返回首页

JodyWilliams_2010W-_对世界和平的现状展望_

I'm actually here to make a challenge to people. 我真正来这 是要给大家一个挑战。
I know there have been many challenges made to people. 我也知道大家已经有很多挑战。
The one I'm going to make is that it is time for us to reclaim what peace really means. 我要讲的挑战 是让我们大家重审 和平的真正含义。
reclaim:v.开拓;回收再利用;改造某人,使某人悔改;n.改造,感化;再生胶;
Peace is not "Kumbaya, my Lord ." 和平不是“祈求上帝,让和平来到我这吧。”
Lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福;
Peace is not the dove and the rainbow -- as lovely as they are. 和平也不是如这副图里的和平鸽和彩虹 那么可爱。
dove:n.鸽子;鸽派人士;v.潜水(dive的过去式); rainbow:n.彩虹
When I see the symbols of the rainbow and the dove, 当我看到 彩虹和和平鸽的象征,
symbols:n.符号;象征;标志;符号表(symbol的复数);
I think of personal serenity . 我内心感到平静,
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; serenity:n.平静,宁静;晴朗,风和日丽;
I think of meditation . 并沉思默想。
meditation:n.冥想;沉思,深思;
I do not think about what I consider to be peace, which is sustainable peace with justice and equality. 关于和平, 我认为 不带有公正性和公平性的和平 不是持久的和平。
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
It is a sustainable peace in which the majority of people on this planet have access to enough resources to live dignified lives, where these people have enough access to education and health care , so that they can live in freedom from want and freedom from fear. 持久的和平 是要让多数的人们 在这个星球上 能有机会获得足够多的资源 来有尊严的活着, 他们也有权 得到教育 和医疗保健, 这样他们才可以摆脱贫困 摆脱恐惧。
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); dignified:adj.端庄的; v.使有尊严; (dignify的过去分词和过去式) health care:n.卫生保健;
This is called human security. 这被称为人类的基本安全。
And I am not a complete pacifist like some of my really, really heavy-duty , non-violent friends, like Mairead McGuire. 我并不是一个完全意义上的和平主义者 比起我一些任务繁重, 倡导非暴力的朋友们, 比如梅雷亚德·麦圭尔Mairead McGuire。
pacifist:n.和平主义者;adj.非战主义的; heavy-duty:adj.耐用的;重型的,重负荷的; non-violent:adj.非暴力的;
I understand that humans are so " messed up" -- to use a nice word, because I promised my mom 我明白我们人类 把事情弄砸了-- 来用这个好听的词汇, 因为我向我妈许诺
messed:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺(mess的过去分词和过去式)
I'd stop using the F-bomb in public. 我不会当众用F打头的词来咒骂。
And I'm trying harder and harder. 我尽量努力做到。
Mom, I'm really trying. 妈妈,我的确再努力。
We need a little bit of police; we need a little bit of military , but for defense. 我们需要很少的警力, 我们也需要很少的军事力量, 但这都是为了国防。
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
We need to redefine what makes us secure in this world. 我们要重新定义 在这世上,什么会使我们 感到安全。
redefine:vt.重新定义;
It is not arming our country to the teeth. 安全不意味着让我们的国家 全副武装。
It is not getting other countries to arm themselves to the teeth with the weapons that we produce and we sell them. 也不是让其他的国家 买我们生产的武器 来全副武装 他们。
It is using that money more rationally to make the countries of the world secure, to make the people of the world secure. 和平是指合理地花钱, 使得世界上的各个国家变得安全, 世上的人民更加安全。
rationally:adv.理性地;讲道理地;
I was thinking about the recent ongoings in Congress , where the president is offering 8.4 billion dollars to try to get the START vote. 我这就想到 最近 在国会的提案, 总统要拨款 84亿美元 促成中俄新削减战略武器条约。
Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交;
I certainly support the START vote. 我当然也支持中俄新削减战略武器条约。
But he's offering 84 billion dollars for the modernizing of nuclear weapons. 但是他拨款840亿美元 来使核武器 现代化。
modernizing:v.现代化(modernize的现在分词); nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
Do you know the figure that the U.N. talks about for fulfilling the Millennium Development Goals is 80 billion dollars? 大家该知道联合国谈到 要完成联合国千年发展目标 需要800亿美元的这个数目?
fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词) Millennium:n.千年期,千禧年;一千年,千年纪念;太平盛世,黄金时代;
Just that little bit of money, which to me, I wish it was in my bank account -- it's not, but ... 就是这么点钱, 对我而言,我希望我银行账户有这么多钱, 但是我没有。
bank account:n.银行账户;
In global terms, it's a little bit of money. 在全球范围看,这数目是极少的钱。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
But it's going to modernize weapons we do not need and will not be gotten rid of in our lifetime, unless we get up off our ... 但是有钱来搞现代化武器, 我们并不需要武器, 在我们一生中我们也用不着武器, 除非我们站起来
modernize:vt.使…现代化;vi.现代化;
and take action to make it happen, unless we begin to believe that all of the things that we've been hearing about in these last two days are elements of what come together to make human security. 采取行动,来改变; 除非我们开始相信 我们所听到的 这最近两天所有的事 都是让我们大家一致 努力使得人类更安全。
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
It is saving the tigers. 和平也意味拯救濒危物种老虎。
It is stopping the tar sands. 它也指停止焦油砂的开采。
It is having access to medical equipment that can actually tell who does have cancer . 它还指能运用 医疗器械 尽可能地帮助癌症患者。
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
It is all of those things. 这所有的事都意味着安全和平。
It is using our money for all of those things. 我们要合理地在这所有方面花钱。
It is about action. 和平也是有关行动的。
I was in Hiroshima a couple of weeks ago, and His Holiness -- we're sitting there in front of thousands of people in the city, and there were about eight of us Nobel laureates . 几个星期前, 我 和教皇陛下在广岛-- 当时我们,大概有8位诺贝尔奖得主, 在那座城市面对着数千人。
Holiness:n.神圣;圣座(大写,对教宗等的尊称); laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
And he's a bad guy. He's like a bad kid in church. 他是个坏人;就像个在教堂的坏孩子。
We're staring at everybody, waiting our turn to speak, and he leans over to me, and he says, "Jody, I'm a Buddhist monk ." 我们看着每个人,等着轮到我们的发言, 他斜靠着我说道, “茱迪,我是个信佛的和尚。”
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词) leans:n.倾斜;倾斜错觉(lean的复数);v.倚靠(lean的第三人称单数形式); Buddhist:n.佛教徒;adj.佛教的; monk:n.僧侣,修道士;和尚;
I said, "Yes, Your Holiness. 我说,“是吗,教皇陛下?
Your robe gives it away." 你的教袍可不是这么说哦。”
robe:n.长袍;袍服,礼袍;vt.穿上礼袍
(Laughter) (笑声)
He said, "You know that I kind of like meditation, and I pray." 他说,“你知道 我喜欢冥想,然后祈祷。”
I said, "That's good. That's good. 我说,“那好呀。很棒。
We need that in the world. 我们这世界上正需要它。
I don't follow that, but that's cool." 我没有冥思祈祷过,但那很酷。”
And he says, "But I have become skeptical . 他说,“但我开始质疑了。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
I do not believe that meditation and prayer will change this world. 我不再相信 冥思和祈祷 会改变这个世界。
I think what we need is action." 我认为我们需要的 是行动。”
His Holiness, in his robes , is my new action hero. 教皇陛下,在他的任期内, 变成我新的行动楷模。
robes:n.长袍;礼服;v.(使)穿上长袍,礼服等(robe的第三人称单数);
I spoke with Aung Sun Suu Kyi a couple of days ago. 前几天,我和昂山素季讲过话 通过话。
As most of you know, she's a hero for democracy in her country, Burma . 大家大都知道, 她在缅甸是个民主英雄。
democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治; Burma:n.缅甸(东南亚国家);
You probably also know that she has spent 15 of the last 20 years imprisoned for her efforts to bring about democracy. 你大概也知道 她最近20年中有15年 是被监禁,因为她致力于 把民主带到她的国家。
imprisoned:v.监禁;关押;(imprison的过去分词和过去式)
She was just released a couple of weeks ago, and we're very concerned to see how long she will be free, because she is already out in the streets in Rangoon , agitating for change. 几个星期前她刚被释放, 我们都非常关心她能自由多久, 因为她已经能在仰光的街头自由行走, 鼓动求变革。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词) Rangoon:n.仰光(缅甸首都); agitating:adj.搅拌的,搅动的; v.搅动;
She is already out in the streets, working with the party to try to rebuild it. 她已经串行于街头,和党派组织一起 努力重建民主。
But I talked to her for a range of issues . 但我和她谈到一系列问题时,
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
But one thing that I want to say, because it's similar to what His Holiness said. 有一件事我想说, 因为她和教皇陛下说得一模一样。
She said, "You know, we have a long road to go to finally get democracy in my country. 她说,“你知道,要在我的国家 取得民主还有一段漫长的路要走。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
But I don't believe in hope without endeavor . 但我相信 只有艰苦卓绝的努力,才会有希望。
endeavor:n.v.努力;尽力;试图;
I don't believe in the hope of change, unless we take action to make it so." 我不相信变革有希望, 除非 我们采取行动。”
Here's another woman hero of mine. 这是另一位我眼中的女英雄。
She's my friend, Dr. Shirin Ebadi, the first Muslim woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. 她是我的朋友,希林·伊巴迪博士, 第一位获得了诺贝尔和平奖的 穆斯林女性。
She has been in exile for the last year and a half. 她已经被流放 了一年半。
exile:n.流放,充军;放逐,被放逐者;流犯;v.放逐,流放;使背井离乡;
You ask her where she lives -- where does she live in exile? 当你问她,她流放期间都住在哪?
She says the airports of the world. 她会说世界上的机场。
airports:n.[航]机场;[航]航空港(airport的复数形式);
She is traveling because she was out of the country at the time of the elections. 她之所以到处旅行是因为 她在大选期间被驱逐出她的国家。
And instead of going home, she conferred with all the other women that she works with, who said to her, "Stay out. We need you out. 相反要回家, 她反而赋予跟她一起工作的其它女性一个任务, 对她说,“呆在国外。我们需要你在外面代表我们。
conferred:v.商讨;协商;交换意见;授予;(confer的过去分词和过去式)
We need to be able to talk to you out there, so that you can give the message of what's happening here." 我们需要同在外面的说话, 这样你能够知晓 这里发生的任何事。”
A year and a half -- she's out speaking on behalf of the other women in her country. 一年半来, 她到处发言 代表着她本国其他女性的心声。
on behalf of:代表;为了;
Wangari Maathai -- 2004 Peace laureate. 旺加里·马塔伊- 2004年和平奖得主。
They call her the "Tree Lady," 大家称她为种树女使者,
but she's more than the Tree Lady. 但她做了更多的事。
Working for peace is very creative . 致力于和平工作 需要特别有创意。
creative:adj.创造性的;
It's hard work every day. 每一天都是艰苦卓绝的工作。
When she was planting those trees, 当她种下这些树时,
I don't think most people understand that, at the same time , she was using the action of getting people together to plant those trees to talk about how to overcome the authoritarian government in her country. 我不清楚多数人是否理解, 在当时, 她得动员 人们一同行动来种下这些树, 谈论如何对付 她本国的独裁政府。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; authoritarian:adj.独裁主义的;权力主义的;n.权力主义者;独裁主义者;
People could not gather without getting busted and taken to jail . 在政府的捣毁行为下,人们是没法聚集在一起, 也会被送进监狱。
busted:adj.被当场逮住;v.打破;突击搜查;(使)降级;(bust的过去分词和过去式) jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
But if they were together planting trees for the environment, it was okay -- creativity. 但如果人们为环境保护共同种树, 那就是 创新性的工作。
But it's not just iconic women like Shirin, like Aung Sun Suu Kyi, like Wangari Maathai -- it is other women in the world who are also struggling together to change this world. 但和平不仅仅是指这些具有代表性的女性, 如希林, 昂山素季和旺加里·马塔伊; 和平也是有关世界上的任何女性 她们也都在努力奋斗 改变这世界。
iconic:adj.图标的,形象的;
The Women's League of Burma, 11 individual organizations of Burmese women came together because there's strength in numbers. 缅甸妇女联盟- 一个由缅甸女性11个独立组织的组成的联盟 她们聚在一起是因为数量上的力量。
League:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
Working together is what changes our world. 共同努力才会改变我们的世界。
The Million Signatures Campaign of women inside Burma working together to change human rights, to bring democracy to that country. 在缅甸由妇女 发起的万人签名运动 共同为了改善人权做努力, 把民主带到她们的国家。
Signatures:n.签名;鲜明特征(signature的复数);
When one is arrested and taken to prison, another one comes out and joins the movement, recognizing that if they work together, they will ultimately bring change in their own country. 当一个人被逮捕进监狱, 另一个人又站起来,加入这运动, 她们意识到,只有她们协同一致地工作, 她们最终才会给她们的国家 带来改变。
recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词) ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
Mairead McGuire in the middle, 这幅图中间的是梅雷亚德·麦圭尔,
Betty Williams on the right-hand side -- bringing peace to Northern Ireland. 贝蒂·威廉斯在右手边, 把和平带给北爱尔兰。
Betty:n.贝蒂(皮包品牌); right-hand:adj.得力的;右手的,用右手的;
I'll tell you the quick story. 我要给大家将个简单的故事。
An IRA driver was shot, and his car plowed into people on the side of the street. 一名爱尔兰共和军的驾驶员被打死了, 他的汽车朝街边的行人们 撞去。
plowed:v.耕地;开路;破浪前进;(plow的过去分词和过去式) on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助;
There was a mother and three children. 那里有一位母亲和3名儿童。
The children were killed on the spot . 3名儿童当场被撞死。
on the spot:adj.现场的;
It was Mairead's sister. 这位母亲是梅雷亚德的姐姐。
Instead of giving in to grief , depression , defeat in the face of that violence , 与其在 悲伤,绝望,悲痛中苦不堪言, 还不如面对这场暴力,
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; in the face of:面对; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
Mairead hooked up with Betty -- a staunch Protestant and a staunch Catholic -- and they took to the streets to say, "No more violence." 梅雷亚德携手贝蒂一起 联合坚定的新教派和坚定的天主教派人员, 他们走上街头 宣传“停止暴力。”
hooked:adj.弯曲的; v.(使)钩住,挂住; (hook的过去分词和过去式) staunch:adj.坚定的;忠诚的;坚固的;vt.止住;止血; Protestant:adj.抗议的;持异议的;n.抗议者;持异议者; Catholic:adj.天主教的;宽宏大量的;n.天主教徒;罗马天主教;
And they were able to get tens of thousands of, primarily , women, some men, in the streets to bring about change. 她们号集了 数以万计的人们,主要是女性--还有一些男性-- 走上街头,要求改变。
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
And they have been part of what brought peace to Northern Ireland, and they're still working on it, because there's still a lot more to do. 她们一直都 致力于把和平带到北爱尔兰, 她们还为此孜孜不倦地工作着, 因为还有很多工作要做。
This is Rigoberta Menchu Tum. 这位是瑞格博塔·梦珠·图姆Rigoberta Menchu Tum。
She also received the Peace Prize. 她也获得过和平奖。
She is now running for president. 她目前在竞选总统。
She is educating the indigenous people of her country about what it means to be a democracy, about how you bring democracy to the country, about educating, about how to vote -- but that democracy is not just about voting; it's about being an active citizen. 她在教育她国家的土著居民 民主意味着什么, 大家怎样共同努力可以把民主带到当地, 教育大家如何投票-- 但是这民主不仅仅是关于投票权, 它更是让大家成为一名积极踊跃的公民。
indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的;
That's what I got stuck doing -- the landmine campaign. 然后这是我从事的工作- 国际反地雷组织。
landmine:n.地雷(等于landmine);
One of the things that made this campaign work is because we grew from two NGOs to thousands in 90 countries around the world, working together in common cause to ban landmines . 让这个运动成型的关键之一 是从2个非政府组织开始壮大 到 遍及世界上的90个国家的数以千计的人们 为了一个共同的事业“禁止地雷”努力。
landmines:n.地雷(landmine的复数);
Some of the people who worked in our campaign could only work maybe an hour a month. 为这项运动努力的一些人 有可能每月仅能工作1小时。
They could maybe volunteer that much. 他们能志愿的时间只有这么多。
volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
There were others, like myself, who were full-time . 也有像我一样的其他人, 我们是全职工作。
full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
But it was the actions, together, of all of us that brought about that change. 但是这项运动是大家共同行动, 带来和平的改变。
In my view, what we need today is people getting up and taking action to reclaim the meaning of peace. 以我看,我们今天所需的 是让人们站起来, 行动起来, 重新诠释和平的意义。
It's not a dirty word. 世界不应该是肮脏的。
It's hard work every single day. 每一天都要辛勤得工作。
And if each of us who cares about the different things we care about got up off our butts and volunteered as much time as we could, we would change this world, we would save this world. 假如我们中的每一个人 都能关心我们所关心的不同之处 并站出来, 尽我们所能, 做我们所能做的, 我们就会改变这世界, 我们就会拯救这世界。
butts:n.短硬黄麻根纤维; v.踩熄或捻熄香烟等; volunteered:v.自愿做;义务做;自愿参军;(volunteer的过去分词和过去式)
And we can't wait for the other guy. We have to do it ourselves. 我们等不了其他人来做了,我们必须自己行动起来。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)