返回首页

JessicaShortall_2015X-_美国是如何辜负新晋父母和他们的宝宝的_

What does a working mother look like? 职场妈妈是什么样的?
If you ask the Internet, this is what you'll be told. 这两件事我们同时需要,那我们至少要保证
Never mind that this is what you'll actually produce if you attempt to work at a computer with a baby on your lap. 而在情绪失调可能带来的诸多后果中, 这就是当你抱着孩子在电脑前工作的结果。
Never mind:没关系; attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But no, this isn't a working mother. 但是,这并不是一个职场妈妈真正的样子。
You'll notice a theme in these photos. We'll look at a lot of them. 一会儿我们还会展示一些照片,你会发现一个共同点。
That theme is amazing natural lighting, which, as we all know, is the hallmark of every American workplace . 那就是绝美的自然光线, 这一点,众所周知, 是美国办公场所的标志。
hallmark:n.特点;品质证明;vt.给…盖上品质证明印记;使具有…标志; workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
There are thousands of images like these. 这样的照片有数千张之多。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
Just put the term "working mother" into any Google image search engine , stock photo site . 只要将“职场妈妈”,输入谷歌图片搜索引擎, 或者图片素材网站,就能找到。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; search engine:n.(计算机)搜索引擎; stock:n.股票; v.库存; adj.老一套的; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
They're all over the Internet, they're topping blog posts and news pieces, and I've become kind of obsessed with them and the lie that they tell us and the comfort that they give us, 网上到处都是这样的照片, 无论是在知名博客中,还是在新闻报道里, 这些照片让我感到不安,因为它们在说谎, 它们在安慰我们,
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志; obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
that when it comes to new working motherhood in America, everything's fine. 说美国那些返回工作岗位的妈妈们, 一切都很顺利。
motherhood:n.母性;母亲身份;
But it's not fine. 但事实并非如此。
As a country, we are sending millions of women back to work every year, incredibly and kind of horrifically soon after they give birth. 美国每年让数百万刚刚生完小孩的女性 立刻开始上班,速度之快,令人震惊, 甚至有点可怕。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; horrifically:adv.极其可怕地;令人恐惧地;
That's a moral problem but today I'm also going to tell you why it's an economic problem. 这是一个道德问题, 但今天我想讲讲为什么这还是个经济问题。
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
I got so annoyed and obsessed with the unreality of these images, which look nothing like my life, that I recently decided to shoot and star in a parody series of stock photos that I hoped the world would start to use 这些虚假的照片让我感觉很难受, 因为它跟我的生活一点都不像, 于是我最近决定自己来拍一组素材照片, 希望大家能开始使用,
annoyed:adj.恼怒;生气;烦恼;v.使恼怒;使生气;打扰;骚扰(annoy的过去分词和过去式) unreality:n.不真实;非现实; recently:adv.最近;新近; parody:n.拙劣的模仿;诙谐的改编诗文;vt.拙劣模仿; series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
just showing the really awkward reality of going back to work when your baby's food source is attached to your body. 我展示的都是新妈妈们确实会遇到的尴尬情况, 因为婴儿的食物来源是固定在妈妈身上的。
awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
I'm just going to show you two of them. 下面我放其中的两张给大家看。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Nothing says "Give that girl a promotion" like leaking breast milk through your dress during a presentation . 这个姑娘在做产品说明,奶水透过裙子渗出来了, 不会有人说,“让她升职吧”。
leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词) presentation:n.展示;描述,陈述;介绍;赠送;
You'll notice that there's no baby in this photo, because that's not how this works, not for most working mothers. 这张照片里并没有婴儿, 因为这才是现实, 大多数妈妈都不会带孩子去上班。
Did you know, and this will ruin your day, that every time a toilet is flushed , its contents are aerosolized and they'll stay airborne for hours? 还有一件事,你们听了也许会疯掉, 每冲一次厕所,脏东西会呈气雾化散开, 并在空气中悬浮几个小时。
ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产; flushed:adj.脸红的;v.发红;脸红;(用水)冲洗净,冲洗;(flush的过去分词和过去式) contents:n.内容; v.知足; (content的第三人称单数和复数) aerosolized:v.雾化(aerosolize的过去分词);使…成烟雾状散开; airborne:adj.[航]空运的;空气传播的;风媒的;
And yet, for many new working mothers, this is the only place during the day that they can find to make food for their newborn babies. 而对于许多开始上班的新妈妈们而言, 厕所是她们白天唯一能找到的地方, 来为自己的宝宝准备食物。
newborn:adj.新生的;再生的;n.婴儿;
I put these things, a whole dozen of them, into the world. 我拍了很多这样的照片,好几十张,发到网上。
I wanted to make a point . 我原本只想表明一种态度。
to make a point:表明一种观点;
I didn't know what I was also doing was opening a door, because now, total strangers from all walks of life write to me all the time just to tell me what it's like for them to go back to work within days or weeks of having a baby. 但没想到这件事引起了很大的反响, 现在,来自各行各业的陌生人, 会不停地给我发邮件, 与我分享自己生完孩子数天或者数周后, 重返工作岗位的感受。
I'm going to share 10 of their stories with you today. 今天我想与大家分享其中的10个故事。
They are totally real, some of them are very raw, and not one of them looks anything like this. 这些故事都是真实的,有些还很残酷, 完全不像这张照片这么美好。
Here's the first. 这是第一个。
'"I was an active duty service member at a federal prison. “我是联邦监狱一名现役狱警。
federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地;
I returned to work after the maximum allowed eight weeks for my C-section . 我在剖腹产后八周开始上班,这是我能拿到的最长假期。
maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的; C-section:n.剖腹产;
A male coworker was annoyed that I had been out on 'vacation,' so he intentionally opened the door on me while I was pumping breast milk and stood in the doorway with inmates in the hallway." 一名男同事对于我“休了个长假”很不满意, 于是他故意在我挤奶的时候打开门, 站在门口,身后还站着犯人。”
coworker:n.同事;合作者; intentionally:adv.故意地,有意地; pumping:v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;(pump的现在分词) doorway:n.门口;途径; inmates:n.被收容者;居民(inmate的名词复数);
Most of the stories that these women, total strangers, send to me now, are not actually even about breastfeeding . 而大部分给我发邮件的女性,完全陌生的女性, 甚至都没提到母乳喂养的事。
breastfeeding:n.母乳哺育;v.用母乳喂养(breastfeed的现在分词);
A woman wrote to me to say, "I gave birth to twins and went back to work after seven unpaid weeks. 其中一个写到, “我生了一对双胞胎,在7周无薪假期后开始上班。
unpaid:adj.未付款的;[税收]未缴纳的;无报酬的;
Emotionally , I was a wreck . 精神上,我的情绪崩溃了。
Emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难;
Physically, I had a severe hemorrhage during labor, and major tearing, so I could barely get up, sit or walk. 生理上,我在生产过程中大出血,还有严重撕裂伤, 我几乎起不来床,也无法坐立或行走。
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; hemorrhage:n.[病理]出血(等于haemorrhage);番茄汁;vt.[病理]出血;vi.[病理]出血; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
My employer told me I wasn't allowed to use my available vacation days because it was budget season." 我老板告诉我,我不能用自己的假期, 因为正赶上做预算的时期。”
employer:n.雇主,老板; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的;
I've come to believe that we can't look situations like these in the eye because then we'd be horrified , and if we get horrified then we have to do something about it. 我开始相信,我们无法接受这些情况, 因为这太可怕了, 而当我们感到害怕时,总会做点什么来避免。
horrified:adj.惊骇的;带有恐怖感的;v.惊骇(horrify的过去式和过去分词);使…战悚;
So we choose to look at, and believe, this image. 于是我们选择去浏览并且相信这样的照片。
I don't really know what's going on in this picture, because I find it weird and slightly creepy . 说实话,我看不懂这张照片, 总感觉哪里怪怪的,甚至有点让我心里发毛。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; creepy:adj.令人毛骨悚然的;爬行的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Like, what is she doing? 这女的到底在干嘛?
But I know what it tells us. 但是我明白它的目的。
It tells us that everything's fine. 它想告诉我们,一切都好。
This working mother, all working mothers and all of their babies, are fine. 这位职场妈妈,所有职场妈妈,所有的婴儿,一切都好。
There's nothing to see here. 没什么需要关注的。
And anyway, women have made a choice, so none of it's even our problem. 而且,这是女性们自己做出的选择, 因此跟我们没什么关系。
I want to break this choice thing down into two parts. 我想把这里的“选择”分成两部分。
The first choice says that women have chosen to work. 第一,是女性自己选择了去工作。
So, that's not true. 然而并非如此。
Today in America, women make up 47 percent of the workforce , and in 40 percent of American households a woman is the sole or primary breadwinner . 如今的美国,47%的劳动力是女性, 在40%的美国家庭中间, 女性是唯一的或者主要的经济来源。
workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工; households:n.家庭;拆迁户;家户(household的复数); sole:n.鞋底; adj.仅有的; v.给(鞋)换底; breadwinner:n.负担家计的人;养家糊口的人;
Our paid work is a part, a huge part, of the engine of this economy , and it is essential for the engines of our families. 女性的有偿劳动是美国经济引擎的一个零件,很重要的零件, 也是我们家庭经济引擎的必要零件。
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
On a national level, our paid work is not optional . 从国家层面来说,女性的有偿劳动是必须的。
optional:adj.可选择的,随意的;n.选修科目;
Choice number two says that women are choosing to have babies, so women alone should bear the consequences of those choices. 第二,是女性自己选择了生孩子, 因此女性应该独自承担后果。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
You know, that's one of those things that when you hear it in passing, can sound correct. 这话乍一听, 似乎还有点道理。
I didn't make you have a baby. “我又没强迫你生孩子。
I certainly wasn't there when that happened. 这事儿跟我没关系。”
But that stance ignores a fundamental truth, which is that our procreation on a national scale is not optional. 但是这种态度忽略了一个基本事实, 就是生育这件事,从国家层面来说是必须的。
stance:n.立场;姿态;位置;准备击球姿势; ignores:v.忽视;对…不予理会;不予理睬;(ignore的第三人称单数) fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; procreation:n.生殖;生产; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
The babies that women, many of them working women, are having today, will one day fill our workforce, protect our shores, make up our tax base. 女性们——其中很多是职场女性——今天生下的孩子, 将来会成为劳动力,成为军人, 成为纳税人。
Our procreation on a national scale is not optional. 因此,从国家层面来说,生育是必须的。
These aren't choices. 没法进行选择。
We need women to work. We need working women to have babies. 我们需要女性去工作。我们还需要工作的女性生孩子。
So we should make doing those things at the same time at least palatable , right? 这两件事我们同时需要,那我们至少要保证 这是可行的,对吧?
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; palatable:adj.美味的,可口的;愉快的;
OK, this is pop quiz time: what percentage of working women in America do you think have no access to paid maternity leave ? 好,下面是小测验时间: 你们觉得在美国,有多少比例的职场女性 没办法取得带薪产假?
pop quiz:n.(给学生的)突击小测验; percentage:n.百分比;百分率;利润的分成;提成; maternity leave:产假;
88 percent. 88%。
88 percent of working mothers will not get one minute of paid leave after they have a baby. 88%的职场女性在生完孩子后 得不到带薪产假。
So now you're thinking about unpaid leave. 你也许会问,那不带薪的产假呢?
It exists in America. It's called FMLA. It does not work. 这在美国是有的,叫做《家庭与医疗休假法案》。但是没什么用。
Because of the way it's structured , all kinds of exceptions, half of new mothers are ineligible for it. 因为它的规定里有很多限制, 有一半的新妈妈根本达不到标准。
structured:adj.有结构的;有组织的;v.组织;构成(structure的过去分词);建造; ineligible:adj.不合格的;不适任的;无被选资格的;n.无被选资格的人;
Here's what that looks like. 比如有下面这样的情况。
'"We adopted our son. “我们的儿子是收养的。
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
When I got the call, the day he was born, I had to take off work. 他出生那天,我接到电话,需要请假。
I had not been there long enough to qualify for FMLA, so I wasn't eligible for unpaid leave. 我在公司工作的时间还不够长,不适用《家庭与医疗休假法案》, 因此无法享受不带薪休假。
qualify for:合格;有…的资格; eligible for:合格;够资格;
When I took time off to meet my newborn son, 当我去见完我刚出生的儿子后,
I lost my job." 我被开除了。”
These corporate stock photos hide another reality, another layer . 这些素材照片还隐藏了另一件事实,
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; layer:n.层,层次; vt.把…分层堆放; vi.形成或分成层次;
Of those who do have access to just that unpaid leave, most women can't afford to take much of it at all. 那些按规定可以享受不带薪假期的女性, 却又无法承受长时间的休假。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
A nurse told me, "I didn't qualify for short-term disability because my pregnancy was considered a preexisting condition. 一位护士对我讲,“我不符合短期无劳动能力的标准, 因为我怀孕这件事发生在前。
short-term:adj.短期的; disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件; pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长; preexisting:adj.先前存在的;先于…而存在的;
We used up all of our tax returns and half of our savings during my six unpaid weeks. 我花光了所有的退还税款和一半的积蓄, 用来支付我6周无薪假期的支出。
savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数)
We just couldn't manage any longer. 时间再长我们就撑不住了。
Physically it was hard, but emotionally it was worse. 首先身体就吃不消,精神压力也让我濒临崩溃。
I struggled for months being away from my son." 离开我儿子(去上班)让我难受了好几个月。”
struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
So this decision to go back to work so early, it's a rational economic decision driven by family finances, but it's often physically horrific because putting a human into the world is messy . 因此,早些返回工作岗位, 是由家庭经济状况决定的,看起来合情合理, 但对于(产后妇女的)身体而言太可怕了, 因为她们还没有完全恢复。
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的; messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的;
A waitress told me, "With my first baby, I was back at work five weeks postpartum . 一位女服务员告诉我, “生完第一个小孩,我5周后回去上班。
waitress:n.女服务员;女侍者;vi.做女服务生; postpartum:adj.产后的;adv.在产后;
With my second, I had to have major surgery after giving birth, so I waited until six weeks to go back. 而生完第二个,我在产后动了个大手术, 我休息了6周才重新开始上班。
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
I had third degree tears." 我当时有三度撕裂。”
third degree:疲劳讯问;酷刑逼供;拷问;共济会成员的第三级;
23 percent of new working mothers in America will be back on the job within two weeks of giving birth. 在美国,有23%的母亲 生完孩子后2周内就开始上班。
'"I worked as a bartender and cook, average of 75 hours a week while pregnant . “我是一名酒吧招待和厨师,怀孕期间平均每周工作75小时,
bartender:n.酒保,酒吧间销售酒精饮料的人;酒吧侍者; pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
I had to return to work before my baby was a month old, working 60 hours a week. 我不得不在孩子满月前回去上班, 每周工作60小时。
One of my coworkers was only able to afford 10 days off with her baby." 而我的一个同事只能拿到10天的产假。”
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式)
Of course, this isn't just a scenario with economic and physical implications . 毫无疑问,(生孩子)不仅仅会影响经济状况和身体健康。
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; implications:n.蕴涵式;暗指,暗示;含蓄,含意;卷入(implication的复数);
Childbirth is, and always will be, an enormous psychological event. 同时,无论是现在还是将来,它也会对心理造成巨大影响。
Childbirth:n.分娩; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的;
A teacher told me, "I returned to work eight weeks after my son was born. 一位老师告诉我, “我是在儿子出生后8周开始上班的。
I already suffer from anxiety , but the panic attacks I had prior to returning to work were unbearable ." 本来我就够焦虑了, 但重返工作岗位的恐慌简直让我难以承受。”
anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措; prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先; unbearable:adj.难以忍受的;承受不住的;
Statistically speaking, the shorter a woman's leave after having a baby, the more likely she will be to suffer from postpartum mood disorders like depression and anxiety, 从统计学角度来讲, 妇女的产假越短, 她出现产后情绪失调的可能性就越大, 比如抑郁和焦虑,
Statistically:adv.统计地;统计学上; mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛; disorders:n.无秩序,混乱; v.[电子]扰乱(disorder的单三形式); depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
and among many potential consequences of those disorders, suicide is the second most common cause of death in a woman's first year postpartum. 而在情绪失调可能带来的诸多后果中, 自杀的比例很高,它在妇女产后一年内死亡原因中 排在第二。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀;
Heads up that this next story -- 请注意听下面这个故事——
I've never met this woman, but I find it hard to get through. 我没见过这位女士,但她的故事让我难以释怀。
'"I feel tremendous grief and rage that I lost an essential, irreplaceable and formative time with my son. “我感到强烈的悲伤和愤怒,因为我失去了 与我儿子相处的关键的成长时期,这段时间是无法弥补的。
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸; rage:n.狂怒;暴怒;(某情况引起的)愤怒;v.发怒;怒斥;猛烈地继续;激烈进行; irreplaceable:adj.不能替代的,不能调换的; formative:adj.形成的;造型的;格式化的;n.构词要素;
Labor and delivery left me feeling absolutely broken. 分娩和生育的过程让我筋疲力竭。
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
For months, all I remember is the screaming: colic , they said. 几个月来,我一直忍不住因为腹痛而大声呻吟,他们说这是疝气。
colic:n.疝气;疝痛;急腹痛;
On the inside, I was drowning . 我的内心已经濒临崩溃。
drowning:v.溺水;淹没;淹死,溺死;浸泡;(drown的现在分词)
Every morning, I asked myself how much longer I could do it. 每天早晨,我都问自己还能坚持多久。
I was allowed to bring my baby to work. 我可以带着宝宝去上班。
I closed my office door while I rocked and shushed and begged him to stop screaming so I wouldn't get in trouble. 当他哭闹时,我别无他法,只能关上办公室的门, 求他停止哭闹,免得我丢了工作。
shushed:n.嘘声;vt.使安静;vi.发嘘声;int.嘘(示意安静下来);
I hid behind that office door every damn day and cried while he screamed. 我每天都躲在那扇该死的门背后, 一边哭泣一边听他哭闹。
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
I cried in the bathroom while I washed out the pump equipment. 我在洗手间清洗挤奶器的时候也在流泪。
washed out:adj.褪色的;被冲蚀的;筋疲力尽的;
Every day, I cried all the way to work and all the way home again. 每一天,无论上班还是在家我都只能以泪洗面。
I promised my boss that the work I didn't get done during the day, 我向老板保证,白天没干完的工作,
I'd make up at night from home. 晚上我会在家里补上。
I thought, there's just something wrong with me that I can't swing this." 我想,自己肯定出什么问题了,而且我自己无法解决。”
So those are the mothers. 妈妈们是这种情况。
What of the babies? 那宝宝们呢?
As a country, do we care about the millions of babies born every year to working mothers? 作为一个国家,我们对于职场女性每年生育的 数百万婴儿是否关心呢?
I say we don't, not until they're of working and tax-paying and military-serving age. 我认为做得不够, 我们的关心是从他们可以工作,纳税,服役时才开始的。
We tell them we'll see them in 18 years, and getting there is kind of on them. 我们对孩子们说,等你们满18岁再说吧, 在那之前你们得靠自己。
One of the reasons I know this is that babies whose mothers have 12 or more weeks at home with them are more likely to get their vaccinations and their well checks in their first year, so those babies are more protected from deadly and disabling diseases . 为什么说这些,原因之一是,那些可以在家陪伴宝宝 12周或者更久的妈妈们, 在孩子一岁前,会更倾向于给宝宝打疫苗,并且更关注宝宝的健康, 因此这些宝宝们被保护得更好,不易夭折,也不易患病致残。
vaccinations:n.接种疫苗;种痘; deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; disabling:v.使不能;使失去能力;致残疾(disable的ing形式); diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
But those things are hidden behind images like this. 但这些事实都被隐藏在类似这样的照片背后。
America has a message for new mothers who work and for their babies. 美国对当了妈妈的职场女性以及她们的宝宝传递这样的信息。
Whatever time you get together , you should be grateful for it, and you're an inconvenience to the economy and to your employers . 无论你的产假是长是短,都应该心怀感激, 而且你要意识到,你休产假 给经济发展和你的雇主带来了不便。
get together:聚会 inconvenience:n.不便;麻烦;困难;带来不便者;;v.给(某人)造成不便(或带来麻烦); employers:n.雇主;雇用者;(employer的复数)
That narrative of gratitude runs through a lot of the stories I hear. 这种满怀谢意的话,我在许多故事中都能听到。
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; gratitude:n.感谢(的心情);感激;
A woman told me, "I went back at eight weeks after my C-section because my husband was out of work. 一位女士告诉我, “我在剖腹产后休息了8周就上班了, 因为我丈夫没有工作。
Without me, my daughter had failure to thrive . 我不在身边,女儿过得很不好。
thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
She wouldn't take a bottle. 她不愿意喝奶粉。
She started losing weight. 体重开始下降。
Thankfully , my manager was very understanding. 好在我的经理非常理解我。
Thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地;
He let my mom bring my baby, who was on oxygen and a monitor, four times a shift so I could nurse her." 他让我母亲带着宝宝来公司, 当时宝宝还输着氧,带着监视器, 这样我在上班期间能照顾她。”
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
There's a little club of countries in the world that offer no national paid leave to new mothers. 世界上只有少数几个国家, 没有实行全民带薪产假。
Care to guess who they are? 能猜到都有哪些国家吗?
The first eight make up eight million in total population. 前8个国家加起来只有800万人口。
They are Papua New Guinea , Suriname and the tiny island nations of Micronesia , Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau and Tonga. 有巴布亚新几内亚,苏里南和几个小的岛国, 包括密克罗尼西亚,马绍尔群岛,还有瑙鲁,纽埃,帕劳和汤加。
Papua:n.巴布亚岛(新几内亚岛NewGuinea的旧名); Guinea:n.几内亚;基尼(英国旧时金币名); Micronesia:n.密克罗尼西亚(西太平洋岛群);
Number nine is the United States of America , with 320 million people. 第9个就是美利坚合众国, 拥有3亿2千万人口。
United States of America:un.美利坚合众国;
Oh, that's it. 哦,后面没有了。
That's the end of the list. 美国是名单上最后一个。
Every other economy on the planet has found a way to make some level of national paid leave work for the people doing the work of the future of those countries, but we say, "We couldn't possibly do that." 这个星球上所有其他国家, 都有全民带薪产假,时间有长有短, 来照顾那些为了国家的未来在工作,在生育的人们, 而我们却说,“我们可能办不到。”
We say that the market will solve this problem, and then we cheer when corporations offer even more paid leave to the women who are already the highest-educated and highest-paid among us. 我们认为市场可以解决这个问题, 大公司们给女士们更多带薪产假,我们欢欣鼓舞, 这些女士们原本就接受了最好的教育,拿着最高的薪水。
corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式);
Remember that 88 percent? 还记得之前说的88%吗?
Those middle- and low-income women are not going to participate in that. 那些中低收入的女性根本无法享受这些。
participate:v.参加;参与;
We know that there are staggering economic, financial , physical and emotional costs to this approach . 我们明白,要改变这一点,需要我们从经济、财政、生理和心理 各方面都做好充分的准备。
staggering:adj.惊人的; v.蹒跚; (stagger的现在分词) financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
We have decided -- decided, not an accident, to pass these costs directly on to working mothers and their babies. 于是我们决定——是决定,不是意外发生的, 将这些负担直接转移到职场女性和她们的宝宝身上。
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
We know the price tag is higher for low-income women, therefore disproportionately for women of color. 我们知道这些负担对那些低收入的女性们更加沉重, 对于非白人女性更是如此。
price tag:n.价格标签; disproportionately:adv.不成比例地;
We pass them on anyway. 但我们依然这样做了。
All of this is to America's shame. 这一切是美国的耻辱。
But it's also to America's risk. 但同时也让美国陷入了巨大的风险。
Because what would happen if all of these individual so-called choices to have babies started to turn into individual choices not to have babies. 因为,如果有一天, 所有这些“选择”要孩子的人 开始选择不要孩子,会怎么样呢?
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的;
One woman told me, "New motherhood is hard. It shouldn't be traumatic . 一位女士对我说, “新时代的妈妈不好当。本不应如此痛苦的。
traumatic:adj.外伤的;创伤的;n.外伤药;
When we talk about expanding our family now, we focus on how much time I would have to care for myself and a new baby. 当我们计划再要一个小孩时, 考虑得最多的是我能有多少时间来照顾自己和宝宝。
expanding:v.扩大,增加,增强细谈;详述;(expand的现在分词)
If we were to have to do it again the same way as with our first, we might stick with one kid." 如果还跟生老大的时候一样, 那我们宁愿只生一个。”
The birthrate needed in America to keep the population stable is 2.1 live births per woman. 如果要保持美国的人口稳定, 每位女性平均要生2.1个孩子。
stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房;
In America today, we are at 1.86. 而美国现在的数字是1.86。
We need women to have babies, and we are actively disincentivizing working women from doing that. 我们需要女性生育孩子, 而我们却没有为她们创造充分的条件来实现它。
What would happen to work force, to innovation , to GDP, if one by one , the working mothers of this country were to decide that they can't bear to do this thing more than once? 如果职场女性一个个都觉得 自己无法承受再要一个孩子, 这对劳动力、创新、国内生产总值意味着什么?
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; one by one:一个接一个;
I'm here today with only one idea worth spreading, and you've guessed what it is. 我今天就想表达一个观点, 你们应该已经猜到了。
It is long since time for the most powerful country on Earth to offer national paid leave to the people doing the work of the future of this country and to the babies who represent that future. 作为地球上最强大的国家, 美国早就应该推行全民带薪产假了, 这不单是为了在为美国的未来拼搏的妈妈们, 也为了代表美国未来的宝宝们。
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
Childbirth is a public good. 生育是一项公益事业。
This leave should be state-subsidized. 产假应由国家来补贴。
It should have no exceptions for small businesses, length of employment or entrepreneurs . 应一视同仁,无论公司大小, 工作年限长短或者老板是谁。
employment:n.使用;职业;雇用; entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数)
It should be able to be shared between partners. 应该能由伴侣双方共享。
I've talked today a lot about mothers, but co-parents matter on so many levels. 我今天讲的大部分都是妈妈, 但是伴侣中的另一半同样非常重要。
Not one more woman should have to go back to work while she is hobbling and bleeding . 不要再让任何女性一瘸一拐,还流着血 就去上班了。
hobbling:vi.蹒跚;跛行;vt.使跛行;n.跛行步态; bleeding:n.出血;渗色;adj.流血的;同情的;v.出血;渗出;(bleed的现在分词)
Not one more family should have to drain their savings account to buy a few days of rest and recovery and bonding. 不要再让任何家庭花光积蓄, 仅仅为了能多休息几天,调养身体。
drain:v.排水;流干;喝光,耗尽;n.排水;下水道,排水管;消耗; recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获;
Not one more fragile infant should have to go directly from the incubator to day care because his parents have used up all of their meager time sitting in the NICU. 不要再让任何脆弱的婴儿 直接从保温箱转到托儿所, 仅仅因为他的父母将仅有的那一点点假期都用于 守候在新生儿重症监护室。
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的; incubator:n.[禽]孵卵器;[儿科]保温箱;早产儿保育器;细菌培养器; meager:adj.贫乏的;瘦的;n.兆;
Not one more working family should be told that the collision of their work, their needed work and their needed parenthood , is their problem alone. 不要再对任何家庭说, 他们作为员工和父母这两种身份的矛盾, 只能由他们自己解决。
collision:n.抵触;碰撞(或相撞)事故; parenthood:n.亲子关系;父母身份;
The catch is that when this is happening to a new family, it is consuming , and a family with a new baby is more financially vulnerable than they've ever been before, so that new mother cannot afford to speak up on her own behalf . 问题在于当这一切发生在一个新家庭时,会很让人伤脑筋, 有新生儿的家庭的财政状况 比以往任何时候都脆弱, 因此新妈妈没办法站出来为自己的利益发声。
consuming:adj.消费的;强烈的;v.消耗(consume的ing形式); financially:adv.财政上;金融上; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; behalf:n.代表;利益;
But all of us have voices. 但我们可以发声。
I am done, done having babies, and you might be pre-baby, you might be post-baby, you might be no baby. 我已经生完孩子了,不想再要了, 你可能准备要孩子, 你可能要完孩子了, 你可能不打算要孩子。
It should not matter. 这都没关系。
We have to stop framing this as a mother's issue , or even a women's issue. 我们不该仅仅把它看作是妈妈的事, 或者女性的事。
framing:v.给…做框;作伪证陷害;制订;拟订;n.框架;结构;骨骼;(frame的现在分词) issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
This is an American issue. 这是全美国的事。
We need to stop buying the lie that these images tell us. 我们应该停止相信这些骗人的照片。
We need to stop being comforted by them. 我们应该停止从中获得安慰。
We need to question why we're told that this can't work when we see it work everywhere all over the world. 我们应该质疑,为什么美国做不到, 而其他国家都能做到。
We need to recognize that this American reality is to our dishonor and to our peril . 我们应该意识到,美国的这一现实, 对我们而言是耻辱和危险。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; dishonor:v.使丢脸;侮辱;不遵守;拒付;n.丢脸;丢脸的事;(票据的)拒绝付款; peril:n.危险;冒险;vt.危及;置…于险境;
Because this is not, this is not, and this is not what a working mother looks like. 因为这不是, 这也不是, 这些都不是,职场妈妈真实的样子。
(Applause) (掌声)