返回首页

JohnDoerr_2020T-_如何让电网脱碳,以实现全面电动化_-

John Doerr: Hello, Hal! 约翰·杜尔(John Doerr): 哈尔,你好!
Hal Harvey: John, nice to see you. 哈尔·哈维(Hal Harvey): 约翰,很高兴见到你!
JD: Nice to see you too. 约翰·杜尔:我也一样。
HH: So John, we've got a big challenge. 哈尔·哈维(Hal Harvey): 约翰,我们现在有个大麻烦。
We need to get carbon out of the atmosphere . 我们必须减少,甚至停止
We need to stop emitting carbon, drive it to zero by 2050. 向大气中排放二氧化碳, 并在 2050 年实现零排放,
We need to be halfway there by 2030. 也就是说,我们需要在 2030 年 减少一半的排放量。
Where are we now? 我们现在处在什么阶段呢?
JD: As you know, we're dumping 55 billion tons of carbon pollution in our precious atmosphere every year, as if it's some kind of free and open sewer . 约翰·杜尔:要知道, 我们现在每年会向大气中 排放 550 亿吨的二氧化碳, 就好像大气是个公共排水沟一样。[00:30]
carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; emitting:v.发出,射出,散发(光、热、声音、气等);(emit的现在分词) dumping:n.倾倒,倾卸;v.丢弃,扔掉;抛弃;抛售;(dump的现在分词) precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的; sewer:n.下水道; vt.为…铺设污水管道; vi.清洗污水管;
To get halfway to zero by 2030, we're going to have to reduce annual emissions by about 10 percent a year. 如果要在 2030 年 减少一半的排放量, 那我们必须每年 减少 10% 的排放。
And we've never reduced annual emissions in any year in the history of the planet. 重点在于,我们过去的 年均排放量从未减少过, 不管在历史上的哪一年。
So let's break this down. 我们来具体分析一下。
Seventy-five percent of the emissions come from the 20 largest emitting countries. 75% 的二氧化碳排放都来自 世界上排放量最大的20 个国家,
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
And from four sectors of their economy . 尤其在四个主要的经济领域。
The first is grid . 第一个是能源,
Second, transportation . 第二个是交通,
The third from the buildings. 第三是建筑,
And the fourth from industrial activities. 第四是工业。[01:06]
sectors:n.部门; v.把…划成扇形; economy:n.经济;节约;理财; grid:n.网格;格子,栅格;输电网; transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票;
We've got to fix all those, at speed and at scale . 我们必须快速并大规模处理 这四个领域所排放的二氧化碳。
HH: It is now cheaper to generate electricity from clean energy sources than from dirty energy sources to create electricity. 哈尔·哈维: 目前,用清洁能源发电 比用传统能源发电的成本 还要低。
And what that does is it means it's possible to decarbonize the grid, and then use that clean electricity to run everything else in the economy. 这样一来, 就有可能使电网去碳化, 然后利用清洁的电力来满足 经济领域的其他一切能源需求。
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; generate:v.产生;引起; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数) decarbonize:vt.除去碳素;脱去…的碳(等于decarburize);
So an electric vehicle charged off a clean grid is a clean vehicle. 比如,一台使用 绿色能源供电的电动汽车 就是一台绿色的汽车。
An electric house run off of a clean grid is a clean house, and so forth. 一个利用绿色能源供电的建筑 就是一个绿色建筑,诸如此类。
So the shorthand I like to use is, decarbonize the grid and electrify everything. 所以概括来说, 就是用去碳化的电网 满足一切供能需求。
vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物; shorthand:n.速记;速记法;adj.速记法的; electrify:v.使电气化;使通电;使兴奋;
This can happen at a much more rapid pace because of the dramatic declines in clean energy. 介于绿色能源价格的大幅下降, 我们现在可以更快的实现这个目标。
Solar energy has dropped 80 percent in price in the last decade, and wind has dropped by half. 在过去的 10 年里, 太阳能的价格下降了 80%, 而风力发电的成本 也下降了一半。
The point is, we have the technologies for a big step to get this going. 重点是,我们已经拥有了 推行这一策略的技术。
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的; declines:vi.下降;衰退;拒绝(decline的第三人称单数); technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
The concurrent demand means we have to stop building polluting cars. 那么同时,我们还要停止生产 会对环境造成污染的汽车。
We have to stop creating more internal combustion engines, and more leaky houses, and more dirty factories. 我们必须生产更少的内燃机, 建造更少的污染型建筑和工厂。
Because those are a drag on our ability to decarbonize the entire economy. 因为这些会严重拖延 我们实现零排放的计划。
concurrent:adj.并发的;一致的;同时发生的;n.[数]共点;同时发生的事件; internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; combustion:n.燃烧,氧化;骚动; leaky:adj.漏的;有漏洞的; drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石;
JD: Well, I think a key question, Hal, is do we have the technology that we need to replace fossil fuels to get this job done? 约翰·杜尔:哈尔,我觉得 最大的问题是,我们是否有合适的技术 来取代化石燃料,以实行这个计划?
And my answer is no. 我的答案是,没有。
I think we're about 70, maybe 80 percent of the way there. 我们大概实现了七成, 或者八成的目标。
For example, we urgently need a breakthrough in batteries . 举个例子,我们现在急需 突破性的电池技术。
Our batteries need to be higher energy density . 这些电池需要有更高的能量密度,[02:27]
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的; urgently:adv.迫切地;紧急地;急切地; breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的; batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数) density:n.密度;
They need to have enhanced safety, faster charging. 必须更安全、充电速度更快,
They need to take less space and less weight, and above all else, they need to cost a lot less. 还要更小、更轻, 最重要的是,价格要更低。
In fact, we need new chemistries that don't rely on scarce cobalt . 准确来说,我们需要探索新的化学元素, 而不是一味地依赖稀有的钴。
enhanced:adj.加强的;增大的;v.提高;加强(enhance的过去分词); rely:vi.依靠;信赖; scarce:adv.勉强;刚;几乎不;简直不;adj.缺乏的;不足的;稀少的; cobalt:n.[化学]钴;钴类颜料;由钴制的深蓝色;
And we're going to need lots of these batteries. 而且我们需要很多这种新型电池。
We desperately need much more research in clean energy technology. 在绿色能源科技方面, 我们迫切的需要进行更多研究。
The US invests about 2.5 billion dollars a year. 美国每年都会 在这类领域投资 25 亿美金。
Do you know how much Americans spend on potato chips ? 你知道每年美国人在薯片上 会花掉多少钱吗?
HH: No. 哈尔·哈维: 不知道。
JD: The answer is 4 billion dollars. 约翰·杜尔: 答案是 40 亿。[02:57]
desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地; invests:v.投资;花费(invest的三单形式); chips:炸土豆条(chip的复数)
Now what do you think of that? 你怎么想?
HH: Upside down . 哈尔·哈维: 这两个数字应该反过来。
But this all comes together, in my opinion , in the realm of policy . 我个人觉得, 这最终要归咎于政策问题。
We need dramatic accelerants , is what you're saying. 你的意思是,我们需要大幅加速
Accelerants in R and D, but also accelerants in deployment . 相关技术的研发和部署。
Upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的; in my opinion:在我看来;我认为; realm:n.领域,范围;王国; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; accelerants:n.促进剂;触媒;adj.促进的;加速的;催速的; deployment:n.调度,部署;
Deployment is innovation , because deployment drives prices down. 部署非常的关键, 因为可以大幅降低价格。
The right policy can turn things around , and we've seen it happen already in the electricity sector. 正确的政策能改变局势。 我们也在能源领域 见证过类似的改变。
So, electricity regulators have asked for ever cleaner sources of electricity: more renewables , less coal, less natural gas . 能源监管机构一直以来 都在提出同样的要求, 更清洁的能源,多用可再生能源, 少用煤炭和天然气。
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; turn things around:扭转干坤;扭转时局; regulators:n.调整者;调节阀(regulator的复数形式); renewables:n.可再生能源(renewable的复数); natural gas:n.天然气;
And it's working. 这确实起到了一些效果,
It's working pretty brilliantly , actually. 应该说效果还相当不错,
But it's not enough. 但是还远远不够。
So the German government recognized the possibility of driving down the price of clean energy. 德国政府已经认识到了 降低绿色能源价格的可能性。
And so they put in orders on the books. 于是他们制定了新的政策,
They agreed to pay an extra price for early phases of solar energy, presuming the price would drop. 同意对太阳能领域的 早期研发进行更多投资, 并预测绿色能源的价格 会持续降低。[03:39]
brilliantly:adv.灿烂地;辉煌地;光亮地; recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式) extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: phases:n.阶段,时期(phase的复数形式);v.逐步实行(phase的三单形式); presuming:adj.专横的;冒昧的;无耻的;
They created the demand signal using policy. 他们创造了“需求信号”——
The Chinese created a supply signal, also using policy. 中国也创造了他们自己的“供应信号”, 也是通过制定相应的政策。
They decided that solar was a strategic part of their future economy. 他们判断,太阳能将会是 他们未来经济发展的 一个战略组成部分。
So you had this unwritten agreement between the two countries, one buying a lot, the other producing a lot, that helped drive the price down 80 percent. 所以现在这两个国家形成了 一个非书面协议, 一个负责大量采购, 一个负责大量生产, 从而将价格降低了 80%。
strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的; unwritten:adj.不成文的;口头的;没有记录的;
We should be doing that with 10 technologies, or a dozen, around the world. 哈尔·哈维:我们应该 在全球范围内采取这种政策, 应用于多种不同的科技领域。
We need policy as the magic sauce to go through those four sectors in the biggest countries, in all countries. 我们需要把类似的政策 应用到 20 个碳排放最多的国家, 甚至是所有国家的 这四个领域。
And one of the things that animates me is that this requires people who are concerned about climate change, which should be everybody, those folks have to apply their energies on the policies that matter with the decision-makers who matter. 其中让我感到非常激动的 一个方面就是, 这需要所有关注气候变化的人, 应该是每一个人, 都能参与其中。 我们必须把精力集中在 那些对重要的决策者来说 很关键的政策上。
sauce:n.酱;调味汁;讨厌的话(或举动);v.给…加滋味;(俚)对…说冒昧话; animates:vt.使有生气;使活泼;鼓舞;推动;adj.有生命的; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
If you don't know who the decision-maker is to decarbonize the grid, or to produce electric vehicles in the policy world, you're really not in the game. 如果你不知道 谁在制定碳减排的相关政策, 或者谁正在紧跟政策 生产电动汽车, 那你就还远远没有参与进来。
JD: I want to tell you another story that involves policy, but importantly, plans. 约翰·杜尔:我想谈谈 另外一个关于政策, 确切来说是关于计划的例子。
Now, Shenzhen is a city of 15 million people, an innovative city, in China. 深圳是一个有着 1500 万人口的城市, 是中国的一个创新型城市。
decision-maker:n.决策人; vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数) involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) innovative:adj.革新的,创新的;
And they decided that they were going to move to electric buses. 他们现在决定 全面部署电动公交车。
And so they required all buses be electric. 所以他们要求把所有的公交车 都该换成电力驱动,
In fact, they required parking spots have chargers associated with them. 甚至还要求所有停车位 都要配备充电站。
So today, Shenzhen has 18,000 electric buses. 现在深圳共有 18000 辆电动公交车
It has 21,000 electric taxis. 和 21000 辆电动出租车。
And this goodness didn't just happen. 这不是一朝一夕就能实现的,
It was the result of a thoughtful , written, five-year plan that isn't just a kind of campaign promise. 而是需要一个耗时五年的, 脚踏实地的详细计划, 绝非空口承诺。[05:04]
chargers:n.电光队(球队名); associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的;
Executing against these plans is how mayors get promoted , or fired. 如何实施好这个计划 是跟市长的仕途绑定的。
So it's really deadly serious. 所以他们非常重视这一承诺。
It has to do with carbon, and it has to do with health, with jobs, and with overall economic strength. 这关系到碳排放, 关系到公众健康、就业 和整体的经济实力。
The bottom line is that China today has 420,000 electric buses. 要知道,全中国目前 总共有 42 万辆电动公交车,
Executing:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的现在分词) mayors:市长; promoted:v.促进:促销:提升:(promote的过去分词和过去式) deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; The bottom line:底线;本质内容;最底线;
America has less than 1,000. 而美国只有不到 1000 辆。
So I think the question is: Does the world have a five-year plan? 所以我觉得现在的问题是, 整个世界有没有一个五年计划,
Or a 10-year plan? 或者十年计划?
And I would say to you we have goals, but we don't really have a plan. 我要说的是,我们有目标, 但还没有计划。
What we need are a couple dozen precision policy campaigns and amazing entrepreneurs with awesome teams that are well-funded and focused, with measurable objectives and key results to solve this problem in the 20 largest emitting countries. 我们需要的是几十个有针对性的计划, 一群优秀的企业家和优秀的团队, 他们还必须要有 足够的资金,能够全力以赴, 并且制定可衡量的目标, 能够获得关键性的结果, 以解决这 20 个 碳排放量最大的国家的问题。
We might be able to get there. 我觉得这样我们才能 实现这个目标。
What's your view? 你觉得呢?
Do you think we're going to make it? 我们能否成功?
HH: I'm an optimist , John. I've seen this possible. 哈尔·哈维:约翰,我是个乐观主义者, 我之前已经见证过了奇迹,[06:02]
precision:n.精度,[数]精密度;精确;adj.精密的,精确的; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数) awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的; measurable:adj.可测量的;重要的;重大的; objectives:n.目的(objective的复数形式);目标;宗旨; optimist:n.乐观主义者;乐天派;
I've seen when nations decide to do great things, they can do great things. 见证过不同的国家在下定决心后 都实现了伟大的目标。
Think of America's rural electrification or the interstate highway system we built. 可以想一想美国的乡村电气化, 或者是我们的州际高速公路。
Those are huge projects that transformed the country. 这些都是改变了 国家面貌的伟大成就。
What we did prepping for World War II: we built 300,000 airplanes in four years. 甚至在备战二战的那段时期, 我们在四年里建造了 30 万架飞机。
So if we decide to do something, or when the Germans or the Chinese or the Indians decide to do something, other countries, they can get it done. 所以如果我们决定要做一件事, 无论是德国、中国、印度, 或任何其他国度, 如果决定要实现一个目标, 他们就一定能实现。
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; electrification:n.电气化;带电;充电; interstate:adj.州际的;州与州之间的;n.(美)州际公路; transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式) prepping:v.把…准备好;预备;为(患者)做手术准备;(prep的现在分词) airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数);
But if this is sort of piffling around the edges, we won't get there. 但是如果只是空口承诺, 却没有配备任何实际行动, 我们什么都改变不了。
What do you think? Are you optimistic ? 你觉得呢? 你对前景是否乐观?
JD: My take on this is, I may not be optimistic, but I'm hopeful. 约翰·杜尔:我对此 并不是很乐观,但还是心怀希望。
I really think the crucial question is: Can we do what we must, at speed and at scale? 我觉得最重要的问题是, 我们到底能否完成必须要做的事情, 而且速度够快,规模够大?
piffling:adj.琐碎的;不足道的;v.做傻事;说无聊话(piffle的ing形式); optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的; crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
The good news is, it's now clearly cheaper to save the planet than to ruin it. 好在,拯救地球 比毁掉地球的代价要小得多,
The bad news is, we are fast running out of time. 然而可惜的是,我们没多少时间了。
ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产;