|
|
JaapDeRoode_2014Y-_蝴蝶如何自我治疗_
|
So infectious diseases , right? |
说到传染病 |
infectious:adj.传染的;传染性的;易传染的; diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
|
Infectious diseases are still the main cause of human suffering and death around the world. |
传染病仍然是全球人类 生病和死亡的主因。 |
Every year, millions of people die of diseases such as T.B., malaria , HIV , around the world and even in the United States. |
每年,数以万计的人们死于 肺结核、疟疾、以及艾滋病 |
malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气; HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
Every year, thousands of Americans die of seasonal flu. |
甚至在美国,每年都有成千上万的人因流感致命。 |
seasonal:adj.季节的;周期性的;依照季节的;
|
Now of course, humans, we are creative . Right? |
人类不是很有创意吗? |
creative:adj.创造性的;
|
We have come up with ways to protect ourselves against these diseases. |
我们想出不少办法保护自己, |
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
|
We have drugs and vaccines . |
用药物和疫苗抵抗传染病。 |
vaccines:n.[药][计]疫苗;
|
And we're conscious -- we learn from our experiences and come up with creative solutions. |
我们十分谨慎地总结经验 得出创新的解决办法。 |
conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的;
|
We used to think we're alone in this, but now we know we're not. |
我们以为只有人类才懂医学 |
We're not the only medical doctors. |
但是其实不然 |
Now we know that there's a lot of animals out there that can do it too. |
许多其他动物也有类似的机制 |
Most famous, perhaps, chimpanzees . |
最典型的是大猩猩 |
chimpanzees:n.[脊椎]黑猩猩(chimpanzee的复数);
|
Not so much different from us, they can use plants to treat their intestinal parasites . |
和人类差不多 它们会利用植物清理肠道寄生虫 |
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; intestinal:adj.肠的; parasites:n.[基医]寄生虫;[生物]寄生生物(parasite的复数);
|
But the last few decades have shown us that other animals can do it too: elephants, porcupines , sheep, goats, you name it. |
几十年的研究发现很多动物都会保护自己 大象、豪猪、绵羊、山羊…数不胜数 |
porcupines:[脊椎]豪猪;[脊椎]箭猪;
|
And even more interesting than that is that recent discoveries are telling us that insects and other little animals with smaller brains can use medication too. |
更有趣的是,最近的研究发现 昆虫和其他小型生物也懂得医疗 |
medication:n.药;药物;
|
The problem with infectious diseases, as we all know, is that pathogens continue to evolve , and a lot of the drugs that we have developed are losing their efficacy . |
我们都知道传染病的病原体 不断演化。 我们过去开发的一些药物 正在逐渐失效 |
pathogens:n.[基医]病原体;病原菌;[基医]致病菌; evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成; efficacy:n.功效,效力;
|
And therefore, there is this great need to find new ways to discover drugs that we can use against our diseases. |
因此我们更需要不断开发新药物 来应对不断变化的病原体。 |
Now, I think that we should look at these animals, and we can learn from them how to treat our own diseases. |
现在我们来研究一下这些动物 看看从它们身上哪些是值得借鉴的 |
As a biologist , I have been studying monarch butterflies for the last 10 years. |
作为生物学家,我研究了十年帝王斑蝶 |
biologist:n.生物学家; monarch:n.君主,帝王;最高统治者;
|
Now, monarchs are extremely famous for their spectacular migrations from the U.S. and Canada down to Mexico every year, where millions of them come together, but it's not why I started studying them. |
帝王斑蝶以它们壮观的迁徙而闻名 每年不计其数的帝王斑蝶来到一起 从美国和加拿大迁徙到墨西哥 但这并非我研究它们的原因 |
monarchs:n.君主(monarch的复数); extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; migrations:[动][地质]迁移;
|
I study monarchs because they get sick. |
我研究它们是因为它们会生病 |
They get sick like you. They get sick like me. |
就像在座的你我 |
And I think what they do can tell us a lot about drugs that we can develop for humans. |
我认为我们可以从它们身上得到启发 来开发适用于人类的药物 |
Now, the parasites that monarchs get infected with are called ophryocystis elektroscirrha -- a mouthful. |
帝王斑蝶身上的寄生虫叫做 |
infected:adj.带菌的; v.传染; (infect的过去分词和过去式)
|
What they do is they produce spores , millions of spores on the outside of the butter fly that are shown as little specks in between the scales of the butter fly. |
这些寄生虫在蝶身上 引起大量的孢子 可以从鳞片夹缝中看见这些细小的斑点 |
spores:n.[生物]孢子(spore的复数);v.形成芽孢(spore的三单形式); butter:n.黄油;奶油;v.涂黄油于;
|
And this is really detrimental to the monarch. |
它们威胁着帝王斑蝶的健康 |
detrimental to:有害的;
|
It shortens their lifespan , it reduces their ability to fly, it can even kill them before they're even adults. |
缩短了它们的寿命 影响它们的飞行能力 甚至导致它们还没成年就死亡。 |
shortens:vt.缩短;减少;变短;vi.缩短;变短; lifespan:n.寿命;预期生命期限;预期使用期限;
|
Very detrimental parasite. |
这种寄生虫非常致命。 |
As part of my job, I spend a lot of time in the greenhouse growing plants, and the reason for this is that monarchs are extremely picky eaters . |
我工作时经常需要在温室里种植植物 因为帝王斑蝶十分挑食 |
greenhouse:n.温室;暖房; picky:adj.挑剔的;吹毛求疵的;过分讲究的; eaters:n.食者;
|
They only eat milkweed as larvae . |
它们只吃乳草的幼草 |
milkweed:n.乳草属植物;马利筋属植物;野参类; larvae:n.幼虫;幼体(larva的复数形式);
|
Luckily, there are several species of milkweed that they can use, and all these milkweeds have cardenolides in them. |
幸好我找到了几种它们食用的乳草。 这些乳草中含有卡烯内酯, |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类; milkweeds:n.乳草属植物;马利筋属植物;野参类;
|
These are chemicals that are toxic . |
是一种具有毒性的物质 |
chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数) toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的;
|
They're toxic to most animals, but not to monarchs. |
奇怪的是它对帝王斑蝶无害 |
In fact, monarchs can take up the chemicals, put it in their own bodies, and it makes them toxic against their predators , such as birds. |
帝王斑蝶吸收了这种毒素 携带这种毒素在体内 用于对付诸如鸟类的天敌 |
predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
|
And what they do, then, is advertise this toxicity through their beautiful warning colorations with this orange, black and white . |
它们用身上鲜艳的黄黑白斑纹 来广告自己的毒性。 一种自然警告标志。 |
advertise:v.做广告;登广告;(在报纸、公共场所公告牌、互联网等上)公布;展现; toxicity:n.[毒物]毒性; colorations:n.着色;染色; black and white:adj.印刷的;黑白混合的;用笔写的;
|
So what I did during my job is grow plants in the greenhouse, different ones, different milkweeds. |
当我在温室善尽己责, 种植不同乳草时, |
Some were toxic, including the tropical milkweed, with very high concentrations of these cardenolides. |
某些毒性很高,像是热带乳草, 有大量的强心甾 (cardenolides), |
tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的; concentrations:n.关注点;[土壤]浓聚物(concentration的复数);
|
And some were not toxic. |
某些却没有毒素。 |
And then I fed them to monarchs. |
在我喂食帝王斑蝶时, |
Some of the monarchs were healthy. They had no disease. |
某些斑蝶没有染病,很健康。 |
But some of the monarchs were sick, and what I found is that some of these milkweeds are medicinal , meaning they reduce the disease symptoms in the monarch butterflies, |
某些斑蝶则生着病, 我发现某些乳草有药效, 有效减低帝王斑蝶的症状 |
medicinal:adj.药的;药用的;治疗的(等于medicinable);有益的; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数)
|
meaning these monarchs can live longer when they are infected when feeding on these medicinal plants. |
只要它们食用这些药草, 就可以延长自己的性命。 |
And when I found this, I had this idea, and a lot of people said it was a crazy idea, but I thought, what if monarchs can use this? |
当我发现的时候, 我有了一很多人觉得很疯狂的想法 我想,如果帝王斑蝶可以应用呢? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
What if they can use these plants as their own form of medicine? |
如果它们可以把这些乳草当作药物呢? |
What if they can act as medical doctors? |
如果它们可以为自己开药房呢? |
So my team and I started doing experiments. |
我们的团队开始实验, |
In the first types of experiments, we had caterpillars , and gave them a choice: medicinal milkweed versus non-medicinal milkweed. |
在第一类实验里, 我们给幼虫两种选择: 有药性的乳草和没有药性的乳草。 |
caterpillars:n.毛毛虫(caterpillar的复数); versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
|
And then we measured how much they ate of each species over their lifetime. |
然后测量它们一生各自吃了多少。 |
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式)
|
And the result, as so often in science, was boring : |
就像大部分的科学研究结果一样,答案很无聊: |
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
|
Fifty percent of their food was medicinal. Fifty percent was not. |
有药性和没有药性的各半。 |
These caterpillars didn't do anything for their own welfare . |
这些幼虫没有为自己做出有利的选择。 |
welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利;
|
So then we moved on to adult butterflies, and we started asking the question whether it's the mothers that can medicate their offspring . |
于是我们转为研究成蝶。 我们想 母蝶会对自己的幼虫用药吗? |
medicate:vt.用药治疗;加药品于; offspring:n.后代,子孙;产物;
|
Can the mothers lay their eggs on medicinal milkweed that will make their future offspring less sick? |
它们会把卵产在有药的乳草上, 减轻幼虫的症状? |
We have done these experiments now over several years, and always get the same results. |
我们复制这个实验多年, 得到一样的结果。 |
What we do is we put a monarch in a big cage, a medicinal plant on one side, a non-medicinal plant on the other side , and then we measure the number of eggs that the monarchs lay on each plant. |
我们把帝王斑蝶放进大笼子里, 一边的乳草是有药性的,一边没有, 然后测量它们在两种乳草上的产卵数, |
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
|
And what we find when we do that is always the same. |
获得的结果是一致的。 |
What we find is that the monarchs strongly prefer the medicinal milkweed. |
我们发现帝王斑蝶偏好药性乳草。 |
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升;
|
In other words, what these females are doing is they're laying 68 percent of their eggs in the medicinal milkweed. |
换句话说 雌蝶把 68% 的卵产在药性乳草上。 |
Intriguingly , what they do is they actually transmit the parasites when they're laying the eggs. |
事实上,在它们产卵的时候, 也不可避免的 |
Intriguingly:adv.有趣地;有魅力地; transmit:v.传送;发射;播送;传播;传染;
|
They cannot prevent this. |
传播了寄生虫。 |
They can also not medicate themselves. |
它们不能治疗自己。 |
But what these experiments tell us is that these monarchs, these mothers, can lay their eggs on medicinal milkweed that will make their future offspring less sick. |
但这个实验告诉我们 帝王斑蝶把卵产在有药性的乳草上, 减轻幼虫的病况。 |
Now, this is a really important discovery, I think, not just because it tells us something cool about nature, but also because it may tell us something more about how we should find drugs. |
这个发现很重要。 不只是因为它显示了大自然的奥妙, 更提醒我们应该如何开发药物。 |
Now, these are animals that are very small and we tend to think of them as very simple. |
这些动物都很小, 我们曾经觉得它们构造单纯, |
They have tiny little brains, yet they can do this very sophisticated medication. |
它们的大脑很小, 但它们却懂得利用自然药草。 |
sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
|
Now, we know that even today, most of our drugs derive from natural products, including plants, and in indigenous cultures, traditional healers often look at animals to find new drugs. |
直至今日, 我们从自然中提取药物,包括植物, 在一些原始文化中, 传统疗法时常借镜动物来找新药方。 |
derive:vt.源于;得自;vi.起源; indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; traditional:传统的,惯例的, healers:n.医治者;治疗物(healer的复数);
|
In this way, elephants have told us how to treat stomach upset , and porcupines have told people how to treat bloody diarrhea . |
大象教我们如何治疗肠胃不适, 刺猬教我们如何处理腹泻。 |
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱; bloody:adj.血腥的;血淋淋的;v.血染; diarrhea:n.腹泻,痢疾;
|
What I think is important, though, is to move beyond these large-brained mammals and give these guys more credit, these simple animals, these insects that we tend to think of as very, very simple with tiny little brains. |
我想,最重要的是, 除了那些大脑发达的哺乳类动物外, 我们也应该更加注重 那些构造简单的动物、昆虫。 |
large-brained:adj.有大脑的; mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数)
|
The discovery that these animals can also use medication opens up completely new avenues , and I think that maybe one day, we will be treating human diseases |
发现这些动物懂得用药, 让我们进入全新领域。 也许有一天, |
avenues:n.[建]林荫道,[公路]大街; treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词)
|
with drugs that were first discovered by butterflies, and I think that is an amazing opportunity worth pursuing . |
我们会用蝴蝶找到的药物来治疗人类, 我想这个机会是值得把握的。 |
pursuing:v.追求;致力于;贯彻;跟踪;追赶;(pursue的现在分词)
|
Thank you so much. |
谢谢各位。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |