返回首页

HenryMarkram_2009G-_用超级计算机构造大脑_

Our mission is to build a detailed, realistic , computer model of the human brain. 我们的任务是建立 一个复杂的,可行的 人脑计算机模型。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教; realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的;
And we've done, in the past four years, a proof of concept, on a small part of the rodent brain, and with this proof of concept we are now scaling the project up to reach the human brain. 过去四年,我们已经 在一小块鼠脑上 进行概念验证, 根据这样的概念验证,我们正扩大该项目规模到 人脑大小。
proof:n.证据;证实;adj.能抵御;可防护; rodent:adj.啮齿类的;咬的,嚼的;侵蚀性的;n.[脊椎]啮齿动物; scaling:n.缩放比例; v.剥落;
Why are we doing this? 我们为什么要这样做呢?
There are three important reasons. 有三个重要原因。
The first is, it's essential for us to understand the human brain if we do want to get along in society, and I think that it is a key step in evolution . 首先,了解人类的大脑对我们来说非常重要 如果我们要继续在社会中生存 同时我认为也是进化上的关键一步。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
The second reason is, we can not keep doing animal experimentation forever, and we have to embody all our data and all our knowledge, into a working model. 第二个原因是, 我们不能总是进行动物试验, 我们要把我们所有的数据和知识包含进 一个可用模型中。
experimentation:n.实验;试验; embody:v.具体表现,体现,代表(思想或品质);包括;
It's like a Noah's Ark. It's like an archive . 好比诺亚方舟,好比一个档案馆。
archive:n.档案馆;档案文件;
And the third reason is that there are two billion people on the planet that are affected by mental disorder , and the drugs that are used today are largely empirical . 第三个原因是:地球上有20亿人 患有精神疾病, 他们的用药 主要依靠经验。
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; disorder:n.混乱;骚乱;vt.使失调;扰乱; largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; empirical:adj.经验主义的,完全根据经验的;实证的;
I think that we can come up with very concrete solutions on how to treat disorders . 我认为,我们能就如何对待疾病的 有非常具体的解决办法。
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; disorders:n.无秩序,混乱; v.[电子]扰乱(disorder的单三形式);
Now, even at this stage, we can use the brain model to explore some fundamental questions about how the brain works. 现在,即使在这个阶段, 我们可以利用大脑模型 探讨一些基本的问题 关于大脑是如何工作的。
explore:v.探索:探测:探险: fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
And here, at TED, for the first time, 这里,首次通过TED
I'd like to share with you how we're addressing one theory -- there are many theories -- one theory of how the brain works. 我想和大家分享我们如何解决 一个理论 -- 有许多理论 -- 一个关于大脑如何工作的理论。
So, this theory is that the brain creates, builds, a version of the universe. 这种理论认为大脑 创建,构建了一个版本的宇宙。
And projects this version of the universe, like a bubble , all around us. 把这个宇宙作映射, 向气泡一样,映射到我们周围。
bubble:n.泡;气泡;肥皂泡;一点感情;v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情);
Now, this is of course a topic of philosophical debate for centuries. 当然,这是数百年哲学辩论的题目。
philosophical:adj.哲学的(等于philosophic);冷静的; debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑;
But, for the first time, we can actually address this, with brain simulation , and ask very systematic and rigorous questions, whether this theory could possibly be true. 但是,有史以来,我们实际上可以解决这个问题, 依靠大脑仿真, 同时提出非常系统和严谨的问题, 这个理论是否有可能是正确的。
simulation:n.仿真;模拟;模仿;假装; systematic:adj.系统的;体系的;有系统的;[图情]分类的;一贯的,惯常的; rigorous:adj.严格的,严厉的;严密的;严酷的;
The reason why the moon is huge on the horizon is simply because our perceptual bubble does not stretch out 380,000 kilometers. 之所以月亮在地平线上是巨大的 纯粹是因为我们的知觉气泡 没有延伸到三十八万公里外。
horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围; perceptual:adj.知觉的;感知的;有知觉的; stretch out:v.伸出;伸直四肢;
It runs out of space. 用光了空间。
And so what we do is we compare the buildings within our perceptual bubble, and we make a decision. 所以我们比较建筑物 在我们的知觉气泡范围内, 我们做出一个判断。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
We make a decision it's that big, even though it's not that big, and what that illustrates is that decisions are the key things that support our perceptual bubble. It keeps it alive. 我们做出判断,那个建筑很大, 即使它并没有那么大, 这表明 判断是支持 知觉气泡的关键。判断维系了知觉气泡。
illustrates:v.阐明;举例说明(illustrate的三单形式);给…加插图;
Without decisions you cannot see, you cannot think, you cannot feel. 没有判断你不能看,不能思考, 不能感知。
And you may think that anesthetics work by sending you into some deep sleep, or by blocking your receptors so that you don't feel pain, but in fact most anesthetics don't work that way. 没准你会认为麻醉药的工作原理是 让你熟睡, 或者阻断感知器官,使你感不到疼痛, 不过,实际上多数麻醉药不是这么工作的。
anesthetics:n.麻醉药;麻醉剂(anesthetic的复数); receptors:n.[生化]受体;接受器;神经末梢(receptor的复数);
What they do is they introduce a noise into the brain so that the neurons can not understand each other. 麻醉药引入干扰 到大脑中,这样神经元互相之间不能理解。
They are confused , and you can not make a decision. 神经元糊涂了, 你也就不能做出一个判断。
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
So, while you're trying to make up your mind , what the doctor, the surgeon is doing while he's hacking away at your body, he's long gone. 所以,当你正试图弥补你的思绪的, 以为手术医生 正在做手术,实际上医生早走了。
make up your mind:下定你的决心; surgeon:n.外科医生; hacking:v.黑客行为;砍;劈;猛踢;(hack的现在分词)
He's at home having tea. 正在家里喝茶呢。
(Laughter) (笑)
So, when you walk up to a door and you open it, what you compulsively have to do to perceive is to make decisions, thousands of decisions about the size of the room, the wall, the height, the objects in this room. 当你拾阶而上打开一扇门的时候, 你不由自主的 做出判断, 成千上万的判断,诸如房间的大小, 墙壁,高度,房内物体。
compulsively:adv.强制地,强迫地; perceive:v.注意到;意识到;将…理解为;认为;
99 percent of what you see is not what comes in through the eyes. 99%的你所见, 并非来自你的眼睛。
It is what you infer about that room. 是你对这个房间推断。
infer:v.推断;推论;暗示;推理;
So I can say, with some certainty , "I think, therefore I am." 所以我可以确定的说, “我思故我在。“
certainty:n.必然;确实;确实的事情;
But I cannot say, "You think, therefore you are," 但我不能说,“你思故你在。”
because "you" are within my perceptual bubble. 因为你包含在我的知觉气泡中。
Now, we can speculate and philosophize this, but we don't actually have to for the next hundred years. 我们可以就此进行哲学思考, 但我们没必要再思考上百年。
speculate:v.推测;猜测;推断;投机;做投机买卖; philosophize:v.郑重论述;高谈阔论;
We can ask a very concrete question. 我们可以提出非常具体的问题。
'"Can the brain build such a perception ?" “大脑能建立这样一个知觉吗?”
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
Is it capable of doing it? 有能力做吗?
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
Does it have the substance to do it? 大脑有物质创造这些吗?
substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品;
And that's what I'm going to describe to you today. 这就是我今天要讲的东西。
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
So, it took the universe 11 billion years to build the brain. 宇宙用了110亿年时间创造的大脑。
It had to improve it a little bit. 宇宙一点点的完善大脑。
improve:v.改进;改善;
It had to add to the frontal part, so that you would have instincts , because they had to cope on land. 增加了额叶,所以有了本能, 因为要适应陆地生活。
frontal:adj.额的;正面的,前面的;n.额骨,额部;房屋的正面; instincts:n.本能;天性;直觉;(instinct的复数) cope:v.处理;n.大圆衣;
But the real big step was the neocortex . 不过真正的进步是大脑皮层。
neocortex:n.新(大脑)皮质;
It's a new brain. You needed it. 一个新大脑。你需要它。
The mammals needed it because they had to cope with parenthood , social interactions , complex cognitive functions. 哺乳动物需要它 因为哺乳动物需要适应父母的角色, 社会互动, 复杂的认知功能。
mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数) parenthood:n.亲子关系;父母身份; interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的;
So, you can think of the neocortex actually as the ultimate solution today, of the universe as we know it. 你可以认为大脑皮层 是现在最终解决方案, 就我们所知的宇宙。
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
It's the pinnacle , it's the final product that the universe has produced. 大脑皮层是顶峰,是宇宙的 最终产品。
pinnacle:n.高峰;小尖塔;尖峰;极点;vt.造小尖塔;置于尖顶上;置于高处;
It was so successful in evolution that from mouse to man it expanded about a thousandfold in terms of the numbers of neurons, to produce this almost frightening organ , structure . 在进化上很成功 从老鼠到人类 扩展千倍的神经元细胞, 来制造这吓人的 器官,组织。
expanded:adj.扩充的;展开的;vt.扩大(expand的过去式); thousandfold:adv.千倍地;adj.千倍的; frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词) organ:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴;管风琴;嗓音; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
And it has not stopped its evolutionary path. 它的进化没有停止。
evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的;
In fact, the neocortex in the human brain is evolving at an enormous speed. 实际上,人脑中的大脑皮层 还在飞快的进化中。
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词) enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
If you zoom into the surface of the neocortex, you discover that it's made up of little modules , 如果你放大到大脑皮层表面, 你会发现它有许多小模块组成,
made up of:由…组成,由…构成; modules:n.[计]模块(module的复数);加载模块列表;
G5 processors , like in a computer. 就像计算机里的G5处理器。
processors:n.加工机(或工人);处理器;处理机;(processor的复数)
But there are about a million of them. 只不过,大脑皮层有上百万块。
They were so successful in evolution that what we did was to duplicate them over and over and add more and more of them to the brain until we ran out of space in the skull . 这些模块在进化上非常成功 我们所作的 就是在大脑中不断的复制这些模块 直到我们用光了头骨中的空间。
duplicate:v.复制;使加倍;n.副本;复制品;adj.复制的;二重的; over and over:反复;再三; skull:n.头盖骨,脑壳;
And the brain started to fold in on itself, and that's why the neocortex is so highly convoluted . 大脑开始折叠自身, 这就是为什么大脑皮层如此褶皱。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; convoluted:adj.复杂的;费解的;旋绕的;v.盘绕;缠绕(convolute的过去分词);
We're just packing in columns , so that we'd have more neocortical columns to perform more complex functions. 我们只有成列的包装, 这样才能有更多的皮层 实现更复杂的功能。
columns:n.柱:(通常为)圆形石柱:(书,报纸印刷页上的)栏(column的复数)
So you can think of the neocortex actually as a massive grand piano , a million-key grand piano. 你可以把大脑皮层想想为 一台巨大的钢琴, 由上百万个琴键的钢琴。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; grand piano:n.大钢琴;三角钢琴;
Each of these neocortical columns would produce a note. 每一个皮层 发出一个音符。
You stimulate it; it produces a symphony . 你刺激它;大脑就奏出交响乐。
stimulate:v.刺激;激发;促进;激励; symphony:n.交响乐;谐声,和声;
But it's not just a symphony of perception. 不只是知觉的交响乐。
It's a symphony of your universe, your reality. 是你的宇宙,你的现实的交响乐。
Now, of course it takes years to learn how to master a grand piano with a million keys. 现在,当然需要很多年 才能掌握有上百万个琴键的钢琴。
That's why you have to send your kids to good schools, hopefully eventually to Oxford. 这就是为什么你送你的孩子上好学校, 希望最终上牛津。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
But it's not only education. 但不只是教育。
It's also genetics . 这也是遗传。
genetics:n.遗传学;
You may be born lucky, or you know how to master your neocortical column, and you can play a fantastic symphony. 可能你生来幸运, 或者你知道如何掌握皮层。 你可以奏出美妙的交响乐。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
In fact, there is a new theory of autism called the " intense world" theory, which suggests that the neocortical columns are super-columns. 实际上,有一个新的自闭症理论 叫做“紧张世界”理论, 提出皮层列是超级列。
autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义; intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
They are highly reactive , and they are super-plastic, and so the autists are probably capable of building and learning a symphony which is unthinkable for us. 它们超有活性,可塑性, 这样自闭症者可能有能力 建立并学习一首交响乐 而对普通人来说不可想象。
reactive:adj.反应的;电抗的;反动的; unthinkable:adj.不能想象的;过分的;
But you can also understand that if you have a disease within one of these columns, the note is going to be off. 你也可以理解 如果你有一种疾病 在这些皮层列中, 音符关闭了。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
The perception, the symphony that you create is going to be corrupted , and you will have symptoms of disease. 知觉,也就是你创造的交响乐 也随之跑调, 你会有疾病的症状。
corrupted:v.使腐化;使堕落;破坏;损坏;(corrupt的过去分词和过去式) symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数)
So, the Holy Grail for neuroscience is really to understand the design of the neocoritical column -- and it's not just for neuroscience; it's perhaps to understand perception, to understand reality, and perhaps to even also understand physical reality. 所以,神经科学的圣杯 就是理解皮层的设计 -- 不只对神经科学; 可能对理解知觉,理解现实有帮助, 还可能对理解物理现实又帮助。
Holy Grail:na.圣杯; neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等); physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
So, what we did was, for the past 15 years, was to dissect out the neocortex, systematically . 所以过去15年里, 我们所作的就是系统的解刨大脑皮层。
dissect:vt.切细;仔细分析;vi.进行解剖;进行详细分析; systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地;
It's a bit like going and cataloging a piece of the rainforest . 就像是去分类一片雨林。
cataloging:n.图书编目;目录; rainforest:n.(热带)雨林;
How many trees does it have? 有多少树?
What shapes are the trees? 树的形状?
How many of each type of tree do you have? Where are they positioned? 每种树有多少棵?在哪里?
But it's a bit more than cataloging because you actually have to describe and discover all the rules of communication, the rules of connectivity , because the neurons don't just like to connect with any neuron . 不过可能比分类还要复杂,因为需要你 描述并发现所有的通讯规律, 连接的规律, 因为神经元不是随便和别的神经元连接的。
connectivity:n.[数]连通性; neuron:n.[解剖]神经元,神经单位;
They choose very carefully who they connect with. 神经元挑选连接对象非常谨慎。
It's also more than cataloging because you actually have to build three-dimensional digital models of them. 比分类还复杂的是 因为需要你建立三维 数字模型。
three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
And we did that for tens of thousands of neurons, built digital models of all the different types of neurons we came across. 我们为数万个神经元 建立了数字模型,我所见到的 不同种类的神经元。
And once you have that, you can actually begin to build the neocortical column. 一旦你有了这些,你就可以 建立皮层列。
And here we're coiling them up. 这里,我们把它们缠绕在一起。
coiling:n.卷绕,成卷;螺旋;
But as you do this, what you see is that the branches intersect actually in millions of locations . 这样做的时候,你所见的 就是分叉的相交 实践上再数百万的点上。
intersect:v.相交,交叉;横断,横切;贯穿; locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
and at each of these intersections they can form a synapse . 每个交叉 都形成一个突触
intersections:n.交集,交叉点(intersection的复数形式);[交]十字路口; synapse:n.突触;
And a synapse is a chemical location where they communicate with each other. 每个突触就是一个化学位置 这里可以进行相互通讯。
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
And these synapses together form the network or the circuit of the brain. 这些突触一起 构成了网络 或者说是大脑的电路
synapses:n.(神经元的)突触(synapse的复数;synapsis的复数) circuit:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;
Now, the circuit, you could also think of as the fabric of the brain. 电路,也可以想象为 大脑的编制结构。
fabric:n.织物;布料;(社会,机构等的)结构;
And when you think of the fabric of the brain, the structure, how is it built? What is the pattern of the carpet? 当你想到大脑的编制结构时, 结构,如何构建?这个编织物的图案是什么?
You realize that this poses a fundamental challenge to any theory of the brain, and especially to a theory that says that there is some reality that emerges out of this carpet, out of this particular carpet with a particular pattern. 你意识到这个构成 是对任何大脑理论的挑战, 特别对一种理论,说 现实浮现 出这个编织物, 以一种特有的图案。
poses:姿势; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; emerges:vi.浮现;摆脱;暴露;
The reason is because the most important design secret of the brain is diversity . 原因是大脑重要的设计秘密是 多样性。
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
Every neuron is different. 每个神经元都不同。
It's the same in the forest. Every pine tree is different. 如同在森林中。每棵松树都不同。
pine:n.松木;松树;vi.难过,悲伤
You may have many different types of trees, but every pine tree is different. And in the brain it's the same. 可以有许多同类的书, 但是每棵松树都不一样。大脑也一样。
So there is no neuron in my brain that is the same as another, and there is no neuron in my brain that is the same as in yours. 我大脑中的每个神经元都不相同, 我大脑中的神经元也不会和你的一样。
And your neurons are not going to be oriented and positioned in exactly the same way. 你的大脑中的神经元 以一样与众不同。
oriented:adj.导向的; v.调整;
And you may have more or less neurons. 你可能有或多或少的神经元。
more or less:或多或少;
So it's very unlikely that you got the same fabric, the same circuitry . 所以不可能 有同样的编制结构,同样的电路。
unlikely:adj.不大可能发生的;非心目中的;非想象的;难以相信的; circuitry:n.电路;电路系统;电路学;一环路;
So, how could we possibly create a reality that we can even understand each other? 这里,我们如何建立现实 而又彼此可以理解的呢?
Well, we don't have to speculate. 我们没有必要推测。
We can look at all 10 million synapses now. 现在我们可以看看这一千万突触。
We can look at the fabric. And we can change neurons. 我们可以看看编制结构。我们可以变更神经元。
We can use different neurons with different variations . 我可以用不同的神经元。
variations:n.变奏曲,变更;[生物]变种(variation的复数形式);
We can position them in different places, orient them in different places. 我们可以把怕们摆放到不同的位置上, 朝向不同的方位。
We can use less or more of them. 我们可以用或多或少的神经元。
And when we do that what we discovered is that the circuitry does change. 我们这么做了之后, 我们发现,电路却是变化了。
But the pattern of how the circuitry is designed does not. 但是电路设计的模式没有变化。
So, the fabric of the brain, even though your brain may be smaller, bigger, it may have different types of neurons, different morphologies of neurons, we actually do share the same fabric. 所以,大脑的编制结构, 不管你的大脑或大或小, 神经元的种类不同, 神经元的形态不同, 我们实际上共享了 同样的编制结构。
morphologies:[生物][晶体]形态学;形态论;[语]词法(morphology的名词复数);
And we think this is species-specific, which means that that could explain why we can't communicate across species . 我们认为这是物种特异性的, 这意味着可以解释 为什么我们不能和别的物种交流。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
So, let's switch it on. But to do it, what you have to do is you have to make this come alive. 好,打开它。你必须作的是 使它活起来。
We make it come alive with equations , a lot of mathematics . 我们让它们活过来 用数学公式,很多的数学运算。
equations:n.方程式;等式;均等;均势(equation的复数形式); mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
And, in fact, the equations that make neurons into electrical generators were discovered by two Cambridge Nobel Laureates . 实际上,这些让神经元变成发电机的数学公式 是被两个剑桥的诺贝尔奖得主发现的。
electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的; generators:n.[电]发电机;[计]生成器(generator的复数); Cambridge:n.剑桥(英国城市);坎布里奇(美国马萨诸塞州城市); Laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
So, we have the mathematics to make the neurons come alive. 我们又让神经元活过来的数学。
We also have the mathematics to describe how neurons collect information, and how they create a little lightning bolt to communicate with each other. 我们也有 神经元采集信息的数学描述, 以及它们如何制造闪电 来和彼此通讯的。
lightning:n.闪电;adj.闪电般的;飞快的;突然的 bolt:n.螺栓; v.狼吞虎咽; v.突然;
And when they get to the synapse, what they do is they effectively, literally , shock the synapse. 当到达突触后, 它们有效的, 正确的,震动突触。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
It's like electrical shock that releases the chemicals from these synapses. 像是电击 从这些突触中释放化学物质。
releases:n.释放; vt.释放; chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数)
And we've got the mathematics to describe this process. 我们有数学工具描述这一过程。
So we can describe the communication between the neurons. 我们可以描述神经元之间的彼此通讯。
There literally are only a handful of equations that you need to simulate the activity of the neocortex. 真正的少数 数学公式用来仿真 大脑皮层的活动。
simulate:vt.模仿;假装;冒充;adj.模仿的;假装的;
But what you do need is a very big computer. 不过你得要一个非常大的计算机。
And in fact you need one laptop to do all the calculations just for one neuron. 实际上一台笔记本电脑 只够计算一个神经元用的。
laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;
So you need 10,000 laptops . 所以得要一万台笔记本电脑。
laptops:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;(laptop的复数)
So where do you go? You go to IBM, and you get a supercomputer , because they know how to take 10,000 laptops and put it into the size of a refrigerator. 所以需要IBM帮助, 那里有超级计算机, 可以把一万台笔记本电脑压缩到一个冰箱大笑。
supercomputer:n.[计]巨型计算机,超级计算机;
So now we have this Blue Gene supercomputer. 所以我们有蓝色基因超级计算机。
We can load up all the neurons, each one on to its processor, and fire it up, and see what happens. 我们可以加载所有的神经元, 每个在一个处理器上, 然后运行,看看发生了什么。
Take the magic carpet for a ride. 骑上魔毯。
magic carpet:n.(可载人飞行的)魔毯;
Here we activate it. And this gives the first glimpse of what is happening in your brain when there is a stimulation . 我们激活它。看一看 当有刺激的时候 我们的大脑在做什么。
activate:vt.刺激;使活动;使活泼;使产生放射性;vi.激活;有活力; glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹; stimulation:n.刺激;激励,鼓舞;
It's the first view. 这是第一次看到。
Now, when you look at that the first time, you think, "My god. How is reality coming out of that?" 当你第一次看到的时候,你会想, “老天。现实就从这里面产生的?“
But, in fact, you can start, even though we haven't trained this neocortical column to create a specific reality. 实际上,你可以开始 即使我们没有训练这个皮层列 来创建一个特定现实。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
But we can ask, "Where is the rose?" 不过我们可以问,“玫瑰在哪里?”
We can ask, "Where is it inside, if we stimulate it with a picture?" 我们可以问, 在那里, 如果我们用一幅图来刺激它?“
Where is it inside the neocortex? 在大脑皮层哪里?
Ultimately it's got to be there if we stimulated it with it. 如果我们刺激它,最终它会在那里。
Ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; stimulated:adj.受激的;v.刺激(stimulate的过去式和过去分词);
So, the way that we can look at that is to ignore the neurons, ignore the synapses, and look just at the raw electrical activity. 我们看待的方法 就是忽略神经元,忽略突触, 只看原始的电活动。
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
Because that is what it's creating. 因为这就是它创建的。
It's creating electrical patterns. 创建电模式。
So when we did this, we indeed, for the first time, saw these ghost-like structures : electrical objects appearing within the neocortical column. 当我们这么做时, 我们实际上第一次看到, 看到这些幽灵一样的结构: 电物体出现 在皮层列中。
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
And it's these electrical objects that are holding all the information about whatever stimulated it. 这些电物体 控制了所有刺激它的 信息。
And then when we zoomed into this, it's like a veritable universe. 当我们放大的时候, 确实像个宇宙。
veritable:adj.真正的,名副其实的;
So the next step is just to take these brain coordinates and to project them into perceptual space. 下面一步是 提出这些大脑中的坐标 投射的知觉空间中。
coordinates:n.[数]坐标;相配之衣物;v.使协调;使调和(coordinate的第三人称单数形式);
And if you do that, you will be able to step inside the reality that is created by this machine, by this piece of the brain. 如果你这样做, 你就可以走进 所创造的现实中 由这个机器创造的, 通过这一块大脑。
So, in summary , 总的来说,
summary:adj.简易的;扼要的;n.概要,摘要,总结;
I think that the universe may have -- it's possible -- evolved a brain to see itself, which may be a first step in becoming aware of itself. 我认为宇宙可以 可能 演化出能看到自己的大脑, 这是意识到自身的第一步。
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
There is a lot more to do to test these theories, and to test any other theories. 还有很多需要做的来测试这个理论, 以及其他理论。
But I hope that you are at least partly convinced that it is not impossible to build a brain. 不过我希望你可以至少部分的相信 建造大脑不是不可能的。
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
We can do it within 10 years, and if we do succeed, we will send to TED, in 10 years, a hologram to talk to you. Thank you. 我们可以在10年内完成, 如果我们成功了, 10年内我们会发到TED, 一个全息图。谢谢。
hologram:n.[激光]全息图;全息摄影,全息照相;
(Applause) (掌声)