返回首页

HindouOumarouIbrahim_2019W-_土着知识与科学双剑合壁应对气候变化_-

I guess all of you have a smartphone or an iPhone, and this morning, probably you checked on the weather, if its going to be rainy to carry your umbrella, if it is going to be sunny to use your sunglasses, or if it is going to be cold to have an extra coat. 我猜你们全都有智能手机或苹果手机 今天早上,你大概查看了天气 天会下雨吗?需要带雨伞吗? 会放晴吗?需要太阳眼镜吗? 还是会带凉意,需要多添衣?
smartphone:n.智能手机; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
It's going to give you, sometime, good information and sometime not. 它的资讯有时候很有用 有时则不然
Let me tell you, my best app is my grandmother. 我告诉你 我最好的应用程式就是我祖母
(Laughter) (笑声)
She's called Mamadda. 她叫玛玛安达
She can tell you not only today's weather but she can predict the next 12 months, if it's going to be a good rain season or not. 她不但能告诉你今天的天气 她还能预测未来 12 个月 会否常降沛雨甘霖
predict:v.预报;预言;预告;
She can tell you just by observing her environment, by observing the wind direction, the cloud position, the bird migration , the size of fruits, the plant flowers. 她只要观察环境就知道 她观察风向 观察云的位置 观察雀鸟的迁徙 观察果实的大小 观察植物花卉
observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词); migration:n.迁移;迁徙;转移;移居;
She can tell you by observing the behavior of her own cattle. 她只要观察自己家畜的 行为表现就知道
That's how she knows better the weather and the ecosystem that she's living in. 她对居住一带的天气 和生态系统瞭如指掌 就是这个原因
ecosystem:n.生态系统;
I'm coming from a pastoralist community who are cattle herders . 我来自牧民社群 以看守家畜为生
pastoralist:n.田园诗(或曲,剧,画等)的作者; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; herders:n.牧人;(美俚)监狱看守;
We are nomadic . 我们是游牧民族
nomadic:adj.游牧的;流浪的;游动的;
We move from one place to another one to find water and pasture . 由一处迁移到他方 逐水草而居
pasture:n.草地;牧场;牧草;v.放牧;吃草;
We can move up to a thousand kilometers, the size of California, within one year. 我们一年内可以跨越一千公里 就是加州那么大的地方
And this life helps us to live in harmony with our ecosystem. 这种生活让我们与生态系统和谐共存
harmony:n.协调;和睦;融洽;调和;
We understand each other. 我们彼此了解
For us, the nature is our supermarket, where we can collect our food, our water. 大自然就是我们的超级市场 我们在大自然收集食物 收集饮水
It's our pharmacy where we can collect our medicinal plants. 大自然是我们的药店 提供所需的医药植物
pharmacy:n.药房;配药学,药剂学;制药业;一批备用药品; medicinal:adj.药的;药用的;治疗的(等于medicinable);有益的;
But it's our school, where we can learn better how to protect it and how it can give us back what we need. 大自然是我们的学校 它教导我们怎样妥善保护它 我们也学会它会怎样回馈我们
But with the climate change impact , we are experiencing a different impact. 但气候变化 对我们的影响也不尽相同
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
In my community, we have one of the top five fresh waters in Africa. 我的社群 有全非洲五个最佳淡水水源中的一个
It's Lake Chad. 那就是查德湖
When my mother was born, 我妈妈出生的时候
Lake Chad used to be about 25,000 kilometers square of water. 查德湖的面积约二万五千平方公里
When I was born, 30 years ago, it was 10,000 kilometers square. 到三十年前我出生时 它的面积是一万平方公里
And actually now, it's about 1,200 kilometers square of water. 而实际上到了现在 它只有约一千二百平方公里
Ninety percent of this water just evaporated , disappeared . 百分之九十的水蒸发消失了
evaporated:adj.浓缩的;脱水的;蒸发干燥的;v.蒸发;消失(evaporate的过去式);失去水分; disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
And you have more than 40 million people living around this lake and depending on it. 有四千多万人 依湖过活、靠湖为生
They are pastoralists . 有牧场主
pastoralists:n.牧民;放牧者;田园诗的作者(pastoralist的复数形式);
They are fishermen. 有渔夫
And they are farmers. 有农夫
They do not depend on the end of the month's salary. 他们不需要每个月靠薪资糊口
They depend on the rainfall . 他们靠的是雨水
rainfall:n.降雨;降雨量;
They depend on the crops that are growing or the pasture for their cattle. 靠的是自己种植的农作物 或他们家畜所需的牧场
The shrinking resources , you have many communities that are fighting to get access. 资源萎缩 使多个社群相争以抢占资源
shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词) resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
The first come is the first served. 先到先得
The second have to fight unto death. 后来的人就要打到你死我活
unto:prep.到,直到;向(等于to);
So climate change is impacting our environment by changing our social life, because the role of man and woman in this region , it's different. 气候变化正改变我们的社交生活 继而影响我们的环境 因为两性在这个地区的角色是不同的
impacting:[力]冲击;[力]撞击;[物]碰撞(impact的现在分词); region:n.地区;范围;部位;
Man is supposed to feed his family, take care of his community, and if he cannot do that, his dignity is under threat. 男人应该养家活口 照顾社群 如果做不到 就有损他的尊严
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
He cannot do anything else to pay it back. 任他使出浑身解数,也无法补救
So climate change takes our men far away from us. 气候变化把男性带到远方
That is the migration. 也就是移居
They can migrate to a big city where they can stay for six or 12 months, where they get a job, they can send back money. 他们可以移居到大城市 住上一年半载 找份工作,把钱寄回家
migrate:vi.移动;随季节而移居;移往;vt.使移居;使移植;
If they didn't get it, they have to jump into the Mediterranean and migrate to Europe. 如果他们赚不到钱 他们就要跳到地中海 移居到欧洲
Mediterranean:n.地中海;adj.地中海的;
Some of them die there, but none of them stop going. 有些人就在那边死去 但没有令人却步
Of course, it's sad for the hosting country, who are developed countries, who have to adapt to host the migrants coming. 这对于东道国当然可悲 这些发达国家 需要适应和接收移民
hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词) adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应; migrants:n.移民;移居者;候鸟(migrant的复数形式);
But how about those who are left behind, the women and the children who have to play the role of men, the role of women, who have to take care of the security, of the food, of the health of the entire family, children and old people? 那对于留在故乡的人呢? 妇孺担当男人的角色 女人的使命 变成确保家人的安全 确保一家大小不缺食物 身体健康
So those women for me, they are my heroes, because they are innovators , they are solution makers, they are changing the little of the resources into the big for the community. 我觉得这些女性是英雄 因为她们创新,她们会解决问题 她们用仅余的资源 让整个社群丰足
innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式); solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
So those are my people. 那是我的同胞
So we use our indigenous people's traditional knowledge to get better resilience to what we need to survive. 我们会用土着的传统知识 提高适应生存所需的能力
indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的; traditional:传统的,惯例的, resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
Our knowledge is not only for our communities. 我们的知识不只是供自己社群使用
It's to share with each and others who are living with us. 而是跟与我们同住的人互相分享
And indigenous peoples around the world are saving 80 percent of the world's biodiversity . 全世界的土着 救活了全球百分之八十的多样化生物
biodiversity:n.生物多样性;
That's the scientists who say that. 这可是科学家说的
Indigenous peoples in the Amazon , you can find the most diverse ecosystem, better than the national park . 亚马逊的土着 拥有最多样化的生态系统 甚至比国家公园里的的更好
Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的; national park:n.国家公园;
The indigenous peoples from the Pacific, the grandma and the grandpa, they know where to get food after the hurricane hits them. 太平洋的土着 老公公、老太太 在龙卷风袭击后 知道要在哪里找食物
hurricane:n.飓风,暴风;
So the knowledge that our peoples know is helping us to survive and helping other peoples also to survive the climate change impact. 所以我们这群人的知识 正幫助我们生存,也幫助其他人 让他们在气候变化中存活
The world is losing. 地球正节节败退
We lost already 60 percent of the species , and it's increasing every day. 我们损失了百分之六十的物种 这个数字每天上升
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
So one day, I took a scientist to my community. 有一天我把一位科学家带到我的社群
I said, you are giving the good weather information through the TV and radio, but how about coming to my people? 我说你在电视和电台上 发放有用的天气资讯 不如亲自讲给我的族人听?
And then they come, they sit around , and suddenly, as we are nomadic, we just start packing our stuff , and then they say, like, "Are we moving?" 族人来了 坐下了 突然,因为我们是游牧民族 大家都开始收拾行装 然后科学家问:「要搬到别处吗?」
sit around:无所事事; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
I'm like, "No, we are not moving. It's going to rain." 我说:「不是。天要下雨了。」
And they're like, "Oh, there's no cloud. How do you know it's going to rain?" 他们说:「没有云啊。 你怎么知道要下雨?」
We're like, "Yeah, it's going to rain." We pack our stuff. 我们说:「对啊,就是要下雨。」
Suddenly, heavy rain starts coming, and we are seeing the scientist running around, hiding under trees and protecting their stuff. 突然,下起滂沱大雨 我们看着科学家走避,到树下避雨 保护自己的行装
We already packed ours. 我们早就收拾好了
(Laughter) (笑声)
After the end of the rain, the serious discussion starts. 雨停了,我们开始认真讨论
They say, "How do you know that it's going to rain?" 他们问:「你们怎么知道会下雨?」
We say, "Well, the old woman observed the insects taking the eggs inside their homes, and while the insect cannot talk or watch TV, they know how to predict to protect their generations, how to protect their food. 我们说:「老一辈的妇女留意到 昆虫把虫卵带回家 虽然昆虫不能说话或看电视 牠们知道如何保护后代 和如何保护食物
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
So for us it's the sign that it's going to rain in at maximum a couple of hours." 对我们来讲,就是在几小时内 必定下雨的征兆。」
maximum:n.最大限度;最大量;最高限度;adj.最高的;最多的;最大极限的;
And then they say, well, we do have knowledge, but we do not combine ecological knowledge and weather knowledge all together. 他们就说: 「我们虽有知识 但我们没有把生态系统 和天气资讯二合为一。」
ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的;
So that's how I started working with meteorological scientists and my communities to give better information to get peoples adapted to climate change. 我从此开始 与自己的社群和气象科学家联手 发放更有用的资讯 让人适应气候变化
meteorological:adj.气象的;气象学的; adapted:adj.适于…的; v.使适应,使适合; (adapt的过去分词和过去式)
I think, if we put together all the knowledge systems that we have -- science, technology , traditional knowledge -- we can give the best of us to protect our peoples, to protect our planet, to restore the ecosystem that we are losing. 我想,如果我们 把所有知识系统结合起来 如科学、科技 传统知识等 我们便可尽己所能保护群众 保护这星球 恢复正失去的生态系统
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原;
I did that in another way, also. 我还会用另一个方式去做
I used a tool that I really love a lot. 我用一个我很喜欢的工具
It's called a 3D participatory mapping: participatory, because it can bring women, men, youth, elders, all the intergenerational peoples. 它名为参与式立体模型 参与式的意思是它可以把男和女 老和幼 几代人都投入其中
participatory:adj.供人分享的;吸引参与的; intergenerational:adj.两代间的;
Then they use science-based knowledge, and the community comes together, they build this map, they figure out all the knowledge that we have about where is our sacred forest, where is our water point, where is our corridor , where is the place that we move during each season. 然后用科学为本的知识 凝聚社群力量 ,建立模型 把我们所知的都分辨出来 就是关于神圣森林和取水点的位置 走廊地带的位置 每季迁移的地点等的知识
corridor:n.通道;过道;走廊(一国领土通过他国境内的狭长地带);
And these tools are amazing, because it's building capacity of women, because in our communities women and men cannot sit together. 这工具的过人之处在于 它建立女性的地位 因为在我们的社群里 男女不能并坐
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
Men talk always, women just sitting there, but in the back. 话总是男人说,女人只能坐着 而且坐在后方
They are not there to take any decision. 她们不能作任何决定
So after the men figure out all the knowledge, we say, well, you call the women, "Come and have a look." 当男人理清所有知识后 就叫女人来:「来看看。」
They say, "Yes, sure," 她们说:「好啊。」
because they've already done the first work. 因为前期的功夫她们都做了
(Laughter) (笑声)
When the women come, and they look at the map, they're like, "Mm, no." 女人来的时候 她们看着模型,说:「这......不对。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
'"This is wrong. 「这是错的
Here's where I collect the medicine. Here's where I collect the food. 我是在这里收集药物 在那里收集食物
Here's where I collect --" 我是在这里......」
So we changed the knowledge in the map, and we called the men. 我们就把模型上的知识改了 我们叫男人过来
Well, they think about what women say. 他们思考女人说的话
All of them shaking their heads. 全都在摇头
'"They are right. They are right. 「她们是对的,她们是对的
They are right." 她们是对的」
So that's how we build the capacity of the women in giving them a voice in this 3D participatory mapping, so women get the detailed knowledge that can help the community to adapt. 这就是我们建立女性地位的方法 让她们在建构模型上得以发声 女性拥有较细致的知识 能幫助社群适应
And man have the bigger picture knowledge. 而男性有比较宏观的知识
So when we put it together, this map helps them to discuss but to mitigate the conflict between the communities to access the resources, to share better these resources, to restore it and to manage it for the long term. 当我们把两者合而为一 模型幫助他们讨论 也缓和了社群间为了争夺资源 引发的冲突 让资源分配更平均 让资源得以复元 让人可长远管理资源
mitigate:vt.使缓和,使减轻;vi.减轻,缓和下来; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
Our knowledge is very useful. 我们的知识很有用
Indigenous peoples' knowledge are very crucial for our planet. 土着的知识 对这星球至关重要
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
It's crucial for all the peoples. 这知识对所有人都重要
Science knowledge was discovered 200 years ago, technology 100 years ago, but indigenous peoples' knowledge, it's thousands of years ago. 科学知识二百年前被发掘 科技在一百年前开始发展 但土着的知识有着千年历史
So why we cannot put all of these together, combine those three knowledges and give the better resilience to the peoples who are getting the impact of climate change? 我们何不集百家之大成 把三种知识结合起来 让民众更加适应
And now it's not only the developing countries. 现在不只发展中的国家
It's the developed countries also. 发达国家亦然
We saw the hurricane. We saw the flood around all the places. 我们看到龙卷风 看到各地的水灾
We saw the fire, even here in California. 看到火灾,就连加州这边也有
So we need all this knowledge to come together. 所以我们需要集结知识
We need the people in the center. 我们需要让人参与其中
And we need the decision makers to change, scientists tell them, and we tell them, and we do have this knowledge. 我们需要决策者去改变 科学家叫他们改变 我们叫他们改变 我们确实有这些知识
We have 10 years to change it. 我们有十年时间改变现状
Ten years is nothing, so we need to act all together and we need to act right now. 十年其实一瞬即逝 我们需要一起行动 我们需要马上行动
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)