返回首页

HectorGarcia_2015P-_给少年儿童工程师的简易diy项目_

Carlos, the Vietnam vet Marine who volunteered for three tours and got shot up in every one. 卡洛斯, 一个越战海军陆战队员, 自愿参与了三次行动,每次行动中他都受了枪伤。
vet:n.兽医;兽医诊所;v.审查;仔细检查,审查(内容、质量等); Marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; volunteered:v.自愿做;义务做;自愿参军;(volunteer的过去分词和过去式)
In 1971, he was medically retired because he had so much shrapnel in his body that he was setting off metal detectors . 在1971年,他因健康原因退役了, 因为他体内有太多的子弹碎片, 导致可能触发金属探测仪。
medically:adv.医学上地;医药上地; shrapnel:n.弹片;榴霰弹;零钱; detectors:n.探测器;侦测设备(detector的复数);
For the next 42 years, he suffered from nightmares , extreme anxiety in public, isolation, depression . 在接下来的42年当中,他被噩梦缠身, 在公共场所会极度不安, 封闭、抑郁。
nightmares:n.噩梦;梦魇;极其糟糕的情况;(nightmare的复数) extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
He self-medicated with alcohol . 他利用酒精自我麻醉。
alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料;
He was married and divorced three times. 他结过又离过三次婚。
Carlos had post-traumatic stress disorder . 卡洛斯患有创伤后应激障碍(PTSD)。
post-traumatic stress disorder:n.创伤后精神紧张性障碍;
Now, I became a psychologist to help mitigate human suffering, and for the past 10 years, my target has been the suffering caused by PTSD , as experienced by veterans like Carlos. 我是一名帮助人类减轻痛苦的心理学家, 在过去的10年当中,我一直把像卡洛斯这样的退伍军人经历的 PTSD作为我的研究目标。
psychologist:n.心理学家,心理学者; mitigate:vt.使缓和,使减轻;vi.减轻,缓和下来; PTSD:abbr.创伤后精神紧张性精神障碍(post-traumaticstressdisorder); veterans:n.老兵;退伍军人(veteran的复数形式);
Until recently , the science of PTSD just wasn't there. 不久前,关于PTSD的研究都还不够完善。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
And so, we didn't know what to do. 因此,我们一直都不知道要怎样应对。
We put some veterans on heavy drugs. 我们让一部分退伍军人大量服药。
Others we hospitalized and gave generic group therapy , and others still we simply said to them, "Just go home and try to forget about your experiences." 另一部分则让他们住院观察,进行一般性的团体治疗, 还有一些我们就简单的对他们说: “回家吧,尝试去忘记你的经历。”
hospitalized:vt.住院;入院就医;(hospitalize的过去分词); generic:adj.类的;一般的;属的;非商标的; group therapy:n.群体治疗;集体心理治疗;
More recently, we've tried therapy dogs, wilderness retreats — many things which may temporarily relieve stress, but which don't actually eliminate PTSD symptoms over the long term. 最近,我们还尝试训练医疗犬,荒野静修等等—— 很多能够短期减缓压力的方式, 但并不能长期彻底根除PTSD造成的症状。
wilderness:n.荒野;(草木丛生的)荒地;荒芜的地方;杂草丛生处; retreats:撤退;放弃;离开;休养处; temporarily:adv.临时地,临时; relieve:v.减轻;缓解;缓和;接替; eliminate:v.消除;排除; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数)
But things have changed. 但是事情已经有所改善了。
And I am here to tell you that we can now eliminate PTSD, not just manage the symptoms, and in huge numbers of veterans. 我今天来是想告诉你们,我们已经可以彻底根除PTSD了, 不仅仅是缓解症状, 而且对大量的退伍军人都有效。
Because new scientific research has been able to show, objectively , repeatedly , which treatments actually get rid of symptoms and which do not. 因为最新的科学研究已经能够 客观地,重复地表明 哪些治疗能真正消除病症,而哪些不能。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; objectively:adv.客观地; repeatedly:adv.反复地;再三地;屡次地; treatments:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;(treatment的复数)
Now as it turns out, the best treatments for PTSD use many of the very same training principles that the military uses in preparing its trainees for war. 结果表明, 对于PTSD的最佳治疗方式,是使用许多与军队训练战士 备战时相同的原则。
principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数) military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; trainees:n.[经管]实习生;[劳经]受训人员(trainee的复数);训练中的动物;
this is something that we are good at. 这是我们擅长的事情。
We humans have been making war since before we were even fully human. 我们人类一直都在制造战争,甚至当我们还没有完全进化就开始了。
And since then, we have gone from using stone and sinew to developing the most sophisticated and devastating weapon systems imaginable . 自从那时起,我们已经从使用石头和肌腱, 发展到了使用能够想象到的最复杂的,最具毁灭性的武器。
sinew:n.筋;肌腱;体力;精力;vt.加强;使牢固; sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的; devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词) imaginable:adj.可能的;可想像的;
And to enable our warriors to use these weapons, we employ the most cutting-edge training methods. 为了使我们的战士能够使用这些武器, 我们会使用最先进的训练方式训练他们。
enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行; warriors:n.(尤指旧时的)武士,勇士,斗士(warrior的复数) employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用; cutting-edge:n.(刀片的)刃口;尖端;前沿;adj.先进的,尖端的;
We are good at making war. 我们善于制造战争。
And we are good at training our warriors to fight. 我们还善于锻炼我们的战士去作战。
Yet, when we consider the experience of the modern-day combat veteran, we begin to see that we have not been as good at preparing them to come home. 但是,当我们考虑当今老兵的经历, 我们就会意识到,我们并不善于 为他们回家做准备。
modern-day:adj.当代的;今日的; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
Why is that? 为什么会这样呢?
Well, our ancestors lived immersed in conflict , and they fought right where they lived. 我们的祖先生活在冲突当中, 他们就在他们生活的地方进行斗争。
immersed:adj.沉入的; v.浸没; (immerse的过去分词和过去式) conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
So until only very recently in our evolutionary history, there was hardly a need to learn how to come home from war, because we never really did. 所以直到进化史的近代阶段, 人类都几乎没有学习如何从战场回家的需求, 因为我们从来没有真正这样做过。
evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的;
But thankfully , today, most of humanity lives in far more peaceful societies, and when there is conflict, we, especially in the United States, now have the technology to put our warriors through advanced training, drop them in to fight anywhere on the globe and when they're done, jet them back to peacetime suburbia . 但值得庆幸的是,当今, 大多数人类都居住在和平社会当中, 当冲突发生时,我们,特别是美国, 有这些科技,可以让我们的士兵进行先进的训练, 把他们扔在世界的任何角落去打仗, 当战争结束时, 再把他们载回和平地区。
thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) peacetime:n.平时;和平时期;adj.平时的;和平时期的; suburbia:n.郊区;郊区居民;
But just imagine for a moment what this must feel like. 但是让我们想象一下这种感受。
I've spoken with veterans who've told me that one day they're in a brutal firefight in Afghanistan where they saw carnage and death, and just three days later, they found themselves toting an ice chest to their kid's soccer game. 我和那些退伍战士聊过,他们告诉我, 曾经他们身处阿富汗残暴的交火当中, 目睹杀戮和死亡, 而三天后他们就要 带着冰袋去参加孩子的足球比赛。
brutal:adj.残忍的;野蛮的,不讲理的; firefight:n.交火;炮战; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); carnage:n.大屠杀;残杀;大量绝灭; toting:v.携带,搬运(尤指重物);携带…的;(tote的现在分词)
'"Mindfuck" is the most common term. “思想混乱”是他们最常使用的词汇。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's the most common term I've heard to describe that experience. 这是我听到过的最常用于描述那种经历的术语。
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
And that's exactly what that is. 但那就是他们所经历的。
Because while our warriors spend countless hours training for war, we've only recently come to understand that many require training on how to return to civilian life. 因为当我们的战士正花费大量的时间准备战争, 我们却最近才意识到, 他们中的许多也需要被训练如何回归平民生活。
countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; civilian:adj.民用的;百姓的,平民的;n.平民,百姓;
Now, like any training, the best PTSD treatments require repetition . 就像任何训练一样,最佳的PTSD治疗方案也需要被反复进行。
repetition:n.重复;重做;重说;重做的事;重说的话;
In the military, we don't simply hand trainees Mark-19 automatic grenade launchers and say, "Here's the trigger , here's some ammo and good luck." 在军队中, 我们不会简单地递给新兵Mark-19自动榴弹枪, 然后说:“这里是扳机,还有一些弹药,祝你好运。”
automatic:adj.自动的;无意识的;必然的;n.自动步枪;自动换挡汽车; grenade:n.手榴弹;灭火弹;v.扔手榴弹;用催泪弹攻击; launchers:n.发射器;发射台;发射者; trigger:n.触发器; v.触发; ammo:n.弹药;军火;
No. We train them, on the range and in specific contexts , over and over and over until lifting their weapon and engaging their target is so engrained into muscle memory that it can be performed without even thinking, even under the most stressful conditions you can imagine. 不。我们训练他们,在场地中,在不同的环境下, 一遍又一遍的, 直到举起武器瞄准目标的行为, 根深蒂固的刻在肌肉记忆当中; 直到即使在你们能想象的最紧张的时刻, 这一系列行为也能够不经思考的被正确执行。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; contexts:n.环境,[计]上下文(context复数); over and over:反复;再三; engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词) engrained:adj.彻底的;根深蒂固的;v.把…染成木纹色(engrain的过去分词形式); muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出; performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式) stressful:adj.紧张的;有压力的;
Now, the same holds for training-based treatments. 以训练为基础的治疗也是一样的道理。
The first of these treatments is cognitive therapy, and this is a kind of mental recalibration . 治疗的第一步是认知疗法, 这是一种心理的重新校准。
cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; recalibration:n.[仪]再校准;
When veterans come home from war, their way of mentally framing the world is calibrated to an immensely more dangerous environment. 当退伍军人从战争回家时, 他们对世界的认知是被校对过的, 以适应那种极度危险的战争环境。
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上; framing:v.给…做框;作伪证陷害;制订;拟订;n.框架;结构;骨骼;(frame的现在分词) calibrated:v.标定,校准(刻度,以使测量准确);(calibrate的过去式和过去分词) immensely:adv.极大地;无限地;广大地;庞大地;
So when you try to overlay that mind frame onto a peacetime environment, you get problems. 所以当你试图将这种认知嫁接于和平环境之上时, 就会出现问题。
overlay:n.覆盖图;覆盖物;vt.在表面上铺一薄层,镀; frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
You begin drowning in worries about dangers that aren't present. 你就会沉浸在对那些本不存在的危险的忧虑当中。
drowning:v.溺水;淹没;淹死,溺死;浸泡;(drown的现在分词)
You begin not trusting family or friends. 你开始不信任家人和朋友。
Which is not to say there are no dangers in civilian life; there are. 不是说平民生活中就没有危险;危险是存在的。
It's just that the probability of encountering them compared to combat is astronomically lower. 只是说遇到危险的几率, 相比战争中而言, 是极低的。
probability:n.可能性;机率;[数]或然率; encountering:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的现在分词) compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) astronomically:adv.天文学上地;宇航学地;天体地;
So we never advise veterans to turn off caution completely. 所以我们从不建议退伍军人彻底关闭他们的警惕性。
advise:v.建议;通知;劝告;忠告;
We do train them, however, to adjust caution according to where they are. 而是训练他们,去根据所处环境, 调整他们的警惕程度。
adjust:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯; according to:根据,据说;
If you find yourself in a bad neighborhood , you turn it up. 如果你在一个治安很差的社区, 你就要开启警惕性。
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
Out to dinner with family? 和家人一起在外吃饭呢?
You turn it way down. 你就应该把它调节到很低。
We train veterans to be fiercely rational , to systematically gauge the actual statistical probability of encountering, say, an IED here in peacetime America. 我们训练退伍军人,让他们变得绝对理性化, 让他们能够系统化的衡量他们在 和平时期的美国遭遇到比如,简易爆炸装置的可能性。
fiercely:adv.猛烈地;厉害地; rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的; systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地; gauge:n.计量器;标准尺寸;容量规格;vt.测量;估计;给…定规格; statistical:adj.统计的;统计学的;
With enough practice, those recalibrations stick. 通过足够的练习,那些被校正的认知就会留存。
recalibrations:n.[仪]再校准;
The next of these treatments is exposure therapy, and this is a kind of field training, and the fastest of the proven effective treatments out there. 治疗的下一步是暴露疗法, 就好像实地演习, 也是所有被证明有效的疗法中见效最快的。
exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
You remember Carlos? 你们还记得卡洛斯吗?
This was the treatment that he chose. 这就是他选择的治疗方案。
And so we started off by giving him exercises, for him, challenging ones: going to a grocery store, going to a shopping mall , going to a restaurant, sitting with his back to the door. 我们从给他一些练习开始, 对他来说,最具挑战性的是: 去杂货店, 去商场,餐厅, 背对着门坐着。
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货; shopping mall:un.商业区林荫路;
staying in these environments. 要停留在这些环境当中。
Now, at first he was very anxious. 刚开始的时候,他表现得非常不安。
He wanted to sit where he could scan the room, where he could plan escape routes , where he could get his hands on a makeshift weapon. 他希望能够坐在一个可以扫视整个餐厅的位置, 这样他就可以计划逃脱路线, 这样他就可以随手拿取临时武器。
routes:n.路线;途径;路途;渠道;v.按某路线发送;(route的第三人称单数和复数) makeshift:n.权宜之计;凑合;临时措施;将就;adj.临时的;权宜之计的;凑合的;
And he wanted to leave, but he didn't. 他很想离开那儿,但是他没有。
He remembered his training in the Marine Corps , and he pushed through his discomfort . 他想起了在海军陆战队的训练, 他战胜了自己的不安情绪。
Corps:n.兵团;(陆军)特种部队;(从事某工作或活动的)一群人; discomfort:n.不适,不安;不便之处;vt.使…不舒服;使…不安;
And every time he did this, his anxiety ratcheted down a little bit, and then a little bit more and then a little bit more, until in the end, he had effectively relearned how to sit in a public space and just enjoy himself. 每当他这样做时,焦虑感就会逐渐减少, 然后再减少一点点,再减少一点儿, 直到最后, 他重新学会了如何坐在公共场所当中, 仅仅是享受他自己的时光。
ratcheted:n.棘轮;棘齿;vt.安装棘轮于;松脱; relearned:vt.重学;再学习;
He also listened to recordings of his combat experiences, over and over and over. 他也会听他战时经历的录音, 一遍又一遍的。
He listened until those memories no longer generated any anxiety. 他听这些录音,直到不再对其产生焦虑。
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词)
He processed his memories so much that his brain no longer needed to return to those experiences in his sleep. 他不断消化那些记忆, 以至于不需要再在梦里 回到那些记忆当中。
processed:v.加工,处理;审核;列队行进;(process的过去式和过去分词)
And when I spoke with him a year after treatment had finished, he told me, "Doc, this is the first time in 43 years that I haven't had nightmares." 当我在他治疗结束一年之后再与他交流时, 他告诉我: “医生,这是我在43年当中 第一次没有做噩梦。”
Now, this is different than erasing a memory. 然而,这并不是清除记忆的过程。
different than:不同于; erasing:v.擦除;清除;取消(erase的现在分词);
Veterans will always remember their traumatic experiences, but with enough practice, those memories are no longer as raw or as painful as they once were. 退伍军人们会永远记得他们的创痛经历, 但是通过足够量的训练, 那些记忆将不再像以往那样鲜活,那样让人痛苦。
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
They don't feel emotionally like they just happened yesterday, and that is an immensely better place to be. 他们情感上不再觉得那些经历依然历历在目, 这是一个巨大的进步。
emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地;
But it's often difficult. 但这常常也很困难。
And, like any training, it may not work for everybody. 而且,就像是任何训练一样,它不一定适用于所有人。
And there are trust issues . 此外还存在着信任问题。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Sometimes I'm asked, "If you haven't been there, Doc, how can you help me?" 有时,我会被问道: “如果你从没上过战场,医生,你要怎么帮我呢?“
Which is understandable . 我很理解这种想法。
understandable:adj.可以理解的;可以了解的;
But at the point of returning to civilian life, you do not require somebody who's been there. 但是考虑到回归平民生活, 你们并不需要一个经历过战场的人。
at the point of:靠近;正要;
You don't require training for operations on the battlefield; you require training on how to come home. 你们不需要训练战场上的行为; 你们需要被训练如何回到家中。
For the past 10 years of my work, 在我过去十年的工作经历当中,
I have been exposed to detailed accounts of the worst experiences that you can imagine, daily. 我已经接触过了你们能够想象到的 最糟糕的,能具体到琐碎细节的 日常情况。
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
And it hasn't always been easy. 事情并不总是那么顺利。
There have been times where I have just felt my heart break or that I've absorbed too much. 很多时候,我会感到疲惫, 或者太过专注。
absorbed:adj.被…吸引住; v.吸收(液体、气体等); (absorb的过去分词和过去式)
But these training-based treatments work so well, that whatever this work takes out of me, it puts back even more, because I see people get better. 但是这些基于训练的治疗方法效果出奇的好, 无论我花费多少功夫,它都能给我带来更多回报, 因为我看到了人们正在康复。
I see people's lives transform . 我看到了人们的生活正在发生转变。
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
Carlos can now enjoy outings with his grandchildren, which is something he couldn't even do with his own children. 卡洛斯已经能和他的孙子孙女们出去玩了, 曾经他甚至无法和他自己的孩子们一起这样做。
And what's amazing to me is that after 43 years of suffering, 最令我惊讶的,是在43年的折磨之后,
And when I spoke with him, he told me, "I know that I can't get those years back. 当我和他交流的时候,他告诉我: “我知道我无法重获那些错过的岁月。
But at least now, whatever days that I have left on this Earth, 但至少现在,无论在这世上我还剩下多少时间,
I can live them in peace." 我都可以在平静中度过。”
He also said, "I hope that these younger veterans don't wait to get the help they need." 他还说:“我希望那些年轻的退伍军人 不再需要苦苦等候迟来的帮助。”
And that's my hope, too. 那也是我所希望的。
Because ... 因为,
this life is short, and if you are fortunate enough to have survived war or any kind of traumatic experience, you owe it to yourself to live your life well. 人生是短暂的, 如果你们有幸在战争当中 或是各种创伤性经历中幸存下来, 你们亏欠自己一个美好的人生。
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的; owe:v.归功于;欠(债);欠(账);欠(情)
And you shouldn't wait to get the training you need to make that happen. 不该浪费时间去等待那些帮助你们 实现美好人生的训练。
Now, the best way of ending human suffering caused by war is to never go to war. 事实上,能够避免战后创伤的最佳方式, 就是避免战争。
But we are just not there yet as a species . 但是我们这个物种还没有达到那样的境界。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
Until we are, the mental suffering that we create in our sons and in our daughters when we send them off to fight can be alleviated . 但在那之前, 当我们把子女送去战场, 给他们造成的精神折磨 是可以被缓解的。
alleviated:v.减轻(alleviate的过去分词);使…缓和;
But we must ensure that the science, the energy level, the value that we place on sending them off to war is at the very least mirrored in how well we prepare them to come back home to us. 但是我们必须要确保那些科学成果,能源供给, 我们将他们送去战场时的价值观, 至少是要能够体现 我们准备让他们回到家中的。
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
This much, we owe them. 我们欠他们的,就是这么多。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)