返回首页

JanineShepherd_2012X-_身碎人不碎_

Life is about opportunities, creating them and embracing them, and for me, that was the Olympic dream. 生命充满机遇, 是一个创造机遇、抓住机遇的过程,对我而言, 机遇就是我的奥运梦想。
embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词)
That's what defined me. That was my bliss . 奥运定义了我的人生。它就是我的幸福。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; bliss:n.幸福;极乐;
As a cross-country skier and member of the Australian ski team, headed towards the Winter Olympics, 作为一名越野滑雪运动员、澳大利亚滑雪队的一员, 我当时正在备战冬奥会。
cross-country:adj.越野的,横过田野的;横越全国的;n.越野赛跑; skier:n.滑雪的人;
I was on a training bike ride with my fellow teammates. 那天我骑着一辆训练用的自行车,
As we made our way up towards the spectacular Blue Mountains west of Sydney, it was the perfect autumn day: sunshine , the smell of eucalypt and a dream. 和队友们一起骑上蓝山, 蓝山位于悉尼的西边,非常壮观。 那是一个完美的秋日, 有阳光,有桉树的香气,还有梦想的力量。
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; sunshine:n.阳光;日光;欢乐;幸福 eucalypt:n.桉树;
Life was good. 生活很美好。
We'd been on our bikes for around five and half hours when we got to the part of the ride that I loved, and that was the hills, because I loved the hills. 我们大约骑了五个半小时, 终于骑到我最喜爱的一段雪道, 那是山上的一段雪道,因为我非常喜欢山。
And I got up off the seat of my bike, and I started pumping my legs, and as I sucked in the cold mountain air, 然后我从车座上站起来,开始使劲蹬腿, 我使劲吸着山间清冷的空气,
pumping:v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;(pump的现在分词) sucked:v.吸,吮;吸收;吞没;(suck的过去分词和过去式)
I could feel it burning my lungs, and I looked up to see the sun shining in my face. 我能感觉到肺部所受的刺激。然后我抬起头, 看阳光洒在我的脸上。
And then everything went black. 但突然间,世界变得漆黑一片。
Where was I? What was happening? 我在哪儿?这是怎么了?
My body was consumed by pain. 我的身体剧痛不已。
consumed:adj.沉迷…的; v.消耗,耗费; (consume的过去分词和过去式)
I'd been hit by a speeding utility truck with only 10 minutes to go on the bike ride. 我被一辆超速的公用载重汽车撞倒了, 而这离我要开始训练仅有十分钟不到。
utility:n.公用事业;实用;实用程序;adj.多用途的;多效用的;
I was airlifted from the scene of the accident by a rescue helicopter to a large spinal unit in Sydney. 我被救援直升机从事故现场 送到悉尼的一家大型脊椎医院,
airlifted:v.空运,空投(人员或物资);(airlift的过去式和过去分词) rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救; spinal:adj.脊髓的;脊柱的;针的;脊骨的;尖刺的;n.脊椎麻醉;
I had extensive and life-threatening injuries . 当时我伤得很重,危及生命,
extensive:adj.广泛的;大量的;广阔的; life-threatening:adj.威胁生命的; injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数)
I'd broken my neck and my back in six places. 我的颈椎和脊椎断了六处,
I broke five ribs on my left side. 左边的肋骨断了五根,
ribs:n.[解剖]肋骨;排骨(rib的复数);
I broke my right arm. I broke my collarbone . 右臂断了,锁骨断了,
collarbone:n.锁骨;
I broke some bones in my feet. 脚上也有一些骨头断了。
My whole right side was ripped open, filled with gravel . 我身体的右侧完全撕开,满是砂石,
gravel:n.碎石;砂砾;vt.用碎石铺;使船搁浅在沙滩上;使困惑;
My head was cut open across the front, lifted back, exposing the skull underneath . 我的头上有一道大伤口,皮肉向后翻起, 露出里面的头骨。
exposing:v.暴露;显露;揭露;揭穿;使面临;(expose的现在分词) skull:n.头盖骨,脑壳; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
I had head injures . I had internal injuries. 我的头部受了伤,也受了内伤,
injures:vt.伤害,损害; internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的;
I had massive blood loss. In fact, I lost about five liters of blood, which is all someone my size would actually hold. 另外还大量失血,大约有五升, 这基本上是我这种体型的人全部的血量。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; liters:n.(计量)公升(容量单位)(liter的复数)
By the time the helicopter arrived at Prince Henry Hospital in Sydney, my blood pressure was 40 over nothing. 当直升机把我送到悉尼亨利王子医院的时候, 我的血压只有40,低压基本为零。
blood pressure:n.[医]血压;
I was having a really bad day. (Laughter) 这一天过得真是糟透了。(笑声)
For over 10 days, I drifted between two dimensions . 在接下来的十天里,我一直游离于两种状态之间,
drifted:v.漂流;漂移;缓缓移动;缓慢行走;(drift的过去分词和过去式) dimensions:n.规模,大小;
I had an awareness of being in my body, but also being out of my body, somewhere else, watching from above as if it was happening to someone else. 有时候,我意识到我在自己的身体里, 但有时候,我会觉得灵魂漂移出去, 俯视着自己,好像在看一个不相干的人。
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
Why would I want to go back to a body that was so broken? 我怎么还会想要回到这样一个破碎不堪的躯体里?
But this voice kept calling me: "Come on, stay with me." 但是有一个声音一直在呼唤我:“来,别离开我。“
'"No. It's too hard." ”不,这太痛苦了。“
'"Come on. This is our opportunity." ”来吧,这是我们的一个机遇。“
'"No. That body is broken. It can no longer serve me." ”不,这个身体已经破损了,没有利用价值了。“
'"Come on. Stay with me. We can do it. We can do it together." ”来吧,和我在一起。我们能做到的,我们会一起做到。“
I was at a crossroads . 我到了一个十字路口。
crossroads:n.十字路口;交叉路口;聚会的中心地点(crossroad的复数形式);
I knew if I didn't return to my body, I'd have to leave this world forever. 我知道,如果我不回到我的身体里,就要永远离开这个世界。
It was the fight of my life. 这是一场生死搏斗。
After 10 days, I made the decision to return to my body, and the internal bleeding stopped. 过了十天,我做了一个决定,回到我的身体里, 我的内出血停止了。
bleeding:n.出血;渗色;adj.流血的;同情的;v.出血;渗出;(bleed的现在分词)
The next concern was whether I would walk again, because I was paralyzed from the waist down. 接下来我开始担心自己是否还能行走, 因为我腰部以下都瘫痪了。
concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事; paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词); waist:n.腰;腰部;(衣服的)腰部;有…腰身的;
They said to my parents, the neck break was a stable fracture , but the back was completely crushed . 他们告诉我的父母,我的颈椎有稳定性骨折, 但是脊椎整个儿完了。
stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房; fracture:n.(指事实)骨折;(指状态)断裂;破裂;v.(使)断裂;破裂;(使)分裂; crushed:v.压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的过去分词和过去式)
The vertebra at L1 was like you'd dropped a peanut , stepped on it, smashed it into thousands of pieces. 我的L1脊椎就像是掉在地上、 被人踩得粉碎的一颗花生。
vertebra:n.[解剖]椎骨;[解剖]脊椎; peanut:n.花生;微不足道的人;adj.微不足道的; smashed:adj.大醉;v.打碎;(使)猛烈撞击;(用力)撞开;(smash的过去分词和过去式)
They'd have to operate. 医生们只好给我做手术,
They went in. They put me on a beanbag . They cut me, literally cut me in half, I have a scar that wraps around my entire body. 他们把我放在豆袋支架上,然后把我切成两半, 真的是切成两半。我的手术伤疤 整整绕我身体一周。
beanbag:n.游戏用的装了豆子的小袋; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: wraps:n.外衣; v.包裹;
They picked as much broken bone as they could that had lodged in my spinal cord . 他们尽量取出嵌在我脊髓里的碎骨片, 尽量都取出来,
lodged:v.lodge的过去分词; spinal cord:n.脊髓;
They took out two of my broken ribs, and they rebuilt my back, 然后取了两块肋骨碎片,用来重建脊椎,
L1, they rebuilt it, they took out another broken rib, they fused T12, L1 and L2 together. 重建L1之后,医生又取了另一块肋骨碎片, 用来融合T12、L1和L2,
fused:adj.装有熔断器的;v.(使)融合,熔断(fuse的过去分词和过去式)
Then they stitched me up. They took an entire hour to stitch me up. 然后医生缝合了我的伤口,仅缝合就用了整整一个小时。
stitched:v.缝;缝补;缝合(伤口);(stitch的过去分词和过去式)
I woke up in intensive care , and the doctors were really excited that the operation had been a success because at that stage 我醒来的时候是在重症监护病房,医生们都很激动, 因为手术很成功,
intensive care:n.(医院里的)特别护理病房;重症监护;
I had a little bit of movement in one of my big toes , and I thought, "Great, because I'm going to the Olympics!" 当时我的一个大脚趾动了一下, 然后我想,“太好了,因为我是要去奥运会的!”
toes:n.脚趾;足尖部;有…脚趾的;v.用脚尖走;(toe的第三人称单数和复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I had no idea. That's the sort of thing that happens to someone else, not me, surely. 我完全没有概念。这种事情好像是与自己无关的, 通常发生在别人身上,而肯定不是我。
But then the doctor came over to me, and she said, "Janine, the operation was a success, and we've picked as much bone out of your spinal cord as we could, but the damage is permanent . 但是医生却俯身过来,说, “詹宁,手术很成功,我们已经尽全力 从你的脊髓里取出了碎骨片, 但是你的伤势是永久性的,
permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发;
The central nervous system nerves , there is no cure. 中枢神经系统的伤势无法完全复原。
central nervous system:n.中枢神经系统; nerves:n.神经;神经紧张;勇气;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神;(nerve的第三人称单数和复数)
You're what we call a partial paraplegic , and you'll have all of the injuries that go along with that. 你现在截瘫了, 并且会有相应的各种伤痛。
partial:adj.部分的;不完整的;片面的;有偏见的; paraplegic:n.下身麻痹患者;adj.截瘫的; go along with:赞同;陪…一起去;
You have no feeling from the waist down, and at most, you might get 10- or 20-percent return. 你从腰部以下都没有知觉, 最多会有百分之十到二十的恢复。
You'll have internal injuries for the rest of your life. 你终生都会有内伤,
You'll have to use a catheter for the rest of your life. 将要一直使用导尿管,
catheter:n.[医]导管;导尿管;尿液管;
And if you walk again, it will be with calipers and a walking frame ." 如果你还能行走,也得使用卡夹和助行器。
calipers:n.卡钳; v.用测径规测量; frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
And then she said, "Janine, you'll have to rethink everything you do in your life, because you're never going to be able to do the things you did before." 然后医生说,”詹宁, 你得重新考虑你要做的每件事, 因为你没法再做以前的事情了。“
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法;
I tried to grasp what she was saying. 我努力想要听懂她说的话。
grasp:n.抓住;理解;控制;v.抓住;领会;
I was an athlete . That's all I knew. That's all I'd done. 我是一名运动员。我只知道这个,我只做过这个。
athlete:n.运动员,体育家;身强力壮的人;
If I couldn't do that, then what could I do? 如果这都不能做了,我还能做什么?
And the question I asked myself is, if I couldn't do that, then who was I? 我问我自己,如果我不是运动员了, 那么我是谁?
They moved me from intensive care to acute spinal. 他们将我从重症监护病房转移到脊椎急症病房,
acute:adj.严重的,[医]急性的;敏锐的;激烈的;尖声的;
I was lying on a thin, hard spinal bed. 我躺在一张薄薄的硬床上,
I had no movement in my legs. I had tight stockings on to protect from blood clots . 腿不能动,穿着紧身的长袜, 防止血栓形成。
stockings:n.长筒女袜;(stocking的复数) clots:n.血块(clot的复数);v.凝结(clot的第三人称单数形式);
I had one arm in plaster , one arm tied down by drips . 我的一只胳膊打着石膏,另一只输着液,
plaster:n.石膏;灰泥;膏药;v.减轻;粘贴;涂以灰泥;敷以膏药;使平服; drips:n.水滴(drip的复数);v.滴下;充满;给…打点滴(drip的第三人称单数);
I had a neck brace and sandbags on either side of my head and I saw my world through a mirror that was suspended above my head. 我颈部戴着牵引器,头部两侧都放着沙包, 现在我看整个世界,是通过悬在头上的 一面镜子。
brace:n.箍子;夹子;支架;牙箍;背带;大括弧;一对;v.使作准备;使防备;顶住,抵住 sandbags:vt.用沙袋打;在…堆沙袋;n.沙袋; suspended:v.悬;挂;吊;暂停;中止;(suspend的过去式和过去分词)
I shared the ward with five other people, and the amazing thing is that because we were all lying paralyzed in a spinal ward, we didn't know what each other looked like. 我的病房里还有其他五位病人, 有意思的是,大家都瘫痪躺在脊髓病房里,不能动, 所以我们不知道彼此的样子。
ward:n.病房; v.防止;
How amazing is that? How often in life do you get to make friendships, judgment-free, purely based on spirit? 这为什么有意思?因为你在生活中能有几次机会 建立这样不带主观判断的、 纯精神层面的友谊?
purely:adv.完全;仅仅;
And there were no superficial conversations as we shared our innermost thoughts, our fears, and our hopes for life after the spinal ward. 我和病友之间没有肤浅的对话, 我们只分享内心最深处的想法,我们的恐惧, 以及我们对于离开脊椎病房以后生活的希望。
superficial:adj.表面的;肤浅的;表面文章的;外表的;(人)浅薄的; innermost:adj.内心的;最里面的,最深处的;秘密的;
I remember one night, one of the nurses came in, 我记得有天晚上,有名护士走了进来,
Jonathan, with a whole lot of plastic straws . 他叫约翰逊,带着很多塑料吸管。
straws:n.[作物]稻草;吸管(straw的复数形式);
He put a pile on top of each of us, and he said, "Start threading them together." 他在我们每个人身上都放了一堆吸管,告诉我们, “把这些吸管接在一起。”
pile:n.桩;堆;摞;桩柱;v.堆放;摞起;叠放;放置; threading:v.纫针;穿过;通过;穿行;穿成串;(thread的现在分词)
Well, there wasn't much else to do in the spinal ward, so we did. 当时在脊椎病房里也无事可做,于是我们就开始连吸管。
And when we'd finished, he went around silently and he joined all of the straws up till it looped around the whole ward, and then he said, "Okay, everybody, hold on to your straws." 我们连完之后,他默默地走过来, 把所有吸管都接在一起, 直到能绕病房一周,然后他说, ”好了,大家都抓住你们的吸管。“
looped:adj.成圈的;酩酊大醉的;v.成圈;打环(loop的过去式和过去分词); hold on to:坚持;紧握;克制;
And we did. And he said, "Right. Now we're all connected." 我们照做了。他说,“对,现在我们都连在一起了。”
And as we held on, and we breathed as one, we knew we weren't on this journey alone. 我们抓着吸管,以同样的节奏呼吸, 我们知道在这一程中,我们不孤独。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
And even lying paralyzed in the spinal ward, there were moments of incredible depth and richness , of authenticity and connection that I had never experienced before. 即便是躺在脊椎病房里,瘫痪着的时候, 也有一些无比深刻而丰富的时刻, 让我感觉到生命的真实和互联, 这是我此前从未体会到的。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; richness:n.丰富;富裕;肥沃;华美; authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性;
And each of us knew that when we left the spinal ward we would never be the same. 我们每个人都明白,一旦我们离开这间病房, 我们再也不是以前的自己了。
After six months, it was time to go home. 过了六个月,我该出院回家了,
I remember Dad pushing me outside in my wheelchair , wrapped in a plaster body cast, and feeling the sun on my face for the first time. 我记得爸爸用轮椅把我推出来, 我打着石膏绷带, 第一次感受到阳光洒在脸上。
wheelchair:n.轮椅; wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式)
I soaked it up and I thought, how could I ever have taken this for granted ? 我沐浴在阳光里,心想, 我以前怎么能认为这是理所当然的?
soaked:adj.湿透;浸透了…的;v.浸泡;浸湿;浸透;使湿透;(soak的过去分词和过去式) granted:v.不错,的确; conj.因为; v.同意,准予,允许; (grant的过去分词和过去式)
I felt so incredibly grateful for my life. 我对生命感到无比感恩。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
But before I left the hospital, the head nurse had said to me, "Janine, I want you to be ready, because when you get home, something's going to happen." 但我出院前,护士长告诉过我, “詹宁,我希望你做好准备, 因为你回家之后,会遇到一点问题。”
And I said, "What?" And she said, "You're going to get depressed ." 我问,”什么问题?”她说, “你会抑郁。”
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
And I said, "Not me, not Janine the Machine," 我说,”我不会,詹宁‘机器’不会的。”
which was my nickname . 詹宁”机器“是我的外号。
nickname:n.绰号;昵称;v.给…取绰号;叫错名字;
She said, "You are, because, see, it happens to everyone. 她说,”你会的,因为每个人都会。
In the spinal ward, that's normal. 在脊椎病房里,一切都很正常。
You're in a wheelchair. That's normal. 你坐轮椅,很正常。
But you're going to get home and realize how different life is." 但是等你回家,你就会意识到 生活发生了多大的变化。”
And I got home and something happened. 我回家之后确实有一些问题。
I realized Sister Sam was right. 我意识到萨姆护士说得对,
I did get depressed. 我确实抑郁了。
I was in my wheelchair. I had no feeling from the waist down, attached to a catheter bottle. I couldn't walk. 我坐着轮椅,腰部以下没有知觉, 必须带着导尿管,不能行走。
attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
I'd lost so much weight in the hospital 我住院期间体重大幅下降,
I now weighed about 80 pounds. 降到只有80磅左右。
And I wanted to give up. 我想要放弃。
All I wanted to do was put my running shoes on and run out the door. 我只想穿上我的跑鞋,跑出门去,
I wanted my old life back. I wanted my body back. 我想回到过去的生活,拥有过去的身体,
And I can remember Mom sitting on the end of my bed, and saying, " I wonder if life will ever be good again." 我还记得妈妈坐在我的床头说, “我在想生活会不会再好起来。”
I wonder if:我不知道是否…?;
And I thought, "How could it? Because I've lost everything that I valued, everything that I'd worked towards. 我当时想,“怎么可能?我已经失去了一切我看重的东西, 一切我为之努力的东西。
Gone." 什么都没了。”
And the question I asked was, "Why me? Why me?" 我当时问,“为什么是我?为什么是我?”
And then I remembered my friends that were still in the spinal ward, particularly Maria . 但我想到我的那些病友, 还在脊椎病房里的病友, 尤其是玛利亚。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Maria:n.母驴;母马;[天文学]海(指月亮,火星表面的阴暗部分);
Maria was in a car accident, and she woke up on her 16th birthday to the news that she was a complete quadriplegic , had no movement from the neck down, had damage to her vocal chords , and she couldn't talk. 玛利亚遭遇了车祸,醒来的时候是她的16岁生日, 她却得知自己已经完全瘫痪了, 颈部以下都不能动弹, 声带受损,不能说话。
quadriplegic:n.四肢瘫痪者;adj.四肢瘫痪的; vocal:adj.嗓音的;发声的;大声表达的;直言不讳的;n.(乐曲中的)歌唱部分; chords:n.[数]弦(乐器上的,chord的复数);和弦;
They told me, "We're going to move you next to her because we think it will be good for her." 他们告诉我,“我们要把你挪到她旁边, 因为我们觉得这样对她有好处。“
I was worried. I didn't know how I'd react to being next to her. 我很担心,不知道在她旁边 应该怎么应对。
react:v.起反应;回应;(对食物等)有不良反应,过敏;起化学反应;
I knew it would be challenging, but it was actually a blessing, because Maria always smiled. 我知道这会是个挑战,但事实上这是一种福气, 因为玛利亚总是在微笑。
She was always happy, and even when she began to talk again, albeit difficult to understand, she never complained , not once. 她总是很开心,即使是她再度开口说话时, 即便很难懂,她也从来不抱怨,一次也没有。
albeit:conj.虽然;即使; complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式)
And I wondered how had she ever found that level of acceptance . 我很好奇她是如何接受事实的。
acceptance:n.验收;接受;认可;承认;
And I realized that this wasn't just my life. 我认识到,这不是我一个人的生活,
It was life itself. I realized that this wasn't just my pain. 这就是生活本身。我认识到,这不是我一个人的痛苦,
It was everybody's pain. And then I knew, just like before, that I had a choice. I could keep fighting this or I could let go and accept not only my body but the circumstances of my life. 这是所有人的痛苦。我认识到,和从前一样, 我还是有选择。我可以继续拒绝面对, 也可以坦然,接受我的身体 和我的生活处境。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
And then I stopped asking, "Why me?" 于是我不再问,”为什么是我?“
And I started to ask, "Why not me?" 我开始问,”为什么不是我?“
And then I thought to myself, maybe being at rock bottom is actually the perfect place to start. 我对自己说,也许跌到谷底 恰恰是最好的起点。
rock bottom:adj.底层的;最低的;n.最低点;
I had never before thought of myself as a creative person. 我以前从来不认为自己是一个有创意的人,
creative:adj.创造性的;
I was an athlete. My body was a machine. 我是一个运动员,我的身体是一台机器。
But now I was about to embark on the most creative project that any of us could ever do: that of rebuilding a life. 但是现在我却要开始一个最具创意的工程, 也是我们每一个人都能做的, 那就是:重建生活。
was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将; embark:vi.从事,着手;上船或飞机;vt.使从事;使上船;
And even though I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do, in that uncertainty came a sense of freedom. 尽管我毫无概念 将来要做什么,但这种不确定 倒也带来了一种自由感。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠;
I was no longer tied to a set path. 我不再受限于既定路径,
I was free to explore life's infinite possibilities. 我能自由探索生活的无限可能。
explore:v.探索:探测:探险: infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限;
And that realization was about to change my life. 这一认识接下来会改变我的人生。
realization:n.实现;领悟;
Sitting at home in my wheelchair and my plaster body cast, an airplane flew overhead , and I looked up, and I thought to myself, "That's it! 就当我坐在家中的轮椅上,打着石膏绷带的时候, 有一架飞机从我头顶飞过,我抬头望去, 对自己说,”就是它了!
airplane:n.飞机; overhead:n.开销;经常费用;经常开支;adj.头上方的;地面以上的;adv.在头上方;在空中
If I can't walk, then I might as well fly." 如果我不能走,那我不妨飞。”
might as well:不妨,何妨;还是…的好;
I said, "Mom, I'm going to learn how to fly." 我说,“妈妈,我要学飞行。”
She said, "That's nice, dear." (Laughter) 她说,“那不错啊。亲爱的”(笑声)
I said, "Pass me the yellow pages ." 我说,“把黄页递给我。”
yellow pages:n.黄页(分类商业电话号码簿);
She passed me the phone book , I rang up the flying school, 她递给我电话号码簿,我打电话到飞行学校预约,
phone book:na.电话簿;
I made a booking, said I'd like to make a booking to come out for a flight. 说我想预约一次飞行,
They said, "You know, when do you want to come out?" 他们说,“那你想什么时候飞?”
I said, "Well, I have to get a friend to drive me out because I can't drive. Sort of can't walk either. 我说,“嗯,我得找个朋友开车送我, 因为我开不了车,基本也走不了路。
Is that a problem?" 那会是个问题吗?”
I made a booking, and weeks later my friend Chris and my mom drove me out to the airport , all 80 pounds of me covered in a plaster body cast in a baggy pair of overalls . (Laughter) 我约好了时间,几周后,我的朋友克里斯 和我妈妈开车把我送到机场, 只有80磅的我,打着石膏绷带, 穿着一条肥肥大大的背带裤。(笑声)
airport:n.机场;航空港; baggy:adj.袋状的,膨胀的;宽松而下垂的; overalls:n.[服装]工装裤;工作裤;
I can tell you, I did not look like the ideal candidate to get a pilot's license . (Laughter) 我可以告诉大家,我看起来实在不像是 能考取飞行执照的理想人选。(笑声)
license:v.许可;批准;
I'm holding on to the counter because I can't stand. 我靠在柜台上,因为我站不住,
I said, "Hi, I'm here for a flying lesson." 我说,“你好,我是来上飞行课的。”
And they took one look and ran out the back to draw short straws. 他们看了我一眼,然后从后门跑了出去互相推让,
'"You get her.""No, no, you take her." “你带她。”“不不,你带她。”
Finally this guy comes out. He goes, "Hi, I'm Andrew, and I'm going to take you flying." 最后终于有一个人走出来,说, “你好,我叫安德鲁,我来带你飞。”
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
I go, "Great." And so they drive me down, they get me out on the tarmac , and there was this red, white and blue airplane. 我说,“好啊。”于是他们开车带我下去, 把我送到停机坪上, 那儿停着一架红白蓝的飞机,
tarmac:n.柏油碎石路面;铺有柏油碎石的飞机跑道;
It was beautiful. They lifted me into the cockpit . 非常漂亮。他们把我抬进了驾驶舱,
cockpit:n.驾驶员座舱;战场;
They had to slide me up on the wing , put me in the cockpit. 其实是让我从机翼滑上去,进到驾驶舱的。
on the wing:在飞行中;奔波着;
They sat me down. There are buttons and dials everywhere. 他们让我坐好。驾驶舱里到处都是按钮和表盘。
I'm going, "Wow, how do you ever know what all these buttons and dials do?" 我说,“哇,你怎么能知道每个按钮和表盘都是做什么用的?”
Andrew the instructor got in the front, started the airplane up. 教官安德鲁钻到前面,启动了飞机,
instructor:n.指导书;教员;指导者;
He said, "Would you like to have a go at taxiing?" 他说,“你想不想试试滑行?”
That's when you use your feet to control the rudder pedals to control the airplane on the ground. 滑行就是用脚控制方向舵的踏板, 在地面上控制飞机。
rudder:n.船舵;飞机方向舵; pedals:n.踏板;脚踏;方向舵脚蹬(pedal的复数);
I said, "No, I can't use my legs." 我说,“不,我的腿动不了。”
He went, "Oh." 他说,“哦。”
I said, "But I can use my hands," and he said, "Okay." 我说,“但我可以用手。”他说,“好吧。”
So he got over to the runway , and he applied the power. 于是他开到跑道上,开足马力,
runway:n.跑道;河床;滑道; applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
And as we took off down the runway, and the wheels lifted up off the tarmac, and we became airborne , 我们从跑道上起飞, 飞机的轮子离开停机坪、我们飞起来的那一瞬间,
airborne:adj.[航]空运的;空气传播的;风媒的;
I had the most incredible sense of freedom. 我有一种最不可思议的自由感。
And Andrew said to me, as we got over the training area, "You see that mountain over there?" 我们飞向训练区的时候, 安德鲁对我说, “你看见那边的山了吗?
And I said, "Yeah." 我说,”看到了。“
And he said, "Well, you take the controls, and you fly towards that mountain." 安德鲁说,”好,现在你来控制,朝山那儿飞。“
And as I looked up, I realized that he was pointing towards the Blue Mountains where the journey had begun. 我抬起头来,发现 他指着的是蓝山, 也就是我这一程的起点。
And I took the controls, and I was flying. 于是我控制飞机飞过去,
And I was a long, long way from that spinal ward, and I knew right then that I was going to be a pilot. 此刻的我距离那个脊椎病房已经很远很远。 当时我就知道我想要当飞行员。
Didn't know how on Earth I'd ever pass a medical. 我不知道我怎么样才能通过体检,
But I'd worry about that later, because right now I had a dream. 但这个问题我回头再操心,因为现在我有一个梦想。
So I went home, I got a training diary out, and I had a plan. 于是我回家找出一本训练日记,制定了一个计划。
And I practiced my walking as much as I could, and I went from the point of two people holding me up to one person holding me up to the point where I could walk around the furniture as long as it wasn't too far apart. 我尽量多地练习行走, 从一开始靠两个人架着 到一个人架着 到可以扶着家具走, 只要家具别隔得太远。
furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物; as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
And then I made great progression to the point where I could walk around the house, holding onto the walls, like this, and Mom said she was forever following me, wiping off my fingerprints . (Laughter) 后来我取得了很大进步, 能够扶着墙在屋子里走, 就像这样,而妈妈说她总是跟在我后面, 擦我的手印。(笑声)
progression:n.前进;连续; fingerprints:n.[法][特医]指纹(fingerprint的复数); v.取…的指印(fingerprint的三单形式);
But at least she always knew where I was. 但至少她始终知道我在哪儿。
So while the doctors continued to operate and put my body back together again, 所以当医生们继续做手术, 再次修复我的身体时,
I went on with my theory study, and then eventually , and amazingly, I passed my pilot's medical, and that was my green light to fly. 我继续我的理论学习,然后最终, 我奇迹般地通过了飞行员体检, 那意味着我可以飞了。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
And I spent every moment I could out at that flying school, way out of my comfort zone , all these young guys that wanted to be Qantas pilots, you know, and little old hop-along me in first my plaster cast , and then my steel brace, my baggy overalls, my bag of medication and catheters and my limp , and they used to look at me and think, "Oh, who is she kidding? She's never going to be able to do this." 我把所有空闲时间都花在飞行学校, 远远走出我的舒适带。 所有那些想当澳航飞行员的年轻人, 都看到我先是打着石膏绷带, 然后戴着钢支架,穿着肥大的背带裤, 带着医药包、导尿袋,一瘸一拐地, 他们当时看见我时会想, ”哦?谁在这儿开玩笑?她永远不可能做到的。“
comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态; plaster cast:n.(固定骨折部位的)管形石膏;石膏模型; medication:n.药;药物; catheters:n.导尿管,尿液管(catheter的复数形式);医用导管; limp:adj.柔软的,无力的;软弱的;vi.跛行,一拐一拐地走;缓慢费力地前进;n.跛行;
And sometimes I thought that too. 有的时候我也那么想。
But that didn't matter, because now there was something inside that burned that far outweighed my injuries. 但没关系,因为我心里有一种东西在燃烧, 远比我的伤势更为猛烈。
outweighed:v.重于;大于;超过;(outweigh的过去分词和过去式)
And little goals kept me going along the way, and eventually I got my private pilot's license, and then I learned to navigate , and I flew my friends around Australia. 我朝着这些小目标一步一步走下来, 最终我拿到了私用飞行驾照, 然后我学会了导航,载着朋友飞遍澳大利亚,
navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
And then I learned to fly an airplane with two engines and I got my twin engine rating. 然后我又学会了驾驶双引擎的飞机, 通过了双引擎飞机驾驶考核。
And then I learned to fly in bad weather as well as fine weather and got my instrument rating. 然后,我又学会在恶劣天气飞行, 通过了仪表飞行考核。
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; instrument:n.仪器;工具;乐器;手段;器械;
And then I got my commercial pilot's license. 后来,我拿到了商用飞行驾照。
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
And then I got my instructor rating. 又拿到了教官执照。
And then I found myself back at that same school where I'd gone for that very first flight, teaching other people how to fly, just under 18 months after I'd left the spinal ward. 再后来,我回到了那所学校, 就是我上第一节飞行课的学校, 我在那里教别人飞行, 这离我离开脊椎病房只有18个月。
(Applause) (掌声)
And then I thought, "Why stop there? 然后我又想,”为什么停下来?
Why not learn to fly upside down ?" 为什么不学习倒飞呢?”
upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的;
And I did, and I learned to fly upside down and became an aerobatics flying instructor. 于是我去学了倒飞, 成为一名特技飞行教官。
aerobatics:n.特技飞行;[航]特技飞行术;
And Mom and Dad? Never been up. 我爸妈呢?从来没坐过。
But then I knew for certain that although my body might be limited , it was my spirit that was unstoppable . 但我已经很确信,尽管我的身体有局限, 我的精神却是挡不住的。
for certain:肯定地;确凿地; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) unstoppable:adj.无法阻碍的;无法停止的(副词unstoppably);
The philosopher Lao Tzu once said, "When you let go of what you are, you become what you might be." 哲学家老子曾经说过, ”以其终不自为大, 故能成其大。“
philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
I now know that it wasn't until I let go of who I thought I was that I was able to create a completely new life. 我现在明白,只有我放弃以前对自己的定位, 我才能开启一个全新的人生,
It wasn't until I let go of the life I thought I should have that I was able to embrace the life that was waiting for me. 只有我放弃以前认为应当拥有的生活, 我才能拥抱正在等待我的生活。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
I now know that my real strength never came from my body, and although my physical capabilities have changed dramatically , who I am is unchanged . 我现在明白,我真正的力量 从来就不是来自我的身躯, 而且尽管我的身体性能发生了极大变化, 我真实的自己从未改变。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; unchanged:adj.未改变的;
The pilot light inside of me was still a light, just as it is in each and every one of us. 我内心的领航信号灯依然亮着, 我们每个人心中都有这样的信号灯。
pilot light:n.引火火种;长明火; just as it is:恰好如此;照原样;
I know that I'm not my body, and I also know that you're not yours. 我知道,我不仅仅是我的这幅躯体, 我也知道,你们也都一样。
And then it no longer matters what you look like, where you come from, or what you do for a living. 你们的外在形象不再重要, 你们的背景、你们的工作都不重要,
All that matters is that we continue to fan the flame of humanity by living our lives as the ultimate creative expression of who we really are, because we are all connected by millions and millions of straws, and it's time to join those up and to hang on. 唯一重要的是,我们要让人性的火焰继续燃烧, 好好生活,把它作为 内心真实自我的终极表达。 因为我们彼此联结着, 由成万上亿的吸管联结在一起, 是时候把我们都连起来, 然后固守。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则; expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
And if we are to move towards our collective bliss, it's time we shed our focus on the physical and instead embrace the virtues of the heart. 如果我们想要获得共同的欢乐与运气, 那么是时候放弃对于外在的关注, 而应该是去感悟内心的美德。
collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词; virtues:n.优点,贞操;美德;
So raise your straws if you'll join me. 所以如果你们愿意和我一起,就举起手中的吸管吧。
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢。(掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。