返回首页

JamesStavridis_2012G-_北约的最高长官如何看待全球安全_

I'm gonna talk a little bit about open-source security, because we've got to get better at security in this 21st century. 我将要介绍一些开放式安全性问题, 因为我们在21世纪已经离安全 越来越近了。
open-source:adj.(计算机)开放源代码;
Let me start by saying, let's look back to the 20th century, and kind of get a sense of how that style of security worked for us. 我们先回顾一下20世纪吧, 然后我们就能了解安全这个概念是如何 为我们而工作。
This is Verdun, a battlefield in France just north of the NATO headquarters in Belgium. 这里是Verdun,一个法国的战场, 就在北约在比利时总部的北边。
battlefield:n.战场;沙场;斗争的领域;容易引发冲突的情况 NATO:abbr.(=theNorthAtlanticTreatyOrganization)[组]北约; headquarters:n.总部;指挥部;司令部;
At Verdun, in 1916, over a 300-day period, 700,000 people were killed, so about 2,000 a day. 1916年,在Verdun这个战场上, 700000人在300天内被杀了, 那就是差不多2000人一天。
If you roll it forward -- 20th-century security -- into the Second World War, you see the Battle of Stalingrad, 300 days, 2 million people killed. 咱们继续往前看--20世纪的安全-- 看到二战, 我们看得到在斯大林格勒保卫战, 300天内有二百万人战死。
We go into the Cold War, and we continue to try and build walls. 进入冷战,我们继续 建造围墙。
We go from the trench warfare of the First World War to the Maginot Line of the Second World War, and then we go into the Cold War, the Iron Curtain , the Berlin Wall. 我们从一战的壕沟, 到二战的马其顿防线, 再到冷战中的 铁幕,柏林墙。
trench:n.沟,沟渠;战壕;堑壕;vt.掘沟;vi.挖战壕;侵害; warfare:n.战争;冲突; First World War:n.第一次世界大战(1914至1918年间,主战场在欧洲); Iron Curtain:n.铁幕(指昔日西欧与中东欧共产党执政国家之间想象的屏障);
Walls don't work. 墙不管用。
My thesis for us today is, instead of building walls to create security, we need to build bridges . 所以我今天的主题是为了完成“安全”这个目标, 我们不建造墙,而建造桥。
thesis:n.论文;论点; build bridges:建立桥梁;构建桥梁;建立纽带;
This is a famous bridge in Europe. 在欧洲有一个很著名的桥。
It's in Bosnia-Herzegovina. 它在波黑。
It's the bridge over the Drina River, the subject of a novel by Ivo Andri?, and it talks about how, in that very troubled part of Europe and the Balkans, over time there's been enormous building of walls. 它在Drina河上, 是作家Ivo Andric的一个小说的主题, 这部小说讲述了 如何在欧洲和巴尔干地区最动荡的部分 大量的墙被筑起。
bridge over:在…上架桥;渡过;暂时帮助; novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
More recently , in the last decade, we begin to see these communities start, hesitatingly, to come together. 而最近,也就是在近十年,我们开始看到 这些地区开始,尽管有些犹豫不决, 逐渐融合在一起。
recently:adv.最近;新近; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
I would argue, again, open-source security is about connecting the international, the interagency , the private-public, and lashing it together with strategic communication, largely in social networks. 我想再次重申,开放式安全 是关于联系国际的不同地区的, 跨部门的,私人的和公共的, 并且把它们通过战略性沟通, 在社交网上联系在一起。
interagency:adj.跨部门的;部门之间的; lashing:n.大量,许多;鞭打;笞刑;v.猛击;鞭打;抽打;怒斥(lash的现在分词) strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的; largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地;
So let me talk a little bit about why we need to do that, because our global commons is under attack in a variety of ways, and none of the sources of threat to the global commons will be solved by building walls. 所以,接下来我将说一些为什么我们需要那么做, 因为我们的共同目标正在受到威胁, 而且是多方面的, 同时没有一种威胁 能被通过筑墙隔离解决。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
Now, I'm a sailor, obviously. 现在,很明显我是一个水手。
This is a ship, a liner , clipping through the Indian Ocean. 有一个船在印度洋上航行。
liner:n.班轮,班机;衬垫;画线者; clipping:n.剪下物;v.夹住;别住;被夹住;修剪;碰撞;(clip的现在分词)
What's wrong with this picture? 这个照片有什么问题吗?
It's got concertina wire along the sides of it. 在这个船上有蛇网环绕。
concertina:n.类似风琴的六角形乐器;
That's to prevent pirates from attacking it. 这是用来抵御海盗的。
Piracy is a very active threat today around the world. This is in the Indian Ocean. 海盗现在是一个非常主要的全球威胁。 这是只是在印度洋。
Piracy:n.海盗行为;剽窃;著作权侵害;非法翻印;
Piracy is also very active in the Strait of Malacca. 海盗依然在马六甲海峡很猖狂,
Strait:adj.狭窄的;苦恼的;n.海峡;困境;
It's active in the Gulf of Guinea . 也在几内亚湾,
Gulf:n.海湾;深渊;分歧;漩涡;vt.吞没; Guinea:n.几内亚;基尼(英国旧时金币名);
We see it in the Caribbean . 在加勒比海地区。
Caribbean:adj.加勒比海的;加勒比人的;加勒比语的;n.加勒比海;
It's a $10-billion-a-year discontinuity in the global transport system. 它在全球交通运输中每年造成了一百亿美元的 损失。
discontinuity:n.不连续;中断;间断性;断绝; transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放;
Last year, at this time, there were 20 vessels , 500 mariners held hostage . 在去年的此刻,有20艘船, 500名船员被绑架为人质。
vessels:n.血管(vessel的复数);船舶;容器; mariners:n.[水运]水手;西雅图水手; hostage:n.人质;抵押品;
This is an attack on the global commons. 这是一个对全球共同利益的威胁。
We need to think about how to address it. 我们需要想出解决办法。
Let's shift to a different kind of sea, the cyber sea. 现在让我们转到另一种海洋, 网络的海洋。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; cyber:adj.网络的,计算机的;
Here are photographs of two young men. 这里有两个年轻人的照片。
At the moment, they're incarcerated . 在此刻,他们被监禁着。
incarcerated:v.监禁;关押;禁闭;(incarcerate的过去式和过去分词)
They conducted a credit card fraud that netted them over 10 billion dollars. 他们做了一个信用卡诈骗案, 并且牟利超过一百亿美元。
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) credit card:n.[经]信用卡; fraud:n.欺骗;骗子;诡计;
This is part of cybercrime which is a $2-trillion-a-year discontinuity in the global economy . 这只是对全球经济造成两万亿美元损失的 网络犯罪的一部分。
cybercrime:n.网路犯罪; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
Two trillion a year. 两万亿每年。
trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿;
That's just under the GDP of Great Britain . 这仅低于英国的国民生产总值(GDP).
Great Britain:n.大不列颠(包括英格兰、苏格兰和威尔士);
So this cyber sea, which we know endlessly is the fundamental piece of radical openness , is very much under threat as well. 所以网络世界,一个我们深知 是由最根本的开放组成的地方, 正在受到威胁。
endlessly:adv.不断地;无穷尽地; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真;
Another thing I worry about in the global commons is the threat posed by trafficking, by the movement of narcotics , opium , here coming out of Afghanistan through Europe over to the United States. 另一个我要担心的是 由于物流造成的威胁, 也就是麻醉剂,鸦片等毒品 从阿富汗穿过欧洲 到达美国的整个一条运输线。
posed:v.造成;引起;产生;提问;质询;摆好姿势;(pose的过去分词和过去式) narcotics:n.麻醉剂(narcotic的复数);麻醉毒品; opium:n.鸦片;麻醉剂;adj.鸦片的; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
We worry about cocaine coming from the Andean Ridge north. 我们担心从Andean Ridge(地名)北部 运过来的可卡因。
cocaine:n.[药]可卡因;
We worry about the movement of illegal weapons and trafficking. Above all, perhaps, we worry about human trafficking, and the awful cost of it. 我们担心非法武器的运输。 但最重要的是, 我们担心人力的运输,以及它的成本。
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
Trafficking moves largely at sea but in other parts of the global commons. 大多数运输是通过海洋的 但也通过我们的共同利益。
This is a photograph, and I wish I could tell you that this is a very high-tech piece of US Navy gear that we're using to stop the trafficking. 这是一张照片, 通过它我想告诉你这是一个非常高科技的美国海军武器 用来阻止物流的发生。
high-tech:adj.高科技的,高技术的;仿真技术的;n.高科技; Navy:n.海军;深蓝色的; gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
The bad news is, this is a semi-submersible run by drug cartels . 但坏消息是, 这是一个贩毒组织的半潜水的设备。
cartels:n.卡特尔;联合企业(cartel的复数);
It was built in the jungles of South America . 它在南美热带雨林中被建造,
South America:n.南美洲;
We caught it with that low-tech raft — (Laughter) — and it was carrying six tons of cocaine. 我们通过没有科技含量的筏子逮捕了它,(笑声) 而它正装载着六吨的可卡因,
low-tech:adj.低技术的; raft:n.筏;救生艇;(美)大量;vt.筏运;制成筏;vi.乘筏;
Crew of four. Sophisticated communications sweep. 四个船员,精良的设备。
Sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
This kind of trafficking, in narcotics, in humans, in weapons, 这种运送麻醉剂,人和武器
God forbid , in weapons of mass destruction , is part of the threat to the global commons. 上帝禁止的,大规模杀伤性武器 就是我们共同利益的威胁的一部分。
forbid:v.禁止;不准;不允许;(正式)严禁; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
And let's pull it together in Afghanistan today. 现在让我们完整的看一下阿富汗的今天。
This is a field of poppies in Afghanistan. 在阿富汗有一片罂粟花的,
poppies:n.罂粟花(poppy的复数形式);
Eighty to 90 percent of the world's poppy , opium and heroin , comes out of Afghanistan. 全世界80%到90%的罂粟花, 鸦片和海洛因来自阿富汗。
poppy:n.罂粟花;罂粟属植物;深红色;adj.罂粟科的; heroin:n.[药][毒物]海洛因,吗啡;
We also see there, of course, terrorism . 当然,我们也看到了恐怖组织。
terrorism:n.恐怖主义;
This is where al Qaeda is staged from. 这就是基地组织建立的地方。
We also see a very strong insurgency embedded there. 我们看到了这里有一个很不稳定的局势。
insurgency:n.叛乱;暴动;叛乱状态; embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式);
So this terrorism concern is also part of the global commons, and what we must address. 所以恐怖组织也是我们 面临的威胁的一部分,也是我们必须解决的。
concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
So here we are, 21st century. 所以,在21世纪,
We know our 20th-century tools are not going to work. 我们知道我们20世纪的方法不管用。
What should we do? 我们该怎么办?
I would argue that we will not deliver security solely from the barrel of a gun. 我想说我们不能仅仅通过 枪支来保障安全。
solely:adv.单独地,唯一地; barrel:n.桶;枪管;一桶(的量);v.飞驰;
We will not deliver security solely from the barrel of a gun. 我们不能仅仅依靠枪支,
We will need the application of military force. 我们需要军事力量的综合应用。
application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
When we do it, we must do it well, and competently . 当我们使用时,我们就必须使用好。
competently:adv.胜任地;适合地;
But my thesis is, open-source security is about international, interagency, private-public connection pulled together by this idea of strategic communication on the Internet. 但我所要说的是,开放式安全是关于国际的, 跨部门的,私人和公共的联系, 通过互联网沟通而建立的。
Let me give you a couple of examples of how this works in a positive way. 让我讲一个例子。
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
This is Afghanistan. These are Afghan soldiers. 我们有阿富汗,有阿富汗的士兵,
They are all holding books. 他们都拿着书。
You should say, "That's odd . I thought I read that this demographic , young men and women in their 20s and 30s, is largely illiterate in Afghanistan." 你可能会说“这真奇怪,我想我曾读到过 在这个地区绝大多数20,30多岁的年轻人 都是不识字的。”
odd:adj.古怪的;奇数的;n.奇数; demographic:adj.人口统计学的;人口学的; illiterate:adj.文盲的;不识字的;没受教育的;n.文盲;
You would be correct. 你也许是对的。
Eighty-five percent cannot read when they enter the security forces of Afghanistan. 当他们进入安全部队的时候, 85%是不识字的。
Why? Because the Taliban withheld education during the period of time in which these men and women would have learned to read. 为什么?因为塔利班 在这些人该学习的时候不提供 教育。
Taliban:塔利班; withheld:v.拒绝给:抑制;忍住(withhold的过去分词和过去式)
So the question is, so, why are they all standing there holding books? 所以问题是, 为什么他们手里拿着书站在那里?
The answer is, we are teaching them to read in literacy courses by NATO in partnership with private sector entities , in partnership with development agencies . 答案是,我们在叫他们阅读, 通过北约组织的课程, 通过和私人组织的合作, 通过和发展署的合作。
literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学; partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; private sector:n.(国家经济的)私营部分; entities:n.实体;存在(entity的复数形式);字符实体; agencies:n.代理;代理处(agency的复数);
We've taught well over 200,000 Afghan Security Forces to read and write at a basic level. 我们已经教了超过200000的阿富汗安全部队士兵 来进行最基本的读写。
When you can read and write in Afghanistan, you will typically put a pen in your pocket. 当你能读和写的时候, 你就会在你的口袋里放一支笔。
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地;
At the ceremonies, when these young men and women graduate, they take that pen with great pride, and put it in their pocket. 在毕业典礼上,当这些人毕业时, 他们很骄傲的拿出笔, 并放在他们的口袋里。
This is bringing together international — there are 50 nations involved in this mission — interagency — these development agencies — and private-public, to take on this kind of security. 这个举动把全世界 ——有五十个国家—— 跨部门的力量 私人和公共资源都联系到了一起,来进行这种安全的建立。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
Now, we are also teaching them combat skills, of course, but I would argue, open-source security means connecting in ways that create longer lasting security effect. 现在,我们当然也教他们格斗技巧, 但我想说,开放式安全 意味着为创造更持久的安全 而联系各个力量。
combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
Here's another example. 这里是另一个例子。
This is a US Navy warship . 这是一个美国海军战舰。
warship:n.战船,[军]军舰;
It's called the Comfort. 叫做Comfort(安慰)号。
There's a sister ship called the Mercy . 他有一个姊妹舰,叫做Mercy(仁慈)号。
Mercy:n.仁慈,宽容;怜悯;幸运;善行;
They are hospital ships. 他们是友好的战舰。
This one, the Comfort, operates throughout the Caribbean and the coast of South America conducting patient treatments . 安慰号在 加勒比海和南美洲的海岸 进行病人的治疗。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; conducting:v.组织;安排;实施;指挥;引导;导游(conduct的现在分词) patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; treatments:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;(treatment的复数)
On a typical cruise , they'll do 400,000 patient treatments. 通常,他会进行400000个治疗,
cruise:v.巡航;乘船游览;慢速行驶,巡行;猎艳;n.航行;乘船游览;
It is crewed not strictly by military but by a combination of humanitarian organizations : 船员不是严格的部队人员, 而是很多人道主义组织,
combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
Operation Hope, Project Smile. 比如“希望项目”,“微笑工程”。
Other organizations send volunteers . 其他组织送来志愿者。
volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数)
Interagency physicians come out. 其他部门的医生也来了。
physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数);
They're all part of this. 他们都是这个项目的一部分。
To give you one example of the impact this can have, this little boy, eight years old, walked with his mother two days to come to the eye clinic put on by the Comfort. 举个例子来说明这个项目的影响力, 这个小孩,8岁, 和他的妈妈走了两天 来到安慰号上的眼科诊所。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
When he was fitted, over his extremely myopic eyes, he suddenly looked up and said, "Mama, veo el mundo." 当他被治好他的重度近视是, 他突然抬头,然后说: “Mama, veo el mundo.(当地语言)”
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; myopic:adj.近视的;目光短浅的;
'"Mom, I see the world." “妈妈,我看到世界了。”
Multiply this by 400,000 patient treatments, this private-public collaboration with security forces, and you begin to see the power of creating security in a very different way. 把这个乘以400000,也就是治疗数目, 这个私人和公共的合作,同时融合了安全力量的项目, 开始显现它的力量, 来以一个很不同的方式创造安全。
Multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
Here you see baseball players. 这张照片是棒球运动员。
Can you pick out the two US Army soldiers in this photograph? 你能在其中找出 两名美国部队的士兵吗?
They are the two young men on either side of these young boys. This is part of a series of baseball clinics , where we have explored collaboration between Major League Baseball, the Department of State, who sets up the diplomatic piece of this, military baseball players, who are real soldiers with real skills but participate in this mission, and they put on clinics throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, in Honduras, in Nicaragua , 他们是每侧最边上的两位。 这是棒球诊所的一部分, 在这里我们尝试 棒球联赛, 国务院, (它建起了外交基础) 在军队中的棒球运动员, 也就是那些能真正上战场的人,之间的合作, 并且他们把这种诊所 开到了拉丁美洲和加勒比地区, 开到了洪都拉斯,开到了尼加拉瓜,
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; clinics:n.诊所(clinic的复数形式); explored:v.探索;勘探;考察;探险;(explore的过去式和过去分词) Major League:adj.第一流的;职业体育总会的; diplomatic:adj.外交的;从事外交的;有手腕的;灵活变通的; participate:v.参加;参与; Latin America:n.拉丁美洲(以西班牙语或葡萄牙语为主要语言的美洲地区); Nicaragua:n.尼加拉瓜(拉丁美洲一国家);
in all of the Central American and Caribbean nations where baseball is so popular, and it creates security. 开到了所有中美洲和加勒比的 棒球很流行国家, 而且它创造了安全感。
It shows role models to young men and women about fitness and about life that I would argue help create security for us. 他为年轻人建立了关于健身和生活的榜样, 而且我想说 这些理念帮助创造了安全。
fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性;
Another aspect of this partnership is in disaster relief . 这个合作的另一部分是 灾后救援与后续工作。
aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位; disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸; relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
This is a US Air Force helicopter participating after the tsunami in 2004 which killed 250,000 people. 这是一个美国空军的直升机, 它参加了2004年一个杀死250000人的海啸的救援。
Air Force:n.空军; participating:v.参加;参与(participate的现在分词) tsunami:n.海啸;
In each of these major disasters — the tsunami in 2004, 250,000 dead, the Kashmiri earthquake in Pakistan, 2005, 85,000 dead, the Haitian earthquake, about 300,000 dead, 在所有的大灾难中——2004年海啸,250000死, 2005年巴基斯坦地震, 85000人死亡, 海地地震,300000人死亡,
disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数); Haitian:adj.海地的;海地人的;n.海地人;海地语;
more recently the awful earthquake-tsunami combination which struck Japan and its nuclear industry — in all of these instances , we see partnerships between international actors, 还有最近的对于日本机器核工业的 地震海啸双重打击—— 在所有这些例子中,我们看到了 国际间,
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; instances:n.相依物体,例子; v.举例说明(instance的第三人称单数形式); partnerships:n.伙伴关系;合伙;(partnership的复数)
interagency, private-public working with security forces to respond to this kind of natural disaster. 跨部门,公私结合的合作,这个合作与安全力量同时 响应这种自然灾害。
respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
So these are examples of this idea of open-source security. 所以这些都是我们说的开放式安全的例子。
We tie it together, increasingly , by doing things like this. 我们结合在一起,来共同完成这样的事情。
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地;
Now, you're looking at this thinking, "Ah, Admiral , these must be sea lanes of communication, or these might be fiber optic cables ." 现在你看到这个,应该在想,“啊,船长, 这些一定是通信电缆, 或者是光线。”
Admiral:n.海军上将;舰队司令;旗舰; lanes:n.线路,跑道(lane复数形式); fiber:n.纤维;光纤(等于fibre); optic:adj.光学的;视觉的;眼睛的;n.眼睛;镜片; cables:n.缆绳;钢索;电缆;电报;v.发电报;(cable的第三人称单数和复数)
No. This is a graphic of the world according to Twitter. 不,这是一个Twitter(国外微博网站)公司发的世界地图。
according to:根据,据说;
Purple are tweets . Green are geolocation. 紫色是微博,绿色是地点,
Purple:n.紫色;紫袍;v.变紫;使成紫色;adj.紫色的;华丽的文辞; tweets:n.啾啾声,小鸟叫声(tweet的复数形式);v.鸣叫(tweet的三单形式);
White is the synthesis . 白色是结合。
synthesis:n.综合,[化学]合成;综合体;
It's a perfect evocation of that great population survey , the six largest nations in the world in descending order: 这很能让人想到人口普查, 六个人口最多的国家依次是:
evocation:n.招魂;唤起;唤出; survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; descending:adj.下降的,递减的;v.下来;下去;下降;降临;来临(descend的现在分词)
China, India, Facebook, the United States, 中国,印度,Facebook(国外社交网络),美国,
Twitter and Indonesia . (Laughter) Twitter,和印尼。(笑声)
Indonesia:n.印尼,印度尼西亚(东南亚岛国);
Why do we want to get in these nets? 我们要这些网干什么?
Why do we want to be involved? 我们为什么想要在其中?
We talked earlier about the Arab Spring, and the power of all this. 我们之前讨论过阿拉伯春天组织, 以及它的力量。
I'll give you another example, and it's how you move this message. 我再举一个例子, 是关于信息如何传播的。
I gave a talk like this in London a while back about this point. I said, as I say to all of you, 我在伦敦发表一个像这个的演讲。 我说,我对你们说,
I'm on Facebook. Friend me. 我在Facebook上,加我好友吧。
Got a little laugh from the audience. 观众在笑。
There was an article which was run by AP, on the wire. 这是AP(美联社)的一篇文章。
Got picked up in two places in the world: 世界上有两个地方,
Finland and Indonesia. 芬兰和印尼,
The headline was: NATO Admiral Needs Friends. 标题是:北约舰队司令需要好友。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢你们。(掌声)
Which I do. (Laughter) 我会做。(笑声)
And the story was a catalyst , and the next morning I had hundreds of Facebook friend requests from Indonesians and Finns , mostly saying, "Admiral, we heard you need a friend, and oh, by the way , what is NATO?" (Laughter) 这个故事是一个催化剂, 明天早上我就会有上百个 Facebook好友请求, 来自印尼和芬兰, 大多数都会说:“司令,我们听说你需要好友, 哦,还有,NATO(北约)是什么?”(笑声)
catalyst:n.[物化]催化剂;刺激因素; Finns:n.芬兰人(Finn的复数形式); by the way:顺便说一下;
So ... (Laughter) 所以(笑声)
Yeah, we laugh, but this is how we move the message, and moving that message is how we connect international, interagency, private-public, and these social nets to help create security. 是的,我们笑了,但这就是我们如何传播信息, 也就是我们如何把 国际,不同部门,私人和公共, 以及那些社会网联系起来来创造安全。
Now, let me hit a somber note. 现在,让我说一个严肃的消息。
somber:adj.忧郁的;昏暗的;严峻的;阴天的;
This is a photograph of a brave British soldier. 这是一个勇敢的英国士兵的照片。
He's in the Scots Guards. 他在苏格兰卫队,
Scots:adj.苏格兰的;苏格兰人的;苏格兰英语的;n.苏格兰人;苏格兰语;
He's standing the watch in Helmand, in southern Afghanistan. 正在Helmand站岗, 在阿富汗南部。
I put him here to remind us, 我把他放出来就是想提醒我们,
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
I would not want anyone to leave the room thinking that we do not need capable , competent militaries who can create real military effect. 我不想让任何人离开这间屋子,抱着 “我们不需要军事部队” 的想法。
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; militaries:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
That is the core of who we are and what we do, and we do it to protect freedom, freedom of speech, all the things we treasure in our societies. 这正是我们在做的, 我们做这个事情来保障自由,言论自由, 和其他所有我们在社会中珍视的。
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
But, you know, life is not an on-and-off switch. 但你知道,生活不是开关。
You don't have to have a military that is either in hard combat or is in the barracks . 我们没有要么在战争,要么在兵营的 军事力量。
barracks:n.兵营,营房; v.使驻扎军营里; (澳)大声鼓噪(barrack的三单形式);
I would argue life is a rheostat . 我认为生活是一个可变电阻器,
rheostat:n.[电]变阻器;
You have to dial it in, and as I think about how we create security in this 21st century, there will be times when we will apply hard power in true war and crisis , but there will be many instances, as we've talked about today, where our militaries can be part of creating 21st-century security, international, interagency, private-public, connected with competent communication. 你需要调一个数值, 并且正像我认为我们该如何在21世纪制造安全一样, 我们会需要 在真正的战争和危机中使用真正强硬的力量, 但会有很多时候, 就像我们已经讨论的, 我们的部队可以使 21世纪安全,也就是国际, 跨部门,公私结合, 的安全模式的一部分,通过沟通来结合起来。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
I would close by saying that we heard earlier today about Wikipedia . I use Wikipedia all the time to look up facts, and as all of you appreciate , 在结束时,我想说在今天早些时候 听到的关于维基百科的一些东西。 我经常用维基百科查一些东西,就像你所知道的,
Wikipedia:维基百科; appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
Wikipedia is not created by 12 brilliant people locked in a room writing articles. 维基百科不是靠12个聪明的人 把自己关在屋子里写文章建立的。
Wikipedia, every day, is tens of thousands of people inputting information, and every day millions of people withdrawing that information. 维基百科是靠每天数万人 的更新,数百万人的提取信息 而建立的。
inputting:n.输入;v.输入(imput的ing形式); withdrawing:v.取出;拆下;后退;回收(withdraw的现在分词);
It's a perfect image for the fundamental point that no one of us is as smart as all of us thinking together. 这完美的说明了 没有一个人能比共同思考更聪明。
No one person, no one alliance , no one nation, no one of us is as smart as all of us thinking together. 没有一个人,没有一个联盟,没有一个国家, 能有我们共同思考更睿智。
alliance:n.联盟,联合;联姻;
The vision statement of Wikipedia is very simple: a world in which every human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. 维基百科的宣言很简单: 创建一个能人人自由共享 所有知识的世界。
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
My thesis for you is that by combining international, interagency, private-public, strategic communication, together, in this 21st century, we can create the sum of all security. 所以,我想说,通过结合国际, 多部门,公私力量,战略通信在一起, 在21世纪, 我们能创造共同的安全。
Thank you. (Applause) 谢谢(掌声)
Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you. (Applause) 非常感谢。(掌声)