返回首页

HeidiLarson_2020P-_疫苗的谣言是如何散布的——又该如何建立起人们对疫苗的信任_-

I study rumors . 我研究谣言。
Not tabloid gossip or the kind of rumors that are making stock markets crash -- or soar -- but the kind of rumors that affect your health ... 我说的不是流言蜚语, 也不是那种让股市 大起大落的谣言—— 而是与您的健康、
and the world's health. 世界健康有关的谣言。
rumors:n.谣传,流言(rumor的复数);v.谣传(rumor的第三人称单数); tabloid:n.小报;药片;文摘;小型画报;adj.小报式的;缩略的;轰动性的;扼要的; gossip:n.流言蜚语;闲聊;喜欢传播流言蜚语的人;v.传播流言蜚语;说三道四; stock:n.股票; v.库存; adj.老一套的; soar:v.翱翔;高飞;猛增;高耸;n.翱翔;上升高度;高飞范围;
Like eating a lot of garlic or drinking a lot of water is going to help protect us from coronavirus -- if only. 例如多吃大蒜, 或是多喝水 就可以帮助我们 预防新型冠状病毒—— 事情最好有那么简单。
Rumors have a bad reputation. 谣言往往恶名昭彰,
They're seen as not fact, wrong, or "just a rumor." 因为它们不完全是事实, 也不完全错误, 又或者“只是无稽之谈罢了”。
But I've studied rumors for years, and one thing I've learned is that they all have a story, and often, an important story. 我研究谣言很多年了, 但我发现每个谣言背后 都有一个故事, 且通常都是重要的故事。
garlic:n.大蒜;蒜头; coronavirus:n.冠状病毒;日冕形病毒;
One of the most moving or alarming rumor episodes that I investigated was in northern Nigeria. 在我的研究生涯中,其中一个 最令人感动、震惊的谣言 发生在尼日利亚的北部。
I was working with UNICEF's Global Immunization programme. 我当时正在参与联合国儿童基金会 所推动的全球免疫工作,
And it wasn't the rumors themselves that I found so alarming; it was the global impact of those rumors. 从而发现谣言本身并不可怕, 可怕的是谣言所引起的各界反应。
episodes:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集;(episode的复数) investigated:v.侦查;调查;研究;(investigate的过去分词和过去式) Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; Immunization:n.免疫; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
The rumors were suspecting that the polio vaccine was actually a contraceptive . 有谣传指出, 小儿麻痹症的疫苗 实际上是避孕药,
It was controlling populations -- or maybe it caused AIDS. 目的是控制人口—— 或者会传播艾滋病。
No, no, maybe it's the CIA spying on them or counting them. 不,不,也有可能是美国情报局 用来监视或者控制人口的手段。
I mean, why else would they have people knocking on their door again and again with the same polio vaccine? 不然,他们何必挨家挨户 通知注射小儿麻痹症的疫苗?
suspecting:v.疑有,觉得;不信任;怀疑;(suspect的现在分词) polio:n.小儿麻痹症(等于poliomyelitis);脊髓灰质炎; vaccine:n.疫苗;牛痘苗;adj.疫苗的;牛痘的; contraceptive:n.避孕用具;[药]避孕剂;adj.避孕的; again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
When children were dying of measles , no one was coming with measles vaccines . 当这些孩子死于麻疹时, 没有人提及麻疹疫苗。
This wasn't about getting the facts right. 重点不在于澄清事实,
This was about trust. 而是事关信任。
It was about broken trust. 缺乏信任才是主因,
Why so much distrust ? 为什么人们不相信疫苗?[01:57]
measles:n.[内科]麻疹;风疹; vaccines:n.[药][计]疫苗; distrust:vt.不信任;n.不信任;怀疑;
It wasn't the mothers who were particularly distrusting , actually. 不只是母亲对疫苗有疑惑,
It was the local leaders, the religious leaders, the local political leaders. 连当地的当权者、 宗教领袖们, 和地方上的政治人物皆是如此。
It was the governor of the state of Kano who decided to boycott the entire polio eradication effort in that state ... 卡诺州(尼日利亚 36 个州之一)的州长 甚至在全州范围内 发起了长达十一个月
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; distrusting:v.不信任;怀疑;(distrust的现在分词) religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; boycott:v.联合抵制;拒绝参加;n.联合抵制; eradication:n.消灭,扑灭;根除;
for 11 months. 对小儿麻痹根除工作的抵制。
Why such distrust? 为何人们对疫苗如此不信任?
Well, it was 2003. 事实上,那是在 2003 年,
It was two years after 9/11. 即 911 事件发生的两年后,
And they were convinced that the West, and particularly the United States, was at war with Muslims. 他们深信西方国家, 尤其是美国, 与穆斯林国家的关系 已变得极度紧张。
And they knew that the West, and particularly the United States, was a huge supporter -- and funder -- of the global polio eradication initiative . 他们也清楚西方国家, 尤其是美国, 不仅大力推动, 还提供资金, 就为了根除小儿麻痹。
They had their reasoning. 他们言之凿凿,
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式) United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) supporter:n.支持者;拥护者; funder:投资者; initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
That lack of trust, that "just a rumor or two" 因为缺乏信任, 仅因“只是一两个无稽之谈罢了”,
to reset the clock, to regain the progress lost during those 11 months and beyond. 才让整个过程步入正轨, 以弥补过去十一个月的损失, 并让后续计划得以顺利进行。
The Nigerian strain of the polio virus traveled to over 20 countries, as far as Indonesia . 尼日利亚的小儿麻痹病毒 也扩散到了 20 多个国家, 最远甚至传播到了印度尼西亚。
The cost of a rumor. 这就是谣言的代价。
The Nigeria episode was one of many episodes that I investigated when I was with UNICEF and earned the title of the "director of UNICEF's fire department ." 我在联合国儿童基金会服务期间, 发生在尼日利亚的故事 只是冰山一角, 我还因此被封为“救火队队长”。
reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版; regain:vt.再次得到;重新获得,恢复;返回;n.恢复;收复;收回 strain:n.压力;品系;应力;张力;v.扭伤;拉紧;滤;损伤; as far as:至于…; Indonesia:n.印尼,印度尼西亚(东南亚岛国); fire department:n.消防部门:消防队员:消防队:
(Laughs) (笑声)
We -- at that point I realized I never really had enough time. 我们当下才意识到 时间根本不够,
I was too busy putting out the fires and not enough time to understand what was driving not just the individual episodes, but why was there an epidemic of these happening around the world. 我太专注于如何“救火”, 却没有足够时间弄清楚 究竟是什么原因促成了 这一个接着一个的事件, 以及为什么会发生 疾病扩散全球的情况。
I left UNICEF and went back to research -- applied research -- and I set up in 2010 what I called the Vaccine Confidence Project at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. 我离开了联合国儿童基金会, 重新投入研究工作—— 应用研究—— 并于 2010 年在伦敦大学 卫生与热带医学院, 成立了疫苗信心计划。
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的; applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) Confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; Hygiene:n.卫生;卫生学;保健法; Tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的;
I convened anthropologists , epidemiologists , psychologists , digital media specialists and mathematical modelers . 我召集了人类学家、流行病学家、 心理学家、 数字媒体学家 以及数学建模学家。
We set ourselves the task to investigate historic episodes of rumors and their impacts , from trying to figure out what were the early signals, what were the amplifying factors and the impacts , how did they get traction , 我们的研究目标是为了 厘清产生谣言的时间脉络 及其带来的影响力, 企图找出谣言开始出现的迹象、 导致谣言散播的因素 及其影响, 谣言是如何让人们深信不疑的,
convened:v.召集;集合;召唤;(convene的过去式和过去分词) anthropologists:[人类]人类学家; epidemiologists:n.流行病学家(epidemiologist的复数); psychologists:n.[心理]心理学家(psychologist的复数形式); digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; mathematical:adj.数学的,数学上的;精确的; modelers:n.塑造者;制造模型者(model的名词形式); historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; amplifying:adj.放大的; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; traction:n.牵引;[机][车辆]牵引力;
so we could start to understand what we should be looking for, how we could help governments and immunization programs be more alert and responsive to early signals of problems. 这样我们才能对症下药, 帮助政府和防疫计划 及时在谣言散播初期 快速采取应对措施。
It was an early warning system. 当然,这只是一个预警体系。
In 2015, we developed a vaccine confidence index . 我们在 2015 年启动了一项疫苗置信指数 (vaccine confidence index)调查,
It's a survey trying to investigate to what extent do people agree or disagree that vaccines are important, they're safe, they're effective -- they work -- and somehow they're compatible with my religious beliefs. 旨在研究人们在多大程度上 认为或者不认为 疫苗是重要、安全 且有效的—— 或是注射疫苗与自身的宗教信仰 存在多大程度的冲突。
alert:n.警报; adj.警觉的; v.向…报警; responsive:adj.响应的;应答的;回答的; early warning:adj.预先警报的,预警的;远程警戒的; index:n.指标;指数;索引;指针;v.做索引;指出;编入索引中; survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; extent:n.程度;范围;长度; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; compatible:adj.兼容的;能共处的;可并立的;
We've run this with over hundreds of thousands of people around the world, trying to get our finger on the pulse of confidence and trust, but also, more importantly, looking at when that trust goes up or down, because we want to see when it starts to decline , that's the time to jump in, to get there before there's a crisis like the Nigerian one. 我们与全球数十万人共同合作, 尝试去理解人们 对疫苗的信心与信任。 更重要的是,观察人们 对疫苗的信任度是否飘移不定, 因为当人们对 疫苗的信任开始下降, 这就是我们介入的时刻, 以免尼日利亚的悲剧重演。
We also set up 24-7 media and social media monitoring around the world -- multilanguage -- listening for what's going on in vaccine conversations, trying to pick up early concerns or changes in sentiment that we should be paying attention to. 我们还在全球成立了 全年无休且跨越各个语种的 媒体与社交媒体监督小组, 收集所有有关疫苗的信息, 试图尽早捕捉到人们对疫苗的疑虑 及情绪上的变化。
pulse:n.脉冲;脉搏;脉率;强劲的音乐节拍;v.搏动;跳动;震动;洋溢着; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式); sentiment:n.感情,情绪;情操;观点;多愁善感;
We've created an ecosystem of different types of information to try to understand: what are the public thinking and how can we engage ? 我们也为此创建了 不同类型的信息体系, 借此了解: 社会大众对此事的看法, 以及我们该如何去应对大众的反应?
We look for early signals. 我们寻找初期迹象。
When we find one, we have a global network of collaborators in a number of countries who have more local intelligence in that setting to try to understand -- is this signal misinformation , or is something brewing that we should know about? 一旦有新发现, 我们在全球各地的合作伙伴—— 他们更为熟悉当地的环境—— 可以以此判断 该迹象是否有误, 或者,是否是我们应该 尽早知晓的某种前兆?
ecosystem:n.生态系统; engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; collaborators:n.[劳经]合作者;投敌者(collaborator的复数); intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; misinformation:n.误报;错误的消息; brewing:n.酿造(啤酒); v.酿制(啤酒); (brew的现在分词)
In London, we have a bigger picture. 在伦敦,我们的信息范围更广。
We watch the swarms of rumors, not just traveling locally but jumping countries. 谣言不仅在当地广为流传, 更是散布到了其他国家。
We've seen them jump from Japan over to Colombia, through Europe and around. 我们曾见过谣言 从日本散布至哥伦比亚, 遍及欧洲及其他地区。
They move. 谣言的传播是不分地域的。
We live in a hyperconnected environment. 我们生活在一个紧密联系的大环境里。
One of the things that we found fascinating , and we've learned a lot in the last 10 years -- this is our 10th anniversary, this didn't start yesterday, this rumor problem -- and one of the things we've learned is in our global monitoring, that Europe is the most skeptical region in the world. 我们发现了一件很有趣的事情, 并在过去十年里 取得了丰富的研究成果—— 今天是我们的十周年庆—— 该谣言课题是 一项经年累月的研究。 我们发现, 在全球监测网络中, 欧洲是全世界 最不信任疫苗的地区,[06:47]
swarms:n.(昆虫等)群;[蜂]蜂群(swarm的复数);v.蜂拥;云集(swarm的第三人称单数); locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上; hyperconnected:超高速连结;超高速连结化;超高速结; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词) skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
France won the prize, actually. 其中法国位居第一,
(Laughter) (笑声)
By far. 截至目前为止。
And actually some of those rumors have traveled to other parts of the world. 有些谣言确实已经散布至 世界的各个角落,
But we were trying to understand Europe. 但我们的研究重点集中在欧洲。
Hmm. Why Europe? 为什么是欧洲呢?
I thought the US was really -- had some of the most skepticism , but boy, I was wrong. 我原先以为美国会是研究重点—— 大部分的美国人 都对疫苗持有怀疑态度, 但是我大错特错了。
And a political scientist , a colleague we work with, 一位和我共事的政治学家,
Jon Kennedy, and he looked at it and correlated it with political opinion polling . 乔恩·肯尼迪(Jon Kennedy), 并参考政治意见的调查结果, 进行比对研究。
And what did he find? 那他究竟发现了什么?
skepticism:n.怀疑论;怀疑的态度; political scientist:n.政治学家; colleague:n.同事,同僚; correlated:v.相互关联影响;相互依赖;(correlate的过去式和过去分词) polling:n.投票;民意测验;v.获得(票数);对…进行民意调查;(poll的现在分词)
He found that people who are most likely to vote for a populist party also were the ones most likely to strongly disagree that vaccines were important, safe or effective. 大部分的民粹主义支持者, 也最有可能强烈反对 注射重要、安全、有效的疫苗。
What did we learn? 这告诉我们什么?
Vaccines cannot escape the political and social turbulence that surrounds it. 疫苗无可避免会受到周围的 政治和社会干扰。
Scientists were unprepared for this tsunami of doubt and questions and distrust. 科学家对这些铺天盖地的猜忌、 疑惑和不信任而感到无所适从。
populist:n.平民主义者; adj.民粹主义的(等于populistic); turbulence:n.骚乱,动荡;[流]湍流;狂暴; unprepared:adj.无准备的;即席的;尚未准备好的; tsunami:n.海啸;
What -- why are vaccines so ripe for resistance ? 为什么人们抵抗疫苗的态度 如此强烈?
Well, we identified a number of things, but one: they're highly mediated by government that requires, regulates and sometimes recommends vaccines -- or often recommends and sometimes requires. 对此,我们总结出了几个结论, 但其中有一点是: 政府对疫苗的介入尤为重要, 这需要政府强制规定 或是建议疫苗接种—— 经常向人们推荐 或在有需要时给予人们建议。
ripe:adj.成熟的;口味浓郁的;醇美可口的;强烈的; resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力; identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; mediated:vt.仲裁,调停;调解(mediate的过去式及过去分词形式); regulates:控制;管理; recommends:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;(recommend的第三人称单数)
Big business makes vaccines, and neither institution , government or big business, are high in the trust ranks these days. 只有大型企业才有能力生产疫苗, 而如今无论是机构、政府还是大企业, 都没有赢得公众的高度信任。
And then there's scientists who discover and develop vaccines, and they're pretty elite and not accessible to the general public , at least the language they speak. 其次,疫苗是由科学家研发的, 且他们各个都是精英, 他们的工作离普通百姓的生活太远, 往往无法被大众所理解, 尤其是那些专业术语。
Big business:n.(统称)大企业;大生意; institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗; elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物; accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; general public:n.普通百姓;大众;公众;
Third, we're in a hyperconnected environment with social media these days, and people can share their unfettered views, concerns, anxieties and worries 其三,我们生活在一个 与社交媒体互动紧密的环境, 人们能不受约束的 与他人分享观点、 烦恼、忧思与紧张,
and find a lot of people that think the way they do, and think maybe their worries are worth paying attention to. 甚至找到趣味相投的人们, 认为他们担忧的事情 是值得受到关注的。
And finally , vaccines touch every single life on the planet. 直到疫苗的问世, 它触及每一条地球生命。
unfettered:adj.无拘无束的; v.使自由(unfetter的过去分词); finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
What other health intervention , besides water, touches every single life? 除了水源, 还有什么健康议题 还能如此深入每个人的生活?
So if you're looking for something to disrupt , it's a perfect stage. 所以,如果你想从中搞破坏, 疫苗确实是个完美的攻击目标。
Perhaps that's one of the reasons that we need to pay more attention and rebuild our trust in issues . 正因如此,我们得在这个议题上 更加用心,重建人们对疫苗的信任。
intervention:n.介入;调停;妨碍; besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外; disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
People are asking all kinds of questions. 层出不穷的问题
They're asking, why are vaccines -- and these are the kinds of things we're hearing in our social media -- why can't my child have a personalized vaccination schedule ? 不断被提出。 为什么要注射疫苗—— 这类问题常出现在 社交媒体的讨论区—— 为什么不能为我的孩子 制定疫苗接种计划?
What's the wisdom of so many vaccines? 疫苗的研发机制又是什么?
What about all those ingredients and preservatives ? 疫苗中的成分和防腐剂安全吗?
These are not crazy people, they're not uneducated; they're actually worried mothers. 反对注射疫苗的人们不是疯子, 也不是低教育水平者, 她们只是忧心孩子健康的母亲。
personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式) vaccination:n.接种疫苗;种痘; schedule:工作计划,日程安排 wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数) preservatives:n.防腐的(preservative的复数);[助剂]防腐剂;保存剂;
But some of them have come to me and said, "We feel ignored , we feel judged if we ask a question, and we even feel demonized that maybe we're part of some antivaccine group." 有些母亲来找我面谈, 告诉我:“我们感到被忽视了, 但凡提出什么问题都会被质疑, 我们的名誉也遭到了损害, 甚至被当作是反疫苗群体的一员。”
So we have some listening to do. 所以,我们要倾听她们的心声。
And maybe that's why last year, there was research that found that in six months in 2019, online -- this was with hundreds -- 100 million different users on social media -- 也许这就是为什么去年 有个研究指出, 在 2019 年的 网络平台上, 虽然多达上亿的用户
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式) demonized:vt.妖魔化;使…成为魔鬼;
although the numbers of individuals who expressed in their online groups, they were positive , as groups, the ones who were the most negative were recruiting the conversations in the middle that were undecided about whether they wanted to get vaccines. 在社交媒体群组中发表的 对疫苗的看法 都是正面的, 而那些最消极的人 却在持续招募一些 还没有决定是否要 接种疫苗的人。
The highly negative -- what we might call the antivaccine groups -- were recruiting the undecided at a rate 500 percent faster than the provaccine groups. 那些极度反对的人群—— 我们通常称之为反疫苗群体—— 也在积极拉拢 那些举棋不定的人们, 他们的拉拢进度 比起疫苗支持群体
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); expressed:v.表示;表达;显而易见;不言自明;(express的过去分词和过去式) positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; recruiting:v.吸收(新成员);征募(新兵);动员;(recruit的现在分词) undecided:adj.未定的;未决定的;不稳定的;
500 percent faster. 快了 500%。
They were more nimble , they were responsive and they were listening. 反疫苗群体的反应 更灵活、更积极, 也更愿意倾听大众的担忧。
Most people believe that vaccines are good and they believe in their importance. 很多人相信疫苗对人体有益, 也同意它的重要性。
But that belief is under attack. 但当这些信念受到抨击时,
We need to build in more opportunities for conversation. 我们需要建立起更多的对话机会。
nimble:adj.敏捷的;聪明的;敏感的;
And there are ways to do it. 其实方法很多,
It's not easy for some health professionals to have conversations where their authority is questioned. 但对于医学专家而言, 与质疑他们专业的人们 建立起对话并没那么容易。
It's uncomfortable. 这很令人担忧。
And they're just too busy to listen to all these questions. 再则,医学专家也没时间 去一一聆听所有的问题。
But we need to do something about that, because we're losing a lot of concerned parents that just want a conversation. 但我们需对此做出对策, 因为我们失去了很多父母的信任, 只因为缺少了对话的机会。
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); authority:n.权威;权力;当局; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
We should get volunteers trained to sit in waiting rooms, to be on hotlines , to have online chat forums , to have chat boxes. 我们应该招募受过训练的志愿者, 并将他们安排在等候室、 热线电话、 在线聊天论坛、 或聊天窗口等场所。
In younger kids, with younger kids in school, teach them about immune systems and teach them that actually, you know that vaccine your little brother got? 对于在校的孩子们来说, 我们要教授他们免疫系统的知识, 是要让他们了解, 为什么要接种疫苗。
Well, it just inspired your natural immune system . 比如,疫苗可以刺激 你的天然免疫系统。
volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) hotlines:n.热线电话;(政府首脑间)直接联系(的途径);(hotlines是hotline的复数); forums:n.论坛; (forum的复数) immune:adj.免疫的;免于…的,免除的;n.免疫者;免除者; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) immune system:n.免疫系统;
It's a great thing and this is why. 疫苗是个伟大的发明, 并进一步解释其重要性。
We need to build that confidence; we need to listen. 我们要建立起 人们对疫苗的信心, 所以我们需要聆听他们的想法。
Despite all this questioning -- and there's a lot of it -- 尽管备受质疑, 且恶评源源不绝,
I hear probably more than a lot of people -- 我听到过许多人 无法想象的恶评——
I am an optimist . 但我是个乐观主义者。
And my optimism is with a younger generation. 我的乐观态度源自年轻人。
The younger generation who actually now are becoming very aware of the risks of social media, the false news, the false identities , and they're starting to embrace science. 年轻人逐渐发现 社交媒体的风险、 假新闻、 身份冒用, 所以他们开始相信科学。[12:58]
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; optimist:n.乐观主义者;乐天派; optimism:n.乐观;乐观主义; identities:n.身份;本身;本体;特征;同一性;相同;(identity的复数) embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
And some of them are a group of children whose mothers refused to vaccinate them. 有些孩子因母亲不同意 而没有接受疫苗接种。
Last spring of 2019, 18-year-old Ethan Lindenberger went on Reddit and put out a post. 2019 年的春天, 18 岁的伊森·林登伯格 在 Reddit (注:类似于国内的贴吧) 发表了一篇文章。
'"My mother doesn't believe in vaccines. “我的母亲并不相信疫苗。
She's really worried they cause autism . 她担心疫苗会引发自闭症,
vaccinate:vi.接种疫苗;vt.给…注射疫苗;n.被接种牛痘者; autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义;
In fact, she strongly believes that. 并对此深信不疑。
I'm a senior in high school. 是一个高三的学生。
I can drive a car, I can vote and I could go get my own vaccine. 我能驾车,我也能投票, 我也可以自行接受疫苗接种。
Can someone tell me where to get it?" 有人能告诉我, 我应该去哪里接种疫苗吗?”
That post went viral . 这篇文章在网络上迅速传播开来,
It started to get a whole younger movement going. 也说明了年轻一代 开始迈向改变的趋势。[13:55]
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的;
I saw Ethan speak at a conference , the Global Vaccine Summit at the EU last fall. 我在去年秋天出席了 欧盟举办的全球疫苗高峰会, 碰巧赶上了伊桑的演讲。
He spoke eloquently , and I was impressed , in front of a whole forum. 他侃侃而谈, 让我对他的整个演讲 留下了深刻的印象。
He told his personal story, and then he said to the group, he said, "You know, everybody talks about misinformation, but I want to tell you about a different kind of misinformation, 他与在座的各位分享了 他的亲身经历, 并提醒大家, 他说:“大家都在 谈论不正确的信息, 但我想告诉你们 另类的不正确信息,
conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) Summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点; eloquently:adv.善辩地;富于表现力地; impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式)
and that's misinformation that says that people like my mother, who is a loving mother, is a bad person because she doesn't give me vaccines. 说的正是像我母亲这样的人。 她是一个疼爱孩子的母亲, 也是个不及格的母亲, 因为她不让我接种疫苗。
Well, I want to tell all of you that she didn't give me a vaccine, because she loves me and because she believed that that was the best thing for me. 其实我想告诉大家, 我的母亲是出于爱我, 而不让我接受疫苗接种, 因为她相信这样的决定 才是对我最好的。
I think differently and I will never change her mind, but she's not a bad person." 虽然我们看法不同, 但我绝对不会改变她的看法, 因为她不是个坏人。”
That was the message from a teenager. 这是来自一个少年 传递给大家的信息——
Empathy , kindness and understanding. 同理心、善良及理解。
We have an abundance of scientific information to debunk false rumors. 我们有的是科学知识 可以揭露那些错误的谣言。
That's not our problem. 这对我们而言并不难,
We have a relationship problem, not a misinformation problem. 难的是如何处理情感, 而不是传播不实信息。
Empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; abundance:n.丰度;丰富;大量;富足; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; debunk:vt.揭穿;拆穿…的假面具;暴露;
Misinformation is the symptom , not the cause. 传播不实信息只是表象, 不是主因。
If people trust, they'll put up with a little risk to avert a much bigger one. 如果人们相信疫苗, 他们就会承担小风险 以避免更大的灾难。
The one thing that I want and I hope for is that we as a medical and health community have the moral courage and humility to productively engage, like Ethan, with those who disagree with us. 我最希望看到的是, 我们这些医药和医疗领域的工作者, 能拿出道德上的勇气与谦卑, 积极努力—— 就像伊桑一样—— 与意见不同的人们沟通。
symptom:n.症状;征候;征兆; put up with:v.忍受;容忍; avert:vt.避免,防止;转移; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; humility:n.谦卑,谦逊; productively:adv.有结果地;有成果地;
I hope so. 这就是我所期盼的。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause and cheers) (掌声和欢呼声)