返回首页

JenniferVail_2019S-_摩擦学——以及它对我们生活意想不到的影响_-

I have to admit that it's a lot of fun when people ask me what I do for my job, because I tell them I literally rub things together. 当人们问我做什么工作时, 我得承认答案很有趣。 因为我告诉他们, 我就是拿物品相互摩擦。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: rub:n.擦;抹;搓;揉;v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互磨擦;
This sounds ridiculous , just rubbing things together. 只是拿东西相互摩擦, 听起来很荒唐。
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的; rubbing:v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互摩擦;摩擦;(rub的现在分词)
But it has a technical name: tribology . 但是它有一个技术别称: 摩擦学。
technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; tribology:n.摩损学;
T-r-i-b-o-l-o-g-y, from the ancient Greek word "tribos," T-r-i-b-o-l-o-g-y, 源自古希腊语:“tribos”,
which means "to rub." 意思是“摩擦”。
It's a funny-sounding word you've probably never heard before, but I promise you, discovering it changes your experience with the physical world. 你可能从来没听过 这个有些好笑的词, 但是我向你保证, 探索它,将会改变 你对物质世界的体验。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
Tribology has given me amazing projects. 摩擦学给了我机会去 从事许多很棒的项目。
I've worked on materials that fly, and I've worked on dog food -- a combination that doesn't sound like one person has any business doing in the span of just a couple years, until you start to view the world through a tribological lens . 我研究过飞行器材料, 也研究过狗粮—— 除非你开始以摩擦学的 眼光来看这个世界, 不然这组合 一般人很难 在几年内同时接触到。
combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; span:n.持续时间; v.持续; lens:n.透镜,镜头;晶状体;隐形眼镜;汽车的灯玻璃;v.给…摄影;
And I think you'll be surprised at how significant a little bit of tribology can be in alleviating some very large problems. 我想你们会惊讶于 一点摩擦学在解决难题上的 重要性。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; alleviating:缓解;
Tribology is the study of friction , wear and lubrication . 摩擦学是研究摩擦力、 磨损和润滑的学科。
friction:n.摩擦,[力]摩擦力; lubrication:n.润滑;润滑作用;
You have all experienced all three of these things. 你们都体验过这三个东西。
Remember the last time you tried to move a heavy object across the floor, and you could just feel something resisting you? 还记得上一次你试着 在地板上移动重物的时候, 你能够感觉到 有东西在阻止你吗?
resisting:adj.稳定的;坚固的;v.抵抗;忍住(resist的现在分词);
That would be friction. 那就是摩擦力。
Friction is the force that opposes motion . 摩擦力是阻碍运动的力。
opposes:v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的第三人称单数) motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
Wear is the loss or transfer of material. 磨损则是指物质的损耗和转移。
transfer:n.转移;调任;调离;[体]转会球员;v.调任;调走;转学;转移;
It's the reason you have to replace your favorite shoes, because eventually the soles disappear . 再喜欢的鞋子,鞋底终究 会因磨损殆尽而被淘汰。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; soles:n.[服装]鞋底,脚底; v.给(鞋等)上底(sole的三单形式); disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
Lubricants are used to reduce friction and wear. 润滑剂能用来减少摩擦和磨损。
Lubricants:n.润滑油(lubricant的复数);[机]润滑剂;
They loosen up those stubborn rusted bolts that just otherwise will not budge . 它们能松开那些生锈卡死, 难以转动的螺栓,
loosen:v.松开;解开;松散;变松; stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的; rusted:adj.锈的;v.生锈(rust的过去式和过去分词);迟钝; bolts:n.[机]螺栓;[机]螺钉(bolt的复数);膨胀锚钉;角钢螺丝;毛边书; budge:vi.挪动; vt.使让步; n.羔羊皮;
But tribology is also defined as the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion. 但是摩擦学也被定义为 在相对运动中, 表面相互作用的学科。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词) relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物;
So, interacting surfaces in relative motion: there are a lot of those in the world. 所以,相对运动中的表面相互作用: 世界上有很多这样的例子。
As you're sitting there right now, are you wiggling your foot at all or maybe shifting around in your seat? 你现在坐在这里,是不是在活动你的双脚, 或者不断改变你的坐姿。
wiggling:v.(使)扭动,摆动,起伏;(wiggle的现在分词) shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词)
Because guess what? Tribology is happening. 因为摩擦学正在起作用。
Even the smallest shift in your seat involves two surfaces moving relative to each other. 即使你只是在椅子上稍稍挪动, 都涉及了两个相对运动的表面。
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数)
And your tribological interaction for the shift will be different than the person next to you. 并且你移动的摩擦作用 会与你身边的人有所不同。
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰; different than:不同于;
This is because the clothes you're wearing change the friction between you and the seat. 这是因为你所穿的衣服 改变了你和座椅之间的摩擦力。
If you're wearing silk, it's a little easier to squirm around in the seat than if you're wearing wool . 如果你穿了丝绸,会比你穿羊毛时 在座位上扭动更容易一些。
squirm:vi.蠕动,扭动;羞愧,不舒服;n.蠕动; wool:n.毛;毛线;毛料;毛织物;
That's because the friction is lower for silk. 这是因为丝绸的摩擦力小一些。
If you're moving your ankle or wiggling your ankle at all, did it make a popping sound ? 你在移动或者扭动脚踝的时候, 是不是有发出“咔咔”声?
popping sound:un.爆裂声;
You've had that, right? 你经历过的,对吧?
You get up, you move around , and some joint cracks or pops. 你起床,走动, 一些关节碰撞发声,
move around:v.走来走去;绕着…来回转; joint:n.关节; adj.共同的; v.连接,贴合; cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数)
Thank you for that sound, tribology. 这都是因为摩擦学。
That sound can come from the fluid that lubricates your joints just moving around. 这种声音可能是由于 润滑关节的 液体中的气泡
fluid:adj.流动的;流畅的;不固定的;n.流体;液体; lubricates:vi.润滑;涂油;起润滑剂作用;vt.使…润滑;给…加润滑油; joints:n.关节; v.接合,联合; (joint的第三人称单数和复数)
You're essentially releasing gas bubbles in that fluid. 被释放所导致的。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; releasing:n.释放;松释动作;脱扣释放;v.释放;排放;(release的现在分词); bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
That sound can also come from the tendons simply moving over each other. 这种声音也可以来自于 肌腱之间的相互移动,
tendons:n.肌腱,[解剖]腱;蹄筋(tendon的复数);
Pretty common in the ankle, so any of my fellow foot-wigglers out there may suddenly find themselves curious about the tribology of tendons. 在脚踝处很常见, 所以我那些喜欢 扭动脚踝的朋友, 会突然对肌腱之间的 摩擦学感到好奇。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
But how does one become a tribologist like me? 但我又是如何成为摩擦学家的呢?
It starts when you're a kid, of course. 当然,这得从小时候说起。
I was a ballerina growing up. 我跳着芭蕾舞长大。
ballerina:n.芭蕾舞女演员,芭蕾舞女;
I reached the level where I was dancing on my toes , or "en pointe ." 我可以踮着脚尖起舞, 法语里叫 “足尖舞 (en pointe)”。
toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数) pointe:n.(法)芭蕾舞足尖站立的姿式;
Now, when you're dancing en pointe, you're wearing those amazing shoes, but they can be slippery on the stage . 当你踮着脚尖跳舞时, 你会穿着那漂亮的舞鞋, 但是它们可能会 让你在舞台上打滑。
slippery:adj.滑的;狡猾的;不稳定的; on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
The last thing you want to do when you're trying to dance on your toes is to slip and fall. 当你跳舞的时候,最可怕的
So we had boxes of stuff called rosin . 所以我们会用一种叫松香的东西。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: rosin:n.松香;树脂;vt.用松香或树脂擦抹;
We would step into the rosin, put a light coating on our shoes. 我们踩进松香里, 舞鞋上就会有一层薄膜。
Rosin comes from tree sap and, in its powdered form, makes things less slippery. 松香来自于树液, 粉末状的松香可以防滑。
powdered:adj.变成粉末的;涂粉的;v.使成粉末(powder的过去分词);撒粉;搽粉;
You learned real fast as a dancer how much was the right amount to put on your shoes, because if you didn't put enough on, you were probably going to slip due to the low friction between your shoe and the stage. 作为一个舞者,你会很快知道 应该放多少松香在舞鞋上。 因为如果没有放够, 你很可能滑倒, 因为你的鞋子和舞台之间 没有足够的摩擦力。
Best case scenario , you're the clumsy ballerina on stage, but the worst case scenario would be an injury. 幸运的话, 你只是在舞台上 看起来手脚不协调, 但要是运气不好,你就会受伤。
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本; clumsy:adj.笨拙的;笨拙地;不得当的;不得当地;
Already, I was optimizing and manipulating friction. 那个时候,我已经在 优化和控制摩擦力了。
optimizing:n.[数]优化,最佳化;adj.最佳的;v.最佳化(optimize的现在分词); manipulating:v.(暗中)控制,操纵,影响;正骨;治疗脱臼;(manipulate的现在分词)
You see, I was destined to be a tribologist. 你们看,我注定 要成为一个摩擦学家。
destined:adj.注定的;命定的;去往…的;v.注定;(destine的过去式和过去分词)
(Laughter) (笑声)
But you were also a junior tribologist. 但是你们也是 初级的摩擦学家:
junior:n.青少年;职位较低者;adj.青少年的;地位低下的;
When you used crayons or colored pencils, you knew that the harder you pressed, the darker the color. 当你使用蜡笔和彩铅的时候, 你知道你用的力气越大, 颜色就会越深。
You also knew this meant you were going to have to sharpen that crayon or colored pencil more frequently , because it was wearing down faster. 你也知道这意味着 你要更加频繁地削笔, 因为它们会更快地磨光。
sharpen:vt.削尖;磨快;使敏捷;加重;vi.尖锐;变锋利; frequently:adv.频繁地,经常地;时常,屡次;
Now let's talk about those enticing shiny waxed floors that you just had to slide across. 现在让我们来谈谈 那些闪亮的打蜡地板, 人人都想在上面滑来滑去。
enticing:adj.诱人的;有吸引力的;v.诱使;引诱;(entice的现在分词) shiny:adj.闪亮的;光亮的;反光的;有光泽的; waxed:v.给…打蜡;用蜡除去…上的毛;(wax的过去分词和过去式)
You knew if you put on a pair of socks, you were going to get a really good slide across that floor. 大家都知道如果穿双袜子, 滑动起来更加容易。
Good luck trying to do that barefoot . 赤脚可就没那么轻松了。
barefoot:adj.赤脚的;adv.赤着脚地;
Master manipulators of friction. 多么高明的摩擦力操纵技巧。
manipulators:操纵器;
All kids are tribologists. 孩子们都是摩擦学家。
What about us as adults? 那么大人呢?
At some point today, you brushed your teeth. 各位今天都刷过牙了,
I hope. 但愿如此。
(Laughter) (笑声)
This is tribology in action. 这就是摩擦学的作用。
The toothpaste and toothbrush are working to remove or wear the plaque from your teeth. 牙膏和牙刷的作用 是清除或磨掉 你牙齿上的污渍。
toothpaste:n.牙膏; toothbrush:n.牙刷; plaque:n.匾;血小板;饰板;
For the record, my dad is a dentist. 郑重声明,我爸爸是牙医。
Never thought my career was going to circle back to the family business. 我从来没有想过 自己会追随他的脚步。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
But one day, we found ourselves speaking the same language when I was tasked with developing a test to investigate plaque removal . 但是有一天我们发现 我们说着相同的话, 当时我刚接受了 开发牙渍去除测试的任务。
investigate:v.调查;研究;审查; removal:n.去除;消除;清除;除去;
Sounded simple enough, until I started to look at it as a tribologist, and then it became incredibly complex . 听起来很简单, 直到我开始 以摩擦学家的角度看待它, 才发现它非常复杂。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
You have hard materials -- those would be your teeth -- soft materials like your gums , the toothpaste, the toothbrush. 其中涉及到坚硬的材料—— 这就是你的牙齿; 软的材料—— 就像你的牙龈,牙膏和牙刷;
gums:n.牙龈,树胶;牙床(gum复数形式);
There's lubrication -- the form of saliva and water -- the dynamics of the person doing the brushing and more. 润滑物——像是唾液和清水; 还有人们刷牙的动作,等等。
saliva:n.唾液;涎; dynamics:n.动力学,力学;
I promise if we put diamonds in your toothpaste, you're going to remove that plaque. 我保证如果我们在你的 牙膏里添加钻石, 牙渍便可以去除,
Probably going to remove your teeth as well. 很可能还会连你的牙齿一起磨掉。
So there's a fine balance to be had between wearing the plaque away and not damaging your teeth and gums. 所以需要一个去掉牙斑 又不伤害牙齿牙龈的 折衷方法。
We're brushing our teeth because we ate. 我们刷牙是因为我们要吃东西。
Eating is another routine thing we all do. 吃东西是我们另一个日常所需,
Seems simple enough. 看起来很简单,
But it's another field of tribology, and it's not so simple. 但它是摩擦学的另一个领域, 并没有那么容易。
You have the food, which will break and wear while you're eating, and that food is interacting with your teeth, your tongue, your saliva, your throat. 你吃东西的时候, 食物会被破坏和分解。 这些食物和你的牙齿, 舌头,唾液和喉咙 相互作用。
And all of those interactions are going to influence your experience of eating. 所有的这些作用都会 影响你的进食体验。
interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
I think you can all recall a moment where you tried something new and you just found yourself going, "Well, it tastes alright. 我想你们都会想起 尝试新事物的时刻, 你会发现自己在想: (咀嚼声) “味道还行,
recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令;
I really don't like that texture ." 但我真的不喜欢这种口感。”
texture:n.质地;纹理;结构;本质,实质;
Tribologists are looking at lubricity , the coefficient of friction, as ways to connect mouth feel and texture to what you're experiencing, so that if we're changing the formulations of what we're eating and drinking so the sugar content or fat content are different, how does that change mouth feel? 摩擦学家研究润滑和摩擦系数, 让你体验到的口感 和味道得以相辅相成, 所以当我们改变饮食配方, 不同的糖分含量或者脂肪含量, 口感会出现怎样的变化?
lubricity:n.光滑;淫荡;难捉摸;动摇; coefficient:n.[数]系数;率;协同因素;adj.合作的;共同作用的; formulations:构想,规划;[数]公式化;简洁陈述formulation的复数); content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
How do we quantify that? 我们将如何量化这个问题?
quantify:vt.量化;为…定量;确定数量;vi.量化;定量;
This is what tribologists are looking to solve. 这就是摩擦学家要解决的问题。
And while my colleagues were in one corner of this lab looking at the fat content of yogurt, 当我的同事 在实验室的一个角落 研究酸奶的糖分含量,
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
I was in another corner studying dog food. 我在另外一个角落 研究狗粮。
That lab smelled really good, by the way , let me tell you. 顺便说一句, 那个实验室闻起来很香。
by the way:顺便说一下;
We all brush our teeth on a regular basis. 我们都会有规律地刷牙,
How many of us brush our pets' teeth? 但有几个人会给宠物刷牙?
Animals as adults commonly get periodontal disease , so we really should be brushing their teeth, and more pet owners are starting to do this. 成年动物通常会患牙周病, 所以我们应该给它们刷牙。 越来越多的宠物主人 开始这样做了。
periodontal:adj.齿根膜的,牙周的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
I know my best friend is really great at brushing her cat's teeth, somehow . 我知道我的好朋友 很擅长给她的猫咪刷牙。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
Good luck trying to do that with my cat. 我希望我也能这样。
So what pet food suppliers are trying to do is incorporate plaque removal in things like treats . 宠物食品供应商正在尝试 研发能够去除牙斑的零食。
incorporate:vt.包含,吸收; vi.合并; adj.合并的; treats:v.以…态度对待; n.乐事;
If you have a dog, you may have observed that you give a dog a treat, and it magically seems to disappear after just one bite. 如果你有养狗, 你会发现喂狗吃零食, 它一口就能吞下去,很神奇。
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式); magically:adv.用魔法地;如魔法般地;
So the added challenge here is: 所以更大的挑战在于:
How do you remove plaque when you have one bite? 如何在一口吃掉大餐的 情况下去除牙渍。
I developed a benchtop test to study this problem, and to do so, I had to mimic the oral system of dogs: their teeth, plaque, saliva. 我开发了一个台式实验 来研究这个问题, 还模拟了狗的口腔: 包括它们的牙齿, 牙菌斑和唾液分布。
mimic:vt.模仿,摹拟;n.效颦者,模仿者;仿制品;小丑;adj.模仿的,模拟的;假装的; oral:adj.口头的; n.(尤指外语考试中的)口试; (大学里的)口试;
And I used friction and wear measurements to study the effectiveness of that treat on removing plaque. 我用通过测量摩擦力和磨损程度 来研究餐食对去除牙菌斑的效果。
measurements:n.测量值,尺寸(measurement的复数); effectiveness:n.效力;
If you're sitting there right now thinking about the last time you didn't brush your dog's teeth, you're very welcome. 如果各位还在纠结 上次没给狗刷牙, 不用客气。
But what's the big deal with tribology? 但是摩擦学到底有多重要呢?
Let me give you one more example. 再举一个例子,
No matter where you are right now, you got to this location somehow. 不管你现在在哪里, 你总有办法到达这里。
location:n.地方;地点;位置;定位
Maybe you walked or rode your bike, but for most people in this room, you probably came in a car. 有人走路或者骑车, 但是你们大多数人 应该是开车来的。
Just think about all the tribological systems in a car. 想想车里所有的摩擦系统。
You have your personal interactions with the car, the car's interactions with the road and everything under the hood and in the drivetrain . 你和车有相互作用, 车和马路之间也有, 以及引擎盖下和传动系统内的一切。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; drivetrain:n.动力传动系统;
Some routine maintenance is directly connected to tribology. 定期保养与摩擦学就息息相关,
maintenance:n.维护,维修;保持;生活费用; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
You know how many miles your tires are recommended for using before you replace them. 各位都知道轮胎大概跑 多少路就需要 检查更换,
recommended:v.推荐;举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;(recommend的过去分词和过去式)
You regularly check the treads on those tires. 你也会规律地检查车胎胎面。
regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的 treads:n.[建]踏板(tread的复数);v.踩(tread的单数第三人称);
You're actively monitoring the wear of your tires. 你其实就是在检查轮胎的磨损程度。
Tribology is the study of wear and friction, and with tires, friction can be the difference between a safe arrival and a car accident. 摩擦学研究的是磨损和摩擦力。 而对于轮胎,摩擦力 是旅途平安的关键。
This is because the friction between your tires and the road will influence your acceleration , your deceleration and your stopping distance. 因为轮胎和路面的摩擦力 影响着加速和减速, 以及刹车距离。
acceleration:n.加速,促进;[物]加速度; deceleration:n.减速;
As a driver, you instinctively already know how important friction is, because you know that when the roads are wet, they're more dangerous because they're slippery. 作为司机,你知道摩擦力的重要性。 因为你知道路面湿润时, 开车更危险,更容易打滑。
instinctively:adv.本能地;
This is because the water is reducing the friction between your tires and the road. 这是因为雨水降低了 轮胎和路面的摩擦力。
You may recall that friction is the force that opposes motion, so water reducing that force means it's now easier for you to move, hence it's more slippery when the roads are wet. 你们可能还记得, 摩擦力是阻碍运动的力, 所以雨水降低摩擦力 意味着移动更容易, 湿润的路面就会更滑。
hence:adv.因此;今后;
Something else to consider is that overcoming friction takes energy, so you're losing energy to friction. 另外还有一件事要考虑进去, 克服摩擦力需要能量, 所以摩擦会损耗能量。
overcoming:v.克服;解决;战胜;(overcome的现在分词)
This is one way your tires can influence your fuel efficiency . 这是轮胎影响燃油效率的一种方式。
efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效;
And, in fact, did you know that about one-third of the fuel that you put into your internal combustion engine vehicle will be spent overcoming friction? 你们知道,其实引擎中 三分之一的燃油都消耗在了 克服摩擦力上吗?
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; combustion:n.燃烧,氧化;骚动; vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
One-third. 三分之一。
Tribology research has helped us reduce friction and therefore increase fuel efficiency and reduce emissions . 对摩擦学的研究 能帮助我们减少摩擦力, 从而提高燃料效率,减少排放。
emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
Holmberg and Erdemir have actually done some great studies showing the impact tribology research can have on reducing our energy consumption . 霍尔姆伯格和埃尔德米尔 做了一些很棒的研究, 显示了摩擦学研究 对减少能源消耗的影响。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
And they found that, looking over the span of 20 years, we had the opportunity to reduce the energy consumption of passenger vehicles up to 60 percent. 他们发现在过去的 20 年里, 我们本有机会减少 高达 60% 的 车辆能源消耗。
passenger:n.旅客;乘客;白吃饭的人;闲散人员; vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
When you think about all the cars in the world, that's a lot of energy we can save. 想想世界上的所有车辆, 我们其实可以节约很多能源。
It's part of the nearly nine percent of our current global energy consumption that the authors identified tribology can help us save. 作者认为,摩擦学可以 帮助我们节约目前 近 9% 的全球能源消耗中的一部分。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词)
That's a significant amount of energy. 这是个庞大的数字。
So when you look at the numbers, tribology can do some amazing things. 只需要看看这些数据,就会发现 摩擦学多么了不起。
My colleagues have identified up to 20 quads of energy we can save across the US alone. 我的同事已经发现,单单在美国, 我们就可以节约 20 多夸特的能源。
quads:abbr.股四头肌(quadriceps); n.[印刷]空铅; v.用空铅填(等于quadrat,quad的第三人称单数形式);
To put this in perspective : one quad of energy is roughly equivalent to 180 million barrels of oil, and tribology can help us save 20 times that. 解释一下: 1 夸特大约相当于 1.8 亿桶石油。 而摩擦学可以帮助我们节省 相当于 20 倍这个数字的能量。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; barrels:n.机筒; v.把…装桶;
This is through new materials, new lubricants, novel component design, doing things like making wind turbines more efficient and reliable . 我们可以通过新的材料、 新的润滑剂, 以及新的组合设计, 来提高风力涡轮机的效率和可靠性。
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的; turbines:n.[动力]涡轮;[动力]涡轮机(turbine的复数);[动力]汽轮机; reliable:adj.可信赖的;可依靠的;真实可信的;可靠的;
This happened just by putting 31 people in a room who viewed the world through a tribology lens. 只需将 31 个人放到一间屋子里, 以摩擦学的角度 来观察这个世界。
Imagine the opportunities that will reveal themselves as more of us start to see tribology all around. 想象一下,随着越来越多的人 开始接触摩擦学, 这些机会将逐渐展现在我们面前,
reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
My favorite projects right now are in aerospace applications. 我现在最喜欢的项目 是航天应用,
aerospace:n.航空宇宙;[航]航空航天空间;
I love reducing wear and friction in these challenging environments. 尝试在充满挑战的环境里 减少损耗和摩擦。
I can make materials and parts that will reduce the friction in moving components and engines so that they have less force opposing their motion. 我可以制作能够减少 运动部件和引擎内部摩擦的 材料和零件, 以减少运动阻力。
components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数); opposing:adj.对立的; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的现在分词)
Less force to move means they require less power, so you can use a smaller actuator , which would weigh less, which saves fuel. 摩擦力减小, 意味着所需的能量也更少, 可以使用更小, 更轻, 也更节能的驱动器。
actuator:n.[自]执行机构;激励者;促动器;
I can also help make parts that last longer through lower wear. 我制作出的零件 因为磨损小也更加耐用。
This will reduce material waste and also means we're manufacturing the parts less frequently, so we're saving energy in manufacturing. 这减少了材料浪费, 也意味着我们 制造零件的频率会降低, 从而节省了生产过程中 所消耗的能源。
manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
I encourage you to start seeing tribology in the world around you and to think about how you would improve those interacting surfaces you experience. 我鼓励大家 关注身边的摩擦学, 并且考虑如何改善 自己遇到的相互作用面。
improve:v.改进;改善;
Even the smallest improvements really add up. 即使是最微小的改善, 也可能产生 积少成多的效果。
improvements:n.改善;改进;改善的事物;(improvement的复数)
Tribology may be a funny-sounding word, but it has a huge impact on our world. 摩擦学也许听起来滑稽, 但它对我们的世界 有着很大的影响。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)