返回首页

JoanBladesandJohnGable_2017W-_脱离自己的过滤泡泡_

Joan Blades : Do you have politically diverse friends? 瓊安布雷德:你是否有 各種政治傾向的朋友?
Blades:n.刀身;刀片;刀刃;叶片;桨叶;桨身;(blade的复数) politically:adv.政治上; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的;
What do you talk about with them? 你和他們都談什麼?
I'm a progressive; I live in a town full of progressives , and 15 years ago, I didn't have any conservative friends. 我是改革派;我住在都是 進步人士的小鎮中, 十五年前,我沒有 任何保守派的朋友。
progressives:n.进步派;进步人士(progressive的复数形式);进步论者; conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
Now I have a wonderful mix of friends, and they include John. 現在,我有各種政治傾向的好朋友, 包括約翰在內。
John Gable : I am not a progressive. 約翰蓋博:我不是改革派。
Gable:n.山形墙; vt.在…上砌三角墙; vi.形成三角墙;
I'm a Republican who grew up in a Republican family in the conservative South, and even worked in Republican politics , locally and at the national level. 我是共和黨,在共和黨家庭中長大, 我家在保守的南方, 我甚至在共和黨政治圈工作, 地方性和全國性的層級都有。
Republican:adj.共和国的;共和政体的;共和主义的;拥护共和政体的;n.共和主义者; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上;
But the last 24 years, I've been in technology and living in a very progressive area. 但,過去 24 年,我都在科技業, 且住在非常改革派的區域。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
So I have a lot of progressive friends, including Joan. 我有很多改革派的朋友, 包括瓊安。
JB: I was born in Berkeley, California, a notoriously progressive college town. 瓊安:我在加州柏克萊出生, 一個以改革派聞名的大學鎮。
notoriously:adv.众所周知地;声名狼藉地;恶名昭彰地;
And I live there now. 我現在也住在那裡。
In 1998, six months into the Monica Lewinsky-Clinton impeachment scandal , 1998 年,萊文斯基醜聞過後半年,
impeachment:n.弹劾;控告;怀疑;指摘; scandal:n.丑闻;流言蜚语;诽谤;公愤;
I helped cofound MoveOn .org with a one-sentence petition : " Congress must immediately censure the president and move on to pressing issues facing the nation." 我協助共同創立了 MoveOn.org (走下去.org),請願只有一句話: 「國會必須要立即譴責總統, 然後就繼續走下去, 去處理國家面臨的迫切議題。」
cofound:v.共同创立;联合发起; MoveOn:na.继续前进;不停地向前走;(交通警察命令)向前!; petition:n.请愿;请愿书;祈求;[法]诉状;vi.请愿;请求;vt.请愿;请求;恳求; Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交; censure:vt.责难,责备;n.责难;vi.谴责,责备; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Now, that was actually a very unifying petition in many ways. 其實在許多層面上, 那是個很統一的請願。
unifying:使统一;(unify的现在分词)使成一体;
You could love Clinton or hate Clinton and agree that the best thing for the country was to move on. 你也許愛柯林頓,也許恨柯林頓, 但都能同意對國家 最好的做法就是走下去。
As the leader of MoveOn, I saw the polarization just continue. 身為 MoveOn 的領導人, 我看到兩極化仍然持續著。
polarization:n.极化;偏振;两极分化;
And I found myself wondering why I saw things so differently than many people in other parts of the country. 我發現,我很納悶, 為什麼我和美國其他地區的許多人, 在看事情的角度上有這麼大的不同?
So in 2005, when I had an opportunity to get together with grassroots leaders across the political divide, 所以,2005 年,我有機會 跟一些跨政治分裂的 草根領導人聚會,
get together:聚会 grassroots:adj.基层的;草根的;乡村的;n.草根;基础;
I grabbed it. 我抓住了機會。
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
And I became friends with a lot of people 我和許多人成為朋友,
I never had a chance to talk to before. 我以前都沒機會和這些人說話。
And that included leadership in the Christian Coalition , often seen as on the right the way MoveOn is seen as on the left. 包括了美國基督徒聯盟的領導階層, 他們被視為右派, 而 MoveOn 被視為左派。
Coalition:n.联合;结合,合并;
And this lead to me showing up on Capitol Hill with one of the Christian Coalition leaders, my friend, to lobby for net neutrality . 這導致我出現在國會山莊, 同行的是美國基督徒聯盟的 一位領導者,也是我的朋友, 去遊說網路中立性。
Capitol Hill:美国国会;美国国会山; lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); neutrality:n.中立;中性;中立立场;
That was powerful. 那很強大。
We turned heads. 我們引起了注意。
So this work was transformational for me. 這份工作轉化了我。
transformational:adj.转换的;改变的;转换生成的;
And I found myself wondering: 我發現我在納悶:
How could vast numbers of people have the opportunity to really connect with people that have very different views? 為什麼這麼多人有機會 可以真正和人連結, 卻有如此不同的觀點?
JG: I was born Oneida, Tennessee , right across the state border from a small coal mining town, 約翰:我生在田納西的奧奈達, 橫越州邊界,來自一個煤礦小鎮,
Tennessee:n.田纳西州(美国州名);
Stearns, Kentucky . 肯塔基的斯特恩斯。
Kentucky:n.肯塔基州;
And I lived there for the first few years of my life, before moving to another small town, Frankfort , Kentucky. 我人生中的前幾年住在那裡, 接著搬到另一個小鎮, 肯塔基的法蘭克福。
Frankfort:n.法兰克福(德国城市);
Basically , I grew up in small-town America, conservative at its heart. 基本上,我在美國小鎮中長大, 從骨子裡就很保守。
Basically:adv.主要地,基本上; small-town:adj.偏狭的;小都市的;土里土气的;
Now, Stearns and Berkeley -- they're a little different. 斯特恩斯和柏克萊-它們有點不同。
(Laughter) (笑聲)
So in the '90s I moved out west to a progressive area to work in technology -- worked at Microsoft, worked at Netscape. 在九○年代,我搬出去, 到了西邊的改革派地區, 去科技業工作- 在微軟工作,在網景工作。
I actually became the product manager lead for Netscape Navigator , the first popular web browser . 我真的當上了 「網景領航員」的產品經理, 那是第一個普及的網路瀏覽器。
Navigator:n.航海家;领航员;驾驶员; browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人;
Now in the early days of the internet, we were just moved and inspired by a vision : when we're connected to all these different people around the world and all these different ideas, we'll be able to make great decisions, and we'll be able to appreciate each other for the beautiful diversity that the whole world has to offer. 在網際網路的初期, 我們是被一個遠景給感動和鼓舞的: 當我們能夠與全世界各種不同的人、 不同的想法連結, 我們將能夠做出很好的決策, 我們將能夠欣賞彼此, 欣賞世界所帶給我們的美好多樣性。
early days:初期;为时尚早;前期; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
Now I also, 20 years ago, gave a speech saying it might not work out that way, that we might actually be trained to discriminate against each other in new ways. 二十年前,我也做過一次演說, 說將來可能不會是那樣的, 我們可能其實會被訓練成用新的方式 歧視彼此。
discriminate against:歧视;排斥;
So what happened? 所以,發生了什麼事?
It's not like we just woke up one day and decided to hate each other more. 並不是我們有一天醒來 就決定要再多恨彼此一點。
Here's what happened. 發生的狀況是這樣的。
There's just too much noise -- too many people, too many ideas -- so we use technology to filter it out a little bit. 有太多噪音了-太多人、太多想法- 所以我們用科技來一點一點過濾。
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行;
And what happens? 接著發生什麼事?
It lets in ideas I already agree with. 我放行的是我已經認同的想法。
It lets in the popular ideas, it lets in people just like me who think just like me. 普及的想法會被放行, 和我一樣的人,想法 和我一樣的人會被放行。
That sounds kind of good, right? 聽起來很好,對嗎?
Well, not necessarily , because two very scary things happen when we have such narrow worldviews. 不見得, 因為當我們的世界觀這麼狹窄時, 有兩件很可怕的事發生了。
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分;
First, we become more extreme in our beliefs. 第一,我們在信念上變得很極端。
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
Second, we become less tolerant of anybody who's different than we are. 第二,對於和我們不同的人, 我們的容忍度降低了。
tolerant:adj.宽容的;容忍的;有耐药力的; different than:不同于;
Does this sound familiar ? 聽起來很耳熟嗎?
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
Does this sound like modern America? The modern world? 聽起來像是現代美國嗎?現代世界?
Well, the good news is that technology is changing, and it could change for the better . 好消息是,科技在改變, 它能變得更好。
change for the better:改善;
to create technologies and services to free us from these filter bubbles . 為了創造出能將我們從 過濾泡泡中解放的技術和服務。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
The very first thing we did was create technology that identifies bias , so we could show different perspectives side by side to free us from the filter bubbles of news media . 我們做的第一件事就是 創造出能辨別偏見的技術, 這樣我們才能把 不同的觀點一起呈現, 讓我們脫離新聞媒體的過濾泡泡。
identifies:vt.[计]识别,认明;视为相同,鉴定;v.[计]识别,确定(identify的单三形式); bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的; perspectives:n.[数]透视,远景,看法;构面;观点展示(perspective的复数形式); side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
And then I met Joan. 接著,我遇到了瓊安。
JB: So I met John outside of Washington, DC, with an idealistic group of cross-partisan bridge builders , and we wanted to re-weave the fabric of our communities . 瓊安:我在華盛頓 特區外認識了約翰, 還有一個理想主義團體, 成員都是在建立跨越黨派橋樑的人, 我們想要重建我們社群的結構。
idealistic:adj.理想主义的;唯心论的;唯心主义者的;空想家的; builders:n.[建]施工人员(builder的复数);生成器; fabric:n.织物;布料;(社会,机构等的)结构; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
We believe that our differences can be a strength, that our values can be complimentary and that we have to overcome the fight so that we can honor everyone's values and not lose any of our own. 我們相信,我們的歧見 可以成為優勢, 我們的價值觀可以是互補的, 且我們得要克服這鬥爭, 讓我們能夠尊重每個人的價值觀, 同時不失去自己的。
complimentary:adj.赠送的;称赞的;问候的; overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
I went for this wonderful walk with John, where I started learning about the work he was doing to pierce the filter bubble. 我和約翰的對談非常美好, 談話中,我開始了解他做的工作, 刺穿過濾泡泡。
pierce:v.穿透;扎;刺破;穿过;n.皮尔斯;
It was powerful; it was brilliant. 那很強大; 那很出色。
Living in separate narratives is not good. 住在不同的故事當中並非好事。
narratives:n.叙述,故事;叙述的手法(narrative复数);
We can't even have a conversation or do collaborative problem-solving when we don't share the same facts. 當我們沒有共同的事實時, 我們甚至無法交談 或是共同解決問題。
collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的; problem-solving:adj.问题解决的;n.解决问题;找出问题的答案;
JG: So one thing you take away from today is if Joan Blades asks you to go on a walk, go on that walk. 約翰:所以,今天你們能學到的是, 如果瓊安布雷德請你去散步, 那就去散步。
(Laughter) (笑聲)
It changed things. It really changed the way I was thinking about things. 它會造成改變。 它真的改變了我對事物的看法。
To free ourselves from the filter bubbles, we can't just think about information filter bubbles, but also relationship and social filter bubbles. 要讓我們脫離過濾泡泡, 我們不能只想著資訊過濾泡泡, 還要去想關係以及社交過濾泡泡。
You see, we human beings -- we're not nearly as smart as we think we are. 我們人類沒有自己想的那麼聰明。
We don't generally make decisions intellectually . 我們通常不會做出明智的決策。
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地; intellectually:adv.智力上;理智地;知性上;
We make them emotionally , intuitively , and then we use our big old brains to rationalize anything we want to rationalize. 我們的決策是情緒的、直覺的, 然後再用又大又老的腦袋 來把我們想合理化的一切給合理化。
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; intuitively:adv.直观地;直觉地; rationalize:vt.使…合理化;使…有理化;为…找借口;vi.实行合理化;作辩解;合理地思考;
We're not really like Vulcans like Mr. Spock, we're more like bold cowboys like Captain Kirk , or passionate idealists like Dr. McCoy . 我們並不像瓦肯人,不像史巴克, 我們較像魯莽的牛仔,像柯克艦長, 或是熱情的理想主義者, 像老骨頭麥考伊。
Vulcans:n.伏尔甘(火和锻冶的神); bold:adj.大胆的,英勇的;黑体的;厚颜无耻的;险峻的; Kirk:n.教会;苏格兰教会; passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的; idealists:n.唯心主义者;理想主义者;空想家;(idealist的复数) McCoy:n.本人;真品;adj.真正的;
OK, for those of y'all who prefer the new "Star Trek " crew, here you go. 如果你們比較喜歡新的 《星艦迷航記》成員, 那就給你們吧。
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升; Trek:v.长途跋涉;远足,徒步旅行;n.长途跋涉(尤指在山区);
(Laughter) (笑聲)
JB: Don't forget the strong women! 瓊安:別忘了堅強的女性們!
JG: Come on, strong women. OK. 約翰:來吧,堅強的女性。
JB: All right. 瓊安:好。
John and I are both "Star Trek" fans. 約翰和我都是《星艦迷航記》迷。
What's not to love about a future with that kind of optimism ? 有著那種樂觀主義的未來, 怎麼會不讓人喜歡?
optimism:n.乐观;乐观主义;
JG: And having a good future in mind is a big deal -- very important. 約翰:心中有個美好的未來 是至關緊要的-非常重要。
a big deal:na.要人;重要的事;
And understanding what the problem is is very important. 了解問題是什麼,是非常重要的。
But we have to do something. 但我們得要採取行動。
So what do we do? 我們要怎麼做?
It's actually not that hard. 其實沒有那麼難。
We have to add diversity to our lives -- not just information, but relationship diversity. 我們得在我們的生活中加入多樣性- 不只是資訊,還有關係的多樣性。
And by diversity, I mean big "D" diversity, not just racial and gender , which are very important, but also ... 我所指的多樣性是很廣泛的, 種族和性別是很重要,但不只這些, 還有…
racial:adj.种族的;人种的; gender:n.性别;
diversity of age, like young and old; rural and urban; liberal and conservative; in the US, Democrat and Republican. 年齡的多樣性,比如年輕及年邁、 郊區及市區、 自由及保守, 還有在美國的民主黨及共和黨。
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; liberal:adj.宽宏大度的; n.理解且尊重他人意见的人; Democrat:n.民主党人;民主主义者;民主政体论者;
Now, one of the great examples of somebody freeing themselves from their filter bubbles and getting a more diverse life is, once again, next to me -- Joan. 有一個很棒的例子 可以說明人要如何脫離 他們的過濾泡泡, 提高人生中的多樣性, 這例子又是,我旁邊的瓊安。
JB: So the question is: 瓊安:所以,問題是:
Who among you has had relationships lost or harmed due to differences in politics, religion or whatever? 在座各位有誰遇過因為政治、宗教、 或其他歧見而造成關係斷絕或受損?
Raise your hands. 請舉手。
Yeah. 好。
This year I have talked to so many people that have experienced that kind of loss. 今年,我和好多人談過, 他們都經歷過這種損失。
I've seen tears well up in people's eyes as they talk about family members from whom they're estranged . 我見過人們在談他們疏遠的家人時 眼中泛著淚光。
estranged:adj.疏远的; v.使(某人)疏远某人; (estrange的过去式和过去分词)
Living Room Conversations were designed to begin to heal political and personal differences. 「客廳對談」的設計目的 是要治癒政治和個人的歧見。
Living Room:n.客厅;起居室; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束 personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
They're simple conversations where two friends with different viewpoints each invite two friends for structured conversation, where everyone's agreed to some simple ground rules: curiosity , listening, respect, taking turns -- everything we learned in kindergarten , right? 它們是很簡單的對談, 觀點不同的兩位朋友, 各自邀請兩位朋友, 來做結構性的對談, 對談的每個人都要同意 遵守簡單的基本規則: 好奇心、傾聽、尊重、輪流- 都是我們在幼稚園學到的,對吧?
viewpoints:观点; structured:adj.有结构的;有组织的;v.组织;构成(structure的过去分词);建造; curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
Really easy. 很簡單。
So by the time you're talking about the topic you've agreed to talk about, you actually have the sense that, "You know, I kind of like this person," 所以,當你在談論 你同意要談的話題時, 你其實會感覺到: 「你知道嗎,我還算喜歡這個人。」
and you listen to each other differently. 且你會用不同的方式傾聽彼此。
That's kind of a human condition; we listen differently to people we care about. 那是一種人性, 我們會用不同方式傾聽我們在乎的人。
And then there's reflection and possibly next steps. 接著會有反思, 可能會有後續步驟。
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思;
This is a deep listening practice; it's never a debate . 這是深度傾聽的練習, 從來就不是辯論。
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑;
And that's incredibly powerful. 那是非常強大的。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
These conversations in our own living rooms with people who have different viewpoints are an incredible adventure . 在我們自家客廳和不同觀點的人 所做的這些交談, 是場非常棒的冒險。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
We rediscover that we can respect and even love people that are different from us. 我們重新發現,我們能夠 尊重和我們不同的人, 甚至去愛他們。
rediscover:vt.重新发现;再发现;
And it's powerful. 這很強大。
JG: So, what are you curious about? 約翰:所以,你對什麼感到好奇?
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
JB: What's the conversation you yearn to have? 瓊安:你渴望交談的是什麼?
yearn:vi.渴望,向往;思念,想念;怀念;同情,怜悯;
JG: Let's do this together. 約翰:咱們一起來這樣做。
Together. 同心協力。
JB: Yes. 瓊安:是的。
(Laughter) (笑聲)
(Applause) (掌聲)
JB and JG: Thank you. 瓊安和約翰:謝謝。