|
|
JohnHunter_2011-_谈世界和平游戏_
|
I'm very fortunate to be here. |
很荣幸我能来到这里 |
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
|
I feel so fortunate. |
我感到很荣幸 |
I've been so impressed by the kindness expressed to me. |
人们的友善几乎让我印象深刻 |
impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式) expressed:v.表示;表达;显而易见;不言自明;(express的过去分词和过去式)
|
I called my wife Leslie, and I said, "You know, there's so many good people trying to do so much good. |
我打电话给我太太雷思里 我说,“你知道吗,这里有好多好人 要一起做好多好事 |
It feels like I've landed in a colony of angels." |
我感觉我仿佛落到了一群天使之中。 ” |
colony:n.殖民地;移民队;
|
It's a true feeling. |
我真的这样感觉 |
But let me get to the talk -- I see the clock is running. |
但让我开始吧 -- 时钟开始跑了 |
I'm a public school teacher, and I just want to share a story of my superintendent . |
我是个公立学校的老师 我想要和你们分享我的主管的故事 |
public school:(美国和苏格兰的初等或中等的)公立中小学;寄宿学校; superintendent:n.监督人;负责人;主管;指挥者;
|
Her name is Pam Moran in Albemarle County , Virginia , the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. |
她的名字是潘·莫然 住在维吉尼亚州 蓝岭山脉中的的山麓小丘上 |
County:n.郡,县; Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的; foothills:n.山麓丘陵;前陆; Ridge:n.山脊;山脉;屋脊;vt.使成脊状;作垄;vi.成脊状;
|
And she's a very high-tech superintendent. |
她是个很高科技的主管 |
high-tech:adj.高科技的,高技术的;仿真技术的;n.高科技;
|
She uses smart boards, she blogs , she Tweets , she does Facebook, she does all this sort of high-tech stuff . |
她用智慧型黑板,她写博客 她用Twitter,上Facebook, 所有高科技的东西她都有做 |
blogs:n.网志;博客;v.写网志;写博客;(blog的第三人称单数和复数) Tweets:n.啾啾声,小鸟叫声(tweet的复数形式);v.鸣叫(tweet的三单形式); stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
She's a technology leader and instructional leader. |
她是技术领导者和教学领导者 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; instructional:adj.教学的;指导的,教育的;
|
But in her office, there's this old wooden , weather-worn table, kitchen table -- peeling green paint, it's kind of rickety . |
但在她的办公室里 有一张历经沧桑的旧木头桌子,餐桌 -- 上面的油漆都掉了,还摇摇晃晃的 |
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 rickety:adj.摇晃的;虚弱的;患佝偻病的;
|
And I said, "Pam, you're such a modern, cutting-edge person. |
我说“潘,你是个这么摩登、这么先进的人 |
cutting-edge:n.(刀片的)刃口;尖端;前沿;adj.先进的,尖端的;
|
Why is this old table in your office?" |
你的办公室里怎么放了一张这么老的桌子? ” |
And she told me, she said, "You know, I grew up in Southwestern Virginia, in the coal mines and the farmlands of rural Virginia, and this table was in my grandfather's kitchen. |
她对我说 “我在维吉尼亚西南部的煤矿 还有维吉尼亚乡下的农场长大 这张桌子原本在我爷爷的厨房 |
farmlands:n.农田; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
And we'd come in from playing, he'd come in from plowing and working, and we'd sit around that table every night. |
我们都在那里玩,他工作完以后会加入我们 我们每个晚上围绕着那张桌子 |
plowing:v.犁;耕;开路;犁;耕地;(plow的现在分词) sit around:无所事事;
|
And as I grew up, I heard so much knowledge and so many insights and so much wisdom come out around this table, |
在我的成长过程中,我在那张桌上 学到许多知识、智慧 洞悉人世 |
insights:n.洞察力;眼力;深刻见解(insight的复数); wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
|
I began to call it the wisdom table. |
我开始叫它智慧桌 |
And when he passed on, I took this table with me and brought it to my office, and it reminds me of him. |
当他离开人世,我把这张桌子带进我办公室 它让我想起他 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
|
It reminds me of what goes on around an empty space sometimes." |
它提醒我那些空白空间里都发生了些什么” |
The project I'm going to tell you about is called the World Peace Game, and essentially it is also an empty space. |
我今天所要介绍的这个计划 叫世界和平游戏 本质上,它也是个空白的空间 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
|
And I'd like to think of it as a 21st century wisdom table, really. |
我喜欢把它想做是 21世纪的智慧桌 |
It all started back in 1977. |
这一切都从77年开始 |
I was a young man, and I had been dropping in and out of college. |
当时我很年轻 在大学里进进出出 |
And my parents were very patient , but I had been doing intermittent sojourns to India on a mystical quest . |
我的父母很有耐心 我在印度断断续续地逗留 一个神秘的旅程 |
patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; intermittent:adj.间歇的;断断续续的;间歇性; mystical:adj.神秘的;神秘主义的; quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索;
|
And I remember the last time I came back from India -- in my long white flowing robes and my big beard and my John Lennon glasses -- and I said to my father, "Dad, I think I've just about found spiritual enlightenment ." |
我记得最后一次我从印度回来 穿着我飘飘然的白长衫 大胡子和约翰蓝侬式的眼镜 我告诉我父亲 “爸,我想我就快得道了“ |
robes:n.长袍;礼服;v.(使)穿上长袍,礼服等(robe的第三人称单数); spiritual:n.圣歌(尤指美国南部黑人的);adj.精神的,心灵的; enlightenment:n.启迪;启蒙运动;教化;
|
He said, "Well there's one more thing you need to find." |
他说”除了得道你还需要得到另一个东西“ |
I said, "What is that, dad?" "A job." |
我说”是什么?“ ”工作“ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And so they pleaded with me to get a degree in something. |
于是他们请求我完成某个大学学位 |
pleaded:v.辩护(plead的过去式);
|
So I got a degree and it turned out to be education. |
于是我毕业了 读的是教育 |
It was an experimental education program. |
那是个实验性的教育课程 |
experimental:adj.实验的;根据实验的;试验性的;
|
It could have been dentistry , but the word "experimental" was in it, and so that's what I had to go for. |
我也可以读牙医,但“实验性”这几个字 让我选择了它 |
dentistry:n.牙科学;牙医业;
|
And I went in for a job interview in the Richmond Public Schools in Virginia, the capital city, bought a three-piece suit -- my concession to convention -- kept my long beard and my afro |
我去维吉尼亚州的 列治文公立小学面试 穿着我的三件式西装- 作为我对现实的让步 但保留了我的大胡子和爆炸头 |
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈; Richmond:n.里士满(美国弗吉尼亚首府); three-piece suit:三件套; concession:n.让步;特许(权);承认;退位; convention:n.习俗;惯例;协定;常规; afro:n.圆蓬式发型;非洲式发型;adj.(美国)黑人的;圆蓬式的;
|
and my platform shoes -- at the time it was the '70s -- and I walked in, and I sat down and had an interview. |
和我的厚底鞋 - 那是70年代 我走进去,我坐下,接受面试 |
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
And I guess they were hard up for teachers because the supervisor , her name was Anna Aro, said I had the job teaching gifted children. |
我想他们很缺老师 当时的主管,她叫安尔若 她说我可以去教特殊教育 |
supervisor:n.监督人,[管理]管理人;检查员; gifted:adj.有天赋的;有才华的;
|
And I was so shocked, so stunned , |
我大吃一惊 |
stunned:adj.震惊的; v.使昏迷; (stun的过去分词和过去式)
|
I got up and said, "Well, thank you, but what do I do?" |
站起来说“好的,谢谢你,但我该怎么做?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Gifted education hadn't really taken hold too much. |
当时并没有什么有关特殊教育的教材 |
There weren't really many materials or things to use. |
特殊教育才刚起步 |
And I said, "What do I do?" |
我说“我该怎么做?” |
And her answer shocked me. It stunned me. |
她的回答令我大吃一惊 |
Her answer set the template for the entire career I was to have after that. |
她的回答为之后我的整个事业 设定了方向。 |
template:n.模板,样板; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
She said, "What do you want to do?" |
她说“你想怎么做?” |
And that question cleared the space. |
这个问题让我有很大空间 |
There was no program directive , no manual to follow, no standards in gifted education in that way. |
当时的特殊教育没有教材方向,没有教学手册 也没有任何标准 就这样 |
directive:n.指示;指令;adj.指导的;管理的; manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的; standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
|
And she cleared such a space that I endeavored from then on to clear a space for my students, an empty space, whereby they could create and make meaning out of their own understanding. |
她提供了很大的空间 就像我一直努力 为我学生所做的一样,给他们空间 让他们用自己的理解力 创造意义 |
endeavored:n.努力; vi.努力; vt.努力; from then on:从那时起 whereby:adv.凭借;通过…;借以;与…一致;
|
So this happened in 1978, and I was teaching many years later, and a friend of mine introduced me to a young filmmaker . |
这发生在1978年 多年后我仍然在教书 一个朋友介绍我认识一个电影人 |
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者;
|
His name is Chris Farina . |
他的名字是克里斯法林那 |
Farina:n.淀粉;谷粉;粉末;
|
Chris Farina is here today at his own cost. |
他今天自费来到这里 |
Chris, could you stand up and let them see you -- a young, visionary filmmaker who's made a film. |
克里斯,你可以站起来让大家看看你吗 一个年轻的,有远见的电影工作者拍了这部电影 |
visionary:adj.梦想的;幻影的;n.空想家;梦想者;有眼力的人;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
This film is called "World Peace and Other 4th Grade Achievements." |
电影的名字叫”世界和平和其它四年级生的成就“ |
He proposed the film to me -- it's a great title. |
他向我提出拍摄计划 - 很棒的名字 |
proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式)
|
He proposed the film to me, and I said, "Yeah, maybe it'll be on local TV, and we can say hi to our friends." |
他向我提出拍摄计划 我说”嗯,说不定可以上当地的地方台 我们能向我们的朋友打个招呼。 “ |
But the film has really gone places. |
但这电影远远超过我的想像 |
Now it's still in debt , but Chris has managed, through his own sacrifice , to get this film out. |
虽然仍然在亏损,但克里斯做出许多牺牲 尝试让更多人看到 |
debt:n.债务;借款;罪过; sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献
|
So we made a film and it turns out to be more than a story about me, more than a story about one teacher. |
我们拍了这一部电影 不只是有关我 身为一个老师的故事 |
It's a story that's a testament to teaching and teachers. |
这是有关教学的成功见证和其它老师 |
testament:n.[法]遗嘱;圣约;确实的证明;
|
And it's a beautiful thing. |
非常美好 |
And the strange thing is, when I watch the film -- |
奇怪的是,当我看电影的时候 |
I have the eerie sensation of seeing it -- |
有一种很奇怪的感觉 |
eerie:adj.可怕的;怪异的; sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
|
I saw myself literally disappear . |
我仿佛看到自己消失了 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
What I saw was my teachers coming through me. |
我在自己身上看到 我的老师们的身影 |
I saw my geometry teacher in high school, Mr. Rucell's wry smile under his handlebar mustache. |
我看到高中的几何老师,鲁瑟先生 在他的小胡子下微笑 |
geometry:n.几何学;几何结构; wry:adj.歪斜的,扭歪的;歪曲的;vt.扭曲;扭歪;vi.扭曲;扭歪; handlebar:n.手把;(美)八字胡(等于handlebarmustache);
|
That's the smile I use -- that's his smile. |
我的微笑 - 就是他的微笑 |
I saw Jan Polo's flashing eyes. |
我看到珍保罗发亮的双眼 |
flashing:n.防雨板,盖片; v.闪光; (flash的现在分词)
|
And they weren't flashing in anger, they were flashing in love, intense love for her students. |
它们不是因为愤怒而发亮 而是因为深刻的,对学生的爱而发亮 |
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
|
And I have that kind of flash sometimes. |
我有时也会这样 |
And I saw Miss Ethel J. Banks who wore pearls and high-heels to elementary school every day. |
我看见班克小姐 每天戴着珍珠穿着高跟鞋到小学 |
pearls:n.珍珠;像珍珠之物;(pearl的复数) elementary school:小学;
|
And you know, she had that old-school teacher stare . |
你知道那种老派的老师 |
old-school:adj.古老的;古旧的;传统的; stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视;
|
You know the one. |
都这样看你 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"And I'm not even talking about you behind me, because I've got eyes in the back of my head." |
”我可不是在讲你,我背后的那位仁兄 因为我背后长着眼。 “ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
You know that teacher? |
你认识他吗? |
I didn't use that stare very often, but I do have it in my repertoire . |
我很少用到这个眼神 但我要的话是可以的 |
repertoire:n.全部节目;计算机指令系统;(美)某人或机器的全部技能;
|
And Miss Banks was there as a great mentor for me. |
班克小姐是我的良师益友 |
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导;
|
And then I saw my own parents, my first teachers. |
然后我看到 我自己的父母,我的第一个老师 |
My father, very inventive , spatial thinker. |
我爸爸,一个非常有创造性的思想家 |
inventive:adj.发明的;有发明才能的;独出心裁的; spatial:adj.空间的;存在于空间的;受空间条件限制的;
|
That's my brother Malcolm there on the right. |
坐在右边的是我兄弟马尔康 |
And my mother, who taught me in fourth grade in segregated schools in Virginia, who was my inspiration. |
还有我妈 我在维吉尼亚上种族分隔学校时 的四年级导师 我的灵感来源 |
segregated:adj.被隔离的;v.隔离(segregate的过去式);分离;
|
And really, I feel as though, when I see the film -- |
真的,在我看电影的时候 我感觉到 |
I have a gesture she does, like this -- |
我有和她一样的姿态,像这样 |
gesture:n.手势;姿势;示意动作;表示;v.做手势;用手势表示;
|
I feel like I am a continuation of her gesture. |
我觉得我延续了这个姿态 |
continuation:n.继续;续集;延长;附加部分;扩建物;
|
I am one of her teaching gestures . |
我是她教学??姿态的??一部分 |
gestures:n.手势; v.做手势; (gesture的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And the beautiful thing was, |
美妙的是 |
I got to teach my daughter in elementary school, Madeline. |
我在小学里教到我自己的女儿玛德莲 |
And so that gesture of my mother's continues through many generations. |
于是我母亲的这个姿态 会持续好多代 |
It's an amazing feeling to have that lineage . |
那种传承的感觉 真的好棒 |
lineage:n.血统;家系,[遗]世系;
|
And so I'm here standing on the shoulders of many people. |
于是我在这里,站在这么多人的肩膀上 |
I'm not here alone. |
这里不只有我一人 |
There are many people on this stage right now. |
台上有许多人和我在一起 |
stage right:adv.(演员面对观众时的)舞台右侧;
|
And so this World Peace Game I'd like to tell you about. |
我想和你们谈谈的这个世界和平游戏 |
It started out like this: it's just a four-foot by five-foot plywood board in an inner-city urban school, 1978. |
是这样开始的: 它本来只是1978年在都市贫民区的一张 四英尺乘五英尺的板子 |
plywood:n.夹板,胶合板; inner-city:n.(居民拥挤,住屋破旧的)市中心平民区;adj.市中心的; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
|
I was creating a lesson for students on Africa. |
我正在为学生准备一个有关非洲的教材 |
We put all the problems of the world there, and I thought, let's let them solve it. |
我们把世界上所有问题放在板子上 我想,让他们解决这些问题吧 |
I didn't want to lecture or have just book reading. |
我不想只是讲课或是朗读 |
lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫
|
I wanted to have them be immersed and learn the feeling of learning through their bodies. |
我想要他们学会 全心全意的投入学习 |
immersed:adj.沉入的; v.浸没; (immerse的过去分词和过去式)
|
So I thought, well they like to play games. |
我想,嗯他们喜欢玩游戏 |
I'll make something -- I didn't say interactive; we didn't have that term in 1978 -- but something interactive . |
我可以 - 我不是说互动 1978年根本还没有这个字 但一些可以让他们互动的游戏 |
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
|
And so we made the game, and it has since evolved to a four-foot by four-foot by four-foot |
于是我们做了这个游戏 从那时候开始 它慢慢演变成四英尺立方 |
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
|
Plexiglass structure . |
的耐热玻璃结构 |
Plexiglass:n.树脂玻璃;塑胶玻璃; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
|
And it has four Plexiglass layers . |
里面有四层 |
layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数)
|
There's an outer space layer with black holes and satellites and research satellites and asteroid mining. |
外太空是一层 里头有黑洞和卫星 研究卫星和行星研究 |
outer:adj.外面的,外部的;远离中心的;n.环外命中; asteroid:n.[天]小行星;[无脊椎]海盘车;小游星;adj.星状的;
|
There's an air and space level with clouds that are big puffs of cotton we push around and territorial air spaces and air forces, a ground and sea level with thousands of game pieces on it -- even an undersea level with submarines and undersea mining. |
再来是大气层 被我们推来推去的这些蓬蓬棉花球是云朵 有不同国家的领空和空军 还有平底和海平面,上面有几千种不同游戏块 还有海底世界 有潜水艇和深海矿区 |
puffs:v.吸,抽;使喷出;气喘吁吁;n.少量;千层酥;泡芙;(puff的第三人称单数和复数) push around:v.摆布;欺负;把…推来推去; territorial:adj.领土的;区域的;土地的;地方的;n.地方自卫队士兵; sea level:海平面; undersea:adj.水下的;海面下的; submarines:n.潜艇;(submarine的第三人称单数和复数)
|
There are four countries around the board. |
板子上面有四个国家 |
The kids make up the names of the countries -- some are rich; some are poor. |
孩子们可以为自己的国家取名字- 有些富有有些贫穷 |
They have different assets , commercial and military . |
他们有不同的资产,商业或军师上的 |
assets:n.资产;宝贵的人材;(一项)财物;资产;(asset的名词复数) commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
|
And each country has a cabinet . |
每个国家都有个内阁 |
cabinet:n.内阁;储藏柜;陈列柜;adj.内阁的;小房间用的;玲珑的;细木工做的;
|
There's a Prime Minister , Secretary of State , Minister of Defense and a CFO, or Comptroller . |
有总理,国务卿,国防部长 和财政部长 |
Prime Minister:n.首相;总理; Secretary of State:n.(英国)大臣;(美国)国务卿; Comptroller:n.审计官;监查官;
|
I choose the Prime Minister based on my relationship with them. |
我依照我和他们的关系选择总理 |
I offer them the job, they can turn it down , and then they choose their own cabinet. |
我提出邀请,他们可以拒绝 然后他们可以自己选择内阁 |
turn it down:调低;开小声一点;拒绝;将它下;
|
There's a World Bank , arms dealers and a United Nations . |
里头有世界银行、军火商和联合国 |
World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构); United Nations:n.联合国;
|
There's also a weather goddess who controls a random stock market and random weather. |
还有天气女神 她控制阴晴不定的股票市场和天气 |
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; stock market:股票市场;证券市场;股票交易;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
That's not all. |
这还不是全部 |
And then there's a 13-page crisis document with 50 interlocking problems. |
里头有13页的危机文件 还有50个连锁问题 |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; interlocking:adj.连锁的;n.连锁;咬合作用;
|
So that, if one thing changes, everything else changes. |
如果一件事改变了,其它事也会跟着变 |
I throw them into this complex matrix , and they trust me because we have a deep, rich relationship together. |
我把他们扔进这个复杂的世界 他们信任我,因为我们和他们关系很好 |
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
|
And so with all these crises , we have -- let's see -- ethnic and minority tensions; we have chemical and nuclear spills , nuclear proliferation . |
这些危机 像是 -- 民族和少数民族的冲突 化学和核子外泄 核子武器的增产扩散 |
crises:n.危机,紧要关头;危险期(crisis的复数形式); ethnic:adj.种族的;人种的; minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的; chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; spills:v.(使)洒出; n.洒出(量); (spill的第三人称单数和复数) proliferation:n.增殖,扩散;分芽繁殖;
|
There's oil spills, environmental disasters , water rights disputes , breakaway republics, famine , endangered species and global warming . |
石油外泄,环境灾害 海域纷争,政体分裂 饥荒,动物绝种和温室效应 |
disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数); disputes:n.争论(dispute的复数);v.争论(dispute的单数第三人称); breakaway:n.分离;脱逃; famine:n.饥荒; endangered:v.使遭危险;危及;危害;(endanger的过去分词和过去式) species:n.[生物]物种;种类; global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
|
If Al Gore is here, |
如果高尔在这 |
I'm going to send my fourth-graders from Agnor-Hurt and Venable schools to you because they solved global warming in a week. |
我会派出我两个小学的四年级学生 因为他们可以在一个礼拜内解决全球变暖问题 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And they've done it several times too. |
而且他们已经解决好几次了 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So I also have in the game a saboteur -- some child -- it's basically a troublemaker -- and I have my troublemaker put to use because they, on the surface, are trying to save the world and their position in the game. |
游戏里还有个破坏家 基本上就是个捣蛋鬼 这个麻烦制造者 表面上看起来 是要在游戏里拯救世界和自己的权利 |
saboteur:n.怠工者,破坏者;从事破坏活动者; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; troublemaker:n.捣乱者,闹事者;惹麻烦的人; put to use:使用;利用;
|
But they're also trying to undermine everything in the game. |
但事实上他们是要暗中破坏游戏中的所有一切 |
undermine:vt.破坏,渐渐破坏;挖掘地基;
|
And they do it secretly through misinformation and ambiguities and irrelevancies, trying to cause everyone to think more deeply. |
他们散发错误情报 含混不清,和毫无关联的事物 让游戏中的每个人仔细思考 |
misinformation:n.误报;错误的消息; ambiguities:歧义;模棱两可;
|
The saboteur is there, and we also read from Sun Tzu's "The Art of War." |
那就是游戏中的破坏家 我们也读孙子兵法 |
Fourth-graders understand it -- nine years old -- and they handle that and use that to understand how to, not follow -- at first they do -- the paths to power and destruction , the path to war. |
四年级,9岁的孩子可以理解 可以学习如何灵活应用 刚开始他们只是照着做 刚开始他们 走上争权夺利和毁灭性的 战争之道 |
destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
|
They learn to overlook short-sighted reactions and impulsive thinking, to think in a long-term , more consequential way. |
然后慢慢学会不要短视近利 不要因冲动做出决定 以长期的利弊来检视,思考可能的后果 |
overlook:v.忽略;俯视;视而不见;眺望; short-sighted:adj.目光短浅的;近视的; reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数) impulsive:adj.冲动的;受感情驱使的;任性的; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看; consequential:adj.间接的;结果的;重要的;随之发生的;自傲的;
|
Stewart Brand is here, and one of the ideas for this game came from him with a CoEvolution Quarterly article on a peace force. |
在我们之中的Stewart Brand,其中的一个想法从他而来 从他在共通演化季刊里的 谈论的和平组织而来 |
Brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印; CoEvolution:n.共同进化(指两个以上相互依存的物种共同进化); Quarterly:adj.季度的,按季度的; v.按季度,[农]一季一次地; n.季刊;
|
And in the game, sometimes students actually form a peace force. |
在这个游戏里,有时候学生们会组成一个和平小组 |
I'm just a clock watcher . |
我只负责算时间 |
watcher:n.观察者;看守人;哨兵;(美)选举监票员;
|
I'm just a clarifier. I'm just a facilitator . |
解释问题,促进游戏进行顺利 |
facilitator:n.服务商;促进者;
|
The students run the game. |
学生们控制游戏里的所有细节 |
I have no chance to make any policy whatsoever once they start playing. |
一旦游戏开始 我没有机会可以制定任何政策 |
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; whatsoever:pron.无论什么;
|
So I'll just share with you ... |
我在这里和你分享 - |
(Video) Boy: The World Peace Game is serious. |
(视频)男孩:世界和平游戏是很严肃的 |
You're actually getting taught something like how to take care of the world. |
在其中你可以学习如何解决世界问题 |
See, Mr. Hunter is doing that because he says his time has messed up a lot, and he's trying to tell us how to fix that problem. |
亨特老师说 他这么做是因为他的时代做错很多事情 他想要告诉我们 如何解决这些问题 |
messed:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺(mess的过去分词和过去式)
|
John Hunter: I offered them a -- |
约翰·亨特:我给他们一个 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Actually, I can't tell them anything because I don't know the answer. |
事实上,我没办法告诉他们任何事,因为我也没有答案 |
And I admit the truth to them right up front: I don't know. |
我一开始就告诉他们事实:我不知道 |
And because I don't know, they've got to dig up the answer. |
正因为我不知道,他们必须自己找出解答 |
And so I apologize to them as well. |
于是我向他们道歉 |
I say, "I'm so sorry, boys and girls, but the truth is we have left this world to you in such a sad and terrible shape, and we hope you can fix it for us, and maybe this game will help you learn how to do it." |
我说“小朋友们,我很抱歉 事实是 我们把世界交给你的时候,它是这么混乱 我们希望你可以帮助我们解决问题 说不定这个游戏可以教你们如何解决。 ” |
It's a sincere apology, and they take it very seriously. |
这是个很诚恳的道歉 他们非常认真地接受了 |
sincere:adj.真诚的;诚挚的;真实的;
|
Now you may be wondering what all this complexity looks like. |
现在你可能会想看看这个复杂的游戏看起来是什么样子 |
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势
|
Well when we have the game start, here's what you see. |
游戏开始的时候,它是这个样子 |
(Video) JH: All right, we're going into negotiations as of now. Go. |
(视频)好的,我们现在开始谈判,开始 |
negotiations:n.谈判(negotiation的复数);磋商;
|
(Chatter) |
(讨论声) |
JH: My question to you is, who's in charge of that classroom? |
约翰·亨特:我想问你们,谁在带领这个教室 |
in charge of:负责;主管;
|
It's a serious question: who is really in charge? |
我很认真的问:是谁在带头? |
I've learned to cede control of the classroom over to the students over time. |
这么久以来,我总算学会 把课堂还给学生 |
cede:v.割让;让给;转让;
|
There's a trust and an understanding and a dedication to an ideal that I simply don't have to do what I thought I had to do as a beginning teacher: control every conversation and response in the classroom. |
这里头的信任,理解 和对理想的投入 让我根本不用 做那些我刚开始做老师时所以为我该做的 控制课堂里的的每个讨论和回应 |
dedication:n.奉献;献身;(建筑物等的)落成典礼;(书、音乐或演出前部的)献词; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
It's impossible. Their collective wisdom is much greater than mine, and I admit it to them openly. |
这是不可能的 他们的集体智慧远远超过我 我直接向他们承认这点 |
collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词;
|
So I'll just share with you some stories very quickly of some magical things that have happened. |
我现在很快地和你们分享一些故事 一些神奇的事 |
In this game we had a little girl, and she was the Defense Minister of the poorest nation. |
在游戏里有个小女孩 她是穷国的国防部长 |
And the Defense Minister -- she had the tank corps and Air Force and so forth. |
身为国防部长- 她握有坦克队、空军等等 |
corps:n.兵团;(陆军)特种部队;(从事某工作或活动的)一群人; Air Force:n.空军;
|
And she was next door to a very wealthy, oil-rich neighbor. |
她的国家在一个非常富有的、充满石油的国家旁边 |
next door to:几乎;与…相邻; oil-rich:石油藏量丰富的;
|
Without provocation , suddenly she attacked, against her Prime Minister's orders, the next-door neighbor's oil fields. |
在无人发起的状况下 她突然违反总理的命令 突击邻国的油田 |
provocation:n.挑衅;激怒;挑拨; next-door:adj.隔壁的;邻家的;adv.邻家;
|
She marched into the oil field reserves , surrounded it, without firing a shot, and secured it and held it. |
她把坦克开进对方的油田 围绕它,却不射击 只是占领并掩护它 |
reserves:n.[油气]储量; v.储备;
|
And that neighbor was unable to conduct any military operations because their fuel supply was locked up. |
邻国无法做出任何反击 因为他们的油田被封住了 |
conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法;
|
We were all upset with her, "Why are you doing this? |
我们都很生气,对她说“你干嘛这样? |
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
|
This is the World Peace Game. What is wrong with you?" |
这可是世界和平游戏哎,你有什么问题啊? “ |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
This was a little girl and, at nine years old, she held her pieces and said, "I know what I'm doing." |
这个小女孩,只有九岁 她只是握着她的棋子,对她的朋友说 |
To her girlfriends she said that. |
”我知道我自己在做什么“ |
That's a breach there. |
于是产生了冲突 |
breach:n.违背;破坏;辜负;中断;v.违反;违背;在…上打开缺口;
|
And we learned in this, you don't really ever want to cross a nine year-old girl with tanks. |
于是我们学到,绝对不要惹火 一个拥有坦克的九岁小女孩 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
They are the toughest opponents . |
她们是竞争激烈的对手 |
opponents:n.对手(opponent的复数形式);
|
And we were very upset. |
我们都很愤怒 |
I thought I was failing as a teacher. Why would she do this? |
我想这是我身为教师的失败:她为什么会这么做? |
But come to find out, a few game days later -- and there are turns where we take negotiation from a team -- actually there's a negotiation period with all teams, and each team takes a turn, then we go back in negotiation, around and around, so each turn around is one game day. |
但随着游戏发展,我逐渐发现原因 每个队伍都有谈判的时候 所有队伍都有一个谈判时间 每一组轮流 我们回到谈判桌,一轮又一轮 一轮就是一天份的游戏 |
So a few game days later it came to light that we found out this major country was planning a military offensive to dominate the entire world. |
几轮谈判以后总算真相大白 我们发现这个大国 正在计划一个大型军事行动 要征服整个世界 |
offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的; dominate:vt.控制;支配;占优势;在…中占主要地位;vi.占优势;处于支配地位;
|
Had they had their fuel supplies, they would have done it. |
如果它们握有石油,就可以达成计划 |
She was able to see the vectors and trend lines and intentions long before any of us and understand what was going to happen and made a philosophical decision to attack in a peace game. |
她比我们先看到这个这个趋势 对方的意图 理解即将发生的事态 做出一个哲学性的决定 在和平游戏里攻击。 |
vectors:n.[数]向量(vector的复数); v.推动…前进; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向; intentions:n.目的,意向,意图;打算;(intention的复数) philosophical:adj.哲学的(等于philosophic);冷静的;
|
Now she used a small war to avert a larger war, so we stopped and had a very good philosophical discussion about whether that was right, conditional good, or not right. |
她用一个小的战争来避免一个大的战争 于是我们暂停游戏,一起参与这个哲学讨论 讨论这究竟是对的 在某些状况下是好的,或是错的 |
avert:vt.避免,防止;转移; conditional:adj.有条件的;假定的;n.条件句;条件语;
|
That's the kind of thinking that we put them in, the situations. |
这就是我们在这种状况下所思考的 |
I could not have designed that in teaching it. |
我无法设计出这种教材 |
It came about spontaneously through their collective wisdom. |
这必须出自自发,出自他们自己的集体智慧 |
spontaneously:adv.自发地;自然地;不由自主地;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Another example, a beautiful thing happened. |
另外一件美好的事发生了 |
We have a letter in the game. |
游戏里有一封信 |
If you're a military commander and you wage troops -- the little plastic toys on the board -- and you lose them, |
你是个将军,你增兵 板子上的一块塑胶玩具- 然后你失去了它 |
commander:n.指挥官;司令官; wage:v.发动;n.(通常指按周领的)工资; on the board:在董事会,将在会上讨论;在那块木板上;
|
I put in a letter. |
我放在信里 |
You have to write a letter to their parents -- the fictional parents of your fictional troops -- explaining what happened and offering your condolences . |
你必须写一封信给他们的家长 你那虚构士兵的虚构家长 解释事情发生的经过,并献上悼词 |
fictional:adj.虚构的;小说的; condolences:n.吊唁;慰唁;(condolence的复数)
|
So you have a little bit more thought before you commit to combat . |
于是在你准备开战的时候 你会三思而行 |
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
|
And so we had this situation come up -- last summer actually, at Agnor-Hurt School in Albemarle County -- and one of our military commanders got up to read that letter and one of the other kids said, "Mr. Hunter, let's ask -- there's a parent over there." |
我们遇见这个状况 上一个夏天 在 Albemarle 区的 Agnor-Hurt 小学 其中一个将军起来朗诵这封信 另外一个学生起来说“亨特先生 那里有个家长” |
commanders:n.指挥官(commander的复数);
|
There was a parent visiting that day, just sitting in the back of the room. |
那天是家长访问学校的日子,他们都坐在教室后面 |
'"Let's ask that mom to read the letter. |
“我们让那个妈妈来读这封信, |
It'll be more realer if she reads it." |
她读会更有真实感。 ” |
So we did, we asked her, and she gamely picked up the letter. |
于是我们问了她,她很配合地拿起信 |
gamely:adv.勇敢地;不屈地;
|
'"Sure." She started reading. She read one sentence. |
“好的。”她开始读,她读了一句 |
She read two sentences. |
两句 |
By the third sentence, she was in tears. |
到了第三句,她泪眼盈框 |
I was in tears. |
我也流泪了 |
Everybody understood that when we lose somebody, the winners are not gloating . |
在场的每个人都懂了 当有人失去性命,胜利的一方并没有什么好得意的 |
gloating:adj.心满意足的;v.扬扬得意;幸灾乐祸;(gloat的现在分词)
|
We all lose. |
我们都是输家 |
And it was an amazing occurrence and an amazing understanding. |
这件事的发生和众人的理解都很神奇 |
occurrence:n.发生;出现;存在;发生的事情;
|
I'll show you what my friend David says about this. |
你们可以看看我朋友大卫怎么说 |
He's been in many battles. |
他经历许多战役 |
(Video) David: We've really had enough of people attacking. |
(影片)大卫:我们真的受够了攻击 |
I mean, we've been lucky [most of] the time. |
虽然大部分时候我们都很幸运 |
But now I'm feeling really weird because I'm living what Sun Tzu said one week. |
但现在我感觉很怪 我现在正经历孙子说的 |
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
|
One week he said, "Those who go into battle and win will want to go back, and those who lose in battle will want to go back and win." |
他说 “那些投身战争并胜利的人 会想回到战场上 那些战役的输家 会想再回去获得胜利。 ” |
And so I've been winning battles, so I'm going into battles, more battles. |
我在许多战役中获得胜利 于是我一次又一次加入他们 |
And I think it's sort of weird to be living what Sun Tzu said. |
我的感觉,很奇异的 就像孙子所描述的 |
JH: I get chills every time I see that. |
每次我看那个影片,我就打冷颤 |
chills:n.寒冷; v.使变冷;
|
That's the kind of engagement you want to have happen. |
这就是你想要的投入程度 |
engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
|
And I can't design that, I can't plan that, and I can't even test that. |
是我所不能计划或设计出来的 我甚至不能试验 |
But it's self-evident assessment . |
但结果很明确 |
self-evident:adj.不言而喻的;不证自明的; assessment:n.评定;估价;
|
We know that's an authentic assessment of learning. |
我们都知道有一些教育成果是不言而喻的 |
authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
|
We have a lot of data, but I think sometimes we go beyond data with the real truth of what's going on. |
我们有很多数据,但我认为有时我们应该用真实的例子 超越这些数据 |
So I'll just share a third story. |
让我分享第三个故事 |
This is about my friend Brennan. |
和我朋友贝南有关 |
We had played the game one session after school for many weeks, about seven weeks, and we had essentially solved all 50 of the interlocking crises. |
有一天我们在下课后玩游戏 几个礼拜,似乎是七个礼拜 我们基本上解决了50个连锁危机 |
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
|
The way the game is won is all 50 problems have to be solved and every country's asset value has to be increased above its starting point . |
赢得游戏的方法就是把50个问题全解决 而且每个国家的资产 都要比游戏开始时更多 |
starting point:n.出发点;基础;
|
Some are poor, some are wealthy. There are billions. |
有些贫穷,有些富有。有好几亿。 |
The World Bank president was a third-grader one time. |
有一次,世界银行总裁是个三年级的学生 |
He says, "How many zeros in a trillion ? I've got to calculate that right away ." |
他说“兆里面有几个零?我需要把这个算对。” |
trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; right away:立刻;
|
But he was setting fiscal policy in that game for high school players who were playing with him. |
他在为其它高中玩家 设立财政政策 |
fiscal:adj.会计的,财政的;国库的;
|
So the team that was the poorest had gotten even poorer. |
于是穷国 变得更穷 |
There was no way they could win. |
他们是不可能赢的 |
And we were approaching four o'clock, our cut-off time -- there was about a minute left -- and despair just settled over the room. |
我们越来越接近下午四点的期限 只剩下一分钟 绝望充满了整个课堂 |
approaching:v.靠近,接近;接洽;建议;要求;(approach的现在分词) cut-off:n.截止;定点;界限;adj.毛边短裤的; despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望; settled:adj.稳定的; v.结束; (settle的过去分词和过去式)
|
I thought, I'm failing as a teacher. |
我想,身为教师,我失败了 |
I should have gotten it so they could have won. |
我应该想办法让他们赢的 |
They shouldn't be failing like this. |
他们不应该这样就失败了 |
I've failed them. |
我让他们失望了 |
And I was just feeling so sad and dejected . |
正在我感觉失望和沮丧时 |
dejected:adj.沮丧的,灰心的;
|
And suddenly, Brennan walked over to my chair and he grabbed the bell, the bell I ring to signal a change or a reconvening of cabinets , and he ran back to his seat, rang the bell. |
贝南走到我身边来 他拿走我手上的响钟 原本是用在内阁重组的时候 他跑回座位,打响它 |
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式) reconvening:vi.再聚会;再集会;vt.再召集;再召开; cabinets:n.陈列柜;内阁;匣子;小房间(cabinet的复数);
|
Everybody ran to his chair: there was screaming; there was yelling, waving of their dossiers . |
每个人都跑到他座位那里,闹成一团 叫着,挥舞着他们的档案 |
dossiers:n.档案;卷宗(dossier的复数);
|
They get these dossiers full of secret documents. |
这些档案里充满秘密文件 |
They were gesticulating; they were running around. |
他们打着手势,满教室乱跑 |
I didn't know what they were doing. I'd lost control of my classroom. |
我不知道他们在做什么,整个教室失控了 |
Principal walks in, I'm out of a job. |
要是校长在那时候走进来,我就失业了 |
Principal:adj.主要的;资本的;n.首长;校长;资本;当事人;
|
The parents were looking in the window. |
家长从窗子外看進来 |
And Brennan runs back to his seat. Everybody runs back to their seat. |
贝南跑回他的座位,每个人都回到原座 |
He rings the bell again. He says, "We have" -- and there's 12 seconds left on the clock -- "we have, all nations, pooled all our funds together. |
他重新敲响钟。他说 - 那时还剩下12秒 “我们集合了所有国家的所有资金 |
funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金;
|
And we've got 600 billion dollars. |
我们有600亿 |
We're going to offer it as a donation to this poor country. |
我们要把这些捐给穷国 |
donation:n.捐赠;捐赠物;赠送;
|
And if they accept it, it'll raise their asset value and we can win the game. |
如果他们接受,他们就可以提升资本,我们就赢得了游戏 |
Will you accept it?" |
你们接受吗? |
And there are three seconds left on the clock. |
那时只剩下三秒 |
Everybody looks at this prime minister of that country, and he says, "Yes." |
每个人都盯着那个国家的总理 他回答“好的。” |
And the game is won. |
于是大家赢得游戏 |
Spontaneous compassion that could not be planned for, that was unexpected and unpredictable . |
自发的仁爱 不能计划的 无法想像预测的 |
compassion:n.同情;怜悯; unexpected:adj.意外的,想不到的; unpredictable:adj.不可预知的;不定的;出乎意料的;n.不可预言的事;
|
Every game we play is different. |
每次的游戏都不同 |
Some games are more about social issues , some are more about economic issues. |
某些游戏有关社会议题 某些有关经济议题 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
Some games are more about warfare . |
有些有关战争 |
warfare:n.战争;冲突;
|
But I don't try to deny them that reality of being human. |
但我从不剥夺他们身为人的真实状态 |
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求;
|
I allow them to go there and, through their own experience, learn, in a bloodless way, how not to do what they consider to be the wrong thing. |
我让他们去探索 以一种不流血的方式,自己去经历 如何不去做那些自己认为错误的事 |
bloodless:adj.不流血的;无血色的;没有精神的;
|
And they find out what is right their own way, their own selves. |
让他们找到什么是对的 用他们自己的方法,自己找 |
And so in this game, |
在这个游戏里 |
I've learned so much from it, but I would say that if only they could pick up a critical thinking tool or creative thinking tool from this game and leverage something good for the world, they may save us all. |
我学了很多 我必须说 倘若 他们可以从游戏里 找到批判性思考 和创意思考的方式 把那变成真正可以解决世界问题的方法 来拯救我们所有人 |
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; creative:adj.创造性的; leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购;
|
If only. |
如果。 |
And on behalf of all of my teachers on whose shoulders I'm standing, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. |
感谢我所有的老师 他们的经验传承 谢谢,谢谢,谢谢 |
on behalf of:代表;为了;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |