返回首页

JamesCameron_2010-_《阿凡达》之前的好奇小男孩_

I grew up on a steady diet of science fiction . 我是在科幻小说的陪伴下长大的。
steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; science fiction:科幻小说;
In high school I took a bus to school an hour each way every day. 高中的时候,我每天要搭乘 一个小时的公交车往返学校。
And I was always absorbed in a book, science fiction book, which took my mind to other worlds, and satisfied , in a narrative form, this insatiable sense of curiosity that I had. 漫长车程中,我总是沉浸在书本里, 那些科幻小说 将我的思想带到其他的世界, 以叙事的方式, 满足了我当时强烈的好奇感。
absorbed in:全神贯注于…; satisfied:adj.满意的:满足的:v.使满意:使满足;(satisfy的过去分词和过去式) narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; insatiable:adj.贪得无厌的;不知足的; curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
And you know that curiosity also manifested itself in the fact that whenever I wasn't in school 除此之外,我的好奇心也展现在其他方面: 每当我不需要上课的时候,
manifested:adj.证明的;已显示的;显然的;v.显示;证明(manifest的过去分词);
I was out in the woods, hiking and taking "samples," 我总会前往树林里, 远足和采集“标本”,
frogs and snakes and bugs and pond water, and bringing it back, looking at it under the microscope . 青蛙呀、蛇呀、虫子呀、池水呀, 通通带回家中,放到显微镜下研究。
bugs:n.缺陷;虫子;窃听器;(bug的复数)v.窃听;使烦恼;(bug的第三人称单数) pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池; microscope:n.显微镜;
You know, I was a real science geek . 我当时算得上是极品的科学狂人。
geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才;
But it was all about trying to understand the world, understand the limits of possibility. 但这一切都是为了尝试了解这个世界, 了解可能的边界。
And my love of science fiction actually seemed to mirrored in the world around me, because what was happening, this was in the late '60s, we were going to the moon, we were exploring the deep oceans. 而我对科幻小说的喜爱 也是与我周围的世界相呼应的, 因为当时是60年代末期, 人类开始登月, 开始潜入深海。
exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词)
Jacques Cousteau was coming into our living rooms with his amazing specials that showed us animals and places and a wondrous world that we could never really have previously imagined. 雅克.格斯特(法国电影摄影师)将他神奇的视觉特效 带入我们的生活中,为我们呈现了 之前无法想象的动物、 景观和一个美妙的世界。
wondrous:adj.奇妙的;令人惊奇的;非常的; previously:adv.先前;以前;
So, that seemed to resonate with the whole science fiction part of it. 这一切都似乎和科幻小说之间 产生着共鸣。
resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
And I was an artist. 与此同时,我也是名艺术家。
I could draw. I could paint. 我能绘能画。
And I found that because there weren't video games and this saturation of CG movies and all of this imagery in the media landscape , 我也发现因为当时没有电子游戏、 特效电影的渗入以及现今传媒产业中 大量的图像化,
saturation:n.饱和;色饱和度;浸透;磁化饱和; imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; landscape:n.景观;乡村风景画;(文件的)横向打印格式;v.对…做景观美化;美化…的环境;
I had to create these images in my head. 我不得不在我的头脑中来创造这些图像。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
You know, we all did, as kids having to read a book, and through the author's description put something on the movie screen in our heads. 相信大家小时候都和我一样, 在读书的时候,往往会在我们大脑中 把作者所描述的东西向电影一样播放。
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型;
And so, my response to this was to paint, to draw alien creatures , alien worlds, robots, spaceships, all that stuff . 而我对此的回应则是描绘 外星生物、外星世界、 机器人、宇宙飞船、等等。
response:n.响应;反应;回答; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数) stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
I was endlessly getting busted in math class doodling behind the textbook. 我躲在教科书后面涂鸦的行径 总是被数学老师给逮个正着。
endlessly:adv.不断地;无穷尽地; busted:adj.被当场逮住;v.打破;突击搜查;(使)降级;(bust的过去分词和过去式) doodling:v.乱涂,胡写乱画;(doodle的现在分词)
That was, the creativity had to find its outlet somehow . 正因此,我不得不为我的创造力 寻求其他的宣泄途径。
outlet:n.出口;(感情、思想、精力发泄的)出路;表现机会;专营店; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
And an interesting thing happened, the Jacques Cousteau shows actually got me very excited about the fact that there was an alien world right here on Earth. 有趣的是,雅克.格斯特的影片令我惊喜地发现 原来在这个地球上 就存在着一个外星世界。
I might not really go to an alien world on a spaceship someday. 我也许无法真的在有生之年 乘坐宇宙飞船前往外星世界。
That seemed pretty darn unlikely . 这听起来太不着边际了。
darn:v.织补,缝补;n.织补; unlikely:adj.不大可能发生的;非心目中的;非想象的;难以相信的;
But that was a world I could really go to, right here on Earth, that was as rich and exotic as anything that I had imagined from reading these books. 但这个地球上确实存在着一个 我真的可以前往的世界—— 富饶而奇异, 拥有着我通过书本所幻想的一切。
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的;
So, I decided I was going to become a scuba diver at the age of 15. 因此在我15岁的那一年,我决定成为一名 潜水员。
scuba:n.水肺;水中呼吸器; diver:n.潜水者;跳水的选手;潜鸟;
And the only problem with that was that I lived in a little village in Canada, 600 miles from the nearest ocean. 不过唯一的问题是,我当时 住在加拿大的一个小村庄里, 最近的海也要600英里远。
But I didn't let that daunt me. 但我却没有因此而心灰意冷。
daunt:vt.使气馁,使畏缩;威吓;
I pestered my father until he finally found a scuba class in Buffalo , New York, right across the border from where we live. 我反复纠缠我的老爸,直到他在 纽约水牛市为我找到了一个潜水训练班, 它就在美加边界的另一侧。
pestered:vt.纠缠,烦扰;使烦恼; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; Buffalo:n.[畜牧][脊椎]水牛;[脊椎]野牛(产于北美);水陆两用坦克;
And I actually got certified in a pool in a YMCA in the dead of winter in Buffalo, New York. 就这样,在水牛市刺骨的深冬, 在基督教青年会的泳池内, 我拿到了我的潜水证书。
certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词)
And I didn't see the ocean, a real ocean, for another two years, until we moved to California. 但在随后的两年里, 我却不曾亲眼看见过大海, 直到我们搬到了加利福尼亚洲。
Since then, in the intervening 40 years, 在那之后 的40年里,
intervening:adj.介于中间的;v.介入(intervene的ing形式);
I've spent about 3,000 hours underwater , 我在水下度过了大概3000个小时。
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
And 500 hours of that was in submersibles . 其中500个小时是在潜水器中度过的。
submersibles:adj.能潜水的;能沉入水中的;
And I've learned that that deep ocean environment, and even the shallow oceans, are so rich with amazing life that really is beyond our imagination . 我发现深海之中── 即使是浅海之中── 充满了令人惊奇的生命, 远远超出了我们的想象。
imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
Nature's imagination is so boundless compared to our own meager human imagination. 同我们人类狭隘的想象范围相比 大自然的想象力 是无边无际的。
boundless:adj.无限的;无边无际的; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) meager:adj.贫乏的;瘦的;n.兆;
I still, to this day , stand in absolute awe of what I see when I make these dives . 直到今日,我潜水时所目睹的一切 仍令我感到无比惊奇。
to this day:至今; awe:vt.使敬畏;使畏怯;n.敬畏; dives:n.富豪;
And my love affair with the ocean is ongoing , and just as strong as it ever was. 我对海洋的热爱 始终如一、不曾改变。
love affair:n.风流韵事;(非夫妻间的)性关系;强烈的兴趣; ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的;
But, when I chose a career , as an adult, it was film making. 但当我长大成人,需要择业的时候, 我选择了电影制作。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
And that seemed to be the best way to reconcile this urge I had to tell stories, with my urges to create images. 在当时看来,这是将我 讲故事的渴求与创造图象的欲望 合二为一的最好途径。
reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协;
And I was, as a kid, constantly drawing comic books, and so on. 在我还是个孩子的时候,我常常画漫画。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
So, film making was the way to put pictures and stories together. And that made sense. 而电影制作正好将图象和故事结合在一起。 理所当然,水到渠成。
And of course the stories that I chose to tell were science fiction stories: " Terminator ," "Aliens," 当然了,我讲的故事都是些科幻故事 《终结者》《异性》
Terminator:n.终结者;终止子;明暗界限;
and "The Abyss ." 和《深渊》。
Abyss:n.深渊;深邃,无底洞,地狱;
And with "The Abyss," I was putting together my love of underwater and diving , with film making. 在《深渊》中,我将我对深海和潜水的喜爱 与电影制作结合到了一起。
diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
So, you know, merging the two passions . 将两份热忱,合二为一。
merging:v.合并,结合,并入;相融;(merge的现在分词) passions:n.强烈情感;激情;盛怒;(passion的复数)
Something interesting came out of "The Abyss," 而《深渊》也带来了另一种启迪:
which was that to solve a specific narrative problem on that film, which was to create this kind of liquid water creature, we actually embraced computer generated animation , CG. 为了更好的呈现 影片的叙事模式, 创造出影片中的液体水生物, 我们开始使用电脑动画技术。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式) generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词) animation:n.活泼,生气;激励;卡通片绘制;
And this resulted in the first soft-surface character, CG animation that was ever in a movie. 电影业中的首个 电脑制作的软表面人物 也因此而诞生。
And even though the film didn't make any money, barely broke even, I should say, 尽管那部电影票房不济, 刚好回本罢了,
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
I witnessed something amazing, which is that the audience, the global audience, was mesmerized by this apparent magic. 我却因此而目睹了令人惊奇的一幕── 全球观众都被影片所呈现的魔法 深深吸引。
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; mesmerized:v.施催眠术,迷住,迷惑(mesmerize的过去式);adj.着迷的; apparent:adj.显然的;表面上的;
You know, it's Arthur Clarke's law that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. 这就是阿瑟·克拉克定律── 先进的科技和魔法之间是难以区分的。
sufficiently:adv.充分地;足够地; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; indistinguishable:adj.不能区别的,不能辨别的;不易察觉的;
They were seeing something magical. 而当时观众所目睹的正是这种魔力。
And so that got me very excited. 这令我感到无比兴奋。
And I thought, "Wow, this is something that needs to be embraced into the cinematic art." 我当时想到,“天呀,这项技术需要在电影艺术中 大范围推广。”
cinematic:adj.电影的;影片的;
So, with "Terminator 2," which was my next film, we took that much farther. 所以在我的下一部电影《终结者2》中, 我们将这项技术推上了新的台阶。
Working with ILM, we created the liquid metal dude in that film. the success hung in the balance on whether that effect would work. 通过和“工业光魔”(ILM)电影特效公司的合作,我们创造了影片中那个 液体金属家伙。而电影的成功与否 将取决于这项技术能否奏效。
dude:n.男人,小伙子;(非正式)花花公子;
And it did. And we created magic again. 结果它奏效了。我们再次创造了魔法。
And we had the same result with an audience. 我们再次从观众那里得到了同样的回馈。
Although we did make a little more money on that one. 不过那部电影的票房要稍微好一点。
So, drawing a line through those two dots of experience, came to, this is going to be a whole new world, this was a whole new world of creativity for film artists. 综合这两次经历, 我们意识到 这将是一个全新的世界 一个容许电影艺术者们施展想象力的 全新世界。
So, I started a company with Stan Winston, my good friend Stan Winston, who is the premier make-up and creature designer at that time, and it was called Digital Domain . 所以我和我的好友Stan Winston 成立了一家公司。 Stan Winston是当时的知名化妆师和造型师。 公司的名字就叫做 数码领域 (Digital Domain)。
premier:adj.第一的;最初的;n.总理,首相; make-up:n.化妆品;(美)补考;性格;构造;排版; Digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; Domain:n.领域;域名;产业;地产;
And the concept of the company was that we would leap-frog past the analog processes of optical printers and so on, and we would go right to digital production. 而公司的理念就是 蛙跳过去光学打印机等等的 模拟过程, 直接转入数码制作。
analog:n.[自]模拟;类似物;adj.[自]模拟的;有长短针的; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式); optical:adj.光学的;眼睛的,视觉的;
And we actually did that and it gave us a competitive advantage for a while . 事实上我们的确做到了这一点,使得我们在一段时间内占据了先机。
competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点: for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
But we found ourselves lagging in the mid '90s in the creature and character design stuff that we had actually founded the company to do. 但在90年代中叶,我们发现虽然公司的初衷 是在生物、人物设计方面有所建树, 但我们在这一方面却是落伍了。
lagging:v.缓慢移动;发展缓慢;滞后;落后于;(lag的现在分词)
So, I wrote this piece called " Avatar ," 因此我创作了这个《阿凡达》的作品,
Avatar:n.电影《阿凡达》;
which was meant to absolutely push the envelope of visual effects, of CG effects, beyond, with realistic human emotive characters generated in CG 旨在将视觉效果 和电脑特效 推向极限, 利用电脑动画制造出 具有真实人类情感的生物。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的; emotive:adj.感情的;情绪的;表现感情的;
And the main characters would all be in CG 主要角色将由电脑制作。
And the world would be in CG 整个场景将由电脑制作。
And the envelope pushed back. 但我却碰了一鼻子灰。
And I was told by the folks at my company that we weren't going to be able to do this for a while. 我们公司里的人告诉我说 我们在当时的技术条件下,是无法完成这样的特效的。
So, I shelved it, and I made this other movie about a big ship that sinks. 所以我将这个想法放置一旁,转而制作了一部关于大船沉入海底的电影。
shelved:adj.搁置的;废置不用的;v.搁置(shelve的过去分词);逐渐倾斜;使上架;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You know, I went and pitched it to the studio as "'Romeo and Juliet' on a ship." 我当时跟电影公司说这部电影将会是船上的“罗密欧与朱丽叶”,
pitched:adj.倾斜的;v.用力扔;投;抛;投球;当投手;触地;(pitch的过去分词和过去式) studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂;
It's going to be this epic romance , passionate film. 将会是一部史诗般的、 浪漫激情的电影。
epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品; romance:n.爱情;恋爱;风流韵事;传奇故事; passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
Secretly, what I wanted to do was 但私底下,我的真实动机
I wanted to dive to the real wreck of " Titanic ." 是去拜访一下泰坦尼克的残骸。
wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难; Titanic:adj.巨大的;强大的;极端重要的;四价钛的;
And that's why I made the movie. 这才是我制作那部电影的原因。
(Applause) (掌声)
And that's the truth. Now, the studio didn't know that. 我说的是事实。不过电影公司当时是不知情的。
But I convinced them. I said, "We're going to dive to the wreck. We're going to film it for real. 我说服了他们。我说: “我们将潜入船骸,实地取景,
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
We'll be using it in the opening of the film. 作为影片的开场。
It will be really important. It will be a great marketing hook ." 此事至关重要、极具噱头。”
hook:n.钩;挂钩;鱼钩;钓钩;v.挂住;箍住;钓(鱼);打曲线球;
And I talked them into funding an expedition . 于是我说服了他们投资于一场冒险历程。
funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) expedition:n.远征;探险队;迅速;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Sounds crazy. But this goes back to that theme about about your imagination creating a reality. 听起来很疯狂。但这件事归根结底,依旧是关于 如果用你的想像力来创造一个现实。
Because we actually created a reality where six months later 事实上,我们的确在六个月后创造了一个现实──
I find myself in a Russian submersible two and a half miles down in the north Atlantic , looking at the real Titanic through a view port, not a movie, not HD, for real. 我在北大西洋2.5英里水下, 身处一个俄罗斯潜水器中, 通过一个视口观望真正的泰坦尼克。 不是电影,不是高清,而是身临其境。
Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
(Applause) (掌声)
Now, that blew my mind. 那次经历令我大为惊叹。
And it took a lot of preparation, we had to build cameras and lights and all kinds of things. 前期的准备工作是很繁琐的,我们需要搭建摄像机、 灯光等等。
But, it struck me how much this dive, these deep dives was like a space mission . 但真正让我震惊的是 这些深海潜水活动 就如宇宙探险一样。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
You know, where it was highly technical , and it required enormous planning. 两者都是高科技产物, 两者都需要缜密的部署。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
You get in this capsule , you go down to this dark hostile environment where there is no hope of rescue if you can't get back by yourself. 你踏进船舱,踏入这漆黑 险恶的环境, 如果你无法依靠自己的力量返回的话, 你是没有任何被营救的可能的。
capsule:n.太空舱;荚;航天舱;(装药物的)胶囊;adj.简略的;小而结实的;v.节略; hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子; rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救;
And I thought like, "Wow. I am like living in a science fiction movie. 我当时想到:“天呀。我就好像 活在一个科幻电影里面一样。
This is really cool." 太酷了!”
And so, I really got bitten by the bug of deep ocean exploration . 正因此,深海探险成了我新的嗜好。
exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术;
Of course, the curiosity, the science component of it. 当然了,这归结于其中的好奇感、科学性。
component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的;
It was everything. It was adventure , 它是万物合一、是探求未知、
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
It was curiosity. It was imagination. 是好奇无边、是想象无限,
And it was an experience that 是好莱坞无法给予我的
Hollywood couldn't give me. 难得经历。
Because, you know, I could imagine a creature and we could create a visual effect for it. But I couldn't imagine what I was seeing out that window. 虽然我可以想象出一个生物,然后利用电脑特效将它创造出来, 但我却无法想象出那天我透过潜水窗 所看到的一切。
As we did some of our subsequent expeditions 在我们随后的探险过程中,
subsequent:adj.后来的,随后的; expeditions:n.探险(expedition的复数);远征;
I was seeing creatures at hydrothermal vents and sometimes things that I had never seen before, sometimes things that no one had seen before, that actually were not described by science at the time that we saw them and imaged them. 我观测到过居住在热液喷口的生物, 有时会看到我之前从来没有看过的东西, 有时会看到任何人之前都没有看过的东西, 甚至是一些在我们当时目击并记录之前 还没有被科学所描述的事物。
hydrothermal:adj.[地质]热液的;热水的; vents:n.[矿业]通风孔(vent的复数);排空(气)阀;通风管;管乐类; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) imaged:想象;反映;象征(image的过去式和过去分词);
So, I was completely smitten by this, and had to do more. 正因此,我对此是神魂颠倒, 不得不继续下去。
smitten:v.打击,摧毁(smite的过去分词);
And so, I actually made a kind of curious decision. 于是我做出了一个令人惊讶的决定。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
After the success of "Titanic," 在《泰坦尼克号》取得成功之后,
I said, "Okay, I'm going to park my day job as a Hollywood movie maker, and I'm going to go be a full time explorer for a while." 我决定:“好吧,我在好莱坞制作电影的工作 到这里就可以告一段落了。 在接下来的一段时间里,我要成为一名全职探险家。”
full time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的; explorer:n.探险者;勘探者;考察者;
And so, we started planning these expeditions. 因此,我们开始计划 这些探险活动。
And we wound up going to the Bismark , and exploring it with robotic vehicles . 我们前往俾斯麦沉船, 利用机器人装置来探测它的残骸。
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害; Bismark:n.俾斯麦(西太平洋俾斯麦群岛所包围的海域); robotic:adj.机器人的,像机器人的;自动的;n.机器人学; vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
We went back to the Titanic wreck. 我们随后又回到了泰坦尼克的残骸。
We took little bots that we had created that spooled a fiber optic. 并且创造出了一批可以 缠绕光学纤维的机器人。
bots:n.蝇蛆病; v.只想借不想还(bot的第三人称单数形式); fiber:n.纤维;光纤(等于fibre);
And the idea was to go in and do an interior survey of that ship, which had never been done. 目的就是深入到残骸中,探索其内部的样子 ──一个前无古人的做法。
interior:n.内部;内陆;内地;里面;adj.内部的;里面的; survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地;
Nobody had ever looked inside the wreck. They didn't have the means to do it, so we created technology to do it. 在此之前,没有人看过残骸的内部。他们没有所需要的技术, 所以我们就创造出相应的技术。
So, you know, here I am now, on the deck of Titanic, sitting in a submersible, and looking out at planks that look much like this, where I knew that the band had played. 要知道,我当时就在泰坦尼克的甲板上, 坐在一个潜水器内, 看着就如同这个的木质甲板, 心想着曾在这里表演的乐队。
deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒; planks:[木]木板; band:n.带;波段;频带;箍;v.加彩条(或嵌条等);(将价格、收入等)划分档次;
And I'm flying a little robotic vehicle through the corridor of the ship. 我操控着一个小型的机器人探索器 飞过船内的走廊。
corridor:n.通道;过道;走廊(一国领土通过他国境内的狭长地带);
When I say, I'm operating it, but my mind is in the vehicle. 虽然我在操控着它, 我的思想却是在这个探索器内,
I felt like I was physically present inside the shipwreck of Titanic. 我感觉我确确实实地 置身在泰坦尼克的残骸中。
shipwreck:n.海难;遇难船;vt.使失事;使毁灭;使失败;
And it was the most surreal kind of deja vu experience I've ever had, because I would know before I turned a corner what was going to be there before the lights of the vehicle actually revealed it, because I had walked the set for months when we were making the movie. 那是我所经历过的最难以置信的 此曾相识的感觉, 因为在机器人的探测灯照亮周围之前, 我就已经知道每个转角背后 所隐藏的一切, 原因就在于电影制作的过程中, 我花费了很多个月的时间在这个场景中走来走去。
surreal:adj.超现实主义的;离奇的;不真实的; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式)
And the set was based as an exact replica on the blueprints of the ship. 而摄影棚中的道具就是依照这个船的设计图 所制造出来的一个真实模型。
replica:n.复制品,复制物; blueprints:n.[印刷]蓝图; v.绘…的蓝图;
So, it was this absolutely remarkable experience. 所以那一次的经历是非比寻常的,
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
And it really made me realize that the telepresense experience that you actually can have these robotic avatars , then your consciousness is injected into the vehicle, into this other form of existence. 它使我感受到了一种 远程监控的经历── 我们甚至上拥有这些机器人形态的阿凡达, 我们将我们的思想意识注入其中, 注入另外一种存在形式中。
avatars:n.神使;头像;形象化符号;(avatar的复数) consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉; injected:v.(给…)注射(药物等); (inject的过去分词和过去式)
It was really really quite profound . 这的确是很深刻的感受。
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
And may be a little bit of a glimpse as to what might be happening some decades out as we start to have cyborg bodies for exploration or for other means in many sort of post-human futures that I can imagine, as a science fiction fan. 也许这一切可以让我们大致猜想几十年后的世界 会是怎样。 作为一名科学小说迷 我可以想象各种 后人类社会的未来, 利用半机械人 来进行探险 以及其他活动。
a little bit of a:一点点了; glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹; cyborg:abbr.(部分机能由各种电子或电机装置代替的)半机械人;
So, having done these expeditions, and really beginning to appreciate what was down there, such as at the deep ocean vents where we had these amazing amazing animals. 所以通过这些探险 我开始真正地欣赏海底的美妙, 比如那些生活在深海裂口处的 奇妙的动物们。
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
They are basically aliens right here on Earth. 它们算得上就是地球上的外星生物。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
They live in an environment of chemosynthesis. 它们住在一个化学合成的环境中,
They don't survive on sunlight based system the way we do. 完全不需要我们赖以生存的 太阳光照。
sunlight:n.日光;
And so, you're seeing animals that are living next to a 500 degree Centigrade water plumes . 所以当你看到那些 生活在500度高温的海底地柱周边的 动物的时候,
Centigrade:adj.摄氏的;[仪]摄氏温度的;百分度的; plumes:羽状物;
You think they can't possibly exist. 你觉得它们完全不可能存活。
At the same time 与此同时,
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
I was getting very interested in space science as well, again, it's the science fiction influence , as a kid. 我也开始对太空科技感兴趣。 这自然也是受到了年少时候科学小说的影响。
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
And I wound up getting involved with the space community , really involved with NASA, sitting on the NASA advisory board, planning actual space missions , going to Russia, going to the pre-cosmonaut biomedical protocols , and all these sorts of things, 结果我和太空社区建立了 很紧密的联系, 和美国航天局合作, 成为了他们咨询委员会的一员, 策划真正的太空任务, 前往俄罗斯,参观宇航员之前的 生物科学协议 等等一系列的事情
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; advisory:adj.咨询的;顾问的;劝告的;n.报告;公告; missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数) biomedical:adj.生物医学的; protocols:n.协议; v.拟定议定书;
to actually go and fly to the international space station with our 3D camera systems. 以便于我们带着我们的3D摄影器材 前往国际空间站。
space station:n.太空站;航天站;宇宙空间站;
And this was fascinating . 这种经历是令人难忘的。
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
But what I wound up doing was bringing space scientists with us into the deep. 但我到头来所做的,却是说服太空科学家们 跟随我们前往海洋深处,
And taking them down so that they had access astrobiologists , planetary scientists, people who were interested in these extreme environments, taking them down to the vents, and letting them see, and take samples and test instruments , and so on. 让他们可以切身体验。 太空生物学家、天体科学家 等等对极端环境感兴趣的人们 都被我们带到深海裂口处,让他们能亲眼观看、 采取样品、探测仪器等等。
astrobiologists:天体生物学家; planetary:adj.行星的; extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; instruments:n.器械;仪器;器具;手段(instrument的复数)
So, here we were making documentary films, but actually doing science, and actually doing space science. 所以我们在制作记录片的同时 却是在研究科学 研究太空科学。
I'd completely closed the loop between being the science fiction fan, you know, as a kid, and doing this stuff for real. 我把小时候 身为科学小说迷的经历 和真实从事这一行业的经历 联系到了一起。
loop:n.循环;回路;环路;圈;v.使成环;使绕成圈;成环形移动;
And you know, along the way in this journey of discovery, 在这个探索之旅中, 我也是
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
I learned a lot. 学到了很多东西。
I learned a lot about science. But I also learned a lot about leadership. 我学到了很多关于科学的东西。但我也学会了很多 关于领袖才能的东西。
Now you think director has got to be a leader, leader of, captain of the ship, and all that sort of thing. 你觉得导演必须得是一名领袖人才, 是领导、是掌舵者之类的。
I didn't really learn about leadership until I did these expeditions. 但在这些探险之前, 我对领袖才能却是一无所知。
Because I had to, at a certain point, say, "What am I doing out here? 因为我终究要问自己: “我到底在做些什么呢?
Why am I doing this? What do I get out of it?" 我为什么要做这些事情?我从中得到什么呢?”
We don't make money at these damn shows. 这些该死的纪录片根本不赚钱。
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
We barely break even . There is no fame in it. 我们想回本都不容易。没名没份的。
break even:adj.收支平衡的;
People sort of think I went away between "Titanic" and "Avatar" and was buffing my nails someplace, sitting at the beach. 很多人都认为我在《泰坦尼克》和《阿凡达》两部电影之间 退居幕后,坐在沙滩上面 修指甲罢了。
buffing:n.[机]磨光,[机]抛光;
Made all these films, made all these documentary films for a very limited audience. 但事实上我制作了这些电影,这些纪录片, 只有很少数的观众看过。
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
No fame, no glory, no money. What are you doing? 没名、没份、没钱。你到底在做什么呢?
You're doing it for the task itself, for the challenge -- and the ocean is the most challenging environment there is, for the thrill of discovery, and for that strange bond that happens when a small group of people form a tightly knit team. 我做这一切是为了这个经历本身的价值 为了这个挑战── 而大海就是最富挑战的环境, 我做这一切也是为了探索发现的惊奇感, 为了那种一小群人组成一个紧密的团队时 所撞击出的奇妙的凝聚力。
thrill:n.兴奋感;兴奋;激动;v.使非常兴奋;使非常激动; tightly:adv.紧紧地;坚固地; knit:v.编织;针织;机织;(使)紧密结合;n.针织衫;编织的衣服;
Because we would do these things with 10-12 people working for years at a time. 因为每一次我们都会和10到12个人 一起工作上几个年头。
Sometimes at sea for 2-3 months at a time. 有时要在海上呆上个2-3个月。
And in that bond, you realize that the most important thing is the respect that you have for them and that they have for you, that you've done a task that you can't explain to someone else. 而在那种凝聚力下,你意识到 最重要的事情 就是你与他们 彼此之间的尊敬,你们共同完成了一个 无法向他人解释的任务。
When you come back to the shore and you say, "We had to do this, and the fiber optic, and the attentuation, and the this and that, all the technology of it, and the difficulty, the human performance aspects of working at sea, 当你回到海岸上,你会说: “我们需要做这个,这个光学纤维,这个电律衰减, 还有这个、那个。” 各项技术、其中的难度、 海上作业的工作效率──
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
you can't explain it to people. It's that thing that maybe cops have, or people in combat that have gone through something together and they know they can never explain it. 这些都是你无法向他人解释的。这就好像那些 同甘共苦过的警察、战士一样,他们知道 他们是无法向其他人解释其中的经历的。
cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
Creates a bond, creates a bond of respect. 创造一个凝聚力,创造一个充满尊重之情的凝聚力。
So, when I came back to make my next movie, which was "Avatar," 所以当我回来制作我的下一部电影 《阿凡达》的时候,
I tried to apply that same principle of leadership which is that you respect your team, and you earn their respect in return. 我试着应用同样的领导信条── 尊敬你的团队, 他们才会回过头来尊敬你。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉;
And it really changed the dynamic . 而这一信条的确是改变了团队的活力。
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的;
So, here I was again with a small team, in uncharted territory doing "Avatar," coming up with new technology that didn't exist before. 我再次和一个小团队走到了一起 共同前往未知的领域 制作《阿凡达》,创造不曾存在过的 新科技。
uncharted:adj.未知的;图上未标明的; territory:n.领土,领域;范围;地域;版图;
Tremendously exciting. 振奋人心。
Tremendously:adv.非常地;可怕地;惊人地;
Tremendously challenging. 充满挑战。
And we became a family, over a four and half year period. 在四年半的时间里,我们变成了一个大家庭。
And it completely changed how I do movies. 这个经历彻底改变了我制作电影的方式。
So, people have commented on how, well, you know, you brought back the ocean organisms and put them on the planet of Pandora. 人们评论说:你把海底生物 带回到人们视野中来 放到了潘朵拉这个星球上。
organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体;
To me it was more of a fundamental way of doing business, the process itself, that changed as a result of that. 对于我而言,更侧重于做事的基本法则 和这个过程本身,从而改变了事情的结果。
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; as a result:结果;
So, what can we synthesize out of all this? 所以我们从这一切中得到了什么呢?
synthesize:vt.合成;综合;vi.合成;综合;
You know, what are the lessons learned? 学到了哪些东西呢?
Well, I think number one is curiosity. 我觉得第一点就是 好奇心。
It's the most powerful thing you own. 这是你所拥有的最有力的东西。
Imagination is a force that can actually manifest a reality. 想象力是一种力量 一种可以反映现实的力量。
And the respect of your team is more important than all the laurels in the world. 而你团队对你的尊敬 要比这个世界上所有其他的桂冠 都要重要。
laurels:n.荣誉(laurel的复数); v.戴桂冠;
I have young film makers come up to me and say, "Give me some advice for doing this." 有时年轻电影导演 会问我:“给我一些电影方面的建议。”
come up to:v.达到;等于;
And I say, "Don't put limitations on yourself. 我的回答是:“不要局限你自己。
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
Other people will do that for you, don't do it to yourself, don't bet against yourself. 别人会来局限你,会为你去划边界,但你不要自己局限自己。 不要赌自己会输。
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
And take risks." 要敢于冒险。”
NASA has this phrase that they like: "Failure is not an option ." 美国航空局有一则他们很喜欢的名言: “失败不是一个选项。”
option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
But failure has to be an option in art and in exploration, because it's a leap of faith . 但在艺术和探险中, 失败必定是个选项,因为这些都需要敢于挑战的信心。
leap:n.跳越;跳跃;跳高;骤变;v.跳;跳跃;跳越;猛冲; faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
And no important endeavor that required innovation was done without risk. 没有哪个需要创新的 重要奋斗 是在没有风险的条件下完成的。
endeavor:n.v.努力;尽力;试图; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
You have to be willing to take those risks. 你必须愿意承担这些风险。
So, that's the thought I would leave you with, is that in whatever you're doing, failure is an option, but fear is not. Thank you. 而这就是我所想要留给你们的启迪: 无论你做什么, 失败都是其中一个选项, 但畏惧却不是。谢谢你们。
(Applause) (掌声)