返回首页

JohnDoerr_2007-_风险投资放眼绿色科技拯救环境_

I'm really scared. I don't think we're going to make it. 我真的很害怕,我觉得我们改变不了环境现状。
Probably by now most of you have seen Al Gore's amazing talk. 你们大部分人应该都听过阿尔·戈尔那个著名的演讲吧。
Shortly after I saw that, we had some friends over for dinner with the family. The conversation turned to global warming , and everybody agreed, there's a real problem. 我刚听完那个演讲,就来了一些朋友,与我们一家共进晚餐, 其间我们谈到全球变暖, 大家都认为这确实是个问题。
global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖;
We've got a climate crisis . 我们正面对气候危机。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
So, we went around the table to talk about what we should do. 因此,我们围坐在桌旁,讨论我们应该做什么。
The conversation came to my 15-year-old daughter, Mary. 我15岁的女儿Mary听到了我们的谈话。
She said, "I agree with everything that's been said. 她说:“我赞成你们所说的。”
I'm scared and I'm angry." And then she turned to me and said, "Dad, your generation created this problem, you'd better fix it." Wow. 然后她又对我说:“我很害怕也很生气 爸爸,气候变暖是你们这代人造成的,你们应该想办法解决。”
All the conversation stopped. All the eyes turned to me. 屋子里一下安静下来,所有人都看着我。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't know what to say. Kleiner's second law is, "There is a time when panic is the appropriate response ." 我哑口无言。根据克莱纳·伯金斯Kleiner(美国著名风险投资公司)第二条法则 “有时候惊慌失措才是最恰当的反应”
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And we've reached that time. We cannot afford to underestimate this problem. If we face irreversible and catastrophic consequences , we must act, and we must act decisively . 我们也已经到了惊慌失措的时候,我们不能低估 这个问题。如果它导致的后果是不可逆转的,灾难性的, 那么我们必须行动起来,坚决果断地行动起来。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; underestimate:v.低估;看轻;n.低估; irreversible:adj.不可逆的;不能取消的;不能翻转的; catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); decisively:adv.果断地;决然地;
I've got to tell you, for me, everything changed that evening. 说实话,那个晚上改变了一切。
And so, my partners and I, we set off on this mission to learn more, to try to do much more. So, we mobilized . We got on airplanes . 之后,我和我的合伙人开始一起探究这方面的问题, 一起努力改变现况。我们做动员工作。我们登上飞机
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; mobilized:v.组织;动员;调动;调用;(mobilize的过去式和过去分词) airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数);
We went to Brazil . We went to China and to India, to Bentonville, Arkansas, and to Washington, D.C. and to Sacramento . 飞到巴西,中国还有印度, 飞到本顿维尔,阿肯色州,华盛顿还有萨克拉门托。
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家); Sacramento:n.萨克拉门托(美国加州首府);
And so, what I'd like to do now is to tell you about what we've learned in those journeys . 现在,我想告诉你们的是 我们在旅途中的所见所闻。
Because the more we learned, the more concerned we grew. 看得越多,我们就越担心。
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
You know, my partners at Kleiner and I were compulsive networkers, and so when we see a big problem or an opportunity like avian flu or personalized medicine, we just get together the smartest people we know. 我克莱纳·伯金斯Kleiner的合伙人跟我一样,都致力于公共关系网络的拓展。 当发现一个难题或者一个机会, 例如禽流感或个体化用药, 我们就会找来一些我们认识的最聪明的专家老手。
compulsive:adj.强制的;强迫的; avian:adj.鸟的;鸟类的;n.鸟; personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式) get together:聚会
For this climate crisis, we assembled a network, really, of superstars , from policy activists to scientists and entrepreneurs and business leaders. Fifty or so of them. 对于气候危机,我们同样也构建了一个联系网, 网罗各界精英,有来自政界的,也有科学家以及企业家, 还有商界领袖。总共大概50个人。
assembled:v.聚集;集合;收集;装配;组装;(assemble的过去分词和过去式) superstars:n.(影视界等的)超级明星;超星体;(superstar的复数) policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
And so, I want to tell you about what we've learned in doing that and four lessons I've learned in the last year. 接下来我要告诉你们通过网罗这些精英,我们有什么成果, 以及去年我学到的四样东西。
The first lesson is that companies are really powerful, and that matters a lot. This is a story about how Wal-Mart went green, and what that means. 首先,我认识到企业的力量是很强大的 这点意义非凡。有个故事 关于沃尔玛支持环保及其意义的故事。
Wal-Mart:n.沃尔玛;
Two years ago, the CEO, Lee Scott, believed that green is the next big thing, and so Wal-Mart made going green a top priority . 两年前,沃尔玛的首席执行官Lee Scott坚信环保 将是大势所趋。因此,沃尔玛把环保作为首要任务。
priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事;
They committed that they're going to take their existing stores and reduce their energy consumption by 20 percent, and their new stores by 30 percent, and do all that in seven years. 他们承诺,将旗下已开门店 的能耗降低20%, 新开门店的能耗降低30%,用7年时间来达成这个目标。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
The three biggest uses of energy in a store are heating and air conditioning , then lighting, and then refrigeration . 门店中最耗能的三个项目分别是供暖空调, 以及照明和制冷。
air conditioning:n.空调系统;空气调节; refrigeration:n.制冷;冷藏;[热]冷却;
So, look what they did. 让我们看看沃尔玛是怎么做的。
They painted the roofs of all their stores white. 他们将门店的屋顶刷成白色。
They put smart skylights through their stores so they could harvest the daylight and reduce the lighting demands. 在门店里安装天窗, 这样就能够接收到光照,减少照明需求。
skylights:n.[建]天窗(skylight的复数);v.使用天窗采光(skylight的三单形式); daylight:n.日光;
And, third, they put the refrigerated goods behind closed doors with LED lighting. 另外,他们将冷冻食品 摆在关闭的门背后,用LED照明节能。
refrigerated:v.使冷却;使变冷;冷藏;(refrigerate的过去式和过去分词) behind closed doors:秘密;秘密地;紧闭的门后;与外界隔绝地;
I mean, why would you try to refrigerate a whole store? 你们说有什么必要对整个门店制冷?
These are really simple, smart solutions based on existing technology . 道理其实很简单,用现有科技巧妙节能。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Why does Wal-Mart matter? Well, it's massive . 为什么例举沃尔玛这个例子?因为它意义非凡。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
They're the largest private employer in America. 沃尔玛是美国最大的民营企业雇主,
employer:n.雇主,老板;
They're the largest private user of electricity . 用电大户,
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
They have the second-largest vehicle fleet on the road. 拥有全美第二多的车队。
vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物; fleet:n.舰队; v.浅; v.掠过; adj.跑得快的;
And they have one of the world's most amazing supply chains, 60,000 suppliers. If Wal-Mart were a country, it would be the sixth-largest trading partner with China. 另外,它有世界上最惊人的供应链之一, 包括六万个供应商。如果沃尔玛是一个国家, 它将是中国第六大贸易伙伴。
And maybe most important, they have a big effect on other companies. 最关键的是,沃尔玛对其他公司有很大影响。
When Wal-Mart declares it's going to go green and be profitable , it has a powerful impact on other great institutions . 当它宣布将致力于降耗环保并且仍然保持盈利, 这对其他大机构产生了很大的影响。
profitable:adj.有利可图的;赚钱的;有益的; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
So, let me tell you this: 让我来告诉你们:
When Wal-Mart achieves 20 percent energy reductions , that's going to be a very big deal. But I'm afraid it's not enough. 沃尔玛降低20%能耗 意义重大。但我认为这还不够。
reductions:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;(reduction的复数)
We need Wal-Mart and every other company to do the same. 我们需要沃尔玛以及其他公司共同致力于降耗环保。
The second thing that we learned is that individuals matter, and they matter enormously . 第二,我们意识到个人的作用也不可或缺 而且相当重要。
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); enormously:adv.巨大地,庞大地;非常地,在极大程度上;
I've got another Wal-Mart story for you, OK? 现在我要讲另一个关于沃尔玛的故事。
Wal-Mart has over 125 million U.S. customers. 沃尔玛拥有一亿两千五百多万美国顾客。
That's a third of the U.S. population. 这个数目相当于全美人口的三分之一。
65 million compact fluorescent light bulbs were sold last year. 去年沃尔玛售出6500万复合荧光灯泡,
compact:n.合同,契约;小粉盒;adj.紧凑的,紧密的;简洁的;vt.使简洁;使紧密结合; fluorescent:adj.荧光的;萤光的;发亮的;n.荧光;日光灯; bulbs:n.[电]灯泡;[植]鳞茎;大浇斗(bulb的复数);
And Wal-Mart has committed they're going to sell another 100 million light bulbs in the coming year. But it's not easy. 同时它承诺还将售出 100万灯泡,这要在下一年内完成,这并不简单。
Consumers don't really like these light bulbs. 顾客实际上并不喜欢用这种灯泡。
Consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数)
The light's kind of funny, they won't dim , takes a while for them to start up. 这种灯泡蛮有意思的,它的光模糊, 需要一段时间才慢慢亮起来。
dim:adj.暗淡的,昏暗的; v.使暗淡,使失去光泽; n.笨蛋,傻子;
But the pay-off is really enormous. 不过回报率超高,
pay-off:n.取得成功;清偿债务;
100 million compact fluorescent light bulbs means that we'll save 600 million dollars in energy bills, and 20 million tons of CO2 every year, year in and year out . 100万复合荧光灯泡意味着 每年能源上的花费能节约600万美元, 二氧化碳排放量能够减少2千万吨,年年如此,就很了不得。
year in and year out:年复一年;一年到头;
It does seem really hard to get consumers to do the right thing. 但要顾客都作出正确的选择来支持节能似乎比较困难。
It is stupid that we use two tons of steel, glass, and plastic to haul our sorry selves to the shopping mall . 我们用两吨钢材,玻璃以及塑料 将自己送到超市,这实在是愚蠢的行为。
haul:v.拉; n.大批赃物; shopping mall:un.商业区林荫路;
It's stupid that we put water in plastic bottles in Fiji and ship it here. 我们用塑料瓶子装水 并且这是在斐济完成的,然后再运到这儿来,也是个愚蠢的行为。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's hard to change consumer behavior, because consumers don't know how much this stuff costs. Do you know? 顾客行为是很难改变的, 因为顾客并不知道这么做所造成的后果,你们知道吗?
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
Do you know how much CO2 you generated to drive here or fly here? 你知道你开车过来或者乘飞机过来产生了多少二氧化碳吗?
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词)
I don't know, and I should. 我不知道,但我最好知道。
Those of us who care about all this would act better if we knew what the real costs were. 那些关注环保的人就会注意他们的行为,选择更有利于环境的方式, 如果知道各种行为所需的环境代价。
But as long as we pretend that CO2 is free, as long as these uses are nearly invisible , how can we expect change? 但只要我们认为二氧化碳是免费的, 我们各种行为所产生的二氧化碳是不可见的,我们又怎么想要去改变现状?
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
I'm really afraid, because I think the kinds of changes we can reasonably expect from individuals are going to be clearly not enough. 我真的很担心,因为我觉得 仅仅个别人致力于各种节能改变 还远远不够。
reasonably:adv.合理地;相当地;适度地;
The third lesson we learned is that policy matters. It really matters. 我所领悟到的第三点,政策意义重大。
In fact, policy is paramount . 事实上,政策是最重要的。
paramount:adj.最重要的,主要的;至高无上的;n.最高统治者;
I've got a behind-the-scenes story for you about that green tech network I described . 让我告诉你们一个幕后故事吧, 关于我说过的绿色科技网络的故事。
behind-the-scenes:adj.幕后的; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
At the end of our first meeting, we got together to talk about what the action items would be, how we'd follow up. 在我们联系网成员的第一次会议上,我们讨论了 针对什么样的行为应该怎么跟进。
items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数)
And Bob Epstein raised a hand. He stood up. Bob Epstein举手,并站起来。
You know, Bob's that Berkeley techie type who started Sybase. Bob是伯克利的电脑高手,自己开了家公司,叫sybase。
techie:n.高科技专家;热衷电子学的电子迷;技师;
Well, Bob said the most important thing we could do right now is to make it clear in Sacramento, California that we need a market-based system of mandates that's going to cap and reduce greenhouse gases in California. Bob认为我们现在要做的最重要的事 就是弄清在加利福尼亚州的萨克拉门托 我们需要一个绿色市场为基础导向系统 用来限制、减少该州的温室气体排放。
mandates:n.授权;命令,指令;委托管理;受命进行的工作;vt.授权;托管; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房;
It's necessary and, just as important; it's good for the California economy . 这是非常必要且重要的, 对加利福尼亚经济有益。
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
So, eight of us went to Sacramento in August and we met with the seven undecided legislators and we lobbied for AB32. 因此,我们一行八人8月份去萨克拉门托,会见 七位立法者,他们当时还未决定,我们游说他们通过AB32议案。
undecided:adj.未定的;未决定的;不稳定的; legislators:n.立法委员;(legislator的复数) lobbied:v.游说(从政者或政府);(lobby的过去分词和过去式)
You know what? Six of those seven voted yes in favor of the bill, so it passed, and it passed by a vote of 47 to 32. 你们知道吗,他们当中六位同意通过这项议案, 于是AB32通过了,以47人同意32人反对的投票结果通过了。
(Applause) (掌声)
Please. Thank you. 谢谢。
I think it's the most important legislation of 2006. Why? 我认为这是2006年最重要的一部法规,为什么这么说呢?
legislation:n.立法;法律;
Because California was the first state in this country to mandate 25 percent reduction of greenhouse gases by 2020. 因为加利福尼亚是美国第一个 强制执行在2020年时减少25%温室气体排放的州。
And the result of that is, we're going to generate 83,000 new jobs, 4 billion dollars a year in annual income, and reduce the CO2 emissions by 174 million tons a year. 这么做能创造8万3千个新的工作岗位, 年收入增加40亿美元,同时二氧化碳排放量 一年减少1. 74亿吨。
annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
California emits only seven percent of U.S. CO2 emissions. 加利福尼亚的二氧化碳排放量仅占全美的7%,
emits:发出;放射;发行(emit的动词单数第三人称形式);
It's only a percent and a half of the country's CO2 emissions. It's a great start, but I've got to tell you -- where I started -- I'm really afraid. 强制减排后,这个数字变为1.5%。这是个良好的开端。 但我要说的是,我迈出的这一步,我非常担心,
In fact, I'm certain California's not enough. 事实上,加利福尼亚这么做还不够。
Here's a story about national policy that we could all learn from. 这里有个关于国家政策的故事,我想我们都能从中学到点东西。
You know Tom Friedman says, "If you don't go, you don't know?" 汤姆 弗里德曼Tom Friedman(《世界是平的》作者)说过“如果你不付诸行动,那么你永远不会发现真相”。
Well, we went to Brazil to meet Dr. Jose Goldemberg. 于是我们前往巴西拜访Jose Goldemberg博士,
He's the father of the ethanol revolution . 他是乙醇革命之父。
ethanol:n.[有化]乙醇,[有化]酒精; revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
He told us that Brazil's government mandated that every gasoline station in the country would carry ethanol. 他告诉我们巴西政府强制要求, 全国所有加油站都必须安装乙醇加油泵,
mandated:adj.托管的; v.强制执行; (mandate的过去分词和过去式) gasoline:n.汽油;
And they mandated that their new vehicles would be flex-fuel compatible , right? 并且新投产的汽车都必须 是智能燃料兼容型的,
vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数) compatible:adj.兼容的;能共处的;可并立的;
They'd run ethanol or ordinary gasoline. 能够使用乙醇或者传统燃料,
And so, here's what's happened in Brazil. 这就是我们在巴西所见到的。
They now have 29,000 ethanol pumps -- this versus 700 in the U.S., and a paltry two in California -- and in three years their new car fleet has gone from four percent to 85 percent flex-fuel. 巴西现拥有2万9千个乙醇加油泵, 相比较巴西,美国有700个,其中加利福尼亚仅仅有2个, 在未来三年内,巴西新增车辆中 拥有智能燃料发动机的车辆将从4%增加到85%。
pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送; versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗; paltry:adj.不足取的;无价值的;琐碎的;卑鄙的;
Compare that to the U.S., five percent are flex-fuel. 相比之下,美国仅有5%智能燃料型汽车,
Compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
And you know what? Most consumers who have them don't even know it. 而大部分这种车的所有者竟然不知道他们的爱车是智能燃料型的。
So, what's happened in Brazil is, they've replaced 40 percent of the gasoline consumed by their automotive fleet with ethanol. 巴西已经将 汽车所使用汽油的40%替换为乙醇。
consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式) automotive:adj.汽车的;自动的;
That's 59 billion dollars since 1975 that they didn't ship to the Middle East . 从1975年启动乙醇燃料发展计划以来,巴西已经在燃料方面省下了590亿美元, 他们不用从中东运石油过来。
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部);
It's created a million jobs inside that country, and it's saved 32 million tons of CO2. It's really substantial . 同时这也创造了100万工作岗位, 减少了3200万吨二氧化碳,这是非常大的数目。
substantial:adj.大量的;实质的;内容充实的;n.本质;重要材料;
That's 10 percent of the CO2 emissions across their entire country. 相当于巴西全国上下二氧化碳排放量的10%。
But Brazil's only 1.3 percent of the world's CO2 emission. 但巴西所排放的二氧化碳仅占全球的1.3%,
So, Brazil's ethanol miracle I'm really afraid is not enough. 因此,我想巴西的乙醇奇迹还远远不够。
miracle:n.奇迹,奇迹般的人或物;惊人的事例;
In fact, I'm afraid all of the best policies we have are not going to be enough. 事实上,我认为目前我们所有最好的政策 也不够。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
The fourth and final lesson we've learned is about the potential of radical innovation . 我们领悟到的第四点即最后一点 是有关突破性创新的潜力。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
So, I want to tell you about a tragic problem and a breakthrough technology. 我要告诉你们一个悲剧 和一个突破性技术。
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的; breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的;
Every year a million and a half people die of a completely preventable disease . That's malaria . 6,000 people a day. 每年有150万人死于 一种完全能够避免的疾病,即疟疾,它导致每天6000人死亡,
preventable:adj.可预防的;可阻止的;可防止的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气;
All for want of two dollars worth of medications that we can buy at the corner drugstore . 我们在街角药店就能买到的2美元药就可以挽救他们 的生命,
medications:n.药;药物;(medication的复数) drugstore:n.[药]药房(常兼售化妆品,杂志等杂货);(美)杂货店;
Well, two dollars, two dollars is too much for Africa. 但是2美元对非洲来说已经算是一大笔钱了。
So, a team of Berkeley researchers with 15 million dollars from the Gates Foundation is engineering , designing a radical new way to make the key ingredient , called artemisinin , and they're going to make that drug 10 times cheaper. 一些来自伯克利的研究者们用 盖茨基金会贡献的1500万美元,试设计一种突破性的新方法。 来生产上述药物的主要成分,即青蒿素。 他们也致力于降低成本,使药物售价比原来便宜10倍。
Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) ingredient:n.原料;要素;组成部分;adj.构成组成部分的; artemisinin:n.青蒿素(抗疟药);青蒿提取物;
And in doing so, they'll save a million lives -- at least a million lives, a year. A million lives. 通过他们的努力,100万人因此获救, 至少一年100万人,100万个生命。
Their breakthrough technology is synthetic biology . 他们的突破性技术叫做合成生物学,
synthetic:adj.综合的;合成的,人造的;n.合成物; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
This leverages millions of years of evolution by redesigning bugs to make really useful products. 它影响了数百万年的进化系统, 通过重新设计药物,修复其缺陷,使得药物能真正起到作用。
leverages:n.手段,影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效率; redesigning:v.重构;重设计(redesign的现在分词); bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数)
Now, what you do is, you get inside the microbe , you change its metabolic pathways , and you end up with a living chemical factory. 然后你所要做的就是观察微生物, 改变它的代谢方式,从而变成一个鲜活的化工厂,产生我们所需的青蒿素。
microbe:n.细菌,微生物; metabolic:adj.变化的;新陈代谢的; pathways:n.小路;小径(pathway的复数); chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
Now, you may ask, 你们可能有疑问,
John, what has this got to go with green and with climate crisis? 这跟绿色科技,气候危机有什么关系?
Well, I'll tell you -- a lot. 我会向你们一一道来。
We've now formed a company called Amyris, and this technology that they're using can be used to make better biofuels . 我和我的合伙人共同创立了一家公司,Amyris。前面谈到的技术 能够用来生产更好的生物燃料。
biofuels:n.[能源]生物燃料;生质燃料;生质能源(biofuel的复数形式);
Don't let me skip over that. Better biofuels are a really big deal. 这个我必须要说。这项应用意义重大,
That means we can precisely engineer the molecules in the fuel chain and optimize them along the way. 它使得我们能够在燃料链中精确地制造分子, 并且是边制造边优化分子。
molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数); optimize:vt.使最优化,使完善;vi.优化;持乐观态度;
So, if all goes well, they're going to have designer bugs in warm vats that are eating and digesting sugars to excrete better biofuels. 如果一切进展顺利,微生物将在温暖的大缸环境中生成我们所需的特定菌类。 这些菌能够吞食并消化糖分,然后分泌出更好的生物燃料。
vats:abbr.电视辅助胸腔镜手术(Video-assistedThoracoscopicSurgery); digesting:n.蒸煮;v.消化;吸收;接受,领会(digest的现在分词); excrete:vt.排泄;分泌;
I guess that's better living through bugs. 我想这些菌将为我们创造更加美好的生活。
Alan Kay is famous for saying the best way to predict the future is to invent it. Alan Kay(图形用户界面之父)有句名言, 预测未来的最好方式就是自己动手创造。
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
And, of course, at Kleiner we, kind of, apologize and say the second best way is to finance it. 在克莱纳·伯金斯Kleiner,我们遗憾地告诉大家, 我们第二好方法就是注资。
second best:adj.第二好的; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
And that's why we're investing 200 million dollars in a wide range of really disruptive new technologies for innovation in green technologies. 这就是我们投资2亿美元 在许多颠覆性新技术方面的原因, 这些技术都是绿色科技的创新。
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) disruptive:adj.破坏的;分裂性的;制造混乱的; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
And we're encouraging others to do it as well. 同时我们也鼓励其他人参与进来,共同投资。
We're talking a lot about this. 我们所讨论的都是这方面的话题。
In 2005, there were 600 million dollars invested in new technologies of the sort you see here. It doubled in 2006 to 1.2 billion dollars. 2005年,有6亿美元投资于 有关绿色科技的新技术。2006年这方面的投资增加了一倍,达到12亿美元,
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式)
But I'm really afraid we need much, much more. 但我想我们还需要更多的支持和投资。
For reference , fact one: 有以下事实供参考,例一:
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用;
Exxon's revenues in 2005 were a billion dollars a day. 2005年埃克森石油公司日收入10亿美元。
revenues:n.[会计]收入;税收;[会计]收益;营业收入(revenue的复数形式);
Do you know, they only invested 0.2 percent of revenues in R&D? 你们知道他们在研发方面的支出仅占日收入的0.2%吗?
Second fact: the President's new budget for renewable energy is barely a billion dollars in total. 例二:总统先生对可再生能源所拨预算 仅仅有10亿美元,
budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
Less than one day of Exxon's revenues. 还不及埃克森日收入。
Third fact: I bet you didn't know that there's enough energy in hot rocks under the country to supply America's energy needs for the next thousand years. And the federal budget calls for a measly 20 million dollars of R&D in geothermal energy. 例三:我打赌你们不知道 美国地下热岩里有足够的能源,能满足全国上下 未来一千年的能量需求。但我们的联邦预算 仅拨了区区2000万美元用于地热能源的研发。
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; measly:adj.患麻疹的;极少的;低贱的; geothermal:adj.[地物]地热的;[地物]地温的;
It is almost criminal that we are not investing more in energy research in this country. 我们不多加投资这个国家能源开发,这简直就是种罪过 。
And I am really afraid that it's absolutely not enough. 我认为投资力度绝对不够。
absolutely not:绝对不会;绝对不是;绝对不行;
So, in a year's worth of learning we found a bunch of surprises. 这一年的深入调研是值得的,我们发现了许多惊喜的东西。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
Who would have thought that a mass retailer could make money by going green? Who would have thought that a database entrepreneur could transform California with legislation? 谁会想到零售巨头 通过节约能源来赚钱?谁会想到 数据库企业家通过立法来带动加利福尼亚环保?
retailer:n.零售商;传播的人; transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
Who would have thought that the ethanol biofuel miracle would come from a developing country in South America ? 谁会想到乙醇生物燃料这个奇迹 竟来自一个南美的发展中国家?
South America:n.南美洲;
And who would have thought that scientists trying to cure malaria could come up with breakthroughs in biofuels? 谁会想到科学家们 治疗疟疾的技术能够使生物燃料研发取得突破?
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; breakthroughs:突破;
And who would have thought that all that is not enough? 谁又会想到这些都还不够?
Not enough to stabilize the climate. 不足以稳定气候,
stabilize:vt.使稳固,使安定;vi.稳定,安定;
Not enough to keep the ice in Greenland from crashing into the ocean. 不足以预防格陵兰岛上的冰融入大海。
The scientists tell us -- and they're only guessing -- that we've got to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by one half, and do it as fast as possible. 科学家告诉我们,他们也只是认为, 我们应该将温室气体排放量降低一半, 并且应该马上行动。
greenhouse gas:n.温室气体(尤指二氧化碳);
Now, we may have the political will to do this in the U.S., but I've got to tell you, we've got only one atmosphere , and so somehow we're going to have to find the political will to do this all around the world. The wild card in this deck is China. 现在美国政界也许会支持环保, 但我要告诉你们的是,我们只有一个大气层, 因此我们必须寻求政治上的帮助, 让全球都行动起来支持环保节能。但中国立场让人费解。
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; wild card:n.通配符;万能符; deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒;
To size the problem, China's CO2 emissions today are 3.3 gigatons , the U.S. is 5.8. Business as usual means we'll have 23 gigatons from China by 2050. 情况大致是这样的,中国现在的二氧化碳排放量为3.3亿吨, 美国是5.8亿吨。照目前的情况发展 到2050年,中国的二氧化碳排放量将达到23亿吨。
gigatons:n.十亿吨; Business as usual:na.照常营业;
That's about as much CO2 as there is in the whole world. 这相当于现在全球所排放的二氧化碳总量。
And if it's business as usual, we're going out of business . 如果我们放任目前的情况发展,那么总有一天所有生产活动都不得不停止。
out of business:破产;歇业;停业;倒闭;
When I was in Davos, China's Mayor of Dalian was pressed about their CO2 strategy , and he said the following, "You know, Americans use seven times the CO2 per capita as Chinese." 我参加达沃斯论坛时,大连市市长曾向媒体透露过, 他们有关二氧化碳排放的战略,以下就是他的原话 “美国人均二氧化碳排放量是中国人均的7倍”
Mayor:n.市长;镇长; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; per capita:adj.每人的;人均的;
Then he asked, "Why should China sacrifice our growth so that the West can continue to be profligate and stupid?" 然后他问:“为什么要中国以自身发展为代价 来实现西方国家愚蠢的挥霍行为?”
sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献 profligate:adj.放荡的,不检点的;恣意挥霍的;n.放荡者;享乐者;
Does anybody here have an answer for him? I don't. 你们能回答他的这个问题吗?我无法回答。
answer for:因…而受罚;对…负责;
We've got to make this economic , so that all people and all nations make the right outcome , the profitable outcome , and therefore the likely outcome. 我们一定要让绿色科技具有经济可行性,从而使所有人所有国家 基于此的生产活动都是有利可图的, 都是可以实现的。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
Energy's a 6 trillion dollar business worldwide . 在全球范围内,能源是一笔价值6万亿美元的生意
trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
It is the mother of all markets. You remember that Internet? 是所有市场的先导者。你们记得因特网吧!
Well, I'll tell you what. Green technologies -- going green -- is bigger than the Internet. 我要告诉你们的是,绿色环保技术 是比因特网还大的一个市场。
It could be the biggest economic opportunity of the 21st century. 它将会成为21世纪最大的经济机会,
Moreover , if we succeed it's going to be the most important transformation for life on the planet since, as Bill Joy says, we went from methane to oxygen in the atmosphere. 另外,如果我们成功挖掘这个市场,那么它将 为这个星球带来有史以来最翻天覆地的变化, 就像Bill Joy所说的,大气层经历了由甲烷到氧气的变化。
Moreover:adv.而且;此外; transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革; methane:n.[有化]甲烷;[能源]沼气;
Now, here's the hard question, if the trajectory of all the world's companies and individuals and policies and innovation is not going to be enough, what are we going to do? I don't know. 这是一个很艰巨的事情,如果整个世界所有的 企业、个人、政策、创新 都不足以认识到这个事情的重要性,那我们还能做什么?我不知道。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道;
Everyone here cares about changing the world and has made a difference in that one way or another. 这里关注世界变化的每个人 都通过这样或那样的方式来促成变化。
So, our call to action -- my call to you -- is for you to make going green your next big thing, your gig. 我呼吁大家行动起来 将支持绿色环保作为你们的头等大事。
What can you do? You can personally get carbon neutral . 你们能做什么?你们排放出的二氧化碳中和,
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的;
Go to ClimateCrisis.org or CarbonCalculator.com and buy carbon credits. You could join other leaders in mandating , lobbying for mandated cap and trade in U.S. greenhouse gas reductions. 登陆ClimateCrisis.org或者CarbonCalculator.com网站 购买碳信用额度。你们也可以加入支持领导人的队伍, 游说美国强制执行温室气体限排规定。
mandating:委托;批准(mandate的现在分词); lobbying:v.游说(从政者或政府);(lobby的现在分词)
There's six bills right now in Congress . Let's get one of them passed. 国会手上现在有6个议案。让我们促成其中一个有关环保的方案通过吧。
Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交;
And the most important thing you can do, I think, is to use your personal power and your Rolodex to lead your business, your institution, in going green. 我认为你们最应该做的一件事 就是用你们个人的力量,动员你们的朋友同事, 从你们的业务、公司开始,支持绿色环保。
Rolodex:n.名片盒;
Do it like Wal-Mart, get it to go green for its customers and its suppliers and for itself. 为了顾客,供应商,还有自己,学习沃尔玛,支持绿色科技 。
Really think outside the box . 我们要跳出固有的思维模式。
think outside the box:跳出固有思维模式;跳脱框架思考;解放思想;
Can you imagine what it would be like if Amazon or eBay or Google or Microsoft or Apple really went green and you caused that to happen? 你们能想象如果亚马逊、eBay、谷歌 微软或苹果支持绿色科技,又会发生什么呢?
Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
It could be bigger than Wal-Mart. 这影响可能远胜沃尔玛带来的。
I can't wait to see what we TEDsters do about this crisis. 我迫不及待想知道我们这些TED会员会采取什么行动来对付这个危机。
And I really, really hope that we multiply all of our energy, all of our talent, and all of our influence to solve this problem. 我也非常非常希望我们所用能源更加多样化, 用我们的头脑和影响力来解决这个问题。
multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
Because if we do, I can look forward to the conversation I'm going to have with my daughter in 20 years. 如果我们能这么做,我就对 20年后与我女儿进行的谈话充满期待。
look forward to:盼望,期待;
(Applause) (掌声)