返回首页

JamesBalog_2009G-_定时拍摄记录极度快速流失的冰层_

Most of the time, art and science stare at each other across a gulf of mutual incomprehension . 很多时候,艺术和科学 隔着一条不可逾越的鸿沟注视着对方。
stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视; gulf:n.海湾;深渊;分歧;漩涡;vt.吞没; mutual:adj.共同的;相互的,彼此的; incomprehension:n.不了解;缺乏理解;
There is great confusion when the two look at each other. 当它俩互视时彼此存在着巨大的困惑。
confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘;
Art, of course, looks at the world through the psyche , the emotions -- even the unconscious at times -- and of course the aesthetic . 艺术,当然,通过心灵、情感 --甚至有时侯潜意识--还有审美观来观察世界。
psyche:n.灵魂;心智; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的; aesthetic:adj.美的;美学的;审美的,具有审美趣味的;
Science tends to look at the world through the rational , the quantitative -- things that can be measured and described -- but it gives art a terrific context for [knowledge and] understanding. 科学趋向于通过理智、数量-- 可以测量和描述的事物--来观察世界, 但是它提供给艺术一个很棒的(知识和)认知环境。
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的; quantitative:adj.定量的;量的,数量的; measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的; context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
In the Extreme Ice Survey , we're dedicated to bringing those two parts of human understanding together, merging art and science to the end of helping us understand nature and humanity's relationship with nature better. 在“极端冰层调查”中, 我们致力于把人类认知的这两部分结合在一起, 把艺术和科学融合 最后来帮助我们更好地了解自然 和人类的关系。
Extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; Survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) merging:v.合并,结合,并入;相融;(merge的现在分词)
Specifically , as a person who's been a professional nature photographer my whole adult life, 特别作为一个 当了大半辈子专业自然摄影师的人,
Specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
I am firmly of the belief that photography , video and film have tremendous power to help us understand, and shape the way we think about nature and about ourselves in relationship to nature. 我坚信照片,视频和电影 有着很强大的力量来帮助我们了解, 并塑造大家对自然的思考 以及自身与自然关系。
photography:n.摄影;摄影术; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的;
In this project, we're specifically interested, of course, in ice. 在这个项目中,我们特别感兴趣的,当然,是冰层。
I'm fascinated by the beauty of it, the mutability of it, the malleability of it, and the fabulous shapes in which it can carve itself. 我着迷于它的美丽,它的变化无常, 它的柔韧, 以及它可以自我雕刻出来的绝妙形态。
mutability:n.易变性;性情不定;突变性; malleability:n.顺从;可锻性;展延性; fabulous:adj.难以置信的;传说的,寓言中的;极好的; carve:vt.雕刻;切开;开创;vi.切开;做雕刻工作;
These first images are from Greenland. 第一批影像来自于格陵兰岛。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
But ice has another meaning. 但是冰层有另一层意义。
Ice is the canary in the global coal mine . 冰层是全球气候的预兆(“煤矿上的金丝雀”意思是未来的预兆,到二十世纪采矿公司还常利用金丝雀异常反应来探测矿内煤气的浓度)。
canary:n.[鸟]金丝雀;淡黄色; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; coal mine:煤矿;
It's the place where we can see and touch and hear and feel climate change in action. 在这里我们可以看到、摸到、听到并确切感受到正在发生的气候变化。
Climate change is a really abstract thing in most of the world. 在世界大多数地方气候变化是很抽象的。
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要;
Whether or not you believe in it is based on your sense of whether it is raining more or it is raining less, whether it is getting hotter or getting colder. 不管你是否相信它是基于你的感觉 不管是雨下得多了还是下得少了, 不管天气变热了还是变冷了。
Whether or not:是否…;
Or on what the computer models say about this, that and the other measurement . 或者基于一些计算机模型的结论,还有一些其它的测量。
measurement:n.测量;度量;长度;
All of that, strip it away. In the world of the arctic and alpine environments, where the ice is, [climate change] is real and it's present. 所有那些,都不要管了。在北极和阿尔卑斯的冰冻环境中, 在冰层存在的地方,[气候变化]是真实的,是存在的。
strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的; arctic:adj.北极的;北极地区的;极冷的;严寒的;n.北极;北极地区; alpine:adj.阿尔卑斯山的,高山的;
The changes are happening. They're very visible . 多个变化正在发生。它们是显而易见的。
visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目;
They're photographable. They're measurable . 它们是能拍摄出来的。它们是能测量的出来的。
measurable:adj.可测量的;重要的;重大的;
95 percent of the glaciers in the world are retreating or shrinking . 世界百分之九十五的冰川正在消退和萎缩,
glaciers:n.[地理][水文]冰川(glacier的复数);[地理][水文]冰河; retreating:v.撤退;离开;离去;后退;退缩;(retreat的现在分词) shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词)
That's outside Antarctica. 那是在南极外面。
95 percent of the glaciers in the world are retreating or shrinking because precipitation patterns and temperature patterns are changing. 世界百分之九十五的冰川正在消退和萎缩, 因为降雨模式和温度模式正在变化。
precipitation:n.[化学]沉淀,[化学]沉淀物;冰雹;坠落;鲁莽;
There is no significant scientific dispute about that. 科学上对此没有任何的异议。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; dispute:n.纠纷;争端;争论;辩论;v.争论;争执;辩论;争夺;
It's been observed , it's measured, it's bomb-proof information. 已经被观察到的,测量出来的,都是雷打不动的信息。
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式); bomb-proof:n.防炸的;
And the great irony and tragedy of our time is that a lot of the general public thinks that science is still arguing about that. 我们这个时代的巨大的讽刺和悲剧 是很多公众认为科学对气候变化还有争论。
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的; tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品; general public:n.普通百姓;大众;公众;
Science is not arguing about that. 科学上没有对其争论。
In these images we see ice from enormous glaciers, ice sheets that are hundreds of thousands of years old breaking up into chunks , and chunk, by chunk, by chunk, iceberg , by iceberg , turning into global sea level rise. 在这些图像里我们看到巨型冰川上的冰, 有着千百年历史的冰原 碎裂成一块又一块, 一座又一座的冰山,变成了全球升高的海平面。
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; sheets:n.床单;被单;薄片,薄板;(sheet的复数) chunks:n.厚块;大块;相当大的量;组块;(chunk的复数) iceberg:n.[地理]冰山;显露部分; sea level:海平面;
So, having seen all this in the course of a 30-year career , 所以,在30年的职业生涯中见识了这些之后,
in the course of:在…过程中;在…期间; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
I was still a skeptic about climate change until about 10 years ago, because I thought the story of climate change was based on computer models. 我还是对气候变化执怀疑态度,直到大概十年前, 因为我以前觉得气候变化的故事是建立在计算机模型基础上的。
skeptic:n.怀疑论者;怀疑者;无神论者;sceptic(英);
I hadn't realized it was based on concrete measurements of what the paleo climates -- the ancient climates -- were, as recorded in the ice sheets, as recorded in deep ocean sediments , as recorded in lake sediments , tree rings, and a lot of other ways of measuring temperature. 我曾没有没意识到它是基于坚实的 历史气候测量数据--古代的气候-- 这些数据记录在冰原里,记录在深海沉积岩里, 记录在湖底沉积岩里,树木年轮里, 还有很多其他的温度测量方法里。
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 measurements:n.测量值,尺寸(measurement的复数); paleo:古,旧; sediments:n.[地质]沉积物,[化学]沉淀物(sediment的复数); v.沉积(sediment的第三人称单数);
When I realized that climate change was real, and it was not based on computer models, 当我认识到气候变化是真实的,它不是建立在计算机模型上时,
I decided that one day I would do a project looking at trying to manifest climate change photographically . 我决定总有一天我要做一个项目 就是试着用摄影来表现气候的变化。
manifest:v.表明;显现;使人注意到;adj.明显的;显而易见的;n.旅客名单; photographically:adv.用照相;逼真地;
And that led me to this project. 然后我被引到了这个项目上。
Initially , I was working on a National Geographic assignment , conventional , single frame , still photography. 开始的时候,我在做《国家地理》的任务, 传统的,单画面,只是拍照。
Initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; Geographic:adj.地理的;地理学的; assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务: conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的; frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
And one crazy day, I got the idea that I should -- after that assignment was finished -- 有一天突发奇想,我想到我应该 -在那个任务完成之后-
I got the idea that I should shoot in time-lapse photography, that I should station a camera, or two, at a glacier and let it shoot every 15 minutes, or every hour, or whatever and watch the progression of the landscape over time. 我想到我应该拍摄定时照片, 我应该安扎一台摄像机,或者两台,对准一个冰川 让它每15分钟拍一次,或者每一个小时,或者其他 并观察地貌随时间的变化。
time-lapse:adj.延时的;定时的; progression:n.前进;连续; landscape:n.景观;乡村风景画;(文件的)横向打印格式;v.对…做景观美化;美化…的环境;
Well, within about three weeks, 最后,三个星期不到,
I incautiously turned that idea of a couple of time-lapse cameras into 25 time-lapse cameras. 我不小心把想法从两台摄相机 变成了25台定时拍摄相机。
incautiously:不小心地;鲁莽地;
And the next six months of my life were the hardest time in my career, trying to design, build and deploy out in the field these 25 time-lapse cameras. 接下来的6个月是我职业生涯中最艰难的时候, 努力设计,制作和在野外部署这25台定时拍摄相机。
deploy:v.部署;利用;[军事]展开;(使)张开;
They are powered by the sun. Solar panels power them. 它们用的是太阳能。太阳能板给它们能量。
panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式);
Power goes into a battery . There is a custom made computer that tells the camera when to fire. 能量充进电池。那有一台定制的计算机 会告诉相机什么时候开拍
battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位;
And these cameras are positioned on rocks on the sides of the glaciers, and they look in on the glacier from permanent , bedrock positions, and they watch the evolution of the landscape. 这些相机安放在冰川边的岩石上, 并且它们从稳定的岩床位置观望冰川, 同时它们能看到地貌的不断演变。
look in on:顺便拜访; permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发; bedrock:n.[地质]基岩;根底;基本原理; evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
We just had a number of cameras out on the Greenland Ice Sheet . 我们刚在格陵兰冰原上放出了一些摄相机。
Ice Sheet:n.冰原;冰盖;
We actually drilled holes into the ice, way deep down below the thawing level and left the cameras out there for the past month and a half or so. 过去的一个半月左右时间,我们其实在冰层上凿洞,一直凿到融化层以下 然后把相机放置在那儿。
thawing:n.融化;熔化;v.融化(thaw的ing形式);
Actually, there's still a camera out there right now. 其实,现在在那儿还有一台摄相机。
In any case , the cameras shoot roughly every hour, every half hour, every 15 minutes, every five minutes. 任何情况下,相机大概每一个小时, 每半个小时,每十五分钟,每五分钟拍一次。
In any case:无论如何; roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
Here's a time lapse of one of the time-lapse units being made. 这是定时拍摄怎样制作一台定时拍摄相机。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I personally obsessed about every nut, bolt and washer in these crazy things. 我个人疯狂对这些事务中的每个螺母,螺帽和垫圈都很着迷。
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词) bolt:n.螺栓; v.狼吞虎咽; v.突然; washer:n.[机]垫圈;洗涤器;洗衣人;
I spent half my life at our local hardware store during the months when we built these units originally . 我一半的时间花在了当地的五金店里 在过去的几个月的时间中我们原创了这些部件。
hardware:n.计算机硬件;五金器具; originally:adv.原来;起初;
We're working in most of the major glaciated regions of the northern hemisphere . 我们对大部分北半球的主要冰川覆盖地区做研究。
glaciated:adj.受到冰河作用的;冻结成冰的;v.被冰冻盖(glaciate的过去分词); regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数) hemisphere:n.半球;
Our time-lapse units are in Alaska, the Rockies , Greenland, and Iceland, and we have repeat photography positions, that is places we just visit on an annual basis, in British Columbia, the Alps and Bolivia. 我们的定时拍摄机组在阿拉斯加,洛基山脉,格陵兰岛和冰岛, 并且我们会重复的拍摄一些地点, 也就是我们每年都去的地方, 在不列颠哥伦比亚省(加拿大),阿尔卑斯山,和玻利维亚。
Rockies:n.落基山脉; annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的;
It's a big undertaking . I stand here before you tonight as an ambassador for my whole team. 这是一项艰巨的工作。我今晚站在你们面前 代表的是我们整个团队。
undertaking:n.事业;企业;保证;殡仪业;v.同意;担任;许诺;(undertake的现在分词) ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
There's a lot of people working on this right now. 此时有很多人在这个项目上工作。
We've got 33 cameras out this moment. 此刻我们有33台摄相机在外面。
We just had 33 cameras shoot about half an hour ago all across the northern hemisphere, watching what's happened. 大概半小时之前我们拍了33张照 跨越整个北半球,观察发生了什么。
And we've spent a lot of time in the field. It's been a fantastic amount of work. 我们在野外花了很多时间。完成的工作量是惊人的。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
We've been out for two and a half years, and we've got about another two and a half years yet to go. 我们出去已经有两年半了, 而且我们大概还要两年半的工作要做。
That's only half our job. 那也只是我们一半的工作。
The other half of our job is to tell the story to the global public. 还有另一半工作是向全球的公众讲述这个故事。
other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
You know, scientists have collected this kind of information off and on over the years, but a lot of it stays within the science community . 你知道,科学家们这些年断断续续地搜集了此类信息, 但很多信息却保留在了科学圈内。
off and on:断断续续地,时不时地; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Similarly , a lot of art projects stay in the art community, and I feel very much a responsibility through mechanisms like TED, and like our relationship with the Obama White House , 相似地,很多艺术项目也只保留在艺术圈内, 我感觉有很大的责任通过像TED这样的机制, 通过像我们和奥巴马政府,
Similarly:adv.同样地;类似于; mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学; White House:n.白宫(美国总统官邸,位于首都华盛顿);
with the Senate , with John Kerry's office, to influence policy as much as possible with these pictures as well. 和参议院,和John Kerry办公室的这些关系来影响政策 通过这些照片影响越多越好。
Senate:n.参议院,上院;(古罗马的)元老院; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
We've done films. We've done books. We have more coming. 我们拍了电影。我们出了书。我们还有更多的要做。
We have a site on Google Earth that Google Earth was generous enough to give us -- all of it because we feel very much the need to tell this story, because it is such an immediate evidence of ongoing climate change right now. 我们在Google Earth上有一个站点 Google Earth非常慷慨地为我们提供-- 所有这些都是因为我们觉得急需讲述这个故事, 因为它是当下持续气候变化立竿见影的证据。
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址; Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的;
Now, one bit of science before we get into the visuals . 现在,我们在看图片之前先讲点科学。
visuals:n.图形部分;外观改装;可视教具(visual的复数);
If everybody in the developed world understood this graph, and emblazoned it on the inside of their foreheads , there would be no further societal argument about climate change because this is the story that counts. 如果每个发达国家的人都理解这张图表, 而且把它牢牢印记在脑海里的话, 这个社会就不会有更多关于气候变化的争论了。 因为这才是一个有意义的故事。
emblazoned:adj.十分显眼的,醒目的;v.装饰;(emblazon的过去分词和过去式) foreheads:n.额;前额;(forehead的复数) societal:adj.社会的;
Everything else you hear is just propaganda and confusion. 你听到的其他任何事都只是鼓吹和混淆视听。
propaganda:n.宣传;传道总会;
Key issues : this is a 400,000 year record. 重点问题:这是一个400,000年的记录结果。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
This exact same pattern is seen going back now almost a million years before our current time. 我们可以看到跟以往 大概一百万年前的走势是完全一样的。
And several things are important. 而且有几件事很重要。
Number one: temperature and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere go up and down basically in sync . 第一:温度和大气的二氧化碳含量 同步上升和下降。
carbon dioxide:二氧化碳; atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; sync:n.同步,同时;vi.同时发生;vt.使同步;
You can see that from the orange line and the blue line. 你可以从橙色和蓝色线中看出来。
Nature has naturally allowed carbon dioxide to go up to 280 parts per million. 自然允许了二氧化碳自然上升到280ppm(ppm是百万分比浓度单位)
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
That's the natural cycle. 那是一个自然周期。
Goes up to 280 and then drops for various reasons that aren't important to discuss right now. 上升到280ppm然后下降 它由很多原因引起,但对今天的讨论不重要。
But 280 is the peak . 但280是顶点。
peak:n.高峰; v.达到高峰; adj.最高度的;
Right now, if you look at the top right part of that graph, we're at 385 parts per million. 现在,来看一下图表的右上部分, 我们处于385ppm。
We are way, way outside the normal, natural variability . 我们已经远远超出了正常的,自然的波动范围。
variability:n.可变性,变化性;[生物][数]变异性;
Earth is having a fever. 地球在发烧。
In the past hundred years, the temperature of the earth has gone up 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit , .75 degrees Celsius and it's going to keep going up because we keep dumping fossil fuels into the atmosphere. 在过去的几百年里,地球的温度 已经上升了1.3华氏度, 0.75摄氏度 而且它在继续上升 因为我们一直在向大气排放矿物燃料。
Fahrenheit:adj.华氏的;华氏温度计的;n.华氏温度计;华氏温标; Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度; dumping:n.倾倒,倾卸;v.丢弃,扔掉;抛弃;抛售;(dump的现在分词) fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的;
At the rate of about two and a half parts per million per year. 以每年2.5ppm的速度。
At the rate of:按…之速度;按...比率;
It's been a remorseless , steady increase. 它一直在无情地,持续地增加。
remorseless:adj.冷酷的;不知过错的;坚持不懈的;不屈不挠的; steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣;
We have to turn that around. 我们必须扭转这个趋势。
That's the crux , and someday I hope to emblazon that across Times Square in New York and a lot of other places. 那才是关键,而我希望有一天把那刻饰在 整个纽约的时代广场和很多其他的地方上。
crux:n.关键;难题;十字架形,坩埚;
But anyway, off to the world of ice. 好,回到冰的世界。
We're now at the Columbia Glacier in Alaska. 我们现在来到阿拉斯加的哥伦比亚冰川。
This is a view of what's called the calving face. 这是一个叫做冰解面的景象。
calving:n.产犊;裂冰作用;v.产犊;崩解(calve的ing形式);
This is what one of our cameras saw over the course of a few months. 这是我们的一台摄相机在几个月间拍到的。
You see see the glacier flowing in from the right, dropping off into the sea, camera shooting every hour. 你可以看到冰川从右边滑入, 一直掉入海里,摄相机每小时拍一次。
If you look in the middle background, you can see the calving face bobbing up and down like a yo-yo . 如果你看一下中间的背景, 你可以看到冰解面像悠悠球一样上下摆动
bobbing:v.(使在水中)上下快速移动,摆动;把(头发)剪成齐短发;(bob的现在分词) yo-yo:悠悠球(圆形玩具,抖动细绳时能上下移动)
That means that glacier's floating and it's unstable , and you're about to see the consequences of that floating. 那表示冰川在浮动而且不稳定, 你即将看到浮动的后果。
unstable:adj.不稳定的;变化莫测的;(行为、情绪)反复无常的 consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
To give you a little bit of a sense of scale , that calving face in this picture is about 325 ft tall. That's 32 stories. 让你有一点规模的概念, 图片中的冰解面 大概有325英尺高。相当于32层楼高。
a little bit of a:一点点了; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
This is not a little cliff . This is like a major office building in an urban center. 那可不是一个小悬崖。这像是市区中心的一幢大办公楼。
not a little:许多,大量的; cliff:n.悬崖;绝壁; urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
The calving face is the wall where the visible ice breaks off, but in fact, it goes down below sea level another couple thousand feet. 冰解面是可以看到冰块脱离的墙面, 但事实上,它向海平面以下还延伸了两千英尺。
So there's a wall of ice a couple thousand feet deep going down to bedrock, if the glacier's grounded on bedrock, and floating if it isn't. 所以还有两千英尺深的一堵冰墙 一直下到岩层,如果冰川坐落在岩层上的话, 或者整个在漂浮。
Here's what Columbia's done. This is in south central Alaska. 这是发生在哥伦比亚的,中心阿拉斯加南部。
This was an aerial picture I did one day in June three years ago. 这是我在三年前六月某一天的空拍照片。
aerial:adj.从飞机上的;空中的;空气中的;地表以上的;n.天线;
This is an aerial picture we did this year. 这是我们今年的一张空拍照片。
That's the retreat of this glacier. 那是冰川消退的情况。
The main stem , the main flow of the glacier is coming from the right and it's going very rapidly up that stem. 冰川的主干道,涌动的方向是从右边过来 在主干道上变化得非常快。
stem:n.花草的茎或梗;高脚酒杯的脚;烟斗柄;词干;v.阻止;封堵;遏止;
We're going to be up there in just a few more weeks, and we expect that it's probably retreated another half a mile, but if I got there and discovered that it had collapsed and it was five miles further back, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. 再过几个星期我们要去那里, 我们猜想它可能又后退了半英里, 但是如果我到那儿发现它已经坍塌了 而且往后又退了五英里,我一点也不会感到奇怪。
retreated:v.撤退;隐退(retreat的过去式及过去分词); collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
Now it's really hard to grasp the scale of these places because as the glaciers -- one of the things is that places like Alaska and Greenland are huge, they're not normal landscapes -- 现在已经很难掌握这些地方的规模了 因为这些冰川-- 要知道像阿拉斯加和格陵兰是很大的地方, 他们有着不一般的地貌--
grasp:n.抓住;理解;控制;v.抓住;领会; landscapes:n.风景; v.从事庭园设计;
but as the glaciers are retreating, they're also deflating , like air being let out of a balloon. 冰川消退时,也在浮动, 像空气从气球里放出来一样。
deflating:v.放掉(轮胎、气球等的)气;(使)瘪下来;使泄气;(deflate的现在分词)
And so, there are features on this landscape. 因此这种地貌上的一些特征。
There's a ridge right in the middle of the picture, up above where that arrow comes in, that shows you that a little bit. 在图片的正中间有一个山脊,在箭头进来的上面, 在那儿你可以看出一二。
ridge:n.山脊;山脉;屋脊;vt.使成脊状;作垄;vi.成脊状;
There's a marker line called the trim line above our little red illustration there. 那儿有一条标线叫边线 在我们红色标注的上面。
marker:n.记分员;书签;标识物;作记号的人; trim:v.修剪;整理;装点;削减;n.修剪;整齐;情形;adj.整齐的; illustration:n.插图;图解;示例;图示;
This is something no self respecting photographer would ever do -- you put some cheesy illustration on his shot, right? 这可不是一般自重的摄影师会做的事情-- 在他的照片上放一些假惺惺的图标,对不对?
cheesy:adj.干酪质的;下等的;漂亮的;
and yet you have to do it sometimes to narrate these points. 但是你有时候还是得做一下以阐述这些观点。
narrate:vt.叙述;给…作旁白;vi.叙述;讲述;
But, in any case, the deflation of this glacier since 1984 has been higher than the Eiffel Tower, higher than the Empire State Building. 但是,不管怎样,自从1984年以来,这个冰川的缩小 已经超过了埃菲尔铁塔的高度,超过了帝国大厦的高度。
deflation:n.通货紧缩;放气;
A tremendous amount of ice has been let out of these valleys as it's retreated and deflated , gone back up valley. 在冰川消退,收缩,回归的过程中, 这些峡谷流失了数量巨大的冰
deflated:adj.泄气的;v.抽气;使泄气(deflate的过去式和过去分词);
These changes in the alpine world are accelerating . 在阿尔卑斯范围发生的变化正在加速。
accelerating:adj.促进的,[物]加速的;催化的;
It's not static . 它不是静态的。
static:adj.静止的; n.[物]静电(干扰);
Particularly in the world of sea ice, the rate of natural change is outstripping predictions of just a few years ago and the processes either are accelerating or the predictions were too low to begin with. 特别是在海洋冰川的世界里, 自然变化的速度已经超过了才几年前的预测 或者说这些过程在加速 或者说这些预测一开始就太慢了。
Particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; outstripping:vt.超过;胜过;比…跑得快(outstrip的变形); predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式); processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式);
But in any case, there are big, big changes happening as we speak. 但是不管怎样,我们说的这会儿还有很大很大的变化在发生。
So, here's another time-lapse shot of Columbia. 呃,这是另一组定时拍摄的哥伦比亚。
And you see where it ended in these various spring days, 你看到它春天每次结束的地方都不同。
June, May, then October. 六月,五月,然后十月。
Now we turn on our time lapse. 现在我们启动定时拍摄。
This camera was shooting every hour. 这个摄相机每小时拍一次。
Geologic process in action here. 正在发生的地理变化。
Geologic:adj.地质的;地质学上的;
And everybody says, well don't they advance in the winter time. 每个人会说,难道它们冬天不会扩大吗?
No. It was retreating through the winter because it's an unhealthy glacier. 不会。整个冬天它都在后退因为它是一座不健康的冰川。
unhealthy:不健康的
Finally catches up to itself, it advances. 终于它恢复过来,向前扩张。
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
And you can look at these pictures over and over again because there's such a strange, bizarre fascination in seeing these things you don't normally get to see come alive. 你可以一遍又一遍地看这些照片 因为看到这些东西是那么奇怪,稀奇却让人着迷 你平常不会看到他们生动的一面。
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地; bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等); fascination:n.魅力;魔力;入迷; normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地;
We've been talking about seeing is believing and seeing the unseen at TED Global. 我们在这里讨论看得到的才是可信的 在TED Global看到从没见过的事物。
unseen:adj.看不见的,未看见的;未经预习的;n.(事前未看过原文的)即席翻译;
That's what you see with these cameras. 这是你通过这些镜头可以看到的。
The images make the invisible visible. 图像让看不出的变得可见。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
These huge crevasses open up. 这些巨大的裂缝打开了。
crevasses:n.裂缝;破口,崩溃处;
These great ice islands break off -- and now watch this. 这些大冰岛脱离了-- 现在来看这个
This was springtime this year -- a huge collapse. That happened in about a month, the loss of all that ice. 这是今年的春季-- 一场大崩塌。那是在一个月之内发生的, 所有的冰量流失。
springtime:n.春天;春季;初期;
So that's where we started three years ago, way out on the left, and that's where we were a few months ago, the last time we went into Columbia. 这是我们三年前开始时的地方, 远在左边,而那是几个月前到达的地方, 我们上次进入哥伦比亚。
To give you a feeling for the scale of the retreat, we did another cheesy illustration. 让你感觉一下消退规模有多大, 我们做了另一个假惺惺的图标。
With British double-decker buses. 用英国的双层巴士。
double-decker:双层公共汽车;双层三明治
If you line up 295 of those nose to tail, that's about how far back that was. 如果你首尾相连排上295辆,大概就是它往后了多远。
It's a long way. 很长的一段路。
On up to Iceland. 在冰岛上。
And here, if you watch, you can see the terminus retreating, you can see this river being formed, you can see it deflating. 这里,如果你注意的话,可以看到边界在消退, 你可以看到正在形成的河流, 你可以看到它在收缩。
terminus:n.终点;终点站;界标;界石;
Without the photographic process, you would never see this. This is invisible. 没有摄影过程的话,你是不可能看到的。这是无形之中进行的。
You can stand up there your whole life and never see this, but the camera records it. 你可以一辈子站在那儿也看不到这些事, 但是镜头把它记录下来了。
So we wind time backwards now. 现在我们往回放。
We go back a couple years in time. 我们回放到几年前。
That's where it started. 那是它开始的地方。
That's where it ended a few months ago. 那是它几个月前到达的地方。
And on up to Greenland. 在格陵兰上。
The smaller the ice mass , the faster it responds to climate. 冰的密度越小,对气候的反应越快。
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; responds:v.(口头或书面)回答,回应;作出反应;响应;(respond的第三人称单数)
Greenland took a little while to start reacting to the warming climate of the past century, but it really started galloping along about 20 years ago. 格陵兰过了一段时间才开始对 过去一个世纪的气候变暖产生反应, 但它从20年前开始加速。
reacting:v.起反应;(对…)作出反应;回应;(react的现在分词) galloping:adj.迅速增加(或蔓延)的;v.飞奔,奔驰;奔跑;(gallop的现在分词)
And there's been a tremendous increase in the temperature up there. 而且在那儿有很大的温度提升。
It's a big place. All ice. 它是一个辽阔的地方。到处是冰。
All those colors are ice and it goes up to about two miles thick, just a gigantic dome that comes in from the coast and rises in the middle. 所有颜色都是冰,有两英里那么厚, 就是一个巨大的圆顶,从海岸边来,从中间升起。
gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的; dome:n.圆屋顶;vi.成圆顶状;vt.加圆屋顶于…上;
There's one glacier in Greenland that puts more ice into the global ocean than all the other glaciers in the northern hemisphere combined: the Ilulissat Glacier. 在格陵兰有一座冰川 排入地球海洋的冰 比北半球所有冰川加起来还要多: 伊卢利萨特冰川
We have some cameras on the south edge of the Ilulissat, watching the calving face as it goes through this dramatic retreat. 我们在伊卢利萨特的南边安置了几个摄相机, 看着冰解面戏剧性的消退。
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
Here's a two year record of what that looks like. 这里记录了过去两年的景象。
The helicopter is in front of the calving face for scale, and it is quickly dwarfed . 直升机在前面来表明冰解面的规模,很快它变得很小。
dwarfed:vi.变矮小;n.侏儒,矮子;vt.使矮小;adj.矮小的;
The calving face is four and a half miles across and in this shot, as we pull back, you're only seeing about a mile and a half of it. 这张照片中冰解面跨越4.5英里, 在这张图片中,当我们向后退时,你能看到只是他它的大约1.5英里的部分。
So imagine how big this is and how much ice is charging out. 想象一下这有多大 冲出来的冰有多少。
The interior of Greenland is to the right. 格陵兰的内陆在右边
interior:n.内部;内陆;内地;里面;adj.内部的;里面的;
It's flowing out to the Atlantic Ocean on the left. 它涌进左边的大西洋。
Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
Icebergs , many many many times the size of this building are roaring out to sea. 冰山,比这座建筑大很多很多很多倍的冰山咆哮着进入海洋。
Icebergs:na.冰山; (iceberg的复数) roaring:adj.咆哮的; n.咆哮; v.咆哮; (roar的现在分词)
We just downloaded these pictures a couple weeks ago as you can see , June 25th, with monster calving events happening. 我们几个星期前下载了这些照片 你们可以看到,六月二十五号, 庞大的冰解活动正在发生。
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; monster:n.怪物;恶魔;庞然大物;adj.巨大的;
I'll show you one of those in a second . 很快我会向你们展示到其中的一个。
in a second:立刻,很快;
This glacier has doubled its flow speed in the past 15 years. 在过去的15年冰川的涌动速度已经加快了一倍。
It now goes at a 125 ft a day, dumping all this ice into the ocean. 现在它每天前进125英尺,把所有的冰往海洋里倾泻。
It tends to go in these pulses , about every three days, but on average, 125 ft a day, twice the rate it did 20 years ago. 约每三天,它以这种脉动的形式前进 但平均下来每天125英尺, 是它20年前速度的两倍。
pulses:n.[电子]脉冲(pulse的复数); v.使跳动;
Okay. We had a team out watching this glacier, and we recorded the biggest calving event that's ever been put on film. 好。我们有一个团队在观察这座冰川, 我们记录下了电影从未记录过的最大冰解活动。
We had nine cameras going. 我们有9台相机在运转。
This is what a couple of the cameras saw. 这是其中几台摄相机看到的。
A 400-foot-tall calving face breaking off. 一个400英尺高的冰解面正在脱离。
Huge, huge icebergs rolling over. 很大,很大的冰山正在滚下来。
Okay, how big was that? It's hard to get it. 好,那有多大?这很难想象。
So an illustration again, gives you a feeling for scale. 再来对比一下,让你感觉一下规模有多大。
[Approximately] a mile of retreat in 75 minutes across the calving face of that particular vent, three miles wide. 那个排放口上的整个冰解面[大概]75分钟退一英里 冰解面有三英里宽。
The block was three-fifths of a mile deep and if you compare the expanse of the calving face to the Tower Bridge in London, about 20 bridges wide. 这个冰团有五分之三英里深 假如你拿冰解面的跨度和 伦敦塔桥作对比,约有20个桥宽。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; expanse:n.宽阔;广阔的区域;苍天;膨胀扩张;
Or if you take an American reference , to the U.S. Capitol Building and you pack 3,000 Capitol Buildings into that block, it would be equivalent to how large that block was. 或者你举个美国的例子,比如美国国会大厦 那你在那个冰团里可以堆3,000座国会大厦, 才会和冰团的大小相等。
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用; Capitol:n.美国国会大厦;(美国)州议会大厦; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
All of that just in 75 minutes. 所有那些就发生在75分钟里。
Now I've come to the conclusion after spending a lot of time learning about climate change that we don't have a problem of economics, technology and public policy. 现在我可以总结了 花了很多时间在气候变化上后 那就是我们的问题不在于经济,技术和公共政策。
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
We have a problem of perception . 我们的问题在于认知。
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
The policy and the economics and the technology are serious enough issues, but we actually can deal with them. 政策,经济和科技是足够严重的问题, 但我们实际上是可以解决它们的。
I'm certain that we can. 我确信我们可以。
But what we have is a perception problem because not enough people really get it yet. 但是我们有的是认知问题 因为还没有足够的人真正认识到。
You're an elite audience. You get it. 你们是精英观众群。你们认识到了。
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物;
Fortunately , a lot of the political leaders in the major countries of the world are an elite audience that for the most part gets it now. 很幸运,很多世界上主要国家的政治领袖 是精英观众群,大部分现在认识到了。
Fortunately:adv.幸运地; for the most part:adv.在极大程度上,多半;
But we still need to bring a lot of people along with us. 但是我们还需要团结更多人。
And that's where I think organizations like TED, like the Extreme Ice Survey can have a terrific impact on human perception and bring us along. 我认为像TED这样的组织, 像“极端冰层调查”在这里可以有很大的影响到 人们的认知并把大家团结起来。
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Because I believe we have an opportunity right now. 因为我相信当下我们有一个机会。
We are nearly on the edge of a crisis , but we still have an opportunity to face the greatest challenge of our generation and, in fact, of our century. 我们已经接近危机的边缘了, 我们还有一个机会来面对我们这代最大的挑战 事实上,我们这个世纪的最大挑战。
on the edge of:adv.几乎;濒于;在…边缘; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
This is a call to arms to do the right thing for ourselves and for the future. 这是使命 召唤我们为自己和未来做正确的事情。
I hope that we have the wisdom to let the angels of our better nature rise to the occasion and do what needs to be done. Thank you. 我希望我们的智慧可以让我们的天性化为天使 为这个时机而腾起,做我们该做的事情。谢谢。
wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; rise to the occasion:应付自如;
(Applause) (掌声)