|
|
GuillaumeNery_2013X-_两次呼吸间旅行的启示_
|
(Video) Announcer : 10 seconds. |
第一步我们要遭遇的是 |
Announcer:n.[广播]广播员;宣告者;
|
Five, four, three, two, one. |
五,四,三,二,一 |
Official top. |
开始 |
Official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员;
|
Plus one, two, three, four, five six, seven, eight, nine, ten. |
一,二,三,四,五 六,七,八,九,十 |
Guillaume Néry, France. |
来自法国的纪尧姆·纳里 |
Constant weight, 123 meters, three minutes and 25 seconds. |
恒重,123米 3分25秒 |
National record attempt . |
全国纪录挑战 |
attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
|
70 meters. |
70米 |
[123 meters] |
[123米] |
(Applause) |
(欢呼,掌声) |
(Video) Judge: White card. Guillaume Néry! National record! |
(视频)裁判:白卡!纪尧姆·纳里 全国纪录! |
Guillaume Néry: Thank you. |
(掌声)谢谢! |
(Applause) |
|
Thank you very much, thanks for the warm welcome. |
谢谢!谢谢你们! |
That dive you just watched is a journey -- a journey between two breaths. |
大家刚才看到的这次潜水,是一个旅程 一段发生在两次呼吸之间的旅程 |
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动); journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
A journey that takes place between two breaths -- the last one before diving into the water, and the first one, coming back to the surface. |
两次呼吸 一次是入水之前的最后一次呼吸 一次是回到水面之后的第一次呼吸 |
diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
|
That dive is a journey to the very limits of human possibility, a journey into the unknown. |
这次潜水 是一个通向未知的旅程 |
But it's also, and above all, an inner journey, where a number of things happen, physiologically as well as mentally . |
然而,更重要的是这是一个关于自我的旅程 这场旅程中,发生了很多事情 身体的,和心灵的 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; physiologically:adv.生理学方面; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
|
And that's why I'm here today, to share my journey with you and to take you along with me. |
这就是我今天来到TED演讲的原因 我想跟你们分享这次旅程,一起体验这奇妙的经历 |
So, we start with the last breath. |
那么,让我们从最后一次呼吸开始 |
(Breathing in) |
(深吸气) |
(Breathing out) |
(用力呼出) |
As you noticed, that last breath in is slow, deep and intense . |
这最后一次呼吸 |
intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
|
It ends with a special technique called the carp , which allows me to store one to two extra liters of air in my lungs by compressing it. |
在结束的时候我用了一个叫鲤鱼呼吸法的小技巧 这让我能在肺里多存储两公升的空气 |
technique:n.技巧,技术;手法; carp:vi.吹毛求疵;n.鲤鱼; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: liters:n.(计量)公升(容量单位)(liter的复数) compressing:n.压缩;v.压缩,压榨(compress的现在分词形式);
|
When I leave the surface, I have about 10 liters of air in my lungs. |
在离开水面的同时,我尽量压缩这些空气 |
As soon as I leave the surface the first mechanism kicks in: the diving reflex . |
好,现在,我离开了水面 潜水反射(diving-reflex) |
As soon as:一…就; mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; reflex:n.反射;反映;映像;回复;习惯性思维;adj.反射的;反省的;反作用的;优角的;
|
The first thing the diving reflex does is make your heart rate drop. |
潜水反射,首先它会让我们的心率下降 |
My heart beat will drop from about 60-70 per minute to about 30-40 beats per minute in a matter of seconds; almost immediately. |
从60-70次每秒 下降到30-40次每秒 这个变化发生在几秒钟之内 |
Next, the diving reflex causes peripheral vasoconstriction , which means that the blood flow will leave the body's extremities to feed the most important organs : the lungs, the heart and the brain. |
其次,潜水反射会引起外周血管收缩 这是说血液会离开身体末梢 而优先供应我们的主要器官: 肺,心脏,大脑 |
peripheral:adj.外围的;次要的;(神经)末梢区域的;n.外部设备; vasoconstriction:n.[生理]血管收缩; extremities:n.四肢,骨端;末端,极限(extremity复数形式);手足; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
|
This mechanism is innate . |
这个反射机能是身体的本能反应 |
innate:adj.先天的;固有的;与生俱来的;
|
I cannot control it. |
我们无法控制它 |
If you go underwater , even if you've never done it before, you'll experience the exact same effects. |
当你置身水中,即使你从来没有过涉水体验 这个机能也会自动启动 |
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
|
All human beings share this characteristic . |
身为人类,我们天生就有这个本领 |
characteristic:n.特征;特点;品质;adj.典型的;独特的;特有的;
|
And what's extraordinary is that we share this instinct with marine mammals -- all marine mammals: dolphins, whales, sea lions, etc. |
而更奇妙的是 我们和所有的海洋哺乳动物一样都天生拥有这个反射机能 所有的海洋哺乳动物:海豚,鲸,海狮,等等 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的; instinct:n.本能;天性;直觉;adj.充满的; marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数)
|
When they dive deep into the ocean, these mechanisms become activated , but to a greater extent . |
当它们潜游到海洋深处,这个机制就会自动启动 当然,他们的这个功能 |
mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学; activated:v.使活动;激活;使活化;(activate的过去式和过去分词) extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
|
And, of course, it works much better for them. |
比我们人类的远为强大 |
It's absolutely fascinating . |
这绝对是件很神奇的事情 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
|
Right as I leave the surface, nature gives me a push in the right direction, allowing me to descend with confidence . |
那么现在,我已经离开了水面 在这个与生俱来的神奇功能的帮助下 我自信满满地出发 |
descend:vi.下降;下去;下来;遗传;屈尊;vt.下去;沿…向下; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
So as I dive deeper into the blue, the pressure slowly starts to squeeze my lungs. |
当我慢慢沉入深蓝的大海 水压会开始缓慢地碾压我的肺 |
squeeze:v.挤;紧握;勒索;压榨;n.压榨;紧握;拥挤;佣金;
|
And since it's the amount of air in my lungs that makes me float, the farther down I go, the more pressure there is on my lungs, the less air they contain and the easier it is for my body to fall. |
因为是肺里的空气让我能在水中浮起 潜入越深,碾压越厉害 肺里的空气越少,身体下沉就越容易 |
And at one point, around 35 or 40 meters down, |
当达到某一个点的时候,大概是35到40米深的时候 |
I don't even need to swim. |
我已经不需要刻意使力 |
My body is dense and heavy enough to fall into the depths by itself, and I enter what's called the free fall phase . |
我的身体已经有足够的重量和密度 这时我们达到了俗称的自由落体阶段 |
dense:adj.稠密的;浓厚的;愚钝的; free fall:n.自由落体;自由投放;自由下降; phase:n.阶段;时期;月相;(月亮的)盈亏;v.分阶段进行;逐步做;
|
The free fall phase is the best part of the dive. |
这个自由落体阶段是整个下沉过程中最美妙的时刻 |
It's the reason I still dive. |
于是我继续下潜 |
Because it feels like you're being pulled down and you don't need to do anything. |
这时我们感觉到来自最深渊的引力 我们不再需要做任何动作 |
I can go from 35 meters to 123 meters without making a single movement. |
从35米到123米的过程中,我完全放松身体不再有任何的自主运动 |
I let myself be pulled by the depths, and it feels like I'm flying underwater. |
我放任自己被深渊牵引感觉 就像在水中飞翔 |
It's truly an amazing feeling -- an extraordinary feeling of freedom. |
这感觉很奇妙,我想这就是自由的感觉 |
And so I slowly continue sliding to the bottom. |
就这样我缓缓的滑向最深的深处 |
40 meters down, 50 meters down, and between 50 and 60 meters, a second physiological response kicks in. |
40米, 50米, 50米到60米之间,我们迎来了生理上的第二个感受: |
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
My lungs reach residual volume , below which they're not supposed to be compressed , in theory. |
这时候我们的肺里的气体容量已经达到了肺残气量 理论上当肺里的空气低于肺残气量 |
residual:n.剩余;残渣;adj.剩余的;残留的; volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本 supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) compressed:adj.(空气或气体)压缩的; v.(被)压紧; (compress的过去式和过去分词)
|
And this second response is called blood shift , or " pulmonary erection " in French. |
这第二个生理反应叫血移 语中叫“érection pulmonaire” |
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; pulmonary:adj.肺的;有肺的;肺状的; erection:n.勃起;建造;建筑物;直立;
|
I prefer "blood shift." |
我个人愿意说“血移” |
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升;
|
(Laughter) |
|
So blood shift -- how does it work? |
下面我们来说说“血移” |
The capillaries in the lungs become engorged with blood -- which is caused by the suction -- so the lungs can harden and protect the whole chest cavity from being crushed . |
那么“血移”是个什么样的生理机制呢? 当肺里的气压降低后,肺泡壁会自动充血 这个自我保护机制使得肺的两壁变得坚固 能保护整个胸腔不被外部的气体碾压 |
capillaries:n.[解剖]毛细血管;微血管;(capillary的复数形式) engorged:adj.过饱的;塞得满满的;v.狼吞虎咽(engorge的过去式); suction:n.吸;吸力;抽吸; harden:v.硬化;(使声音、面孔等)更严肃;(使)更坚定;使变得无情;n.哈登; cavity:n.腔;洞,凹处; crushed:v.压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的过去分词和过去式)
|
It prevents the two walls of the lungs from collapsing ,from sticking together and caving in. |
防止肺的两壁被挤压到一起 |
collapsing:v.倒塌,坍塌; (collapse的现在分词)
|
Thanks to this phenomenon , which we also share with marine mammals, |
这也是所有海洋哺乳动物都具备的一个机能 |
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
|
I'm able to continue with my dive. |
为此,我能接着潜行 |
60, 70 meters down, I keep falling, faster and faster, because the pressure is crushing my body more and more. |
60米,70米,我一路深潜,越来越快 与此同时,水压也不断地挤压我的身体 |
crushing:adj.惨重的,毁坏性的;v.压碎;压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的现在分词)
|
Below 80 meters, the pressure becomes a lot stronger, and I start to feel it physically. |
从80米开始 水的压力明显增强 我开始感觉得到这个压力 |
I really start to feel the suffocation . |
物理上开始真正地感觉到水压 |
suffocation:n.窒息;闷死;
|
You can see what it looks like -- not pretty at all. |
大家请看视频--物理上大概是这样的,不是特别雅观 |
The diaphragm is completely collapsed , the rib cage is squeezed in, and mentally, there is something going on as well. |
腹部隔膜完全回缩 于此同时,在心理上也有个小诀窍 |
diaphragm:n.隔膜;快门,[摄]光圈;横隔膜;隔板; collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式) rib:n.肋骨; v.嘲笑; squeezed:v.挤压;捏;榨出,挤出,拧出;挤入;(squeeze的过去分词和过去式)
|
You may be thinking, "This doesn't look enjoyable .How do you do it?" |
在这个境况下你也许会说,“这好像有点儿难,怎么办呢” |
enjoyable:adj.快乐的;令人愉快的;
|
If I relied on my earthly reflexes -- what do we do above water when there's a problem? |
依照我们日常的生活经验, 如果我们平时遇到一些困难,我们是怎么做的呢? |
relied:v.依赖;依靠;信赖;信任;(rely的过去分词和过去式) earthly:adj.地球的;尘世的;可能的; reflexes:n.反应;条件反射;扑救反应(守门员);放射(reflex的复数形式);
|
We resist , we go against it.We fight. |
我们会想办法克服困难,我们会对抗,努力,战斗 |
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; go against:不利于;违反;反对;
|
Underwater, that doesn't work. |
然而,在水下,这可有点儿行不通 |
If you try that underwater, you might tear your lungs, spit up blood, develop an edema and you'll have to stop diving for a good amount of time. |
如果在水下我们想对抗水压,我们极有可能会造成肺撕裂 以及吐血,水肿等症状 而不得不在相当长一段时间内停止潜水 |
edema:n.[病理]水肿(等于oedema);瘤腺体;
|
So what you need to do, mentally, is to tell yourself that nature and the elements are stronger than you. |
那么我们该怎么做呢?最好的办法就是告诉自己,顺应自然 在心里承认自然之力强于个人 |
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
|
And so I let the water crush me. |
于是,我任由水将我吞噬 |
I accept the pressure and go with it. |
我接受这水的压力, |
At this point, my body receives this information, and my lungs start relaxing . |
同时,我把这个讯号传达给我的身体 我的肺开始放松 |
relaxing:adj.令人放松的;轻松的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(使)放心;(relax的现在分词)
|
I relinquish all control, and relax completely. |
我完全交出了对身体的控制权,整个人放松 |
relinquish:vt.放弃;放手;让渡;
|
The pressure starts crushing me, and it doesn't feel bad at all. |
于是漫漫水压将我席卷可是我一点儿也不觉得难受 |
I even feel like I'm in a cocoon , protected. |
我好似被包裹在一个蚕茧当中 |
cocoon:n.茧;卵囊;vt.把…紧紧包住;
|
And the dive continues. |
于是我可以继续深潜 |
80, 85 meters down, 100. |
80米,85米,90米 |
100 meters -- the magic number. |
100米,这是个神奇的数字 |
In every sport, it's a magic number. |
在所有的体育运动中,100米都是个神奇的数字 |
For swimmers and athletes and also for us, free divers , it's a number everyone dreams of. |
游泳,田径潜水也是,对于所有的自由潜水员来说 100米是一个梦想 |
swimmers:n.游泳者(swimmer的复数形式);白色有光绒面呢; athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式); divers:adj.不同种类的,各式各样的;
|
Everyone wishes one day to be able to get to 100 meters. |
所有的人都希望有一天可以来到100米的深处 |
And it's a symbolic number for us, because in the 1970s, doctors and physiologists did their math, and predicted that the human body would not be able to go below 100 meters. |
对潜水员来说100米也是个颇有象征意义的数字 因为在20世纪70年代医生们和生理学家曾做过科学计算 他们断言100米是人类的极限,人的身体将不能越过100米的深度 |
symbolic:adj.象征的;符号的;使用符号的; physiologists:n.生理学家,生理学者; predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式)
|
Below that, they said, the human body would implode . |
超过这个深度,人体将崩溃 |
implode:vt.使内爆;vi.向内破裂;内爆;
|
And then the Frenchman, Jacques Mayol -- you all know him as the hero in "The Big Blue" -- came along and dived down to 100 meters. |
然后,有一个法国人雅克·马约尔, 如你们都知道的,他是“深蓝王国”的英雄 他越过了这个极限 |
dived:v.(使)潜水;俯冲;(使)跳水;急剧下降;钻研(dive的过去式和过去分词);
|
He even reached 105 meters. |
然后又到了105米 |
At that time, he was doing "no limits." |
那时候,他用的是无限制潜水方式 |
He'd use weights to descend faster and come back up with a balloon, just like in the movie. |
即下潜时负重,这样可以有更大的下潜速度,而返回的时候借助充气气球 就像你们做录像里看到的那样 |
Today, we go down 200 meters in no limit free diving. |
现在,无限制潜水我们可以达到200米 |
I can do 123 meters by simply using muscle strength. |
而我,挑战的是123米裸潜,不借助外力 |
muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
|
And in a way, it's all thanks to him, because he challenged known facts, and with a sweep of his hand, got rid of the theoretical beliefs and all the mental limits that we like to impose on ourselves. |
这一切一定程度上要归功于他 因为他在挥手之间 打破了我们强加给自己的心理极限 |
theoretical:adj.理论的;理论上的;假设的;推理的; impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于;
|
He showed us that the human body has an infinite ability to adapt . |
他向我们展示了,我们的身体有适应无限可能的潜力 |
infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应;
|
So I carry on with my dive. |
我继续往下坠落 |
105, 110, 115. |
|
The bottom is getting closer. |
逐渐接近底部 |
120, 123 meters. |
|
I'm at the bottom. |
我终于到达终点 |
And now, I'd like to ask you to join me and put yourself in my place. |
这里,我想邀请大家跟我一起体验 |
Close your eyes. |
请闭上眼睛 |
Imagine you get to 123 meters. |
想象您到达123米的海洋深处 |
The surface is far, far away. |
水面是那么那么那么遥远 |
You're alone. |
您孤身一人 |
There's hardly any light. |
四周几乎没有任何光亮 |
hardly any:几乎没有;
|
It's cold -- freezing cold. |
寒冷 像冰川那样的寒冷 |
The pressure is crushing you completely -- 13 times stronger than on the surface. |
水压几乎要将你碾碎 (毕竟这里水的压力是海洋表面的13倍) |
And I know what you're thinking: "This is horrible . |
也许你第一念头会说 “这是什么鬼地方?!” |
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
|
What the hell am I doing here? |
“我一定是疯了” |
He's insane ." |
“为什么跑到这里来?!“ |
insane:adj.疯狂的;精神病的;极愚蠢的;
|
But no. |
非也! |
That's not what I think when I'm down there. |
我当时完全不是这么想的 |
When I'm at the bottom, I feel good. |
实际上,当我在海底最深处我感觉很好 |
I get this extraordinary feeling of well-being . |
那是一种非同寻常的幸福感 |
well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
|
Maybe it's because I've completely released all tensions and let myself go. |
这也许是因为我早就完全摒弃了所有的紧张 全把自己交给了海洋 |
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) tensions:张力;紧张;
|
I feel great, without the need to breathe. |
总之我感觉十分惬意一点不觉得自己需要呼吸 |
Although, you'd agree, I should be worried. |
不过,你还是要承认还是有一点点需要担心的 |
I feel like a tiny dot, a little drop of water, floating in the middle of the ocean. |
我感觉自己是这么渺小 就像汪洋大海中的一滴水 |
And each time, I picture the same image. |
每次,我的脑海里总是浮现出这幅图像 |
[The Pale Blue Dot] |
The Pale Blue Dot,意思是蓝色的小圆点儿 |
It's that small dot the arrow is pointing to. |
大家看到的箭头指向的,这个小小的蓝色的点 |
Do you know what it is? |
你们知道这是啥吗? |
It's planet Earth. |
这就是地球 |
Planet Earth, photographed by the Voyager probe , from 4 billion kilometers away. |
这是旅行者号从40亿公里以外的太空拍摄的地球 从那里看,地球,我们的家 |
Voyager:n.航海者,航行者; probe:n.探针;调查;vi.调查;探测;vt.探查;用探针探测;
|
And it shows that our home is that small dot over there, floating in the middle of nothing. |
就是这样一个蓝色的点 漂浮在虚空当中 |
That's how I feel when I'm at the bottom, at 123 meters. |
这有点儿像我在123米的海洋深处感受到的 |
I feel like a small dot, a speck of dust, stardust , floating in the middle of the cosmos , in the middle of nothing, in the immensity of space. |
我感觉自己就是一个小小的点 如一粒尘埃或一颗星辰 漂浮在茫茫宇宙当中漂浮在虚无当中 漂浮在无穷当中 |
speck:n.灰尘;污点;小颗粒;vt.使有斑点; stardust:n.星团;宇宙尘;幻觉; cosmos:n.宇宙;和谐;秩序;大波斯菊; immensity:n.巨大;无限;广大;
|
It's a fascinating sensation , because when I look up, down, left, right, in front, behind, |
这真是一种令人着迷的感觉 不管我看向任何一个方向:上,下,左,右,前,后 |
sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
|
I see the same thing: the infinite deep blue. |
都是无边的蓝,那么深邃 |
Nowhere else on Earth you can experience this -- looking all around you, and seeing the same thing. |
你在陆地上找不到任何一个地方能给你这种感受 —— 环顾四周,所见相同 |
Nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
|
It's extraordinary. |
这是如此奇妙 |
And at that moment, |
与此同时 |
I still get that feeling each time, building up inside of me -- the feeling of humility . |
我又清晰地感觉到与生俱来的 对自然的敬畏 |
humility:n.谦卑,谦逊;
|
Looking at this picture, I feel very humble -- just like when I'm all the way down at the bottom -- because I'm nothing, |
每次看到这个图片,我都觉得十分卑微 正如我当时在海底深处 觉得自己如此渺小 |
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭;
|
I'm a little speck of nothingness lost in all of time and space. |
我就是一颗尘埃遗失在时空的无涯里 |
nothingness:n.虚无,不存在;空白;不存在的状态;
|
And it still is absolutely fascinating. |
然而这一切是那么迷幻 |
I decide to go back to the surface, because this is not where I belong. |
于是我决定返回水面因为这不是属于我的地方 |
I belong up there, on the surface. |
我毕竟属于那儿,上面的世界 |
So I start heading back up. |
我开始上升 |
I get something of a shock at the very moment when I decide to go up. |
从决定返回的那一刻开始 我就遭遇一个很大的冲击 |
First, because it takes a huge effort to tear yourself away from the bottom. |
首先,我必须十分费劲 |
It pulled you down on the way in, and will do the same on the way up. |
因为那将我拽入深渊的巨大引力 在我试图上浮时同样存在 |
You have to swim twice as hard. |
所以我必须双倍奋力 |
Then, I'm hit with another phenomenon known as narcosis . |
其次,我会遭遇到另一种生理现象:氮麻醉 |
narcosis:n.麻醉;昏迷状态;
|
I don't know if you've heard of that. |
你们也许听说过它 |
It's called nitrogen narcosis. |
我们称之为深渊的狂喜 |
nitrogen:n.氮;氮气;
|
It's something that happens to scuba divers,but it can happen to free divers. |
这对水肺潜水者比较常见自由潜水者也会时常遭遇 |
scuba:n.水肺;水中呼吸器;
|
It's caused by nitrogen dissolving in the blood, which causes confusion between the conscious and unconscious mind. |
这是由溶解在血液里的氮引起的 它使得人在深度潜水时 有点儿意识混乱 |
dissolving:adj.消溶的;毁灭性的;v.使溶解(dissolve的现在分词); confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘; unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的;
|
A flurry of thoughts goes spinning through your head. |
你会脑海里充斥着各种念头 |
flurry:n.慌张;疾风;飓风;骚动;vt.使恐慌;使激动;vi.慌张;激动; spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词)
|
You can't control them, and you shouldn't try to -- you have to let it happen. |
完全不受大脑控制,事实上我们也不应该试图控制它 不妨听之任之 |
The more you try to control it, the harder it is to manage. |
任其驰骋,因为你越是努力控制它,它就越是难以驾驭 |
Then, a third thing happens:the desire to breathe. |
第三个难题是:我特别想呼吸 |
I'm not a fish, I'm a human being, and the desire to breathe reminds me of that fact. |
毕竟我可不是鱼 我是需要呼吸的人类想要呼吸的欲望特别提醒我这个事实 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
|
Around 60, 70 meters, you start to feel the need to breathe. |
所以回到60到70米的时候 这个欲望变得特别清晰 |
And with everything else that's going on, you can very easily lose your ground and start to panic . |
再加上另外的两个因素 这时候你特别容易完全乱了阵脚 堕入恐惧的陷阱 |
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措;
|
When that happens, you think, "Where's the surface? |
这时候你也许满脑子的念头就是 |
I want to go up. I want to breathe now." |
“水面在哪里?我要呼吸!立刻,马上!” |
You should not do that. |
可千万别这样! |
Never look up to the surface -- not with your eyes, or your mind. |
不要试图看向水面, 不光不要看,连想都不要想! |
look up to:尊敬;
|
You should never picture yourself up there. |
不要试图构建回到水面的画面 |
You have to stay in the present. |
一定要把注意力集中在当前 |
I look at the rope right in front of me, leading me back to the surface. |
我保持着直视前方,那根绳子,绳子就是把我拉回水面的纽带 |
And I focus on that, on the present moment. |
我心无杂念,唯有那根绳子 |
Because if I think about the surface, I panic. |
因为如果我老想着水面我会陷入恐慌 |
And if I panic, it's over. |
一旦我恐慌,一切就完蛋 |
Time goes faster this way. |
这样,时间好像突然间快起来了 |
And at 30 meters: deliverance . |
到了30米处,终于,解放啦 |
deliverance:n.释放,解救;救助;判决;
|
I'm not alone any more. |
我不再是一个人 |
The safety divers, my guardian angels, join me. |
我的安全队友,我的守护天使在这里迎接我 |
guardian:n.[法]监护人,保护人;守护者;adj.守护的;
|
They leave the surface, we meet at 30 meters, and they escort me for the final few meters, where potential problems could arise . |
他们专门下来在30米处与我汇合 然后他们会一路护送我直到最后一米 最后这一段也许有些潜在的问题会发生 |
escort:n.陪同;护航舰;护卫队;护送者;v.护送;陪同;为…护航; potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; arise:v.出现;发生;产生;起身;
|
Every time I see them, I think to myself, "It's thanks to you." |
每次我见到他们 我都会想:”多亏有你们!” |
It's thanks to them, my team, that I'm here. |
因为有他们,因为我的团队我才可能完成这一切 |
It brings back the sense of humility. |
又一次我由衷地觉得自己的卑微 |
Without my team, without all the people around me, the adventure into the deep would be impossible. |
没有他们,没有我的团队没有所有这些支持我的人们 我不可能完成深渊探险 |
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
|
A journey into the deep is above all a group effort. |
这次深渊探险其实是我们整个团队共同完成的 |
So I'm happy to finish my journey with them, because I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. |
和他们一起完成最后一段旅程我很幸福 因为有他们我才可能走这么远 |
20 meters, 10 meters, my lungs slowly return to their normal volume. |
20米,10米 我的肺又慢慢的恢复了正常容量 |
Buoyancy pushes me up to the surface. |
浮力又回来了一直陪我回到水面 |
Buoyancy:n.浮力;轻快;轻松的心情;(股票)保持高价或回升;
|
Five meters below the surface, I start to breathe out , so that as soon as I get to the surface all I do is breathe in. |
离水面5米处我开始呼气 这样一旦回到水面我就立刻可以吸气 |
breathe out:呼出;
|
And so I arrive at the surface. |
当我回到水面 |
(Breathing in) |
(深深吸气) |
Air floods into my lungs. |
新鲜空气终于又充斥了我的肺 |
It's like being born again, a relief . |
这是一次新生 |
relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
|
It feels good. |
这感觉,真好! |
Though the journey was extraordinary, |
旅程当然很不一般 |
I do need to feel those small oxygen molecules fueling my body. |
可我也确实需要感受到这些小小的氧气分子 |
molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数);
|
It's an extraordinary sensation, but at the same time it's traumatizing . |
这是一种奇妙的感觉 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; traumatizing:vt.使…受损伤;使…受精神创伤;
|
It's a shock to the system, as you can you imagine. |
这在感官上是一次冲击 |
I go from complete darkness to the light of day, from the near-silence of the depths to the commotion up top. |
请想象一下:我穿过无边的黑暗终于看到光明 我穿过寂静的深渊回到尘嚣 |
commotion:n.骚动;暴乱;
|
In terms of touch, I go from the soft, velvety feeling of the water, to air rubbing across my face. |
而在触觉上,我从海水柔软的怀抱中出来 粗粝的海风拍打我的脸 |
velvety:adj.天鹅绒般柔软的;醇和的,可口的; rubbing:v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互摩擦;摩擦;(rub的现在分词)
|
In terms of smell, there is air rushing into my lungs. |
在味觉和嗅觉上 海风钻进我的肺 |
And in return, my lungs open up. |
于是我的肺重新打开 |
They were completely squashed just 90 seconds ago, and now, they've opened up again. |
而在90秒之前,它们还被海水无情碾压 现在终于可以尽情张开 |
squashed:adj.压扁的;压碎的;v.压扁(squash的过去式);
|
So all of this affects quite a lot of things. |
所有这一切都要慢慢恢复秩序 |
I need a few seconds to come back, and to feel "all there" again. |
我需要几秒钟才能完全缓过神来 回到现实当中 |
But that needs to happen quickly,because the judges are there to verify my performance; |
然而,这一切需要恢复得特别快因为裁判就在那儿 |
verify:vt.核实;查证;
|
I need to show them I'm in perfect physical condition. |
我需要呈现一个很好的身体状态 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
|
You saw in the video, I was doing a so-called exit protocol . |
如你们中视频中看到的:我需要走一个所谓的结束流程 |
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的; protocol:n.协议;草案;礼仪;vt.拟定;vi.拟定;
|
Once at the surface, I have 15 seconds to take off my nose clip , give this signal and say (English) "I am OK." |
完全回到水面以后我有15秒的时间取下鼻封 给出信号说“I*m OK” |
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
|
Plus, you need to be bilingual . |
所以你看你们还要求你会双语 |
bilingual:adj.双语的;n.通两种语言的人;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
On top of everything -- that's not very nice. |
想想看,在我刚裸潜了123米后让我说双语, 还真是不太善良 (笑) |
Once the protocol is completed, the judges show me a white card, and that's when the joy starts. |
当结束流程完成以后裁判发给我一张白卡 欢庆的时刻到啦! |
I can finally celebrate what has just happened. |
我终于可以为我刚才的经历庆祝 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
So, the journey I've just described to you is a more extreme version of free diving. |
刚才我向大家讲述的经历 是一次有点极端的自由潜水经历 |
described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
|
Luckily, it's far from just that. |
正常的自由潜水不是这样的远远不会是这样 |
For the past few years, |
三年以来, |
I've been trying to show another side of free diving, because the media mainly talks about competitions and records. |
我都一直尝试想体验潜水的另一面 因为每次媒体提到自由潜水 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地; competitions:n.比赛,[生态]竞争(competition的复数形式);
|
But free diving is more than just that. |
总是离不开竞技和纪录 |
It's about being at ease in the water. |
自由潜水,是在水下完全放松 |
It's extremely beautiful, very poetic and artistic . |
是一种极致的美丽诗意,和艺术 |
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; poetic:adj.诗的,诗歌的;诗意的;诗人的;n.诗学,诗论; artistic:adj.艺术的;风雅的;有美感的;
|
So my wife and I decided to film it and try to show another side of it, mostly to make people want to go into the water. |
于是我和我太太决定拍摄全过程 试图从另一个侧面来展现自由潜水 主要是想激起我们大家走入水中的兴趣 |
Let me show you some images to finish my story. |
接下来我想给大家看一些图片 |
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
It's a mix of beautiful underwater photos. |
这是一些水下的照片 |
(Music) |
(音乐) |
I'd like you to know that if one day you try to stop breathing, you'll realize that when you stop breathing, you stop thinking, too. |
对了,还想告诉大家如果有一天你想尝试停止呼吸 你会发现停止呼吸 就是同时也停止思想 |
It calms your mind. |
心灵完全放空 |
Today, in the 21st century, we're under so much pressure. |
在21世纪的今天我们总是感到很大的压力 |
Our minds are overworked , we think at a million miles an hour, we're always stressed. |
我们经常用脑过度,恨不能一小时想一万件事情 总是处于焦虑当中 |
overworked:adj.工作过多的; v.(使)过度劳累,过分努力; (overwork的过去分词和过去式)
|
Being able to free dive lets you, just for a moment, relax your mind. |
如果能去潜水的话,至少在这个过程当中 能帮助放松我们的身心 |
Holding your breath underwater means giving yourself the chance to experience weightlessness . |
屏住呼吸潜入水中 让我们有机会体验到失重的感觉 |
weightlessness:n.失重;无重状态;
|
It means being underwater, floating, with your body completely relaxed , letting go of all your tensions. |
漂浮在水中 完全放松你的身体 |
relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式)
|
This is our plight in the 21st century: our backs hurt, our necks hurt, everything hurts, because we're stressed and tense all the time. |
这是21世纪的新世纪病: 我们背痛,颈椎痛,到处都痛 因为我们总是处于紧张和焦虑当中 |
plight:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定;
|
But when you're in the water, you let yourself float, as if you were in space. |
如果您试试潜入水中让自己完全漂浮 就像在太空中一样 |
You let yourself go completely. |
完全放松自己的身体 |
It's an extraordinary feeling. |
你会有一种奇妙的感觉 |
You can finally get in touch with your body, mind and spirit. |
最终你会发现你可以和自己的身体,心灵和灵魂都建立联系 |
in touch with:同…有联系,和…有接触;
|
Everything feels better, all at once. |
身心灵都得到平静 |
Learning how to free dive is also about learning to breathe correctly. |
学习潜水,其实也是学习更好地呼吸 |
We breathe with our first breath at birth, up until our last one. |
我们一直都在呼吸从我们出生的第一次呼吸开始 |
Breathing gives rhythm to our lives. |
呼吸就是我们生命的节奏 |
rhythm:n.节奏;韵律;
|
Learning how to breathe better is learning how to live better. |
学习更好地呼吸就是学习更好地生活 |
Holding your breath in the sea, not necessarily at 100 meters, but maybe at two or three, putting on your goggles , a pair of flippers , means you can go see another world, another universe, completely magical. |
潜水并不一定要去到100米的深处 下潜两米,三米, 戴上护目镜穿上一双蛙鞋 你会看到另一个世界 另一个宇宙,它是如此神奇 |
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; goggles:n.护目镜;风镜;游泳镜;v.瞪大眼睛看;(goggle的第三人称单数和复数) flippers:n.脚蹼(flipper的复数);蛙鞋;
|
You can see little fish, seaweed , the flora and fauna , you can watch it all discreetly , sliding underwater, looking around, and coming back to the surface, leaving no trace . |
你会看到数不清的鱼看到海藻 你可以随意地观察这一切 在水中漫步,信步浏览然后再回到水面 大海没有我的踪迹但我曾经来过 |
seaweed:n.海藻,海草; flora:n.植物区系;植物群; fauna:n.动物群;[动]动物区系; discreetly:adv.谨慎地;小心地; trace:追溯,追踪
|
It's an amazing feeling to become one with nature like that. |
这般和自然融为一体是如此奇妙 |
And if I may say one more thing, holding your breath, being in the water, finding this underwater world -- it's all about connecting with yourself. |
如果我必须要说点什么来结束今天的演讲: 去潜水,来到海底,置身于水的世界 这是一次重新认识自我的过程 |
You heard me talk a lot about the body's memory that dates back millions of years, to our marine origins . |
正如我刚才所看到的 这可以追溯到数百万年前我们的祖先在海洋生活时的远古记忆 |
origins:n.起源; (origin的复数)
|
The day you get back into the water, when you hold your breath for a few seconds, you will reconnect with those origins. |
一旦你来到到海洋深处 你潜入几秒钟 你就感觉到自己跟这些远古记忆相联结 |
reconnect:v.使再接合;
|
And I guarantee it's absolute magic. |
我可以向您保证 这绝对绝对是很神奇的体验 |
guarantee:n.保证;担保;保证人;保证书;抵押品;v.保证;担保;
|
I encourage you to try it out. |
请一定要去试试 |
Thank you. |
谢谢! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |