返回首页

JohannHari_2019T-_这可能是你抑郁和焦虑的原因_-

For a really long time, 一直以来
I had two mysteries that were hanging over me. 有两个迷团一直困扰着我。
I didn't understand them and, to be honest, I was quite afraid to look into them. 我无法理解它们, 而且说实话,我害怕深究它们。
and all throughout my lifetime, year after year , serious depression and anxiety have risen, in the United States, in Britain, and across the Western world. 在我一生中,年复一年, 严重的抑郁和焦虑症状 在美国,英国等国家 不断浮现出来, 横扫整个西方世界。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; year after year:年复一年地;每年; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
And I wanted to understand why. 我想要搞清楚为什么。
Why is this happening to us? 为什么这开始发生在我们身上?
Why is it that with each year that passes, more and more of us are finding it harder to get through the day? 为什么过去的每一年里, 我们越来越多人发现 更难以度过每一天?
And I wanted to understand this because of a more personal mystery. 我想要理解这个是因为 一个很私人的谜团。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
When I was a teenager, 当我还是10来岁时,
I remember going to my doctor and explaining that I had this feeling, like pain was leaking out of me. 我记得有一次去看医生, 说我总觉得浑身疼痛。
leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词)
I couldn't control it, 我不能控制它,
I didn't understand why it was happening, 我不理解为什么它会出现,
I felt quite ashamed of it. 并且感到非常羞耻。
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿;
And my doctor told me a story that I now realize was well-intentioned , but quite oversimplified . 医生告诉我了一个 现在我意识到是出于好意的故事, 但太过于简化。
well-intentioned:adj.好意的,好心的;出于善意的; oversimplified:adj.过于简单化的;v.过于简单化(oversimplify的过去分词形式);
Not totally wrong. 并非全错。
My doctor said, "We know why people get like this. 我医生说,“我们知道 人们为什么会这样。
Some people just naturally get a chemical imbalance in their heads -- you're clearly one of them. 有些人的大脑很自然地 会发生一些化学失衡—— 你显然是其中一个。
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; imbalance:n.不平衡;不安定;
All we need to do is give you some drugs, it will get your chemical balance back to normal." 我们要做的就是给你开一些药, 它就会把你的化学平衡 恢复正常。”
So I started taking a drug called Paxil or Seroxat, it's the same thing with different names in different countries. 所以我开始服用帕罗西汀 或类似的药物。 一个东西在不同国家 有不同的名字。
Paxil:n.帕罗西汀(抗抑郁药物);
And I felt much better, I got a real boost . 然后我感觉好了很多, 也受到了很大的鼓舞。
boost:n.提高;增长;帮助;激励;v.使增长;使兴旺;偷窃;
But not very long afterwards, this feeling of pain started to come back. 但随后不久, 这种疼痛的感觉回来了。
So I was given higher and higher doses until, for 13 years, I was taking the maximum possible dose that you're legally allowed to take. 所以我使用越来越高的剂量, 直到后来的13年,
doses:v.服药(dose的三单形式);n.[药][核]剂量(dose的复数); maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的;
And for a lot of those 13 years, and pretty much all the time by the end, 在这13年的大部分时候, 差不多一直到最后,
I was still in a lot of pain. 我仍然很痛苦。
And I started asking myself, "What's going on here? 我开始问自己,“这是怎么回事?”
Because you're doing everything you're told to do by the story that's dominating the culture -- why do you still feel like this?" 因为你按照主导文化所说的 做了所有的事情—— 为什么你仍然会有这样的感受?
dominating:adj.个性强势的; v.支配; (dominate的现在分词)
So to get to the bottom of these two mysteries, for a book that I've written 所以为了揭开这两个谜团的谜底, 为了我写的一本书,
I ended up going on a big journey all over the world, 我进行了一场环球旅行,
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
I traveled over 40,000 miles. 旅途超过4万英里。
I wanted to sit with the leading experts in the world about what causes depression and anxiety and crucially , what solves them, and people who have come through depression and anxiety and out the other side in all sorts of ways. 我想跟世界一流的专家坐在一起 讨论是什么引发了抑郁和焦虑, 并且最重要的是: 有什么治愈方法, 以及那些经历过抑郁和焦虑的人 是如何以各种方式走出来的。
crucially:adv.关键地;至关重要地;
And I learned a huge amount from the amazing people I got to know along the way. 我一路走来, 从我认识的那些, 了不起的人身上学到了很多。
But I think at the heart of what I learned is, so far, we have scientific evidence for nine different causes of depression and anxiety. 但我认为 我所学到的最核心的是, 目前为止,科学依据能够证明 有9种不同的 引发抑郁和焦虑的原因。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
Two of them are indeed in our biology . 其中两个确实是由于生理因素。
biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
Your genes can make you more sensitive to these problems, though they don't write your destiny . 你的基因会让你 对这些问题更敏感, 虽然它们不能决定你的命运。
genes:n.基因;(gene的复数) sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人; destiny:n.命运,定数,天命;
And there are real brain changes that can happen when you become depressed that can make it harder to get out. 当你变得抑郁时, 你的大脑会发生实质的变化, 让你更难摆脱出来。
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
But most of the factors that have been proven to cause depression and anxiety are not in our biology. 但绝大部分被证实 引发抑郁和焦虑的因素 跟我们的生理因素无关,
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
They are factors in the way we live. 而主要取决于我们的生活方式。
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
And once you understand them, it opens up a very different set of solutions that should be offered to people alongside the option of chemical antidepressants . 一旦你理解了它们, 就能开启一套 非常不同的解决方案, 应该和化学抗抑郁药 一起提供给人们。
option:n.选择;可选择的东西; antidepressants:n.[药]抗抑郁药(antidepressant的复数形式);抗忧郁剂;
For example, if you're lonely, you're more likely to become depressed. 比如, 如果你很孤独, 你很可能会变得抑郁。
If, when you go to work, you don't have any control over your job, you've just got to do what you're told, you're more likely to become depressed. 如果,当你工作时,你对 自己的工作没有控制权, 你得按照吩咐去做, 你就更可能变得抑郁。
If you very rarely get out into the natural world, you're more likely to become depressed. 如果你很少接触自然世界, 你更可能变得抑郁。
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
And one thing unites a lot of the causes of depression and anxiety that I learned about. 有一件事情把所有 我所知道的抑郁和焦虑 联系在一起。
unites:联合;合并;
Not all of them, but a lot of them. 不是所有,但很多。
Everyone here knows you've all got natural physical needs, right? 这里每个人都知道, 你们都有自然的生理需求,对吧?
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
Obviously. 显然。
You need food, you need water, you need shelter, you need clean air. 你需要食物,你需要水, 你需要住所,你需要干净的空气。
If I took those things away from you, you'd all be in real trouble, real fast. 如果我拿走那些东西, 你们都会很快就陷入巨大的困境。
But at the same time , ever human being has natural psychological needs. 但同时, 每个人都有自然的心理需求,
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的;
You need to feel you belong. 你需要有归属感。
You need to feel your life has meaning and purpose. 你需要感到 你的生活有意义和目的。
You need to feel that people see you and value you. 你需要感到人们关注你并重视你。
You need to feel you've got a future that makes sense. 你需要感觉 你有一个有意义的未来。
And this culture we built is good at lots of things. 我们建立的这种文化 擅长很多事情。
And many things are better than in the past -- 很多事情比过去好多了——
I'm glad to be alive today. 我很高兴生活在今天。
But we've been getting less and less good at meeting these deep, underlying psychological needs. 但我们对满足这些 深层次的心理需求 越来越不擅长了。
underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词)
And it's not the only thing that's going on, but I think it's the key reason why this crisis keeps rising and rising. 这并不是唯一的原因, 但我认为是这场危机 不断升级的关键原因。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
And I found this really hard to absorb . 我发现这很难理解。
absorb:v.吸收;使并入;吞并;同化;理解;吸收;耗费;承受;
I really wrestled with the idea of shifting from thinking of my depression as just a problem in my brain, to one with many causes, including many in the way we're living. 我真的很纠结于这个想法: 把我的抑郁症 从一个仅仅是我大脑中的问题, 转变成一个有很多 成因的问题, 包括我们的生活方式。
wrestled:v.摔跤;奋力对付;全力解决;(wrestle的过去分词和过去式) shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词)
And it only really began to fall into place for me when one day, I went to interview a South African psychiatrist named Dr. Derek Summerfield. 直到有一天,我前去采访一位 名叫德里克·萨莫菲尔德的 南非精神病医生, 我才真正明白了这一点。
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈; psychiatrist:n.精神病学家,精神病医生;
He's a great guy. 他是个很棒的人。
And Dr. Summerfield happened to be in Cambodia in 2001, when they first introduced chemical antidepressants for people in that country. 2001年,萨莫菲尔德在柬埔寨, 当时他们首次在那个国家 为人们引入化学抗抑郁药。
Cambodia:n.柬埔寨(位于亚洲);
And the local doctors, the Cambodians , had never heard of these drugs, so they were like, what are they? 当地的柬埔寨医生 从没听过这些药物, 所以,他们问“这些是什么?”
Cambodians:n.柬埔寨人(高棉人);柬埔寨语;adj.柬埔寨的;柬埔寨人的;柬埔寨语的;
And he explained. 于是他解释了。
And they said to him, "We don't need them, we've already got antidepressants." 然后他们告诉他, “我们不需要它们, 我们已经有抗抑郁药了。”
And he was like, "What do you mean?" 他问,“你指的是什么?”
He thought they were going to talk about some kind of herbal remedy , like St. John's Wort , ginkgo biloba, something like that. 他以为他们会谈及某种草药, 比如圣约翰草,银杏叶之类的。
herbal:adj.草药的;草本的;n.植物志;草本书; remedy:vt.补救;治疗;纠正;n.补救;治疗;赔偿; Wort:n.麦芽汁;草;植物; ginkgo:n.[植]银杏;银杏树;
Instead, they told him a story. 反之,他们告诉他一个故事。
There was a farmer in their community who worked in the rice fields. 他们社区有个农民在稻田里干活。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And one day, he stood on a land mine left over from the war with the United States, and he got his leg blown off. 有天,他踩到了 抗美战争时留下的地雷, 他的腿被炸掉了。
So they him an artificial leg, and after a while, he went back to work in the rice fields. 所以他们给他装了一只假腿, 不久之后他就回到稻田干活。
artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的;
But apparently , it's super painful to work under water when you've got an artificial limb , and I'm guessing it was pretty traumatic to go back and work in the field where he got blown up. 但显然,你带着假腿 在水下干活非常痛疼, 而且我猜他 回到腿被炸掉的地方干活 一定很痛苦。
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; limb:n.肢,臂;分支;枝干;v.切断…的手足;从…上截下树枝; traumatic:adj.外伤的;创伤的;n.外伤药;
The guy started to cry all day, he refused to get out of bed, he developed all the symptoms of classic depression. 这个人开始整天哭泣, 他拒绝下床, 他出现了所有 典型的抑郁症症状。
symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数) classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
The Cambodian doctor said, "This is when we gave him an antidepressant." 柬埔寨医生说, “就在这时 我们给他开了抗抑郁药。”
And Dr. Summerfield said, "What was it?" 萨莫菲尔德医生问,“是什么药?”
They explained that they went and sat with him. 他们解释说, 他们过去跟他坐在一起。
They listened to him. 他们倾听他。
They realized that his pain made sense -- it was hard for him to see it in the throes of his depression, but actually, it had perfectly understandable causes in his life. 他们认识到他的痛苦合情合理—— 身处沮丧的阵痛中, 他本人很难看出这一点, 但确实,这是他生活中 完全可以理解的原因。
throes:n.剧痛; v.苦苦挣扎; understandable:adj.可以理解的;可以了解的;
One of the doctors, talking to the people in the community, figured, "You know, if we bought this guy a cow, he could become a dairy farmer, he wouldn't be in this position that was screwing him up so much, he wouldn't have to go and work in the rice fields." 其中一个医生 和社区里的人交谈,想到, “如果我们给这人买一头奶牛, 他就可以变成一个奶农了, 他就不会处在这种境地, 把自己搞得如此狼狈了, 他也不用去稻田里干活了。”
dairy:n.奶制品; adj.乳品的; screwing:v.用螺丝固定(或拧牢);拧紧;拧上去;(screw的现在分词)
So they bought him a cow. 于是他们给他买了一头奶牛。
Within a couple of weeks, his crying stopped, within a month, his depression was gone. 没几周,他停止了哭泣, 不到1个月,他的抑郁症消失了。
They said to doctor Summerfield, "So you see, doctor, that cow, that was an antidepressant, that's what you mean, right?" 他们跟萨莫菲尔德医生说, “所以你看,医生,那头奶牛, 就是抗抑郁药, 那是你说的药吧?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (鼓掌)
If you'd been raised to think about depression the way I was, and most of the people here were, that sounds like a bad joke, right? 如果你打小就和我一样 思考抑郁症, 像座大多数人这样, 那听起来像个冷笑话,对吧?
'"I went to my doctor for an antidepressant, she gave me a cow." “我找医生开抗抑郁药, 她给了我一头奶牛。”
But what those Cambodian doctors knew intuitively , based on this individual , unscientific anecdote , is what the leading medical body in the world, the World Health Organization , has been trying to tell us for years, based on the best scientific evidence. 但那些柬埔寨人凭直觉就知道的、 基于这个个体的,不科学的轶事, 是世界领先的医疗机构, 世界卫生组织, 多年来, 基于最好的科学证据, 一直试图告诉我们的。
intuitively:adv.直观地;直觉地; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; unscientific:adj.不科学的,不符合科学原理的;非学术的;无科学知识的; anecdote:n.轶事;奇闻;秘史; Organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
If you're depressed, if you're anxious, you're not weak, you're not crazy, you're not, in the main , a machine with broken parts. 如果你抑郁, 如果你很焦虑, 你不是脆弱,你没有疯, 总的来说,你不是一个 零部件坏了的机器,
in the main:基本上;
You're a human being with unmet needs. 你是个需求未被满足的人。
unmet:adj.未满足的;未应付的;未相遇的;
And it's just as important to think here about what those Cambodian doctors and the World Health Organization are not saying. 在这里,思考柬埔寨医生说的 和世界卫生组织没说的同样重要。
They did not say to this farmer, "Hey, buddy , you need to pull yourself together . 他们没跟这个农民说, “嘿,伙计,你需要振作起来,
buddy:n.伙伴,好朋友;密友;小男孩;v.做好朋友,交朋友; pull yourself together:振作起来;打起精神来;加把劲吧;
It's your job to figure out and fix this problem on your own." 你得自己解决和修复这个问题。”
On the contrary , what they said is, "We're here as a group to pull together with you, so together, we can figure out and fix this problem." 相反,他们说的是, “我们作为一个团队 来和你一起努力, 所以一起,我们可以解决 和修复这个问题。”
On the contrary:正相反; pull together:齐心协力;
This is what every depressed person needs, and it's what every depressed person deserves . 这是每一个抑郁的人需要的, 并且也是 每一个抑郁的人应得的。
deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数)
This is why one of the leading doctors at the United Nations , in their official statement for World Health Day, couple of years back in 2017, said we need to talk less about chemical imbalances and more about the imbalances in the way we live. 这是为什么 有位联合国的顶尖医生, 在2017年世界卫生日的 官方宣言中写到, 我们要少谈化学失衡, 多谈谈我们生活方式的失衡。
United Nations:n.联合国; official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; imbalances:n.不平衡;不安定;
Drugs give real relief to some people -- they gave relief to me for a while -- but precisely because this problem goes deeper than their biology, the solutions need to go much deeper, too. 药物对有些人 有真正的缓解作用—— 它们对我有阵子也很有效—— 但因为这个问题 比他们的生物构造更深入, 解决方案也需要更为深入。
relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
But when I first learned that, 但当我第一次知道的时候,
I remember thinking, "OK, I could see all the scientific evidence, 我记得我在想, “我能看到所有的科学证据,
I read a huge number of studies, 我阅读了大量的研究,
I interviewed a huge number of the experts who were explaining this," 我采访了很多专家来 解释这一问题,”
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式)
but I kept thinking, "How can we possibly do that?" 但我一直在想, “我们怎么可能做到?”
The things that are making us depressed are in most cases more complex than what was going on with this Cambodian farmer. 让我们抑郁的事情 在很多情况下比那个柬埔寨农民 远复杂得多。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
Where do we even begin with that insight ? 基于那个观点, 我们该从哪里下手呢?
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉;
But then, in the long journey for my book, all over the world, 然而后来, 在我写书的漫长旅途中, 在全球旅行中,
I kept meeting people who were doing exactly that, from Sydney, to San Francisco, to S?o Paulo. 我不断遇到正在那样做的人, 从悉尼,到旧金山, 到圣保罗。
I kept meeting people who were understanding the deeper causes of depression and anxiety and, as groups, fixing them. 我一直遇见理解引发 抑郁和焦虑深层原因的人, 并且,作为群体,修复它们。
Obviously, I can't tell you about all the amazing people 显然,我不能告诉你们 我认识和写下的
I got to know and wrote about, or all of the nine causes of depression and anxiety that I learned about, because they won't let me give a 10-hour TED Talk -- you can complain about that to them. 所有这些让人惊叹的人, 或者所有我所习得的引发 抑郁和焦虑的9个原因, 因为他们不会让我做一个 10小时的TED演讲—— 你们可以向他们抱怨。
complain:v.投诉;发牢骚;诉说;
But I want to focus on two of the causes and two of the solutions that emerge from them, if that's alright. 但如果可以的话, 我想聚焦在两个原因, 以及对应的两个解决方案。
emerge:v.浮现;显现;暴露;露出真相;
Here's the first. 这是第一个。
We are the loneliest society in human history. 我们处于人类历史上 最孤独的社会。
There was a recent study that asked Americans, " Do you feel like you're no longer close to anyone?" 最近研究有一项研究,询问美国人 “你感觉不再跟任何人亲近了吗?”
Do you feel like:你想…吗?;
And 39 percent of people said that described them. 39%的人说这描述符合他们。
described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
'"No longer close to anyone." “不再跟任何人亲近。”
In the international measurements of loneliness, 在国际孤独测量评估中,
measurements:n.测量值,尺寸(measurement的复数);
Britain and the rest of Europe are just behind the US, in case anyone here is feeling smug . 英国和其他欧洲国家仅次于美国。 以防这里有人沾沾自喜。
smug:adj.自鸣得意的;自以为是的;整洁的;n.书呆子;自命不凡的家伙;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I spent a lot of time discussing this with the leading expert in the world on loneliness, an incredible man named professor John Cacioppo, who was at Chicago, and I thought a lot about one question his work poses to us. 我花了很多时间就孤独问题 和世界一流的专家交流。 一个非常优秀的人, 约翰·卡奇奥波教授, 他在芝加哥, 他的工作给我们提出了 一个问题,我想了很久。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; poses:姿势;
Professor Cacioppo asked, "Why do we exist? 卡奇奥波教授问到, “我们为什么存在?
Why are we here, why are we alive?" 我们为什么在这儿, 我们为什么活着?”
One key reason is that our ancestors on the savannas of Africa were really good at one thing. 一个关键的原因在于 我们非洲大草原上的祖先 真的非常擅长一件事情。
savannas:n.热带稀树草原(savanna的复数);
They weren't bigger than the animals they took down a lot of the time, they weren't faster than the animals they took down a lot of the time, but they were much better at banding together into groups and cooperating . 他们不比很多时候 他们放倒的动物高大, 他们不比很多时候 他们放倒的动物跑得更快, 但他们更擅长抱团 与协作。
banding:n.捆扎;[电子]条带;v.联合,结合(band的现在分词); cooperating:v.合作;协作;协助;配合;(cooperate的现在分词)
This was our superpower as a species -- we band together, just like bees evolved to live in a hive , humans evolved to live in a tribe . 这是我们作为一个物种的超能力。 我们聚集在一起, 就像蜜蜂进化到住在蜂巢中一样, 人类进化到部落聚居。
superpower:n.超级大国;超级强权; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) hive:vi.群居; n.蜂房,蜂巢; vt.入蜂箱; tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙;
And we are the first humans ever to disband our tribes. 而我们是第一批 解散部落的人类。
disband:vi.解散;vt.解散;遣散;
And it is making us feel awful. 这让我们感到糟糕。
But it doesn't have to be this way. 但事情不一定非得这样。
One of the heroes in my book, and in fact, in my life, is a doctor named Sam Everington. 我书中,也是我生活中的一个英雄, 是一个叫山姆·艾佛林顿的医生。
He's a general practitioner in a poor part of East London, where I lived for many years. 他是东伦敦贫民区的 一名全科医生, 我在那生活过好多年。
general practitioner:n.普通医师;
And Sam was really uncomfortable, because he had loads of patients coming to him with terrible depression and anxiety. 山姆真的很不容易, 因为很多病人 都带着严重的抑郁和焦虑来找他。
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
And like me, he's not opposed to chemical antidepressants, he thinks they give some relief to some people. 和我一样, 他不反对使用抗抑郁药, 他认为药物对一些人有缓解作用。
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
But he could see two things. 但他可以看到两件事情。
Firstly , his patients were depressed and anxious a lot of the time for totally understandable reasons, like loneliness. 第一,他的病人很多时候 因为完全可以理解的理由 而抑郁和焦虑,比如说孤独。
Firstly:adv.首先(主要用于列举条目,论点时);第一;
And secondly, although the drugs were giving some relief to some people, for many people, they didn't solve the problem. 第二,尽管药物能给 部分人带来一些缓解。 对多数人而言, 它们无法解决问题,
The underlying problem. 根本性的问题。
One day, Sam decided to pioneer a different approach . 一天,山姆决定 开创一种不同的方法。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
A woman came to his center, his medical center, called Lisa Cunningham. 一位女性来到他的医疗中心, 她叫丽莎·坎宁安。
I got to know Lisa later. 我后来才认识的。
And Lisa had been shut away in her home with crippling depression and anxiety for seven years. 丽莎因为严重的抑郁和焦虑 被隔离家中, 长达7年。
shut away:隔绝;把…藏起来;关起来; crippling:adj.残废的; v.使残废; (cripple的现在分词)
And when she came to Sam's center, she was told, "Don't worry, we'll carry on giving you these drugs, but we're also going to prescribe something else. 当她来到山姆的中心时, 她被告知,“不要担心, 我们会继续给你这些药, 但我们也会开一些其他东西。
prescribe:v.给…开(药);让…采用(疗法);开(处方);命令;
We're going to prescribe for you to come here to this center twice a week to meet with a group of other depressed and anxious people, not to talk about how miserable you are, 你需要每周来这个中心两次, 去见其他抑郁和焦虑的人们, 不是来说你有多么不幸,
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
but to figure out something meaningful you can all do together so you won't be lonely and you won't feel like life is pointless ." 而是找出一些你们可以 一起做的有意义的事情, 这样你就不会感到孤独, 或是生活没有意义。
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的; pointless:adj.无意义的;钝的;不尖的;不得要领的;
The first time this group met, 这些人第一次见面时,
Lisa literally started vomiting with anxiety, it was so overwhelming for her. 丽莎焦虑到开始呕吐, 因为这对她而言压力非常大。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: vomiting:v.呕吐(vomit的现在分词); overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词)
But people rubbed her back, the group started talking, they were like, "What could we do?" 不过人们开始给她按摩, 这群人开始聊天, “我们能做什么?”
rubbed:v.(使)相互摩擦;摩擦(尤指引起疼痛或损害);(rub的过去分词和过去式)
These are inner-city , East London people like me, they didn't know anything about gardening. 这些都是和我一样 住在伦敦东部贫民区的人, 他们不懂园艺。
inner-city:n.(居民拥挤,住屋破旧的)市中心平民区;adj.市中心的;
They were like, "Why don't we learn gardening?" “为什么我们不学习园艺呢?”
There was an area behind the doctors' offices that was just scrubland . 医生办公室后面有块区域 是个灌木丛。
scrubland:n.灌木丛林地;
'"Why don't we make this into a garden?" “我们为什么不把它 改造成花园呢?”
They started to take books out of the library, started to watch YouTube clips . 于是他们开始从图书馆借书, 开始看YouTube视频。
clips:n.夹子; v.夹住;
They started to get their fingers in the soil. 他们开始把手伸进土里。
They started to learn the rhythms of the seasons. 他们开始学习四季的旋律。
rhythms:韵律;
There's a lot of evidence that exposure to the natural world is a really powerful antidepressant. 有大量的研究表明 接触自然世界 是一种非常有效的抗抑郁药。
exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临;
But they started to do something even more important. 但他们开始做一些更重要的事情。
They started to form a tribe. 他们开始形成部落。
They started to form a group. 他们开始形成团队。
They started to care about each other. 他们开始关心彼此。
If one of them didn't show up, the others would go looking for them -- "Are you OK?" 如果其中有个人没出现, 其他人会去寻找—— “你还好吗?”
Help them figure out what was troubling them that day. 帮助他们解决 他们那天遇到的麻烦。
The way Lisa put it to me, "As the garden began to bloom , we began to bloom." 就像丽莎向我说的, “随着园中花朵的绽放, 我们也开始绽放。”
bloom:v.盛开;开花;繁殖;繁盛;n.水华;风华正茂;霜;青春;
This approach is called social prescribing , it's spreading all over Europe. 这个方法被称为社会处方, 它正在整个欧洲蔓延。
prescribing:v.给…开(药);让…采用(疗法);开(处方);命令;(prescribe的现在分词)
And there's a small, but growing body of evidence suggesting it can produce real and meaningful falls in depression and anxiety. 有一个小的,但不断增长的证据 表明它可以真正且有意义地 缓解抑郁和焦虑。
And one day, I remember standing in the garden that Lisa and her once-depressed friends had built -- it's a really beautiful garden -- and having this thought, it's very much inspired by a guy called professor Hugh Mackay in Australia. 有天,我记得站在这个 丽莎和她那些一度抑郁的 朋友建造的花园中—— 这真是个美丽的花园—— 我产生了这个想法, 很大程度上受到 澳大利亚的休·麦凯教授的启发。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
I was thinking, so often when people feel down in this culture, what we say to them -- I'm sure everyone here said it, I have -- we say, "You just need to be you, be yourself." 我在想,当人们 在这种文化中感到沮丧时, 我们是怎么跟他们说的—— 我确信这里每个人这么说过, 我也说过—— “你只要做自己,做你自己。”
And I've realized, actually, what we should say to people is, "Don't be you. 我已经意识到,其实, 我们应该跟人们说的是, “别自己一个人,
Don't be yourself. 不要做自己。
Be us, be we. 做我们,我们一起。
Be part of a group." 成为团队的一员。”
(Applause) (鼓掌)
The solution to these problems does not lie in drawing more and more on your resources as an isolated individual -- that's partly what got us in this crisis. 这些问题的解决方案 并不在于把更多的资源 看作孤立个体—— 这正是导致我们 陷入这场危机的部分原因。
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离;
It lies on reconnecting with something bigger than you. 它在于与比我们更大 的东西重新连接。
reconnecting:n.重新连线中;正在重新连接;v.再接合(reconnect的现在分词);
And that really connects to one of the other causes of depression and anxiety that I wanted to talk to you about. 这正是我想和你们说的 另一个和抑郁及焦虑有关的成因。
So everyone knows junk food has taken over our diets and made us physically sick. 所以每个人都知道, 垃圾食品已经占据了 我们的饮食,让我们身体不适。
junk food:垃圾食物;华而不实的东西;
I don't say that with any sense of superiority , 我说这话并不是带着优越感在说,
superiority:n.优越,优势;优越性;
I literally came to give this talk from McDonald's. 我来做演讲之前刚去过麦当劳。
I saw all of you eating that healthy TED breakfast, I was like no way. 我看到你们都吃的那种 健康的TED早餐,我是不会吃的。
But just like junk food has taken over our diets and made us physically sick, a kind of junk values have taken over our minds and made us mentally sick. 不过就像垃圾食品已经占据了 我们的饮食,并让我们身体不适, 也有一类垃圾价值观 占据了我们的头脑, 并使我们精神染病。
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
For thousands of years, philosophers have said, if you think life is about money, and status and showing off, you're going to feel like crap . 几千年来,哲学家们说过, 如果你认为生活是关于 金钱,地位和炫耀, 你就会觉得自己像个废物。
philosophers:n.哲学家(philosopher的复数); status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份; crap:n.废话;废物;屎;拉屎;vi.掷骰子;拉屎;
That's not an exact quote from Schopenhauer, but that is the gist of what he said. 这不是叔本华的原话, 但这是他所说的要点。
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; gist:n.主旨,要点;依据;
But weirdly , hardy anyone had scientifically investigated this, until a truly extraordinary person I got to know, named professor Tim Kasser, who's at Knox College in Illinois , and he's been researching this for about 30 years now. 但奇怪的是, 几乎没有人对此进行过研究, 直到我认识了一个出色的人, 伊利诺斯州诺克斯学院 的提姆·卡瑟教授, 他现在已经研究 这个主题超过30年了。
weirdly:adv.古怪地; hardy:adj.坚强的;勇敢的;能吃苦耐劳的;鲁莽的;n.强壮的人;耐寒植物;方柄凿; scientifically:adv.系统地;合乎科学地;学问上; investigated:v.侦查;调查;研究;(investigate的过去分词和过去式) extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的; Illinois:n.伊利诺斯州(美国州名);
And his research suggests several really important things. 他的研究 揭示了几个非常重要的事情。
Firstly, the more you believe you can buy and display your way out of sadness, and into a good life, the more likely you are to become depressed and anxious. 首先,你越相信 你可以通过购物和炫耀 来摆脱悲伤, 过上美好的生活, 你更有可能变得抑郁和焦虑。
display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的;
And secondly, as a society, we have become much more driven by these beliefs. 第二, 作为一个社会, 我们越来越被这些信念驱动。
All throughout my lifetime, under the weight of advertising and Instagram and everything like them. 我的一生, 都处在广告,Instagram 和类似东西的重压之下。
advertising:n.做广告;广告业;广告活动;v.做广告;(advertise的现在分词) Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
And as I thought about this, 当我想到这个的时候,
I realized it's like we've all been fed since birth, a kind of KFC for the soul. 我意识到这就像我们的灵魂一出生 就被喂了诸如肯德基一类的东西。
We've been trained to look for happiness in all the wrong places, and just like junk food doesn't meet your nutritional needs and actually makes you feel terrible, junk values don't meet your psychological needs, and they take you away from a good life. 我们被训练 在错误的地方寻找幸福, 这就像垃圾食品 不能满足你的营养需求, 并且实际上还让你感到糟糕一样, 垃圾价值也不能满足你的精神需求, 反而夺走了你的美好生活。
nutritional:adj.营养的;滋养的;
But when I first spent time with professor Kasser and I was learning all this, 当我第一次和卡塞尔碰面时, 我学到了所有这些东西。
I felt a really weird mixture of emotions . 我真是百感交集。
mixture:n.混合;结合体;混合物;集合体; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
Because on the one hand , I found this really challenging. 因为一方面,我觉得 这真的很有挑战性。
on the one hand:一方面;
I could see how often in my own life, when I felt down, 我时常可以看到自己的生活中, 每当我跌倒,
I tried to remedy it with some kind of show-offy, grand external solution. 我试着用一些炫耀的, 宏大的外部解决方案来修补它。
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的;
And I could see why that did not work well for me. 我可以看到为什么那样对 我并不怎么见效。
I also thought, isn't this kind of obvious ? 我也想到,这不是很明显吗?
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
Isn't this almost like banal , right? 这不是很老套吗?
banal:adj.陈腐的;平庸的;老一套的;
If I said to everyone here, none of you are going to lie on your deathbed and think about all the shoes you bought and all the retweets you got, you're going to think about moments of love, meaning and connection in your life. 如果我跟在座各位说, 你们谁也不会在临终的病榻之上, 想着自己买了多少双鞋, 收到了多少条转发, 而是会想起你生命中 我觉得这似乎是陈词滥调。
deathbed:n.临终之时;临死所卧之床;adj.临终时作的;
I think that seems almost like a cliché. 但我继续 和卡塞尔教授交谈,说道,
But I kept talking to professor Kasser and saying, "Why am I feeling this strange doubleness ?" “为什么我会有这种 奇怪的双重感觉呢?” “为什么我会有这种 奇怪的双重感觉呢?”
doubleness:n.二倍;双重;
And he said, "At some level, we all know these things. 他说,“某种程度上, 我们都知道这些东西。
But in this culture, we don't live by them." 但在这种文化中, 我们并不靠它们过活。”
We know them so well they've become clichés, but we don't live by them. 我们对它们实在太清楚了, 它们于是变得陈词滥调, 但我们不靠它们过活。
I kept asking why, why would we know something so profound , but not live by it? 我一直在问自己为什么, 为什么我们知道有些东西很重要, 但不靠它们而活?
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
And after a while, professor Kasser said to me, "Because we live in a machine that is designed to get us to neglect what is important about life." 过了一会,卡塞尔博士告诉我, “因为我们生活在一台机器中, 它被设计成让我们忽略 生命中最重要的东西。”
neglect:v.忽视;忽略;疏忽;疏于照顾;n.忽视;忽略;未被重视;
I had to really think about that. 我真得好好想想。
'"Because we live in a machine that is designed to get us to neglect what is important about life." “因为我们生活在一台机器中, 它被设计成让我们忽略 生命中最重要东西。”
And professor Kasser wanted to figure out if we can disrupt that machine. 卡塞尔教授想要搞清楚 我们能否打败那台机器。
disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的;
He's done loads of research into this; 他为此做了很多研究。
I'll tell you about one example, and I really urge everyone here to try this with their friends and family. 我会告诉你们一个例子, 我真的很迫切鼓励这里每个人 跟朋友和家人试试这个。
With a guy called Nathan Dungan, he got a group of teenagers and adults to come together for a series of sessions over a period of time, to meet up. 我和Nathan Dungan一起, 他让一群青少年和成年人 在一段时间内一起参加 一系列的会议,互相见面。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; sessions:n.会议;会期(session的复数);
And part of the point of the group was to get people to think about a moment in their life they had actually found meaning and purpose. 这个群体的一部分目的是 让人们回想他们生命中确实觉得 有意义和有目的的瞬间。
For different people, it was different things. 不同的人,想到的会是不同的东西。
For some people, it was playing music, writing, helping someone -- 对有些人, 是播放音乐,写作,帮助别人——
I'm sure everyone here can picture something, right? 我相信这里每一位都能 想起一些事情,对吧?
And part of the point of the group was to get people to ask, "OK, how could you dedicate more of your life to pursuing these moments of meaning and purpose, 这个群体的部分目的 是让人们提问, “好了,你怎么才能把 生命中更多的时间 用来追求这些有意义 和目的的时刻呢,
dedicate:vt.致力;献身;题献; pursuing:v.追求;致力于;贯彻;跟踪;追赶;(pursue的现在分词)
and less to, I don't know, buying crap you don't need, putting it on social media and trying to get people to go, 'OMG, so jealous !'" 并且少买一些你不需要的垃圾, 把它们发到社交媒体上, 并试图让别人说, “我的妈,真是拉仇恨!”
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; jealous:adj.妒忌的;猜疑的;唯恐失去的;戒备的;
And what they found was, just having these meetings, it was like a kind of Alcoholics Anonymous for consumerism , right? 他们的发现是, 只是通过这些会面, 这有点像消费主义的 匿名戒酒会,对吧?
Alcoholics Anonymous:n.匿名戒酒会(1935年成立于芝加哥的国际组织,成员不用全名); consumerism:n.保护消费者利益运动;用户至上主义;
Getting people to have these meetings, articulate these values, determine to act on them and check in with each other, led to a marked shift in people's values. 让人们参与这些会议, 阐明这些价值观, 并决定采取行动,互相监督, 引发了人们价值观的显著转变。
articulate:vt.清晰地发(音); vi.发音; adj.发音清晰的; determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
It took them away from this hurricane of depression-generating messages training us to seek happiness in the wrong places, and towards more meaningful and nourishing values that lift us out of depression. 它把他们从训练我们 在错误的地方寻找幸福 和产生抑郁的飓风中带走, 向着更有意义、更有营养的, 带领我们走出抑郁的价值前进。
hurricane:n.飓风,暴风; seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求; nourishing:adj.有营养的;滋养多的;v.滋养;养育;(nourish的现在分词)
But with all the solutions that I saw and have written about, and many I can't talk about here, 但所有我看到和写过的解决方案, 很多我无法在这里讲,
I kept thinking, you know: Why did it take me so long to see these insights ? 我一直在思考, 为什么它花了我 那么长时间才看到这些洞见?
insights:n.洞察力;眼力;深刻见解(insight的复数);
Because when you explain them to people -- some of them are more complicated , but not all -- when you explain this to people, it's not like rocket science , right? 因为当你向人们解释它们时—— 有些东西更复杂, 但非全都复杂—— 当你向人们解释这些, 这不是必定如此,对吧?
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) rocket science:复杂的事;航天器学;
At some level, we already know these things. 在某种程度上, 我们已经知道这些东西。
Why do we find it so hard to understand? 为什么我们会发现它很难理解?
I think there's many reasons. 我认为这里有很多原因。
But I think one reason is that we have to change our understanding of what depression and anxiety actually are. 但我认为有个原因是我们得改变 我们对抑郁和焦虑的认识。
There are very real biological contributions to depression and anxiety. 抑郁和焦虑有非常真实 的生物学原因。
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品; contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数)
But if we allow the biology to become the whole picture, as I did for so long, as I would argue our culture has done pretty much most of my life, what we're implicitly saying to people is, and this isn't anyone's intention, but what we're implicitly saying to people is, "Your pain doesn't mean anything. 但如果我们让生物学 成为唯一解释, 就如我很久以来那样做的, 我认为我们的文化在我生命的 大部分时间里都在起作用, 我们含蓄地告诉人们的是, 这不是任何人的本意, 但我们含蓄地告诉人们的是, “你的痛疼不意味着什么。
implicitly:adv.含蓄地;暗中地;
It's just a malfunction . 它只是个故障。
malfunction:n.失灵;故障,功能障碍;
It's like a glitch in a computer program, it's just a wiring problem in your head." 就像电脑程序的一个小故障, 它只是你头脑中的线路问题。”
glitch:n.小故障;失灵;[电子]短时脉冲波干扰;
But I was only able to start changing my life when I realized your depression is not a malfunction. 但直到我意识到抑郁 并不是一种故障, 我才能够开始改变我的生活。
It's a signal. 它是个信号。
Your depression is a signal. 你的抑郁是个信号。
It's telling you something. 它在告诉你一些东西。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
We feel this way for reasons, and they can be hard to see in the throes of depression -- 我们这样感受是有原因的, 在抑郁的阵痛中很难看到它们——
I understand that really well from personal experience. 就我个人经验而言,我非常理解。
But with the right help, we can understand these problems and we can fix these problems together. 但有了正确的帮助, 我们能够理解这些问题 并共同修复这些问题。
But to do that, the very first step is we have to stop insulting these signals by saying they're a sign of weakness, or madness or purely biological, except for a tiny number of people. 但要做到这一点, 第一步是 我们要停止侮辱这些信号, 说它们是软弱的,疯狂的 或纯粹生理的信号, 除了少数人。
insulting:adj.侮辱的,无礼的;污蔑的;损害人体的;v.侮辱;损害;(insult的现在分词); purely:adv.完全;仅仅;
We need to start listening to these signals, because they're telling us something we really need to hear. 我们需要倾听这些信号, 因为它在告诉我们真的 需要去倾听的事情。
It's only when we truly listen to these signals, and we honor these signals and respect these signals, that we're going to begin to see the liberating , nourishing, deeper solutions. 只有当我们真正倾听这些信号, 重视这些信号,尊重这些信号时, 我们才会看到 解放、滋养、深入的解决方案。
liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词)
The cows that are waiting all around us. 奶牛在周围等着我们。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (鼓掌)