返回首页

HarshaBhogle_2009I-_板球的兴起,印度的兴起_

So, what I'm going to is just give you the latest episode of India's, maybe the world's longest running soap opera , which is cricket . 我要给大家介绍 一部印度肥皂剧的最新的一集 这部剧可能是世界上最长的在播肥皂剧了 它就是板球
episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集; soap opera:n.(美)肥皂剧; cricket:n.蟋蟀;板球;
And may it run forever, because it gives people like me a living. 但愿这个剧集能永远持续下去,因为有很多人,比如我,以此为生
It's got everything that you'd want a normal soap opera to want. 板球具备一个肥皂剧所具备的所有因素:
It's got love, joy, happiness, sadness, tears, laughter, lots of deceit , intrigue . 爱,快乐,幸福 悲伤,眼泪,和欢笑, 也有不胜枚举的诡计和阴谋
deceit:n.欺骗;谎言;欺诈手段; intrigue:n.阴谋;诡计;复杂的事;私通;v.用诡计取得;激起...的兴趣;私通;密谋;
And like all good soaps it jumps 20 years when the audience interest changes. 像所有优秀的剧集一样,20年中,随着观众兴趣的改变 板球也发生着巨变
And that's exactly what cricket has done. 这也就是板球所经历的
It's jumped 20 years into 20 over game. 它在20年时间中, 转变成一项20回合的运动(指每方20回合的国际性20比赛,板球运动中限制性回合的一种。译者注)
And that's what I'm going to talk about, how a small change , leads to a very big revolution . 而这就是我今天演讲的主题 一个小的改变 如何引发了一个巨大的革命
small change:n.小面额硬币;(非正式)无关紧要的人(或事); revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
But it wasn't always like that. 其实板球并不是总是像今天这样
Cricket wasn't always this speed-driven generations game. 它并不是从一开始就是一项 忙碌一族的运动
There was a time when you played cricket, you played timeless test matches, when you played on till the game got over. 曾经有段时间,一旦你参与板球运动 你就是参与了无限时的比赛 从比赛开始到比赛结束没有时间限制
timeless:adj.永恒的;不受时间影响的;不合时宜的;
And there was this game in March 1939 that started on the third of March and ended on the 14th of March. 1939年3月,就有一场这样的比赛 开始于3月3号 一直到3月14号才结束
And it only ended because the English cricketers had to go from Durban to Cape Town, which is a two hour train journey , to catch the ship that left on the 17th, because the next ship wasn't around for a long time. 而且促使它结束的原因是 英国的板球运动员必须要坐两天火车 从德班(南非一城市)出发赶到开普敦 去那里搭乘17号起航的轮船 而下一班船要隔很久的时间才起航
cricketers:n.板球队员;玩板球者; Cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
So, the match was ended in between. 所以,比赛还没一决胜负就只能先暂停
And one of the English batsmen said, "You know what? 当时一个英国的击球手说,“你猜怎么么着?
another half an hour and we would have won." 再比那么半个小时我们可就赢了。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
Another half an hour after 12 days. 这半个小时发生在12天之后
There were two Sundays in between. But of course Sundays are church days. 这12天里有两个周日。但是周日是礼拜日
So you don't play on Sundays. And one day it rained. 当然不能用作打板球。然后有一天又下了雨
So, the all sat around making friends with each other. 于是大家都做在一块交交朋友之类的
But there is a reason why India fell in love with cricket. 但从这里可以看出一个印度人爱板球的原因
Because we had about the same pace of life. 因为我们拥有着同样的生活节奏
(Laughter) (笑声)
The Mahabharata was like that as well, wasn't it? 摩诃婆罗多也是差不多这样,对不对?
You fought by day. Then it was sunset , so everyone went back home. 你们战斗了一整天。然后太阳落山了, 于是每个人都回到家
sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止;
And then you worked out your strategy , and you came in for it the next day, and you went back home again. 然后你们再商量对策 第二天去继续战斗,然后傍晚再回家
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
The only difference between the Mahabharata and our cricket was that in cricket everybody was alive to come back and fight the next day. 板球和摩诃婆罗多的唯一不同是 参加板球比赛的队员每个人都活着回到家,然后第二天再继续战斗
Princes patronize the game, not because the love the game, but because it was a means of ingratiating themselves to the British rulers. 印度王公们也经常看板球 并非出于对这项运动的爱 而是因为板球是一种他们迎合英殖民者 统治的方式
patronize:v.光顾;资助;摆出高人一等的派头;赞助; ingratiating:adj.竭力讨好的;巴结的;v.讨好;迎合;巴结;(ingratiate的现在分词)
But there is one other reason why India fell in love with cricket, which was, all you needed was a plank of wood and a rubber ball, and any number of people could play it anywhere. 但是印度人爱板球还有另一个原因 就是你只需要一块木板 一个橡皮球,几个伙伴 就可以在任何地方打板球了
plank:n.[木]厚木板;支架;政纲条款;v.在…上铺板;撂下;立刻付款; rubber:n.橡胶;橡皮;v.涂橡胶于…;
Take a look. 看看这个
You could play it in the dump with some rocks over there. 你可以在一个有一些石头的 废物堆上打
dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆;
You could play it in a little ally . 你可以在小巷子里打
ally:n.盟友;同盟国;v.与…结盟
You couldn't hit square anywhere, because the bat hit the wall. 你不能在任何一个拐角处击球,因为这样球棒会打到墙
Don't forget the air conditioning and the cable wires. 还要注意别碰到空调和电线
air conditioning:n.空调系统;空气调节; cable:n.电缆; v.打电报; (用锚链,缆索等)系住;
(Laughter) (笑声)
You could play it on the banks of the Ganges. 你可以在刚果河岸上打
That's as clean as the Ganges has been for a long time. 刚果河一直都这么干净
Or you could play many games in one small patch of land, even if you didn't know which game you were actually in. 或者在一小块地上可以同时进行好几场比赛 甚至你根本搞不清你到底是哪一场比赛的参赛队员
patch:n.补丁;小片;眼罩;色斑;v.修补;打补丁;缝补;
(Laughter) (笑声)
As you can see , you can play anywhere. 如你刚才所看到的,哪里都可以打板球。
As you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
But slowly the game moved on, you know, finally . 但是慢慢的,这个运动发生了变化 终于
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
You don't always have five days. So, we moved on, and we started playing 50 over cricket. 你不是总有五天的闲工夫。于是,我们改了, 我们开始玩50回合板球。(除20回合外另一种限制回合的比赛形式)
And then an enormous accident took place. 然后,一个巨大的意外发生了。
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
In Indian sport we don't make things happen. 在印度的竞技运动中我们从不刻意制造大事件
Accidents happen and we're in the right place at the right time , sometimes. 但总有意外发生,在正确的时间,正确的地点。
at the right time:在适当时候;
And we won this World Cup in 1983. 于是我们在1983年赢得了世界杯
And suddenly we fell in love with the 50 over game. 于是突然之间我们爱上了50回合的单日比赛
And we played in virtually every day. 于是我们每天都打50回合的单日比赛
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上;
There was more 50 over cricket than anywhere. 比任何别的地方都多
But there was another big date. 不久,另一个大日子降临了
1983 was when we won the World Cup. 1983年是我们赢得世界杯的年份
1991,'92, we found a finance minister and a prime minister willing to let the world look at India, rather than be this great country of intrigue and mystery in this closed country, 1991-92年度,我们找到了一个财政部长 和一个首相 他们想让世界了解印度 让印度不再是那个充满神秘感 的封闭的国家
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; prime minister:n.首相;总理;
And so we allowed multinationals into India. 于是我们允许跨国公司进入印度
multinationals:n.跨国公司(multinational的复数);
We cut customs duties. We reduced import duties. 我们削减了进出口关税
And we got all the multinationals coming in, with multinational budgets , who looked at per capita income and got very excited about the possibilities in India, and were looking for a vehicle to reach every Indian. 我们让具有跨国预算的 跨国公司进入 他们目标在于人均收益 所以他们对在印度的远景感到乐观 所以他们需要一个载体来和印度人接触
budgets:n.[财政]预算(budget复数形式);v.为…做预算(budget的第三人称单数形式); per capita:adj.每人的;人均的; vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
And there are only two vehicles in India, one real, one scripted . 这时有两个载体可选,一个是真实的,一个编造的
vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数) scripted:adj.照书面稿念的;v.为电影(或戏剧等)写剧本;(script的过去分词和过去式)
The scripted one is what you see in the movies. 编造的那个就是印度电影
The real one was cricket. 真实的那个就是板球
And so one of my friends sitting right here in front of me, 所以我的一个朋友,就是坐在我正前方的这位
Ravi Tarival from Pepsi , decided he's going to take it all over the world. 来自百事公司的Ravi Tarival,决定选择板球 来进行全球化推广
Pepsi:n.[食品]百事可乐(一种饮料的商标名称);
And Pepsi was this big revolution. Because they started taking cricket all over. 于是百事就促成了这次重大变革。由于他们开始推广板球
And so cricket started becoming big. 于是板球运动开始壮大
Cricket started bringing riches in. 板球开始给印度带来财富
Television started covering cricket. For a long time television said, "We won't cover cricket unless you pay us to cover it." 电视开始报道板球。在很长一段时间 电视媒体总是宣称,“我们不会报道板球的 除非你们给我们钱。”
Then they said, "Okay, the next rights are sold for 55 million dollars. 现在他们对电视媒体说,“好, 下次转播权售价5500万美元
The next rights are sold for 612 million dollars." 再下次售价6120万美元。”
So, it's a bit of a curve , that. 有点曲线上升的意思
curve:n.曲线;弯曲;曲面;弧线;v.(使)沿曲线移动;呈曲线形;
And then another big accident happened in our cricket. 于是我们的板球运动又发生了一次重要事件
England invented 20 overs cricket, and said, "The world must play 20 overs cricket." 英格兰发明了20回合比赛制 然后宣布,“全世界都必须进行20回合比赛制的板球比赛”
Just as England invented cricket, and made the rest of the world play it. 就跟当年英格兰发明了板球,然后非让全世界都玩一样。
Thank God for them. 真得为这个感谢上帝啊!
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so, India had to go and play the T20 World Cup, you see. 于是呢,你看吧,印度也得去打20回合比赛制(T20)的世界杯了。
India didn't want to play the T20 World Cup. 我们真不想参加T20世界杯
But we were forced to play it by an 8-1 margin . 可是8-1的悬殊投票结果迫使我们必须参加
margin:n.边缘;利润,余裕;页边的空白;v.加边于;加旁注于;
And then something very dramatic happened. 然后特别戏剧化的事发生了
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
We got to the final, and then this moment, that will remain enshrined forever, for everybody, take a look. 我们闯进了决赛,这个时刻 将被我们每一个人永远铭记 请看
enshrined:把…置于神龛内;把…奉若神;珍藏;铭记(enshrine的过去式和过去分词);
(Crowd cheering) (人群的欢呼声)
The Pakistani batsman trying to clear the fielder . 巴基斯坦的击球手企图不让印度队外野手接到球
Pakistani:adj.巴基斯坦的;n.巴基斯坦人; batsman:n.击球手,打者; fielder:n.外野手;外场员(等于fieldsman);
Announcer : And Zishan takes it! India wins! 解说员:Zishan把球接到了!印度赢了!
Announcer:n.[广播]广播员;宣告者;
What a match for a Twenty20 final. 这是一场多么激动人心的T20决赛啊
India, the world champions. 印度是世界冠军
(Cheering) (欢呼声)
India, T20 champions. 印度是T20冠军
But what a game we had, M S Dhoni got it right in the air, but Misbah-ul-Haq, what a player. M S Dhoni没有失误 他将球击入空中,但是Zishan把球接到了,多么伟大的运动员。
A massive massive success. 这是一场酣畅淋漓的巨大胜利
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
India, the world TT champions. 印度,T20世界冠军。
Harsha Bhogle: Suddenly India discovered this power of 20-overs cricket. 突然间,印度又发现了20回合制板球的魅力
The accident, of course, there, was that the batsman thought the bowler was bowling fast. 当然这场大胜其实归功于巴基斯坦的击球手 还以为我们的投球手会来个快速投球
bowler:n.圆顶礼帽;投球手;玩滚球的人;
(Laughter) (笑声)
If he had bowled fast the ball would have gone where it was meant to go, but it didn't go. And we suddenly discovered that we could be good at this game. 如果他真的来了个快速投球,球就会按预料的路线走了 但是球没有按预料的路线走。于是我们突然发现 我们真的很擅长这项运动
And what it also did was it lead to a certain pride in the fact that India could be the best in the world. 而且板球给与了印度人某种自信 让我们开始坚信印度可以成为全世界最棒的
It was a time when investment was coming in, 那时正值外资流入印度
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
India was feeling a little more confident about itself. 印度刚刚变得更加自信了一些
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
And so there was a feeling that there was great pride in what we can do. 然后这个冠军又给了我们更大的自信 去成功地做成些什么
And thankfully for all of us, the English are very good at inventing things. 英国人特擅长发明东西 我们还真得为这事谢天谢地
thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地;
And then the gracious people that they are, they let the world become very good at it. 另外,他们还这么仁慈宽厚 他们让这个世界都擅长他们的发明
gracious:adj.亲切的;高尚的;和蔼的;雅致的;int.天哪;哎呀;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so England invented T20 cricket, and allowed India to hijack it. 于是呢,英格兰发明T20板球 然后让印度劫持了个世界杯冠军
hijack:v.抢劫;揩油;拦路抢劫;n.劫持;威逼;敲诈;
It was not like reengineering that we do in medicine, we just took it straight away , as is. 这还跟我们在药品上的二次设计生产不一样 我们这回是直接拿走的,没做任何改变。
reengineering:n.企业再造;再造工程;重建;v.再设计;重新建造(reengineer的ing形式); straight away:马上;即刻;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And so, we launched our own T20 league . 然后,我们开展了我们自己的T20联赛
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) league:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟;
Six weeks, city versus city. 赛程六周,是城市与城市之间的比赛
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
It was a new thing for us. We had only ever supported our country -- the only two areas in which India was very proud about their country, representing itself on the field. 这对我们来说是件新鲜事。我们原来只支持我们的国家--- 在印度只有两样东西 可以让印度人产生民族自豪感
representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词)
One was war, the Indian army, which we don't like to happen very often. 一个是战争中的印度军队,当然我们可不希望这经常发生
The other was Indian cricket. 另一样就是印度板球了
Now, suddenly we had to support city leagues. 现在突然间,我们得去支持自己城市的联赛了
But the people getting into these city leauges were people who had taken their queues from the west. 人们投入到这些城市间的联赛中 是西学东渐来的
queues:n.[数]队列;行列(queue的复数形式);v.[数]排队(queue的第三人称单数);
America is a home of leagues. And they said, "Right, we'll build some glitzy leagues here in India." 美国是联赛之乡。于是有人说, “好。那就让我们也在印度发展一些金光闪闪的联赛吧”
glitzy:adj.眩目的;(美,加)闪光的;耀眼的;
But was India ready for it? 只是印度准备好了吗?
Because cricket, for a long time in India was always organized . 因为在很长一段时间里,板球在印度都是组织规划的
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
It was never promoted . It was never sold, it was organized. 它从没被当成商品市场化过。
promoted:v.促进:促销:提升:(promote的过去分词和过去式)
And look what they did with our beautiful, nice, simple family game. 来看看他们通过我们这美丽迷人又简单的家庭运动 做了些什么吧
All of the sudden you had that happening. 一切都发生在突然之间
(Music) (音乐)
An opening ceremony to match every other. 这是一场可以媲美其他任何开幕式的开幕式表演
opening ceremony:开学典礼;开幕式;开幕仪式;开幕典礼;
This was an India that was buying Corvettes . This was an India that was buying Jaguar . 这是一个人们开着雪佛兰和捷豹的印度
Corvettes:n.小型护卫舰;(corvette的复数) Jaguar:n.捷豹(汽车品牌);
This was an India that was adding more mobile phones per month than New Zeland's population twice over. 这个国家每个月增加的手机数量 是新西兰人口总数两倍
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
So, it was a different India. 所以,这是一个崭新的印度
But it was also a slightly more orthodox India that was very happy to be modern, but didn't want to say that to people. 但同时,这也是个有些保守 很愿意变得摩登一些 又不太想直接向人们透露这个想法的印度
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; orthodox:adj.正统的;传统的;惯常的;东正教的;n.正统的人;正统的事物;
And so, they were aghast when the cheerleaders arrived. 所以当人们第一次看到拉拉队长时都惊呆啦
aghast:adj.吓呆的,惊骇的;吃惊的; cheerleaders:n.拉拉队(电影名);啦啦队;
Everyone secretly watched them. But everyone claimed not to. 每个人都偷偷看她们。但是没人承认他们在偷看
claimed:v.宣称;声称;断言;索取;认领;索要(claim的过去分词和过去式)
(Music) (音乐)
(Laughter) (笑声)
The new owners of Indian cricket were not the old princes. 印度板球的新老板不是旧式的王侯
They were not bureaucrats who were forced into sport because the didn't actually love it, these were people who ran serious companies. 他们并不是那些本来不爱板球 却被逼无奈投入板球的官僚 他们是那些管理着大公司的人
bureaucrats:官僚;
And so they started promoting cricket big time, started promoting clubs big time. 所以他们开始促成板球的盛世 开始促成俱乐部的盛世
promoting:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升;(promote的现在分词)
And they've started promoting them the huge money behind it. 还促成了这背后巨大的资金周转
I mean the IPL had 2.3 billion dollars before a ball was bowled. 我是说印度超级联赛(IPL)在第一个球投出之前 已经有23亿美元的收入
1.6 billion dollars for television revenue over 10 years, and another 70 million dollars plus from all these franchises that were putting in money. And then they had to appeal to their cities. 其中16亿是10年以上电视转播的收益 另7亿美元是特许经营权售卖之后得来的 然后他们要做的就是吸引各个城市
revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署; franchises:n.[贸易]特许权,公民权(franchise的复数形式); v.赋予特权,赋予公民权(franchise的三单形式); appeal:n.上诉;吸引力;申诉;魅力;v.上诉;呼吁;申诉;恳求;
But they had to do it like the West right? Because we are setting up leagues. 他们必须得学西方那一套对不对?毕竟我们现在有自己的联赛了
But what they were very good at doing was making it very localized . 可是呢,他们恰恰特别擅长 把西方那一套本土化
localized:adj.局部的;地区的;小范围的;v.定位(localize的过去分词);
So, just to give you an example of how they did it, not Manchester United style promotion, but very Mumbai style promotion, take a look. 让我来给你们举个例子吧,看看他们是怎么做的 他们的宣传一点也不曼联 而是非常孟买的哦,来看看
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
(Music) (音乐)
Of course a lot of people said maybe they dance better than they play. 当然,肯定有人说他们跳得好,板球不一定打得咋样。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But that's alright. What it did also is it changed the way we looked at cricket. 不过随他们说吧。这个还改变了我们看待板球的方式呢
All along, if you wanted a young cricketer you picked him up from the bylanes of your own little locality , your own city, and you were very proud of the system that produced those cricketers. 原来的时候,如果你需要一个年轻的板球运动员 你要去跑到你们那旮沓的小巷子里去挑 你还十分满意这种 造就板球运动员的体系
locality:n.所在;位置;地点;
Now, all of the sudden, if you were to bowl a shot, if Mumbai were to bowl a shot, for example, they needn't go to Kalbadevi or Shivaji Park or somewhere, to source them, they could go to Trinidad. 而现在呢,突然间,如果你想要个投球手 比方说孟买队需要个投球手 他们就不需要跑到Kalbadevi啊, 或者Shivaji公园这样的地方去发掘人才 他们可以直接去特立尼达岛
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
This was the new India wasn't it? This was the new world 已经是新印度了对不对?这是个新世界
Where you can source from anywhere as long as you get the best product at the best price. 你可以在任何地方发掘板球新秀 只要你觉着你能发掘到的队员“人美价廉”
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; at the best:adv.充其量,至多;
And all of the sudden Indian sport had awakened to the reality that you can source the best product for the best price anywhere in the world. 然后突然之间整个印度体育界都意识到 你可以挑选最“人美价廉”的运动员这个事实, 随便在世界上哪个地方
awakened:adj.觉醒的;v.唤醒(awaken的过去式); for the best:出于好意;
So, the Mumbai Indians flew in Dwayne Bravo from Trinidad and Tobago, overnight . And when he had to go back to represent the West Indies , they asked him, "When do you have to reach?" 所以,孟买印度人的队员可以前晚还在特立尼达和多巴哥,第二天就飞到德维恩布拉沃 如果他必须回去代表西方独立队参赛 他们就会问他,“你什么时候必须到?”
Bravo:n.喝彩;亡命徒;v.喝彩;int.好极了; overnight:adj.夜间的; v.在夜间; n.(美)前一天的晚上; West Indies:n.西印度群岛(位于加勒比海和大西洋之间,包括安的列斯群岛和巴哈马群岛);
He said, "I have to be there by a certain time, so I have to leave today." 他说,“我得某个时间赶到,所以我必须今天走”
We said, "No no no. It's not about when you have to leave, it's about when do you have to reach there." 我们就会说,“不不不,不是问你啥时候必须走, 而是问你啥时候必须到那。”
And so he said, "I've got to reach on date X." 于是他回答,“我必须在X号赶到”
And they said, "Fine, you play to date X, minus one." 于是他们说,“好,你在这打到(X-1)号吧”
minus:prep.减,减去;n.负号,减号;不足;负数;adj.减的;负的;
So, he played in Hyderabad, went, straight after the game went from the stadium to Hyderabad airport , sat in a private corporate jet, first refueling in Portugal, second refueling in Brasil . He was in West Indies in time. 于是,他在Hyderabad比赛,然后比完赛直接从体育馆 赶到机场 坐上私人直升机,在葡萄牙加一次油 在巴西再加一次。他就能及时赶到西印度了
stadium:n.[体]露天大型体育场;[病]病期;[生]生长期;龄期; airport:n.机场;航空港; corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; refueling:n.再加燃料;再加油;v.给…再加燃料(refuel的ing形式); Brasil:巴西;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Never would India have thought on this scale before. 印度原来从未想过会玩这么大
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
Never would India have said, "I want a player to play one game for me, and I will use a corporate jet to send him all the way back to Kingston , Jamaica , to play a game." 从来也不会想有人会说,“我要一个运动员给我比赛, 比完赛我用直升机送他 去牙买加的Kingston 参加另一场比赛。”
Kingston:n.金斯敦(牙买加首都); Jamaica:n.牙买加(拉丁美洲一个国家);
And I just thought to myself, "Wow, we've arrived somewhere in the world, you know? 有时我就自已一个人在那想, “哇,我们真的已经到达某个层次了。
We have arrived somewhere. We are thinking big." 我们解放了思想,并且到达了一个高度
But what this also did was it started marrying the two most important things in Indian cricket which is cricket, and the movies in Indian entertainment. 而且这还使得印度两样最重要的东西 开始水乳交融: 板球,和印度电影
There is cricket and the movies. 板球和印度电影始终都存在
And they came together because people in the movies now started owning clubs. 但是他们开始发生关系是因为一些印度电影人 开始收购俱乐部,成为俱乐部的老板
And so, people started going to the cricket to watch Preity Zinta. 于是呢,人们开始为了看到Preity Zinta(印度著名女影星)而去看板球
They started going to the cricket to watch Shahrukh Khan . 人们开始为看到Preity Zinta而去看板球的同时
Khan:n.可汗(对最高统治者的尊称);商队客店;
And something very interesting happened. 一些有趣的事情发生了
We started getting song and dance in Indian cricket. 印度板球比赛中也能看到一些歌舞表演
And so it started resembling the Indian movies more and more. 这就让板球开始有印度电影的影子
resembling:v.看起来像;显得像;像;(resemble的现在分词)
And of course, if you were on Preity Zinta's team as you will see on the clip that follows, if you did well you got a hug from Preity Zinta. 当然了,如果你是Preity Zinta队的队员 等会你会在视频片段中看到,如果你做得好 你会得到Preity Zinta的拥抱作为奖励
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
So that was the ultimate reason to do well. Take a look. 这可是个管用的奖励。来看看。
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则;
Everyone's watching Preity Zinta. 每个人都在注视着Preity Zinta
(Music) (音乐)
And then of course there was Shahrukh playing the Kolkata crowd. 当然还得提一下Shahrukh(印度一著名男影星)在鼓舞加尔各答观众的士气
We'd all seen matches in Kolkata, but we'd never seen anything like this. 加尔各答的比赛有很多 可是我们从没见过这样的比赛
Shahrukh, with the Bengali song, getting the audiences all worked up for Kolkata, not for India, but for Kolkata. Shahrukh,唱着孟加拉语的歌,鼓动观众们一起为 加尔各答加油,不是为印度国家队喔,而是为加尔各答
But take a look at this. 然后再看看这个
take a look at:看一看;检查;
(Music) (音乐)
An Indian film star hugging a Pakistani cricketer because they'd won in Kolkata. 一个印度电影明星和一个巴基斯坦板球运动员拥抱, 因为他们都支持加尔各达队,他们此时是一心的
film star:n.电影明星;
Can you imagine? 你能想象么?
And do you know what the Pakistani cricketer said? 而且你知道巴基斯坦的板球运动员说了什么么?
(Aplause) (掌声)
I wish I was playing for Preity Zinta's team. 我希望我能为Preity Zinta的板球队比赛
(Laughter) (笑声)
But I thought I'd take this opportunity -- there's a few people from Pakistan in here. 我想我得抓住这个机会 可能在坐的朋友们中来自巴基斯坦的并不多
I'm so happy that you're here because I think we can show that we can both be together and be friends, right. 但是我很高兴你们能来 因为我觉得我们可以证明我们可以成为朋友
We can play cricket together, we can be friends. 我们能在一起打板球,我们能成为朋友
So thank you very much for coming, all of you from Pakistan. 所以巴基斯坦的朋友们,感谢你们今天的到来
(Applause) (掌声)
There was criticism too because they said, "Players are being bought and sold? 当然了,也会有一些批评的声音会说, “运动员就这样被买来卖去么?
criticism:n.批评;批判;评论;指责;
Are they grain ? 他们是谷子?
grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒;
Are they cattle?" 还是牛?”
Because we had this auction you see. 他们这么说是因为我们有拍卖会
auction:v.拍卖;竞卖;n.拍卖;
How do you fix a price for a player? 怎么给一个运动员定价呢
And so the auction that followed, literally had people saying, 拍卖会开始后 有个人大锤一敲
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
Bang ! so many million dollars for so and so player. 呯!这个人值这些钱。
Bang:n.猛敲; v.猛敲; v.正好; so and so:某某;如此这般;谁谁;如此如此沙咸沙;
There it is. 就像这样。
(Music) (音乐)
Auctioneer : Going at 1,500,000 dollars. Chennai . 拍卖人:到1500000美元啦。[不清楚]
Auctioneer:vt.拍卖;n.拍卖商; Chennai:n.金奈(印度的第四大城市);
Shane Warne sold for 450,000 dollars. [不清楚]价值450000美元
HB: Suddenly, a game which earned its players 50 rupees a day -- so 250 rupees for a test match , but if you finish in four days you only got 200. 本来板球运动员一天薪水50卢比 所以打一场测试赛(共5天)可以赚250卢比 如果比赛第4天就结束了,就只能赚到200卢比了。
rupees:n.卢比(rupee复数); test match:n.(板球或橄榄球的)各国家队间的决赛阶段比赛;
The best Indian players who played every test match, every one of the internationals, the top of the line players, 现在最好的印度板球运动员,那种每场测试赛都不缺席, 最一线的运动员
Standard contracts are 220,000 dollars in a whole year. 一般合同上会签220000美元的年薪
Standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; contracts:n.[经]合同; v.使收缩;
Now they were getting 500,000 for six days work then Andrew Flintoff came by from England, he got a one and a half million dollars, and he went back and said, 也就是说,他们工作六天,可以赚500000 这把Andrew Flintoff从英格兰吸引到了印度 他赚了150万美元后回国说,
'"In four weeks, I'm earning more than Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, and I'm earning more than the footballers , wow." “我四周内赚的钱比兰帕德和杰拉德都多, 哇,我赚的比足球运动员多啊。”
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄; footballers:n.足球运动员;橄榄球运动员;
And where was he earning from? From a little club in India. 他从哪儿赚了这么多钱呢?从印度一个小小的俱乐部而已。
Could you have imagined that day would come? 你能想象这种日子真的来临了吗?
One and a half million dollars for six weeks work. 六周赚150万美元。
That's not bad, is it. 真不错,对不对?
So, at 2.3 billion dollars before the first ball was bowled. 现在你们知道哪些比赛前的23亿美元都去了哪了吧
What India was do though was benchmarking itself against the best in the world, and it became a huge brand . 印度一直以来就喜欢挑战 世界上最好的 这已经成了印度的一个品牌标志
benchmarking:n.标杆管理;标记;确定基准点; brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印;
Lalit Modi was on the cover of Business Today. Lalit Modi(印度著名板球运动员)登上今周刊的封面
Modi:n.程序(modus的复数);
IPL became the biggest brand in India and, because our elections, had to be moved to South Africa, and we had to start the tournament in three weeks. IPL变成印度最赫赫有名的品牌 由于选举原因,IPL要转移到南非比赛 我们在比赛开始前三周启程
tournament:n.锦标赛,联赛;比赛;
Move a whole tournament to South Africa in three weeks. 在比赛前三周开始启程到南非去
But we did it. You know why? 知道我们为什么这么做吗?
Because no country works as slowly as we do till three week before an event, and nobody works fast as we do in the last three weeks. 因为在赛程开始前三周之前 没有哪个国家比我们效率更低了 但在最后三周,没有人比我们效率更高。
(Applause) (掌声)
Our population, which, for a long time we thought was a problem, suddenly became our biggest asset because there were more people watching -- the huge consuming class -- everybody came to watch the cricket. 我们的人口基数,在很长一段时间都被看做是制约我们发展的障碍 突然间,障碍变成了财富 因为有更多人在看板球啊---- 庞大的消费阶层---- 每个人都去看板球
asset:n.资产;优点;有用的东西;有利条件;财产;有价值的人或物; consuming:adj.消费的;强烈的;v.消耗(consume的ing形式);
We'd also made cricket the only sport in India, which is a pity, but in India every other sport pushes cricket to become big, which is a bit of a tragedy of our times. 我们几乎把板球变成了印度唯一的运动项目 这很可惜,但是在印度其他任何运动 都只能把板球推向一个更流行的位置 这可以算是我们这个时代的一点小悲哀
tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
Now, this last minute before I go -- there's a couple of side effects of all this. 所以最后我要承认 这一切还是有一些负面效用的
For a long time, India was this country of poverty , dust, beggars , snake charmers , filth , 很长一段时间里,印度是个又穷 又脏,乞丐多 弄蛇人多,藏污纳垢
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; beggars:n.乞丐;叫花子;家伙;v.使贫穷;使匮乏(beggar的第三人称单数和复数) charmers:n.魔术师;可爱的人; filth:n.污秽;肮脏;猥亵;不洁;
Delhi belly -- people heard Delhi belly stories before they came. 新德里痢疾泛滥的国家----人们在来印度之前就都听说过新德里痢疾了
Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名); belly:n.腹部;胃;食欲;v.涨满;鼓起;
And, all of a sudden , there was this land of opportunity. 然后,一瞬间,它变成了一块充满机会的福地
all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地;
Cricketers all over the world said, "You know, we love India. We love to play in India." 全世界的板球运动员都会说, “我们爱印度,我们喜欢在那里打比赛”
And that felt good, you know. 你要知道,这种感觉真是很好
We said, "The dollar's quite powerful actually." 于是我们说,“真是有钱能使鬼推磨啊”
Can you imagine, you've got the dollar on view and there's no Delhi belly in there anymore. 你能想象不,一旦你在这个地方有钱可赚 新德里痢疾就被抛到九霄云外了
There's no filth, there's no beggars. All the snake charmers have vanished . 这里不再藏污纳垢,不再有乞丐。所有的弄蛇人都消失了
vanished:v.消失了;突然消失;消亡;绝迹;(vanish的过去分词和过去式)
Everybody's gone. This tells you how the capitalist world rules. 一切成了过去式。这验证了资本主义世界的规律
capitalist:n.资本家;资本主义者;adj.资本主义的;资本家的;
Right, so finally, an English game that India usurped a little bit, but T20 is going to be the next missionary in the world. 好,最后总结一下 今天演讲的主题是印度盗用英国人的一项运动 虽然T20能作为下一任传教士向整个世界普及板球
usurped:v.篡夺;侵权;(usurp的过去分词和过去式) missionary:adj.传教的;传教士的;n.传教士;
If you want to take the game around the world, it's got to be the shortest form of the game. 因为如果你想向其他国家普及一项运动 你必须把这项运动简化
You can't take a timeless test to China and sit through 14 days with no result in the end, or you can't take it all over the world. 你总不能教中国人一项无限时,大战14天最后还不了了之的运动吧 这样,它永远都没法走向世界
sit through:v.一直挺到结束;耐着性子看完;
So that's what T20 is doing. 所以T20可以做到这点
Hopefully, it'll make everyone richer, hopefully it'll make the game bigger and hopefully it'll give cricket commentators more time in the business. 希望它能让每个人都更富裕,也希望它能将板球推向更盛大的阶段 希望它能给我们这些板球评论员们更多的一席之地
commentators:n.评论员;注释者(commentator的复数);
Thank you very much. Thank you. 谢谢大家 十分感谢
(Applause) (掌声)