|
|
JohnMaeda_2007-_前田约翰讲述_简洁_
|
On simplicity . What a great way to start. |
关于简洁,这是一个多么伟大的开端。 |
simplicity:n.朴素;简易;天真;愚蠢;
|
First of all , I've been watching this trend where we have these books like such and such "For Dummies ." |
首先,我一直在关注这个趋势 例如《傻瓜系列图书》 |
First of all:adv.首先; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向; Dummies:仿制品(dummy的名词复数);
|
Do you know these books, these such and such "For Dummies?" |
你们知道《傻瓜系列图书》吗? |
My daughters pointed out that I'm very similar looking, so this is a bit of a problem. |
我女儿说我和他长得很象,这就有点问题了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You know, there's also something called the "Complete Idiot's Guide?" |
你们知道还有一个被称为《傻瓜指南系列》的吗? |
There's a sort of business model around being stupid in some sense. |
这一类商业模式,探讨的是关于在某种意义下成为白痴的事情 |
We like to have technology make us feel bad, for some strange reason. |
为了一些奇怪的原因,我们总喜欢拥有某些使我们感觉并不太好的科技。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
But I really like that, so I wrote a book called "The Laws of Simplicity." |
但是我十分喜欢那些科技,所以我写了一本书,名为《简洁的法则》。 |
I was in Milan last week, for the Italian launch . |
为了这本书在意大利的上市,上周我在米兰。 |
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射;
|
It's kind of a book about questions, questions about simplicity. |
这是一本探讨问题的书,这些问题是关于简洁。 |
Very few answers. I'm also wondering myself, what is simplicity? |
我也总是问自己,什么是简洁?很少找到答案。 |
Is it good? Is it bad? Is complexity better? I'm not sure. |
简洁好吗?简洁坏吗?还是复杂更好一些?我不确定。 |
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
|
After I wrote "The Laws of Simplicity," |
写完了《简洁的法则》之后, |
I was very tired of simplicity, as you can imagine. |
你们可以想像,对于简洁我该有多么厌烦。 |
And so in my life, I've discovered that vacation is the most important skill for any kind of over-achiever. |
所以,在我的生活中,我发现 对于成功人士来说度假是一个非常重要的本领。 |
Because your companies will always take away your life, but they can never take away your vacation -- in theory. |
因为你的公司总把你从生活中带走, 但是理论上讲,他们不能把你的假期带走。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, I went to the Cape last summer to hide from simplicity, and I went to the Gap , because I only have black pants. |
所以,去年夏天为了躲避简洁我去了科德角, 我还去了GAP服装专卖店,因为我只有黑色的裤子。 |
Cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角; Gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
|
So I went and bought khaki shorts or whatever, and unfortunately , their branding was all about "Keep It Simple." |
所以我在那里买了几条短裤还有其他一些衣物, 不幸的是他们的品牌定位正是“保持简洁。” |
khaki:n.咔叽布(尤用以做军装); adj.卡其色的; unfortunately:adv.不幸地; branding:n.品牌化,品牌术;v.在…上加商标;使显得独一无二(brand的现在分词);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I opened up a magazine, and Visa's branding was, "Business Takes Simplicity." |
我打开一本杂志,Visa信用卡的品牌定位是 “商务需要简洁。” (后半句是“生活需要Visa”) |
I develop photographs, and Kodak said, "Keep It Simple." |
我冲洗相片,发现柯达在提倡“保持简洁。” |
Kodak:n.小型照相机;
|
So, I felt kind of weird that simplicity was sort of following me around. |
所以,我觉得奇怪的是简洁怎么一直围绕着我。 |
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
|
So, I turned on the TV, and I don't watch TV very much, but you know this person? This is Paris Hilton, apparently . |
于是,我打开电视,我不常看电视的, 但是你们知道这个人--她是帕丽斯·希尔顿。 |
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
|
And she has this show, "The Simple Life." |
她有个真人秀节目叫“简单生活。” |
So I watched this. It's not very simple, a little bit confusing . |
我看着这个节目。它不是非常简单,反倒有点令人迷惑。 |
confusing:adj.令人困惑; v.使糊涂; (confuse的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, I looked for a different show to watch. |
所以,我就找其他的节目看。 |
So, I opened up this TV Guide thing, and on the E! channel, this "Simple Life" show is very popular. |
我打开这个电视节目指南, 在E!频道,这个“简单生活”真人秀竟然非常流行。 |
They'll play it over, and over, and over. |
他们不停地播放它。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So it was traumatizing , actually. |
事实上,它令人伤脑筋。 |
traumatizing:vt.使…受损伤;使…受精神创伤;
|
So, I wanted to escape again, so I went out to my car. |
所以我再一次想到逃离,我钻进了车里, |
And Cape Cod, there are idyllic roads, and all of us can drive in this room. |
科德角有完美乡间公路--我们都能在这个空间里驾驶。 |
idyllic:牧歌的;田园诗的;悠闲的;
|
And when you drive, these signs are very important. |
当你驾驶的时候,这些路标非常重要。 |
It's a very simple sign, it says, "road" and "road approaching ." |
这是一个非常简单的路标,它显示前方是个丁字路口。 |
approaching:v.靠近,接近;接洽;建议;要求;(approach的现在分词)
|
So I'm mostly driving along, okay, and then I saw this sign. |
所以我大部分都是一直往前开,然后,我看见了这个路标。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, I thought complexity was attacking me suddenly, so I thought, "Ah, simplicity. Very important." |
所以,我想到 复杂 正突然袭击了我, 我想,“啊,简洁--太重要了。” |
But then I thought, "Oh, simplicity. What would that be like on a beach? |
但是,稍候我想到“哦,简洁,在海滩上是什么样子呢? |
What if the sky was 41 percent gray? Wouldn't that be the perfect sky?" |
如果天空百分之四十一是灰色的话--那不是完美的天空吗?“ |
What if:如果…怎么办?
|
I mean that simplicity sky. |
我是说那个简洁的天空。 |
But in reality, the sky looked like this. It was a beautiful, complex sky. |
事实上,天空是这样的,一个美丽,复杂的天空。 |
You know, with the pinks and blues. We can't help but love complexity. |
你们看,这有粉红色和蓝色。我们情不自禁得喜欢复杂。 |
We're human beings: we love complex things. |
我们是人类,我们喜欢复杂的事物。 |
We love relationships -- very complex. So we love this kind of stuff . |
我们喜欢人际关系。我们非常复杂。所以,我们喜欢这些事物。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
I'm at this place called the Media Lab. |
我在这个被称为媒体实验室的地方。 |
Media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
Maybe some of you guys have heard of this place. |
可能你们都听说过这个地方。 |
It's designed by I. M. Pei, one of the premier modernist architects . |
它是由贝律铭设计的,一个卓越的现代建筑设计师。 |
premier:adj.第一的;最初的;n.总理,首相; modernist:n.现代主义者;现代主义艺术家;adj.现代主义的; architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数);
|
Modernism means white box, and it's a perfect white box. |
现代主义意味着白盒子,它是一个非常完美的白盒子。 |
Modernism:n.现代主义;现代思想;现代作风;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And some of you guys are entrepreneurs , etc., whatever. |
你们中有一些人是企业家,或者是其他等等。 |
entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
|
Last month, I was at Google , and, boy, that cafeteria, man. |
上个月我在谷歌,看见那个自助餐厅,天哪。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
|
You guys have things here in Silicon Valley like stock options . |
他们在硅谷拥有的东西就象股票期权。 |
Silicon Valley:n.硅谷(美国加利福尼亚州一处计算机和电子公司聚集地,有时用以指任何计算机公司聚集地); stock:n.股票; v.库存; adj.老一套的; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
See, in academia , we get titles, lots of titles. |
你看,在学术界,我们则拥有头衔,很多很多头衔。 |
academia:n.学术界;学术生涯;
|
Last year at TED, these were all my titles. I had a lot of titles. |
去年在TED,这是我全部的头衔。我有很多头衔。 |
I have a default title as a father of a bunch of daughters. |
我有一个默认的头衔,比如一堆女儿的父亲。 |
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
|
This year at TED, I'm happy to report that I have new titles, in addition to my previous titles. |
今年在TED,我很高兴地向大家汇报,我又有了一个新头衔 除了我原来的头衔之外。 |
in addition to:除…之外; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
|
Another " Associate Director of Research." |
另一个副调研总监的职务。 |
Associate:v.联合:联想:交往:adj.非正式的:副的:联合的:n.伙伴:同事:
|
And this also happened, so I have five daughters now. |
这个头衔也发生变化了,那就是我现在是五个女儿的父亲。 |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
That's my baby Reina. (Applause) Thank you. |
这是我的宝贝女儿瑞娜。谢谢。 |
And so, my life is much more complex because of the baby, actually, but that's okay. We will still stay married, I think. |
事实上,我的生活因为宝宝越来越复杂了, 但是没关系。我想我会继续保持婚姻状态。 |
But looking way back, when I was a child -- you see, I grew up in a tofu factory in Seattle . |
但是,回头看看我小的时候-- 我在西雅图的一个豆腐工厂里长大。 |
Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市);
|
Many of you may not like tofu because you haven't had good tofu, but tofu's a good food. It's a very simple kind of food. |
你们很多人可能不喜欢豆腐,那是因为你们没尝到好豆腐, 但是豆腐是个好食物。它是一个非常简单的食物。 |
It's very hard work to make tofu. |
它非常难做。 |
As a child, we used to wake up at 1 a.m. and work till 6 p.m., six days a week. |
作为孩子,我们过去经常在清晨一点被叫醒然后工作到下午六点,一周六天都如此。 |
My father was kind of like Andy Grove , paranoid of the competition . |
我的父亲象安迪·葛洛夫,一个追求竞争的偏执狂。 |
Grove:n.小树林;果园; paranoid:adj.类似妄想狂的;属于偏执狂的;n.患妄想狂的人;偏执狂患者; competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛;
|
So often, seven days a week. Family business equals child labor. |
所以,我们经常一周工作七天。我的家族生意就等同于童工。 |
We were a great model. So, I loved going to school. |
我们是一个伟大的模式。但是,我还是喜欢去学校读书。 |
School was great, and maybe going to school helped me get to this Media Lab place, I'm not sure. |
学校是伟大的,或许去学校读书 帮我来到了媒体实验室,我不确定。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
But the Media Lab is an interesting place, and it's important to me because as a student, I was a computer science undergrad , and I discovered design later on in my life. |
媒体实验室是一个有趣的地方,这点对我很重要 因为作为学生,我是一个计算机科学的本科生, 而且后来在我的生活中我发现了设计。 |
computer science:n.计算机科学; undergrad:n.大学肄业生;adj.大学生的(等于undergraduate);
|
And there was this person, Muriel Cooper. |
这个人是穆里尔·库珀。 |
Who knows Muriel Cooper? Muriel Cooper? |
有谁知道穆里尔·库珀? |
Wasn't she amazing? Muriel Cooper. She was wacky . |
她是不是很不可思议?穆里尔·库珀挺古怪的。 |
wacky:adj.乖僻的,古怪的;
|
And she was a TEDster, exactly, and she showed us, she showed the world how to make the computer beautiful again. |
她是一个TED的推广人,准确地说,她展示给我们 一个如何使计算机再度美丽起来的世界。 |
And she's very important in my life, because she's the one that told me to leave MIT and go to art school. |
她在我生命中非常重要, 因为她告诉我离开MIT去艺术学校读书。 |
It was the best advice I ever got. So I went to art school, because of her. |
这是我得到过的最好的建议。所以,因为她,我去了艺术学校。 |
She passed away in 1994, and I was hired back to MIT to try to fill her shoes, but it's so hard. |
她1994年过世了, 我又被MIT反聘,尝试接她的班,但是非常困难。 |
This amazing person, Muriel Cooper. |
这就是这个不可思议的人,穆里尔·库珀。 |
When I was in Japan -- I went to an art school in Japan -- |
当我在日本的时候--我去了日本的艺术学校读书-- |
I had a nice sort of situation, because somehow I was connected to Paul Rand. |
我有过一段很好的体验,因为我联系上了保罗·兰德。 |
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
|
Some of you guys know Paul Rand, the greatest graphic designer -- I'm sorry -- out there. |
你们有些人也认识保罗·兰德, 他是最伟大的平面设计师。 |
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的;
|
The great graphic designer Paul Rand designed the IBM logo , the Westinghouse logo. |
这位伟大的平面设计师保罗·兰德, 设计了IBM的品牌标识,西屋电气的品牌标识-- |
logo:n.标志;
|
He basically said, "I've designed everything." |
他从根本上说,“我设计了一切。” |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
And also Ikko Tanaka was a very important mentor in my life -- the Paul Rand of Japan. He designed most of the major icons of Japan, like Issey Miyake's brand and also Muji. |
还有田中一光也是我生命中非常重要的一位导师-- 他被喻为日本的保罗·兰德。他设计了大部分日本重要的标志性事物 例如三宅一生的品牌,还有无印良品。 |
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导;
|
When you have mentors -- and yesterday, |
当你有导师的时候的时候--昨天 |
mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数);
|
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar talked about mentors, these people in your life -- the problem with mentors is that they all die. |
卡里姆·阿卜杜勒·贾巴尔谈论了导师, 这些在你生命中的人--问题是这些导师们都已经去世了。 |
This is a sad thing, but it's actually a happy thing in a way, because you can remember them in their pure form. |
这是一件悲伤的事,但是某种意义上这实际也是一件快乐的事, 因为你能以他们纯然的形式记忆着他们。 |
I think that the mentors that we all meet sort of humanize us. |
我想那些我们遇见过的导师们使我们更人性化。 |
humanize:vt.教化;赋予人性;使通人情;vi.变为有人性;有教化;
|
When you get older, and you're all freaked out, whatever, the mentors calm us down. |
当你变得越来越衰老,你就会恐慌, 但是,导师能使我们平静。 |
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I'm grateful for my mentors, and I'm sure all of you are too. |
我很感激我的导师们,我确信你们也一样。 |
Because the human thing is very hard when you're at MIT. |
因为当你在MIT的时候,关于人的事物是非常困难的。 |
The T doesn't stand for "human," it stands for "technology." |
这个T字不代表“人”,它代表“科技”。 |
And because of that, I always wondered about this human thing. |
也是因为这一点,我总是疑惑关于人的事物。 |
So, I've always been Googling this word, "human," |
所以,我总是在谷歌上搜索“人”这个词语, |
Googling:网上搜索,谷歌一下;
|
to find out how many hits I get. |
为了找出有多少点击率。 |
And in 2001, I had 26 million hits, and for "computer," |
2001年关于“人”这个词有2千6百万的点击率,而对于“电脑”这个词 |
because computers are against humans a bit, |
因为电脑是有点超过人类的, |
I have 42 million hits. Let me do an Al Gore here. |
有4千2百万的点击率。我学学戈尔。 |
So, if you sort of compare that, like this, you'll see that computer versus human -- |
所以,如果你把两者象这样比较, 你会发现电脑对比人-- |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
|
I've been tracking this for the last year -- computer versus human over the last year has changed. |
去年我一直追踪这个-- 经过去年一年发生了变化。 |
tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词)
|
It used to be kind of two to one. Now, humans are catching up. |
过去是2比1。现在,“人”追赶上来了。 |
Very good, us humans! We're catching up with the computers. |
非常好,作为人类,我们追赶上了电脑。 |
In the simplicity realm , it's also interesting. |
在简洁的层面,也很有趣, |
realm:n.领域,范围;王国;
|
So if you compare complexities to simplicity, it's also catching up in a way, too. |
所以如果你把复杂和简洁做比较, 他们也是越来越接近。 |
complexities:n.复杂性(complexity的复数);错综复杂的事物;
|
So, somehow humans and simplicity are intertwined , I think. |
所以,人和简洁是紧密相连的。 |
intertwined:adj.缠绕的;错综复杂的;v.使缠结,缠绕(intertwine的过去式);
|
I have a confession : I'm not a man of simplicity. |
我坦白:我不是一个简洁的人。 |
confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认;
|
I spent my entire early career making complex stuff. |
我职业生涯的初期全部在制作复杂的事物。 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
Lots of complex stuff. |
很多很多复杂的事物。 |
I wrote computer programs to make complex graphics like this. |
我编辑了电脑程序来制作复杂的图形,例如这个。 |
graphics:n.[测]制图学;制图法;图表算法;
|
I had clients in Japan to make really complex stuff like this. |
我给日本的客户做过相当复杂的东西,比如这个。 |
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
|
And I've always felt bad about it, in a sense . |
某种层面上,我总是感觉很不好。 |
in a sense:在某种意义上;
|
So, I hid in a time dimension . |
所以我躲在了一个时间的维度里: |
dimension:n.方面;[数]维;尺寸;次元;容积vt.标出尺寸;adj.规格的;
|
I built things in a time-graphics dimension. |
我建立了一个时间-平面图形的维度。 |
I did this series of calendars for Shiseido. |
我为资生堂制作了一系列日历。 |
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; calendars:n.日历;挂历;日程表;记事本;(calendar的复数)
|
This is a floral theme calendar in 1997, and this is a firework calendar. So, you launch the number into space, because the Japanese believe that when you see fireworks , you're cooler for some reason. |
这是1997年的一个花卉日历, 这是一个焰火日历。你把数字发送到宇宙里, 因为日本人相信当你看见焰火 出于某些原因你就会感觉更凉爽了。 |
floral:adj.花的;植物的,植物群的;花似的; fireworks:n.烟花;烟火表演;激烈的言辞;令人激动的行动;(firework的复数)
|
This is why they have fireworks in the summer. |
这就是为什么他们在夏天会放烟花的原因。 |
A very extreme culture. |
一种非常极端的文化传统。 |
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
|
Lastly, this is a fall-based calendar, because I have so many leaves in my yard. |
最后这个是以秋天为主题的日历, 因为在我的后院有特别多的落叶。 |
So this is the leaves in my yard, essentially . |
所以这基本上来说,就是我家后院的秋叶。 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
|
And so I made a lot of these types of things. |
我制作了很多这种类型的东西。 |
I've been lucky to have been there before people made these kind of things, and so I made all this kind of stuff that messes with your eyes. |
我很幸运在其他人制作类似这些东西之前我就已经在做了, 我制作了所有这些能让人眼花缭乱的东西。 |
messes:v.弄糟;弄乱;妨碍(mess的第三人称单数);n.杂乱,脏乱(mess的名词复数);
|
I feel kind of bad about that. |
但我对此感觉不太好。 |
Tomorrow, Paola Antonelli is speaking. I love Paola. |
明天保拉·安特娜莉将演讲;我爱她。 |
She has this show right now at MoMA, where some of these early works are here on display at MoMA, on the walls. |
她正在纽约现代艺术博物馆举办一个展览 正是关于这样的一些早期的作品。 |
on display:展览,公开展出;
|
If you're in New York, please go and see that. |
如果你在纽约,请你前往参观。 |
But I've had a problem, because I make all this flying stuff and people say, "Oh, I know your work. |
但是,因为我做了这些出色的东西,于是我遇到一个问题 人们会说,“哦,我知道你的作品, |
You're the guy that makes eye candy ." |
你是那个能做视觉糖果(能看不能吃,华而不实)的人。” |
eye candy:华而不实的东西;
|
And when you're told this, you feel kind of weird. |
当人们这么对你说的时候,你会感觉很奇怪。 |
'"Eye candy" -- sort of pejorative , don't you think? |
“视觉糖果”(华而不实)--你不觉得有点轻蔑吗? |
pejorative:adj.轻蔑的;[临床]恶化的,变坏的;n.轻蔑语;
|
So, I say, "No, I make eye meat," instead. |
所以,我说。“不,我做的是视觉鲜肉” |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
And eye meat is something different, something more fibrous , something more powerful, perhaps. But what could that be, eye meat? |
视觉鲜肉是不一样的,更具纤维性, 可能更有力量。但是视觉鲜肉是怎样的呢? |
fibrous:adj.纤维的,纤维性的;纤维状的;
|
I've been interested in computer programs all my life, actually. |
事实上,在我一生中我都对计算机程序一直很感兴趣。 |
Computer programs are essentially trees, and when you make art with a computer program, there's kind of a problem. |
计算机程序基本上来讲就是一些树, 当你用计算机程序制作艺术品的时候,就遇到问题了。 |
Whenever you make art with a computer program, you're always on the tree, and the paradox is that for excellent art, you want to be off the tree. |
无论什么时候当你用计算机程序制作艺术品, 你总是在树上,但是矛盾的是 为了制作出更好的艺术品,你想从树上下来--想摆脱树。 |
paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事;
|
So, this is sort of a complication I've found. |
所以,这是我发现的一个复杂之处。 |
complication:n.并发症;复杂;复杂化;混乱;
|
So, to get off the tree, I began to use my old computers. |
为了摆脱树,我开始用我的以前的旧电脑。 |
I took these to Tokyo in 2001 to make computer objects. |
2001年我把这些东西带到了东京去制作电脑主体。 |
This is a new way to type, on my old, color Classic . |
这是一个新的打字方式,在我的旧的“彩色经典”型号的电脑上。 |
Classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
|
You can't type very much on this. |
你不能在这个上面打太多的字。 |
I also discovered that an IR mouse responds to CRT emissions and starts to move by itself, so this is a self-drawing machine. |
我也发现了一个IR鼠标对CRT的辐射有反应 它自己开始移动,所以这是一个自动绘图的机器。 |
responds:v.(口头或书面)回答,回应;作出反应;响应;(respond的第三人称单数) emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
|
And also, one year, the G3 Bondi Blue thing -- that caddy would come out, like, dangerous, like, " whack ," like that. |
也是在同一年制作了苹果G3邦迪蓝, 那个光驱弹出来的时候,既危险,又象重击一样。 |
Bondi:n.邦代海滩(悉尼); caddy:卡迪拉克(Cadillac); whack:v.重打;猛击;击败;削减;n.重击;尝试;份儿;机会;
|
But I thought, "This is very interesting. What if I make like a car crash test?" |
但是我想,“这是非常有趣的。如果我制造一个类似的撞车测试怎么样?” |
car crash:n.车祸;
|
So I have a crash test. |
于是我设计了撞车测试。 |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
And sort of measure the impact . Stuff like this are things I made, just to sort of understand what these things are. |
我制作了一些诸如评测结果的物体 就是为了理解这些东西究竟是什么。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
Shortly after this, 9/11 happened, and I was very depressed . |
此后不久,9/11发生了,我非常难过。 |
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
|
I was concerned with contemporary art that was all about piss , and sort of really sad things, and so I wanted to think about something happy. |
我参与的当代艺术 全是瞎胡闹,全是些十分悲伤的事物, 所以我开始考虑一些快乐的事物, |
concerned with:关心;涉及;忙于;与…有关; contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的; piss:int.(美俚)呸;n.撒尿;v.撒尿;
|
So I focused on food as my area -- these sort of clementine peel things. |
于是,我把食品当做我关注的领域-- 这些可以剥开皮的橙子。 |
clementine:n.克莱门氏小柑橘(为柑橘与酸柑杂交的品种);
|
In Japan, it's a wonderful thing to remove the clementine peel just in one piece. Who's done that before? One-piece clementine? |
在日本,完整的剥掉橙子的皮是一件很棒的事。 谁以前能这么剥下一整片橙子皮? |
One-piece:adj.连衣裙的;整块的;上下连在一起的;n.连衣裙;
|
Oh, you guys are missing out, if you haven't done it yet. |
哦,如果你们没做过,那你真失败。 |
It was very good, and I discovered I can make sculptures out of this, actually, in different forms. |
这很好,我发现我能用它做个雕塑, 事实上,用不同的形式。 |
sculptures:n.[建]雕塑(sculpture的复数); v.雕刻;
|
If you dry them quick, you can make, like, elephants and steers and stuff, and my wife didn't like these, because they mold , so I had to stop that. |
如果你很快的风干他们,你能做成大象和方向盘等等物品, 我太太并不喜欢这些东西,因为他们会发霉,所以我不得不停下来。 |
steers:驾驶;引领;某物;小公牛;引导; mold:n.模具;模型;霉菌;类型;v.用可塑材料塑成;浇铸;发霉;
|
So, I went back to the computer, and I bought five large fries, and scanned them all. And I was looking for some kind of food theme, and I wrote some software to automatically lay out french-fry images . |
我又回到了电脑前,我买了五包大薯条, 并且把他们全部扫描。我寻找一些食品得主题, 而且我写了一些软件自动呈现出炸薯条的图像。 |
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And as a child, I'd hear that song, you know, "Oh, beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain ," |
作为一个孩子,我曾经听过一首歌,你们知道, “啊,美丽的亚美利加!辽阔的天空,金色的麦浪” |
spacious:adj.宽敞的,广阔的;无边无际的; amber:adj.琥珀色的;琥珀制的;n.琥珀;琥珀色;vt.使呈琥珀色; grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒;
|
so I made this amber waves image. |
所以我做了一幅金色海浪图像。 |
It's sort of a Midwest cornfield out of french fries . |
这是一幅用炸薯条做的中西部玉米地。 |
Midwest:n.美国的中西部; cornfield:n.麦田;玉米田;稻田; french fries:法式炸薯条;炸土豆片;
|
And also, as a child, I was the fattest kid in class, so I used to love Cheetos . Oh, I love Cheetos, yummy. |
小时候,我曾经是班级里最胖的孩子, 所以我很爱吃芝士玉米条。我爱芝士玉米条,好吃极了。 |
Cheetos:奇多;奇多粟米脆;奇多饼干;
|
So, I wanted to play with Cheetos in some way. |
所以,我想用芝士玉米条做点什么。 |
I wasn't sure where to go with this. I invented Cheeto paint. |
我不确定怎么用他们。我发明了芝士玉米条绘画。 |
Cheeto paint is a very simple way to paint with Cheetos. |
芝士玉米条绘画是用芝士玉米条来画画的一种非常简单的方式。 |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
I discovered that Cheetos are good, expressive material. |
我发现芝士玉米条是个好的表达材料。 |
expressive:adj.表现的;有表现力的;表达…的;
|
And with these Cheetos, I began to think, "What can I make with these Cheetos?" |
用这些芝士玉米条我开始想, ”我能用这些芝士玉米条做些什么呢?“ |
And so, I began to crinkle up potato chip flecks , and also pretzels . |
我又开始用薯片和小卷饼。 |
crinkle:vt.起皱;使沙沙作响;vi.起皱;卷曲;n.皱纹;波纹;沙沙声; potato chip:n.[食]薯片; flecks:n.斑点;微粒,小片;vt.使起斑点;使有斑驳; pretzels:n.椒盐卷饼(常作小吃);(pretzel的复数)
|
I was looking for some kind of form, and in the end, I made 100 butter-fries. Do you get it? |
我一直在寻找一种形式, 最后,我做了一百只薯条蝴蝶。你们能看出来吗? |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
And each butter-fry is composed of different pieces. |
每一只蝴蝶都是由不同的小片薯条组成。 |
composed:adj.由…组成的; v.组成; (compose的过去分词和过去式)
|
People ask me how they make the antenna . |
人们问我用什么做的触角。 |
antenna:n.[电讯]天线;[动]触角,[昆]触须;
|
Sometimes, they find a hair in the food. That's my hair. |
有时他们能发现一根头发;那是我的头发。 |
My hair's clean -- it's okay. |
还不错,我头发很干净。 |
I'm a tenured professor, which means, basically, I don't have to work anymore. |
我是一个终身教授,这意味着,基本上,我不用再工作了。 |
tenured:adj.(美)享有终身职位的;v.授予…终身职位(tenure的过去分词);
|
It's a strange business model. I can come into work everyday and staple five pieces of paper and just stare at it with my latte . |
这是一个奇怪的模式。我每天都在工作 订五页纸,拿着我的拿铁咖啡盯着他们看。 |
staple:n.主要产品; adj.主要的,常用的; v.把…分级; stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视; latte:n.热牛奶咖啡,拿铁咖啡;
|
End of story. |
故事结束了。 |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
But I realized that life could be very boring , so I've been thinking about life, and I notice that my camera -- my digital camera versus my car, a very strange thing. |
但是我意识到生活很无聊, 所以我一直考虑生活,我看到我的相机-- 我的数字相机对比我的车--一个非常奇怪的东西。 |
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词) digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
|
The car is so big, the camera is so small, yet the manual for the camera is so much bigger than the car manual. |
汽车那么大,相机那么小, 但是相机的使用手册远远大于汽车的使用手册。 |
manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的;
|
It doesn't make any sense. |
这一点不合理。 |
(Laughter) |
笑声 |
So, I was in the Cape one time, and I typed the word "simplicity," |
所以,我在科德角,我写下了,”简洁“这个词, |
and I discovered, in this weird, M. Night Shyamalan way, that I discovered [the] letters, M, I, T. You know the word? |
我发现,用怪异的导演奈特·沙马兰的手法, 我发现了字母”M-I-T“,你们知道这个词吧? |
In the words "simplicity" and "complexity," M, I, T occur in perfect sequence . |
在词语“简洁”和“复杂”里, M-I-T 这个词以一种完美的序列出现了。 |
occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在; sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
|
It's a bit eerie , isn't it? |
有点毛骨悚然,是不是? |
eerie:adj.可怕的;怪异的;
|
So, I thought, maybe I'll do this for the next twenty years or something. |
所以我想或许我应该未来二十年做这个或一些类似的事物。 |
And I wrote this book, "The Laws of Simplicity." |
我写了这本书,《简洁的法则》-- |
It's a very short, simple book. There are ten laws and three keys. |
这是一本非常短的简单的书。有十法则和三要素。 |
The ten laws and three keys -- I won't go over them because that's why I have a book, and also that's why it's on the Web for free. |
我不会重温这十法则和三要素,这就是为什么我有一本书的原因, 这也是为什么它在网上是免费的。 |
But the laws are kind of like sushi in a way: there are all kinds. |
但是这些法则象寿司一样:都有很多种类。 |
In Japan, they say that sushi is challenging. |
在日本,他们说寿司很难做。 |
You know the uni is the most challenging, so number ten is challenging. |
你们知道海胆是最难做的,所以十这个数字也很难-- |
number ten:n.唐宁街十号(英国首相的伦敦官邸,常指英国政府);
|
People hate number ten like they hate uni, actually. |
事实上,人们讨厌十这个数字就象他们讨厌海胆一样。 |
The three keys are easy to eat, so this is anago, cooked already, so easy to eat. |
三要素很容易吃(很容易理解),就像是海鳗,已经做熟的,很容易吃。 |
So enjoy your sushi meal later, with the laws of simplicity. |
所以,稍候请你用简洁法则来享受你的寿司晚餐吧。 |
Because I want to simplify them for you. |
因为我想为你们而简化他们。 |
simplify:vt.简化;使单纯;使简易;
|
Because that's what this is about. I have to simplify this thing. |
因为写此书的目的就是:我要简化。 |
So, if I simplify the laws of simplicity, |
所以,我简化了简洁的法则, |
I have what's called the cookie versus laundry thing. |
我用了“饼干对比洗衣”的例子。 |
laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服;
|
Anyone who has kids knows that if you offer a kid a big cookie or a small cookie, which cookie are they going to take? The big cookie. |
任何有孩子的人都知道如果你给孩子 一个大饼干和一个小饼干, 他们会拿哪个饼干?大饼干。 |
You can say the small cookie has Godiva chocolate bits in it, but it doesn't work. They want the big cookie. |
你会说小饼干里有高迪瓦巧克力, 但是没用,他们就是要拿大饼干。 |
But if you offer kids two piles of laundry to fold , the small pile or the big pile, which will they choose? |
但是如果你让孩子叠两堆衣服, 一大堆和一小堆,他们会选哪一堆? |
piles:n.痔疮;痔; fold:v.折叠;包;可叠平(以便贮存或携带);裹;n.褶;褶层;折叠部分;褶痕;
|
Strangely , not the big pile. So, I think it's as simple as this. |
奇怪的是,他们不会选那个大堆的。所以,我想这就是简单。 |
Strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地;
|
You know, when you want more, it's because you want to enjoy it. |
你们知道,当你想要更多的时候,那是因为你想要享受它, |
When you want less, it's because it's about work. |
当你想要更少的时候,那是因为它一项工作。 |
And so, to boil it all down, simplicity is about living life with more enjoyment and less pain. |
所以,归根结底,简洁是关于生活 更多得享受生活更少得体会痛苦。 |
enjoyment:n.享受;乐趣;享有;
|
I think this is sort of simple more versus less. |
我觉得这是一种简单的多对比少。 |
Basically, it always depends. |
基本上讲它是可靠的。 |
This book I wrote because I want to figure out life. |
我写这本书是因为我想搞明白生活是什么。 |
I love life. I love being alive. I like to see things. |
我热爱生活,我热爱活着。我喜欢看事物。 |
And so life is a big question, I think, in simplicity, because you're trying to simplify your life. |
所以我想以简洁的方式来看,生活是个大问题, 因为你在尽力简化你的生活。 |
And I just love to see the world. The world is an amazing place. |
我喜欢看世界。世界是一个很奇妙的地方。 |
By being at TED, we see so many things at one time . |
在TED我们同一时间能看到那么多事物。 |
at one time:曾经,一度;同时;
|
And I can't help but enjoy looking at everything in the world. |
我情不自禁的享受观看世界上的任何事物。 |
Like everything you see, every time you wake up. |
就象你们醒来看到的每一件事物一样。 |
It's such a joy to sort of experience everything in the world. |
体验世界上的每一件事物是多么快乐的事情。 |
From everything from a weird hotel lobby , to Saran wrap placed over your window, to this moment where I had my road in front of my house paved dark black, and this white moth was sitting there dying in the sun. |
从每一个事物,从一个诡异的酒店大堂, 到你窗户上的塑料保鲜膜, 到这张照片上的这一刻--这是我家门前黑色马路 上的一只白蛾子,它停在那里慢慢地在阳光下死去。 |
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); Saran:n.合成树脂之一,耐火塑胶料; wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾; paved:v.(用砖石)铺(地);(pave的过去分词和过去式) moth:n.蛾;蛀虫;
|
And so, this whole thing has struck me as exciting to be here, because life is finite . |
目睹这整个过程令我惊讶,就象今天我来到这里一样兴奋不已, 因为生命是有限的。 |
finite:adj.有限的;限定的;n.有限之物;
|
This was given to me by the chairman of Shiseido. |
这是资生堂的董事长给我的图表。 |
He's an expert in aging. This horizontal axis is how old you are -- twelve years old, twenty-four years old, seventy-four, ninety-six years old -- and this is some medical data. So, brain strength increases up to 60, and then after 60, it sort of goes down. Kind of depressing in a way. |
他是一个研究衰老的专家。这条水平横轴显示你的年龄-- 20岁,24岁,70岁,96岁-- 纵轴是一些医疗数据。所以大脑的增长一直持续到60岁, 过了60岁,大脑就开始减弱。某种意义上挺让人沮丧的。 |
horizontal:n.水平线;水平面;横线;水平位置;adj.水平的;与地面平行的;横的; axis:n.轴;轴线;轴心国; depressing:adj.令人抑郁的; v.使沮丧; (depress的现在分词)
|
Also, if you look at your physical strength. |
同样的,如果你看你的体能。 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
|
You know, I have a lot of cocky freshmen at MIT, so I tell them, "Oh, your bodies are really getting stronger and stronger, but in your late twenties and mid-thirties, cells, they die." |
在MIT时,我见过很多自以为是的新生,所以我告诉他们, “你们的身体的确越来越强壮, 但是在你二十岁的末期和三十岁中期,细胞就开始死亡了。“ |
cocky:adj.自大的;骄傲的;过于自信的; freshmen:n.大学一年级新生;新手(freshman的复数);
|
OK. It gets them to work harder, sometimes. |
有时,这样能让他们更努力地工作。 |
And if you have your vision , vision is interesting. |
如果你有视力,视力是有趣的。 |
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
As you age from infant age, your vision gets better, and maybe in your late teens , early twenties, you're looking for a mate , and your vision goes after that. |
当你从婴儿开始发育,你的视力会越来越好, 或许当你青春期晚期的时候,20岁初期,你正在寻找伴侣, 从那以后,你的视力开始衰退。 |
infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的; teens:n.十多岁,十几岁;青少年; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Your social responsibility is very interesting. |
你的社会责任也很有趣。 |
So, as you get older, you may, like, have kids, whatever. |
所以当你越来越老的时候,你或许,有孩子,或许还有其他。 |
And then the kids graduate, and you have no responsibility any more -- that's very good, too. |
等孩子大学毕业了,你就变得不必再有什么责任了-- 那也很好。 |
But if any of you people ask, "What actually goes up? Does anything go up? |
但是如果你们有人问, ”有什么东西是向上增长的呢? |
What's the positive part of this, you know?" I think wisdom always goes up. |
这里面有什么是积极的呢?” 我想智慧总是在增长的。 |
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
|
I love these eighty-year-old, ninety-year-old guys and women. |
我爱那些八九十岁的老人们。 |
They have so many thoughts, and they have so much wisdom, and I think -- you know, this TED thing, I've come here. |
他们有那么多的想法,有那么多的智慧, 我想--为了TED,我来到这里。 |
And this is the fourth time, and I come here for this wisdom, I think. |
这是第四次,我想为了智慧,我来到这里。 |
This whole TED effect, it sort of ups your wisdom, somehow. |
TED的整个影响力,能提升你们的智慧。 |
And I'm so glad to be here, and I'm very grateful to be here, Chris. |
克里斯,我非常高兴来这里,我也非常感激来这里。 |
And this is an amazing experience for me as well. |
这对我也是一个奇妙的体验。 |