返回首页

GregoryStock_2003-_进步是人类的天性_

The future of life, and where the unraveling of our biology -- and bring up the lights a little bit. I don't have any slides. 未来的生活,以及目前生物学发展方向的—— 请把灯调亮一点,我不打算使用幻灯片。
unraveling:v.解开,拆散,散开;(unravel的现在分词) biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
I'm just going to talk -- about where that's likely to carry us. 只是单纯的谈论—— 生物学的发展可能把我们引向何方。
And you know, I saw all the visons of the first couple of sessions . 在看过前面这些演讲 对于未来的构想之后。
sessions:n.会议;会期(session的复数);
It almost made me feel a little bit guilty about having an uplifting talk about the future. 我甚至有一点负罪感,因为你们即将听到的 是对于未来的乐观估计。
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的; uplifting:adj.令人振奋的;使人开心的;
It felt wrong to do that in some way. 这样做感觉好像有点怪。
And yet , I don't really think it is because when it comes down to it, it's this larger trajectory that is really what is going to remain -- what people in the future are going to remember about this period. 然而,实际上我并不这样想, 因为尘埃落定之后,争论会烟消云散 只有重大的轨迹才会真正存留 成为未来人们对这段时期的唯一记忆。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道;
I want to talk to you a little bit about why the visions of Jeremy Rivkins, who would like to ban these sorts of technologies , or of the Bill Joys who would like to relinquish them, are actually, to follow those paths would be such a tragedy for us. 我想对你们谈论的事情包括 为什么Jeremy Rivkins 禁止这些技术的理论 或者Bill Joys关于放弃这些技术的想法 实际上对我们是一场悲剧。
visions:n.愿景; v.想像; ban:v.下令禁止;查禁;n.禁令; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); relinquish:vt.放弃;放手;让渡; tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
I'm focusing on biology, the biological sciences. 我正在关注的是生物学, 关于生命的科学。
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品;
The reason I'm doing that is because those are going to be the areas that are the most significant to us. 我这样做是因为将对我们产生重大意义的领域 正集中在生物学之中。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
The reason for that is really very simple. 理由很简单,
It's because we're flesh and blood . 因为我们都是血肉之躯。
flesh and blood:adj.血肉般的;
We're biological creatures . 我们就是生命。
creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
And what we can do with our biology is going to shape our future and that of our children and that of their children -- whether we gain control over aging, 因此生物学的进展 将塑造我们的未来 以及我们子子孙孙的未来—— 我们能否控制衰老?
whether we learn to protect ourselves from Alzheimer's, and heart disease , and cancer . 是否能保护自己不受阿尔兹海默症的侵扰? 或者远离心血管疾病以及癌症?
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
I think that Shakespeare really put it very nicely . 我认为莎士比亚说得很好,
Shakespeare:n.莎士比亚(英国剧作家); nicely:adv.细致地;有吸引力;令人满意;令人愉快;adj.强健的;
And I'm actually going to use his words in the same order that he did. 所以我就原封不动的引用一下。
(Laughter) (笑)
He said, "And so from hour to hour we ripe and ripe. 他说:“每时每刻, 我们在成长。
ripe:adj.成熟的;口味浓郁的;醇美可口的;强烈的;
And then from hour to hour we rot and rot. 每时每刻,我们在衰老。
And thereby hangs a tale." 我们的故事就在这每时每刻之间。
thereby:adv.从而,因此;在那附近;在那方面;
Life is short, you know. 瞧,人生是短暂的。
And we need to think about planning a little bit. 所以我们需要一点点规划。
We're all going to eventually , even in the developed world, have to lose everything that we love. 即使在最发达的国家,我们最终也将 失去所有自己珍爱的东西。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
When you're beginning to rot a little bit, all of the videos crammed into your head, all of the extensions that extend your various powers, are going to being to seem a little secondary . 当我们开始衰老, 各种回忆就开始将脑袋塞得满满当当, 你的权利、地位、财富等等,曾经是你生命力的延伸, 那时看来将变得无足轻重。
crammed:adj.塞满的;挤满的;v.把…塞进;挤满;塞满;(cram的过去分词和过去式) extensions:n.扩大;延伸;扩建部分;增建部分;(extension的复数) extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸; secondary:adj.第二的;中等的;次要的;中级的;n.副手;代理人;
And you know, I'm getting a little bit gray, so is Ray Kurzweil, so is Eric Drexler. 你看,我变得有点儿悲观了,就像Ray Kurzweil(计算机科学家,认为人工智能终会超越人类智能), 或者Eric Drexler(纳米技术先驱,预言失去控制的自我复制机器将耗尽地球资源,带来世界末日)。
This is where it's really central to our lives. 这才是我们生命的关键。
Now I know there's been a whole lot of hype about our power to control biology. 我知道,现在已经有太多的炒作 针对于我们控制生命的能力。
hype:n.大肆宣传;皮下注射;vt.大肆宣传;使…兴奋;
You just have to look at the Human Genome Project. 以人类基因组计划为例。
Genome:n.基因组;染色体组;
It wasn't two years ago that everybody was talking about we've found the Holy Grail of biology. 就在不到两年前 每个人都在谈论着 我们找到了生物学的圣杯。
Holy Grail:na.圣杯;
We're deciphering the code of codes. 我们破译了生命的密码。
deciphering:n.[通信]解密;v.破译(decipher的现在分词);解释;辨认;
We're reading the book of life. 我们正在阅读生命之书。
It's a little bit reminiscent of 1969 when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. 这是人不禁想起1969年尼尔·阿姆斯特朗在月球行走时的情形。
reminiscent:adj.怀旧的,回忆往事的;耽于回想的;n.回忆录作者;回忆者; Armstrong:n.阿姆斯特朗(美国宇航员,登月第一人);
And everybody was about to race out toward the stars. 当时每个人都认为我们即将奔向浩瀚星空。
was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
And we've all seen 2001: A Space Odyssey . 我们也都看过2001太空漫游。
Odyssey:n.奥德赛(古希腊史诗);
You know it's 2003. And there is no HAL. 然而现在已经是2003年了,HAL仍不见踪影。
And there no odyssey to our own moon, much less the moons of Jupiter . 我们还不能在自己的卫星上漫游,更别说去木星的卫星了。
Jupiter:n.[天]木星;朱庇特(罗马神话中的宙斯神);
And we're still picking up pieces of the Challenger. 我们至今还在收拾挑战者号的残骸
So it's not surprising that some people would wonder whether maybe 30 or 40 years from now, we'll look back at this instant in time. 所以,我不会感到奇怪有些人会疑惑 30或40年后 我们再回首此刻
instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas";
And all of the sort of talk about the Human Genome Project, and what all this is going to mean to us. 我们讨论的的这一切 关于人类基因组计划的争论 到底对我们意味着什么
Well it will really mean precious little. 它的意义是否微乎其微
precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的;
And I just want to say that that is absolutely not going to be the case. 我想说的是,这种事情不会发生。
absolutely not:绝对不会;绝对不是;绝对不行;
Because when we talk about our genetics and our biology, and modifying and altering and adjusting these things, we're talking about changing ourselves. 因为当我们谈论遗传学和生物学, 谈论基因修饰、改造和调整时, 我们谈论的实际是改造我们自己。
genetics:n.遗传学; modifying:修饰; altering:n.变更;v.变更(alter的现在分词); adjusting:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯;(adjust的现在分词)
And this is very critical stuff . 这就非同小可了。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
If you have any doubts about how technology affects our lives, you just have to go to any major city. 关于科技对我们生活的影响,如果你有任何疑问, 就随便去个大城市看看吧。
This is not the stomping ground of our Pleisticine ancestors. 这已经不是我们的爪哇人祖先 所熟悉的故土了。
stomping ground:晃动大地;
What's happening is we're taking this technology, it's becoming more precise , more potent , and we're turning it back upon ourselves. 当我们谈论这些科技, 科技本身正愈加精细和强大, 并正在对我们自己造成影响。
precise:adj.准确的;确切的;精确的;明确的; potent:adj.有效的;强有力的,有权势的;有说服力的;
Before it's all done we are going to alter ourselves every bit as much as we have changed the world around us. 不久之后, 我们对自身的改造, 就将像对周围世界的改造一样巨大。
It's going to happen a lot sooner than people imagine. 所有这些,都会在人们所预想的 时间之前发生。
On the way there it's going to completely revolutionize medicine and health care . That's obvious . 随之而来的 是医药和卫生的革命性变化。这显而易见。
revolutionize:vt.发动革命;彻底改革;宣传革命;vi.革命化;从事革命; health care:n.卫生保健; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
It's going to change the way we have children. 这将会改变我们生孩子的方式。
It's going to change the way we manage and alter our emotions . 改变我们控制 和调整自我情绪的途径。
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
It's going to probably change the human lifespan . 很有可能还会改变人类寿命。
lifespan:n.寿命;预期生命期限;预期使用期限;
It will really make us question what it is to be a human being. 所有这些都促使我们思考, 到底什么才是人类的本质。
The larger context of this is that are two unprecedented revolutions that are going on today. 这个问题的背景, 是现在正在发生的、史无前例的两种变革。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的; revolutions:n.革命,转数(revolution的复数形式);
The first of them is the obvious one, the silicon revolution. 第一种,很明显, 是计算机革命。
silicon:n.[化学]硅;硅元素;
Which you are are very very familiar with. 这我们都很熟悉。
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
It's changing our lives in so many ways, and it will continue to do that. 计算机在太多方面改变了我们的生活, 并将继续给我们带来更多改变。
What the essence of that is is that we're taking the sand at our feet, the inert silicon at our feet, and we're breathing a level of complexity into it that rivals that of life itself. 这种变化的本质, 是我们取出脚下的泥土,无生命的硅, 赋予它一定的复杂性。 这种复杂性可以与生命相当,
essence:n.本质;实质;精髓;香精; inert:adj.[化学]惰性的;呆滞的;迟缓的;无效的; complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 rivals:n.对手(rival的复数);[劳经]竞争者;v.竞争(rival的三单形式);
And may even surpass it. 甚至可能超过生命。
surpass:v.超越;胜过,优于;非…所能办到或理解;
As an outgrowth of that, as a child of that revolution, is the revolution in biology. 上述计算机革命的结果,是作为计算机革命之子的 生物学的变革。
outgrowth:n.结果;副产物;自然的发展;分枝;
The genomics revolution, proteomics , metabolomics, all of these "omics" 基因组学革命, 蛋白质组学,代谢组学,所有这些字眼
genomics:n.基因组学;基因体学; proteomics:蛋白质组学;蛋白质体学;蛋白组学
that sound so terrific on grants and on business plans. 在经费申请和商业计划中显得如此漂亮。
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的; grants:n.补助金; v.[专利]授予; on business:为了公事,出差;
What we're doing is we are seizing control of our evolutionary future. 我们正在做的, 是努力获取自身未来进化的控制权。
evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的;
I mean we're essentially using technology to just jam evolution into fast forward. 归根到底,是在用科技 将进化速率调快。
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
It's not at all clear where it's going to take us. 这种改变的结果还不清晰。
not at all:毫无;一点也不;不用谢;
But in five to ten years we're going to start see some very profound changes. 但是在5到10年之内,我们会看到 许多深刻变化。
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
The most immediate changes that we'll see are things like in medicine. 最容易被观察到的, 是医药等的变化。
There is going to be a big shift towards preventative medicine as we start to be able to identify all of the risk factors that we have as individuals . 预防医药将会占越来越大的比例, 因为我们开始能够 确认个体的患病因素。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; preventative:n.预防法;预防物;adj.预防性的;防止的; identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
But who is going to pay for all this? 但是,谁在为此买单?
And how are we going to understand all this complex information? 我们如何理解这些繁杂的信息?
That is going to be the IT challenge of the next generation, is communicating all this information. 这将是下一代面临的巨大挑战—— 信息的交流。
There's pharmacogenomics -- a combination of pharmacology and genetics -- tailoring drugs to our individual constitutions that Juan talked about a little bit earlier. 这就是医药遗传学——医药学与 遗传学的结合—— 针对个体体质的医药, Juan在前面已经有所涉及。
pharmacogenomics:药物基因组学;药物基因体学;药物基因学 combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合; pharmacology:n.药物学,药理学; constitutions:构成;
That's going to have amazing impacts . 这种变化的影响是巨大的。
impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
And it's going to be used for diet as well, and nutritional supplements and such. 个体差异化还会被应用在饮食上, 以及营养摄入等领域。
nutritional:adj.营养的;滋养的; supplements:n.补充品;增补物;[昆]补脉(supplement的复数);
But it's going to have a big impact because we're going to have niche drugs. 这将会产生巨大影响, 因为我们将会拥有针对性药品,
niche:n.壁龛; vt.放入壁龛;
And we aren't going to be able to support the kinds of expenses that we have to create blockbuster drugs today. 以后,我们也不会再承担 用以制作畅销药品的种种费用。
expenses:n.费用;价钱;开销;开支;花费;(expense的复数) blockbuster:n.轰动;巨型炸弹;一鸣惊人者;
The approval process is going to fall apart actually. 药品的批准过程将会瓦解。
approval:n.批准;认可;赞成; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; fall apart:崩溃;土崩瓦解;破碎;
It's too slow. 因为它太慢。
It's too risk-averse , and it is really not suited for the future that we're moving into. 过于惧怕风险, 实在不适合我们的未来, 我们即将进入的未来。
risk-averse:adj.风险规避的;不愿承担风险的;
Another thing is we're just going to have to deal with this knowledge. 另外,对于新的生物学知识,我们要学会如何处理。
It's really wonderful when we hear, "Oh, 99.9 percent of the letters in the code are the same. 有些论断让我们倾心不已: “哇!我们共享着生命密码的99.9%。
We're all identical to each other. Isn't it wonderful?" 我们跟其他人是一样的。难道这不是太奇妙了吗?”
identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物;
And look around you and know that what we really care about is that little bit of difference. 但是当你转过头,你就会知道 我们真正关心的 却是那一点点不同。
We look the same to a visitor from another planet maybe but not to each other because we compete with each other all time. 也许从外星人看来我们都是一样的, 但是我们却不这样认为, 因为我们一直在与其他人竞争。
compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛);
And we're going to have to come to grips with the fact that there are differences between us as individuals that we will know about, and between subpopulations of humans as well. 我们将不得不认识到, 将来我们之间会有许多不同,无论是个人与个人之间 还是人类各亚群之间。
come to grips with:去面对,着手处理;
To deny that that's the case is not a very good start on that. 否认并不是很好的开始。
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求;
A generation or so away there are going to be even more profound things that are going to happen. 再过一代左右, 更加影响深远的事情会发生。
That's when we're going to begin to use this knowledge to modify ourselves. 那时我们将会开始利用这些知识来改变我们自身。
Now I don't mean extra gills or something -- something we care about, like aging. 我说的可不是多一个鳃什么的—— 而是我们关心的事情,例如衰老。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: gills:n.鱼鳃(gill的复数); v.除去鱼的鳃和内脏;
What if we could unravel aging and understand it -- begin to retard the process or even reverse it? 如果我们可以揭开衰老的秘密,理解衰老,进而阻止甚至逆转衰老的过程, 世界将会怎样?
What if:如果…怎么办? retard:vt.延迟;阻止;妨碍;使减速;vi.减慢;受到阻滞;n.延迟;阻止; reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的;
It would change absolutely everything. 那时一切都会被改变。
And it's obvious to anyone, that if we can do this, we absolutely will do this, whatever the consequences are. 任何人都会明白, 如果我们可以这样做,我们肯定是会这样做的, 无论结果如何。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
The second is modifying our emotions. 第二点是修饰我们的情感。
I mean Ritalin , Viagra , things of that sort, Prozac . 我指的是Ritalin, Viagra这样的药, 还有Prozac。
Ritalin:n.利他林(中枢兴奋药);盐酸哌醋甲酯; Viagra:n.伟哥(一种治疗阳痿的药,壮阳药);万艾可; Prozac:n.百忧解(一种治疗精神抑郁的药物);
You know, this is just clumsy little baby steps. 你瞧,这只是开始,就像婴儿笨拙的爬行。
clumsy:adj.笨拙的;笨拙地;不得当的;不得当地;
What if you could take a little concoction of pharmaceuticals that would make you feel really contented , just happy to be you. 但是假如我们可以 通过服用一点儿混合药品, 来感到真正的满足, 感到生而为人的由衷喜悦,又会如何呢?
concoction:n.混合;调合;调合物; pharmaceuticals:n.药物(pharmaceutical的复数); contented:adj.满足的;心安的;v.使…满足;使…安心(content的过去式和过去分词);
Are you going to be able to resist that if it doesn't have any overt side effects? 如果没有任何副作用,你能拒绝它吗?
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; overt:adj.明显的;公然的;蓄意的;
Probably not. 大概不能。
And if you don't, who are you going to be? 但是既然你没有拒绝,你将会变得怎样?
Why do you do what you do? 为什么你会这样做?
We're sort of circumventing evolutionary programs that guide our behavior. 某种程度上,我们是在回避用于指导我们行为的进化程序。
circumventing:n.失灵;v.绕行;使陷入圈套(circumvent的ing形式);
It's going to be very challenging to deal with. 面对这一点很有挑战性。
The third area is reproduction . 第三个领域是生育。
reproduction:n.繁殖,生殖;复制;复制品;
The idea that we're going to chose our children's genes , as we begin to understand what genes say about who we are. 概括来说,既然我们可以知道各种基因的作用, 我们就可以选择自己孩子的基因。
genes:n.基因;(gene的复数)
That's the focus of my book Redesigning Humans, where I talk about the kinds of choices we'll make, and the challenges it's going to present to society. 这就是我的《人类再设计》这本书所关注的。 书中谈论了我们将要面临的种种选择, 以及这种情况对未来社会所造成的挑战。
Redesigning:v.重构;重设计(redesign的现在分词);
There are three obvious ways of doing this. 为实现这一点,有三条明显的道路。
The first is cloning . 第一是克隆。
cloning:n.克隆;v.无性繁殖(clone的现在分词);
It didn't happen. 这并没有发生。
It's a total media circus . 完全是媒体在杂耍
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; circus:n.马戏;马戏团;
It will happen in five to 10 years. 克隆将在未来5到10年内发生。
And when it does it's not going to be that big a deal. 到那时,并不会成为什么大事情。
The birth of a delayed identical twin is not going to shake western civilization . 一个延迟出生的同卵双胞胎 将不会动摇西方文明。
identical twin:n.单卵性双胞胎之一(性别相同,外貌相似); civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
But there are more important things that are already occurring : embryo screening. 更加重要的事情正在发生: 胚胎筛选。
occurring:n.事件;事故;事变; embryo:n.[胚]胚胎;胚芽;初期;adj.胚胎的;初期的;
You take a six to eight cell embryo, you tease out one of the cells, you run a genetic test on that cell, and depending on the results of that test you either implant that embryo or you discard it. 一个6-8细胞胚胎, 你从中取出一个细胞,对它进行基因测试, 依照测试的结果, 你选择植入这个胚胎或者丢弃它。
tease:v.取笑; n.戏弄; implant:vt.种植;灌输;嵌入;n.[医]植入物;植入管;vi.被移植; discard:v.丢弃; n.被抛弃的人(或物); (尤指纸牌游戏中)垫出的牌;
It's already done to avoid rare diseases today. 今天,这种操作已经被用于避免罕见疾病。
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
And pretty soon it's going to be possible to avoid virtually all genetic diseases in that way. 不久之后,所有遗传疾病都有可能 通过这种途径来避免。
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上;
As that becomes possible this is going to move from something that is used by those who have infertility problems and are already doing in vitro fertilization , to the wealthy who want to protect their children, to just about everybody else. 那时, 进行这种操作的人群将会从 因为有生育问题而进行人工受精的人 发展到有钱人用它来保留自己的下一代 并最终转移至几乎所有人。
infertility:n.不毛;不肥沃;贫瘠; vitro:n.在试管内; fertilization:n.[农]施肥;[胚]受精;肥沃;
And in that process that's going to morph from being just for diseases, to being for lesser vulnerabilities , like risk of manic depression , or something, to picking personalities , temperaments , traits , these sorts of things. 在这个过程中, 一开始对于疾病的避免, 降低易感性, 比如抑郁症等等, 会逐渐发展成对于个性的挑选, 对性格、特征等等的挑选。
morph:n.词态;语素;变体;vt.在屏幕上变换图像;改变; lesser:adj.较少的;次要的;更小的;adv.较少地;更小地;不及; vulnerabilities:n.缺陷(vulnerability的复数形式);脆弱点; manic:adj.躁狂的;狂热的;n.躁狂症者; depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; personalities:n.性格;个性;人格;气质;名人;(personality的复数) temperaments:n.气质,性情,性格;急躁; traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数);
Of course there is going to be genetic engineering . 基因工程将不可避免。
genetic engineering:n.基因工程;遗传工程(学);
Directly going in -- it's a little bit further away, but not that far away -- going in and altering the genes in the first cell in an embryo. 发展的方向将是——现在说有点早,但离我们也不太远—— 改变胚胎第一个细胞的基因。
Directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
The way I suspect it will happen is using artificial chromosomes and extra chromosomes, so we go from 46 to 47 or 48. 我猜测 这将会通过人工染色体 或者额外染色体来实现。所以染色体的数目会从46条 变成47条或48条。
suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的; artificial:adj.人造的;仿造的;虚伪的;非原产地的;武断的; chromosomes:n.[遗][细胞][染料]染色体(chromosome的复数形式);
And one that is not heritable because who would want to pass on to their children the archaic enhancement modules that they got 25 years earlier from their parents? 这些染色体将是不遗传的, 因为谁会愿意遗传给他们的孩子 如此古老的增强模块呢? 要知道这是25年前父母传给他们的。
heritable:adj.可继承的;可传让的; archaic:adj.古代的;陈旧的;古体的;古色古香的; enhancement:n.增加;放大; modules:n.[计]模块(module的复数);加载模块列表;
It's a joke, of course they wouldn't want to do that. 只是一个玩笑。他们当然不会这样做。
They'll want the new release . 他们想要的是新的染色体。
release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
Those kinds of lose analogies with 这可以大略类比于
analogies:n.类比;类推法;
(Laughter) (笑)
computers, and with programing , are actually much deeper than that. 电脑或者编程, 但实际上比这些都要深刻得多。
programing:n.程式设计,程序编排;节目制作;v.编写程序;设计程式(program的ing形式);
They are really going to come to operate in this realm . 人们真的会在这个领域展开行动。
realm:n.领域,范围;王国;
Now not everything that can be done should be done. 现在要说的是,并非所有可以做的事情都是应该做的,
And it won't be done. 有些事情不会成为现实。
But when something is feasible in thousands of laboratories all over the world, which is going to be the case with these technologies, when there are large numbers of people who see them as beneficial , which is already the case, and when they're almost impossible to police, it's not a question of if this is going to happen, it's when and where and how it's going to happen. 但是当很多东西在世界上几千个实验室内 都已经可以被实现时, 这些技术会被怎样应用呢? 尤其是像现在的情况一样, 许多人把这些技术视为有益的尝试, 对他们进行监管又近乎不可能, 某些事情的发生与否就不再是一个疑问, 问题是它们发生的地点和方式。
feasible:adj.可行的;可能的;可实行的; laboratories:n.实验室;(laboratory的复数) beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的;
Humanity is going to go down this path. 人类会沿着这条道路走下去。
Humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
And it's going to do so for two reasons. 原因有两条:
The first is that all these technologies are just a spin off of mainstream medical research that everybody wants to see happen. 首先是所有这些技术 都是主流医学研究的衍生物, 人人都渴望看到它们出现。
spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向; mainstream:n.主流;
It is being funded very very -- in a big way. 对它们的经费支持非常非常 极为丰厚。
funded:adj.提供资金的;v.提供资金;积存;提供资金偿付的本息;(fund的过去式);
The second is, we're human. 其次,我们是人类。
That's what we do. 这样做是我们的本性。
We try to use our technology to improve our lives in one way or another. 我们试图通过我们的技术 从方方面面来改进我们的生活。
improve:v.改进;改善;
To imagine that we're not going to use these technologies when they become available, is as much a denial of who we are as to imagine that we'll use these technologies and not fret and worry about it a great deal. 臆想想我们在可以应用这些技术时 却主动放弃, 是对人性的否认, 至于想象到 我们能在应用这些技术时不担心 不忧心忡忡
denial:n.否认;否定;剥夺(应有的权利);拒不承认(令人不快、痛苦的事); fret:v.使烦恼;焦急;使磨损;n.烦躁;焦急;磨损;
The lines are going to blur . And they already are between therapy and enhancement, between treatment and prevention , between need and desire. 分界线将变模糊。如今, 疗养与增强之间的界限, 治疗与预防之间的界限, 需求与渴望之间的界限,都日益模糊不清。
blur:v.涂污;使…模糊不清;使暗淡;玷污;n.污迹;模糊不清的事物; therapy:n.治疗,疗法; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍;
That's really the central one, I believe. 我相信这才是事情的关键。
People can try to ban these things. 人们可以试图禁止它们。
They undoubtedly will. They have. 毫无疑问他们会这样干。有些人已经这样做了。
undoubtedly:adv.确实地,毋庸置疑的;
But ultimately all this is going to do is just shift development elsewhere . 但最终这些行为的结果, 只是将发展导向别处。
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; elsewhere:adv.在别处;到别处;
It's going to drive these things from view. 这些事情将躲到视线之外。
It's going to reserve the technology for the wealthy because they are in the best position to circumvent any of these sorts of laws. 科技将会为富人保留, 因为他们处于最好的位置 来逃脱任何法律的管辖。
reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订;
And it's going to deny us the information that we need, to make wise decisions about how to use these technologies. 对技术的禁止也会使我们失去 获得必要知识的机会, 同时失去正确决策技术利用方式的机会。
So, sure, we need to debate these things. 所以,我们对这些事情的讨论无疑是必要的。
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑;
And I think it's wonderful that we do. 我为我们正在进行的讨论感到高兴。
But we shouldn't kid ourselves and think that we're going to reach a consensus about these things. 然而我们不能掩耳盗铃, 认为一致的结论将会出现。
consensus:n.一致;舆论;合意;
That is simply not going to happen. 因为那是不可能的。
They touch us too deeply. 这种争论对我们自身的触动太大。
And they depend too much upon history, upon philosophy , upon religion, upon culture, upon politics . 并且,高度依赖于历史、哲学 宗教、文化和政治。
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
Some people are going to see this as an abomination , as the worst thing, as just awful. 在有些人看来, 这是令人深恶痛绝的, 是最邪恶的东西,骇人听闻。
abomination:n.厌恶;憎恨;令人厌恶的事物;
Other people are going to say, "This is great. 但有的人会说:“这太棒了!
This is the flowering of human endeavor ." 简直是人类成就中的奇葩。”
endeavor:n.v.努力;尽力;试图;
The one thing though that is really dangerous about these sorts of technologies, is that it's easy to become seduced by them. 关于这些技术, 唯一真正可怕之处, 是它们对我们的诱惑是如此之大。
seduced:v.诱奸;诱骗;唆使;(seduce的过去分词和过去式)
And to focus too much on all the high technology possibilities that exist. 我们会轻易将注意力 集中在所有可能的高科技发展上。
high technology:n.高科技;
And to lose touch with the basic rhythms of our biology and our health. 并因此失去 对于基本生命和健康基本规律的感受。
lose touch:失去联系; rhythms:韵律;
There are too many people that think that high technology medicine is going to keep them, save them, from overeating , from eating a lot of fast foods, from not getting any exercise. 太多人认为高科技药物 会为他们带来福音,会拯救他们 于暴饮暴食之中。 以为大量食用速食不再有害健康, 或者完全不锻炼也没有关系。
overeating:v.吃得过多;过度饱食(overeat的ing形式);
It's not going to happen. 这是不可能的。
In the midst of all this amazing technology, and all these things that are occurring, it's really interesting because there is sort of a counter revolution that is going on. 就在令人眼花缭乱的技术之中, 在层出不穷的新事物中,有意思的是 一股相反的变革正在进行。
midst:n.当中,中间;prep.在…中间(等于amidst);
A resurgence of interest in remedies from the past. 对古老疗法的兴趣开始复苏。
resurgence:n.复活;再现;再起; remedies:n.处理方法; v.改正; (remedy的第三人称单数和复数)
In nutraceuticals , in all of these sorts of things that some people, in the pharmaceutical industry particularly , like to brand as non-science . 这些兴趣着眼于营养制品。 包括许多人,尤其是医药行业的人认为 非科学的事物。
nutraceuticals:n.保健营养品;营养药品;营养物质,营养素;保健品(nutraceutical的复数); particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印; non-science:非科学;
But this whole effort is generated , is driven, by IT as well because that is how we're gathering all this information, and linking it, and integrating it together. 但是这种现象之所以产生, 也是受信息技术的驱动, 因为IT是我们获得所有这些信息, 并且联系、整合它们的方式。
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词) integrating:v.(使)合并,成为一体;(使)加入,融入群体;(integrate的现在分词)
There is a lot in this rich biota that is going to serve us well. 这个丰富的资源宝藏将会很好的为我们服务。
biota:n.生物区(系);一时代(一地区)的动植物;
And that's where about half of our drugs come. 而这是大约半数药品的来源。
So we shouldn't dismiss this because it's an enormous opportunity to use these sorts of results, or these random lose trials from the last thousand years about what has impacts on our health. 所以我们不应该对此嗤之以鼻, 因为此时正是 利用这些资源的巨大机会。 通过这些过去数千年间进行的无计划试验, 我们可以了解它们对于人类健康的影响。
dismiss:v.不予考虑;摒弃;消除;解雇; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
And to use our advanced technologies to pull out what is beneficial, from this sea of noise, basically . 进而利用现代科技 来从大量嘈杂信息中 剥离出对我们有益的成分。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
In fact this isn't just abstract . 这实际上并不是空想。
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要;
I just formed a biotechnology company that is using this sort of an approach to develop theraputics for Alzheimer's and other diseases of aging. 我刚刚成立了一个生物科技公司, 这个公司的业务方式 就是利用这种途径 来开发针对阿尔兹海默症或其它衰老相关的疾病。
biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
And we're making some real progress. 我们已经取得了一些实际进展。
So here we are. 现在我们已经进入了新的时代。
It's the beginning of a new millennium . 一个新千年的开始。
millennium:n.千年期,千禧年;一千年,千年纪念;太平盛世,黄金时代;
If you look forward , 向前看,
look forward:向前看;期待;曲协盼望;盼望;朝前展望;
I mean future humans, far before the end of this millennium, in a few hundred years, they are going to look back at this moment. 你会看到未来的人类, 在这个千年远未结束之时, 在仅仅几百年之后,他们将回首现在。
And from the beginning of today's sessions you'd think that they're going to see this as this horrible difficult, painful period that we struggled through. 从今天的一系列演讲之中, 你可以猜想到,他们会把现在视为一段艰辛 困难和痛苦的时代, 我们正在其中努力挣扎。
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
And I don't think that's what is going to happen. 但是我不这样想。
They're going to do like everybody does. They are going to forget about all that stuff. 我认为他们会像所有人一样,将会忘记这些争论。
And they are actually going to romanticize this moment in time. 实际上,这段日子会成为未来的传说。
romanticize:v.使浪漫化;使传奇化;使更加富有吸引力;
They are going to think about it as this glorious instant when we laid down the very foundations of their lives, of their society, of their future. 将来,他们会认为 这是一段光辉的瞬间, 在这瞬间里, 我们为他们的生活打下了基础, 为他们的社会和未来打下了基础。
glorious:adj.光荣的;辉煌的;极好的; foundations:n.基础;地基;基金会;粉底;(foundations是foundation的复数)
You know it's a little bit like a birth. 有点像出生,你看。
Where there is this bloody , awful mess happens. 虽然血腥,虽然混乱。
bloody:adj.血腥的;血淋淋的;v.血染; mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
And the what comes out of it? New life. 但是我们得到了什么?新生命。
Actually as was pointed out earlier, we forget about all the struggle there was in getting there. 就像先前指出的那样, 我们会忘记从前有过的所有挣扎。
So to me, it's clear that one of the foundations of that future is going to be the reworking of our biology. 对我来说, 很明显未来生活的基础之一 将是生物学的再次发展。
reworking:n.再造作用;修订;重写;v.重做;改进(rework的ing形式);
It's going to come gradually at first. It's going to pick up speed. 开始会比较缓慢,但后来会加速进行。
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
We're going to make lots of errors. 我们将会犯许多错误。
That's the way these things work. 这就是事情发展的方式。
To me it's an incredible privilege to be alive now and to be able to witness this thing. 对我来说, 我为能活在现在感到荣幸, 因为我将有幸见证这一切。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
It is something that is a unique instant in the history of all of life. 这是所有生命中 独一无二的瞬间。
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
It will always be remembered. 这瞬间将被永远铭记。
And what's extraordinary is that we're not just observing this, we are the architects of this. 更了不起的是, 我们不仅仅是在观察这一切, 我们正在缔造这一切。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的; observing:adj.观察的;注意的;观察力敏锐的;v.观察;遵守(observe的现在分词); architects:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;(architect的复数);
I think that we should be proud of it. 我认为我们该为此而自豪。
What is so difficult and challenging is that we are also the objects of these changes. 之所以有困难和挑战,是因为 我们同时也是这些变化的影响目标。
It's our health, it's our lives, it's our future, it's our children. 影响我们的健康,我们的生命,我们的未来,我们的孩子。
And that is why they are so very troubling to so many people who would pull back in fear. 这就是为什么对于太多人来说这种改变如此令人苦恼, 他们甘愿在恐惧中阻止改变的发生。
I think that our choice in the choice of life, is not whether we're going to go down this path. 我认为,我们的选择, 对于生命的选择, 不是是否要在这条路上走下去。
We are, definitely . 因为我们必定会前行。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
It's how we hold it in our hearts. 而是我们怎样接受,
It's how we look at it. 怎样评价。
I think Thucidites really spoke to us very clearly in 430 B.C. He put it nicely. 公元前430年, Thucidites 就已经清楚的告诉我们这个道理。
Again, I'll use the words in the same order he did. 我将再一次原样引用如下:
'"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, both glory and danger alike. “最勇敢的人, 是看得最清楚的人, 他将荣誉和危险等量齐观。
And yet notwithstanding , they go out and they meet it." 他不会退缩,他会前进,他会拥抱未来。”
notwithstanding:adv.尽管,仍然;prep.尽管,虽然;conj.虽然;
Thank you. 谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)