返回首页

JeremyForbes_2017S-_如何开启关于自杀的对谈_

In 2013, 2013 年,
I had a life-changing epiphany . 我体会到了一件改变我人生的顿悟。
life-changing:改变人生的; epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
I was a painter and decorator in Castlemaine, a small country town in central Victoria. 我当时是个油漆工和室内装潢师, 我住在维多利亚中部的 一个乡间小镇,卡索曼。
decorator:n.装饰者;室内装潢师;
I'd gone to see Pete, who was renowned for his workmanship with steel. 我去找彼得是因为 他的钢制工艺品非常闻名。
renowned:adj.著名的;闻名的;有名的;受尊敬的 workmanship:n.手艺,工艺;技巧;
I'd gone to his shed to get some steel edging for the garden. 我都会去他的庫房 买些钢制的花草修边刀具。
shed:v.摆脱;去除;蜕;落;n.工棚;简易房;剪羊毛棚;挤奶棚;
This day, with hindsight , which is a wonderful gift, 这天,事后我才知道, 是老天给我的礼物,
hindsight:n.后见之明;枪的照门;
Pete seemed happier than usual. 彼得这天看上去比平常开心。
Two weeks later, 两周后,
I was painting a house down the end of Pete's street when I heard the tragic news. 我在彼得住的那条街尾 油漆一间房子时, 听到了悲剧的消息。
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
Pete had suicided . 彼得自杀了。
suicided:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;vt.自杀;vi.自杀;
Pete, like myself, was a tradie, or a tradesman . 彼得和我一样, 是个做工仔人,或工匠。
tradesman:n.商人;(英)店主;零售商;手艺人;
We do like to shorten things in the Australian vernacular . 在澳洲我们都喜欢用行话来简称。
shorten:vt.缩短;减少;变短;vi.缩短;变短; vernacular:adj.本国的;地方的;用本地语写成的;n.本地话,方言;动植物的俗名;
A tradie. 做工仔人。
There was an expectation as a tradie. 在澳洲,大家对工人有个既定印象。
expectation:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;
You're expected to be stoic . 你会被认为是坚忍不拔的。
stoic:n.斯多葛学派哲学家; adj.坚忍的,苦修的;
You're expected to be strong, robust , macho . 你会被认为是强壮、 稳健、有男子气概的。
robust:adj.强健的;健康的;粗野的;粗鲁的; macho:n.男子汉;男子气概;adj.(贬)有男子汉气概的;
You're expected to be tough physically and silent in the face of adversity . 你会被认为有强悍的身体, 面对逆境时也不会跟别人说。
in the face of:面对; adversity:n.逆境;不幸;灾难;灾祸;
There is a pronounced ripple effect when someone suicides in your community . 当你的社区中有人自杀时, 会有一个明显的涟漪作用。
ripple effect:n.连锁反应; suicides:n.自杀;自毁;自杀者;(suicide的复数) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Pete's funeral was in July. It was winter. 彼得的葬礼办在七月。 当时是冬天。
funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的;
The mood was bleak and somber in the packed community hall. 现场气氛很阴冷、忧郁, 地点是在拥挤的社区厅堂。
mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛; bleak:adj.阴冷的;荒凉的,无遮蔽的;黯淡的,无希望的;冷酷的;单调的; somber:adj.忧郁的;昏暗的;严峻的;阴天的;
It was a grieving community who had no answers to Pete's suicide, no answers at all. 社区充满着哀悼的气氛, 关于彼得的自杀 大家都没有答案, 完全没有人知道怎么回事。
grieving:v.悲伤,悲痛,伤心;使悲伤;使伤心;(grieve的现在分词)
As I wandered around between the tradies and the community members, 当我在工人和 社区成员之间来回穿梭时,
I started hearing some tones of another underlying tragic level. 我开始听到一些声音, 那是另一种台面下的悲伤境界。
tones:n.声调;基本音色(tone的复数);v.调节音调(tone的第三人称单数); underlying:adj.根本的; v.构成…的基础; (underlie的现在分词)
I heard people talking in that community hall about the struggles other people were going through. 我听到大家在社区厅堂中的谈话, 谈论其他人正在经历的痛苦。
The essence of the conversations was contained in two words that I heard several times: 我听到的这些对话内容, 可以用这句话来浓缩概括:
essence:n.本质;实质;精髓;香精;
Who's next? 谁是下一个?
Who's next? 谁是下一个?
That was the epiphany. 那就是我说的顿悟。
That was the moment where I was standing in a community hall in a place where this Castlemaine community had given me such support for 20 years, this community had backed my work, I'd played footy there, 就在那一刻,我站在社区厅堂里, 在这个地方,这个卡索曼社区 在二十年间都一直 给予我很大的支持, 这个社区支助我的工作, 我在这个社区踢足球,
footy:adj.(英)无足轻重的;褴褛的;n.毫无价值的人或事物(等于footsie);
I'd done theater there, 我在这个社区拍过戏剧,
I was so grateful for what they'd given me. 我很感谢他们给我的一切。
But I was standing there in that space, and I was looking around that hall as well, and I could tell people in that hall who were struggling with alcohol , drugs, finance , gambling , domestic abuse , bullying and harassment . 但当我站在那个空间里, 环视着厅堂的四周, 我可以分辨得出在厅堂中的那些人, 哪些人正在努力对抗酒精、 毒品、财务问题、赌博、 家暴、霸凌以及骚扰。
alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; gambling:n.赌博;投机;v.赌博;打赌;(gamble的现在分词) domestic:n.佣人;家佣;家庭纠纷;家庭矛盾;adj.本国的;国内的;家用的;家庭的; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; bullying:n.仗势欺人者;横行霸道者;v.恐吓;伤害;胁迫;(bully的现在分词) harassment:n.骚扰;烦恼;
Yet because of my tradie culture and that ignorant attitude that we have in the tradie community, 然而,因为我的工人文化, 以及在工人社区中 我们的那种无知程度,
ignorant:adj.无知的;愚昧的; attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势;
I didn't feel confident at all. 让我完全没有信心。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
I didn't have the tools. I lacked the experience. 我没有方法。我缺乏经验。
I didn't know what to do, but I wanted to do something. 我不知道该做什么, 但我想要做点什么。
I left the wake. 我离开了灵堂。
I hugged a few tradie mates and said, "Please come and see me if you need to." 我拥抱了几位工人伙伴,并说: 「如果你有需要,请随时来找我。」
mates:n.朋友; v.交配;
But I didn't know what to say to them or what to tell them. 但我不知道该对他们说什么, 或该告诉他们什么。
I had no idea. 我没有头绪。
I got a phone call two weeks later from Catherine Pilgrim , my cofounder , wanting to do something for the family. 两周后,我接到我的共同创办人 凯瑟琳皮尔格林姆打来的电话, 她想要为这个家庭做点什么。
Pilgrim:n.朝圣者;漫游者;(美)最初的移民;vi.去朝圣;漫游; cofounder:n.共同创办人;
We talked for a while and I said, let's do something for the tradie community. 我们谈了一会儿,我说, 咱们来为工人社群做点什么。
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
We love our town, we're grateful, let's do something for the tradie community. 我们爱我们的小镇,我们很感恩, 咱们来为工人社群做点什么。
So we talked a bit more. 我们又多谈了些,我们能做什么?
What could we do?
An awareness-raising event. Awesome . 一个了解自杀意识的宣导活动。
awareness-raising:意识提升; Awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
We're talking about tradies. 我们谈起了工人。
How do you get tradies somewhere? 你要如何把工人聚在一起?
Can you get them to a hospital? No. 你要叫工人去医院吗?不行。
To a community health center? No. 去社区的健康中心?不行。
There's an ingrained culture of being a tradie. 工人有一种固执的文化。
ingrained:adj.根深蒂固的; v.使根深蒂固(ingrain的过去分词形式);
I thought, where is the perfect place we can get the tradies together where they feel socially included and they feel comfortable and they can share, they can open up and talk about mental health in the building industry? 我在想,哪一个地方最适合 把工人集合在一起, 让他们觉得在社会上能被包容 且很自在, 让他们可以分享、敞开心胸,
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者;
Where can we have an event? 我们能在哪里办活动?
A hardware store. 五金行(澳洲的五金行都很大间)。
hardware:n.计算机硬件;五金器具;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I thought it was very clever. (笑声)
More precisely, the timber yard of a hardware store. 更明确来说,是在 五金行堆置木材的地方。
timber yard:n.贮木场;木料场;
So there we were. OK, we've got the venue . 所以,就这样,我们有了地点。
venue:n.审判地;犯罪地点;发生地点;集合地点;
What else do we need? 我们还需要什么?
What else do tradies love? 工人还爱什么?
Food. 食物。
I know, we all do, but tradies love food. 我知道,我们都是,但工人爱食物。
Tradies especially , and I'm a tradie myself, we love egg and bacon rolls. 工人特别爱食物,我自己也是工人, 我们爱吃蛋和培根卷。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; bacon:n.咸肉;腌肉;熏猪肉;
So we thought we'd supply the tradies with egg and bacon rolls, and there was the slogan : save your bacon. 所以,我们觉得我们应该 供应蛋和培根卷给工人, 于是标语就出来了: 救救你的培根。
slogan:n.口号;标语;
It's a bit corny , but it sort of works. 是有点老套,但还算有效果。
corny:adj.谷类的;粗野的;陈腐的;乡下味的;
And we also came up with a logo . 我们还想出了一个标志。
logo:n.标志;
'"Hope Assistance Local Tradies." 「希望援助当地工人(HALT)」。
Keep in mind , " HALT ," our charity , had no money to begin, nothing, not a single cent. 别忘了,我们的慈善机构 「HALT」一开始并没有钱, 完全没有,一毛也没有。
Keep in mind:记住; HALT:v.停止;立定;踌躇,犹豫;n.停止;立定;休息; charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
We had conversations. 我们有的是对谈。
This is a community issue . It starts in community. 这是个社区议题,从社区开始。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
So we went around to the butcher , we went around to the baker , there was no candlestick maker, there was an egg place and there was some chocolate, there was coffee, there was fruit, but we went around and said, "Hey, we're doing this awareness-raising event. 所以我们开始去找屠夫, 去找面包师傅, 没有做蜡烛的人, 有摆蛋的地方,也有一些巧克力, 有咖啡、有水果, 但我们四处游走并说: 「嘿,我们要办一个宣导活动。
butcher:n.屠夫;肉贩;肉店;肉铺;v.屠杀;杀戮;屠宰;宰杀;adj."butch"的比较级; baker:n.面包(糕饼)师傅;面包店老板; candlestick:n.蜡烛台(或架);
Do you want to contribute ? Because we haven't got any money." 你想要做点贡献吗? 因为我们没有钱。」
contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献;
Of course, nearly every person we initiated the conversation with knew someone that had anxiety , depression or thoughts of suicide or had suicided. 当然,几乎我们去交谈的每个人 都认识某个有焦虑、忧郁, 或自杀念头的人, 或已自杀的人。
initiated:v.开始;发起;创始;使了解;传授;吸收;(initiate的过去式和过去分词) anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
There was that unity, that whole of community approach . 用这种共识、 全社区参与的方式进行募款。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
So we thought, that's great, we've got some food. 我们在想,太棒了, 所以,我们准备了一些食物。
What else do we need? 我们还需要什么?
We need the support services there. 在那里我们也会需要支援服务。
A lot of tradies, and a lot of men in general , don't necessarily know where to go and get help. 很多工人,一般来说,有很多男性 不见得知道要去哪里求助。
in general:总之,通常;一般而言; necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
I myself was one of them, and this is what I talk about at the HALT events, that four years ago when I founded HALT, 我自己就是其中一个, 这就是我在 HALT 活动上讲的主题, 四年前,当我成立 HALT 时,
I didn't know I could go to the doctor about my mental health and get a mental health plan. 我不知道,如果有心理健康问题 可以去找医生, 并参与心理健康计画。
I didn't know about community health. 我也没听过社区健康。
I certainly didn't know about Lifeline , and I've called Lifeline three times, and they've certainly potentially saved my life. 我当然不知道有生命线, 后来我自己打过三次生命线, 他们肯定可能救了我的命。
Lifeline:n.生命线;救生索; potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地;
I had to learn all these things. 我得要学习所有这些事。
Tradies need to know them. 工人需要了解它们。
We provided bags, bags of information, and I had quite a few tradies say to me in the first year, "Aw, this is a load of you-know-what ," 我们提供很多袋子, 里面装了很多资讯, 第一年,有几个工人对我说: 「啊,这里面有好多的『你知道吗』。」
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式) quite a few:不少,相当多; you-know-what:你知道的;不想直说的事;
but those tradies I know still have those bags in their Ute or in their shed. 但我认识的那些工人仍然 把那些袋子放在他们的货车中, 或他们的庫房中。
On November 10, 2013, we had our event, and interestingly enough, when I talk about a whole of community approach, that was our first event in Castlemaine at Tonks Brothers, and there's a whole of community there. 2013 年 11 月 10 日, 我们办了活动, 很有趣的是,当我谈到 这个全社区参与的方式时, 那是我们的第一次活动, 办在卡索曼的 Tonks Brothers, 全社区的人都到了。
interestingly:adv.有趣地;
There's counselors , there's people who have gone through mental health. 有谘询师、 有曾经克服过心理健康的人。
counselors:n.辅导员;顾问(counselor的复数形式);
That first event set the scene. 第一场活动奠定了基础。
Since then, we've had more events. 之后,我们办了更多活动。
Interestingly enough, it's not only tradies that are affected by mental health or anxiety or depression or suicide. 很有趣的是,并不只有工人 受到心理健康、焦虑、 忧郁,或自杀的影响。
We started working with TAFEs. 我们开始和技职教育机构合作。
We started working in the farming industry, at councils , at secondary colleges. 我们开始在农会、 地方议会、中等学校举办。
councils:n.委员会(council的复数);理事会; secondary:adj.第二的;中等的;次要的;中级的;n.副手;代理人;
We did events for the partners of tradies, because often the tradies would not go home to their partners and say, "Guess what, we talked about mental health, and we're going to do this, this and this now." 我们为工人的伴侣办活动, 因为工人通常不会回家跟另一半说: 「你知道吗,我们在谈心理健康, 我们现在准备要做这个、 这个和这个。」
So we're doing events for the partners, who themselves may need help. 所以我们也针对伴侣来办活动, 她/他们本身可能也需要幫助。
TAFEs are very popular. (在澳洲)技职教育机构到处都有。
For me, it's really crucial to get to these young, vulnerable men and women. 对我来说,能接触到 这些年轻、弱势的男女很重要。
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
We've done events for men's sheds , so the high rate of suicide is really high for older men. 我们已经在男人庫房办了几场活动, 因为年长男性的自杀率真的很高。
sheds:n.棚屋; v.把…放在棚内;
We've done events for council depot workers and tradies. 我们也为地方议会仓庫的 劳工和工人办活动。
depot:n.仓库;停车场;航空站;vt.把…存放在储藏处;adj.药性持久的;
Interestingly enough, nearly every single event -- and we've actually done now, with very little funding , 150 events over four states. 有趣的是, 几乎每一场活动—— 目前为止,我们以极少的资金 在四大州办了超过 150 场的活动。
funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
So -- oh please, thank you. 所以——喔,真的没什么,谢谢你们。
(Applause) (掌声)
And invariably at every single HALT event at a hardware store, 不变的是,在每一场五金行 举办的 HALT 活动中,
invariably:adv.总是;不变地;一定地;
I have one tradie come up to me, at least one come up and tell me about his suicide attempt . 都会有工人来找我, 至少会有一位来找我, 并告诉我他曾尝试过自杀。
come up to:v.达到;等于; attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
They're not suicidal there and then, they've worked through it, but these men have never felt they could share their vulnerabilities . 后来没有自杀并渡过了难关, 但这些人从来没想到 他们也可以分享他们的脆弱。
suicidal:adj.自杀的,自杀性的;自我毁灭的;自取灭亡的; vulnerabilities:n.缺陷(vulnerability的复数形式);脆弱点;
They've never felt they can talk about their suicide attempt, but the HALT events, where there's no expectations for them to talk, makes them feel comfortable to start talking. 他们从来不知道他们也可以谈论 曾经尝试着自杀的经验, 但在 HALT 的活动中可以, 大家对你要谈论什么 并没有既定的期望, 让他们觉得自在,愿意开始谈。
expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
And it's not just they talk to me and tell me their story, they actually now say, "We feel comfortable enough to talk with other men." 他们不只告诉我他们的故事而已, 他们现在还会说: 「我们跟别人谈这事感到自在。」
I've had men stand up and say, "I've never mentioned before that I've had depression, but I have, and if anyone else here wants to come and speak to me, 我已经能让他们站起来说: 「我未曾提过我有忧郁症,但我有, 如果这里的任何人想要来和我谈,
I'm hear to talk to you." 我很乐意和你谈。」
It's very empowering and cathartic to do that. 这么做,非常激励人心 且有净化作用。
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词) cathartic:adj.导泻的;通便的;n.[药]泻药;[药]通便药;
We need a whole-of-community approach. 我们需要一种全社区参与的方式。
We give the tradies bags of information from local and national support services. 我们已在当地和全国的支援服务单位 送出袋装的工人资讯。
It's one of thing to tell a tradie or someone at one of these events, "You should go here, here and here," 告诉工人或参与者 「你该去这里、这里和这里」 是一回事,
but we need the whole of community to wrap around the idea of suicide prevention . 但我们需要整个社区 专心致志于预防自杀的想法上。
wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾; prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍;
We need those services, and suicide doesn't discriminate at all. 我们需要那些服务, 且自杀是完全没有差别待遇的。
discriminate:vt.歧视;区别;辨别;vi.区别;辨别;
It's not a 9-to-5 thing. 它并非朝九晚五的东西。
We need to do events before 9am, which most of our brekkies are, and after 5 PM. 我们需要在早上九点前的 早餐时间办活动, 以及晚上五点之后。
That's what we need to do. It's a whole-of-community approach. 那是我们得要去做的。 这是个全社区参与的方式。
We need to get into businesses. 我们必须进入業界。
We need to get into sporting clubs, community clubs. 我们得要进入运动俱乐部, 社区俱乐部。
We need to get in there and train people to understand about mental health. 我们需要进入那些地方,
Here's some sobering statistics just to give you an idea. 以下这些统计数据, 能让各位有些概念。
sobering:adj.令人警醒的;使人冷静的;v.(使)变得持重,变得冷静;(sober的现在分词) statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
In 2016, in Australia, 2,866 suicides, very close to twice the road toll . 2016 年, 在澳洲,有 2866 件自杀案件, 大约是公路收费站的两倍。
toll:n.伤亡人数; v.(缓慢而有规律地)敲(钟); (尤指)鸣(丧钟);
Globally, 800,000 a year suicides in the world, one every 40 seconds. 全球,每年全世界有 80 万件 自杀案件, 每 40 秒就有一人自杀。
We need a whole-of-community approach. 我们需要一种全社区参与的方式。
We need to feel comfortable in opening up the conversations. 我们需要让人感到自在、 愿意敞开心胸的对谈。
opening up:n.解禁;开放;供开发;启用;
Men I know find it really difficult to open up conversations. 我认识的男人觉得要敞开心胸 来进行对谈是很困难的。
They certainly do. 他们肯定如此觉得。
If you're going to open up conversations, I tell the guys, you need to find a comfortable place to open up and have a conversation, whether it's at the pub, it's going for a walk, it's after footy. 我告诉这些家伙, 如果你打算要开启一段对谈, 你要找到一个舒服 且放得开的地方来做对谈, 不论是酒吧、是去散个步, 或是踢完足球后。
Find that really comfortable place to have the conversation. 找到一个舒服的地方来进行对谈。
Part of the ability to have that conversation is to understand what to say. 进行对谈所需要的能力之一 就是要了解要说什么。
We've all heard about, "Are you OK?" 我们都听过「你还好吗?」
And I've seen it. I've done this. 我见过。我做过。
'"Are you OK?" "Yes." "Are you OK?" "Yes." 「你还好吗?」「还好。」 「你还好吗?」「还好。」
'"Are you OK?" "Yes." "Are you OK?" "No." 「你还好吗?」「还好。」 「你还好吗?」「不好。」
What do I say now? 我现在要说什么?
What do I say? 我要说什么?
We need to equip every single person with the ability to come forth and be able to have that conversation. 我们得要让每一个人都有 能力能够站出来, 做那样的对谈。
We need to be able to listen. 我们需要能够倾听。
I don't know who out there is a good listener. 我不知道外头有谁是好的倾听者。
I'm working on my listening abilities, but it's an art form to listen and not judge. 我在努力改善我自己的倾听能力, 但倾听却不评断,可说是一种艺术。
Don't make fun. If someone's coming to talk to you about mental illness and anxiety and depression and thoughts of suicide, we need to respect that. 别开玩笑。如果有人 来找你谈关于心理问题、 焦虑、忧郁,及自杀想法的话题, 我们要表现出尊重。
They want to trust us that we're going to hold that in tight and not tell everyone. 他们信任我们会保守秘密, 不会告诉每个人。
We need to do that. 我们得要做到那一点。
So we need to have conversations. We need to listen. 所以,我们得要进行对谈。 我们得要倾听。
And we need to start reducing the stigma associated with mental health. 我们得要开始减少 和心理健康相关的污名。
stigma:n.[植]柱头;耻辱;污名;烙印;特征; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
Companies are now starting to have mental health days. 现在有些公司开始有 所谓的心理健康日。
What a great idea. 这点子多棒啊。
It's not just physical sick days, it's mental health days. 不只是身体生病日,是心理健康日。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
Things are changing. We can add to that change. 改变在发生,我们可以协助改变。
I'm a life preserver . 我是位生命保护者。
life preserver:n.救生用具;
I think we can all be life preservers . 我想,我们都能成为生命保护者。
preservers:n.保护者,保护人;保护剂,防腐剂;储藏柜;
The pain of regret is far greater than the pain of hard work. 后悔所带来的痛苦 远大于辛苦的痛苦。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)