|
|
Home.Economics-家庭经济学
|
Chapter one. |
第一章 |
This is the story of the Hayworth family. |
这是有关海沃思一家人的故事 |
Oh, no. - Oh! |
哦不 - 哦 |
Three siblings who loved each other. |
三个兄弟姐妹相亲相爱 |
siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
|
What do I owe you ? - $1,150, brother. |
我欠你多少 - 1150 兄弟 |
I owe you:我欠你的;
|
Oh, dang . - Okay. |
见鬼 - 好了 |
dang:int.讨厌;见鬼(等于damn);
|
But money sometimes got in the way . |
但一谈到钱就不好说了 |
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
|
Sarah was the middle child and the one with the least money. |
萨拉是老二 钱最少 |
She lived in a tiny apartment with her wife, Denise, and their two kids. |
她和老婆丹尼斯住在一个很小的公寓里 还有她们的两个孩子 |
They were always on top of each other. |
她们要摞起来睡 |
Literally . |
完全是字面意思哈 |
Literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
Hi, I was just calling about the counselor position. |
嗨 我打来是想问一下法律顾问的职位 |
counselor:n.顾问;法律顾问;参事(等于counsellor);
|
Oh, you got the job. |
哦 你被雇用了 |
So you were supposed to fill the position, but you gave it to yourself. |
你是要招聘工作人员的 但你却把这个岗位给了自己是吗 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
That's fun. Quick question. |
可真逗 那我问你 |
Why did you even have me come in? |
当初你为什么要让我去面试呢 |
I mean, you didn't even validate my parking, so- |
你甚至都不给我一张停车票 害得我还 |
validate:v.证实;确认;使生效;批准;认可;
|
And we are so happy for you. |
我们真为你高兴 |
It's a tough job market out there right now. |
现在外面的工作很不好找 |
Good luck, and let us know if anything else opens up. |
祝你好运 如果再有开放的职位请告诉我们一下 |
Can I just say one more thing? |
我能加句话吗 |
There is a better job out there for you. |
会有更好的职位等着你的 |
In the meantime , do you want to bake some cookies and look at pictures of Cate Blanchett in suits? |
你想不想烤点饼干 然后看看凯特.布兰切特穿西服的照片 |
In the meantime:在此期间;于此际; bake:n.烤; v.焙; (变得)灼热; Cate:n.美食;佳肴;外购食物;
|
Yes, I would. |
乐意之至 |
I thought we were going to Uncle Connor's place. |
我以为今天要去康纳叔叔家呢 |
Yeah, his house has a second floor. |
是啊 他家有两层呢 |
We have a second floor. - You're sitting on it! |
我们家也有两层啊 - 你们不就正坐在二层吗 |
A few minutes away, |
这头 |
Sarah's younger brother Connor had moved to the Bay Area with his wife and daughter. |
萨拉的弟弟康纳和自己的老婆还有女儿 搬去了旧金山湾区 |
He'd made a fortune in finance , so much that he bought his house from Matt Damon. |
他在金融业赚了不少钱 钱多的他从马特.达蒙手里买下了房子 |
fortune:n.财富;命运;运气;v.给予财富,偶然发生 finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
|
Yes, that Matt Damon. |
没错 就是这个马特.达蒙 |
They even had a live-in nanny . |
他们还有个住家保姆 |
live-in:adj.同居的;住在雇主家的; nanny:n.保姆;母山羊;
|
Lupe, can you do the thing? |
卢佩 能给来个那个吗 |
A nanny who took care of all of them. |
一个保姆 照顾一家子人 |
Daddy, when do the cousins get here? |
爸 我的表亲们什么时候来啊 |
Soon, baby. Today's gonna be epic . |
很快了 今天一定会很有趣的 |
epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品;
|
Whole family together... - Yeah, it's gonna be lit. |
一大家子人都在一起 - 一定很好玩 |
That's my girl. |
好姑娘 |
Lupe. |
卢佩 |
Come on. |
来嘛 |
You're the best, Lupe! |
你是最棒的 卢佩 |
In between Connor and Sarah financially was the oldest sibling, |
财务状况在康纳和萨拉之间的那个 是他们的大哥 |
financially:adv.财政上;金融上;
|
Tom. |
汤姆 |
He was middle-class , but definitely not middlebrow. |
他是个中产阶级 但是文化教养可不一般 |
middle-class:adj.中产阶级的;中层社会的; definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
|
What? |
怎么了 |
Yeah, you know what? You're right. |
你说的对 |
It's the wrong kind of funny. |
这幽默的不好 |
- Good point. |
没错 |