返回首页

JeremyGilley_2011G-_一天的和平_

I was basically concerned about what was going on in the world. 我基本上比较关心世界上所发生的事情。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
I couldn't understand the starvation , the destruction , the killing of innocent people. 我不明白 那些饥饿、破坏 以及对无辜人们的杀戮
starvation:n.饿死;挨饿;绝食; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁; innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
Making sense of those things is a very difficult thing to do. 搞清楚这些 真是一件很难的事情
And when I was 12, I became an actor. 12岁的时候,我成为了一个演员。
I was bottom of the class. I haven't got any qualifications . 我处于社会的最底层,没有任何资历。
qualifications:n.资格证书;任职资格;职位要求;限定性条件(qualification的复数形式);
I was told I was dyslexic . 别人说我有诵读困难症。
dyslexic:adj.诵读困难的;n.诵读困难者;
In fact, I have got qualifications. 事实上,我也是有证书的。
I got a D in pottery , which was the one thing that I did get -- which was useful, obviously. 我在制作陶器上拿到了“D”,这的确是我得到的一个证书。 显然,这是有用的。
pottery:n.陶器;陶器厂;陶器制造术;
And so concern is where all this comes from. 所以焦虑 是所有这些的来源。
And then, being an actor, I was doing these different kinds of things. 作为一个演员,我一直在做着这些不同的事情。
And I felt the content of the work that I was involved in really wasn't cutting it, that there surely had to be more. 我觉得我参与的这些工作 并没有让这种焦虑减少,而且我会越来越焦虑。
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
And at that point, I read a book by Frank Barnaby, this wonderful nuclear physicist , and he said that media had a responsibility, that all sectors of society had a responsibility to try and progress things and move things forward. 在那个时候,我读了弗兰克·巴纳的一本书。 他是一个伟大的核物理学家。 他认为媒体有责任、 社会的各个部门都有责任 去尝试并推动事情的发展。
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄; nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; physicist:n.物理学家;物理学研究者; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; sectors:n.部门; v.把…划成扇形;
And that fascinated me, because I'd been messing around with a camera most of my life. 这使我着迷, 因为我大部分时间都一直拿着摄像机到处闲混。
messing:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;(mess的现在分词)
And then I thought, well maybe I could do something. 于是我想,或许我可以做点什么。
Maybe I could become a filmmaker . 没准我可以成为一个电影制片人。
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者;
Maybe I can use the form of film constructively to in some way make a difference . 没准我可以积极地使用电影的形式 来对某一方面做出改变。
constructively:adv.建设性地; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
Maybe there's a little change I can get involved in. 或许有一些我可以参与的变革。
So I started thinking about peace, and I was obviously, as I said to you, very much moved by these images , trying to make sense of that. 于是我开始思考和平, 就像我跟你们所说的,我显然 被这些图片深深感动了, 并试着去找出它们的意义。
as I said:正如我所说的 images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) make sense of:搞清…的意思;
Could I go and speak to older and wiser people who would tell me how they made sense of the things that are going on? 我能去问一些年纪更大或者更明智的人 他们会告诉我他们如何搞明白 正在发生的这些事情么?
Because it's obviously incredibly frightening . 这显然是非常可怕的
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词)
But I realized that, having been messing around with structure as an actor, that a series of soundbites in itself wasn't enough, that there needed to be a mountain to climb, there needed to be a journey that I had to take. 但是, 作为一个演员,跟着摄影组四处闲混, 我明白一系列简短的采访本身根本不够, 而是需要一座山来供攀登, 需要一段我必须踏上的旅程。
structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And if I took that journey, no matter whether it failed or succeeded, it would be completely irrelevant . 如果我踏上了那段旅程, 不管它是失败还是成功,都完全无所谓了。
irrelevant:adj.不相干的;不切题的;
The point was that I would have something to hook the questions of -- is humankind fundamentally evil ? 关键是我可以有资本 提出这个问题——人们本质上是邪恶的么?
hook:n.钩;挂钩;鱼钩;钓钩;v.挂住;箍住;钓(鱼);打曲线球; humankind:n.人类(总称); fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸;
Is the destruction of the world inevitable ? Should I have children? 世界的毁灭是不可避免的?我应该有孩子么?
inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
Is that a responsible thing to do? Etc., etc. 那是一个关乎责任的事情么?等等。
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
So I was thinking about peace, and then I was thinking, well where's the starting point for peace? 所以我思考和平的问题, 然后我想,和平的起点在哪里呢?
starting point:n.出发点;基础;
And that was when I had the idea. 就在那时我有了这个想法,
There was no starting point for peace. 和平没有起点。
There was no day of global unity . 没有全球团结的一天。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; unity:n.团结;一致;联合;个体;
There was no day of intercultural cooperation . 没有跨文化合作的一天。
intercultural:adj.不同文化间的; cooperation:n.合作;配合;
There was no day when humanity came together, separate in all of those things and just shared it together -- that we're in this together, and that if we united and we interculturally cooperated , then that might be the key to humanity's survival . 没有一天人类可以聚到一起, 远离饥饿、破坏等所有的那些事情, 仅仅分享这一天, 我们在一起的这一天, 如果我们团结起来,并且不同文化合作起来, 或许就是人类生存的钥匙。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; united:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) cooperated:v.合作;协作;协助;配合;(cooperate的过去式和过去分词) survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
That might shift the level of consciousness around the fundamental issues that humanity faces -- if we did it just for a day. 或许这能改变人类面对基本问题时 产生觉悟的层次 只需我们这样做一天。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
So obviously we didn't have any money. 很明显我们没有钱,
I was living at my mom's place. 我住在我妈妈家里,
And we started writing letters to everybody. 我们开始给每个人写信,
You very quickly work out what is it you've got to do to fathom that out. 你很快就能想出你需要做的事情 并将它搞明白。
fathom:vt.看穿;彻底了解;测量…的深度;n.英寻(测量水深的长度单位);
How do you create a day voted by every single head of state in the world to create the first ever Ceasefire Nonviolence Day, the 21st of September? 你如何创造一个由世界各国首脑投票选出的一天? 创造出史上第一个无战火、无暴力的一天, 9月21日?
head of state:n.国家元首; Ceasefire:n.停火; Nonviolence:n.非暴力;非暴力事件;
And I wanted it to be the 21st of September because it was my granddad's favorite number. 我把这一天定在9月21日, 是因为这是我爷爷最喜欢的数字。
He was a prisoner of war . 他曾是战争的俘虏,
prisoner of war:n.战俘;俘虏;
He saw the bomb go off at Nagasaki. 他看到原子弹在长崎爆炸。
It poisoned his blood. He died when I was 11. 毒气污染了他的血液。他在我11岁的时候去世了。
So he was like my hero. 他就像我的英雄。
And the reason why 21 was the number: 700 men left, 23 came back, two died on the boat and 21 hit the ground. 至于说为什么选21这个数字, 当时他们700个人去参加战争,23个回来了, 两个死在了船上,21个着陆了。
And that's why we wanted it to be the 21st of September as the date. 这就是为什么我们想把9月21日做为这一天。
So we began this journey, and we launched it in 1999. 于是我们开始这个旅程, 我们在1999年发起这个活动,
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
And we wrote to heads of state, their ambassadors , 写信给各国首脑、大使们、
ambassadors:n.大使(ambassador的复数形式);
Nobel peace laureates , NGOs, faiths, various organizations -- literally wrote to everybody. 诺贝尔和平奖获得者、非政府组织、宗教机构、 各种各样的机构——几乎给所有人都写过了。
laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
And very quickly, some letters started coming back. 很快,一些信件得到了回复。
And we started to build this case. 于是我们开始建立这个项目。
And I remember the first letter. 我记得第一封信。
One of the first letters was from the Dalai Lama . 第一批信中有一封是来自达赖喇嘛。
Dalai Lama:n.达赖喇嘛(西藏佛教领袖,从前为西藏统治者);
And of course we didn't have the money; we were playing guitars and getting the money for the stamps that we were sending out all of [this mail]. 当然我们没有钱,我们弹吉他 来赚钱以买到寄出这些信件需要的邮票钱。
A letter came through from the Dalai Lama saying, "This is an amazing thing. Come and see me. 达赖喇嘛的回信说道, “这是一个有趣的事情,来见我。
I'd like to talk to you about the first ever day of peace." 我想跟你聊聊有史以来的第一个和平的一天。”
And we didn't have money for the flight. 但是我们没有钱买机票。
And I rang Sir Bob Ayling, who was CEO of BA at the time, and said, " Mate , we've got this invitation . 于是我给鲍勃·艾林爵士打电话,他那时是英国航空公司的总经理, 我跟他说,“朋友,我们收到这个邀请,
Mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对; invitation:n.邀请,引诱
Could you give me a flight? Because we're going to go see him." 你能给我们提供机票么?因为我们要去见他。”
And of course, we went and saw him and it was amazing. 当然,后来我们见到了达赖喇嘛,的确很有趣。
And then Dr. Oscar Arias came forward. 然后奥斯卡·阿里亚斯主动跟我们联系。
And actually, let me go back to that slide, because when we launched it in 1999 -- this idea to create the first ever day of ceasefire and non-violence -- we invited thousands of people. 实际上,让我先回到那张幻灯片, 当我们在1999年发起这个活动—— 创造史上第一个无战火、无暴力的一天的时候, 我们邀请了成千上万的人。
non-violence:非暴力政策;
Well not thousands -- hundreds of people, lots of people -- all the press, because we were going to try to create the first ever World Peace Day, a peace day. 嗯不是成千上万——成百上千的人,许多人—— 所有的媒体,因为我们将尝试去创造 史上第一个世界和平日,一个和平的一天。
And we invited everybody, and no press showed up. 我们邀请了所有人, 但是没有任何媒体到场。
There were 114 people there -- they were mostly my friends and family. 只有114个人出现,他们大部分都是我的朋友和家人。
And that was kind of like the launch of this thing. 这件事情的发起大概就是这样。
But it didn't matter because we were documenting, and that was the thing. 但是这没有关系,因为我们在记录,这才是关键。
For me, it was really about the process . 对我来说,真正重要的是过程,
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
It wasn't about the end result . 而不是最后的结果。
end result:n.最终结果;
And that's the beautiful thing about the camera. 这就是摄像机的魅力所在。
They used to say the pen is mightier than the sword . I think the camera is. 人们通常说笔比剑更有分量。我想摄像机也是。
the pen is mightier than the sword:笔利于剑;笔锋利于剑;笔能杀人;
And just staying in the moment where it was a beautiful thing and really empowering actually. 还是说到摄像机很有魅力, 并且的确很强大。
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词)
So anyway, we began the journey. 无论如何,我们开始这个旅程了,
And here you see people like Mary Robinson, I went to see in Geneva. 这里你可以看到玛丽·鲁滨逊这样的人,我当时去日内瓦看她。
I'm cutting my hair, it's getting short and long, because every time I saw Kofi Annan, 我打算去剪剪我的头发,它变得长短不一。 因为每次我看到科菲·安南,
I was so worried that he thought I was a hippie that I cut it. 我都担心他会认为我是一个嬉皮士,所以我把它剪了。
hippie:n.嬉皮士;嬉皮模样的年青人;adj.嬉皮的;
And that was what was going on. 那就是我当时在做的事情。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah, I'm not worried about it now. 恩,所以我现在不用担心头发了。
So Mary Robinson, she said to me, "This is an idea whose time has come. This must be created." 说到玛丽·鲁滨逊, 她跟我说,“这个想法的时机已经成熟了,它必须被实现。”
Kofi Annan said, "This will be beneficial to my troops on the ground." 科菲·安南说,“这将对我的地面部队很有帮助。”
beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的;
The OAU at the time, led by Salim Ahmed Salim, said, "I must get the African countries involved." 那时的非洲统一组织由萨利姆,艾哈迈德·萨利姆领导, 他说,“我必须让非洲国家参与进来。”
Dr. Oscar Arias, Nobel peace laureate, president now of Costa Rica, said, "I'll do everything that I can." 奥斯卡·阿里亚斯博士,诺贝尔和平奖获得者, 现在是哥斯达黎加的总统。 他说,“我将做我可以做的一切。”
Costa:n.[解剖]肋骨;叶脉;[昆]前缘脉;
So I went and saw Amr Moussa at the League of Arab States. 所以我去见到了阿拉伯联盟秘书长穆萨,
League:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟;
I met Mandela at the Arusha peace talks. 我在阿鲁沙的和平谈判中见到了曼德拉,
And so on and so on and so on -- while I was building the case to prove whether this idea would make sense. 等等,等等...... 同时我也一直在创立这个项目, 来判断这个想法 是否有意义。
And then we were listening to the people. We were documenting everywhere. 我们一直在听那些人讲各种各样的故事。我们到处记录。
76 countries in the last 12 years, I've visited. 过去12年我参观了76个国家。
And I've always spoken to women and children wherever I've gone. 无论我去哪里,我都跟当地的妇女和儿童聊天,
I've recorded 44,000 young people. 我已经采访了了44,000位年轻人,
I've recorded about 900 hours of their thoughts. 记录了900小时关于他们的想法的视频。
I'm really clear about how young people feel when you talk to them about this idea of having a starting point for their actions for a more peaceful world through their poetry , their art, their literature , their music, their sport, whatever it might be. 我真的非常了解 当你和他们谈到这个想法, 为他们建立更加和平的世界提供起点,这些年轻人是怎么想的 通过他们的诗歌、艺术、文学、 他们的音乐、运动,或者无论其他什么。
poetry:n.诗;诗意,诗情;诗歌艺术; literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
And we were listening to everybody. 我们听取每个人的观点
And it was an incredibly thing, working with the U.N. 这的确是一个不可思议的事情,与联合国合作
and working with NGOs and building this case. 与非政府组织合作,建立这个项目。
I felt that I was presenting a case on behalf of the global community to try and create this day. 我觉得我在呈现一个项目, 代表全球社区 来尝试建立这一天。
on behalf of:代表;为了; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And the stronger the case and the more detailed it was, the better chance we had of creating this day. 这个项目越强大、越详细 我们创造这一天的机会就越多。
And it was this stuff , this, where I actually was in the beginning kind of thinking no matter what happened, it didn't actually matter. 就是这些,这些 实际上就是我最开始在的地方 我想无论发生什么,实际上都没关系
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: no matter what:不管什么…;
It didn't matter if it didn't create a day of peace. 如果它没有创造出和平的一天也没关系。
The fact is that, if I tried and it didn't work, then I could make a statement about how unwilling the global community is to unite -- until, it was in Somalia, picking up that young girl. 事实是,如果我尝试过但没有成功, 那我就可以做一个声明 关于这个全球社区是多么不想团结起来 直到我在索马里偶然遇到那个小女孩。
statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单; unwilling:adj.不愿意的;不情愿的;勉强的;
And this young child who'd taken about an inch and a half out of her leg with no antiseptic , and that young boy who was a child soldier, who told me he'd killed people -- he was about 12 -- these things made me realize that this was not a film that I could just stop. 这个小孩, 在没有消毒的情况下从她的腿上取出一个一英尺半的子弹 那个小男孩是一个童子军, 他告诉我他已经杀过人了——他大约12岁 这些事情使我意识到 这并不是一个我可以随时终止的电影
antiseptic:adj.防腐的,抗菌的;非常整洁的;n.防腐剂,抗菌剂;
And that actually, at that moment something happened to me, which obviously made me go, "I'm going to document. 事实上,那一刻我想到了一些事情 这显然使我开始行动,“我要开始做记录片。
If this is the only film I ever make, 如果这是我唯一制作的电影
I'm going to document until this becomes a reality." 我将继续记录直到这变成现实。“
Because we've got to stop, we've got to do something where we unite -- separate from all the politics and religion that, as a young person , is confusing me. 因为我们需要停下来,我们需要去做一些事 在我们团结的地方 远离所有的政治和宗教 作为一个年轻人,这使我困惑。
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) young person:n.(14至17岁的)青少年; confusing:adj.令人困惑; v.使糊涂; (confuse的现在分词)
I don't know how to get involved in that process. 我不知道如何参与到这个过程中来。
And then on the seventh of September, I was invited to New York. 之后在9月7日,我被邀请去纽约。
The Costa Rican government and the British government had put forward to the United Nations general assembly , with 54 co-sponsors , the idea of the first ever Ceasefire Nonviolence Day, as a fixed calendar date, the 21st of September, and it was unanimously adopted by every head of state in the world. 哥斯达黎加政府和英国政府 向联合国大会提出 和其他54个赞助方一起, 创造有史以来第一个无战火、无暴力日 并将9月21日作为一个固定的日期 这个提议被世界上各个国家首脑一致采纳通过。
put forward:v.提出;拿出;放出;推举出; United Nations:n.联合国; assembly:n.装配;集会,集合; co-sponsors:n.联席保荐人; calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中; unanimously:adv.全体一致地; adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词);
(Applause) (掌声)
Yeah, but there were hundreds of individuals obviously who made that a reality. 是的,但是显然成千上万的人使它成为了现实。
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
And thank you to all of them. 谢谢这些人们。
That was an incredible moment. 那的确是一个激动人心的时刻。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
I was at the top of the general assembly just looking down into it and seeing it happen. 我当时站在联合国大会的顶部,向下看到整个过程。
And as I mentioned, when it started, we were at the Globe, and there was no press. 正如我说过的,当它开始时, 我们在“全球”这个分会场,没有媒体在,
And now I was thinking, "Well, the press it really going to hear this story." 这时我在想,“媒体的确应该来听听这个故事”。
And suddenly, we started to institutionalize this day. 突然,我们开始让这天变成一项制度。
institutionalize:vt.使…制度化;
Kofi Annan invited me on the morning September the 11th. 科菲·安南邀请我在9月11日上午
to do a press conference . 来做一个媒体发布会。
press conference:记者招待会,新闻发布会;
And it was 8:00 AM when I stood there. 当我站在那里的时候是早晨8点
And I was waiting for him to come down, and I new that he was on his way. 我当时在等他下来,而且我知道他就在路上。
And obviously he never came down. The statement was never made. 但是显然他一直没有出现。那个声明也没有做成。
The world was never told there was a day of global ceasefire and nonviolence. 世界人民从来没有被告知有一个无战火、无暴力日。
And it was obviously a tragic moment for the thousands of people who lost their lives, there and then subsequently all over the world. 这显然是一个悲惨的时刻 对于那些成千上万失去生命的人来说 这些事情在全世界范围内时时刻刻都在发生,
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的; subsequently:adv.随后,其后;后来;
It never happened. 这个声明从来都没有被宣布。
And I remember thinking, "This is exactly why actually we have to work even harder. 我还记得当时想, “这正是为什么事实上 我们需要更加努力地工作。
And we have to make this day work. 我们需要让这一天成为现实。
It's been created; nobody knows. 它已经诞生了,但是没有人知道。
But we have to continue this journey, and we have to tell people, and we have to prove it can work." 但是我们还需要继续我们的旅程, 我们需要告诉人们, 我们需要证明这一天的创造是有效的。”
And I left New York freaked , but actually empowered . 我心情低落地离开了纽约 但实际上充满了力量
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式) empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式)
And I felt inspired by the possibilities that if it did, then maybe we wouldn't see things like that. 我有一种被鼓舞的感觉 想到有可能 这个声明一旦发布,我们或许就不能看到那样的事情了。
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
I remember putting that film out and going to cynics . 我记得放映那个电影,并且到愤世嫉俗者中去。
cynics:n.愤世嫉俗者;玩世不恭者;犬儒主义者(cynic的复数形式);
I was showing the film, and I remember being in Israel and getting it absolutely slaughtered by some guys having watched the film -- that it's just a day of peace, it doesn't mean anything. 我在展示这个电影 我还记得在以色列,它被完全破坏 被一些看过这个电影的人毁坏 这只是一天的和平,并不意味着任何事情。
Israel:n.以色列(亚洲国家);犹太人,以色列人; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; slaughtered:v.屠宰;宰杀;屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;(slaughter的过去分词和过去式)
It's not going to work; you're not going to stop the fighting in Afghanistan; the Taliban won't listen, etc., etc. 但是这没有用,你不可能阻止阿富汗的战争 塔利班是不会听的 ,等等。
Taliban:塔利班;
It's just symbolism . 这只是一种象征。
symbolism:n.象征,象征主义;符号论;记号;
And that was even worse than actually what had just happened in many ways, because it couldn't not work. 那甚至更糟糕 事实上在许多方面比真正发生的事情还糟糕。 因为它没有生效。
I'd spoken in Somalia, Burundi, Gaza, the West Bank, 我曾经在索马里,布隆迪,加沙,约旦河西岸,
India, Sri Lanka, Congo, wherever it was, and they'd all tell me, "If you can create a window of opportunity, we can move aid, we can vaccinate children. 印度,斯里兰卡,刚果做演讲,无论在哪, 他们都告诉我,“如果你能创造一扇机会的窗户, 我们可以提供帮助,我们可以为孩子们注射疫苗。
vaccinate:vi.接种疫苗;vt.给…注射疫苗;n.被接种牛痘者;
Children can lead their projects. 孩子们可以组织他们自己的项目,
They can unite. They can come together. If people would stop, lives will be saved." 他们可以团结起来,聚在一起。如果人们肯停下战争,就会挽救很多生命。“
That's what I'd heard. 这就是我听到的内容。
And I heard that from the people who really understood what conflict was about. 并且我是从那些真正懂得战争和冲突的意义的人们口中听到。
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
And so I went back to the United Nations. 然后我又回到了联合国。
I decided that I'd continue filming and make another movie. 我决定继续拍摄并制作另一部电影。
And I went back to the U.N. for another couple of years. 然后我又回到联合国待了两年。
We started moving around the corridors of the U.N. system, governments and NGOs, trying desperately to find somebody to come forward and have a go at it, see if we could make it possible. 我们开始在联合国系统的周围活动, 以及政府和非政府组织的周围, 拼命尝试去找到一些人 可以主动参与,并尝试一下 让我们看看这是否可能实现。
corridors:n.廊道,[建]走廊(corridor的复数形式); desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
And after lots and lots of meetings obviously, 经过不计其数的会议之后,显然
I'm delighted this man, Ahmad Fawzi, one of my heroes and mentors really, he managed to get UNICEF involved. 我很中意这个人,艾哈迈德·法齐, 事实上他是我心中的英雄和导师之一, 他成功使联合国儿童基金会参与到我们的活动中来
delighted:adj.高兴的; v.使高兴; (delight的过去分词和过去式) mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数);
And UNICEF, God bless them, they said, "Okay, we'll have a go." 说到联合国儿童基金会,上帝保佑他们,他们说,“好的,我们会参加”。
And then UNAMA became involved in Afghanistan . 然后联合国阿富汗援助团也在阿富汗参加了这个活动
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
It was historical . Could it work in Afghanistan with UNAMA and WHO and civil society, etc., etc., etc.? 这是历史性的,这能否在阿富汗成功 有了联合国阿富汗援助团和世界卫生组织 以及民间组织等等的帮助?
historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的;
And I was getting it all on film and I was recording it, and I was thinking, "This is it. This is the possibility of it maybe working. 我将这些都放在电影上,并且正在记录这些 我就想,“就是它,这就是它成功的可能性。”
But even if it doesn't, at least the door is open and there's a chance." 但是即使它不成功,至少打开了一扇门, 于是就有了机会
And so I went back to London, and I went and saw this chap , Jude Law. 所以我回到了伦敦, 去找这个小伙子,裘德洛
chap:n.小伙子;家伙;龟裂;v.使皲裂;皲裂;
And I saw him because he was an actor, I was an actor. 我去找他因为他是个演员,我也是个演员
I had a connection to him, because we needed to get to the press, we needed this attraction, we needed the media to be involved. 我跟他有某种联系 因为我们需要去找媒体,我们需要他的号召力 我们需要媒体参与进来
Because if we start pumping it up a bit maybe more people would listen and there'd be more -- when we got into certain areas, maybe there would be more people interested. 因为如果媒体开始做更多的宣传,就会有更多的人关注 然后又会有更多 当我们进入特定地区时 可能会有更多的人对这个感兴趣
pumping:v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;(pump的现在分词)
And maybe we'd be helped financially a little bit more, which had been desperately difficult. 而且没准我们会在经济上得到更多的帮助 我们的经济已经十分困难
financially:adv.财政上;金融上;
I won't go into that. 我将不会详细说这个
So Jude said, "Okay, I'll do some statements for you." 然后裘徳说,“好吧,我为你做一些宣传”。
statements:n.说明; v.(英国)对儿童进行特殊教育评估认定; (statement的第三人称单数和复数)
While I was filming these statements, he said to me, "Where are you going next?" 当我在录这些宣传视频时,他对我说,“你下一步要去哪?”
I said, "I'm going to go to Afghanistan." He said, "Really?" 我说,“我要去阿富汗”。他说,“真的么?”
And I could sort of see a little look in his eye of interest. 我可以从他眼中读到一丝兴趣。
So I said to him, "Do you want to come with me? 于是我跟他说,“你想跟我一起去么?”
It'd be really interesting if you came. 如果你要去的话一定很有意思。
It would help and bring attention. 这将会很有帮助,并且引起关注。
And that attention would help leverage the situation, as well as all of the other sides of it." 这种关注 会影响局势, 还有所有其他方面。
leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
I think there's a number of pillars to success. 我认为有很多方法可以成功,
pillars:n.柱子;柱状物;台柱(pillar的复数);v.用柱支持(pillar的第三人称单数);
One is you've got to have a great idea. 一个是你有一个伟大的想法。
The other is you've got to have a constituency , you've got to have finance , and you've got to be able to raise awareness . 另一个是你有一批拥护者,你有一些经济支持, 你还可以提高大家的意识
constituency:n.(选区的)选民;支持者;(一批)顾客; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
And actually I could never raise awareness by myself, no matter what I'd achieved. 事实上凭我自己绝对不能提高大众意识,不管我做成了什么。
So these guys were absolutely crucial . 所以像裘德洛这些人绝对是非常关键的。
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
So he said yes, and we found ourselves in Afghanistan. 然后他同意了。 于是我们到了阿富汗。
It was a really incredible thing that when we landed there, 当我们到达那里的时候,的确很有趣,
I was talking to various people, and they were saying to me, "You've got to get everybody involved here. 我跟不同的人说话,他们对我说, “你需要把这里的每个人都召集进来。
You can't just expect it to work. You have to get out and work." 你不能只想着让它自己生效,你必须走出去工作使之生效。
And we did, and we traveled around, and we spoke to elders, we spoke to doctors, we spoke to nurses, we held press conferences , we went out with soldiers, we sat down with ISAF, we sat down with NATO , we sat down with the U.K. government. 然后我们开始这样做,我们到处环游, 向老人演讲,向医生演讲,向护士演讲, 我们召开新闻发布会,跟战士一起出去 和驻阿富汗“国际安全援助部队”谈话,和北约谈话, 和英国政府谈话
conferences:n.会议(conference的复数形式); NATO:abbr.(=theNorthAtlanticTreatyOrganization)[组]北约;
I mean, we basically sat down with everybody -- in and out of schools with ministers of education, holding these press conferences, which of course, now were loaded with press, everybody was there. 我的意思是说,我们基本上和所有人都谈过了 和教育部长们在学校进进出出 并召开媒体发布会 当然,现在有媒体在场了,几乎每个人都在。
ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数)
There was an interest in what was going on. 大家对这个活动有了兴趣
This amazing woman, Fatima Magalani, was absolutely instrumental in what went on as she was the spokesperson for the resistance against the Russians. 这个不可思议的女人,法蒂玛·马格拉尼,对事情的进展有很大的帮助 因为她是对抗俄罗斯的发言人。
Fatima:n.法蒂玛(穆罕默德的女儿); instrumental:n.工具格;器乐曲;工具词;adj.起重要作用;用乐器演奏的;为乐器谱写的; spokesperson:n.发言人;代言人; resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力;
And her Afghan network was just absolutely everywhere. 她的阿富汗网络 几乎遍及各处。
And she was really crucial in getting the message in. 而且她对于收集信息也很关键。
And then we went home. We'd sort of done it. 然后我们就回家了,我们差不多做完这件事了。
We had to wait now and see what happened. 现在我们需要等待,然后看看会发生什么。
And I got home, and I remember one of the team bringing in a letter to me from the Taliban. 于是我回家了, 我还记得队里有个人给我带了一封信, 从塔利班。
And that letter basically said, "We'll observe this day. 那封信的大概内容是,“我们将遵守这天,
observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视;
We will observe this day. 我们将遵守这天。
We see it as a window of opportunity. 我们把这个视为机会之门,
And we will not engage . We're not going to engage ." 我们不会参与。我们不会去参与。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
And that meant that humanitarian workers wouldn't be kidnapped or killed. 这意味着人道主义工作人员 将不会被绑架或者杀戮。
humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者;
And then suddenly, I obviously knew at this point, there was a chance. 然后突然,我明显感到这个时机,是一个机会。
And days later, 1.6 million children were vaccinated against polio as a consequence of everybody stopping. 几天之后, 160万儿童接种了小儿麻痹疫苗 作为人人停止战争的结果。
vaccinated:v.给…接种疫苗;(vaccinate的过去分词和过去式) polio:n.小儿麻痹症(等于poliomyelitis);脊髓灰质炎; consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
(Applause) (掌声)
And like the general assembly, obviously the most wonderful, wonderful moment. 就像联合国大会, 显然这是最棒、最好的时刻。
And so then we wrapped the film up and we put it together because we had to go back. 然后我们收好胶卷然后把它们放在一起, 因为我们需要回去,
wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式)
We put it into Dari and Pashto. We put it in the local dialects . 我们把它翻译成达里语和普什图语。我们把它翻译成当地方言。
dialects:n.乡土语言,方言;
We went back to Afghanistan, because the next year was coming, and we wanted to support. 我们回到了阿富汗 应为明年要来了,我们想提供支持,
But more importantly, we wanted to go back, because these people in Afghanistan are the heroes. 但是更重要的是,我们想回去, 因为阿富汗的这些人是英雄
They were the people who believed in peace and the possibilities of it, etc., etc. -- and they made it real. 他们是那些相信和平的人, 并且相信这一天诞生的可能——而且他们将之变成现实。
And we wanted to go back and show them the film and say, "Look, you guys made this possible. And thank you very much." 我们想回去,把这个电影放给他们看, 然后说,“看,你们把这一天变成现实,非常感谢。”
And we gave the film over. 我们放映了这个电影,
Obviously it was shown, and it was amazing. 显然它很棒,
And then that year, that year, 2008, this ISAF statement from Kabul Afghanistan, September 17th: "General Stanley McChrystal, commander of international security assistance forces in Afghanistan, 然后那年,2008年, 9月17日我们收到了来自来自阿富汗喀布尔驻阿富汗“国际安全援助部队”的声明: “斯坦利·麦克里斯特尔将军, 驻阿富汗国际安全援助部队最高指挥官,
commander:n.指挥官;司令官;
announced today ISAF will not conduct offensive military operations on the 21st of September." 今天宣布国际安全援助部队将不会实行任何侵略性的军事行动 在9月21日。”
conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法; offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
They were saying they would stop. 他们说他们将会停止。
And then there was this other statement that came out from the Deptartment of Security and Safety saying that, in Afghanistan, because of this work, the violence was down by 70 percent. 然后又有这一份声明, 来自国家安全局, 声明说,在阿富汗, 因为这些努力, 暴力事件减少了70%。
70 percent reduction in violence on this day at least. 至少在这天暴力事件减少了70%。
reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
And that completely blew my mind almost more than anything. 这个完全让我震撼, 比任何事都更甚。
And I remember being stuck in New York, this time because of the volcano , which was obviously much less harmful. 我还记得上次滞留在纽约的时候,不过这次是因为火山, 显然这次更加无足轻重。
volcano:n.火山;
And I was there thinking about what was going on. 我当时在想事情会如何进展,
And I kept thinking about this 70 percent. 我一直在想70%这个数字,
70 percent reduction in violence -- in what everyone said was completely impossible and you couldn't do. 暴力事件减少70% 发生在每个人都说完全不可能的事情上, 你无法相信,
And that made me think that, if we can get 70 percent in Afghanistan, then surely we can get 70 percent reduction everywhere. 这使我想到,如果我们在阿富汗减少了70%的暴力事件, 那么我们毫无疑问可以在任何地方都达到这个数字。
We have to go for a global truce . 我们需要努力达到全球的休战,
truce:n.停战;休战;休战协定;vt.以休战结束;停止争执;vi.停战;
We have to utilize this day of ceasefire and nonviolence and go for a global truce, go for the largest recorded cessation of hostilities , both domestically and internationally , ever recorded. 我们需要利用这无战火、无暴力的一天, 然后争取达到全球停战, 争取有史以来规模最大的停战记录, 不仅在国内,而且在国际上,有记录以来。
utilize:v.利用;运用;使用;应用; cessation:n.停止;中止;中断; hostilities:n.战争;[心理]敌意(hostility的复数); domestically:adv.国内地;家庭式地;适合国内地; internationally:adv.国际性地;在国际间;
That's exactly what we must do. 这正是我们必须要做的事情。
And on the 21st of September this year, we're going to launch that campaign at the O2 Arena to go for that process, to try to create the largest recorded cessation of hostilities. 今年的9月21日, 我们将在千禧大棚子举办这个活动, 来争取这个过程 试着创造有史以来最大的停战记录。
Arena:n.舞台;竞技场;
And we will utilize all kinds of things -- have a dance and social media and visiting on Facebook and visit the website, sign the petition . 我们将用各种途径, 舞会,社会媒体, 以及facebook和我们的网站,签署请愿书,
petition:n.请愿;请愿书;祈求;[法]诉状;vi.请愿;请求;vt.请愿;请求;恳求;
And it's in the six official languages of the United Nations. 用联合国的六种官方语言来进行。
official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员;
And we'll globally link with government, inter-government, non-government, education, unions, sports. 我们在国际上将与各个政府、政府间组织、 以及非政府组织、教育组织、联盟、体育组织合作,
And you can see the education box there. 并且你在那可以看到教育专席,
We've got resources at the moment in 174 countries trying to get young people to be the driving force behind the vision of that global truce. 现在我们得到了174个国家的资源 努力让年轻人成为驱动力 来推动全球停战的事业。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
And obviously the life-saving is increased, the concepts help. 显然拯救生命的行动增加了,这些概念生效了。
life-saving:n.救生;adj.救生的;
Linking up with the Olympics -- 与奥林匹克合作,
I went and saw Seb Coe. I said, "London 2012 is about truce. 我去见了勒布·安科,我说:“伦敦2012奥运会应该与停战有关。
Ultimately , that's what it's about." 这是它最终的目标。
Ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
Why don't we all team up? Why don't we bring truce to life? 为什么我们不联合起来呢?为什么我们不把停战带到生活中来呢?
Why don't you support the process of the largest ever global truce? 为什么不支持有史以来最大的全球停战计划呢?
We'll make a new film about this process. 我们将为这个过程制作一个新的电影。
We'll utilize sport and football. 我们将利用运动和足球。
On the Day of Peace, there's thousands of football matches all played, from the favelas of Brazil to wherever it might be. 在那个和平的一天中,会有成千上万的足球比赛同时进行, 从巴西的贫民区到其他任何地方。
favelas:n.(巴西)贫民窟(favela的复数); Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
So, utilizing all of these ways to inspire individual action. 利用这些方式 来鼓励个人行动,
utilizing:v.利用(utilize的ing形式);
And ultimately, we have to try that. 最终,我们需要尝试这个,
We have to work together. 我们需要一起努力,
And when I stand here in front of all of you, and the people who will watch these things, 当我现在站在你们所有人, 以及正在看这些事情发生的人面前,
I'm excited, on behalf of everybody I've met, that there is a possibility that our world could unite, that we could come together as one, that we could lift the level of consciousness around the fundamental issues, brought about by individuals. 我非常高兴,代表我见到过的每个人, 来告诉你们世界团结是有可能的, 我们可以像一家人一起聚在一起, 我们可以在人类的基本问题上提高意识, 这些问题是由我们每个人带来的。
I was with Brahimi, Ambassador Brahimi. 我曾经见过卜拉希米,卜拉希米大使,
I think he's one of the most incredible men in relation to international politics -- in Afghanistan, in Iraq. 我认为他是与国际政治有关的, 很棒的人之一 ——在阿富汗,在伊拉克
He's an amazing man. 他是一个很棒的人,
And I sat with him a few weeks ago. 几周前我跟他坐了一阵,
And I said to him, "Mr. Brahimi, is this nuts, going for a global truce? 我跟他说,“卜拉希米先生,这个争取全球停战的想法疯狂么?
Is this possible? Is it really possible that we could do this?" 有可能么?我们真的可能做到么?”
He said, "It's absolutely possible." 他说,“这绝对是可能的。”
I said, "What would you do? 我说,“您打算做什么?
Would you go to governments and lobby and use the system?" 您会去政府和议会谈,然后实行这个制度么?”
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
He said, "No, I'd talk to the individuals." 他说,“不,我会跟每个人去谈。”
It's all about the individuals. 这是关于每个人的,
It's all about you and me. 这是关于你和我的。
It's all about partnerships . 这是关于合作,
partnerships:n.伙伴关系;合伙;(partnership的复数)
It's about your constituencies , it's about your businesses. 这是关于你的选举权,关于你自己的事。
constituencies:n.选区;赞助者(constituency的复数);
Because together, by working together, 因为只有一起,我们一起努力,
I seriously think we can start to change things. 我真的认为我们可以开始做出改变。
And there's a wonderful man sitting in this audience, and I don't know where he is, who said to me a few days ago -- because I did a little rehearsal -- and he said, "I've been thinking about this day and imagining it as a square with 365 squares, and one of them is white." 有一个伟大的人坐在观众席,我不知道他在哪里。 几天之前他跟我说了一些东西——因为我做了一点排练—— 他说,“我在想这天, 并把它想象成一个正方形, 有365个正方形。 其中一个是白色的。”
rehearsal:n.排演;预演;练习;训练;叙述;
And it then made me think about a glass of water, which is clear. 这使我想到了一杯水,很干净的水。
If you put one drop, one drop of something, in that water, it'll change it forever. 如果你滴入一滴别的东西, 把这杯水中滴入一滴其他任何东西 它将永远改变。
By working together, we can create peace one day. 通过一起努力,将来某天我们一定可以创造出和平。
Thank you TED. Thank you. 谢谢TED。谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thanks a lot. 非常感谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you very much. Thank you. 非常感谢。谢谢。