|
|
GrahamHill_2011U-_少点用具_多点乐趣_
|
What's in the box? |
猜猜看这个箱子里有什么? |
Whatever it is must be pretty important, because I've traveled with it, moved it, from apartment to apartment to apartment. |
至少是些要紧的东西吧 毕竟不管我去哪儿,搬到哪儿 都带着这个箱子呢 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Sound familiar ? |
你们也干过差不多的事儿吧? |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
Did you know that we Americans have about three times the amount of space we did 50 years ago? |
说起来你们知不知道 跟50年前的美国人相比 我们有了3倍多的空间? |
Three times. |
整整三倍啊! |
So you'd think, with all this extra space, we'd have plenty of room for all our stuff . |
那你可能会说,既然空间更多了 那肯定够我们放各种东西了 |
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外: stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
Nope. |
非也非也。 |
There's a new industry in town, a 22 billion-dollar, 2.2 billion sq. ft. industry: that of personal storage. |
要知道现在有个新兴产业 价值220亿美元、累计占地22亿平方英尺 而作用就是为客户提供存储空间 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
So we've got triple the space, but we've become such good shoppers that we need even more space. |
虽然我们有了三倍多的空间 但我们的消费能力增长得更快 因此我们实际上需要更多的空间 |
triple:adj.三部分的; n.三倍的数[量]; v.成为三倍; shoppers:n.购物者;(商店的)顾客;(shopper的复数)
|
So where does this lead? |
那这一切的后果有哪些呢? |
Lots of credit card debt , huge environmental footprints , and perhaps not coincidentally , our happiness levels flat-lined over the same 50 years. |
比如大量的信用卡贷款 对环境的巨大影响 还有这50年里停滞不前的幸福水平 而这最后一点恐怕并非无巧不成书 |
credit card:n.[经]信用卡; debt:n.债务;借款;罪过; footprints:n.脚印;足迹;空间量,面积;(通信卫星)覆盖区;(footprint的复数) coincidentally:adv.巧合地;一致地;
|
Well I'm here to suggest there's a better way, that less might actually equal more. |
所以我想说,其实有一种更好的生活方式: 在这里少一些,在别处就多一些。 |
I bet most of us have experienced at some point the joys of less: college -- in your dorm , traveling -- in a hotel room, camping -- rig up basically nothing, maybe a boat. |
我相信我们大部分人都或多或少地 体验过“少”的乐趣 校园里——我们只需要一间宿舍 旅途中——我们只需要一间客房 野营时——基本用不着什么东西 可能要一条船。 |
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; dorm:n.(美口)宿舍; rig:n.钻机; v.装配; basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
Whatever it was for you, I bet that, among other things, this gave you a little more freedom, a little more time. |
我相信,和其它事物相比 这些会给你带来多一点点自由 和多一点点时间 |
So I'm going to suggest that less stuff and less space are going to equal a smaller footprint. |
所以我想说 少用点东西、少占点空间 就意味着对环境少些影响 |
It's actually a great way to save you some money. |
也能为你节省一些花销 |
And it's going to give you a little more ease in your life. |
而且,你的生活也会变得更加轻松 |
So I started a project called Life Edited at lifeedited.org to further this conversation and to find some great solutions in this area. |
因此我开始做这个名为Life Edited精简生活的项目 在网站 lifeedited.org 上一方面推广我的理念 另一方面寻找一些解决方案 |
Edited:v.编辑,校订;编选;编集;(edit的过去分词和过去式)
|
First up: crowd-sourcing my 420 sq. ft. apartment in Manhattan with partners Mutopo and Jovoto.com. |
首先,我和Mutopo及Jovoto.com合作 众包我在曼哈顿的420平方英尺的公寓 |
I wanted it all -- home office , sit down dinner for 10, room for guests, and all my kite surfing gear . |
我希望它能拥有以下所有的功能: 家庭办公室、10人餐桌 留宿客人的空间 还有我全套的风筝冲浪设备 |
home office:n.(英国)内政部; surfing:v.冲浪;进行冲浪运动;(互联网上)浏览;(surf的现在分词) gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
|
With over 300 entries from around the world, |
从世界各地发来的300条建议中 |
I got it, my own little jewel box. |
我找到了这个最优方案。 |
By buying a space that was 420 sq. ft. |
我买了420平方英尺 |
instead of 600, immediately I'm saving 200 grand. |
而不是600平方英尺的房子 仅此一项我就省了二十万美元 |
Smaller space is going to make for smaller utilities -- save some more money there, but also a smaller footprint. |
更小的空间意味着更小的用具 在这方面我们不光能够省点钱 也能给环境少带来些影响 |
utilities:n.公用事业;实用工具,[计]实用程序;公用程式;(utility的复数)
|
And because it's really designed around an edited set of possessions -- my favorite stuff -- and really designed for me, |
正因为这些用具都是围绕着 我最想要的功能 专门为我设计的 |
possessions:n.拥有;个人财产;私人物品;控球状态;(possession的复数)
|
I'm really excited to be there. |
我自然很向往能够住到那里 |
So how can you live little? |
那我们怎样才能活得精简呢? |
Three main approaches . |
有三条大道。 |
approaches:v.靠近,接近; n.方式,方法,态度;
|
First of all , you have to edit ruthlessly . |
第一,你必须铁面无情地去开始精简工作 |
First of all:adv.首先; ruthlessly:adv.无情地;残忍地;冷酷地;
|
We've got to clear the arteries of our lives. |
就像去除掉我们身上的动脉瘤一样毫不留情 |
arteries:n.[解剖]动脉(artery的复数);v.给…提供动脉(artery的单数第三人称);
|
And that shirt that I hadn't worn in years? |
比如那件我好几年都没穿过的T恤嘛…… |
It's time for me to let it go. |
是时候让它去了 |
We've got to cut the extraneous out of our lives, and we've got to learn to stem the inflow . |
我们得把生活中无关紧要的细枝末节修剪掉 并且学会逆潮流而动 |
extraneous:adj.外来的;没有关联的;来自体外的; stem:n.花草的茎或梗;高脚酒杯的脚;烟斗柄;词干;v.阻止;封堵;遏止; inflow:n.流入;流入物;岭量;vi.流入;货币回笼;
|
We need to think before we buy. |
我们应该三思而后消费 |
Ask ourselves, "Is that really going to make me happier? Truly?" |
买东西之前问问自己: “买了它我真的能更加开心吗?” |
By all means , we should buy and own some great stuff. |
诚然 我们应该购买并拥有一些很棒的东西 |
By all means:一定,务必;尽一切办法;
|
But we want stuff that we're going to love for years, not just stuff. |
但我们更需要那些我们对其的喜爱经久不衰的东西 而不仅仅是任何物品 |
Secondly, our new mantra : small is sexy. |
第二,也是我们的新口号: 小也有魅力 |
mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌;
|
We want space efficiency . |
我们想要高空间利用率。 |
efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效;
|
We want things that are designed for how they're used the vast majority of the time, not that rare event. |
我们想要的用具 应该是依据多数情形下它们的使用方来设计的 而不是专为少数情形而设计的。 |
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
|
Why have a six burner stove when you rarely use three? |
就好比一般你连三个灶头都很少同时使用 为什么要去买六灶头的燃气灶? |
burner:n.燃烧器;火炉;[化工]燃烧炉;灯头; stove:n.火炉;窑;烘房;[园]温室;v.用火炉烤[烘干];把…放入温室内培育; rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
|
So we want things that nest, we want things that stack , and we want it digitized . |
我们需要的器具应该能够大的套小的,或者能够层叠放置的 如果一样东西能数字化那就更好 |
stack:n.堆栈;一摞;大量;许多;v.(使)放成整齐的一叠(或一摞,一堆); digitized:adj.数字化的;v.使数字化(digitize的过去分词);
|
You can take paperwork , books, movies, and you can make it disappear -- it's magic. |
那样你可以把所有文件 书籍、电影等等 都化为无形——就像变戏法一样。 |
paperwork:n.文书工作; disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
|
Finally , we want multifunctional spaces and housewares -- a sink combined with a toilet, a dining table becomes a bed -- same space, a little side table stretches out to seat 10. |
最后,我们需要多功能的空间利用与多功能家具—— 比如一体化的水斗和坐便器 餐桌与床的两用 同样的空间里 这个小小的桌子 可以伸展为能坐10个人的大桌子 |
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; multifunctional:adj.多功能的; housewares:n.家用器皿; dining table:餐桌; stretches:v.拉长; n.一片; (stretch的第三人称单数和复数)
|
In the winning Life Edited scheme in a render here, we combine a moving wall with transformer furniture to get a lot out of the space. |
“精简生活”的一个优胜设计 把一堵墙和“变形金刚”式的家具有机结合 从而高效地利用了有限的空间 |
scheme:n.计划;方案;体系;体制;阴谋;v.密谋;图谋;想;认为; render:v.提供;给予;提交;翻译;n.粉刷;[建](墙壁的)初涂;抹灰;精制油; transformer:n.[电]变压器;促使变化的人; furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
|
Look at the coffee table -- it grows in height and width to seat 10. |
看看这个咖啡桌: 它可以拉长、抬高 使得能够容纳10个人同时就座 |
coffee table:[家具]咖啡桌;咖啡茶几; width:n.宽度;广度;某一宽度的材料;(游泳池两长边之间的)池宽;
|
My office folds away, easily hidden. |
我的个人工作台 能够方便地折叠并隐藏 |
My bed just pops out of the wall with two fingers . |
只用两个手指就能把床从墙壁里变出来 |
two fingers:n.(手心向里,表示侮蔑的)V字形手势;
|
Guests? Move the moving wall, have some fold-down guest beds. |
家里来客人了?动一下这堵墙 里面有折叠式的客床 |
And of course, my own movie theater . |
当然,它也能变成我的家庭影院 |
movie theater:n.电影院;
|
So I'm not saying that we all need to live in 420 sq. ft. |
我不是说每个人都应该只住在 420平方英尺(约40平方米)的空间里 |
But consider the benefits of an edited life. |
但精简生活的确能带来诸多好处。 |
Go from 3,000 to 2,000, from 1,500 to 1,000. |
比如从3000平方英尺到2000平方英尺 或者从1500到1000平方英尺 |
Most of us, maybe all of us, are here pretty happily for a bunch of days with a couple of bags, maybe a small space, a hotel room. |
我们中的大多数,也可能是所有人 在这几天都过得很愉快 虽然我们只随身带了几个包 并且住在一个小小的旅店房间里 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
|
So when you go home and you walk through your front door, take a second and ask yourselves, "Could I do with a little life editing ? |
所以你这次回家、踏入房门之后 不妨问问自己 “怎么样把我的生活也精简一番呢?” |
editing:v.编辑,校订(文章、书籍等);编选;(edit的现在分词)
|
Would that give me a little more freedom? |
“那样是不是会带来更多自由——” |
Maybe a little more time?" |
“更多时间呢?” |
What's in the box? |
我这个箱子里装了什么? |
It doesn't really matter. |
这其实并不重要 |
I know I don't need it. |
因为我不需要它们。 |
What's in yours? |
你的包袱里装了什么? |
Maybe, just maybe, less might equal more. |
还是有那么一些可能性 使得“少”也能意味着某种“多”。 |
So let's make room for the good stuff. |
所以让我们把有限的空间 都留给重要的东西吧。 |
make room for:让出地方给…,为…腾出空位;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |