|
|
JessiArrington_2011A-_旧衣新穿_
|
I'm Jessi, and this is my suitcase . |
我是杰西, 这是我的旅行箱。 |
suitcase:n.[轻]手提箱;衣箱;
|
But before I show you what I've got inside, |
但是当我给你看我在里面装什么之前, |
I'm going to make a very public confession , and that is, |
我要做一个非常公开的坦白, 那就是, |
confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认;
|
I'm outfit obsessed . |
我对衣服极度迷恋。 |
outfit:n.全套服装;团队;小组;分队;v.装备;配置设备;供给服装; obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
|
I love finding, wearing, and more recently , photographing and blogging a different colorful, crazy outfit for every single occasion. |
我超爱寻找它们并穿上它们, 最近, 还爱上了拍它们的照片和写有关它们的博客, 每一套与众不同,丰富多彩,疯狂的衣服 都有其最适合的那一个场合。 |
recently:adv.最近;新近; blogging:v.写网志;写博客(blog的现在分词)
|
But I don't buy anything new. |
但我不买任何新东西。 |
I get all my clothes secondhand from flea markets and thrift stores. |
我的衣服都是二手买到的 从跳蚤市场和旧货店。 |
secondhand:adj.二手的;旧的;间接获得的;做旧货生意的;adv.间接地;间接听来;以旧货; flea:n.跳蚤;低廉的旅馆;生蚤的动物; thrift:n.节俭;节约;[植]海石竹;
|
Aww, thank you. |
噢,谢谢你。 |
Secondhand shopping allows me to reduce the impact my wardrobe has on the environment and on my wallet. |
二手购物 让我减少 购买衣服对环境的影响, 以及对我钱包的影响。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; wardrobe:n.衣柜;衣橱;(英国)放置衣物的壁橱;(一个人的)全部衣物;
|
I get to meet all kinds of great people; my dollars usually go to a good cause; |
我能结识各种有趣的人; 还能省下钱捐给慈善机构; |
I look pretty unique; and it makes shopping like my own personal treasure hunt . |
我的打扮也自成一派; 同时,购物变成了我的私人寻宝。 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; treasure hunt:n.寻宝游戏(回答问题以获得匿藏的奖品);
|
I mean, what am I going to find today? |
我会想,我今天会找到什么? |
Is it going to be my size? |
会不会正好是我的尺寸? |
Will I like the color? |
会是我喜欢的颜色吗? |
Will it be under $20? |
会在二十美金以下吗? |
If all the answers are yes, |
如果答案都是“是”, |
I feel as though I've won. |
我就觉得自己赢了。 |
I want to get back to my suitcase and tell you what I packed for this exciting week here at TED. |
我想回到我的旅行箱 告诉你们为了在TED这激动人心的一周, 我都带了些什么。 |
I mean, what does somebody with all these outfits bring with her? |
这个有这么多的衣服的家伙到底会带什么? |
outfits:n.全套装备; v.装备;
|
So I'm going to show you exactly what I brought. |
所以我要给你看到底我带了什么。 |
I brought seven pairs of underpants and that's it. |
我带了七条內裤 就这些。 |
underpants:n.内衣裤;衬裤;
|
Exactly one week's worth of undies is all I put in my suitcase. |
正好一周的內裤 是我旅行箱内的一切。 |
undies:n.(妇女或小孩的)内衣;
|
I was betting that I'd be able to find everything else I could possible want to wear once I got here to Palm Springs. |
我打赌我在棕榈泉, 会找到 我需要的所有衣服。 |
betting:n.打赌;赌钱;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;(bet的现在分词) Palm:n.手掌;手心;棕榈树;v.把…藏在手中(尤指玩戏法);
|
And since you don't know me as the woman walking around TED in her underwear -- |
既然你现在看到的我, 不是那个“穿着内裤在TED走来走去的女人”- |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
that means I found a few things. |
这就说明我确实找到了一些新东西。 |
And I'd really love to show you my week's worth of outfits right now. |
而且现在我真的很想给你看我一周的衣服。 |
Does that sound good? |
是不是听起来很不错? |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So as I do this, |
当然同时, |
I'm also going to tell you a few of the life lessons that, believe it or not, I have picked up in these adventures wearing nothing new. |
我还会和你们聊一聊生活指导之类的, 无论你们是否相信,这些都是 我在“旧衣新穿”冒险中提炼出来的想法。 |
So let's start with Sunday. |
那么我们从星期日开始。 |
I call this shiny tiger. |
我叫这个“闪亮老虎”。 |
shiny:adj.闪亮的;光亮的;反光的;有光泽的;
|
You do not have to spend a lot of money to look great. |
你不需要用很多的钱也能显得气质非凡。 |
You can almost always look phenomenal for under $50. |
甚至你几乎总可以只花不到50美金,就能令人印象深刻。 |
phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
|
This whole outfit, including the jacket, cost me 55, and it was the most expensive thing that I wore the entire week. |
这整套衣服, 包括外套 用了我五十五美金, 而这是我这一整周内 穿的最贵的衣服。 |
Monday: Color is powerful. |
星期一:色彩是强大的。 |
It is almost physiologically impossible to be in a bad mood when you're wearing bright red pants. |
在生理上,几乎不可能 穿上明亮的红色裤子时仍然心情郁闷。 |
physiologically:adv.生理学方面; mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
If you are happy, you are going to attract other happy people to you. |
如果你快乐, 你会吸引到其他快乐的人。 |
Tuesday: |
星期二: |
Fitting in is way overrated . |
主流被远远高估了。 |
Fitting:adj.适合的;恰当的;n.试衣;小配件,附件;v.适合,合身;试穿;(fit的现在分词) overrated:v.对…评价过高;高估;(overrate的过去分词和过去式)
|
I've spent a whole lot of my life trying to be myself and at the same time fit in. |
我一生中花了很多时间, 想做自己, 同时融入主流。 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
Just be who you are. |
就做你自己。 |
If you are surrounding yourself with the right people, they will not only get it, they will appreciate it. |
如果你身边有对的人, 他们不仅会懂, 他们还会欣赏。 |
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
|
Wednesday: |
星期三: |
Embrace your inner child . |
接受你的童心。 |
Embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括; inner child:n.内在小孩;内心自我;
|
Sometimes people tell me that I look like I'm playing dress-up , or that I remind them of their seven year-old. |
有时候有人会告诉我, 说我像玩打扮, 或者我让他们想起了他们七岁的孩子。 |
dress-up:v.打扮,装饰;穿上盛装; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
I like to smile and say, "Thank you." |
我喜欢对他们微笑, 并且说“谢谢。” |
Thursday: |
星期四: |
Confidence is key. |
自信心是关键。 |
Confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
If you think you look good in something, you almost certainly do. |
如果你觉得你穿什么好看, 那你一定会穿得好看。 |
And if you don't think you look good in something, you're also probably right. |
如果你不觉得你穿什么好看, 那你差不多也肯定是对的。 |
I grew up with a mom who taught me this day-in and day-out. |
从小到大,我妈妈每天都告诉我这个, |
But it wasn't until I turned 30 that I really got what this meant. |
但是我到了三十岁, 才知道这是什么意思。 |
And I'm going to break it down for you for just a second. |
而且我会为你很快的分析一下。 |
If you believe you're a beautiful person inside and out, there is no look that you can't pull off. |
如果你相信你是个美丽的人, 里里外外, 没有什么衣服是你不能穿的好看的。 |
So there is no excuse for any of us here in this audience. |
所以在座的各位都没有任何理由。 |
We should be able to rock anything we want to rock. |
我们可以想穿什么就穿什么。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Friday: A universal truth -- five words for you: |
星期五: 一个普遍的真理 -- 几个字给你: |
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的;
|
Gold sequins go with everything. |
金亮片百搭。 |
sequins:n.亮片(sequin的复数形式);
|
And finally , Saturday: |
最后,星期六: |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Developing your own unique personal style is a really great way to tell the world something about you without having to say a word. |
发展独特的个人风格。 真的是个很好的方式告诉世界你是谁, 一字都不必说。 |
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
|
It's been proven to me time and time again as people have walked up to me this week simply because of what I'm wearing. |
它一次又一次对我证明 这周内当人们一次次走向我, 只是因为我穿了什么。 |
time and time again:一次次;一次又一次;多次;不断地;
|
And we've had great conversations. |
我们进行很愉快的谈话。 |
So obviously this is not all going to fit back in my tiny suitcase. |
当然这衣服都不会挤进 我的小旅行箱。 |
So before I go home to Brooklyn, |
所以在我回布鲁克林之前, |
I'm going to donate everything back. |
我会把一切都捐回。 |
donate:v.赠送;献(血);捐献(器官);
|
Because the lesson I'm trying to learn myself this week is that it's okay to let go. |
因为这个星期我在教自己 放手是可以的。 |
I don't need to get emotionally attached to these things, because around the corner, there is always going to be another crazy, colorful, shiny outfit just waiting for me, if I put a little love in my heart and look. |
我不需要对东西眷恋, 因为在下一个角落, 永远会有 又一套疯狂的,色彩鲜艳 闪闪发光的衣服 在等我, 只要我带着爱去寻找。 |
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
|
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |