返回首页

JohnMaeda_2008P-_约翰_梅达的设计之_

I'm kind of tired of talking about simplicity , actually, so I thought I'd make my life more complex , as a serious play. 我今天不太想谈论简约主义 那就把我的生活变得复杂些 让它严肃一点
simplicity:n.朴素;简易;天真;愚蠢; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
So, I'm going to, like, go through some slides from way back when, and walk through them to give you a sense of how I end up here. 接下来 我会播放一些幻灯片 先回到从前 然后向你们展示我是如何一步一步走到这里
So, basically it all began with this whole idea of a computer. 其实一切都源于 这一个概念 - 计算机.
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Who has a computer? Yeah. 那谁有计算机呢? 嗯.
OK, so, everyone has a computer. 好吧, 每个人都有自己的计算机
Even a mobile phone , it's a computer. 甚至一部手机也算是台计算机
mobile phone:移动电话
And -- anyone remember this workbook , " Instant Activities for Your Apple" -- free poster in each book? 那.. 谁还记得这本操作手册 充分利用你的苹果电脑 -- 每本书都附一张免费海报?
workbook:n.工作手册;练习簿; Instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas"; poster:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人;
This was how computing began. 然后计算就开始了
computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
Don't forget: a computer came out; it had no software. 别忘了:计算机刚诞生时,里面并没有软件.
You'd buy that thing, you'd bring it home, you'd plug it in, and it would do absolutely nothing at all. 你买来它, 带它回家, 给它插上电源, 结果它什么事情也做不了.
plug:n.插头;塞子;栓;v.塞住;用插头将与电源接通; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
So, you had to program it, and there were great programming, like, tutorials , like this. 因此, 你还得为它写点程序, 要编程的话是有一些很棒的 教程 比如这个
tutorials:n.教程;专题报告;学习指南(tutorial的复数);
I mean, this was great. 我想说它真的很棒
It's, like, you know, Herbie the Apple II. 这好象是 你知道的 ‘’Herbie教你学苹果二代‘’
It's such a great way to -- 这种书真的很棒—
I mean, they should make Java books like this, and we've have no problem learning a program. 我说 他们真应该把Java书也写成这样 那学编程简直就易如反掌了
But this was a great, grand time of the computer, when it was just a raw, raw, what is it? kind of an era . 当时对计算机来说可真是个好时候 很原始 很初级 就像是 黄金时代
era:n.新时期;纪元;年代;新时代;
And, you see, this era coincided with my own childhood . 然后 大家看 这一时代恰好和我的童年互相重合
coincided:v.同时发生;相同;相符;重叠;(coincide的过去式和过去分词) childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
I grew up in a tofu factory in Seattle . 我在西雅图的一家豆腐厂里长大
Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市);
Who of you grew up in a family business, suffered the torture ? Yes, yes. 在座的有谁是在家庭作坊中长大的? 吃了不少苦? 是的, 是的.
torture:v.折磨;拷问;歪曲;n.折磨;拷问;歪曲;
The torture was good. Wasn't it good torture? 逆境出人才 受点磨难不好么?
It was just life-changing , you know. And so, in my life, you know, I was in the tofu; it was a family business. 磨难能改变你一生 我这一生 你知道的 我在豆腐厂长大 那是一个家庭作坊
life-changing:改变人生的;
And my mother was a kind of a designer, also. 我母亲从某种意义上来说也是设计师
She'd make this kind of, like, wall of tofu cooking, and it would confuse the customers, because they all thought it was a restaurant. 她做了这种 豆腐料理墙 然后顾客们都很疑惑, 因为他们都觉得这是一家餐馆
confuse:v.混同;使迷惑;使糊涂;使更难于理解;
A bad sort of branding thing, or whatever. 品牌形象没弄对 是吧
branding:n.品牌化,品牌术;v.在…上加商标;使显得独一无二(brand的现在分词);
But, anyway, that's where I grew up, in this little tofu factory in Seattle, and it was kind of like this: a small room where I kind of grew up. I'm big there in that picture. 但是, 不管怎样, 我就在这儿长大 这家西雅图的小豆腐作坊 当时大概就这样: 小房间 我在这儿长大 照片里显得我很大
That's my dad. My dad was kind of like MacGyver, really: he would invent, like, ways to make things heavy. 这是我爸爸. 我爸有点像MacGyver, 说真的 他会发明些把东西变重的方法
Like back here, there's like, concrete block technology here, and he would need the concrete blocks to press the tofu, because tofu is actually kind of a liquidy type of thing, and so you have to have heavy stuff to push out the liquid and make it hard. 比如这后面 有一个水泥块 他需要用这些水泥块来挤压豆腐 因为豆腐其实是有点像液体的东西, 所以你得用沉的东西 把水分挤出来 把它弄结实
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
Tofu comes out in these big batches , and my father would sort of cut them by hand. 豆腐出来时很大一块 然后我爸就会用手把它们切开.
batches:一批(batch的名词复数);
I can't tell you -- family business story: you'd understand this -- my father was the most sincere man possible. 这个不能说 家族机密了 大家都理解的 我的父亲是世上最实在的人了
sincere:adj.真诚的;诚挚的;真实的;
He walked into a Safeway once on a rainy day , slipped , broke his arm, rushed out: he didn't want to inconvenience Safeway. 一次下雨天他走进一家喜互惠超市 滑倒 手骨折了 马上跑出来 他不想给喜互惠添麻烦
rainy day:雨天;穷困时期; slipped:adj.打滑的;v.滑倒;滑落;脱落;(slip的过去分词和过去式) inconvenience:n.不便;麻烦;困难;带来不便者;;v.给(某人)造成不便(或带来麻烦);
So, instead, you know, my father's, like, arm's broken for two weeks in the store, and that week -- now, those two weeks were when my older brother and I had to do everything. 结果 我把的手就断了 两个星期 整整两星期 我和我哥哥就不得不在店里 帮忙做所有事
And that was torture, real torture. 这可真是苦 真苦啊
Because, you see, we'd seen my father taking the big block of tofu and cutting it, like, knife in, zap, zap, zap. We thought, wow. 再来说 我爸 把那么一大块豆腐切开 像刀切一样 嚓 嚓 嚓 “哇哦~”
So, the first time I did that, I went, like, whoa! Like this. 而我第一次切的时候就像这样 “唔哦..”
Bad blocks. But anyways, the tofu to me was kind of my origin , basically. 报废了 不过不管咋说 豆腐就像我的根 基本上
origin:n.起源;起因;源头;出身;
And because working in a store was so hard, 在店里工作实在太苦
I liked going to school; it was like heaven. 我就很喜欢上学 学校简直就是天堂
And I was really good at school. 在学校我表现也很好
So, when I got to MIT, you know, as most of you who are creatives , your parents all told you not to be creative, right? 然后 我考上了麻省理工 大家知道的 和在座大部分创意人士一样 你们的父母都阻断过您的创意之路 是吧?
creatives:n.创意人员(creative的复数);
So, same way, you know, 所以 都一样的
I was good at art and good at math, and my father says, he's -- 我美术很好 数学也好 我爸就说
John's good at math. 约翰的数学最好了
I went to MIT, did my math, but I had this wonderful opportunity, because computers had just become visual . 那我去了麻省理工 学数学 直到我遇到这个绝佳机会 计算机开始变得视觉化
visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的;
The Apple -- Macintosh just came out; 苹果电脑正好问世了
Macintosh:n.苹果公司生产的一种型号的计算机;
I had a Mac in hand when I went to MIT. 我去MIT时就拥有一台苹果电脑
And it was a time when a guy who, kind of, could cross the two sides -- it was a good time. 那当时对于一个可以 横跨两个领域的人来说 是很好的机遇
And so, I remember that my first major piece of software was on a direct copy of then-Aldus PageMaker. 结果 我记得我第一个重要的软件 是直接模仿当时的 Aldus PageMaker
I made a desktop publishing system way back when, and that was, kind of, my first step into figuring out how to -- oh, these two sides are kind of fun to mix. 我做了一个在桌面出版系统 由此我在第一次了解到 嗯 融合这两方面挺有趣的
desktop publishing:n.桌上排版(用微型电脑和打印机从事出版业务);
And the problem when you're younger -- for all you students out there -- is, your head gets kind of big really easy. 而对于年轻人来说有个问题 在做的各位学生记好了 -- 就是 你非常容易自我膨胀
And when I was making icons, I was, like, the icon master, and I was, like, yeah, I'm really good at this, you know. 当我设计图标的时候 我就像是 图标之王 然后我就说 是啊 我真的很在行
And then luckily, you know, 然后很幸运地
I had the fortune of going to something called a library, and in the library I came upon this very book. 我有幸去了某个地方——图书馆 在图书馆里我遇到了这本书
fortune:n.财富;命运;运气;v.给予财富,偶然发生
I found this book. It's called, "Thoughts on Design," by a man named Paul Rand. 我找到了这本书 它叫做 设计的思考 是一个叫做保罗·兰德的人写的
It's a little slim volume; I'm not sure if you've seen this. 它的出版量有点小; 不知你们见过没有
slim:adj.苗条的;纤细的;单薄的;微薄的;n.(非洲用语)艾滋病;v.减肥;
It's a very nice little book. It's about this guy, Paul Rand, who was one of the greatest graphic designers, and also a great writer as well. 很好的一本小书 关于这个人的 保罗·兰德 当时最杰出的平面设计师之一 书也写得及很不错
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的;
And when I saw this man's work, 当我看到此人作品时
I realized how bad I was at design, or whatever I called it back then, and I suddenly had a kind of career goal, kind of in hot pursuit . 我才意识到我自己在设计上多么糟糕 不管当时我怎么说的吧 突然我就有了某种职业目标 追求的欲望还很强烈
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; pursuit:n.追求;追赶;追捕;跟踪;
So I kind of switched. I went to MIT, finished. 这是个比较重要的转变 我去了MIT 念完了
I got my masters,and then went to art school after that. 拿到硕士学位 又去了艺术学校
And just began to design stuff, like chopstick wrappers , napkins , menus -- whatever I could get a handle on: sort of wheel-and-deal, move up in the design world, whatever. 开始设计些东西 比如筷子包装 餐巾 菜单 -- 任何我可以得到的机会 有点横冲直撞 呆头呆脑地在设计路上前进 随便了
chopstick:n.筷子; wrappers:n.封装器;面皮(wrapper的复数形式); napkins:n.餐巾;餐巾纸;(napkin的复数) handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
And isn't it that strange moment when you publish your design? 发表设计作品的时候你们有没有觉得奇怪过?
Remember that moment -- publishing your designs? 还记得那个时刻吗 -- 发表自己的设计?
Remember that moment? It felt so good, didn't it? 记得那一刻吗? 感觉特好, 是不是?
So, I was published, you know, so, wow, my design's in a book, you know? 是的 我的设计出版了 哇哦 我的设计被发表在一本书中了耶
After that, things kind of got strange, and I got thinking about the computer, because the computer to me always, kind of, bothered me. 之后 事情就有点怪怪的了 我开始思考计算机这个东西 因为计算机总是会让我犯糊涂
bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼;
I didn't quite get it. And Paul Rand was a kind of crusty designer, you know, a crusty designer, like a good -- kind of like a good French bread ? 我并不十分理解它 而Paul Rand 是个有些暴躁的设计师 懂么 暴躁的设计师 就像是一块.. 好的法国面包?
crusty:adj.易怒的;执拗的;有壳的;像外壳一样的; French bread:n.法式面包棒;
You know, he wrote in one of his books: "A Yale student once said, 'I came here to learn how to design, not how to use a computer.' 他的一本书中写道: 一名耶鲁的学生曾说 *我来到这儿是学设计的 不是学怎么使用计算机的*
Design schools take heed ." 设计学校当心了。
heed:v.注意;留心;听从(劝告或警告);n.注意;留心;
This is in the '80s, in the great clash of computer/non-computer people. 当时是80年代 支持和反对计算机的人讨论得正激烈
clash:v.冲突; n.冲突;
A very difficult time, actually. 那段时间其实很难熬
And this to me was an important message from Rand. 对我来说这是Rand给我的重要信息
And so I began to sort of mess with the computer at the time. 于是我开始捣鼓计算机
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
This is the first sort of play thing I did, my own serious play. 这是我的第一次玩儿的东西, 我自己的严肃玩意儿
I built a working version of an Adobe Illustrator-ish thing. 我做了一个类似Adobe Illustrator的实用程序
Adobe:n.(建筑用)黏土;黏土坯;adj.用砖坯砌的;
It looks like Illustrator; it can, like, draw. 它看起来很像Illustrator 它可以 比如 画图
It was very hard to make this, actually. 做这个其实挺难的
It took a month to make this part. 做这部分花了一个月时间
And then I thought, what if I added this feature, where I can say, this point, you can fly like a bird. You're free, kind of thing. 然后我想, 要是加这样一个功能会怎样呢 比如我可以说 这个点 你可以像鸟一样飞 你自由了 那意思
what if:如果…怎么办?
So I could, sort of, change the kind of stability with a little control there on the dial, and I can sort of watch it flip around. 所以我可以 好像 改变稳定性 利用一个控制盘上的小控件 我就可以看它翻来翻去.
stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心; flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
And this is in 1993. 当是是1993年
And when my professors saw this, they were very upset at me. 我的教授们看到这个时 都生气极了
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
They were saying, Why's it moving? 他们说 为什么它要动?
They were saying, Make it stop now. 他们说 马上让它停下来
Now, I was saying, Well, that's the whole point: it's moving. 我就说 嗯 这才是一切的重点:让它动。
And he says, Well, when's it going to stop? 然后他说 那么 它什么时候停下来?
And I said, Never. 我说 永远不
And he said, Even worse. Stop it now. 然后他说 这更糟 现在就停下来
I started studying this whole idea, of like, what is this computer? It's a strange medium . 我开始研究这整个概念 这个叫计算机的东西是什么? 它是一个很奇怪的媒介
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
It's not like print. It's not like video. 它不像印刷 也不像视频
It lasts forever. It's a very strange medium. 它持续永久 一种很奇怪的媒介
So, I went off with this, and began to look for things even more. 所以 我从这个开始 并且开始开始寻找更多的东西
And so in Japan, I began to experiment with people. 所以 在日本 我开始做与人相关的试验
This is actually bad: human experiments. 其实这不太好: 人类试验
I would do these things where I'd have students become pens: there's blue pen, red pen, green pen, black pen. 我会做这样的事情, 让学生当笔: 这是蓝笔, 红笔, 绿笔, 黑笔.
And someone sits down and draws a picture. 然后一个人坐下来 画一副画
They're laughing because he said, draw from the middle-right to the middle, and he kind of messed up. 他们在笑 因为他说 从中间靠右画到中间 然后他搞错了
messed:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺(mess的过去分词和过去式)
See, humans don't know how to take orders; the computer's so good at it. 看 人类不知道如何接收命令 计算机却很在行
This guy figured out how to get the computer to draw with two pens at once: you know, you, pen, do this; and you, pen, do this. 这个人解决出了怎么让这个计算机用两支笔同时画: 你知道 你, 笔, 做这个; 然后 你, 笔, 做这个.
And so began to have multiple pens on the page -- again, hard to do with our hands. 所以开始在纸上有了多支笔 -- 仍然, 用我们的手很难做.
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
And then someone discovered this "a-ha moment" 然后一个人发现这个 啊哈时刻
where you could use coordinate systems. 就是你可以利用坐标系统.
coordinate:n.坐标; v.协调; adj.同等的;
We thought, ah, this is when it's going to happen. 我们想, 哈, 这样问题就迎刃而解了.
In the end, he drew a house. It was the most boring thing. 到最后, 他画了一座房子. 这事最无聊了
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
It became computerish; we began to think computerish -- the X, Y system -- and so that was kind of a revelation . 太计算机化了 我们开始像计算机一样思考 -- X, Y系统 -- 有点革命性
revelation:n.披露; adj.暴露的;
And after this I wanted to build a computer out of people, called a human-powered computer. 在这之后我又想用人建造一台计算机, 叫做人力计算机.
So, this happened in 1993. 这是在1993年.
Sound down, please. 请调低声音.
It's a computer where the people are the parts. 这是一台计算机, 人就是计算机部件.
I have behind this wall a disk drive , a CPU, a graphics card , a memory system. 在这面墙后面是一个存储器 一个CPU 一个图形卡 一个存储系统
disk drive:n.磁盘驱动器; graphics card:n.图形卡;图像适配卡;显示卡;
They're picking up a giant floppy disk made of cardboard . 他们正在搬起一张巨大的用纸板做的软盘
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 floppy disk:n.软盘;软磁盘; cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的;
It's put inside the computer. 它被放到计算机中
And that little program's on that cardboard disk. 那个小程序被输入到那张纸板盘中
So, she wears the disk, and reads the data off the sectors of the disk, and the computer starts up; it sort of boots up, really. 然后 她穿着盘 从盘上的分段中读出数据 然后计算机开始运行 启动起来
sectors:n.部门; v.把…划成扇形;
And it's a sort of a working computer. And when I built this computer, 这有点像一台工作着的计算机 我建造这个计算机时
I had a moment of -- what is it called? -- the epiphany where I realized that the computer's just so fast. 在某一个刻突然 -- 怎么说? -- 顿悟了 我意识到计算机真是太快了
epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
This computer appears to be fast - she's working pretty hard, and people are running around, and we think, wow, this is happening at a fast rate. 这台计算机看起来挺快 - 她干得很卖力 大家都跑来跑去 我们想 哇 它正在很快地运行
And this computer's programmed to do only one thing, which is, if you move your mouse, the mouse changes on the screen. 这台计算机只被编程做一件事 就是 当你移动鼠标的时候 屏幕上的鼠标就发生改变
On the computer, when you move your mouse, that arrow moves around. 在计算机上 你挪动鼠标时 那小箭头跟着动
On this computer, if you move the mouse, it takes half an hour for the mouse cursor to change. 在这台计算机上 如果你挪动鼠标 它会花半小时的时间 来让鼠标箭头改变位置
cursor:n.光标;(计算尺的)[计]游标,指针;
To give you a sense of the speed, the scale : the computer is just so amazingly fast, OK? 让你体会一下速度的量级 计算机真是惊人的快 对吧?
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
And so, after this I began to do experiments for different companies. 在这之后我开始为不同公司做试验
This is something I did for Sony in 1996. 这是我在1996年为索尼做的
It was three Sony "H" devices that responded to sound. 这是三个索尼的H系列的设备 响应声音
devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数); responded:v.回答,回应;作出反应;响应;反应灵敏;(respond的过去式和过去分词)
So, if you talk into the mic, you'll hear some music in your headphones; if you talk in the phone, then video would happen. 如果你对着话筒讲话 你会从耳机中听到一些音乐 如果你对着电话讲话 会显示视频
talk into:说服某人做某事;
So, I began to experiment with industry in different ways with this kind of mixture of skills. 我开始以不同的方式与工业界进行试验 用这种混合的技能
mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体;
I did this ad. I don't believe in this kind of alcohol , but I do drink sometimes. 我做了这广告 我不相信这种酒 但有时会喝
alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料;
And Chanel . So, getting to do different projects. 还有香奈尔 是的 我开始做不同的项目
Chanel:n.香奈儿(法国巴黎的一家著名时装公司)
And also, one thing I realized is that 而且 我意识到一件事
I like to make things. 我喜欢创造
We like to make things. It's fun to make things. 我们都喜欢创造东西 做东西的过程很有趣.
And so I never developed the ability to have a staff. 因此我从不尝试去招募员工
I have no staff; it's all kind of made by hand -- these sort of broken hands. 我没有员工 所有东西都是我亲手所做 -- 这些有点受伤的手
And these hands were influenced by this man, Mr. Inami Neomi. 而影响这双手的 是这个叫Inami Neomi的先生.
influenced:v.影响;对…起作用;支配;左右;(influence的过去分词和过去式)
This guy was my kind of like mentor . 这个人算是我的指导老师
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导;
He was the first digital media producer in Tokyo. 他是东京第一位数字媒体制作人
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
He's the guy that kind of discovered me, and kind of got me going in digital media. 可以说是他发现了我 把我带入数字媒体领域
He was such an inspirational guy. 他是个特别鼓舞人心的人
inspirational:adj.鼓舞人心的;带有灵感的,给予灵感的;
I remember, like, we'd be in his studio , like, at 2 a.m., and then he'd show up from some client meeting. 我记得 我们在他的工作室里 大概早上2点 然后他出现了 刚忙完某个客户会议
studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂; client:n.[经]客户;顾客;委托人;
He'd come in and say, you know, 他会进来说
If I am here, everything is okay. 有我在这 一切都没问题.
And you'd feel so much better, you know. 然后你就会感觉好很多
And I'll never forget how, like, but -- I'll never forget how, like, he had a sudden situation with his -- he had an aneurysm . 我永远不会忘记.. 不会忘记... 他惨遭横祸 -- 会上了动脉瘤.
aneurysm:n.[内科]动脉瘤(等于aneurism);
He went into a coma . 后来就不省人事
coma:n.[医]昏迷;[天]彗形像差;
And so, for three years he was out, and he could only blink , and so I realized at this moment, I thought, wow -- how fragile is this thing we're wearing, this body and mind we're wearing, and so I thought, How do you go for it more? 在他去世前的三年里 他就只能眨眼睛 这一刻我突然意识到 哇啊 我们的躯壳多么的脆弱 我们外在的躯壳与思想多脆弱 我就在想 我要怎么更多地利用它?
blink:vt.眨眼;使…闪烁;vi.眨眼;闪烁;n.眨眼;瞬间;闪光; fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; go for it:努力争取;加油;
How do you take that time you have left and go after it? 你应该如何好好利用剩余的时间?
So, Naomi was pivotal in that. Naomi让我想到了这一点
pivotal:adj.关键的;中枢的;枢轴的;n.关键事物;中心事物;
And so, I began to think more carefully about the computer. 后来 我开始更认真地思考计算机
This was a moment where I was thinking about, so, you have a computer program, it responds to motion -- X and Y -- and I realized that each computer program has all these images inside the program. 这时候我就在想 好, 你有一个计算机程序, 它响应动作 -- X 和 Y -- 我意识到每一个计算机程序 在程序内部都有这些图像
responds:v.(口头或书面)回答,回应;作出反应;响应;(respond的第三人称单数) motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
So, if you can see here, you know, that program you're seeing in the corner, if you spread it out, it's all these things all at once. 如果你能看见这里 在这角落你正在看的程序 如果你把它展开 所有东西同一时间呈现
It's real simultaneity. It's nothing we're used to working with. 真正同时发生的 和我们以前接触的东西都不一样
We're so used to working in one vector . 我们习惯于在一个维度上工作
vector:n.矢量;带菌者;航线;vt.用无线电导航;
This is all at the same time . 而这全部同一时间发生
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
The computer lives in so many dimensions . 计算机处于多元维度中
dimensions:n.规模,大小;
And also, at the same time I was frustrated , because I would go to all these art and design schools everywhere, and there were these, like, "the computer lab," you know, and this is, like, in the late 1990s, and this is in Basel , a great graphic design school. 而且 在那时我还很失望 因为我要到各地的这些艺术和设计学校中去 那儿有那些 计算机实验室 这大概是90年代后期的事 这是在巴塞尔 一家很好的平面设计学校
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词) Basel:n.巴塞尔(瑞士西北部城市,在莱茵河畔);
And here's this, like, dirty, kind of, shoddy , kind of, dark computer room. 这个 脏脏的 有点破旧的 阴暗的计算机房里
shoddy:n.赝品;冒牌货;假装粗俗;adj.假冒的;劣质的;卑劣的;
And I began to wonder, Is this the goal? 我开始琢磨 这就是目标吗?
Is this what we want, you know? 这就是我们要的吗?
And also, I began to be fascinated by machines -- you know, like copy machines -- and so this is actually in Basel. 同时 我开始对机器着迷 -- 比如说,复印机 -- 这是在巴塞尔
I noticed how we spent so much time on making it interactive -- this is, like, a touch screen -- and I noticed how you can only touch five places, and so, "why are we wasting so much interactivity everywhere?" 我注意到我们花了很多时间才令其交互可用 -- 这个 触摸屏 -- 我发现怎么只能触摸五个地方 为什么我们浪费了那么多交互的可能呢?
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备; touch screen:触摸屏; interactivity:n.交互性;互动性;
became a question. And also, the sound: 这是一个问题 还有 声音
I discovered I can make my ThinkPad pretend it's a telephone. 我发现我可以把我的ThinkPad当电话来用
You get it? No? OK. 明白吗? 没有? 好吧
And also, I discovered in Logan airport , this was, like, calling out to me. 另外, 我在Logan机场发现, 这个好像冲我叫喊
airport:n.机场;航空港;
Do you hear that? It's like cows. This is at 4 a.m. at Logan. 你听到了么? 像奶牛似的. 这是早上4点在Logan
So, I was wondering, like, what is this thing in front of me, this computer thing? 我当时想 在我面前的到底是什么东西 这个叫计算机的东西?
It didn't make any sense. 它让人难以理解
So, I began to make things again. This is another series of objects made of old computers from my basement. 所以我又开始做东西了 这是另一个系列的物体 用我地下室的旧电脑做的
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
I made -- I took my old Macintoshes and made different objects out of them from Tokyo. 我做了 -- 用我的几台旧苹果电脑 做了不同的物体
I began to be very disinterested in computers themselves, so I began to make paintings out of PalmPilots. 我开始对计算机本身非常不感兴趣 于是我开始用PalmPilots做成画
disinterested:adj.客观的;公正的;冷漠的;不关心的;
I made this series of works. 我做了这一系列东西
They're paintings I made and put a PalmPilot in the middle as a kind of display that's sort of thinking, 这是我画的画 中间放了个PalmPilot 算是某种展示 某种思考
display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的;
I'm abstract art . What am I? I'm abstract. 我是抽象的艺术. 我是什么? 我是抽象的.
abstract art:n.抽象派;抽象主义;
And so it keeps thinking out loud of its own abstraction . 它一直努力思考自身的抽象性
abstraction:n.抽象;出神;心神专注;提取;分离;
I began to be fascinated by plastic, so I spent four months making eight plastic blocks perfectly optically transparent , as a kind of release of stress. 我开始对塑料着迷 花四个月做了八个塑料立方体 完全透明的 作为一种压力的释放
optically:adv.光学地;眼睛地;视力地; transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
Because of that, I became interested in blue tape, so in San Francisco, at CC, I had a whole exhibition on blue tape. 因为它 我对蓝色胶带产生了兴趣 所以在旧金山, 在CC, 我举办了一个关于蓝色胶带的展览
I made a whole installation out of blue tape -- blue painters' tape. 我用蓝色胶带做了一整个装置 -- 蓝色刷子的胶带
installation:n.安装;设施;设置;安装的设备(或机器);
And at this point my wife kind of got worried about me, so I stopped doing blue tape and began to think, 到这个时候我妻子有点担心我了 于是我停下蓝色胶带 开始思考
Well, what else is there in life? 那么 生活中还有什么其他东西?
And so computers, as you know, these big computers, there are now tiny computers. 也思考计算机 大家知道的 这些巨大的计算机 现在有了微型的计算机
They're littler computers, so the one-chip computers, 它们是更小的计算机 单芯片计算机
I began to program one-chip computers and make objects out of PC boards, LEDs . 我开始给单芯片的计算机编写程序 而且用PC板和LED做些东西
LEDs:v.领导;通向;指引(lead的过去分词);
I began to make LED sculptures that would live inside little boxes out of MDF. 我开始做LED雕塑 放在中纤板做的小盒子中
sculptures:n.[建]雕塑(sculpture的复数); v.雕刻;
This is a series of light boxes I made for a show in Italy. 这是我为意大利一个展览做的一系列的发光盒子
Very simple boxes: you just press one button and some LED interaction occurs . 很简单的盒子: 你只按一个按钮然后一些发生一些LED交互
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰; occurs:v.重现(occur的第三人称单数);
This is a series of lamps I made. This is a Bento box lamp: it's sort of a plastic rice lamp; it's very friendly. 这是我做的一系列台灯 这是一个便当台灯 这是一个塑料的大米台灯 它很友好
lamps:n.灯具(lamp的复数); v.看; Bento:n.(日)盒饭(等于obento);
I did a show in London last year made out of iPods -- 去年我用iPod做了一个展览在伦敦展出 --
I used iPods as a material. 我用iPods当作一个材料.
So I took 16 iPod Nanos and made a kind of a Nano fish, basically. 我拿了16个iPod Nano 然后做了一种叫Nano鱼的东西
Nano:n.纳;毫微;
Recently , this is for Reebok . 最近 这是为锐步做的
Recently:adv.最近;新近; Reebok:n.南非短角羚;
I've done shoes for Reebok as well, as a kind of a hobby for apparel . 我也给锐步设计过鞋, 出于对时装的爱好
apparel:n.服装;衣服;vt.给…穿衣;
So anyways, there are all these things you can do, but the thing I love the most is to experience, taste the world. 不管怎样, 这些都是你能做的东西, 但是我做喜欢的是 体验 品味世界
The world is just so tasty . 世界太美味了
tasty:美味的
We think we'll go to a museum; that's where all the tastes are. 我们会想说去博物馆吧 那是所有味道所在的地方
No, they're all out there. 不 美味无处不在
So, this is, like, in front of the Eiffel Tower, really, actually, around the Louvre area. 这好像是在艾菲尔铁塔跟前 实际是 在罗浮宫附近
Louvre:n.(法)罗浮宫(等于louver);
This I found, where nature had made a picture for me. 我发现这自然创造的美好画面
This is a perfect 90-degree angle by nature. 这是自然形成的完美直角
In this strange moment where, like, these things kind of appeared. 在某个奇怪的时刻 这些东西就那么出现了
We all are creative people. 我们都是有创意的人
We have this gene defect in our mind. 在我们的头脑中我们有这个基因瑕疵
gene:n.基因;遗传基因;遗传因子; defect:n.缺陷;缺点;毛病;v.叛变;背叛;投敌;
We can't help but stop, right? This feeling's a wonderful thing. 你我都只能停下来 对吧? 这种感觉十分美好
It's the forever-always-on museum. 它就是永不打烊的博物馆
This is from the Cape last year. 这是去年在好望角找到的
Cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角;
I discovered that I had to find the equation of art and design, which we know as circle-triangle-square. 我发觉我必须找出艺术和设计之间的等式 看得出是圆形三角形正方形
equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式;
It's everywhere on the beach , I discovered. 沙滩上到处都是
on the beach:adj.在海滩上;失业的;潦倒的;退休的;
I began to collect every instance of circle-triangle-square. 我开始找寻每一个圆形三角形正方式的实例
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
I put these all back, by the way . 顺便说一下 我可把它们都放回去了的
by the way:顺便说一下;
And I also discovered how . 而且我也发现
some rocks are twins separated at birth 某些石头还是一出生即被分隔的双胞胎
This is also out there, you know. 这也自然发生了
I'm, like, how did this happen, kind of thing? 我就想 这是怎么发生的 这类东西?
I brought you guys together again. 我让你们又团聚了
So, three years ago I discovered, the letters M-I-T occurring in simplicity and complexity . 三年前我发现 字母M-I-T 在单词“简单”和“复杂”中都有出现
occurring:n.事件;事故;事变; complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
My alma mater , MIT, and I had this moment -- a kind of M. Night Shayamalan moment -- where I thought, Woah! I have to do this. 我的母校 MIT 在这一刻 我突然感觉峰回路转 我就想 哇! 我必须行动了
alma mater:母校;校歌;
And I went after it with passion . 当时可是十分激动
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
However, recently this RISD opportunity kind of arose -- going to RISD -- and I couldn't reconcile this real easy, because the letters had told me, MIT forever. 话说回来 最近罗德岛设计学院(RISD)的机会来了 去RISD -- 我可无法轻易接受 因为那几个字母已经告诉我 永远的MIT
arose:vi.出现(arise的过去式);引发; reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协;
I was, like, aha, wait a second. 当时我 啊哈 等等
And there RISD appeared. RISD出现了...
And so I realized it was OK to go. 然后我就这样觉得可以去
So, I'm going to RISD, actually. 那么 我要去RISD了
Who's a RISD alum out there? 这里谁是RISD的校友?
alum:n.矾;明矾;
RISD alums ? Yeah, RISD. There we go, RISD. Woo, RISD. RISD校友? 没错, RISD. 我说了吧, RISD. 喔, RISD.
alums:n.矾;明矾;
I'm sorry, I'm sorry -- Art Center is good, too. 对不起, 对不起 -- Art Center也很好.
RISD is kind of my new kind of passion, and I'll tell you a little bit about that. RISD是我新的激情. 我要告诉你关于它的一点故事.
So, RISD is -- 所以, RISD是 --
I was outside RISD, and some student wrote this on some block, and I thought, 我当时在RISD外面, 某个学生在一块砖上写下这个 我就想
Wow, RISD wants to know what itself is. 哇 RISD想知道它自己是什么
And I have no idea what RISD should be, actually, or what it wants to be, but one thing I have to tell you is that although I'm a technologist , I don't like technology very much. 实际上我不知道RISD应该是什么 或者它想成为什么 但是我必须告诉大家 尽管我是名技术专家 但是我不太喜欢科技
I have no idea:我没有头绪…; technologist:n.技术专家;工艺学家;
It's a, kind of, the qi thing, or whatever. 这好像有点玄乎 不管了
People say, 人们问我
Are you going to bring RISD into the future? 你会把RISD带到未来吗?
And I say, well, I'm going to bring the future back to RISD. 我回到道 这个么, 我会把未来带回到RISD
There's my perspective . Because in reality, the problem isn't how to make the world more technological . 这是我的愿望 因为在现实中 问题不是如何把世界变得更高科技
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; technological:adj.技术[工程](上)的;因工艺技术高度发展而引起的;
It's about how to make it more humane again. 而是如何把它重新变得更人性化
humane:adj.仁慈的,人道的;高尚的;
And if anything, I think RISD has a strange DNA. 更可能的是 我觉得RISD有一个特别的DNA
It's a strange exuberance about materials, about the world: a fascination that I think the world needs quite very much right now. 它异常繁茂 关于材料 关于这个世界 这正是这个世界所需要的一种魔力 现在尤为需要
exuberance:n.丰富,茂盛; (感情等的)过度(或极度)表现; fascination:n.魅力;魔力;入迷;
So, thank you everyone. 谢谢大家.