|
|
HansRosling_2007-_以新的视角解读当今世界的贫困问题_
|
I told you three things last year. |
去年我们讲了3个问题 |
I told you that the statistics of the world have not been made properly available. |
我们已经谈过了 世界的统计资料并不为人们所知 |
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
|
Because of that, we still have the old mindset of developing and industrialized countries, which is wrong. |
所以我们仍错误的 把世界划分为发达国家与发展中国家 |
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态; industrialized:adj.工业化的;v.使工业化;将…组成产业(industrialize的过去分词);
|
And that animated graphics can make a difference . |
但是新的统计数据动画技术将引领变革 |
animated:adj.栩栩如生的; v.使具活力; (animate的过去分词和过去式) graphics:n.[测]制图学;制图法;图表算法; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
Things are changing. |
变革已经开始 |
And today, on the United Nations Statistic Division Home Page , it says, by first of May, full access to the databases. |
今天,在联合国统计署的官方网站上 通告说5月1日以后所有数据库向公众开放 |
United Nations:n.联合国; Division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧; Home Page:n.主页;首页;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And if I could share the image with you on the screen. |
我们一起看大屏幕 |
So three things had happened. |
(过去1年中)发生了3件事 |
U.N. opened their statistic databases, and we have a new version of the software up working as a beta on the net, so you don't have to download it any longer. |
联合国开放了他们的数据库 我们的软件推出了新版本 其测试版可以在线使用 所以今后大家再也不用下载了 |
beta:n.贝它(希腊字母表的第二个字母);
|
And let me repeat what you saw last year. |
首先我们回顾一下去年的内容 |
The bubbles are the countries. |
每个球代表一个国家 |
bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Here you have the fertility rate -- the number of children per woman -- and there you have the length of life in years. |
X轴是生育率,每个妇女的育儿数 Y轴是平均寿命年数 |
fertility:n.多产;肥沃;[农经]生产力;丰饶;
|
This is 1950 -- those were the industrialized countries, those were developing countries. |
当前数据是1950年,这些是发达国家 这些是发展中国家 |
At that time there was a "we" and "them." |
那时世界是由“我们和他们”构成的 |
There was a huge difference in the world. |
那时候各国差距很大 |
But then it changed, and it went on quite well. |
后来世界往好的方向上改变了 |
And this is what happens. |
这就是变化的过程 |
You can see how China is the red, big bubble; the blue there is India. |
那个大的红球代表中国 而那个大的蓝球代表印度 |
And they go over all this ... I'm going to try to be a little more serious this year in showing you how things really changed. |
(今年我想 稍微严肃一些地向你们展示 世界的发展过程) |
And it's Africa which stands out as the problem down here, doesn't it? |
而这些(小的深蓝色球)非洲国家 正是问题所在 |
Large families still, and the HIV epidemic brought down the countries like this. |
庞大的家庭,艾滋病流行 导致平均寿命下降 |
HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
|
This is more or less what we saw last year, and this is how it will go on into the future. |
这基本上就是去年我们所讲的内容 而这是对未来的预测 |
more or less:或多或少;
|
And I will talk on, is this possible? |
我得说这些只是可能发生的 |
Because you see now, I presented statistics that don't exist. |
因为现在我们看到的 实际上是不存在的统计数据 |
Because this is where we are. |
这是目前的实际情况 |
Will it be possible that this will happen? |
也许未来的发展会像这样 |
I cover my lifetime here, you know? |
(这段时间)包含了我的人生 |
I expect to live 100 years. |
我期望活到100岁 |
And this is where we are today. |
这是今天的世界 |
Now could we look here at instead the economic situation in the world? |
我们看看世界的经济情况 |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
|
And I would like to show that against child survival . |
和对应的儿童健康状况 |
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
|
We'll swap the axis : here you have child mortality -- that is, survival -- four kids dying there, 200 dying there. |
我们翻转一下Y轴 现在Y轴是儿童死亡率 这里是千分之四的死亡率 而那里是千分之两百的死亡率 |
swap:n.交换;交换之物;vt.与...交换;以...作交换;vi.交换;交易; axis:n.轴;轴线;轴心国; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运;
|
And this is GDP per capita on this axis. |
X轴是人均GDP |
per capita:adj.每人的;人均的;
|
And this was 2007. |
当前是2007年的数据 |
And if I go back in time, I've added some historical statistics -- here we go, here we go, here we go -- not so much statistics 100 years ago. |
如果我们回到过去,我们增加了一些历史数据 100年前没有多少数据统计 |
historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的;
|
Some countries still had statistics. |
只有少数国家有数据可查 |
We are looking down in the archive , and where we are down into 1820, there is only Austria and Sweden that can produce numbers. |
我们参考了历史文献的记载 现在我们看到的是1820年的数据 那时只有奥地利和瑞典人识数 |
archive:n.档案馆;档案文件; Austria:n.奥地利;[国]奥地利;欧洲中南部内陆国家;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But they were down here, they had 1,000 dollars per person per year. |
但他们在下边,每人每年1000美元的收入 |
And they lost one-fifth of their kids before their first birthday. |
五分之一的孩子活不到1岁生日 |
So this is what happens in the world, if we play the entire world. |
这就是那时的世界。再看看世界的发展 |
How they got slowly richer and richer, and they add statistics. |
这些国家慢慢变得富有 另一些国家开始拥有统计数据 |
Isn't it beautiful when they get statistics? |
(这些数据是不是很漂亮? |
You see the importance of that? |
大家发现统计的重要性了吧) |
And here, children don't live longer. |
但是儿童健康并没有得到很大的改善 |
The last century, 1870, was bad for the kids in Europe, because most of this statistics is Europe. |
在19世纪70年代左右,欧洲的孩子们很不幸 因为这些数据都来自欧洲国家 |
It was only by the turn of the century that more than 90 percent of the children survived their first year. |
直到19世纪与20世纪交替的时候 90%以上的孩子能庆祝1岁生日 |
This is India coming up, with the first data from India. |
现在出现的是印度(蓝球) |
And this is the United States moving away here, earning more money. |
而这个(黄球)是美国,人们的钱包越来越鼓 |
And we will soon see China coming up in the very far end corner here. |
中国(大的红球)出现在远处的角落 |
And it moves up with Mao Tse-Tung getting health, not getting so rich. |
毛泽东时代,中国儿童健康不断改善 但是收入的增加很缓慢 |
There he died, then Deng Xiaoping brings money, it moves this way over here. |
毛泽东去世后,邓小平带来了金钱 中国朝着高收入的方向发展 |
And the bubbles keep moving up there, and this is what the world looks like today. |
其他国家也都在发展 这就是今天我们的世界 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Let us have a look at the United States. |
现在我们看看美国 |
have a look at:看一看,看一眼;
|
We have a function here -- I can tell the world, "Stay where you are." |
(新软件)多了一个选项,可以让世界(其他国家)静止 |
And I take the United States -- we still want to see the background -- |
我们把美国选定,把背景调亮 |
I put them up like this, and now we go backwards. |
这样可以看到其他国家 |
And we can see that the United States goes to the right of the mainstream . |
接着我们回到过去 美国始终在主流的右侧 |
mainstream:n.主流;
|
They are on the money side all the time. |
他们总和钱站在同一边 |
And down in 1915, the United States was a neighbor of India -- present, contemporary India. |
回到1915年,当时的美国 和今天的印度差不多 |
contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的;
|
And that means United States was richer, but lost more kids than India is doing today, proportionally . |
当时的美国(比今天的印度)更富有 儿童死亡率却更高 |
proportionally:adv.成比例地;相称地,适当地;
|
And look here -- compare to the Philippines of today. |
再看这里,菲律宾(与美国)相比 |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; Philippines:n.菲律宾;
|
The Philippines of today has almost the same economy as the United States during the First World War . |
菲律宾今天的经济水平 与一战时期的美国差不多 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; First World War:n.第一次世界大战(1914至1918年间,主战场在欧洲);
|
But we have to bring United States forward quite a while to find the same health of the United States as we have in the Philippines. |
但美国需要(从一战后)发展多少年 才能达到菲律宾今天的儿童健康水平呢 才能达到菲律宾今天的儿童健康水平呢 |
About 1957 here, the health of the United States is the same as the Philippines. |
直到1957年,美国的儿童健康水平 才和今天的菲律宾一样 |
And this is the drama of this world which many call globalized , is that Asia, Arabic countries, Latin America , are much more ahead in being healthy, educated, having human resources than they are economically . |
这就是世界发展的剧本,很多人称之为“全球化” 也就是说在亚洲,阿拉伯国家和拉丁美洲 其健康和教育水平的发展速度 远超过了经济发展的速度 |
drama:n.戏剧;戏剧艺术;戏剧文学;戏剧性事件; globalized:vt.使全球化; Latin America:n.拉丁美洲(以西班牙语或葡萄牙语为主要语言的美洲地区); human resources:n.人力资源;(公司的)人事部; economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地;
|
There's a discrepancy in what's happening today in the emerging economies . |
而在今天的新兴国家中 发展的差异 |
discrepancy:n.不符;矛盾;相差; emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词) economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
|
There now, social benefits, social progress, are going ahead of economical progress. |
更多的体现在社会的进步 而不是经济的发展 |
And 1957 -- the United States had the same economy as Chile has today. |
1957年美国的经济水平与今天的智利相近 |
And how long do we have to bring United States to get the same health as Chile has today? |
但美国需要发展多少年 才能达到智利今天的儿童健康水平呢 |
I think we have to go, there -- we have 2001, or 2002 -- the United States has the same health than Chile. |
(我们要等到)2002年 美国的儿童健康水平才和今天的智利一样 |
Chile's catching up! |
智利已经赶上来了! |
Within some years Chile may have better child survival than the United States. |
几年后智利的儿童健康 可能会超过美国 |
This is really a change, that you have this lag of more or less 30, 40 years' difference on the health. |
这真是很大的变化,在不同的国家 经济发展和健康水平的差距有30,40年 |
lag:v.缓慢移动;发展缓慢;滞后;落后于;n.滞后,间隔;adj.慢的;最后的
|
And behind the health is the educational level. |
而在这个背后,有教育的差距 |
educational:adj.教育的;有关教育的;有教育意义的
|
And there's a lot of infrastructure things, and general human resources are there. |
还有基础设施的差距 以及人力资源的差距等等 |
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
Now we can take away this -- and I would like to show you the rate of speed, the rate of change, how fast they have gone. |
我们现在把其他国家去掉 再来看看不同的国家 其发展速度有怎样的差异 |
And we go back to 1920, and I want to look at Japan. |
回到1920年,先选定日本 |
And I want to look at Sweden and the United States. |
选定瑞典和美国 |
And I'm going to stage a race here between this sort of yellowish Ford here and the red Toyota down there, and the brownish Volvo. |
我们将举办一场车赛 选手分别是黄色的福特车(美国) 红色的丰田车(日本) 和棕色的沃尔沃车(瑞典) |
yellowish:adj.微黄色的,淡黄色的; Ford:n.福特[姓氏];浅滩;v.涉(水);渡河;津渡; brownish:adj.呈褐色的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And here we go, here we go. |
比赛开始 |
The Toyota has a very bad start down here, you can see, and the United States Ford is going off-road there. |
丰田车启动时的表现很差 福特车驶出了赛道 |
off-road:adj.越野的;adv.越野地;
|
And the Volvo is doing quite fine. |
沃尔沃表现的很不错 |
This is the war. The Toyota got off track , and now the Toyota is coming on the healthier side of Sweden -- can you see that? |
二战时,丰田车跑到了赛道外 但它(很快调整好)并在健康水平高于瑞典的一侧运行 但它(很快调整好)并在健康水平高于瑞典的一侧运行 |
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
|
And they are taking over Sweden, and they are now healthier than Sweden. |
现在它的健康水平 已经超过了瑞典 |
That's the part where I sold the Volvo and bought the Toyota. |
就在那一年 我把自己的沃尔沃换成了丰田车 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And now we can see that the rate of change was enormous in Japan. |
我们看到 日本的变化速度是惊人的 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
|
They really caught up. |
他们确实赶超了上来 |
And this changes gradually . |
但是这种变化是逐步发生的 |
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
|
We have to look over generations to understand it. |
要经历好几代人的时间才能理解这种变化 |
And let me show you my own sort of family history -- we made these graphs here. |
下面把我的家族史展示给大家看一下 (这张图代表今天的世界) |
And this is the same thing, money down there, and health, you know? |
Y轴代表健康水平,X轴是收入 |
And this is my family. |
(这根红线)代表了我的家族 |
This is Sweden, 1830, when my great-great-grandma was born. |
这里是1830年的瑞典 ,我的曾曾祖母出生于这一年 |
Sweden was like Sierra Leone today. |
1830年的瑞典和今天的塞拉利昂一样 |
Sierra:n.(尤指西班牙和美洲的)锯齿状山脉; Leone:n.利昂(塞拉利昂货币单位);
|
And this is when great-grandma was born, 1863. |
我的曾祖母生于1863年 |
And Sweden was like Mozambique. |
1863年的瑞典和今天的莫桑比克一样 |
And this is when my grandma was born, 1891. |
我的祖母生于1891年 |
She took care of me as a child, so I'm not talking about statistic now -- now it's oral history in my family. |
是她看着我长大的 现在我给大家讲述的不是统计数据 而是我本人的家族历史 |
oral history:n.口述历史(用访谈录音方法);口述历史学;
|
That's when I believe statistics, when it's grandma-verified statistics. |
我之所以相信这些统计数据 是因为我的祖母证实了这些数据的真实性 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I think it's the best way of verifying historical statistics. |
我认为祖母最适合于验证数据真实性 |
verifying:v.验证;核查(verify的ing形式);
|
Sweden was like Ghana. |
1891年的瑞典和今天的嘎纳一样 |
It's interesting to see the enormous diversity within sub-Saharan Africa. |
可见在撒哈拉以南非洲地区 国家间的差异非常巨大 |
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
|
I told you last year, I'll tell you again, my mother was born in Egypt, and I -- who am I? |
(我们再来回顾一下去年的内容) 我母亲出生于(今天的)埃及 |
I'm the Mexican in the family. |
我是家里的墨西哥人 |
And my daughter, she was born in Chile, and the grand-daughter was born in Singapore, now the healthiest country on this Earth. |
我女儿出生于(今天的)智利 我的孙女则出生在(今天的)新加坡 新加坡是目前世界上最健康的国家 |
It bypassed Sweden about two to three years ago, with better child survival. |
其儿童健康水平在2,3年前 超过了瑞典 |
bypassed:v.绕道,忽视(bypass的过去分词);
|
But they're very small, you know. |
但新加坡是个小地方 |
They're so close to the hospital we can never beat them out in these forests. |
人们住的地方和医院很近 把他们搬到瑞典的森林地区再比比看 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But homage to Singapore. |
但还是应该向新加坡致敬 |
homage:n.敬意;尊敬;效忠;
|
Singapore are the best ones, now. |
他们是最健康的国家之一 |
Now this looks also like a very good story. |
以上这些看起来很不错 |
But it's not really that easy, that it's all a good story. |
但这些好的现象不能代表全部 |
Because I have to show you one of the other facility . |
现在我们调整一下设置 |
facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
|
We can also make the color here represent the variable -- and what am I choosing here? |
把球的颜色重新设置一下,让颜色表示 把球的颜色重新设置一下,让颜色表示 |
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; variable:n.变量;可变因素;可变情况;adj.多变的;易变的;变化无常的;可更改的;
|
Carbon-dioxide emission , metric ton per capita. |
CO2人均排放量(公吨) |
Carbon-dioxide:二氧化碳; emission:n.(光、热等的)发射,散发;喷射;发行; metric ton:adj.公吨;
|
This is 1962, and United States was emitting 16 tons per person. |
1962年,美国的人均CO2排放量为16吨 |
emitting:v.发出,射出,散发(光、热、声音、气等);(emit的现在分词)
|
And China was emitting 0.6, and India was emitting 0.32 tons per capita. |
当时的中国人均排放0.6吨 印度为0.3吨 |
And what happens when we moved on? |
后来呢 |
Well, you see the nice story of getting richer and getting healthier -- everyone did it at the cost of emission of carbon dioxide . |
各国的经济和健康均得到了发展 各国的经济和健康均得到了发展 同时所有国家的人均CO2排放量都增加了 |
at the cost of:以…为代价; carbon dioxide:二氧化碳;
|
There is no one who has done it so far. |
没有哪个国家不是如此 |
And we don't have all the updated data any longer, because this is really hot data today. |
手头上我们没有更近的数据 因为CO2的数据现在很炙手可热 |
updated:adj.更新的;现代化的;v.使现代化;更新;(update的过去分词和过去式)
|
And there we are, 2001. |
最新的数据只有2001年的 |
And in the discussion I attended with global leaders, you know, many say now, the problem is the emerging economies, they are getting out too much carbon dioxide. |
上次我参加了一个世界领导人的会议 很多人在埋怨新兴国家 说他们排放了太多CO2 |
The Minister of the Environment of India said, "Well, you were the one who caused the problem." |
印度环境部的部长说 “问题出在你们那里 |
Minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人;
|
The OECD countries -- the high-income countries -- they were the ones who caused the climate change. |
经合组织成员国,高收入国家 是你们导致了气候的改变 |
'"But we forgive you, because you didn't know it. |
但我们原谅你们,因为你们以前并不知情 |
forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等);
|
But from now on , we count per capita. |
从现在起我们算人均CO2排放量 |
from now on:从今以后;从现在起;
|
From now on we count per capita. |
从现在起我们算人均CO2排放量 |
And everyone is responsible for the per capita emission." |
每个国家都应该对自己的人均CO2排放量负责” |
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
|
This really shows you, we have not seen good economic and health progress anywhere in the world without destroying the climate. |
这里我们清楚地看到,每个国家的 经济发展和健康的改善 都是以破坏环境为代价的 |
And this is really what has to be changed. |
这亟需改变 |
I've been criticized for showing you a too positive image of the world, but I don't think it's like this. |
我给大家展示过于乐观的发展前景,已经招来不少批评 尽管我不太认同 |
criticized:v.批评;挑剔;指责;评论;评价;(criticize的过去式和过去分词) positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
|
The world is quite a messy place. |
这是一个乱糟糟的世界 |
messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的;
|
This we can call Dollar Street. |
现在大家所看到的是“美元街” |
Everyone lives on this street here. |
所有人都住在这条街上 |
What they earn here -- what number they live on -- is how much they earn per day. |
上面的数字 代表居民每天的收入 |
This family earns about one dollar per day. |
这家人每天收入1美元 |
We drive up the street here, we find a family here which earns about two to three dollars a day. |
我们驾车往前走 这家人每天收入2-3美元 |
And we drive away here -- we find the first garden in the street, and they earn 10 to 50 dollars a day. |
继续往前走,看到街上第一个带花园的房子 他们家每天收入10-50美元 |
drive away:赶走
|
And how do they live? |
房子里面是什么样子的呢 |
If we look at the bed here, we can see that they sleep on a rug on the floor. |
先看看卧室 (最穷的一家)睡在地板上 |
rug:n.小地毯;垫子;(盖腿的)厚毯子;v.用厚毯包;
|
This is what poverty line is -- 80 percent of the family income is just to cover the energy needs, the food for the day. |
这就是贫困线以下的生活 80%的收入用于基本生活所需的能量和食物 80%的收入用于基本生活所需的能量和食物 |
poverty line:n.贫困线(政府规定维持最低生活水平所需的收入标准);
|
This is two to five dollars, you have a bed. |
这家人每天收入2-5美元,有床可以睡了 |
And here it's a much nicer bedroom, you can see. |
(带花园的这一家)卧室要好得多 |
I lectured on this for Ikea, and they wanted to see the sofa immediately here. |
我给 宜家 雇员们作报告的时候 他们要求看看沙发 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And this is the sofa, how it will emerge from there. |
这就是(贫困家里的)沙发 |
emerge:v.浮现;显现;暴露;露出真相;
|
And the interesting thing, when you go around here in the photo panorama , you see the family still sitting on the floor there, although there is a sofa. |
这一家有像样的沙发,但我们环顾周围 会看到他们仍然坐在地板上 尽管他们有沙发 |
panorama:n.全景,全貌;全景画;概论;
|
If you watch in the kitchen, you can see that the great difference for women does not come between one to 10 dollar. |
我们再看看厨房 日收入1美元和10美元的家庭,厨房条件差不多 |
come between:分开;干涉;阻碍;在…中间;
|
It comes beyond here, when you really can get good working conditions in the family. |
在日收入超过10美元的家里 厨房的条件才大为改善 |
And if you really want to see the difference, you look at the toilet over here. |
真正的差别其实在厕所 大家看这里 |
This can change, this can change. |
这些是可以改变的 |
These are all pictures and images from Africa, and it can become much better. |
这些图片来自非洲 但是(非洲)可以变得更好 |
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
We can get out of poverty. |
我们可以摆脱贫困 |
My own research has not been in IT or anything like this. |
我以前的研究并不是现在的IT领域 |
I spent 20 years in interviews with African farmers who were on the verge of famine . |
我在非洲工作了20年,终日奔走于饥饿的非洲农民中间 我在非洲工作了20年,终日奔走于饥饿的非洲农民中间 |
interviews:n.面试; v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); on the verge of:濒临于;接近于; famine:n.饥荒;
|
And this is the result of the farmers-needs research. |
这张照片记录了对“农民需求”的一项研究 |
The nice thing here is that you can't see who are the researchers in this picture. |
有趣的是,你在照片上分辨不出 谁是研究人员 |
That's when research functions for societies -- you must really live with the people. |
在贫困地区开展研究的时候 你必须和当地人生活在一起 |
When you're in poverty, everything is about survival. |
如果你在贫困线以下,生存就是你的全部 |
It's about having food. |
必须获得食物 |
And these two young farmers, they are girls now -- because the parents are dead from HIV and AIDS -- they discuss with a trained agronomist . |
照片里的2个年轻的农民,她们是女孩 因为父母都死于艾滋病 她们正和一个农学家交谈 |
agronomist:n.农学家;
|
This is one of the best agronomists in Malawi , Junatambe Kumbira, and he's discussing what sort of cassava they will plant -- the best converter of sunshine to food that man has found. |
他是马拉维最好的农学家之一,(名字是)Jonathan Mkambira 他们正在讨论种植哪一种cassava Cassava是已知的转化太阳能效率最高的植物 |
Malawi:n.马拉维(非洲国家); cassava:n.木薯(等于cassawa); converter:n.[电]变流器,整流器;转化器; sunshine:n.阳光;日光;欢乐;幸福
|
And they are very, very eagerly interested to get advice, and that's to survive in poverty. |
农民非常渴望得到建议 这就是贫困线以下的生活 |
eagerly:adv.急切地;渴望地;热心地;
|
That's one context . |
另一方面 |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
Getting out of poverty. |
(如何)摆脱贫困 |
The women told us one thing. "Get us technology . |
照片中的妇女告诉我们:“我们需要技术支持 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
We hate this mortar , to stand hours and hours. |
我们不想用人工磨,连续几个小时站着 |
mortar:n.迫击炮;臼,研钵;灰浆;vt.用灰泥涂抹,用灰泥结合;
|
Get us a mill so that we can mill our flour, then we will be able to pay for the rest ourselves." |
给我们电动磨来磨面粉吧 我们可以用卖面粉的钱去买其它东西” |
mill:n.磨坊;工厂;磨粉机;面粉厂;v.磨成粉;
|
Technology will bring you out of poverty, but there's a need for a market to get away from poverty. |
技术支持可以帮助人们脱贫 而市场对于人们脱贫也很重要 |
And this woman is very happy now, bringing her products to the market. |
照片里的妇女很开心,她正把农产品运到市场上去卖 |
But she's very thankful for the public investment in schooling so she can count, and won't be cheated when she reaches the market. |
她很感谢政府的教育投资 她学会了算术 这样在市场里不会被骗 |
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
|
She wants her kid to be healthy, so she can go to the market and doesn't have to stay home. |
她也希望孩子健康 这样她可以安心去市场 而不是在家里照顾小孩 |
And she wants the infrastructure -- it is nice with a paved road |
她还希望有基础设施,有一条铺好的道路很重要 |
paved:v.(用砖石)铺(地);(pave的过去分词和过去式)
|
There's also good with credit. |
另外小额贷款也很有用 |
Micro-credits gave her the bicycle, you know. |
小额贷款帮她买了自行车 |
And information will tell her when to go to market with which product. |
她还需要讯息,何时带何种农产品去市场 |
You can do this. |
而这些都是我们能实现的 |
I find my experience from 20 years of Africa is that the seemingly impossible is possible. |
非洲20年的经历让我明白 看上去不可能的事情 其实是可能的 |
seemingly:adv.看来似乎;表面上看来;
|
Africa has not done bad. |
非洲的表现一点也不差 |
In 50 years they've gone from a pre-Medieval situation to a very decent 100-year-ago Europe, with a functioning nation and state. |
50年时间里,非洲从中世纪之前的水平 发展为100年前的欧洲 并建立起国家系统 |
decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
|
I would say that sub-Saharan Africa has done best in the world during the last 50 years. |
我想说撒哈拉以南非洲地区在过去的50年中,是发展速度最快的地区 我想说撒哈拉以南非洲地区在过去的50年中,是发展速度最快的地区 |
Because we don't consider where they came from. |
由于我们没有考虑非洲的出身 |
It's this stupid concept of developing countries which puts us, Argentina and Mozambique together 50 years ago, and says that Mozambique did worse. |
而且错误的使用 “发展中国家”的理念 50年前把阿根廷和莫桑比克归类在一起 然后得出结论说 莫桑比克的发展(比阿根廷)差多了 |
Argentina:n.阿根廷(位于拉丁美洲);
|
We have to know a little more about the world. |
我们应该更深入了解这个世界 |
I have a neighbor who knows 200 types of wine. |
我的邻居了解200种葡萄酒 |
He knows everything. |
他对这些酒了如指掌 |
He knows the name of the grape, the temperature and everything. |
他知道葡萄的名字,酿酒的温度 |
I only know two types of wine -- red and white. |
我就知道2种葡萄酒,红的和白的 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But my neighbor only knows two types of countries -- industrialized and developing. |
但是我邻居就知道2种国家 发达国家和发展中国家 |
And I know 200, I know about the small data. |
我熟悉200个国家,以及他们的历年数据 |
But you can do that. |
这个你也能做到 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But I have to get serious. And how do you get serious? |
后面我要严肃一些,怎么严肃法呢? |
You make a PowerPoint, you know? |
我们需要Power Point |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Homage to the Office package, no? |
向微软 Office 致敬! |
What is this, what is this, what am I telling? |
下面我想讲一下 |
I'm telling you that there are many dimensions of development. |
发展的过程是多维的 |
dimensions:n.规模,大小;
|
Everyone wants your pet thing. |
每个人都有自己的偏好 |
If you are in the corporate sector , you love micro-credit . |
如果你为企业部门工作,你会偏爱小额贷款 |
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; sector:n.部门;扇形,扇区;象限仪;函数尺;vt.把…分成扇形; micro-credit:n.小额贷款;
|
If you are fighting in a non-governmental organization , you love equity between gender . |
如果你在非政府组织工作 你更喜欢讨论男女平等 |
non-governmental:非政府的;非官方的; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值; gender:n.性别;
|
Or if you are a teacher, you'll love UNESCO, and so on. |
如果你是教师,你会首推联合国教科文组织,等等 |
On the global level, we have to have more than our own thing. |
在全球发展的层面,我们的需求其实大同小异 |
We need everything. |
这种需求涉及所有领域 |
All these things are important for development, especially when you just get out of poverty and you should go towards welfare . |
因为它们都是发展的前提 尤其是对于 希望脱贫致富的人们 尤其是对于 希望脱贫致富的人们 |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利;
|
Now, what we need to think about is, what is a goal for development, and what are the means for development? |
我们要仔细考虑一下 哪些是发展的目标 哪些是发展的途径 |
Let me first grade what are the most important means. |
先看看最重要的途径 |
Economic growth to me, as a public-health professor, is the most important thing for development, because it explains 80 percent of survival. |
经济的发展, 对于公共卫生学教授来说这是一切发展的根本 经济的发展, 对于公共卫生学教授来说这是一切发展的根本 因为经济是生存的基础 |
public-health:公共卫生;
|
Governance . To have a government that functions -- that's what brought California out of the misery of 1850. |
其次是政府职能,依托一个有效的政府 加利福尼亚成功的度过了 1850年的艰难时期 |
Governance:n.管理;统治;支配; misery:n.痛苦,悲惨;不幸;苦恼;穷困;
|
It was the government which made law function finally . |
而且政府职能是 有效司法体系的基础 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Education, human resources are important. |
再然后是教育,人力资源非常重要 |
Health is also important, but not that much as a mean. |
健康也很重要 但不是发展必需的方法 |
Environment is important. |
环境也比较重要 |
Human rights is also important, but it just gets one cross. |
还有人权,但作为发展的方法,其分量不重 |
Now what about goals? Where are we going toward? |
再看发展的目标,我们需要往什么方向发展 |
We are not interested in money. |
肯定不是金钱 |
Money is not a goal. |
经济发展是最好的发展途径 但不是发展的目标 |
It's the best mean, but I give it zero as a goal. |
经济发展是最好的发展途径 但不是发展的目标 |
Governance, well it's fun to vote in a little thing, but it's not a goal. |
也许有政府职能,能参加选举固然不错 但这不足以成为发展的目标 |
And going to school, that's not a goal, it's a mean. |
接受教育也不是目标,而是发展的途径 |
Health I give two points. I mean it's nice to be healthy |
健康得2分,因为健康的身体很重要 |
- at my age especially -- you can stand here, you're healthy. |
尤其在我这个年龄还可以站在讲台上 |
And that's good, it gets two plusses . |
所以健康得2分 |
plusses:加号(plus的名词复数);附加量;增益;[数学]正量;正数;有利因素;
|
Environment is very, very crucial . |
环境也非常重要 |
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
|
There's nothing for the grandkid if you don't save up. |
如果现在不保护环境 我们的子孙将一无所有 |
grandkid:n.(外)孙;(外)孙女;
|
But where are the important goals? |
那么什么是最重要的发展目标呢 |
Of course, it's human rights. |
当然是人权了 |
Human rights is the goal, but it's not that strong of a mean for achieving development. |
人权是发展的核心目标 尽管这不是发展的必需途径 |
And culture. Culture is the most important thing, I would say, because that's what brings joy to life. |
还有文化,我想把文化放在最重要的位置 因为文化给我们的生活带来欢乐 |
That's the value of living. |
给生活赋予了意义 |
So the seemingly impossible is possible. |
看上去不可能的事情 是可能实现的 |
Even African countries can achieve this. |
即使是非洲也能做到 |
And I've shown you the shot where the seemingly impossible is possible. |
那些图表已经证明这一点,看上去不可能的事情是可能实现的 |
And remember, please remember my main message, which is this: the seemingly impossible is possible. |
这就是今天我的演讲最重要的内容 看上去不可能的事情 是可能实现的 |
We can have a good world. |
明天的世界会更美好 |
I showed you the shots, I proved it in the PowerPoint, and I think I will convince you also by culture. |
在给你们展示了图表,还有幻灯片之后 我要用最后的内容来说服你们,文化 |
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Bring me my sword! |
拿剑来! |
Sword swallowing is from ancient India. |
吞剑表演 |
swallowing:v.吞下;咽下;做吞咽动作;吞没;侵吞;(swallow的现在分词)
|
It's a cultural expression that for thousands of years has inspired human beings to think beyond the obvious . |
古印度传承了上千年的传统表演 这项表演一直激励着人们 去探索视野之外的世界 |
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; expression:n.表现,表示,表达; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I will now prove to you that the seemingly impossible is possible by taking this piece of steel -- solid steel -- this is the army bayonet from the Swedish Army, 1850, in the last year we had war. |
今天我也要证明给你们看,看上去不可能的事情是可能实现的 我将用这把铁剑,1850年的瑞典军用刺刀 我将用这把铁剑,1850年的瑞典军用刺刀 (那年瑞典打完了最后一场战争) |
bayonet:n.刺刀;卡销;vt.用刺刀刺;vi.用刺刀;劈刺; Swedish:adj.瑞典的;瑞典语的;瑞典人的;n.瑞典语;瑞典人;
|
And it's all solid steel -- you can hear here. |
大家可以听一下 货真价实 |
And I'm going to take this blade of steel, and push it down through my body of blood and flesh , and prove to you that the seemingly impossible is possible. |
接着我会将这把铁剑 穿过我这血肉之躯 从而向你们证明,看上去不可能的事情是可能实现的 |
blade:n.叶片;刀片,刀锋;剑; flesh:n.肉;肉体;v.喂肉给…;发胖;
|
Can I request a moment of absolute silence? |
请大家保持绝对的安静 |
(Applause) |
www.gapminder.org |