|
|
JaneChen_2009I-_拯救生命的温暖怀抱_
|
Please close your eyes, and open your hands. |
请闭上眼睛 打开双手 |
Now imagine what you could place in your hands: an apple, maybe your wallet. |
想象下,你们的手中可以放些什么? 一只苹果?或者钱包? |
Now open your eyes. |
请睁开眼睛. |
What about a life? |
你曾否想过一个生命? |
What you see here is a premature baby. |
这是一个早产儿。 |
premature:adj.早产的;不成熟的;比预期早的;n.早产儿;过早发生的事物;
|
He looks like he's resting peacefully , but in fact he's struggling to stay alive because he can't regulate his own body temperature. |
看起来,他似乎在安睡,但实际上,他正与死神作斗争。 因为他无法调节自己的体温。 |
peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地; regulate:v.调节;控制;
|
This baby is so tiny he doesn't have enough fat on his body to stay warm. |
这个婴儿实在太小了, 他没有足够的脂肪来维持体温。 |
Sadly, 20 million babies like this are born every year, around the world. |
很悲哀...每年都有两千万这样的婴儿 诞生在世界上。 |
Four million of these babies die annually . |
其中的四百万无法存活。 |
annually:adv.每年;一年一次;
|
But the bigger problem is that the ones who do survive grow up with severe , long-term health problems. |
但更严重的问题是,如果他们侥幸存活 一些慢性病将伴随他们一生。 |
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
|
The reason is because in the first month of a baby's life, its only job is to grow. |
因为在婴儿诞生的第一个月 他们唯一要做的就是成长。 |
If it's battling hypothermia , its organs can't develop normally , resulting in a range of health problems from diabetes , to heart disease , to low I.Q. |
如果体温不稳定,器官不能正常发育 随之而来的,就是一连串健康问题 如糖尿病,心脏病, 或弱智。 |
hypothermia:n.降低体温;低体温症; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数); normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; diabetes:n.糖尿病;多尿症; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
Imagine, many of these problems could be prevented if these babies were just kept warm. |
想象下,这些问题本可避免 只要能让婴儿保暖。 |
That is the primary function of an incubator . |
给婴儿保暖是恒温箱的主要功能。 |
incubator:n.[禽]孵卵器;[儿科]保温箱;早产儿保育器;细菌培养器;
|
But traditional incubators require electricity and cost up to 20 thousand dollars. |
但传统的恒温箱需要电源 且售价高达2万美元。 |
traditional:传统的,惯例的, incubators:n.育成中心;培养器;[禽]孵化员(incubator的复数); electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
So, you're not going to find them in rural areas of developing countries. |
在发展中国家的偏远地区,恒温箱根本不存在。 |
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
As a result , parents resort to local solutions like tying hot water bottles around their babies bodies, or placing them under light bulbs like the ones you see here -- methods that are both ineffective and unsafe . |
因此,父母们只能就地取材, 如在早产儿身体周围绑上热水壶 或如你们所看的这张图,将早产儿放在灯泡下-- 这些方法效果差,且不安全。 |
As a result:结果; resort:n.度假胜地;诉诸;采取;旅游胜地;v.去;凭藉; bulbs:n.[电]灯泡;[植]鳞茎;大浇斗(bulb的复数); ineffective:adj.无效的,失效的;不起作用的; unsafe:adj.不安全的;危险的;不安稳的;
|
I've seen this firsthand over and over again . |
我多次亲眼目睹这些惨剧。 |
firsthand:adj.直接的;直接采购的;直接得来的;adv.直接地; over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
|
On one of my first trips to India, I met this young woman, Sevitha, who had just given birth to a tiny premature baby, Rani . |
头几次去印度时,我遇到了这样一位年轻的女性,Sevitha, 她刚刚诞下了一个瘦小的早产儿,Rani。 |
Rani:n.王妃;王侯夫人;
|
She took her baby to the nearest village clinic , and the doctor advised her to take Rani a city hospital so she could be placed in an incubator. |
她带着孩子去了村子里最近的诊所, 医生建议她带Rani去市区的医院 把Rani放在恒温箱里。 |
clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间; advised:adj.考虑过的; v.劝告; (advise的过去分词和过去式)
|
But that hospital was over four hours away. |
但去医院要花四个多小时。 |
And Sevitha didn't have the means to get there, so her baby died. |
Sevitha没办法去, 于是,她的宝贝走了。 |
Inspired by this story, and dozens of other similar stories like this, my team and I realized what was needed was a local solution , something that could work without electricity, |
由这个故事,及其他类似的故事中受到启发, 我和我的团队意识到,必须要有一个能够就地取材的办法, 一个可不插电的工具, |
Inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
that was simple enough for a mother or a midwife to use, given that the majority of births still take place in the home. |
简单易用,不会难倒母亲和产婆, 因为大多数的婴儿仍然是在家中被接生的。 |
midwife:n.助产士;促成因素;vt.助胎儿出生;促成; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: take place:发生;举行;
|
We needed something that was portable , something that could be sterilized and reused across multiple babies, and something ultra-low-cost, compared to the 20,000 dollars that an incubator in the U.S. costs. |
这个工具需方便携带, 能够被消毒,并给不同的婴儿重复使用, 价格得极其便宜, 远低于两万美元, 这就是我们要设计的恒温箱。 |
portable:adj.便携式的;手提的;轻便的;n.便携机;(尤指)手提电脑; sterilized:v.灭菌;消毒;使绝育;(sterilize的过去分词和过去式) multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
|
So, this is what we came up with. |
这就是我们的成果。 |
What you see here looks nothing like an incubator. |
它看起来一点也不像个恒温箱。 |
It looks like a small sleeping bag for a baby. |
反似婴儿用的睡袋。 |
sleeping bag:n.睡袋;
|
You can open it up completely. It's waterproof . |
你可以把它完全打开。它是防水的。 |
waterproof:adj.防水的,不透水的;v.使防水;n.防水材料;
|
There is no seams inside so you can sterilize it very easily. |
无缝设计,便于消毒。 |
seams:n.缝合线(seam的复数);缝合处;v.焊接(seam的三单形式);用线缝接;
|
But the magic is in this pouch of wax . |
但神奇的地方就在这一包蜡里。 |
pouch:n.小袋;育儿袋;烟草袋;vi.成袋状;vt.使成袋状;把…装入袋中; wax:n.蜡; v.给…打蜡; adj.蜡制的;
|
This is a phase-change material. |
这是一种渐变性材料。 |
It's a wax-like substance with a melting point of human body temperature, 37 degrees Celsius . |
形似蜡,融点为人体体温 37摄氏度。 |
substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品; melting point:n.熔点; Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度;
|
You can melt this simply using hot water and then when it melts it's able to maintain one constant temperature for four to six hours at a time, after which you simply reheat the pouch. |
用热水就可以把它融化 当它融化时,它将保持恒定的温度 每次维持4到6小时, 之后,你可以对包囊再加热。 |
melts:n.[冶]熔体(melt的复数);v.熔化(melt的第三人称单数形式); maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); reheat:vt.再热;将…重新加热;n.再热(炉);
|
So, you then place it into this little pocket back here, and it creates a warm micro-environment for the baby. |
将它放在背后的小口袋里, 它会为婴儿营造 一个温暖的小环境。 |
Looks simple, but we've reiterated this dozens of times by going into the field to talk to doctors, moms and clinicians , to ensure that this really meets the needs of the local communities . |
看似简单,但我们为此多次 造访当地的医生,母亲,诊所 以确保它能满足当地的要求。 |
reiterated:反复的;重复的; clinicians:临床医生(clinician的名词复数); ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
We plan to launch this product in India in 2010. |
我们计划于2010年在印度投放该产品。 |
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射;
|
And the target price point will be 25 dollars, less than 0.1 percent of the cost of a traditional incubator. |
目标价格定为每只25美元, 不到传统恒温箱 价格的0.1%。 |
Over the next five years we hope to save the lives of almost a million babies. |
在接下来的五年, 我们希望能够救助一百万名婴儿。 |
But the longer-term social impact is a reduction in population growth. |
但它长期的社会影响是降低人口增长。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
|
This seems counter-intuitive , but turns out that as infant mortality is reduced population sizes also decrease , because parents don't need to anticipate that their babies are going to die. |
听起来似乎有违常理, 但只要婴儿的死亡率降低, 人口也将减少, 因为父母们不用担心孩子会过早夭折 而生更多的孩子。 |
counter-intuitive:adj.反直觉的;违反语感的; infant:n.婴儿;幼儿;未成年人;adj.婴儿的;幼稚的;初期的;未成年的; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运; decrease:v.降低;减少;缩小;减弱;n.减少;减小量;所减少的总量;减缩位置; anticipate:v.预期,期望;占先,抢先;提前使用;
|
We hope that the Embrace infant warmer and other simple innovations like this represent a new trend for the future of technology : simple, localized , affordable solutions that have the potential to make huge social impact. |
我们希望这款 温暖的拥抱 以及其他类似的小创新 能代表未来科技的趋势: 简约化,本土化,经济化, 这将对社会产生巨大影响力。 |
Embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括; innovations:n.创新(innovation的复数);改革; represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; localized:adj.局部的;地区的;小范围的;v.定位(localize的过去分词); affordable:adj.负担得起的; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
|
In designing this we followed a few basic principles . |
在设计中,我们遵循了一些基本的法则。 |
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
|
We really tried to understand the end user, in this case, people like Sevitha. |
我们急用户之所急,想用户之所想, 了解Sevitha他们的需求。 |
We try to understand the root of the problem rather than being biased by what already exists. |
我们努力挖掘问题的根源 不受表面现象的影响。 |
biased:adj.有偏见的;结果偏倚的,有偏的;
|
And then we thought of the most simple solution we could to address this problem. |
我们希望寻找最简单的方法 来解决问题。 |
In doing this, I believe we can truly bring technology to the masses . |
这样一来,我相信科技必将造福于大众。 |
masses:n.民众;大量(mass的复数);包块;v.集中;聚集(mass的三单形式);
|
And we can save millions of lives, through the simple warmth of an Embrace. |
通过简单的 温暖的拥抱 ,我们可以拯救许多生命。 |