|
|
JinsopLee_2013-_五感设计_
|
In an age of global strife and climate change, |
?在一个全球冲突和气候变化的时代, |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; strife:n.冲突;争吵;不和;
|
I'm here to answer the all important question: |
我在此回答这个十分重要的问题: |
Why is sex so damn good? |
为什么性爱这么好? |
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
|
If you're laughing, you know what I mean. |
如果你在笑,说明你知道我的意思。 |
Now, before we get to that answer, let me tell you about Chris Hosmer. |
好,我们得到这个问题的答案之前, 我给你们讲一下Chris Hosmer 的故事。 |
Chris is a great friend of mine from my university days, but secretly, I hate him. |
Chris 是我上大学时的好朋友, 但我却暗地里恨他。 |
Here's why. Back in university, we had a quick project to design some solar-powered clocks. |
原因是上大学时,我们有一个短期专案 要设计一些太阳能供电的时钟。 |
solar-powered:adj.太阳能的;
|
Here's my clock. |
这是我当时设计的时钟, |
It uses something called the dwarf sunflower , which grows to about 12 inches in height. |
使用是一种叫矮向日葵的东西, 它长了大约12英寸那么高。 |
dwarf:v.变矮小;n.侏儒,矮子;adj.矮小的; sunflower:n.向日葵;
|
Now, as you know, sunflowers track the sun during the course of the day. |
而你们知道的,向日葵 在一天中跟踪太阳。 |
sunflowers:n.[作物]向日葵;葵花(sunflower的复数); track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
|
So in the morning, you see which direction the sunflower is facing, and you mark it on the blank area in the base. |
因此,早上你看到向日葵正朝向哪个方向, 就在底座上的空白区域做个记号。 |
At noon, you mark the changed position of the sunflower, and in the evening again, and that's your clock. |
中午,你记上向日葵变化的位置, 晚上也一样,那就是当时设计的时钟。 |
Now, I know my clock doesn't tell you the exact time, but it does give you a general idea using a flower. |
现在,我知道我的时钟不能准确地报时, 但它确实给你一个使用花卉的完整灵感。 |
So, in my completely unbiased , subjective opinion, it's brilliant. |
所以,以我完全公正、主观的意见, 我设计的时钟是绝妙的。 |
unbiased:adj.公正的;无偏见的; subjective:adj.主观的;个人的;自觉的;
|
However, here's Chris' clock. |
然而,这是Chris设计的时钟, |
It's five magnifying glasses with a shot glass under each one. |
用的是五个放大镜,每一个放大镜下边有一个小玻璃杯。 |
magnifying:v.放大;扩大;增强;夸大;(magnify的现在分词)
|
In each shot glass is a different scented oil. |
每一个小玻璃杯里盛的是一种不同香味的油。 |
scented:adj.散发着浓香的;芬芳的;v.嗅出;闻到;觉察出;(scent的过去分词和过去式)
|
In the morning, the sunlight will shine down on the first magnifying glass , focusing a beam of light on the shot glass underneath . |
早晨阳光从第一个放大镜 照下来, 光束聚焦到下面的小玻璃杯上, |
sunlight:n.日光; magnifying glass:n.放大镜; beam:n.光线; v.发射(电波); underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
|
This will warm up the scented oil inside, and a particular smell will be emitted . |
能把里面带香味的油晒热, 散发出一股香味。 |
emitted:adj.射出的;v.排放(emit的过去分词);发散;
|
A couple of hours later, the sun will shine on the next magnifying glass, and a different smell will be emitted. |
一两个小时后太阳就照在 下一个放大镜上, 发出另一股香味。 |
So during the course of the day, five different smells are dispersed throughout that environment. |
这样一天里五种不同的香味 弥漫在周围的环境里。 |
dispersed:adj.散布的;被分散的;被驱散的;v.分散;传播(disperse的过去分词); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
|
Anyone living in that house can tell the time just by the smell. |
住在那房子里的任何一个人仅仅根据闻到的香味 就能知道时间。 |
You can see why I hate Chris. |
你可以明白我为什么恨Chris了。 |
I thought my idea was pretty good, but his idea is genius , and at the time, I knew his idea was better than mine, but I just couldn't explain why. |
我觉得我的主意够不错了, 但他的点子实在是天才。 在当时我知道他的点子比我的好, 但我就是解释不清为什么。 |
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
|
One thing you have to know about me is I hate to lose. |
有件事你必须了解的是我不愿意输。 |
This problem's been bugging me for well over a decade. |
这毛病缠着我有十来年。 |
bugging:v.装窃听器;窃听;使恼怒;(bug的现在分词)
|
All right, let's get back to the question of why sex is so good. |
好吧,让我们回到为什么性爱这么好这个问题。 |
Many years after the solar powered clocks project, a young lady I knew suggested maybe sex is so good because of the five senses. |
在太阳能时钟事件过了许多年后, 我认识的一位年轻女士提议 或许因为人有五感 性爱才那么好。 |
And when she said this, I had an epiphany . |
她说这话让我有种顿悟。 |
epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
|
So I decided to evaluate different experiences I had in my life from the point of view of the five senses. |
所以我决定从五感的角度 评估我生活中的不同体验。 |
evaluate:v.评价;评估;估计; point of view:观点;见地;立场;
|
To do this, I devised something called the five senses graph. |
为做到这一点,我设计了一个叫五感图的东西。 |
devised:v.设计(devise的过去式和过去分词);计划;发明;
|
Along the y-axis , you have a scale from zero to 10, and along the x-axis , you have, of course, the five senses. |
沿y-轴从0到10来打分, 沿x-轴当然是五种感觉。 |
y-axis:n.Y轴;纵坐标轴; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; x-axis:n.X轴;横坐标轴;
|
Anytime I had a memorable experience in my life, |
每当生活中有了难忘的体验, |
memorable:adj.显著的,难忘的;值得纪念的;
|
I would record it on this graph like a five senses diary. |
我会像记五感日记一样,在这张图表上记下来。 |
Here's a quick video to show you how it works. |
这里有一小段录像向你们展示这张图是怎样用的。 |
(Video) Jinsop Lee: Hey, my name's Jinsop, and today, I'm going to show you what riding motorbikes is like from the point of view of the five senses. Hey! |
(录像)Jinsop Lee:嘿,我是Jinsop。 今天我要从五种感觉的角度 给你们演示骑摩托车。嘿! |
Bike designer: This is [unclear], custom bike designer. |
自行车设计者:这是[不清楚],定制自行车设计师。 |
(Motorcyle revving) |
(摩托车发动马达) |
[Sound] |
[听觉] |
[Touch] |
[触觉] |
[Sight] |
[视觉] |
[Smell] |
[嗅觉] |
[Taste] |
[味觉] |
JL: And that's how the five senses graph works. |
JL:这就是五感图的工作方式。 |
Now, for a period of three years, I gathered data, not just me but also some of my friends, and I used to teach in university, so I forced my -- |
到现在我收集数据有三年时间了, 不仅我自己还有我的一些朋友。 我曾在大学教过书,所以我强迫- |
I mean, I asked my students to do this as well. |
我的意思是叫我的学生也帮我收集数据。 |
So here are some other results. |
因此这里还有一些其它的结果。 |
The first is for instant noodles. |
第一个是吃方便面的。 |
instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas";
|
Now obviously, taste and smell are quite high, but notice sound is at three. |
现在显然味觉和嗅觉的打分相当高, 但注意听觉给的是3。 |
Many people told me a big part of the noodle-eating experience is the slurping noise. |
许多人告诉我 吃面条的体验主要是吸溜面条的声音。 |
slurping:v.(喝东西时)发出啧啧的声音;啧啧地响;(slurp的现在分词)
|
You know. (Slurps) |
你知道。(吸溜声) |
Needless to say, I no longer dine with these people. |
不用说,我不再和这些人一起吃饭。 |
Needless:adj.不必要的,不需要的;多余的,无用的; dine:v.进餐;用饭;
|
Okay, next, clubbing. |
好啦,接下来,泡吧。 |
Okay, here what I found interesting was that taste is at four, and many respondents told me it's because of the taste of drinks, but also, in some cases, kissing is a big part of the clubbing experience. |
好啦,这里我发现有趣的是 味觉给的是4。许多受访者告诉我 由于饮料的味道, 而且在某些情况下,接吻是泡吧体验的重要组成部分。 |
respondents:n.回答者,调查对象(respondent复数形式);
|
These people I still do hang out with . |
我还一直和这些人在一起。 |
hang out with:与…出去玩;与…闲逛;
|
All right, and smoking. |
好,接着是吸烟。 |
Here I found touch is at [six], and one of the reasons is that smokers told me the sensation of holding a cigarette and bringing it up to your lips is a big part of the smoking experience, which shows, it's kind of scary to think how well cigarettes are designed by the manufacturers . |
这里我发现触觉给的是6,原因之一是 吸烟的人告诉我手指夹着香烟并送到嘴唇上的感觉 是吸烟体验的重要组成部分。 这让人想想有点害怕的是 香烟由厂家设计得多么好。 |
sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动; manufacturers:n.生产者;制造者;生产商;(manufacturer的复数)
|
Okay. Now, what would the perfect experience look like on the five senses graph? |
好,现在这种完美体验 在五感图上会是什么样? |
It would, of course, be a horizontal line along the top. |
当然会是沿顶端的一条水平线。 |
horizontal:n.水平线;水平面;横线;水平位置;adj.水平的;与地面平行的;横的;
|
Now you can see, not even as intense an experience as riding a motorbike comes close. |
现在你会看出甚至连 骑摩托车那么强烈的体验都没接近这条完美的水平线。 |
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
|
In fact, in the years that I gathered data, only one experience came close to being the perfect one. |
事实上,在我收集数据的那几年里, 只有一种体验接近那个完美体验。 |
That is, of course, sex. Great sex. |
当然那是性爱,伟大的性爱。 |
Respondents said that great sex hits all of the five senses at an extreme level. |
受访者说伟大的性爱 触发了所有五种感觉达到一个极至。 |
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
|
Here I'll quote one of my students who said, "Sex is so good, it's good even when it's bad." |
这里我要引用我的一个学生说过的话, “性爱这么好,好到甚至过程不理想的时候也是好。“ |
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用;
|
So the five senses theory does help explain why sex is so good. |
所以五感理论确实有助于解释 性爱这么好的原因。 |
Now in the middle of all this five senses work, |
现在在所有五种感官的工作中, |
I suddenly remembered the solar-powered clocks project from my youth. |
我突然想起了那个青年时代的 太阳能供电时钟项目。 |
And I realized this theory also explains why Chris' clock is so much better than mine. |
太阳能供电时钟项目。 比我设计的要好的多。 |
You see, my clock only focuses on sight, and a little bit of touch. |
你看,我设计的时钟只集中在视觉上, 触觉只涉及了一点儿。 |
Here's Chris' clock. |
这是Chris设计的时钟。 |
It's the first clock ever that uses smell to tell the time. |
它是有史以来第一个用气味来报时的时钟。 |
In fact, in terms of the five senses, |
事实上,根据五种感觉 |
Chris' clock is a revolution . |
Chris设计的时钟是一场革命。 |
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
And that's what this theory taught me about my field. |
这就是在我的领域这个理论教会我的东西。 |
You see, up till now, us designers, we've mainly focused on making things look very pretty, and a little bit of touch, which means we've ignored the other three senses. |
你看,到目前为止,我们设计者们 主要集中在让东西看起来很好看, 只涉及到一点儿触觉, 意味着我们忽略了其它三种感觉。 |
mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地; ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
|
Chris' clock shows us that even raising just one of those other senses can make for a brilliant product. |
Chris设计的时钟向我们显示了甚至只提高其它感觉里的一种 就能够生产出优秀的产品。 |
So what if we started using the five senses theory in all of our designs? |
因此要是在所有我们的设计中 开始用五感理论呢? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
Here's three quick ideas I came up with. |
下面是我想出的三个小点子。 |
This is an iron, you know, for your clothes, to which I added a spraying mechanism , so you fill up the vial with your favorite scent, and your clothes will smell nicer, but hopefully it should also make the ironing experience more enjoyable . |
你知道这是一个熨衣服的熨斗, 我给它添加了一个喷雾机制, 所以用你最喜欢的香味填满这个小瓶, 你的衣服就会更好闻。 但愿它也会使 熨衣体验更加愉快。 |
spraying:v.喷;喷洒;向…扫射(或抛洒);撒尿(以示领地占有);(spray的现在分词) mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; vial:n.(用于盛装香水、药物等的)小瓶; enjoyable:adj.快乐的;令人愉快的;
|
We could call this "the perfumator." |
我们可以叫这个“香味制造器“。 |
All right, next. |
好, 下一个。 |
So I brush my teeth twice a day, and what if we had a toothbrush that tastes like candy, and when the taste of candy ran out, you'd know it's time to change your toothbrush? |
我一天刷两次牙。 要是我们用的牙刷 味道像糖, 当糖的味道没有时, 你就知道是换牙刷的时候了。 |
toothbrush:n.牙刷;
|
Finally , I have a thing for the keys on a flute or a clarinet . |
最后,我有个用在长笛或单簧管上的按键。 |
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; flute:n.长笛;细长香槟杯;v.吹笛子;给(衣服)加褶边,加荷叶边 clarinet:n.单簧管;竖笛,黑管;
|
It's not just the way they look, but I love the way they feel when you press down on them. |
并不是我喜欢它们的外观,而是我喜欢 把它们按下去时的感觉。 |
Now, I don't play the flute or the clarinet, so I decided to combine these keys with an instrument I do play: the television remote control . |
现在我不吹长笛或单簧管了, 所以我决定把这些按键和我的 电视遥控器组合起来。 |
instrument:n.仪器;工具;乐器;手段;器械; remote control:遥控;
|
Now, when we look at these three ideas together, you'll notice that the five senses theory doesn't only change the way we use these products but also the way they look. |
现在我们把这三个想法合起来看, 你会注意到五感理论 不只改变了我们用这些产品的方式, 也改变了它们外形设计的方式。 |
So in conclusion , I've found the five senses theory to be a very useful tool in evaluating different experiences in my life, and then taking those best experiences and hopefully incorporating them into my designs. |
因此得出的结论是,我已发现五感理论 是一个很有用的工具, 来评估我生活中不同的体验, 记下那些最好的体验, 并希望把它们纳入到我的设计中。 |
in conclusion:总之;最后; evaluating:v.估计;评价;评估;(evaluate的现在分词) incorporating:v.将…包括在内;包含;吸收;使并入;注册成立;(incorporate的现在分词)
|
Now, I realize the five senses isn't the only thing that makes life interesting. |
现在我意识到这五种感觉不仅是 使生活有趣的唯一的东西。 |
There's also the six emotions and that elusive x-factor . |
还有六种情感 和难以捉摸的未知因素。 |
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) elusive:adj.难懂的;易忘的;逃避的;难捉摸的; x-factor:未知因素(尤指获得成功所必需又难以描述的素质);
|
Maybe that could be the topic of my next talk. |
或许那将是我下一次演讲的话题。 |
Until then, please have fun using the five senses in your own lives and your own designs. |
在那之前,请把利用五种感觉的乐趣 用在你的生活 和你的设计中。 |
Oh, one last thing before I leave. |
哦,我结束前,最后还有一件事。 |
Here's the experience you all had while listening to the TED Talks. |
在听TED演讲时 你们大家都有的体验。 |
However, it would be better if we could boost up a couple of the other senses like smell and taste. |
但要是我们能提高 一两个像嗅觉和味觉一样的感觉会更好。 |
boost:n.提高;增长;帮助;激励;v.使增长;使兴旺;偷窃;
|
And the best way to do that is with free candy. |
要做到这一点,最好的方式 是发免费糖果. |
You guys ready? |
你们准备好了吗? |
All right. |
好的。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |