返回首页

JasonBRosenthal_2018-_失去与哀悼的旅程_

There are three words that explain why I am here. 用九個字可以解釋 為什麼我會在這裡。
They are "Amy Krouse Rosenthal." 「艾米.克魯塞.羅森塔爾」。
At the end of Amy's life, hyped up on morphine and home in hospice , the "New York Times" published an article she wrote for the "Modern Love" column on March 3, 2017. 艾米的生命走到終點時, 她因為嗎啡而興奮, 在家中安寧療護, 《紐約時報》刊出了一篇她寫的文章, 刊在 2017 年 3 月 3 日的 《摩登情愛》專欄。
hyped:v.炒作(hype的过去分词);adj.兴奋的; morphine:n.[毒物][药]吗啡; hospice:n.收容所;旅客招待所;救济院; column:n.栏目,纵队;
It was read worldwide by over five million people. 全世界有超過五百萬人讀這個專欄。
worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
The piece was unbearably sad, ironically funny and brutally honest. 這篇文章讓人悲傷到無法自己, 卻又帶著諷刺的趣味, 和殘酷的誠實。
unbearably:adv.不堪忍受地;无法容忍地; ironically:adv.讽刺地;说反话地; brutally:adv.残忍地;野蛮地;兽性地;
While it was certainly about our life together, the focus of the piece was me. 雖然這篇文章絕對是 在寫我們一起的生活, 但焦點是在我身上。
It was called, "You May Want to Marry My Husband." 文章主題叫做 「你可能會想要嫁給我先生」。
It was a creative play on a personal ad for me. 那是個為我做的個人廣告,很有創意。
creative:adj.创造性的; personal ad:n.(尤指交友或寻性伴侣的)私人广告;
Amy quite literally left an empty space for me to fill with another love story. 艾米真的留了一個空間給我, 讓我填入另一個愛情故事。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
Amy was my wife for half my life. 我的人生有一半的時間, 艾米都是我的太太。
She was my partner in raising three wonderful, now grown children, and really, she was my girl, you know? 我們一起養大了三個美好的孩子, 他們現在都已長大, 而且,說真的,她是我的女孩。
We had so much in common. 我們有好多共同點。
We loved the same art, the same documentaries, the same music. 我們愛同樣的藝術、 同樣的紀錄片、同樣的音樂。
Music was a huge part of our life together. 在我們一起的生活中, 音樂佔了很大一部分。
And we shared the same values. 我們還有相同的價值觀。
We were in love, and our love grew stronger up until her last day. 我們愛著彼此, 我們的愛不斷成長茁壯, 直到她的最後一天。
Amy was a prolific author. 艾米是位多產的作家。
prolific:adj.多产的;丰富的;
In addition to two groundbreaking memoirs , she published over 30 children's books. 除了兩本開創性的自傳之外, 她還出版了超過三十本童書。
In addition to:除…之外; groundbreaking:adj.开创性的;创新的;革新的 memoirs:n.回忆录;
Posthumously , the book she wrote with our daughter Paris, called "Dear Girl," 在她過世後,她和我們的女兒 帕里絲一起寫的書 《親愛的女孩》,
Posthumously:adv.于死后,于身后;于著作者死后出版地;
reached the number one position on the "New York Times" bestseller list. 爬到《紐約時報》 暢銷書排行榜的第一名。
bestseller:n.畅销书;畅销书作者;畅销商品(等于bestseller);
She was a self-described tiny filmmaker . 她自稱是位小電影工作者。
self-described:adj.自我描述的; filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者;
She was 5'1" and her films were not that long. 她只有五呎一吋, 且她的電影也沒那麼長。
(Laughter) (笑聲)
Her films exemplified her natural ability to gather people together. 她的電影就是很好的例子, 呈現她天生善於把人聚集在一起能力。
exemplified:v.举例说明;例证;例示;(exemplify的过去式和过去分词)
She was also a terrific public speaker, talking with children and adults of all ages all over the world. 她也是位很出色的公開演說家, 演說對象包括兒童 及各種年齡的成人, 且到世界各地演說。
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的;
Now, my story of grief is only unique in the sense of it being rather public. 只有一點讓我的悲慟故事很獨特, 那點就是:它是公開的。
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
However, the grieving process itself was not my story alone. 然而,我的故事不只是哀悼的過程。
grieving:v.悲伤,悲痛,伤心;使悲伤;使伤心;(grieve的现在分词) process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
Amy gave me permission to move forward, and I'm so grateful for that. 艾米允許我向前走下去, 我對此心懷感激。
Now, just a little over a year into my new life, 進入我的新生活大約一年多之後,
I've learned a few things. 我學到了幾件事。
I'm here to share with you part of the process of moving forward through and with grief. 我來這裡和各位分享的, 是我帶著悲慟 向前穿過悲慟的過程。
But before I do that, I think it would be important to talk a little bit about the end of life, because it forms how I have been emotionally since then. 但在我分享之前,我認為必須要 稍微談談臨終, 因為它造成了我之後情緒上的狀況。
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地;
Death is such a taboo subject, right? 死亡是個禁忌的話題,對吧?
taboo:n.禁忌;禁止;adj.禁忌的;忌讳的;vt.禁忌;禁止;
Amy ate her last meal on January 9, 2017. 艾米在 2017 年 1 月 9 日 吃完了她的最後一餐。
She somehow lived an additional two months without solid food. 不知怎麼,她又多活了兩個月, 沒有吃固態食物。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; additional:adj.附加的,额外的;
Her doctors told us we could do hospice at home or in the hospital. 她的醫生告訴我們, 我們能讓她在家做臨終安寧, 或在醫院也可以。
They did not tell us that Amy would shrink to half her body weight, that she would never lay with her husband again, and that walking upstairs to our bedroom would soon feel like running a marathon. 他們沒有告訴我們, 艾米的體重只剩下一半, 且她永遠無法再和 她的丈夫同床共眠, 且走上樓到我們的臥房 很快就變得像跑馬拉松一樣。
shrink:v.收缩;减少;退缩;畏缩;n.精神病学家;心理学家;
Home hospice does have an aura of being a beautiful environment to die in. 在家安寧,能讓她 在美麗的環境中離開人世。
aura:n.光环;气氛;(中风等的)预兆;气味;
How great that you don't have the sounds of machines beeping and going on and off all the time, no disruptions for mandatory drug administration, home with your family to die. 身邊沒有機器一直嗶嗶叫、 開開關關,這樣有多好? 也不用因為強制用藥而被打斷, 能在家裡離開人世, 有家人陪伴在身邊。
beeping:v.发出哔哔声;(使汽车喇叭等)发出嘟嘟声;(beep的现在分词) disruptions:破坏,毁坏;分裂,瓦解(disruption的复数); mandatory:adj.强制的;托管的;命令的;n.受托者(等于mandatary);
We did our best to make those weeks as meaningful as we could. 我們盡力而為,
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
We talked often about death. 我們常常會談死亡。
Everybody knows it's going to happen to them, like, for sure, but being able to talk openly about it was liberating . 大家都知道,每個人都一定會死, 但能開放地談它, 讓人覺得很解放。
liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词)
We talked about subjects like parenting. 我們談的主題包括教養子女。
I asked Amy how I could be the best parent possible to our children in her absence . 我問艾米,當她不在了以後, 我要如何為孩子們扮演最好的爸爸?
absence:n.没有;缺乏;缺席;不注意;
In those conversations, she gave me confidence by stressing what a great relationship I had with each one of them, and that I can do it. 在那些對談中,她給我信心, 強調我和我們的每個孩子 都有很棒的關係, 強調我能做到。
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
I know there will be many times where I wish she and I can make decisions together. 我知道將來會有許多時刻, 我會希望她能和我一起做決定。
We were always so in sync . 我們過去總是同頻的。
sync:n.同步,同时;vi.同时发生;vt.使同步;
May I be so audacious as to suggest that you have these conversations now, when healthy. 我能不能大膽地建議各位 現在就進行這些談話, 趁還健康時。
audacious:adj.无畏的;鲁莽的;
Please don't wait. 請不要等。
As part of our hospice experience, we organized groups of visitors. 在我們的安寧過程中, 我們安排了訪客群。
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
How brave of Amy to receive them, even as she began her physical decline . 艾米十分勇敢地接待他們, 即使她的身體狀況已經越來越糟。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
We had a Krouse night, her parents and three siblings . 我們有個克魯塞之夜, 先和她的父母及三個手足。
siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
Friends and family were next. 接下來是朋友和家人。
Each told beautiful stories of Amy and of us. 每次都訴說了關於艾米 和關於我們的美好故事。
Amy made an immense impact on her loyal friends. 艾米對她忠誠的朋友 造成了很大的影響。
immense:adj.巨大的,广大的;无边无际的;非常好的; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; loyal:adj.忠诚的,忠心的;忠贞的;n.效忠的臣民;忠实信徒;
But home hospice is not so beautiful for the surviving family members. 但對於留下來的家人而言, 居家安寧並沒有那麼美好。
I want to get a little personal here and tell you that to this date, 在此我想跟各位說比較 個人化的事,那就是,至今,
I have memories of those final weeks that haunt me. 最後這幾週的記憶仍然揮之不去。
haunt:v.出没;作祟;n.栖息地;常去的地方;
I remember walking backwards to the bathroom, assisting Amy with each step. 我還記得我倒退著走進廁所, 協助艾米踏出每一步。
I felt so strong. 我感到很強壯。
I'm not such a big guy, but my arms looked and felt so healthy compared to Amy's frail body. 我的個頭不高大, 但和艾米虛弱的身體相比, 我的手臂看起來且感覺起來好健康。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) frail:adj.脆弱的;虚弱的;n.灯心草篓;少妇;少女;
And that body failed in our house. 那虛弱的身體, 在我們的家中衰竭了。
On March 13 of last year, my wife died of ovarian cancer in our bed. 去年 3 月 13 日, 我太太因為卵巢癌, 在我們的床上過世。
ovarian:adj.[解剖]卵巢的;子房的; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
I carried her lifeless body down our stairs, through our dining room and our living room to a waiting gurney to have her body cremated . 我扛著她沒有生命的身體, 走下我們的樓梯, 穿過我們的餐廳 和我們的客廳, 到在那等候著的推床上, 將她的屍體火化。
lifeless:adj.无生命的;死气沉沉的;无趣味的; dining room:n.餐厅; living room:n.客厅;起居室; gurney:n.(医院用来移动病人的)轮床; cremated:v.焚烧,火化(尸体);(尤指)火葬;(cremate的过去分词和过去式)
I will never get that image out of my head. 我腦中永遠會留有這個影像。
If you know someone who has been through the hospice experience, acknowledge that. 如果你認識一個 曾經經歷過臨終安寧的人, 請認可他。
Just say you heard this guy Jason talk about how tough it must be to have those memories and that you're there if they ever want to talk about it. 就說,你聽過這個叫傑森的傢伙, 談過留著那些記憶是多麼艱難的事, 如果他們想要找人談談, 可以隨時找你。
They may not want to talk, but it's nice to connect with someone living each day with those lasting images . 他們可能不會想談, 但能夠和每天都帶著那些持久記憶 過日子的人有所連結,是很好的。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
I know this sounds unbelievable , but I've never been asked that question. 我知道這聽起來難以置信, 但從來沒有人問過我那個問題。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
Amy's essay caused me to experience grief in a public way. 艾米的文章讓我 以公開的方式經驗這段悲慟。
Many of the readers who reached out to me wrote beautiful words of reflection . 有許多讀者向我伸出手, 他們用美麗的文字寫下他們的想法。
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思;
The scope of Amy's impact was deeper and richer than even us and her family knew. 艾米的影響力, 比我們和她的家人所知道的 還要更深、更豐富。
scope:n.能力; v.仔细看;
Some of the responses I received helped me with the intense grieving process because of their humor , like this email I received from a woman reader who read the article, declaring, "I will marry you when you are ready -- 我收到的一些回覆, 協助我度過這段強烈的哀悼過程, 因為他們的幽默, 就像我收到一位女性讀者的郵件, 她讀了那篇文章,宣稱: 「當你準備好之後,我會嫁給你──」
responses:n.回答,答复;反应;响应;(response的复数) intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就;
(Laughter) (笑聲)
'" provided you permanently stop drinking. 「前提是你要永遠停止飲酒。
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式) permanently:adv.永久地,长期不变地;
No other conditions. 沒有其他條件。
I promise to outlive you. 我保證會活得比你久。
outlive:v.比…活得长;比…经久;经受住;渡过…而存在;
Thank you very much." 非常謝謝你。」
Now, I do like a good tequila , but that really is not my issue . 我確實很喜歡好喝的龍舌蘭酒, 但我並沒有酗酒問題。
tequila:n.龙舌兰酒;蒸馏酒; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
Yet how could I say no to that proposal ? 但我要如何對那樣的求婚說不?
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
(Laughter) (笑聲)
I laughed through the tears when I read this note from a family friend: "I remember Shabbat dinners at your home and Amy teaching me how to make cornbread croutons . 當我讀到這段我們家人的朋友 寫的文字時,我是笑中帶淚的: 「我還記得在你們家吃的安息日晚餐, 艾米教我如何做玉米油炸麵包丁。
Shabbat:n.(犹太教)安息日(等于Shabbos,Shabbas); cornbread:n.玉米面包(等于cornbread); croutons:n.油炸面包丁;烤碎面包块;巴豆(crouton的复数形式);
Only Amy could find creativity in croutons." 只有艾米能夠在 油炸麵包丁中找到創意。」
(Laughter) (笑聲)
On July 27, just a few months after Amy's death, my dad died of complications related to a decades-long battle with Parkinson's disease. 7 月 27 日,艾米過世後幾個月, 我長期在和帕金森氏症對抗的父親, 也因為併發症而過世了。
I had to wonder: How much can the human condition handle ? 我不得不納悶, 一個人能夠承受多少?
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
What makes us capable of dealing with this intense loss and yet carry on? 是什麼讓我們有辦法處理 這麼強烈的失去, 且還能走下去?
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
Was this a test? 這是個試煉嗎?
Why my family and my amazing children? 為什麼選上我的家人 和我那麼棒的孩子?
Looking for answers, I regret to say, is a lifelong mission , but the key to my being able to persevere is Amy's expressed and very public edict that I must go on. 很遺憾,我得要說, 尋找這個答案是一生的任務。 但讓我能堅持下去的關鍵, 是艾米非常公開的公告, 要我一定要走下去。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; persevere:vi.坚持;不屈不挠;固执己见(在辩论中); expressed:v.表示;表达;显而易见;不言自明;(express的过去分词和过去式) edict:n.法令;布告;
Throughout this year, I have done just that. 今年,我就是在做這件事。
Throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
I have attempted to step out and seek the joy and the beauty that I know this life is capable of providing. 我嘗試著踏出去, 尋求我知道這個人生 能夠提供的喜悅和美麗。
attempted:adj.未遂的;v.努力;尝试;试图;(attempt的过去分词和过去式) seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
But here's the reality: those family gatherings , attending weddings and events honoring Amy, as loving as they are, have all been very difficult to endure . 但現實卻是: 那些家庭聚會、 出席婚禮,以及追思艾米的活動, 雖然都充滿了愛, 但對我來說都好難承受。
gatherings:n.聚会;集会;收集;采集;(gathering的复数) endure:v.忍受;忍耐;持续;持久;
People say I'm amazing. 大家都說我很了不起。
'"How do you handle yourself that way during those times?" 「你如何能用那樣的方式 來面對那些時刻?」
They say, "You do it with such grace ." 他們說:「你表現得非常優雅。」
grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美;
Well, guess what? 你猜怎樣?
I really am sad a lot of the time. 大部分的時候,我其實很傷心。
I often feel like I'm kind of a mess , and I know these feelings apply to other surviving spouses , children, parents and other family members. 我常覺得我自己一團糟, 我知道其他留下的遺眷 也都會有那些感受, 配偶、孩子、父母, 及其他家屬都會。
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺; apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; spouses:配偶;
In Japanese Zen, there is a term " Shoji ," 在日本的禪道中, 有個詞叫「shoji」,
Shoji:n.障子(本房屋用的纸糊木框,等于shojiscreen);
which translates as "birth death." 翻譯為「生死」。
There is no separation between life and death other than a thin line that connects the two. 生與死之間沒有阻隔, 只有一條很細的線連結兩者。
separation:n.分离;分开;分割;隔离;
Birth, or the joyous , wonderful, vital parts of life, and death, those things we want to get rid of, are said to be faced equally. 生,或是說人生中喜悅的、 美好的、充滿活力的部分, 以及死,我們想要擺脫的那些事物, 都要被平等面對。
joyous:adj.令人高兴的;充满欢乐的(等于joyful); vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的;
In this new life that I find myself in, 在我的新人生當中,
I am doing my best to embrace this concept as I move forward with grieving. 我帶著悲慟向前走時, 我盡力而為去擁抱這個概念。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
In the early months following Amy's death, though, 不過,在艾米剛過世的那幾個月,
I was sure that the feeling of despair would be ever-present , that it would be all-consuming . 我很確定絕望的感受會經常出現, 它會吞噬一切。
despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望; ever-present:adj.经常存在的;始终存在的; all-consuming:消耗一切的;
Soon I was fortunate to receive some promising advice. 沒多久,我很幸運, 收到了很棒的忠告。
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
Many members of the losing-a-spouse club reached out to me. 失去配偶俱樂部的許多成員 都向我伸出手。
One friend in particular who had also lost her life partner kept repeating, "Jason, you will find joy." 特別有一位朋友,她也失去了 人生的另一半,她不斷重覆: 「傑森,你將來會找到喜悅的。」
in particular:尤其,特别;
I didn't even know what she was talking about. 我當時甚至不知道她在說什麼。
How was that possible? 那怎麼有可能?
But because Amy gave me very public permission to also find happiness, 但因為艾米非常公開地允許我 去找到幸福,
I now have experienced joy from time to time . 我現在也偶爾會感受到喜悅了。
from time to time:不时,有时;
There it was, dancing the night away at an LCD Soundsystem concert, traveling with my brother and best friend or with a college buddy on a boys' trip to meet a group of great guys I never met before. 喜悅就這麼出現了,夜晚用 LCD 音響系統聽音樂會時跟著起舞, 和兄弟及好友旅行, 或和同事伙計來一趟男孩之旅, 去認識一群我從來沒有見過 但很棒的先生們。
buddy:n.伙伴,好朋友;密友;小男孩;v.做好朋友,交朋友;
From observing that my deck had sun beating down on it on a cold day, stepping out in it, laying there, the warmth consuming my body. 從觀察到在一個冷天 我的甲板上有陽光照射, 我開始走出去,躺在甲板上, 讓溫暖充滿我的身體。
observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词); deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒;
The joy comes from my three stunning children. 喜悅來自我那三位讓人驚奇的孩子。
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词)
There was my son Justin, texting me a picture of himself with an older gentleman with a massive , strong forearm and the caption, "I just met Popeye ," 比如我的兒子賈斯汀, 他傳給我一張他和一位 較年長的男士的照片, 那位男士的前臂非常強壯,他加註 「我剛遇到了大力水手卜派」,
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; forearm:n.前臂;v.预先武装;准备; Popeye:n.凸出的眼睛;
with a huge grin on his face. 他臉上是個露齒的大微笑。
grin:v.咧嘴笑;露齿而笑;咧着嘴笑;n.咧着嘴笑;露齿的笑;
(Laughter) (笑聲)
There was his brother Miles, walking to the train for his first day of work after graduating college, who stopped and looked back at me and asked, "What am I forgetting?" 還有他的兄弟邁爾斯,走向火車, 那是他大學畢業後第一天去工作, 他停下腳步,回頭看著我,問: 「我忘了什麼?」
I assured him right away , "You are 100 percent ready. You got this." 我馬上向他保證:「你 100% 準備好了。你沒問題的。」
assured:adj.确定的;自信的;n.被保险人;v.保证;确实;(assure的过去分词和过去式); right away:立刻;
And my daughter Paris, walking together through Battersea Park in London, the leaves piled high, the sun glistening in the early morning on our way to yoga . 還有我女兒帕里絲, 我和她一起散步穿過 倫敦的巴特西公園, 樹葉堆得很高, 我們一大清早去做瑜伽的路上, 陽光在閃耀著。
piled:v.堆放;叠放;放置;装入;拥挤;(pile的过去分词和过去式) glistening:adj.闪亮的;闪耀的;白花花的;v.反光,闪耀(glisten的现在分词形式); yoga:n.瑜珈(意为"结合",指修行);瑜珈术;联想可360°翻转的平板电脑;
I would add that beauty is also there to discover, and I mean beauty of the wabi-sabi variety but beauty nonetheless . 我想補充一下, 美麗也在那裡等著被發掘, 我指的是侘寂多樣性的美麗, (註:不完美的美學) 但也仍然是美麗。
variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; nonetheless:adv.尽管如此,但是;
On the one hand , when I see something in this category , I want to say, "Amy, did you see that? Did you hear that? 另一方面,當我看到 這類事物時,我想要說: 「艾米,你看到了嗎? 你聽到了嗎?
On the one hand:一方面; category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴;
It's too beautiful for you not to share with me." 這太美了,你不能不與我分享。」
On the other hand , 另一方面,
On the other hand:另一方面;
I now experience these moments in an entirely new way. 我現在以一種整體的新方式 來體驗那些時刻。
There was the beauty I found in music, like the moment in the newest Manchester Orchestra album, when the song "The Alien" 我在音樂中能找到美麗, 比如在曼徹斯特管絃搖滾樂團 最新的專輯中, 當「外星人」這首歌
Orchestra:n.管弦乐队;乐队演奏处;
seamlessly transitions into "The Sunshine ," 無縫地轉換到「陽光」的時候,
seamlessly:adv.无缝地; transitions:n.过渡,转变(transition的复数形式);转场效果;转换滤镜; Sunshine:n.阳光;日光;欢乐;幸福
or the haunting beauty of Luke Sital-Singh's "Killing Me," 或是像路克西塔爾辛的專輯 「要我的命」,有種難忘的美麗,
whose chorus reads, "And it's killing me that you're not here with me. 他的合唱團唱著: 「你不在這裡陪我,真是要我的命。
chorus:n.合唱队;齐声;歌舞队;v.合唱;异口同声地说;
I'm living happily, but I'm feeling guilty ." 我活得很快樂,但我覺得很罪惡。」
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
There is beauty in the simple moments that life has to offer, a way of seeing that world that was so much a part of Amy's DNA, like on my morning commute , 在人生中帶給我們的 那些簡單時刻裡,就有美麗, 把這個世界看成是 艾米 DNA 的一部分, 比如我早上通勤時,
commute:v.减刑;交换;通勤;代偿;n.通勤(口语);
looking at the sun reflecting off of Lake Michigan , or stopping and truly seeing how the light shines at different times of the day in the house we built together; 看著密西根湖上反映的太陽, 或是停下腳步真正去欣賞 一天不同時刻中,光是如何 照耀我們一同建造的房子;
reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词) Michigan:n.密歇根;美国密歇根州; at different times:在不同的时间;在不同的时代;
even after a Chicago storm, noticing the fresh buildup of snow throughout the neighborhood; or peeking into my daughter's room as she's practicing the bass guitar. 甚至在芝加哥暴風雨之後, 注意到在整個街坊中 雪是如何漸漸堆起; 或是窺視我女兒的房間, 偷看她練低音吉他。
buildup:n.增强;发展;形成;组合;树立名誉; peeking:v.窥视;偷看;微露出;探出;(peek的现在分词) bass:n.鲈鱼;男低音;低音部;椴树;adj.低音的;
Listen, I want to make it clear that I'm a very fortunate person. 我想說清楚一件事, 我是一個非常幸運的人。
I have the most amazing family that loves and supports me. 我有著最棒的家人, 他們愛我、支持我。
I have the resources for personal growth during my time of grief. 在我悲慟的過程中, 我有資源可以做個人成長。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
But whether it's a divorce , losing a job you worked so hard at or having a family member die suddenly or of a slow-moving and painful death, 但不論是離婚、 失去你很努力在維持的工作, 或有親人突然過世, 或以緩慢痛苦的方式離世,
divorce:n.离婚;分离;v.与某人离婚;使分离; slow-moving:adj.滞销的;动作缓慢的; painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
I would like to offer you what I was given: a blank of sheet of paper. 我都想要給予你 我所得到的: 一張白紙。
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
What will you do with your intentional empty space, with your fresh start? 當意識裡有個空白的空間, 你也會面對一個全新的開始, 那麼,你打算要做什麼?
intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的;
Thank you. 謝謝。
(Applause) (掌聲)