|
|
GeenaRocero_2014-_我为什么要站出来_
|
The world makes you something that you're not, but you know inside what you are, and that question burns in your heart: |
这是佛教中的观世音菩萨。 但在内心深处,你知道自己是谁。 有个问题使你心神不安: |
How will you become that? |
“你是怎样变成那样的呢?” |
I may be somewhat unique in this, but I am not alone, not alone at all. |
也许我是这个问题的一个特例, 但我并不孤单, 一点也不。 |
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
|
So when I became a fashion model, |
当我成为一名时装模特时, |
I felt that I'd finally achieved the dream that I'd always wanted since I was a young child. |
我感觉我终于实现了 小时候一直向往的梦想。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
My outside self finally matched my inner truth, my inner self. |
我外在的自我终于和我内心的真实, 我真实的自我,成为一致。 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
|
For complicated reasons which I'll get to later, when I look at this picture, at that time I felt like, Geena, you've done it, you've made it, you have arrived. |
由于一些我之后将解释复杂的原因 当我看着张照片时, 那时我感觉,“吉娜你做到了, 你成功了, 你完成心愿了。“ |
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
But this past October, |
但是,在之前的十月里, |
I realized that I'm only just beginning. |
我意识到这只是一个开始。 |
All of us are put in boxes by our family, by our religion, by our society, our moment in history, even our own bodies. |
我们大家都被家庭, 宗教, 社会, 历史, 甚至我们的生体所限制。 |
Some people have the courage to break free, not to accept the limitations imposed by the color of their skin or by the beliefs of those that surround them. |
有些人有勇气去解放自我, 不接受因为皮肤颜色 或者大环境中的信仰 所导致的限制。 |
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式); imposed:adj.强加的;施加的;应用的;v.欺骗(impose的过去分词);把…强加于;
|
Those people are always the threat to the status quo , to what is considered acceptable . |
这些人对所谓的 ”可以接受的标准 “ 一直都是威胁。 |
status quo:n.现状;原来的状况; acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的;
|
In my case, for the last nine years, some of my neighbors, some of my friends, colleagues , even my agent , did not know about my history. |
就我而言,在过去的九年里 我的一些邻居, 部分朋友和同事,甚至有些中介 都不知道我的历史。 |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); agent:n.代理人,代理商;药剂;特工;v由…作中介;由…代理;adj.代理的;
|
I think, in mystery, this is called the reveal . |
我认为在宗教中这叫做事实的揭露。 |
reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
|
Here is mine. |
|
I was assigned boy at birth based on the appearance of my genitalia . |
在我出生时,根据生殖器的外观 我被鉴别为男孩。 |
assigned:v.分配(某物);分派;指定;委派;(assign的过去分词和过去式) appearance:n.外貌;外观;外表; genitalia:n.[解剖]生殖器,外阴部;
|
I remember when I was five years old in the Philippines walking around our house, |
我记得在菲律宾,我五岁的时候 在房子周围走动的时候, |
Philippines:n.菲律宾;
|
I would always wear this t-shirt on my head. |
我总是会把这件短袖衫穿在头上。 |
And my mom asked me, "How come you always wear that t-shirt on your head?" |
我妈妈便问我, “你为什么总是把那件短袖衫穿在头上?” |
I said, "Mom, this is my hair. I'm a girl." |
我说:“妈妈,这是我的头发,我是一个女孩。” |
I knew then how to self-identify . |
那时我就知道如何自我识别。 |
self-identify:自我认同;自我认定;
|
Gender has always been considered a fact, immutable , but we now know it's actually more fluid , complex and mysterious . |
性别总是被认为是一个事实, 不可改变, 但是我们知道事实上性别是更加不定的, 复杂的,并且神秘的。 |
Gender:n.性别; immutable:adj.不变的;不可变的;不能变的; fluid:adj.流动的;流畅的;不固定的;n.流体;液体; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; mysterious:adj.神秘的;不可思议的;难解的;
|
Because of my success, I never had the courage to share my story, not because I thought what I am is wrong, but because of how the world treats those of us who wish to break free. |
因为我的成功,我从前没有勇气 去分享我的故事, 不是因为我认为自己性别取向是错的, 而是因为畏惧世界会如何对待我们 这些打破常规的人。 |
treats:v.以…态度对待; n.乐事;
|
Every day, |
每一天, |
I am so grateful because I am a woman. |
我都感到非常庆幸,因为我是一个女人。 |
I have a mom and dad and family who accepted me for who I am. |
我有一个家庭 和能够接受我真正自我的父母。 |
Many are not so fortunate . |
但很多人并不是那么幸运。 |
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
|
There's a long tradition in Asian culture that celebrates the fluid mystery of gender. |
在亚洲,我们有一个悠久的传统 去赞颂性别不定的神秘。 |
There is a Buddhist goddess of compassion . |
这是佛教中的观世音菩萨。 |
Buddhist:n.佛教徒;adj.佛教的; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
|
There is a Hindu goddess, hijra goddess. |
这是印度教中的希吉拉女神。 |
Hindu:adj.印度的;印度教的;n.印度人;印度教教徒;
|
So when I was eight years old, |
所以当我八岁那年, |
I was at a fiesta in the Philippines celebrating these mysteries. |
我在菲律宾的一个嘉年华会 庆祝这些神秘宗教。 |
fiesta:n.圣日,宗教节日;祭典;假日;
|
I was in front of the stage, and I remember, out comes this beautiful woman right in front of me, and I remember that moment something hit me: |
我在舞台前, 我记得,这个美丽的女人 迎面向我走来, 我记得,在那一刻我的内心被触动了: |
That is the kind of woman I would like to be. |
那就是我想成为的那种女人。 |
So when I was 15 years old, still dressing as a boy, |
在我15岁时 我已男孩的身份 |
I met this woman named T.L. |
见到了这位叫做T.L女士。 |
She is a transgender beauty pageant manager. |
她是变性选美大赛的经理。 |
transgender:n.跨性别;跨性别者; pageant:n.盛会;游行;虚饰;露天表演;
|
That night she asked me, "How come you are not joining the beauty pageant?" |
那一晚她问我, “你为什么不参加变性选美大赛呢?” |
She convinced me that if I joined that she would take care of the registration fee and the garments , and that night, |
她说服我,如果我参加变性选美大赛 她会为我付注册费, 帮我买服装。 在那晚 |
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式) registration:n.登记;注册;挂号; garments:n.[服装]服装,衣着(garment的复数);
|
I won best in swimsuit and best in long gown and placed second runner up among 40-plus candidates. |
我赢得了最佳泳装奖, 最佳长礼服奖 并且在四十个候选人中 获得了季军。 |
swimsuit:游泳衣(女式) gown:v.给…穿宽大的长袍;使穿睡衣;n.长袍;长外衣;睡衣;
|
That moment changed my life. |
那一刻改变了我的一生。 |
All of a sudden , I was introduced to the world of beauty pageants . |
倾刻之间,我迈入了 选美大赛的世界中。 |
All of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; pageants:n.盛会;游行;虚饰;露天表演;
|
Not a lot of people could say that your first job is a pageant queen for transgender women, but I'll take it. |
没有多少人敢说你的第一份工作 是变性选美大赛中的女王, 不管被人怎样想,我接受了。 |
So from 15 to 17 years old, I joined the most prestigious pageant to the pageant where it's at the back of the truck, literally , or sometimes it would be a pavement next to a rice field, and when it rains -- it rains a lot in the Philippines -- the organizers would have to move it inside someone's house. |
在我十五到十七岁那些年间, 我加入了最有名望的选美大赛 坦白的说,在卡车背后举行的选美大赛, 或者有时在庄稼地旁的马路上, 在下雨的时候 (菲律宾经常下雨) 举办者就得把选美大赛 移到别人的房子里。 |
prestigious:adj.有名望的;享有声望的; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: pavement:n.路面;人行道;石板铺的地面; organizers:n.主办单位,组织者(organizer的复数形式);
|
I also experienced the goodness of strangers, especially when we would travel in remote provinces in the Philippines. |
我也感受到了陌生人的善意, 特别是当我们身处于 菲律宾偏远的省市中。 |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
|
But most importantly, I met some of my best friends in that community . |
但是最重要的是,我遇到了 那个社区中几个我最要好的朋友。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
In 2001, my mom, who had moved to San Francisco, called me and told me that my green card petition came through, that I could now move to the United States. |
在2001年, 我移居旧金山的妈妈打电话通知我 我的绿卡申请通过了, 我可以移居美国了。 |
green card:n.绿卡(允许外国人在美国居住和工作的法律证件); petition:n.请愿;请愿书;祈求;[法]诉状;vi.请愿;请求;vt.请愿;请求;恳求; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
I resisted it. |
但我拒绝了。 |
resisted:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;(resist的过去分词和过去式)
|
I told my mom, "Mom, I'm having fun. |
我告诉我妈,“妈妈,我现在很开心。 |
I'm here with my friends, |
我和身边的朋友在一起, |
I love traveling, being a beauty pageant queen." |
我爱旅行,我爱作为一名选美皇后。” |
But then two weeks later she called me, she said, "Did you know that if you move to the United States you could change your name and gender marker ?" |
两周之后她又打电话给我,她说, “你知道如果你移居到美国, 你个可以换一个名字,并且改变你的性别标识么?” |
marker:n.记分员;书签;标识物;作记号的人;
|
That was all I needed to hear. |
那是我最希望听到的了。 |
My mom also told me to put two E's in the spelling of my name. |
我妈妈还告诉我在我名字的拼写中 放入两个字母“E” |
She also came with me when I had my surgery in Thailand at 19 years old. |
在泰国我十九岁那年接受变性手术时, 她也在我身边。 |
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; Thailand:n.泰国(东南亚国家名);
|
It's interesting, in some of the most rural cities in Thailand, they perform some of the most prestigious, safe and sophisticated surgery. |
这真是很有趣,在泰国最乡村的地方, 他们却可以做最先进, 安全,并且成熟的变性手术。 |
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好); sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
|
At that time in the United States, you needed to have surgery before you could change your name and gender marker. |
在那时,美国需要 你在换名和改变性别标识之前 现接受变性手术。 |
So in 2001, I moved to San Francisco, and I remember looking at my California driver's license with the name Geena and gender marker F. |
在2001年,我移居到旧金山, 我记得,当我看着 有着我名字吉娜 和性别标识为女的驾照时, |
That was a powerful moment. |
我深深地被触动了、 |
For some people, their I.D. is their license to drive or even to get a drink, but for me, that was my license to live, to feel dignified . |
对有些人来说, 他们的驾照只是一个身份证, 或者获取酒的凭证, 但对我来说,那个驾照是使我可以生活, 并感到有尊严的许可证。 |
dignified:adj.端庄的; v.使有尊严; (dignify的过去分词和过去式)
|
All of a sudden, my fears were minimized . |
倾刻之间,我的畏惧被最小化了。 |
minimized:adj.最小化的; v.使减少;
|
I felt that I could conquer my dream and move to New York and be a model. |
我感到我可以征服我的梦想了, 可以移居到纽约并成为一名模特。 |
conquer:v.占领;攻克;征服;击败,战胜;对付,克服,控制;很受欢迎
|
Many are not so fortunate. |
有很多人不像我如此幸运。 |
I think of this woman named Ayla Nettles . |
我想到这个叫做阿亚拉·莱特丝的女人。 |
Nettles:n.[植][皮肤]荨麻; vt.惹怒;
|
She's from New York, she's a young woman who was courageously living her truth, but hatred ended her life. |
她来自纽约的年轻的女人, 她勇敢的围着她的信仰活着, 但是人们的憎恶结束了她的生命。 |
courageously:adv.勇敢地; hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶;
|
For most of my community, this is the reality in which we live. |
在我群体的大多数中, 这就是我们真实的生活。 |
Our suicide rate is nine times higher than that of the general population. |
我们的自杀率是 一般人群自杀率的9倍。 |
suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀;
|
Every November 20, we have a global vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance . |
每年11月20日, 我们有一个 变性纪念日的守夜。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; vigil:n.守夜;监视;不眠;警戒; Remembrance:n.回想,回忆;纪念品;记忆力;
|
I'm here at this stage because it's a long history of people who fought and stood up for injustice . |
我站在这里 因为这是一段很长的人们与 不正义搏斗的历史。 |
stood up for:维护,拥护; injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义;
|
This is Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera. |
她们是玛莎P.约翰逊和西尔维亚·里维拉。 |
Today, this very moment, is my real coming out. |
今天,这个特别时刻, 是我的真情表露。 |
I could no longer live my truth for and by myself. |
我不能仅仅 为了我自己信仰而活着。 |
I want to do my best to help others live their truth without shame and terror. |
我想尽力去帮助别人, 帮助他们在没有羞耻和恐惧的情况下以真正的自我生活。 |
I am here, exposed , so that one day there will never be a need for a November 20 vigil. |
我站在这里,坦诚相待, 为了有一天,我们将不再需要 11月20日的守夜。 |
exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式)
|
My deepest truth allowed me to accept who I am. |
我最深处的真理允许我接受我自己。 |
Will you? |
你们也会么? |
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Applause) |
谢谢。谢谢。谢谢。(掌声) |
Kathryn Schulz: Geena, one quick question for you. |
凯瑟琳·舒尔茨:吉娜问你一个简单的问题。 |
I'm wondering what you would say, especially to parents, but in a more broad way, to friends, to family, to anyone who finds themselves encountering a child or a person who is struggling with and uncomfortable with a gender that's being assigned them, what might you say to the family members of that person to help them become good and caring and kind family members to them? |
我疑惑 特别是对父母 对朋友 对家庭怎或是对任何人, 你会怎样去向他们解释, 并说服他们 去关心那些痛苦挣扎于 性别的人 同时成为 有好并关爱的 家庭成员? |
encountering:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的现在分词)
|
Geena Rocero: Sure. Well, first, really, I'm so blessed . |
吉娜·萝杰拉:可以。我个人真的非常幸运。 |
blessed:adj.神圣的; v.求上帝降福于; (bless的过去分词和过去式)
|
The support system, with my mom especially, and my family, that in itself is just so powerful. |
那个支持系统,特别是我的妈妈, 和我的家人,所有的那些 都是那么强有力。 |
I remember every time I would coach young trans women, I would mentor them, and sometimes when they would call me and tell me that their parents can't accept it, |
每一次,我记得我训练 和辅导变性女人, 有时当她们打电活给我 并告诉我她们的父母不接受, |
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导;
|
I would pick up that phone call and tell my mom, "Mom, can you call this woman?" |
我会打电话给我妈, 说:“妈,你能打电话这个女人么?” |
And sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so — |
有时有用,有时并不奏效。 |
But it's just, gender identity is in the core of our being, right? |
性别性别身份 是我们存在的核心,对吧? |
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核;
|
I mean, we're all assigned gender at birth, so what I'm trying to do is to have this conversation that sometimes that gender assignment doesn't match, and there should be a space that would allow people to self-identify, and that's a conversation that we should have with parents, with colleagues. |
我们在出生时就有个性别, 而我想做的就是 去讨论 当先天性别分配有问题时, 应该有空间, 有空间让人们去自我鉴定性别, 那是一个我们应该与 父母,同事讨论的话题。 |
assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务:
|
The transgender movement, it's at the very beginning, to compare to how the gay movement started. |
变性的运动 和男同性恋运动是怎样开始的相比 还在起步阶段。 |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
|
There's still a lot of work that needs to be done. |
还有很多需要做的事情。 |
There should be an understanding. |
人们应该去理解。 |
There should be a space of curiosity and asking questions, and I hope all of you guys will be my allies . |
人们应该给予好奇 与讨论的空间, 我希望你们都可以成我的盟友。 |
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
|
KS: Thank you. That was so lovely. GR: Thank you. |
谢谢!说的太好了。谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |