返回首页

JohnMarshall_2021T-_讨的论气候变化的三项有效策略_

I often have this strange thought that aliens come down to Earth to check us out. 我经常有个奇异的想法: 如果外星人来地球拜访我们,
They beam up a hundred scientists and they ask them, "What's going on on your planet?" 把一百位科学家吸入飞船问道: “你的星球怎么了?”
And the aliens quickly learn something: that all of these scientists have concluded that pollution from our industrial activity is irreversibly heating the earth in a way that will make it very hard for us to live here safely. 它们很快会发现 所有科学家的结论都是 工业活动的污染 正在不可逆转得加热地球, 将使人类难以安全生存。
down to Earth:实际的; beam:n.光线; v.发射(电波); concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式) industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票; irreversibly:adv.不可逆地;
Then they do the same thing, but this time they beam up another 100 people, and they're not scientists, they're regular people like us. 当外星人同样地 把一百位普通市民吸入飞船, 而他们不是科学家, 是与你我一样的普通市民,
They could count on one hand how many of those people would even mention climate change. 它们用五根手指就能记录 提起气候变化的人数。
Two or three dozen of them may never have even heard the term. 也许会有二,三十人 甚至不曾听过这个词。
And among the Americans in the group, only one in four would be highly concerned about the issue . 其中的美国人, 每四人中只有一人 会担忧此事。
The aliens, I think, would be shocked. 我认为外星人会感到非常震惊。
on one hand:一方面; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
'"Why don't people know what's happening or how bad it is? “为何人类对气候变化 其严重性毫无头绪?”
Someone should tell them!" “应该有人告诉他们!”
The absurdity of the situation is so clear and so real. 这种荒谬是如此地清晰和真实。
What we have here is a failure to communicate. 面对气候变化, 我们的沟通非常失败。
My job is to educate people about climate change. 我的工作是教育大家有关气候变化。
So I look at the concepts, the messages, the images and the terms, and I test them with millions of people. 因此我搜查了相关的 概念、信息、图像和术语, 再将它们测试于数百万人。
absurdity:n.荒谬;谬论;荒谬的言行; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
I'd like to tell you what I'm learning. 我想告诉你们 我的发现。
For so many people, climate change seems abstract , distant , too big to imagine. 对很多人来说, 气象变化是抽象、遥远的, 大得无法想像。
The words we often use to describe it -- emissions , CO2, methane , net zero, anthropogenic -- are, simply put, confusing . 我们经常用来形容它的词汇,如: 排放量,二氧化碳, 甲烷,净零,人为-- 简单来说,这些术语令人困惑。
Not that many people wake up in the morning and say, "It's a great day for some decarbonisation ." 没有多少人会清晨起床说: “今天是脱碳化的好日子。”
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要; distant:adj.遥远的;远处的;久远的; describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) methane:n.[有化]甲烷;[能源]沼气; anthropogenic:adj.人为的;[人类]人类起源的; confusing:adj.令人困惑; v.使糊涂; (confuse的现在分词) decarbonisation:n.脱碳;
These words become obstacles rather than gateways to understanding, let alone caring. 这些词汇并不能让我们 了解气候变化, 他们阻碍我们,更别说关心了。
The way to fix this failure to communicate is to start not by talking about the issue, but to start with people, to think first about individuals , the people who have millions of other things on their mind, a million worries and challenges and hopes and aspirations . 解决这个沟通失败的方法 不是从探讨问题开始, 而是从人开始, 先从个人开始思考, 那些脑子里有成千上万其他事情的人, 成千上万的担忧、 挑战、希望和抱负。
obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式) let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); aspirations:n.愿望;
Climate change is one of the biggest threats humanity has ever faced, and we won't face it, not to the degree that's necessary, if people don't care. 气候变化是人类有史以来 面临的最大威胁之一, 如果人们不在乎, 我们则没法正视问题, 无法面对它。
The people-first approach to climate communications demands three simple things. 为气候信息通报 实施以人为本的方法 需要三个简单条件:
The first one is plain, obvious and universal language. 第一是简单明了的共同语言。
One thing for sure people don't readily get -- carbon emissions, net zero -- are most terms that can be found in a science book. 可以肯定的是, 人们不会轻易了解 二氧化碳排放或净零, 这些在科学书中可以找到的术语。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; people-first:以人为本; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; readily:adv.容易地;乐意地;无困难地;
And frankly, to the uninitiated , much of it doesn't really sound that bad. 坦率地说,对外行人来说, 这些词听起来并没那么糟
'"Two degrees warmer in 50 years," 比如说:“50 年内升温两度”,
or it sounds so bad, you can't even get your head around it -- "1.2 trillion tons of ice." 或是听起太过糟糕 让人们摸不着头脑, 比如“1.2 万亿吨冰。”
Confusion and hopelessness are the enemies of understanding. 迷惑和绝望是对 了解一件事情的敌人。
uninitiated:adj.不知情的;缺少经验的; trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; Confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘; hopelessness:n.绝望,无望;不抱希望;
A good test for language is, what pops into your head when you hear it. 一个好的语言测试是, 当你听到此事时,脑海中会想起什么?
If you hear a term like "climate change," what pops into your head? 如果你听到 ”气候变化“ 这一术语, 你会想到什么?
Well, for most people, the answer is "not much." 对大多数人来说, 答案是 “想不到什么”。
The language isn't vivid . 这语言不生动。
What we need is vivid language that everyone gets. 我们需要的是每个人 都能明白的生动语言。
It's remarkable how many people actually confuse climate change with the ozone hole . 值得注意的是,好多人实际上 十个美国人中, 有超过四人
More than four in 10 Americans think the ozone hole actually causes global warming . 十个美国人中, 有超过四人 认为全球变暖是由 臭氧层空洞导致的。
vivid:adj.生动的;鲜明的;鲜艳的; remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的; confuse:v.混同;使迷惑;使糊涂;使更难于理解; ozone hole:n.臭氧洞; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
And so many of them remember and understand so much about ozone depletion . 而其中非常多人对臭氧层耗竭 有着很多的了解和记忆。
Why is that? 为什么?
Because it's a hole, it's a layer . 因为它是个洞,是一层臭氧。
People can see it, imagine it, relate to it. 人们可以看到它, 想像它,与它产生直接关联。
It uses simple metaphor that's an instant get. 它是个简单的比喻, 让人茅塞顿开。[03:04]
depletion:n.消耗;损耗;放血; layer:n.层,层次; vt.把…分层堆放; vi.形成或分成层次; metaphor:n.暗喻,隐喻;比喻说法; instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas";
Here's a little story that gets a similar "aha" 我们来个对气候变化
for climate change. 带出类似 “噢!” 的故事。
Humans have been on Earth for about 300,000 years, but we've only started polluting like this in about the last 60. 人类在地球上活了大约 30 万年, 但我们从 60 年前 才开始如此污染地球。
Our pollution stays in the air for thousands of years, creating a thickening blanket that traps heat in the atmosphere . 我们造成的污染在 空气中停留了数千年, 形成一层厚厚的毯子, 将热量困在大气层里。
That heat causes stronger hurricanes , bigger fires, more frequent floods and the extinction of thousands of species . 热量导致更强大的暴风雨、 更大的火灾、更频繁的洪水、 和数千物种的灭绝。
But there's good news. 但是有个好消息。
To stop the pollution blanket, we just have to stop polluting. 为了停止污染毯子, 我们只需要停止污染。
thickening:n.增厚;增稠剂,[食品]芡粉;稠化;v.使变厚;变浓(thicken的现在分词); traps:n.陷阱,捕捉器; v.使落入险境; (trap的第三人称单数和复数) atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; hurricanes:n.[气象]飓风(hurricane的复数); frequent:adj.频繁的;经常发生的;v.常到(某处); extinction:n.绝种; species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
This "pollution blanket" framing is one of the most effective we've tested at getting people to understand the issue. 这个 “污染毯子” 的框架经测试 是让人们了解气候变化问题 最有效的的方法之一。
It's visual , it's vivid, and when people hear the message, they become significantly more engaged . 它具有视觉和生动力, 当人们听到这个消息后 会变得更加投入。
They get it. 他们明白了。
There are so many other regular speak words and concepts that stick with people. 有很多其他日常词语和概念 是与人们息息相关的。
framing:v.给…做框;作伪证陷害;制订;拟订;n.框架;结构;骨骼;(frame的现在分词) effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地; engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
Instead of "warming," 与其用 “变暖”,
try " overheating ." 不如尝试 “过热”。
Instead of "climate," talk about " extreme weather." 与其用 “气候”, 不如说 “极端天气”。
When mentioning "clean energy," 当提到 “清洁能源“,
you might say "cheap energy" as well, as it's rapidly becoming cheap. 你也可以说 “廉价能源”, 因为它正迅速变得便宜。
overheating:n.[热]过热;v.[热]过热(overheat的ing形式); extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
The word " irreversible " really gets people's attention, as the pollution certainly is. “不可逆转” 这个词汇 非常引人注目, 因为污染肯定也如此。
And if you absolutely must talk about temperature increases and you live in the US, heck , use Fahrenheit for goodness sake . 如果你绝对要谈论温度升高 而你是住在美国的话, 看在老天爷的份上, 请用华氏度!
It doubles the severity . 它能使严重性加倍。
'"Nine degrees during your kid's lifetime" sounds pretty serious. “你孩子人生中的 9 华氏度” 听起来很严重。
irreversible:adj.不可逆的;不能取消的;不能翻转的; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; heck:n.(英口)同"hell",表示略微烦恼或吃惊; Fahrenheit:adj.华氏的;华氏温度计的;n.华氏温度计;华氏温标; sake:n.目的;利益;理由;日本米酒; severity:n.严重;严格;猛烈;
'"One point five degrees Celsius to meet the Paris Accord " is pretty ignorable . “0.5 摄氏度才能满足巴黎协定” 则听起来非常微不足道。
This is about going beyond arcane policy language into language that we all intuitively get. 这是关于超越少数人 能明白的政策语言 将它们转化为 人们凭直觉就能懂的语言。
That's the first step: understanding. 这就是第一步:认知。
But understanding without relevance is rudderless . 但没有相关性的认知是迷茫的。
Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度; Accord:n.协议;协定;一致;和谐;v.一致;给予;相符;协调; ignorable:adj.可忽略的,可忽视的; arcane:adj.神秘的;晦涩难解的;秘传的; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; intuitively:adv.直观地;直觉地; relevance:n.关联;适当;中肯; rudderless:adj.无舵的;无指导者的;
So the second key then is to make climate feel like something that matters to you, to your life, individually and personally . 因此,第二个关键 是将气候变化变成 对你个人生活特别重要的一件事。
Nobody has an epiphany about policy proposals . 没有人会对政策建议产生顿悟。
Awakenings are personal. 觉醒是个人的。
They have local relevance. 它们具有地方相关性。
They're about your life and your concerns . 它们是关于你的生活和你的顾虑。[04:45]
individually:adv.个别地,单独地; personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟; proposals:n.建议书(Proposal的复数);求婚; Awakenings:无语问苍天(电影名); concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
As an example, we presented two messages to a few thousand people in Florida. 举个例子,我们将以下两条信息 展示给几千位在佛罗里达的居民。
One asked them "to demand that we get to zero emissions to stop climate change." 其中一个要求他们 “诉求实现零排放,以阻止气候变化。”
Another simply said, "Stop my flooding." 另一条则简单地写道: “阻止我们所受的洪灾“。
The latter message was over four times more effective in getting their attention. 后者信息得到了人们四倍以上的关注。
Local flooding was so much more relevant than global warming. 比起全球变暖, 当地洪灾与居民更相关。
What's needed isn't better policy descriptions , but rather deeper, more personal connections. 我们需要的 不是更好的政策说明, 而是更深、更多的个人联系。
Here's another example. 我再给个例子。
latter:adj.后者的;近来的;后面的;较后的; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的; descriptions:n.摘要;说明,说明书;描述(description的复数形式);
We work with a team of remarkable women climate scientists to help elevate their voice as messengers . 我们与一群杰出的女性气候科学家合作, 以帮助放大她们 作为信使的声音。
They've dedicated their careers to studying the issue, developing complex computational models to understand the Arctic processes , and climbing into planes to measure nitrogen in wildfire smoke. 她们致力于研究气候这个问题: 研发复杂的计算模型 来了解北极的进程; 还会乘飞机测量野火烟雾中的氮。
elevate:vt.提升;举起;振奋情绪等;提升…的职位; messengers:n.东京速递(电视剧); dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式); complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; computational:adj.计算的; Arctic:adj.北极的;北极地区的;极冷的;严寒的;n.北极;北极地区; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); nitrogen:n.氮;氮气; wildfire:n.火灾;磷火,鬼火;散布极快的事物;
They could tell you everything you need to know about the science, but what we asked them about was why they study it. 他们可以告诉你 所有你需要知道的科学知识, 但当问他们 为什么研究气候变化时,
And they told us about their daughters and their sons, about wanting to keep the world safe and healthy and vibrant for their children. 他们谈到了自己的儿女, 谈到了想要把一个安全、 健康和蓬勃生机的世界 留给他们的孩子。
And when we shared these personal stories with other parents, they started to care far more deeply about climate change than they did from staring at charts of global temperatures. 当我们和其他父母 分享这些个人故事时, 相比盯着全球气温图表, 他们会因此更关心气候变化,
vibrant:adj.振动的;充满生气的;响亮的;战栗的; staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
People see a parent who's dedicated their life to creating a better world for their child. 大家会看到 父母为了孩子 贡献了一生来制造 更美好的世界。
Every parent can relate to that. 这是每位父母都可以关联到的。
It matters to me. 这对我很重要。
The right messages are those that connect climate change to personal identity . 正确的信息可以把 气候变化和个人身份链接起来。
Our life -- not future lives, not the world -- our community , not necessarily environmentalism -- our values, and not just children -- our child. 我们的生活, 不是未来的人们。 不是全世界, 而是我们的社区。 不一定是环保主义, 而是我们的价值观。 而不只是孩子们, 是我们的孩子。
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; environmentalism:n.环境保护论;
Finally , the third key to the climate communications puzzle to show that climate change is an issue for people like me: 最后,解决气候变化 沟通之谜的第三个关键是 表明气候变化对 像我这样的人来说是一个问题:
Humans are social animals, and that's true for how we form our beliefs, too. 人类是社交动物, 我们形成观念的方式也是如此。
You can present the exact same message to many people, but when it comes from someone with a similar accent or background, we see double-digit increases in message effectiveness . 你可以把相同的信息 展示给众人, 但当这些信息来自 有着相同口音和背景的人时, 我们发现信息的有效性 有两位数的增长。
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑; accent:n.口音;重音;强调;特点;重音符号;v.强调;重读;带…口音讲话; double-digit:adj.两位数的; effectiveness:n.效力;
Here's an unexpected messenger who really lands the point. 还有一位出乎意料的信使, 他真正抓住了重点。
A guy we call Florida man. 我们称他为“佛州哥”。
He's a resident of North Florida who got into a little trouble with the law after taking an alligator into a convenience store when he was on a beer run. 他是佛罗里达北部的居民, 在购买啤酒的时候 因把鳄鱼带进便利店 在法律上惹了点小麻烦
unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的; resident:adj.居住的;住院医师;定居的;n.居民; alligator:n.短吻鳄;钝吻鳄 convenience store:n.便利商店;
Not exactly the most obvious climate change messenger yet when he appeared in an internet ad describing in his own way how he's worried about his way of life, it significantly increased climate concern among young conservative men in Florida. 他不是最明显的气候变化使者, 表达他对自己生活的担忧时, 佛罗里达州年轻保守的男性 对气候的关注显着增加了。
Most people don't see themselves as " environmentalists " per se , and they see climate change as an "environmentalist issue." 大多数人不会把自己视为 “环保主义者”, 他们也会将气候变化视为 “环保主义者的问题”。
But messages that break away from those narrow identity markers make the issue relatable. 但当这些信息 脱离狭隘身份标记时, 它会使问题具有相关性。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者; environmentalists:n.环保人士;环保主义者;(environmentalist的复数形式) per se:adv.本身;本质上; narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; markers:n.(表示方位的)标记,记号;标识;表示;记号笔;(marker的复数)
They give people a reason to care. 它让人们有了在乎的理由。
So the core idea is that instead of explaining the issue at people, it's essential to bring people into the issue, so that they say, "I get it. 所以核心思想是, 与其向人们解释问题, 不如将人们带入问题中, 让他们说:“我明白了。”
It matters to me. “这对我很重要。”
It matters to people like me." “对像我这样的人来说很重要。”
Then and only then are we primed to take action. 只有在那时, 我们才可以准备好采取行动。
If the intelligent aliens in my story were also intelligent at communications, they would say to us, "Hey, Earthlings , pay attention, you're building up a massive blanket of pollution that's overheating your home. 如果我故事里聪慧的外星人 在沟通方面也很聪明, 它们会告诉我们, “嘿,地球人,注意! 你们正创造着一个极大的污染毯子 使你们的家过热。[07:18]
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; primed:adj.待发的;v.使准备好;装填;使泵起动;涂底漆;修剪树枝(prime的过去分词); intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的 Earthlings:n.世人,俗人;凡人(earthling的复数形式); massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
And it's going to hurt the people and the things that you love. 它将伤害你的所爱的人与物。
You did this and you can fix it." 这是你导致的,但你可以修复它。”
We simply have to let our fellow eight billion inhabitants of our home know what's happening. 我们只需要 让家中的八亿居民 正在发生的事情。
We have no choice. 我们没有选择。
And when we do, we'll achieve the public will necessary to take on this colossal but winnable fight for our future. 但当我们有, 我们将达到必要的民意, 为我们的未来打下 这场巨大但必胜的战斗。
Thank you. 谢谢。
inhabitants:n.居民(inhabitant的复数); colossal:adj.巨大的;异常的,非常的; winnable:adj.能赢得的;可成功的;