一对一的人机界面,
interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) imbuing:v.使吸入(水分等);浸染;使感染;鼓吹;(imbue的现在分词); affords:vt.给予,提供;买得起; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁; one-to-one:adj.一对一的;一一对应的;
That's the old way, that's the old mantra : one machine, one human, one mouse, one screen. 那是过时的方式和思维习惯,对吧, 一台机器,一个人,一个鼠标,一个屏幕。
mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌;
Well, that doesn't really cut it anymore. 显然,这已经不那么好使了。
In the real world, we have people who collaborate; we have people who have to work together, and we have many different displays . 因为在现实世界中,我们合作, 我们需要协同工作, 而且我们有很多不同的显示模式。
displays:v.陈列; n.陈列;
And we might want to look at these various images. 现在我们来看看这些不同的图像,
We might want to ask for some help. 这个过程中可能会要人帮一下忙。
The author of this new pointing device is sitting over there, so I can pull this from there to there. 发明这个新的指挥棒的人 就坐在那边, 那么我把这个东西从这里拖到那里。
pointing device:n.点击设备;
These are unrelated machines, right? 这些机器都是不相关的,你要知道。
unrelated:adj.无关的,不相干的;
So the computation is space soluble and network soluble. 因此,这里的计算都是与空间和网络相融合的。
soluble:adj.[化学]可溶的,可溶解的;可解决的;
So I'm going to leave that over there because I have a question for Paul. 我把那个东西留在那边, 因为我有一个问题要问保罗。
Paul is the designer of this wand, and maybe its easiest for him to come over here and tell me in person what's going on. 保罗是这个指挥棒的设计师,所以也许让他到这里来 亲口告诉我是最简单直接的。
So let me get some of these out of the way. 那么我现在把这些东西挪开一点。
Let's pull this apart: 现在把这个分解开,
I'll go ahead and explode it. 继续把它爆炸开。
explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);
Kevin, can you help? 凯文,能来帮一下忙吗?
Let me see if I can help us find the circuit board . 让我看看是否能帮助找到电路板。
circuit board:n.线路板;电路板;
Mind you, it's a sort of gratuitous field-stripping exercise, but we do it in the lab all the time. 你要知道,这看起来像是一个没什么必要的现场演示, 其实我们经常在实验室里面这样做。
gratuitous:adj.无理由的,无端的;免费的; field-stripping:vt.对…作拆卸检修(field-strip的变形);
All right. 差不多了。
So collaborative work, whether it's immediately co-located or distant and distinct , is always important. 因此,协同工作始终是很重要的, 不管是在同一个空间靠得很近还是相距遥远各不相同。
collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的; distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的;
And again, that stuff needs to be undertaken in the context of space. 再强调一下,这些东西 是需要在空间环境中操作的。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
And finally, I'd like to leave you with a glimpse that takes us back to the world of imagery . 最后,我想和大家一起 再回到图像世界。
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹; imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
This is a system called TAMPER , which is a slightly whimsical look at what the future of editing and media manipulation systems might be. 这个系统叫作“摊牌(Tamper)”, 它稍微有点超前,想看看 未来的编辑和 媒体运用系统将是什么样的。
TAMPER:v.篡改;干预;损害;玩弄;贿赂;n.填塞者;捣棒; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; whimsical:adj.古怪的;异想天开的;反复无常的; editing:v.编辑,校订(文章、书籍等);编选;(edit的现在分词)
We at Oblong believe that media should be accessible in much more fine-grained form. 作为欧布隆(Oblong)公司的成员,我们相信 应该能够更精细地运用和操作媒体素材,
Oblong:adj.椭圆形的;长方形的;n.椭圆形;长方形; accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; fine-grained:adj.细粒的;有细密纹理的;
So we have a large number of movies stuck inside here. 所以这里面 有一大堆电影资料。
And let's just pick out a few elements. 现在我们从里面挑出一些素材。
We can zip through them as a possibility. 我们可以很快地 浏览过去,
We can grab elements off the front, where upon they reanimate , come to life, and drag them down onto the table here. 把想要的素材抓出来放在最上面的一层, 在那里它们恢复成能活动的, 现在把它拖过来放到这个桌子上。
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; reanimate:vt.鼓舞;使复活;使恢复生气; drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石;
We'll go over to Jacques Tati here and grab our blue friend and put him down on the table as well. 然后我们到雅克?塔蒂这里来 把这个蓝色的朋友 也放在桌子上,
We may need more than one. 可能还要一个。
And we probably need, well, we probably need a cowboy to be quite honest. 老实说,我们可能 还需要一个牛仔, 对吧。
(Laughter) (大家笑)
Yeah, let's take that one. 啊,在这里, 就要这个。
(Laughter) (大家笑)
You see, cowboys and French farce people don't go well together, and the system knows that. 你们看,牛仔来了 那个法国搞笑片的角色就走了,系统知道他们在一起搞不来。
farce:n.闹剧;胡闹;笑剧;
Let me leave with one final thought, and that is that one of the greatest English language writers of the last three decades suggested that great art is always a gift. 让我最后再谈一个想法, 就是 过去三十年一个最伟大的 英语作家说的, 伟大的艺术和造诣是需要天赋的。
And he wasn't talking about whether the novel costs 24.95 [dollars], or whether you have to spring 70 million bucks to buy the stolen Vermeer; he was talking about the circumstances of its creation and of its existence. 他谈的不是一本小说的价钱是24.95美元, 还是维米尔(Vermeer)的流失的名画 价值7000万美元, 而是它们的创造过程 和存在于社会的意义。
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数) creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物;
And I think that it's time that we asked for the same from technology . 我认为,现在也正是我们 应该向科学技术提出同样的要求的时候。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Technology is capable of expressing and being imbued with a certain generosity , and we need to demand that, in fact. 科学技术 有表达的能力,也能够 慷慨地为人所用, 实际上我们应该向技术要求这个。
expressing:v.表示;表达;表露;显而易见;(express的现在分词) imbued:vt.灌输;使感染;使渗透; generosity:n.慷慨,大方;宽宏大量;
For some of this kind of technology, ground center is a combination of design, which is crucially important. 对于一些类似这种技术, 它的核心是 设计的组合,这是极为重要的。
combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; crucially:adv.关键地;至关重要地;
We can't have advances in technology any longer unless design is integrated from the very start. 我们不可能在技术上有任何的进步, 除非在最开始就把设计集成在研发过程中,
integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词)
And, as well, as of efficacy , agency . 以及功效和途径。
efficacy:n.功效,效力; agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
We're, as human beings, the creatures that create, and we should make sure that our machines aid us in that task and are built in that same image. 我们,作为人类,有创造力的生物, 应该确保机器能在这方面帮助我们, 并且按照人的形像来设计和制造机器。
creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
So I will leave you with that. Thank you. 那么我今天就讲到这里。谢谢大家。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Chris Anderson: So to ask the obvious question -- actually this is from Bill Gates -- when? (John Underkoffler: When?) 克里斯?安德森:我来问一个直白的问题 ——实际上是比尔?盖茨问的—— 什么时候? (约翰?安德可夫勒:什么时候?)
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
CA: When real? When for us, not just in a lab and on a stage? 克里斯?安德森:什么时候我们大家都能用上?不只是在实验室或者在这样的讲台上?
Can it be for every man, or is this just for corporations and movie producers? 这个界面是每个个人都能用上的还是只给企业和电影公司的?
corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式);
JU: No, it has to be for every human being. 约翰?安德可夫勒:当然是每个人都能用上的。
That's our goal entirely. 这是我们的整个目标。
We won't have succeeded unless we take that next big step. 我们要获得成功, 就必须迈出下一个重要的一步。
I mean it's been 25 years. 我的意思是我们已经研究了25年了,
Can there really be only one interface? There can't. 难道真的只能有一种用户界面?当然不是。
CA: But does that mean that, at your desk or in your home, you need projectors , cameras? 克里斯?安德森:但是这是否意味着在办公桌或家里, 你需要有投影机,数码相机?
projectors:n.放映机(projector复数);幻灯机投影机;
You know, how can it work? 对吧,怎么普及这个界面?
JU: No, this stuff will be built into the bezel of every display. 约翰?安德可夫勒:不用,这个界面会集成到每个显示屏,
bezel:n.刀具的刃角;宝石的斜面;遮光板;斜视规;vt.把…切成或磨成斜面;
It'll be built into architecture . 与计算机系统成为一体。
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
The gloves go away in a matter of months or years. 在几个月或几年之后就不用手套了。
So this is the inevitability about it. 这是毫无疑问的。
inevitability:n.必然性;不可逃避;
CA: So, in your mind, five years time, someone can buy this as part of a standard computer interface? 克里斯?安德森:那么,你觉得5年之后, 这个东西会是 一个普通计算机界面的一部分?
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
JU: I think in five years time when you buy a computer, you'll get this. 约翰?安德可夫勒:我认为五年之后你买电脑 就会得到这样的界面。
CA: Well that's cool. 克里斯?安德森:嗯,这还不错。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
The world has a habit of surprising us as to how these things are actually used. 这个世界经常会产生一些让我们意想不到的方式来使用这之类的东西。
What do you think, what in your mind is the first killer app for this? 你觉得,在你的脑袋里面,这个界面的第一个最火爆的应用会是什么?
JU: That's a good question, and we ask ourselves that every day. 约翰?安德可夫勒:这是一个很好的问题,我们也每天问自己这个问题。
At the moment, our early-adopter customers -- and these systems are deployed out in the real world -- do all the big data intensive , data heavy problems with it. 目前,我们的早期客户, 他们在现实世界中用这个系统, 用它来做各种各样数据密集型的数据处理问题,
deployed:v.部署(deploy的过去式);展开; intensive:adj.加强的;集中的;透彻的;加强语气的;n.加强器;
So, whether it's logistics and supply chain management or natural gas and resource extraction , financial services, pharmaceuticals , bioinformatics , those are the topics right now, but that's not a killer app. 包括供应链管理中的物流, 天然气等资源开采, 金融服务,制药,生物信息,等等, 这些都是现在的应用,但是并不是火爆的杀手级应用。
supply chain:n.供应链; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; natural gas:n.天然气; resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); extraction:n.取出;抽出;拔出;抽出物;出身; financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; pharmaceuticals:n.药物(pharmaceutical的复数); bioinformatics:n.生物信息学;生物资讯;
And I understand what you're asking. 我明白你问的是什么。
CA: C'mon, c'mon. Martial arts, games. C'mon. 克里斯?安德森:直说吧,武术,游戏。坦白吧。
Martial:adj.军事的;战争的;尚武的;
(Laughter) (大家笑)
John, thank you for making science-fiction real. 约翰,非常感谢你把科幻做成真实。
JU: It's been a great pleasure. 约翰?安德可夫勒:很高兴做这个演讲。
Thank you to you all. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (鼓掌)