返回首页

GayleLemmon_2011X-_女企业家是榜样而绝非特例_

We do not invest in victims, we invest in survivors. 我们不对弱者投资 我们投资的是谋生者
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
And in ways both big and small, the narrative of the victim shapes the way we see women. 弱者的故事, 从各个方面 促成了我们对女性的看法。
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者;
You can't count what you don't see. 眼见为实。
And we don't invest in what's invisible to us. 我们不会投资我们看不见的东西。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
But this is the face of resilience . 而这张面孔上 写着坚韧不拔。
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
Six years ago, 六年前,
I started writing about women entrepreneurs during and after conflict . 我开始写女性企业家 有冲突中和冲突后的故事。
entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数) conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
I set out to write a compelling economic story, one that had great characters, that no one else was telling, and one that I thought mattered. 我开始着手撰写一个吸引人的经济故事, 这个故事的主角都了不起,没被别人讲过, 而且在我看了这故事意义重大。
compelling:adj.引人入胜的; v.强迫; (compel的现在分词) economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
And that turned out to be women. 结果我选择了女性为故事主题。
I had left ABC news and a career I loved at the age of 30 for business school , a path I knew almost nothing about. 当时我离开了ABC新闻台,离开了我热爱的事业,我当时正值而立之年 我去读了商学, 这是个我几乎一无所知的领域。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; business school:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院;
None of the women I had grown up with in Maryland had graduated from college, let alone considered business school. 与我一同在马里兰州长大的女性朋友 没有一人大学毕业, 更不用说去念商学院了。
Maryland:n.马里兰(美国州名); let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰;
But they had hustled to feed their kids and pay their rent. 她们为喂养孩子 交房租而忙碌着。
hustled:vt.催促;猛推;强夺;vi.赶紧;硬挤过去;拼命挣钱;n.推;奔忙;拥挤喧嚷;
And I saw from a young age that having a decent job and earning a good living made the biggest difference for families who were struggling. 我很小的时候 就认为拥有一份体面的工作,挣得一份不错的工资 最能帮助 那些勉强度日的家庭。
decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
So if you're going to talk about jobs, then you have to talk about entrepreneurs. 如果要讲就业, 那就不能不提企业家。
And if you're talking about entrepreneurs in conflict and post-conflict settings, then you must talk about women, because they are the population you have left. 讲到企业家 在冲突中和后冲突时期, 那就不得不提女性, 因为她们是冲突后剩下来的人口。
Rwanda in the immediate aftermath of the genocide was 77 percent female . 卢旺达在大屠杀之后 剩下人口的百分之七十七为女性。
aftermath:n.后果;余波; genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
I want to introduce you to some of those entrepreneurs I've met and share with you some of what they've taught me over the years. 我想把我认识的几位企业家 介绍给你们 并与你们分享这些年我从她们身上学到的东西。
I went to Afghanistan in 2005 to work on a Financial Times piece, and there I met Kamila, a young women who told me she had just turned down a job with the international community that would have paid her nearly $2,000 a month -- an astronomical sum in that context . 我2005年去到阿富汗 做财经时报的一篇报道, 我遇到了一位年轻的女性卡米拉, 她告诉我, 她才谢绝了 一份与国际社会相关的工作 这份工作给她开出了2000美元的月薪 这在当地可是个天文数字。
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); Financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; astronomical:adj.天文的,天文学的;极大的; context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
And she had turned it down, she said, because she was going to start her next business, an entrepreneurship consultancy that would teach business skills to men and women all around Afghanistan. 她谢绝了这份工作, 是因为她即将开始她下一项事业, 一个创业咨询公司 在阿富汗各地 教授人们各种创业技能。
entrepreneurship:n.企业家精神; consultancy:n.咨询公司;顾问工作;
Business, she said, was critical to her country's future. 她说:创业 关乎她祖国的未来。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
Because long after this round of internationals left, business would help keep her country peaceful and secure. 因为在国际组织离开之后, 创业能够帮助她的祖国 维持和平与安全。
And she said business was even more important for women because earning an income earned respect and money was power for women. 她说 创业对于女性而言更为重要 能挣钱就能赢得尊重 对于女性金钱就意味着力量。
So I was amazed. 我非常佩服她。
I mean here was a girl who had never lived in peace time who somehow had come to sound like a candidate from "The Apprentice ." 这个女孩儿从未经历和平时期 说话的口气却好比真人秀“飞黄腾达”中的竞技者。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; Apprentice:n.学徒;生手;vt.使…当学徒;vi.当学徒;
(Laughter) (众人笑)
So I asked her, "How in the world do you know this much about business? 我问她:“ 你怎么会对创业这么了解?
Why are you so passionate ?" 你哪来这么大的热情?”
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
She said, "Oh Gayle, this is actually my third business. 她说:“ 哦,盖尔,这都是我第三次创业了。
My first business was a dressmaking business 我第一次创业是做服装。
dressmaking:n.女装裁缝;v.制衣(尤指制女装,dressmake的ing形式);
I started under the Taliban . 当时还是在塔利班的统治下。
Taliban:塔利班;
And that was actually an excellent business, because we provided jobs for women all around our neighborhood . 我们做的很不错, 因为给周围的女性提供了就业。
provided:conj.假如; v.提供; (provide的过去分词和过去式) neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
And that's really how I became an entrepreneur." 我就是这样成为一名企业家的。”
Think about this: 我们想想:
Here were girls who braved danger to become breadwinners during years in which they couldn't even be on their streets. 在连门都出不了的动荡年月里 有这样一些女孩子 不惧危险 自力更生。
breadwinners:n.负担家计的人;养家糊口的人;
And at a time of economic collapse when people sold baby dolls and shoe laces and windows and doors just to survive, these girls made the difference between survival and starvation for so many. 当经济陷入瘫痪 当人们卖洋娃娃 卖鞋带 卖门窗 只为能生存下去时, 这些女孩子起了重要的作用 帮助许多人解决了温饱 重拾了生计。
collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭; laces:n.网眼织物; v.由带子系紧; (lace的第三人称单数和复数) survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物; starvation:n.饿死;挨饿;绝食;
I couldn't leave the story, and I couldn't leave the topic either, because everywhere I went I met more of these women who no one seemed to know about, or even wish to. 我不能不与人分享这个故事,也不能不关注这个主题, 因为 不管我走到哪里 都能碰到更多这样的女性 而外界对她们似乎一无所知, 甚至不屑于了解她们的事迹。
I went on to Bosnia , and early on in my interviews I met with an IMF official who said, "You know, Gayle, 我接着去了波斯尼亚, 在采访之初 我去见了一位国际货币基金组织的官员 那位官员说:“ 盖尔,
Bosnia:n.波斯尼亚;波士尼亚; interviews:n.面试; v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员;
I don't think we actually have women in business in Bosnia, but there is a lady selling cheese nearby on the side of the road. 我认为波斯尼亚没有任何女性企业家。 不过,马路对面 有一个卖奶酪的妇女。
nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近; on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助;
So maybe you could interview her." 或许你可以去采访她。”
So I went out reporting and within a day I met Narcisa Kavazovic who at that point was opening a new factory on the war's former front lines in Sarajevo . 于是 我就做报道去了 一天不到 我见到了纳尔希萨.卡瓦索维克 她当时正好在萨拉热窝战时的前线 开办一家新的工厂。
Sarajevo:n.萨拉热窝(位于南斯拉夫中部);
She had started her business squatting in an abandoned garage , sewing sheets and pillow cases she would take to markets all around the city so that she could support the 12 or 13 family members who were counting on her for survival. 在一个废弃的狭小车库里 她开始了她的事业, 缝制床单和枕套 她把床单枕套拿到全城各个市场上去卖 以此来供养 12到13个家庭成员 他们都依靠她谋生。
squatting:v.蹲坐;蹲;偷住,擅自占用(房子或地方);(squat的现在分词) abandoned:adj.被抛弃的放纵的;v.抛弃;丢弃,离开;放弃;(abandon的过去分词和过去式) garage:n.车库;汽车修理厂;飞机库;v.把…送入车库;把(汽车)开进车库; sewing:n.缝纫;缝制中的衣物;v.缝;做针线活;缝制;缝补;(sew的现在分词) sheets:n.床单;被单;薄片,薄板;(sheet的复数) pillow:n.枕头;v.垫;枕于…;使…靠在;
By the time we met, she had 20 employees, most of them women, who were sending their boys and their girls to school. 我和她见面时, 她有20名员工, 主要是女性, 她们都在供儿女上学。
And she was just the start. 她的事业才刚起步。
I met women running essential oils businesses, wineries and even the country's largest advertising agency . 我还见过负责重要石油公司, 经营酒庄 甚至经营该国最大广告公司的女性。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; wineries:n.葡萄酒厂,酿酒厂;酒庄(winery的复数); advertising:n.做广告;广告业;广告活动;v.做广告;(advertise的现在分词) agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
So these stories together became the Herald Tribune business cover. 这些事迹 一同登上了前驱论坛报商业版封面。
Herald:n.先驱;传令官;报信者;vt.通报;预示…的来临; Tribune:n.护民官;讲坛;看台;公民权利保护者;
And when this story posted, 文章一经出版,
I ran to my computer to send it to the IMF official. 我立刻跑到电脑前 把它发给那位国际货币基金组织的官员。
And I said, " Just in case you're looking for entrepreneurs to feature at your next investment conference , here are a couple of women." 我说:“ 要是您在找企业家 参加你们下一届投资大会, 这里有几位女性人选。”
Just in case:以防万一;作为准备; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
(Applause) (众人鼓掌)
But think about this. 但话说回来,
The IMF official is hardly the only person to automatically file women under micro . 这位国际货币基金组织的官员 并不是唯一个小瞧女性的人。
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; micro:adj.极小的;基本的;微小的;n.<口>微型计算机;微处理器;
The biases , whether intentional or otherwise, are pervasive , and so are the misleading mental images . 这些偏见,不论在国际上还是其他地方, 都普遍存在, 对女性错误的印象是存在的。
biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式); intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的; pervasive:adj.普遍的;到处渗透的;流行的; misleading:adj.误导的;引入歧途的;v.误导;引入歧途;使误信;(mislead的现在分词) mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
If you see the word " microfinance ," 看到“小额信贷”一词,
microfinance:n.小额信贷;微型金融;
what comes to mind? 你们会想到什么?
Most people say women. 许多人会说 女性。
And if you see the word "entrepreneur," 而看到“企业家”一词,
most people think men. 人们往往会马上想到男性。
Why is that? 为什么?
Because we aim low and we think small when it comes to women. 因为我们对女性的期望低 小看她们,
Microfinance is an incredibly powerful tool that leads to self-sufficiency and self-respect , but we must move beyond micro-hopes and micro-ambitions for women, because they have so much greater hopes for themselves. 小额信贷是一个相当有力的工具 帮助人们自给自足 提升自尊, 但我们对女性不能只抱微小的希望 和微小的期许, 因为她们对自身怀抱的是更宏伟的希望。
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; self-sufficiency:n.自给自足;自负; self-respect:n.自重,自尊;
They want to move from micro to medium and beyond. 她们想从微小晋升到中等再晋升到更高水平。
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
And in many places, they're there. 在许多地方, 她们已经处于更高水平了。
In the U.S., women-owned businesses will create five and a half million new jobs by 2018. 在美国,女性经营的企业 到2018年将创造550万新增工作岗位。
In South Korea and Indonesia , women own nearly half a million firms. 在韩国和印度尼西亚, 女性经营的公司将近有五十多万家。
Indonesia:n.印尼,印度尼西亚(东南亚岛国);
China, women run 20 percent of all small businesses. 在中国,百分之二十的小型企业经营者 为女性。
And in the developing world overall , 而在发展中国家,
overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
That figure is 40 to 50 percent. 女性经营着百分之四十到五十的企业。
Nearly everywhere I go, 我所到之处,
I meet incredibly interesting entrepreneurs who are seeking access to finance, access to markets and established business networks. 我几乎都能见到非常有能力的企业家 正四处寻求资金,进入市场 并加入已有的商业网络。
seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式)
They are often ignored because they're harder to help. 但她们常不受到重视 因为帮助她们难度较大。
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
It is much riskier to give a 50,000 dollar loan than it is to give a 500 dollar loan. 贷出50000美元的风险 比贷出500美元要高得多。
riskier:冒险的(risky的比较级);
And as the World Bank recently noted, women are stuck in a productivity trap . 根据世界银行最近公布的情况, 女性被困入了生产力的陷阱中。
World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构); recently:adv.最近;新近; productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力; trap:v.使陷入困境;卡住;夹住;收集;吸收;n.陷阱;圈套;捕捉器;诡计;
Those in small businesses can't get the capital they need to expand and those in microbusiness can't grow out of them. 小企业的经营者 无法得到所需的资金扩大企业规模 那些微型企业 无法进一步壮大。
expand:v.扩张;使膨胀;详述;发展;张开,展开; grow out of:产生于;因长大而丢弃;长得太高大;
Recently I was at the State Department in Washington and I met an incredibly passionate entrepreneur from Ghana. 最近 我去了位于华盛顿的国务院 见到了来自加纳的一位充满朝气的企业家。
State Department:n.(美国)国务院;
She sells chocolates. 她卖巧克力。
And she had come to Washington, not seeking a handout and not seeking a microloan. 她去到华盛顿, 为的不是寻求施舍或小额贷款。
handout:n.散发材料(免费发给的新闻通报);
She had come seeking serious investment dollars so that she could build the factory and buy the equipment she needs to export her chocolates to Africa, Europe, the Middle East and far beyond -- capital that would help her to employ more than the 20 people that she already has working for her, and capital that would fuel her own country's economic climb. 她寻求的是大笔的投资 这样她才能建工厂 和购买所需的设施 将巧克力 出口到非洲,欧洲,中东 以及世界各地- 她寻求资金来聘请更多员工 现在为她工作的员工 只有20名, 她寻求资金来推动祖国的 经济一步步往上爬。
export:n.出口;[无线电]呼叫;出口货;输出额;v.出口;排出;adj.输出的; Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部); employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用;
The great news is we already know what works. 好在 我们知道哪些做法是有效的。
Theory and empirical evidence 理论与实证
empirical:adj.经验主义的,完全根据经验的;实证的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
Have already taught us. 都教会了我们怎么做。
We don't need to invent solutions because we have them -- cash flow loans based in income rather than assets , loans that use secure contracts rather than collateral , because women often don't own land. 我们不用想办法 因为我们已经有办法了-- 根据收入而非资产 来发放现金流贷款, 以可靠的合同而不是抵押的方式来发放贷款, 因为女性通常没有土地。
cash flow:现金流转; assets:n.资产;宝贵的人材;(一项)财物;资产;(asset的名词复数) contracts:n.[经]合同; v.使收缩; collateral:adj.并行的;旁系的;附属的;n.抵押品;[法]担保品;旁系亲属;
And Kiva .org, the microlender, is actually now experimenting with crowdsourcing small and medium sized loans. 小额信贷机构Kiva.org, 正在尝试众包 中小额贷款。
Kiva:n.基瓦会堂(或大地穴,美国印第安人使用的一种圆形建筑); crowdsourcing:众包;群众外包;众包模式;
And that's just to start. 这还只是一个开始。
Recently it has become very much in fashion to call women "the emerging market of the emerging market." 现在时下流行的一句话是 “女性是新兴市场的新兴市场”。
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
I think that is terrific . 这妙极了。
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的;
You know why? 知道为什么吗?
Because -- and I say this as somebody who worked in finance -- 500 billion dollars at least has gone into the emerging markets in the past decade. 因为--我是作为一个曾经涉足金融业的人才这么说的-- 至少有5000亿美元 在过去十年中进入了新兴市场。
Because investors saw the potential for return at a time of slowing economic growth, and so they created financial products and financial innovation tailored to the emerging markets. 因为投资者在经济增长缓慢的时期中 看到了资金回报的潜力, 于是他们推出了 为新兴市场量身打造的 金融产品。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
How wonderful would it be if we were prepared to replace all of our lofty words with our wallets and invest 500 billion dollars unleashing women's economic potential? 如果我们用腰包里的钱 替换我们高尚的口号 把5000亿美元 投资给女性 释放她们的经济潜力 这难道不是绝妙的做法吗?
lofty:adj.高的;崇高的;高级的;高傲的; unleashing:v.发泄;突然释放;使爆发(unleash的现在分词)
Just think of the benefits when it comes to jobs, productivity, employment , child nutrition , maternal mortality , literacy and much, much more. 想想这能带来多少好处 工作岗位,生产力, 就业,儿童营养, 婴儿出生率,文化程度 还有很多很多。
employment:n.使用;职业;雇用; nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; maternal:adj.母亲的;母性的;母系的;母体遗传的; mortality:n.死亡数,死亡率;必死性,必死的命运; literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学;
Because, as the World Economic Forum noted, smaller gender gaps are directly correlated with increased economic competitiveness . 正如世界经济论坛提出的, 这是由于 经济竞争力的提升 直接影响了性别差距的缩短。
Forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场; gender:n.性别; gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式); directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; correlated:v.相互关联影响;相互依赖;(correlate的过去式和过去分词) competitiveness:n.竞争力,好竞争;
And not one country in all the world has eliminated its economic participation gap -- not one. 而世界上没有一个国家 消除了经济参与差距-- 一个国家都没有。
eliminated:v.排除;清除;消除;(比赛中)淘汰;消灭;(eliminate的过去式和过去分词) participation:n.参与;分享;参股;
So the great news is this is an incredible opportunity. 所幸的是 这是一个绝好的机会。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
We have so much room to grow. 我们有着极大的成长空间。
So you see, this is not about doing good, this is about global growth and global employment. 所以, 这不是在做慈善事业, 而是事关全球增长 和全球就业。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
It is about how we invest and it's about how we see women. 事关我们如何投资 如何看待女性。
And women can no longer be both half the population and a special interest group . 作为世界一半的人口 女性不能再继续 被视为一个特殊利益群体了。
special interest group:n.(尤指对政府施压的)特别利益集团;
(Applause) (众人鼓掌)
Oftentimes I get into very interesting discussions with reporters who say to me, "Gayle, these are great stories, but you're really writing about the exceptions." 我常常跟记者们进行非常有趣的讨论 他们对我说:“ 盖尔,这些事迹都很了不起, 但是你写的都只是特例。”
Oftentimes:adv.时常地;
Now that makes me pause for just a couple reasons. 听到这话 我停下来想了想。
First of all , for exceptions, there are a lot of them and they're important. 第一,这些不是特例, 因为这样的例子不计其数 而且都很重要。
First of all:adv.首先;
Secondly, when we talk about men who are succeeding, we rightly consider them icons or pioneers or innovators to be emulated . 第二,当谈到成功的男人时, 我们顺理成章地 把他们当做偶像,先锋 或创新家 来效仿。
rightly:adv.正确地;恰当地;公正地;合适地; innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式); emulated:努力赶上;与…竞争;模仿(emulate的过去式和过去分词);
And when we talk about women, they are either exceptions to be dismissed or aberrations to be ignored. 而谈到成功的女性, 就说她们是特例 或特殊情况 可以忽略不计。
dismissed:v.不予考虑;摒弃;去除,消除;解雇;(dismiss的过去分词和过去式) aberrations:n.[光]像差;[生物]畸变;析光差;脱离常轨(aberration的复数形式);
And finally , there is no society anywhere in all the world that is not changed except by its most exceptional . 最后, 世界上任何一个社会 无一不受 这一最特殊群体的影响而被改变。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生;
So why wouldn't we celebrate and elevate these change makers and job creators rather than overlook them? 为什么我们不为这些变革者 这些创造就业者 而欣喜并祝她们一臂之力呢?
elevate:vt.提升;举起;振奋情绪等;提升…的职位; overlook:v.忽略;俯视;视而不见;眺望;
This topic of resilience is very personal to me and in many ways has shaped my life. 对坚韧不拔这一主题我有切身体会 在很多方面塑造了我的人生。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
My mom was a single mom who worked at the phone company during the day and sold Tupperware at night so that I could have every opportunity possible. 我妈妈是个单身母亲 过去 她白天在电话公司上班 晚上销售塑料制品 好让我能够享受各种机会。
Tupperware:n.特百惠塑料容器(主要用于贮存食物);
We shopped double coupons and layaway and consignment stores, and when she got sick with stage four breast cancer and could no longer work, we even applied for food stamps. 我们买东西都用双重优惠券 分期累积预付 去二手商店, 当她患了晚期乳癌 身体虚弱 不能继续工作的时候, 我们甚至使用了粮票
coupons:n.优惠券;息票;[化工]取样片(coupon的复数); layaway:n.保留供将来客户付清货款的商品;制革桶; consignment:n.委托;运送;托付物; cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
And when I would feel sorry for myself as nine or 10 year-old girls do, she would say to me, "My dear, on a scale of major world tragedies , yours is not a three." 正如每个九岁或十岁的孩子 我感到自卑, 这时她就会对我说:“ 宝贝,就世界重大悲剧的标准来看, 你还没达到三呢。”
feel sorry for:为感到难过; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; tragedies:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;(tragedy的复数)
(Laughter) (众人笑)
And when I was applying to business school and felt certain I couldn't do it and nobody I knew had done it, 当我申请商学院时 我认为自己肯定上不了 我认识的人中没有人上过,
applying:v.申请,请求;使用;应用;(apply的现在分词)
I went to my aunt who survived years of beatings at the hand of her husband and escaped a marriage of abuse with only her dignity intact . 我去找我阿姨, 她多年遭受丈夫的殴打 最后她逃出了这段充满暴力的婚姻 保全了自己的尊严。
beatings:n.打;[纸]打浆;敲打;失败;v.打(beat的ing形式); abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; dignity:n.尊严;高贵; intact:adj.完整的;原封不动的;未受损伤的;
And she told me, "Never import other people's limitations ." 她对我说, “ 永远不要让其他人束缚你。”
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
And when I complained to my grandmother, a World War II veteran who worked in film for 50 years and who supported me from the age of 13, that I was terrified that if I turned down a plum assignment at ABC for a fellowship overseas , 我的祖母, 参加过二战 在电影界工作了50年 从我13岁起开始抚养我, 我向她抱怨说 我很害怕 如果我拒绝了ABC电视台的美差 而加入一个海外的奖学金项目,
complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式) veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的; plum:n.李子;梅子;洋李;紫红色;adj.人所希望的;有利的;上等的; assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务: fellowship:n.友谊;奖学金;研究员职位; overseas:adv.在海外,海外;adj.海外的,国外的;
I would never ever, ever find another job, she said, " Kiddo , I'm going to tell you two things. 我可能再也找不到另一份工作了, 她对我说:“ 丫头,两句话,
Kiddo:老兄;老姐;孩子
First of all, no one turns down a Fulbright , and secondly, McDonald's is always hiring." 第一,谁都不会不要一个福布莱特学者。 第二,麦当劳一直在招人。”
Fulbright:n.富布莱特奖学金;adj.富尔布赖特奖学金的;
(Laughter) (众人笑)
'"You will find a job. Take the leap ." “ 你会找到工作的。放心去飞吧。”
leap:n.跳越;跳跃;跳高;骤变;v.跳;跳跃;跳越;猛冲;
The women in my family are not exceptions. 我家族中的女性 绝非特例。
The women in this room and watching in L.A. 在座的女性 在洛杉矶收看直播的女性
and all around the world are not exceptions. 世界各个角落的女性 都不是特例。
We are not a special interest group. 我们不是一个特殊利益群体。
We are the majority . 我们是多数人。
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
And for far too long, we have underestimated ourselves and been undervalued by others. 长久以来, 我们低估了自己 也被其他人瞧不起。
underestimated:v.低估;对…估计不足;轻视(underestimate的过去分词和过去式) undervalued:adj.贬值的; v.低估…的价值; (undervalue的过去式和过去分词)
It is time for us to aim higher when it comes to women, to invest more and to deploy our dollars to benefit women all around the world. 现在 看待女性时 我们要抱以更高的期许, 为她们提供更多投资 用我们的钱造福世界各地的女性。
deploy:v.部署;利用;[军事]展开;(使)张开;
We can make a difference , and make a difference , not just for women, but for a global economy that desperately needs their contributions . 我们能够做出重大贡献, 不仅只为女性, 更是为了全球经济 全球经济急切需要女性的贡献。
make a difference:有影响,有关系; economy:n.经济;节约;理财; desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地; contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数)
Together we can make certain that the so-called exceptions begin to rule. 我们携手并进 能够让所谓的特例人群 成为主导力量。
make certain:弄清楚;弄确实; so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的;
When we change the way we see ourselves, others will follow. 只要我们改变了自己对自己的看法, 其他人对我们的看法也会改变。
And it is time for all of us to think bigger. 我们从现在开始 高瞻远瞩。
Thank you very much. 非常感谢大家。
(Applause) (众人鼓掌)