返回首页

JaneMcGonigal_2010-_游戏创造美好生活_

I'm Jane McGonigal. I'm a game designer. 我叫JaneMcGonigal,我是一名游戏设计师
I've been making games online now for 10 years. 我从事网络游戏设计已经10年了
And my goal for the next decade is to try to make it as easy to save the world in real life as it is to save the world in online games. 我未来十年的目标 就是希望能让 就像玩网络游戏那样 简单的解决现实生活中的问题
Now, I have a plan for this, and it entails convincing more people, including all of you, to spend more time playing bigger and better games. 现在,我将解释一下我这么说的原因 如果人们能玩到一些更大型、更优秀的游戏 当然包括在座的诸位,并且能花费更多的时间在游戏上 你会觉得我的解释更有说服力
entails:vt.使需要,必需;承担;遗传给;蕴含;n.引起;需要;继承; convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
Right now we spend three billion hours a week playing online games. 现如今的人们用在网络游戏上的时间可以达到每周30亿小时 现如今的人们用在网络游戏上的时间可以达到每周30亿小时
Some of you might be thinking, "That's a lot of time to spend playing games." 你们当中有些人可能会觉得 “花费了这么多时间玩游戏啊”
Maybe too much time, considering how many urgent problems we have to solve in the real world. 也许有些多了,因为考虑到 现实生活中有很多的紧迫的问题需要我们去处理
urgent:adj.紧急的;急迫的;
But actually, according to my research, at The Institute For The Future, it's actually the opposite is true. 但是,根据我在未来问题研究所 对相关问题的研究 我们花费在游戏上的时间一点也不多
according to:根据,据说; Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
Three billion hours a week is not nearly enough game play to solve the world's most urgent problems. 每周30亿小时的游戏世间对于解决现实生活中的问题来说远远不足 每周30亿小时的游戏世间对于解决现实生活中的问题来说远远不足
In fact, I believe that if we want to survive the next century on this planet, we need to increase that total dramatically . 事实上,我觉得为了能更好得在地球上生存 事实上,我觉得为了能更好得在地球上生存 我们需要大量增加游戏时间
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
I've calculated the total we need at 21 billion hours of game play every week. 我曾经计算过,我们所需要的游戏时间 是每周210亿小时
So, that's probably a bit of a counterintuitive idea, so, I'll say it again, let it sink in. 也许这有些违背常理 但,我想重新说一遍,以便于让这种观念被充分理解
counterintuitive:adj.违反直觉的;
If we want to solve problems like hunger, poverty , climate change, global conflict , obesity , 如果我们想解决诸如饥饿、 贫困、气候变化、全球冲突、肥胖等问题
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触; obesity:n.肥大,肥胖;
I believe that we need to aspire to play games online for at least 21 billion hours a week, by the end of the next decade. (Laughter) 我坚信我们需要被鼓励 人们去玩网络游戏 而且每周至少210亿小时 当然,这将会在十年以后(笑声)
aspire:v.渴望(成就);有志(成为);
No. I'm serious. I am. 其实,我是很认真的,不是玩笑
Here's why. This picture pretty much sums up why I think games are so essential to the future survival of the human species . (Laughter) Truly. 这里是解释,我们把这种场景集合起来 就是之所以游戏对人类种族 能在未来生存非常重要的原因。(笑声)真的
sums:n.算术题;总数;全部;v.归纳;总计;(sum的第三人称单数和复数) essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
This is a portrait by a photographer named Phil Toledano. 这是一幅由Phil Toldano拍摄的肖像
portrait:n.肖像;描写;半身雕塑像;
He wanted to capture the emotion of gaming. 他想捕捉玩游戏时的一些情感变化
capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获 emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
So, he set up a camera in front of gamers while they were playing. 因此,他把摄影仪器放在正在玩游戏的游戏玩家面前
gamers:n.游戏玩家;
And this is a classic gaming emotion. 这是一幅游戏玩家的经典表情
classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
Now, if you're not a gamer you might miss some of the nuance in this photo. 现在,如果你不是一个游戏玩家 你就不会察觉出这幅照片中的真正内涵
nuance:n.细微差别;
You probably see the sense of urgency , a little bit of fear, but intense concentration , deep deep focus on tackling a really difficult problem. 你可能会感觉到紧迫、 一丝的恐惧,而不是精神的高度集中 抑或者是集中精力在解决一个难题
urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事; intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; tackling:n.装备,用具;扭住;v.处理;抓住;(tackle的现在分词);
If you are a gamer, you will notice a few nuances here, the crinkle of the eyes up, and around the mouth is a sign of optimism . 如果你是一位游戏玩家,你就会感觉到一些不同东西 眼角周围的褶皱是向上的,包括嘴角周围的褶皱也是一样的 这是一个非常乐观的迹象
nuances:细微差别; crinkle:vt.起皱;使沙沙作响;vi.起皱;卷曲;n.皱纹;波纹;沙沙声; optimism:n.乐观;乐观主义;
And the eyebrows up is surprise. 并且,眉毛向上翘起是惊讶的标志
eyebrows:n.眉;眉毛;(eyebrow的复数)
This is a gamer who is on the verge of something called an epic win. 这说明,这个游戏玩家即将在游戏中获得史诗般胜利 (如诗般美妙的巨大胜利,难以想象的胜利)
on the verge of:濒临于;接近于; epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品;
(Laughter) 笑声
Oh, you've heard of that. Okay. Good. 你们曾经听说过这个词,不错
So we have some gamers among us. 也就是说你们当中有些是游戏玩家
An epic win is an outcome that is so extraordinarily positive you had no idea it was even possible until you achieved it. 这个史诗般的胜利是一个结果 但是它非常令人振奋 在得到这个胜利之前你甚至不曾想到竟然能取得成功
outcome:n.结果,结局;成果; extraordinarily:adv.非常;格外地;非凡地; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
It was almost beyond the threshold of imagination . 这个成功甚至超出了你的想象
threshold:n.入口;门槛;开始;极限;临界值; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
And when you get there you are shocked to discover what you are truly capable of. That is an epic win. 当你一旦达到并完成,你就会被自己的技能所震撼 这就是所谓的“史诗般的胜利”
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
This is a gamer on the verge of an epic win. 而这个玩家即将取得这样的胜利
And this is the face that we need to see on millions of problem-solvers all over the world as we try to tackle the obstacles of the next century. 同时,这也是在下个世纪, 我们所期望的在处理全球众多问题 排除各种障碍时露出的表情
tackle:v.处理; n.用具; obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式)
The face of someone who, against all odds is on the verge of an epic win. 能排除万难的人 是无往不胜的
against all odds:克服一切困难、出乎所有人的意料而完成某事;
Now, unfortunately this is more of the face that we see in everyday life now as we try to tackle urgent problems. 现在,不幸的是,当我们处理日常生活中各种紧急事件的时候, 我们往往看到的是这个表情
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
This is what I call the "I'm Not Good At Life" face. 通常我称这个为“不擅长生活”表情
And this is actually me making it. Can you see? Yes. Good. 事实上是我自己做出的这个,能否从中看出来呢?好的
This is actually me making the "I'm Not Good At Life" face. 这就是我做出的“不擅长生活”表情
This is a piece of graffiti in my old neighborhood in Berkeley, California, where I did my PhD on why we're better in games than we are in real life. 这也是我在加州的伯克利的一个老社区进修我的博士学位时的 一个涂鸦 而我读博士研究的课题就是“为什么我们觉得虚拟游戏世界比现实世界更好”
graffiti:n.墙上乱写乱画的东西(graffito的复数形式); neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
And this is a problem that a lot of gamers have. 同时这也是一个很多游戏玩家的难题
We feel that we are not as good in reality as we are in games. 我们感觉自己无法像在游戏中一样适应现实生活
And I don't mean just good as in successful, although that's part of it. 我不认为适应就是成功,二者不是等价的 纵然适应是成功的一部分
We do achieve more in game worlds. But I also but I also mean good as in motivated to do something that matters, inspired to collaborate and to cooperate . 我们确实在游戏世界中收获更多的成功 但是这里所说的适应 就是指去做紧要事情的内在动力、 激起合作的灵感以及协作
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) collaborate:vi.合作;勾结,通敌; cooperate:v.合作;配合;协作;结合;
And when we're in game worlds 当我们处于游戏世界时
I believe that many of us become the best version of ourselves, the most likely to help at a moment's notice, the most likely to stick with a problem as long at it takes, to get up after failure and try again. 我觉得我们可以做最好的自己 这时看到一个消息我们就会去帮助别人 并且会持之以恒的解决一个问题 面对挫折我们会勇敢得站起来,并且继续奋斗
And in real life, when we face failure, when we confront obstacles, we often don't feel that way. 但,在现实生活中,当我们面对失败的时候 当我们遭遇障碍的时候,我们通常就不会那么感觉了
confront:v.直面;无法回避;降临于;处理;对抗;
We feel overcome . 我们通常会觉得
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
We feel overwhelmed . 很压抑、不知所措、
overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
We feel anxious, maybe depressed , frustrated or cynical . 不知所措、焦虑,甚至沮丧、灰心或者愤世嫉俗
depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词) frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词) cynical:adj.愤世嫉俗的;冷嘲的;
We never have those feelings when we're playing games, they just don't exist in games. 这个时候我们就没有玩游戏那个时候的感受了 在游戏中就不会存在这些感觉
So, that's what I wanted to study when I was a graduate student. 这就是我在读研究生时研究的东西 这就是我在读研究生时研究的东西
What about games makes it impossible to feel that we can't achieve everything? 游戏能否让我们觉得, 做不成任何事情是不可能的呢?
How can we take those feelings from games and apply them to real-world work? 我们怎么才能把从游戏中获得的这种感觉 转移到现实社会的工作中呢
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; real-world:adj.现实生活的;工作的;
So, I looked at games like World of Warcraft , which is really the ideal collaborative problem solving environment. 因此,我研究了一些像《魔兽世界》这样的游戏 它们正是理想的解决协作问题的平台
Warcraft:n.军舰;战略;军用飞机; collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的;
And I started to notice a few things that make epic wins so possible in online worlds. 我注意到一些事情 正是这些事情让史诗般的胜利在网络游戏里面变得可能
So, the first thing is, whenever you show up in one of these online games especially in World of Warcraft, there are lots and lots of different characters who are willing to trust you with a world-saving mission , right away . 第一件事情是,无论何时当你出现在这些网络游戏里面的时候 特别是《魔兽世界》 游戏里面会有很多不同的角色 他们对你非常信任,并且会帮助你完成拯救世界的任务
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; right away:立刻;
But not just any mission, it's a mission that is perfectly matched with your current level in the game. Right? 但并不是所有的任务都是这样, 而仅仅是那些完全匹配你当前等级的任务
So, you can do it. 因此,你有能力去完成它
They never give you a challenge that you can't achieve. 设计者不会给你一个就你当前的能力完成不了的任务
But it is on the verge of what you're capable of. So, you have to try hard. 但完成这个任务需要发挥你能力的极限,因此,你必须尽你最大努力
But there is no unemployment in World of Warcraft. 在魔兽世界里人人都有自己的职位
unemployment:n.失业;失业率;失业人数;
There is no sitting around wringing your hands. 那里没有观众
wringing:v.拧,绞,拧出,绞出(衣服等中的水);(wring的现在分词)
There is always something specific and important to be done. 那里一直有一些非常特别并且很重要的事情等着你去完成
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
And there are also tons of collaborators . 并且游戏世界里有很多的人可以协作
collaborators:n.[劳经]合作者;投敌者(collaborator的复数);
Everywhere you go, hundreds of thousands of people ready to work with you to achieve your epic mission. 不论你到了哪里, 都会有成千上万的人等着和你合作 去完成那些艰巨的任务
It's not something that we have in real life that easily, this sense that at our fingertips are tons of collaborators. 在现实生活中就没有这么轻松了 这种在我们指尖间就有成千上万合作伙伴的感觉 在现实生活中就没有这么简单了
fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数)
And also there is this epic story, this inspiring story of why we're there, and what we're doing. 在游戏中会有美妙的故事情节,而这些情节 吸引了我们,并且激励着我们的所作所为
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词)
And then we get all this positive feedback . 同时,对于我们所做出的任何努力都会有一个积极肯定的回应
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
You guys have heard of leveling up and plus-one strength, and plus-one intelligence . 你们肯定听说过等级提升, 伴随着等级提升力量加一点同时智力加一点
leveling:n.[测]水准测量; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报;
We don't get that kind of constant feedback in real life. 而我们在现实生活中就没有这种持续的回馈
When I get off this stage I'm not going to have plus-one speaking, and plus-one crazy idea, plus-20 crazy idea. 比如说,当我走下这个舞台的时候,我不会有 演说能力加一,疯狂的创意能力加一 更不用说疯狂的创意能力加20了
I don't get that feedback in real life. 在现实生活中我没有得到任何奖励
Now, the problem with collaborative online environments like World of Warcraft is that it's so satisfying to be on the verge of an epic win all the time, that we decide to spend all our time in these game worlds. 在网络虚拟环境中,比如《魔兽世界》 在网络虚拟环境中,比如《魔兽世界》 和别人协作是一件非常惬意的事情 因为我们可以不停得向最终的胜利冲击 也正是因为如此我们才会一直沉醉于游戏世界中
It's just better than reality. 因为它比现实更好
So, so far, collectively all the World of Warcraft gamers have spent 5.93 million years solving the virtual problems of Azeroth. 到目前为止,《魔兽世界》的游戏玩家们已经花费了总数为593万年的时间 去解决艾泽拉斯里面的各种虚拟的问题 去解决艾泽拉斯里面的各种虚拟的问题
collectively:adv.共同地,全体地; virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认);
Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing. 这不是一件坏事
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
It might sound like it's a bad thing. 不过听起来像是一件坏事
But to put that in context : 5.93 million years ago was when our earliest primate human ancestors stood up. 我们把这些数字写下来: 593万年前 我们人类的祖先灵长类开始了直立行走
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; primate:n.大主教;灵长类的动物;首领;adj.灵长目动物的;首要的;
That was the first upright primate. 这是第一种直立行走的灵长类动物
upright:n.立柱;adj.直立的;挺直的;竖直的;垂直的;adv.竖立着;垂直着;
Okay, so when we talk about how much time we're currently investing in playing games, the only way it makes sense to even think about it, is to talk about time at the magnitude of human evolution , which is an extraordinary thing. 因此,当我们谈论我们在游戏上花费了那么多时间时 唯一让这件事情合理的理解方式就是:去想一想 在人类进化进程中 我们所花费的时间有多少 而且这是一件多么不同寻常的事情!
currently:adv.当前;一般地; investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) magnitude:n.大小;量级;[地震]震级;重要;光度; evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
But it's also apt. Because it turns out that by spending all this time playing games, we are actually changing what we are capable of as human beings. 这样去想是恰当的,因为你会发现 通过花费大量的时间去玩游戏 我们能改变我们做人的能力 我们能改变我们做人的能力
We are evolving to be a more collaborative and hearty species. 我们正不断发展成为一个更具有协作精神和更强健的物种
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词) hearty:adj.衷心的;丰盛的;健壮的;精神饱满的;n.朋友们;伙伴们;
This is true. I believe this. 这是真的,我深信不疑
So, consider this really interesting statistic . 来看一个有趣的调查
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的;
It was recently published by a researcher at Carnegie Mellon University. 这份调查结果是由一位来自卡内基梅隆大学的研究者发布的
recently:adv.最近;新近;
The average young person today in a country with a strong gamer culture will have spent 10,000 hours playing online games, by the age of 21. 在一个玩游戏氛围很强的国家,当今的年轻人 在一个玩游戏氛围很强的国家,当今的年轻人 在其21岁前,平均每人 花费在网络游戏上的时间可达10000小时
young person:n.(14至17岁的)青少年;
Now 10,000 hours is a really interesting number for two reasons. 现在,一万小时是一个很有趣的数值 主要是因为有两个原因
First of all , for children in the United States 10,080 hours is the exact amount of time you will spend in school from fifth grade to high school graduation if you have perfect attendance . 首先,美国的儿童 从五年级到高中毕业 所需要的时间 就是10080个小时 当然你得表现良好(按时上课,出勤)
First of all:adv.首先; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) attendance:n.出席;到场;出席人数;
So, we have an entire parallel track of education going on where young people are learning as much about what it takes to be a good gamer as they are learning about everything else in school. 我们就有了一份并行跟踪教育的数据, 它显示: 年轻人做一个好的游戏玩家所花费的时间 与他们在学校里面学习知识 所用的时间是一样多的
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
And some of you have probably read 你们当中的有些人肯定读过
Malcom Gladwell's new book Outliers . MalcomGladwell的新书《局外人》
Outliers:n.[分化]异常值;离群值;离开本体的东西;局外人(outlier的复数);
So, you would have heard of his theory of success, the 10,000 hour theory of success. 因此你们对作者关于成功理论的见解也就不是那么陌生了 一万小时成功法则
It's based on this great cognitive science research that if we can master 10,000 hours at effortful study, at anything by the age of 21, we will be virtuosos at it. 这个法则是基于认知科学研究的 如果我们在21岁前能花费10000小时 专心努力的学习或者是做一些其他的事情, 那么我们一定可以在这些事情上获得巨大成功
cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; virtuosos:adj.技艺精湛的; n.技艺超群的人; (virtuoso的复数);
We will be as good at whatever we do as the greatest people in the world. 我们将在我们所做的任何事情上 成为世界级专家
And so, now what we're looking at is an entire generation of young people who are virtuoso gamers. 现在,我们所关注的就是 擅长游戏的 整整一代年轻人
So, the big question is, "What exactly are gamers getting so good at?" 最大的问题就是 “这些游戏玩家擅长于做些什么?”
Because if we could figure that out we would have a virtually unprecedented human resource on our hands. 如果我们能给出答案 我们将会发掘出一个 史无前例的人力资源
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上; unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的; resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备);
This is how many people we now have in the world who spend at least an hour a day playing online games. 他们就是我们现在所拥有的那些 每天花费至少一小时去玩网络游戏的游戏玩家们
These are our virtuoso gamers. 他们都是技艺精湛的游戏高手
500 million people who are extraordinarily good at something. 5亿擅长于某些事情的人
And in the next decade we're going to have another billion gamers who are extraordinarily good at whatever that is. 在接下来的十年里 又会有10亿多擅长于 某个领域的新游戏玩家加入进来
If you don't know it already, this is coming. 如果闻所未闻,那么我告诉你,这件事正在进行
The game industry is developing consoles that are low energy and that work with the wireless phone networks instead of broadband Internet so that gamers all over the world, particularly in India, China, Brazil , can get online. 游戏产业一直在不停的发展 现如今,它的低能耗, 以及从宽带互联网到无线手机网络的变革 让全球的游戏玩家, 尤其是来自印度、中国、巴西的玩家们,可以在同一个平台里竞技
consoles:n.[计]控制台(console的复数);支柱;v.安慰;慰问(console的三单形式); wireless:adj.无线的;无线电的;n.无线电;v.用无线电发送; broadband:n.宽频;宽波段;adj.宽频带的;宽波段的;宽频通讯的; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
They expect one billion more gamers in the next decade. 据预测,在接下来的十年里将会有10亿的新玩家加入其中
It will bring us up to 1.5 billion gamers. 届时,我们就会有15亿之众的游戏玩家
So, I've started to think about what these games are making us virtuosos at. 因此,我早早的开始了思考, 这些游戏将把我们引向何方?
Here are the four things I came up with. The first is urgent optimism. 对此我觉得大体有四个方面。首先就是对于紧急事件的积极心态,紧急乐观
Okay. Think of this as extreme self-motivation. 把它想象成是极端的自我激励
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
Urgent optimism is the desire to act immediately to tackle an obstacle, combined with the belief that we have a reasonable hope of success. 急切的乐观精神是 结合着 自己必胜信念 对立马解决障碍的渴望
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible, and that it is always worth trying, and trying now. 游戏玩家始终相信 不可能取得的胜利也是可能的
Gamers don't sit around . 游戏玩家不是孤立的
sit around:无所事事;
Gamers are virtuosos at weaving a tight social fabric . 他们很擅长组建严密的社会结构
weaving:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);(weave的现在分词) fabric:n.织物;布料;(社会,机构等的)结构;
There is a lot of interesting research that shows that we like people better after we play a game with them, even if they've beaten us badly. 一项有趣的调查显示 我们更喜欢那些与我们一同玩游戏的人 即便是他们把我打败了,亦是如此
And the reason is, it takes a lot of trust to play a game with someone. 原因就是,在游戏过程中我们累积了信任 原因就是,在游戏过程中我们累积了信任
We trust that they will spend their time with us, that they will play by the same rules, value the same goal, they'll stay with the game until it's over. 我们之所以信任,就是因为他们和我们花费同样的时间 遵守同样的规则 拥有着共同的目标,我们将肩并肩作战(在一起)直至游戏结束
And so, playing a game together actually builds up bonds and trust and cooperation . 基于此,一同游戏的确可以建立 默契、信任和协作
cooperation:n.合作;配合;
And we actually build stronger social relationships as a result . 进而,我们会建立一个更强健的社会关系网络
as a result:结果;
Blissful productivity . I love it. 幸福的生产力,我非常喜欢这个
Blissful:adj.充满喜悦的; productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力;
You know there is a reason why the average World of Warcraft gamer plays for 22 hours a week, kind of a half-time job. 《魔兽世界》的玩家们平均花费 一周22小时, 就像一个兼职一样玩游戏是有原因的
half-time:n.中场休息时间;半工半薪;
It's because we know, when we're playing a game, that we're actually happier working hard, than we are relaxing , or hanging out. 就是因为,当我们玩游戏的时候 相对于休闲或者逛街来说, 我们加倍努力的玩游戏会让我们更开心
relaxing:adj.令人放松的;轻松的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(使)放心;(relax的现在分词)
We know that we are optimized , as human beings, to do hard meaningful work. 作为人类来说, 我们更喜欢做那些虽然很难但是更有趣的事情(工作)
optimized:adj.最佳化的;尽量充分利用; meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
And gamers are willing to work hard all the time, if they're given the right work. 如果能够提供一个合适的任务给游戏玩家, 他们就会一直不停地努力玩下去
Finally , epic meaning. 最后,是史诗的含义
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
Gamers love to be attached to awe-inspiring missions to human planetary-scale stories. 游戏玩家喜欢依附在 那些关乎人类星际故事的威严任务里面
attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式) awe-inspiring:adj.使人敬畏的;令人惊叹的; missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数)
So, just one bit of trivia that helps put that into perspective . 你所做的任何一点点的琐事都会成为那个最终的美好愿景的一部分
trivia:n.琐事; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
So, you all know Wikipedia , biggest wiki in the world. 大家都听说过维基百科,全球最大的Wiki(wiki是一种在网路上开放、可供多人协同创作的超文本系统)
Wikipedia:维基百科;
Second biggest wiki, in the world, with nearly 80,000 articles is the World of Warcraft wiki. 全球第二大的wiki, 就是《魔兽世界》wiki,里面大约有8万篇文章
Five million people use it every month. 每个月都有500万人在使用它
They have compiled more information about World of Warcraft on the Internet than any other topic covered on any other wiki in the world. 里面集合的有关《魔兽世界》的信息 比网络上任何其他主题的信息 都要多
compiled:adj.编译的;v.编辑(compile的过去分词);
They are building an epic story. 这就创造了一个史诗般的故事
They are building an epic knowledge resource about the World of Warcraft. 同时也创就了一个关于《魔兽世界》的 如史诗般的巨大的知识资源
Okay, so these are four superpowers that add up to one thing. 这就是把那四种超能力集中到一件事情上的例子
superpowers:n.超级大国;超能力;超级强权;(superpower的复数形式)
Gamers are super-empowered hopeful individuals . 游戏玩家们就是一个被高度授权、极具希望的群体
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
These are people who believe that they are individually capable of changing the world. 他们都认为自己具有改变世界的能力 他们都认为自己具有改变世界的能力
individually:adv.个别地,单独地;
And the only problem is that they believe that they are capable of changing virtual worlds and not the real world. 但问题是他们相信自己能改变的世界是 虚拟世界, 而不是现实世界
That's the problem that I'm trying to solve. 这正是我所努力去解决的难题
There is an economist named Edward Castronova. 有一位叫Edward Castronova的经济学家
His work is brilliant. He looks at why people are investing so much time and energy and money, in online worlds. 他的工作非常卓越。 他研究人们花费这么多时间、 精力和金钱在网络游戏里面的原因
And he says, "We're witnessing what amounts to no less than a mass exodus to virtual worlds and online game environments." 他说:“我们正在见证着大批的人 沉溺于虚拟世界 和网络游戏当中”
witnessing:v.当场看到,目击;是发生…的地点;见证;(witness的现在分词) no less than:不少于,多达…;正如; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; exodus:n.大批的离去;
And he's an economist. So, he's rational . 因为他是一位经济学家,所以他是理性的
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的;
And he says ... (Laughter) 他还说...(笑声)
Not like me -- I'm a game designer; I'm exuberant . 不像我,我只是一个游戏设计师,我充满了活力
exuberant:adj.繁茂的;生气勃勃的,充溢的;
But he says, that this makes perfect sense, because gamers can achieve more in online worlds than they can in real life. 他还说,玩游戏变得更有意义 因为游戏玩家在虚拟世界里得到了 比现实生活中更多的东西
They can have stronger social relationships in games than they can have in real life. 他们在游戏里可以拥有 比现实生活中更好的社会关系
They get better feedback and feel more rewarded in games than they do in real life. 玩家也可以获得比现实生活 中更好的回报以及成就感
rewarded:v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的过去分词和过去式)
So, he says for now it makes perfect sense for gamers to spend more time in virtual worlds than the real world. 因此,他说对于游戏玩家而言, 花费更多的时间在虚拟空间中比现实社会里更有意义
Now, I also agree that that is rational, for now. 现在我依然觉得这很理性
But it is not, by any means , an optimal situation. 但是,无论如何,这不是最佳选项
by any means:无论如何; optimal:adj.最佳的;最理想的;
We have to start making the real world more like a game. 我们不得不从现在开始把现实社会构建得像一个游戏
So, I take my inspiration from something that happened 2,500 years ago. 因此,我从发生于2500年前的 一些事情中获取灵感
These are ancient dice , made out of sheep's knuckles . Right? 这些是古老的骰子,由羊的关节骨制作而成
dice:n.骰子;色子;掷骰游戏;掷骰赌博;v.将(肉、菜等)切成小方块;将…切成丁; knuckles:n.指节; v.用指关节打(压,碰,擦); (knuckle的第三人称单数和复数)
Before we had awesome game controlers we had sheep's knuckles. 在我们设计出游戏控制器前 我们人类已经拥有了羊关节制作的骰子
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
And these represent the first game equipment designed by human beings. 这就是人类设计出的 最早的游戏器械
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
And if you're familiar with the work of the ancient Greek historian, 如果你对古希腊历史学家的作品比较熟悉的话
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
Herodotus, you might know this history. 如古希腊历史学家希罗多德,你就会了解这段历史
Which is the history of who invented games and why. 游戏发明的历史 是什么以及原因是什么呢
Herodotus says that games, particularly dice games were invented in the kingdom of Lydia during a time of famine . 希罗多德说游戏,特别是骰子游戏 是由Lydia(小亚细亚西部的富裕古国) 王国在一次大饥荒中发明的
famine:n.饥荒;
Apparently , there was such a severe famine, that the king of Lydia decided that they had to do something crazy. 显然,历史上曾经有过这么一次严重的饥荒 Lydia国王决定做一些他们不得不做的疯狂的事情
Apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上; severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的;
People were suffering. People were fighting. 当时人民在遭受痛苦,互相争斗
It was an extreme situation. They needed an extreme solution . 形式非常危机。 他们需要一个极端的解决方案
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
So, according to Herodotus, they invented dice games and they set up a kingdom-wide policy . 据希罗多德说,他们因此而发明了骰子游戏 并且制定了一个全国范围内的政策
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
On one day, everybody would eat. 某一天,所有人可以吃东西
And on the next day, everybody would play games. 但是第二天,所有人就只能玩游戏
And they would be so immersed in playing the dice games because games are so engaging , and immerse us in such satisfying blissful productivity, they would ignore the fact that they had no food to eat. 人们专心的玩骰子游戏 因为游戏极具吸引力 可以使我们沉浸在如此自我满足的幸福“生产”活动中 人们就会忘掉他们没有食物可吃的事实
immersed:adj.沉入的; v.浸没; (immerse的过去分词和过去式) engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词) ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
And then on the next day, they would play games. 第二天人们就会通过玩游戏度日
And on the next day they would eat. 接下来的第二天他们就会去吃东西
And according to Herodotus, they passed 18 years this way, surviving through a famine, by eating on one day, and playing games on the next. 据希罗多德所说 Lydia国的人民用这种方式度过了18年 用吃一天、玩游戏玩一天的方式 他们顺利的度过了大饥荒
Now, this is exactly, I think, how we're using games today. 这也是现如今我们 如何看待游戏的
We're using games to escape real-world suffering. 我们通过玩游戏逃避现实中的痛苦
We're using games to get away from everything that's broken in the real environment, everything that's not satisfying about real life, and we're getting what we need from games. 我们通过玩游戏来避开现实环境中那些 残缺不全、不能令人满意的东西 同时从中获取我们所需的东西
But it doesn't have to end there. 而这个过程可以实现永无止境
This is really exciting. 这是令人非常激动的
According to Herodotus, after 18 years the famine wasn't getting better, 据希罗多德所著,在18年后 大饥荒没有任何改善、变好的迹象
So, the king decided they would play one final dice game. 因此,国王决定全国人玩最后一次骰子游戏
They divided the entire kingdom in half. 他把全国人平均分成两组
They played one dice game, and the winners of that game got to go on an epic adventure . 他们一起玩一场骰子游戏 游戏的胜利一方将会踏上冒险的远征行程
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
They would leave Lydia, 他们将会离开Lydia
And they would go out in search of a new place to live, leaving behind just enough people to survive on the resources that were available, and hopefully to take the civilization somewhere else where they could thrive . 去寻找一个新地方居住 留下来的人则可以用 现存的资源度过饥荒 离开的人则肩负着传播、 兴旺文明的重担
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明; thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
Now, this sounds crazy, right? 这听起来很疯狂,难道不是吗?
But recently, DNA evidence has shown that the Etruscans, who lead to the Roman empire, actually share the same DNA as the ancient Lydians. 不过,最近DNA证据显示 罗马帝国的祖先——伊楚利亚人(Etruscans) 和古利迪亚人(Lydians) 拥有相同的基因
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; Roman:n.罗马人;古罗马语;adj.罗马的;罗马人的;
And so, recently, scientists have suggested that Herodotus's crazy story is actually true. 最近科学家们发现 希罗多德的疯狂故事在历史上确有其事
And geologists have found evidence of a global cooling that lasted for nearly 20 years that could have explained the famine. 地质学家也寻找到了证据 表明地球上曾经有过长达20年的全球降温 这就可以解释这次大饥荒的由来了
geologists:n.[地质]地质学家(geologist的复数形式);
So, this crazy story might be true. 因此,这个看似疯狂的故事兴许是真的
They might have actually saved their culture by playing games, escaping to games for 18 years and then been so inspired, and knew so much about how to come together with games, that they actually saved the entire civilization that way. 他们通过玩游戏保留了 他们的文化 并且在游戏中躲避现实长达18年 最终得以流传下来 他们早就参悟出了如何通过游戏把人聚到一起 也正是通过这种方式拯救了整个文明
Okay, we can do that. 我们也可以通过这种方式做到
We've been playing Warcraft since 1994. 人们从1994年开始就在玩魔兽了
That was the first real-time strategy game from the World of Warcraft series . That was 16 years ago. 这是魔兽世界系列里的第一款实时的战略游戏 而这就是16年前的事情
real-time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
They played dice games for 18 years, we've been playing Warcraft for 16 years. 古人玩骰子游戏长达18年 我们则玩魔兽16年
I say we are ready for our own epic game. 所以我断言,我们已经准备好去接受一个能改变我们生活的游戏了(史诗般的游戏)
Now, they had half the civilization go off in search of a new world. 古人通过所掌握的 二分之一的文明去寻找新世界
So, that's where I get my 21 billion hours a week of game-play from. 而我们现在则有每周长达210亿小时的玩游戏时间
Let's get half of us to agree to spend an hour a day playing games, until we solve real-world problems. 让我们中一半的人 每天玩游戏一小时 直至我们可以去解决现实生活中的问题
Now, I know you're asking, "How are we going to solve real world problems in games?" Well, that's what I have devoted my work to over the past few years, at The Institute For The Future. 你可能会问,“我们在游戏中如何解决现实中的问题呢?” 这也是我在过去的几年中积极投身 我从事的工作的原因 我工作的地方叫“未来研究所”
devoted:adj.专心致志; v.献身; (devote的过去分词和过去式)
We have this banner in our offices in Palo Alto , and it expresses our view of how we should try to relate to the future. 这是我们在帕洛阿尔托办公室里的广告 它给出了我们关于如何看待未来的观点
banner:n.横幅;adj.为首的;(美)突出地支持(某一政党)的; Alto:n.女低音;男声最高音;中音乐器;adj.中音部的; expresses:表达(express的动词单数第三人称形式);[交]快车;快递(express的名词复数);
We do not want to try to predict the future. 我们不会试着去预言未来
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
What we want to do is make the future. 但,我们会创造未来
We want to imagine the best case scenario outcome 我们曾经设想过最好情况的结果
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
And then we want to empower people to make that outcome a reality. 然后,我们想通过努力 让人们将那个设想变成现实
empower:vt.授权,允许;使能够;
We want to imaging epic wins, and then give people the means to achieve the epic win. 我们渴望史诗般的胜利 同时也给予人们实现胜利的途径
imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式)
I'm just going to very briefly show you three games that I've made that are an attempt to give people the means to create epic wins in their own futures. 我想给大家简短的介绍三款我做的游戏 他们都是一些尝试, 尝试着给未来的人们能创造属于自己的史诗般的胜利,提供一些方法
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地; attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
So, this is World Without Oil. 这是《无油世界》
We made this game in 2007. 这款游戏制作于2007年
This is an online game in which you try to survive an oil shortage . 这是一款网络游戏, 它让你在石油短缺的时候设法生存
shortage:n.短缺;不足;缺少;
The oil shortage is fictional , but we put enough online content out there for you to believe that it's real, and to live your real life as if we've run out of oil. So, when you come to the game you sign up, you tell us where you live. 石油短缺是虚构的 但是我们会投入很多的内容在里面 你就会认为那是真的,并且这会影响你的现实生活 让你感觉我们已经没有石油可用了。因此,当你打开游戏 注册,并告诉我们你的居住地
fictional:adj.虚构的;小说的; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; run out of:用完;
And then we give you real-time news videos data feeds that show you exactly how much oil costs, what's not available, how food supply is being affected, how transportation is being affected, if schools are closed, if their is rioting . 我们就会给你实时的新闻视频数据 精确地告诉你石油的成本 精确地告诉你石油的成本 什么是不可用,食物供应是如何受到影响的 运输是如何受到影响的 并且会告诉你学校是否被关闭,哪里里发生了骚乱
transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放; rioting:v.发生骚乱;闹事;(riot的现在分词)
And you have to figure out how you would live your real life as if this were true. And then we ask you to blog about it, to post videos, to post photos. 如果这一切都是真的,你就会找出如何处理现实生活中的这些问题的方法 我们会要求你将这些东西发布到博客上 上传视频或者照片
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志;
We piloted this game with 1,700 players in 2007. 在2007年,有1700人参加了这款游戏的测试
And we've tracked them for the three years since. 我们跟踪了这些测试者接下来三年的生活
tracked:v.跟踪;追踪;(track的过去分词和过去式)
And I can tell you that this is a transformative experience. 我可以告诉诸位的是这是一段极具改造作用的经历
transformative:adj.变化的,变形的;有改革能力的;
Nobody wants to change how they live just because it's good for the world, or because we are supposed to. 没有人希望改变他们的生活方式 或者是因为他们觉得对环境无损,或者是因为他们觉得这顺理成章
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
But if you immerse them in an epic adventure and tell them, "We've run out of oil." 但是,如果你让他们着沉浸于一个异乎寻常的经历当中 并且告诉他们,“我们已经耗尽我们的石油。”
This is an amazing story and adventure for you to go on. 这将是你听说的一个美妙的故事和异乎寻常的经历
Challenge yourself to see how you would survive. 挑战自己,看看你将如何生存
Most of our players have kept up the habits that they learned in this game. 大部分的游戏玩家保留了他们在游戏中形成的习惯 大部分的游戏玩家保留了他们在游戏中形成的习惯
So, for the next world-saving game, we decided to aim higher, bigger problem than just peak oil. 在接下来的一款拯救世界的游戏里 我们的选择的问题比石油短缺变得更难、更大
peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的;
We did a game called Superstruct at The Institute For The Future. 我们在“未来研究所”做了一个叫 Superstruct 的游戏 我们在“未来研究所”做了一个叫 Superstruct 的游戏
And the premise was, a supercomputer has calculated that humans have only 23 years left on the planet. 这个游戏的假设是, 超级计算机经过计算发现人类在地球上只剩下23年的生存时间了
premise:n.前提;假定;v.假定;预述(条件等);引导(论述等);; supercomputer:n.[计]巨型计算机,超级计算机;
This supercomputer was called the Global Extinction 这台超级计算机被称作:
Extinction:n.绝种;
Awareness System, of course. 全球灭绝预测系统
Awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
We asked people to come online almost like a Jerry Bruckheimer movie. 人们在游戏中就像是处在 杰里.布鲁克海默的电影里
You know Jerry Bruckheimer movies, you form a dream team . 大家都知道杰里.布鲁克海默的电影,你组织一个梦之队(精悍的小分队)
dream team:n.梦之队;最佳阵容;最佳组合;
You've got the astronaut, the scientist, the ex-convict , and they all have something to do to save the world. 你的小分队成员里有宇航员、科学家、曾经的罪犯 他们各自有一些拯救世界的本领
ex-convict:n.从前曾被判刑的人;[法]前科犯;
(Laughter) 笑声
But in our game, instead of just having five people on the dream team, we said everybody is on the dream team, and it's your job to invent the future of energy, the future of food, the future of health, the future of security and the future of the social safety net . 在我们设计的游戏里,我们没有采用五人小组模式 我们设计成了人人都可以是这个精英小分队的一员 你的职责就是开发 未来的能源、食物、医疗保健、 安全体制和全社会安全的网络
safety net:n.安全保障;为防止人摔落而设置的安全网;
We had 8,000 people play that game for eight weeks. 我们有8000人玩这个游戏,玩了有8周
They came up with 500 insanely creative solutions that you can go online, if you Google "Superstruct", and see. 他们总结出了500条疯狂但是极具创造力的解决方案 如果你能上网,登陆Google搜索关键字 Superstruct ,你就能看到结果
insanely:adv.疯狂地;狂暴地;精神错乱地; creative:adj.创造性的; Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
So, finally, the last game, 最后一个游戏
We're launching it March 3rd. This is a game done with the World Bank Institute. 我们将会在三月三日将其上线。这个游戏是与世界银行学院合作完成的
launching:n.发射;开办;起飞;v.开始从事,发起,发动;(launch的现在分词) World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构);
If you complete the game you will be certified by the World Bank Institute, as a Social Innovator , class of 2010. 如果你能完成这个游戏, 你将会获得世界银行学院的认证 成为2010届社会创新者
certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词) Innovator:n.改革者,创新者;
Working with universities all over sub-Saharan Africa, 通过与撒哈拉以南非洲各地的大学的合作
sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
And we are inviting them to learn social innovation skills. 我们正在邀请他们参加社会创新能力的学习
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
We've got a graphic novel . We've got leveling up in skills like local insight , knowledge networking, sustainability , vision , and resourcefulness . 游戏更像一本漫画小说。 我们有关于各项技能的均衡,像深刻的洞察力、知识网络、 可持续性、远见和机智等
graphic novel:n.连环画小说;漫画小说; insight:n.洞察力;洞悉; sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; resourcefulness:n.足智多谋;
I would like to invite all of you to please share this game with young people, anywhere in the world, particularly in developing areas, who might benefit from coming together to try to start to imagine their own social enterprises to save the world. 我诚挚的邀请诸位能 把这个游戏分享给年轻人 无论在世界何处,特别是那些发展中的地区 这个游戏可以把人们集中到一起,让他们开始设想他们自己的社会企业去拯救世界 人们肯定可以从这个游戏中 获得灵感(受益)
So, I'm going to wrap up now. 我就要结束我的演讲了
wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾;
I want to ask a question. 我想问一个问题
What do you think happens next? 将来会发生什么?
We've got all these amazing gamers, we've got these games that are kind of pilots of what we might do, but none of them have saved the real world yet. 我们拥有这么多优秀的游戏玩家 我们玩的这些游戏里就含有可能是我们未来所要做的事情的试验 但没有任何事情曾拯救过现实世界
Well I hope that you will agree with me that gamers are a human resource that we can use to do real-world work, that games are a powerful platform for change. 我希望大家能同意我的观点 即,游戏玩家是一个巨大的人力资源库 我们可以让他们去完成现实世界的工作 正因为如此,游戏是一个有效的变革平台
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
We have all these amazing superpowers, blissful productivity, the ability to weave a tight social fabric, this feeling of urgent optimism, and the desire for epic meaning. 我们拥有这些美妙的超能力、 幸福的生产力、 组织严密社会结构的能力 以及紧急乐观和对史诗意义的渴望
weave:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);n.织法;编法;编织式样;
I really hope that we can come together to play games that matter, to survive on this planet for another century. 我真诚的希望我们能一起来玩那些好的游戏 籍此在接下来的一个世纪里能生存在这个星球上
And that's my hope that you will join me in making and playing games like this. 我希望大家能加入到我们当中来, 去制作或者是支持这样的游戏
When I look forward to the next decade, 当我期待着下一个十年时
look forward to:盼望,期待;
I know two things for sure, that we can make any future we can imagine, and we can play any games we want. 我对两件事情非常肯定 首先,我们能创造出任何我们所能想象出的未来 其次,我们可以玩任何我们想玩的游戏
So, I say let the world-changing games begin. 让我们从游戏着手改变这个世界
Thank you. 谢谢大家
(Applause) 掌声