返回首页

HadiEldebek_2016S-_艺术家如何为经济做贡献,我们又该如何支持他们_

I come from a family of five brothers, all scientists and engineers. 我家有五位兄弟, 都是科学家和工程师。
A few years ago, I sent them the following email: "Dear brothers, I hope this message finds you well. 几年前, 我给他们发了封邮件: “亲爱的兄弟们, 希望你们能收到这封邮件。
I am emailing to let you know that I'm dropping out of my master's program in engineering to pursue a career as a full-time musician. 我写这封邮件是想告诉你们, 我不想再读工程硕士了, 我要去当一名全职音乐家。
emailing:n.电子信函;vt.给…发电子邮件; engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
All that I ask from you is not to worry about me." 请你们不要担心我。”
Brother number one replied. 第一个兄弟回复了我。
He was encouraging but a bit skeptical . 他鼓励我,但似乎怀疑我的能力。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的;
He said, "I wish you the best of luck. 他说,“祝你好运。
You're going to need it." 你会需要运气的。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
Brother number two was a little bit more skeptical. 第二个兄弟就更怀疑我的能力了。
He said, "Don't do it! 他说,“千万别这么做!
This will be the worst mistake of your life. 这会是你一生中最大的错误。
Find a real career." 找个正经工作吧。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well, the rest of my brothers were so enthusiastic about my decision, they didn't even respond . 剩下的兄弟对于我的决定 是如此的兴奋, 以至于连邮件都没回。
enthusiastic:adj.热情的;热心的;狂热的; respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I know that the skepticism coming from my brothers is out of care and concern for me. 我理解兄弟们的怀疑, 是出于对我的关心。
skepticism:n.怀疑论;怀疑的态度; concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
They were worried. 他们不放心我。
They thought it would be difficult to make it as an artist, that it will be a challenge. 他们认为当一名艺术家会很难, 会是一个巨大的挑战。
And you know what? They were right. 其实呢,他们是对的。
It is such a challenge to be a full-time artist. 做全职艺术家, 的确是一项挑战。
I have so many friends who need to have a second job as a plan B in order to pay for the bills, except that plan B sometimes becomes their plan A. 我身边有许多朋友都需要打第二份工 作为备选方案,才能维持生活开支, 有时候这个备选方案 甚至会成为他们的首选。
And it's not just my friends and I who experience this. 不仅仅是我和我的朋友是这样。
The US Census Bureau states that only 10 percent of art school graduates end up working as full-time artists. 美国人口调查局的数据显示, 只有10%的艺术院校毕业生, 最终能成为全职艺术家。
Census:vt.实施统计调查;n.人口普查,人口调查; Bureau:n.局,处;衣柜;办公桌;
The other 90 percent, they change careers , they work in marketing, sales, education and other fields. 剩下的90%,会改变职业方向, 工作于市场营销、 销售、教育和其他领域。
careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式);
But this is not news, right? 但这很正常,对吧?
We almost expect the artist to be a struggling artist. 我们几乎都会预设, 艺术家的生活会很困苦。
But why should we expect that? 但是我们为什么会这么想呢?
I read an article in the "Huffington Post" 我在《赫芬顿邮报》上读到一篇文章,
saying that four years ago, the European Union began the world's largest ever arts funding initiative . 说的是4年前,欧盟发起了 世界最大的艺术家资助倡议。
European Union:n.欧洲联盟; funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
Creative Europe will give 2.4 billion dollars to over 300,000 artists. “创意欧洲”将拿出24亿美元, 资助超过30万名艺术家。
Creative:adj.创造性的;
In contrast , the US budget for our National Endowment for the Arts, the largest single funder for the arts across the United States, is merely 146 million dollars. 相对的是, 美国国家艺术基金会的预算, 用来资助全美所有艺术家的 最大单笔资助 才区区1.46亿美元。
contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; Endowment:n.捐赠;捐助;捐款;天资; funder:投资者; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) merely:adv.仅仅,只不过;只是;
To put things into perspective , the US budget for the military marching bands alone is almost twice as much as the entire NEA. 作为对比, 美国军事预算, 仅仪仗队这一项, 就是整个国家艺术基金会的2倍。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; bands:n.乐队;法官;
Another striking image comes from Brendan McMahon for the "Huffington Post," 布兰登·麦克马洪在《赫芬顿邮报》 还讲了另一个令人惊讶的事实,
saying that out of the one trillion dollar budget for military and defense-related spending, if only 0.05 percent were allocated to the arts, we would be able to pay for 20 full-time symphony orchestras at 20 million dollars apiece , and give over 80,000 artists an annual salary of 50,000 dollars each. 军事和国防相关的预算支出, 高达1万亿美元, 只要分配其中的 0.05个百分点给艺术, 我们就可以给20个全职交响乐团, 每个支付2000万美元, 给超过8万名艺术家, 支付5万美元的年薪。
trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; allocated:v.拨…(给);划…(归);分配…(给);(allocate的过去式和过去分词) symphony:n.交响乐;谐声,和声; orchestras:n.管弦乐队;乐队演奏处; apiece:adv.每人;每个;各自地; annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的;
If that's only 0.05 percent, imagine what a full one percent could do. 而这仅仅是百分之0.05, 想想如果是百分之一呢?
Now, I know we live in a capitalist society, and profits matter a lot. 我明白,我们生活在资本主义社会, 利润非常重要。
capitalist:n.资本家;资本主义者;adj.资本主义的;资本家的; profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
So let's look at it from a financial angle, shall we? 那让我们从财政角度, 来看一下这个问题。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
The US nonprofit arts industry generates more than 166 billion dollars in economic activity, it employs 5.7 million people and it returns 12.6 billion dollars in tax revenue . 美国的非盈利性艺术产业, 创造了1660亿美元的产值, 提供了570万个就业岗位, 上交了126亿美元 税收收入。
nonprofit:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; generates:[计]生成;发生; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署;
But this is only a financial angle, right? 但这还只是财政角度,对吧?
We all know that the arts is way more than just an economic value. 我们都知道,艺术不仅仅 在于它的经济价值。
The arts brings meaning to life. 艺术给生活带来意义,
It's the spirit of our culture. 是我们文化的灵魂。
It brings people together and it supports creativity and social cohesion . 它将人们聚到一起, 为创新提供帮助, 促进社会团结。
cohesion:n.凝聚;结合;[力]内聚力;
But if the arts contributes this much to our economy , why then do we still invest so little in arts and artists? 那么既然艺术给我们的经济 做出了如此大的贡献, 为什么我们对于 艺术和艺术家的投资如此之少呢?
contributes:[图情]投稿;[经]捐助;[经]捐献(contribute的第三人称单数); economy:n.经济;节约;理财; invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
Why do more than 80 percent of our schools nationwide still experience budget cuts in arts education programs? 为什么全国超过80%的学校, 依旧在削减艺术教育项目的预算呢?
What is it about the value of arts and artists that we still don't understand? 关于艺术和艺术家的价值, 难道我们还有什么不了解的吗?
I believe the system is flawed and far from being fair, and I want to help change that. 我相信制度有缺陷, 也远谈不上公平, 我想做点什么来改变它。
flawed:adj.有缺陷的;有瑕疵的;有裂纹的;
I want to live in a society where artists are more valued and have more cultural and financial support so they can focus on creating arts instead of being forced to drive Ubers or take corporate jobs they'd rather not have. 我想生活在一个 更加重视艺术家的社会里, 他们可以得到更多 文化上、财政上的支持, 这样他们才能专注于艺术创作, 而不是被迫去开优步, 或者去做他们不想做的 朝九晚五的工作。
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的;
There are other sources of income for artists, however. 当然,对艺术家来说, 也会有其他形式的收入来源。
sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
There are private foundations , grants and patrons who give money, except a vast majority of artists don't know about these opportunities. 比如私募基金, 拨款和赞助, 但是大部分的艺术家 都不知道有这些机会存在。
foundations:n.基础;地基;基金会;粉底;(foundations是foundation的复数) grants:n.补助金; v.[专利]授予; patrons:n.赞助人;老顾客(patron的复数);庇护人; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
On one side you have institutions and people with money. 一边是有钱的机构和人,
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
On the other side you have artists seeking funding, but the artists don't know about the people with the money, and the people with the money don't necessarily know about the artists out there. 另一边是缺钱的艺术家, 艺术家们并不认识这些有钱的人, 有钱的人也并不一定了解 穷困的艺术家们。
On the other side:另一面;在另一边; seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
This is why I am very excited to share "Grantpa," 这就是为什么我非常高兴 向大家介绍 “GrantPA”,
an online platform that uses technology to match artists with grants and funding opportunities in a way that is easy, fast and less intimidating . 它是一个线上平台,运用技术 为艺术家寻找拨款和资助的机会, 整个过程方便快捷, 也不会让人感到害怕。
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; intimidating:adj.吓人的;令人胆怯的;v.恐吓;威胁;(intimidate的现在分词)
Grantpa is only one step towards solving an existing problem of funding inequality, but we need to work collectively on multiple fronts to reevaluate how we view the artists in our society. GrantPA 仅仅是 解决目前资助不平的问题的 一小步, 但我们需要在很多方面共同努力, 重新看待艺术家 在我们社会中的地位。
collectively:adv.共同地,全体地; multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; reevaluate:vt.再评估;重新估计;vi.再评估;重新估计;
Do we think of arts as a luxury or a necessity? 我们认为 艺术是奢侈品还是必需品呢?
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的;
Do we understand what goes on in the day-to-day life of an artist, or do we still believe that artists, no matter how struggling they are, are happy simply because they're following their passion ? 我们是否了解艺术家的日常生活, 我们是否仍然相信, 无论艺术家过得多么穷困潦倒, 只要他们激情仍在,就会感到幸福?
day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
In a few years, I plan to send my brothers the following email: "Dear brothers, I hope this message finds you well. 几年之后,我想给我的兄弟们 再发一封邮件: “亲爱的兄弟们, 希望你们能收到这封邮件,
I am emailing to let you know that I am doing great and so are hundreds of thousands of artists who are being valued more culturally and financially and getting enough funding to focus on their crafts and create more art. 我写这封邮件是想告诉你们, 我过得还不错 就跟其他成千上万的艺术家一样, 他们在文化上、财政上 都得到了更多的认同, 也得到了足够多的资助, 可以专心于提高技艺, 创作更多作品。
culturally:adv.从文化角度,文化意义上;在人文学方面; financially:adv.财政上;金融上; crafts:n.工艺品,手艺(craft的复数形式);
I appreciate all of your support. 感谢你们的支持。
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
Couldn't have done it without you." 没有你们的帮助我无法成功。”
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)