返回首页

GaryKovacs_2012U-_跟踪你的跟踪者_

I don't know why, but I'm continually amazed to think that two and a half billion of us around the world are connected to each other through the Internet and that at any point in time more than 30 percent of the world's population can go online to learn, to create and to share. 不知道为什么,但我一直惊叹于 这个世界上有25亿人 可以通过互联网连接彼此。 在任何时候 都有超过30%的世界人口 可以上网去学习、 创造和分享。
continually:adv.不断地;频繁地;
And the amount of time each of us is spending doing all of this is also continuing to go grow. 我们每个人花在这上面的时间 正在持续增加。
A recent study showed that the young generation alone is spending over eight hours a day online. 最近一项研究显示, 年轻的一代 每天上网的时间超过8个小时。
As the parent of a nine-year-old girl, that number seems awfully low. 对一位9岁小女孩的父亲来讲, 这个数字似乎太低了吧。
awfully:adv.非常;极其;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But just as the Internet has opened up the world for each and every one of us, it has also opened up each and every one of us to the world. 正如互联网给我们每一个人打开了一个世界一样, 它同时也把我们每个人展示给了这个世界。
And increasingly , the price we're being asked to pay for all of this connectedness is our privacy . 随之而来的,我们为互联时代 所付出的代价 就是我们的隐私。
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; connectedness:n.[数]连通性; privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处;
Today, what many of us would love to believe is that the Internet is a private place; it's not. 今天,我们很多人愿意相信 互联网是一个私人的地方;其实它并不是。
And with every click of the mouse and every touch of the screen, we are like Hansel and Gretel leaving breadcrumbs of our personal information everywhere we travel through the digital woods. 伴随每一次的鼠标点击和每一次的屏幕触摸, 我们就像汉塞尔和格雷特尔(格林童话《糖果屋》中的人物)一样, 时不时地把含有我们个人信息的“面包屑” 散落在我们经过的数字丛林的每个角落。
Hansel:n.新年礼物; breadcrumbs:n.面包屑; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
We are leaving our birthdays, our places of residence , our interests and preferences , our relationships, our financial histories, and on and on it goes. 我们遗留下了我们的生日、住所、 兴趣和偏好、 人际关系、 个人财务历史等等信息。
residence:n.住宅,住处;居住; preferences:n.偏爱;爱好;喜爱;偏爱的事物;(preference的复数) financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; on and on:继续不停地;
Now don't get me wrong, 不要误会我,
I'm not for one minute suggesting that sharing data is a bad thing. 我不是在说分享数据是一件不好的事情。
In fact, when I know the data that's being shared and I'm asked explicitly for my consent , 事实上,当我知道我的哪些信息在被分享, 同时也经过过我的许可后,
explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地; consent:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成;
I want some sites to understand my habits. 我会想要一些网站了解我的使用习惯。
sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
It helps them suggest books for me to read or movies for my family to watch or friends for us to connect with. 这能使它们更好地建议我可能想读的书, 或者给我的家人看的电影, 或者可以交流的朋友。
But when I don't know and when I haven't been asked, that's when the problem arises . 但是当我不知道或者未经我许可时, 这就会出现问题。
arises:v.出现;发生;站立;
It's a phenomenon on the Internet today called behavioral tracking , and it is very big business . 今天互联网上有种现象 叫做行为跟踪。 这是一项很大的生意。
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物); behavioral:adj.行为的; tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词) big business:n.(统称)大企业;大生意;
In fact, there's an entire industry formed around following us through the digital woods and compiling a profile on each of us. 事实上,这已经形成了一个产业 建立在对我们的行为跟踪基础上, 为我们每个人建立个人资料档案。
compiling:n.[计]编译;v.编辑;收集(compile的ing形式); profile:n.轮廓;简介;形象;外形;v.扼要介绍;概述;写简介;
And when all of that data is held, they can do almost whatever they want with it. 当所有这些资料到手时, 他们可以用这些资料做任何想做的事情。
This is an area today that has very few regulations and even fewer rules. 今天这个领域还缺少监管 和相应的规范。
regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数)
Except for some of the recent announcements here in the United States and in Europe, it's an area of consumer protection that's almost entirely naked . 除了近来美国和欧洲的一些声明外, 在这个领域没有任何对消费者的保护措施。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者; naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的;
So let me expose this lurking industry a little bit further. 下面让我来进一步揭露这一个“潜伏”着的产业。
expose:v.揭露,揭发;使曝光;显示; lurking:v.潜伏;潜藏;(lurk的现在分词)
The visualization you see forming behind me is called Collusion and it's an experimental browser add-on that you can install in your Firefox browser that helps you see where your Web data is going and who's tracking you. 在我身后你看到这个东西叫Collusion, 它是一个实验性的浏览器插件, 你可以安装在你的火狐浏览器上。 这有助于查看你的网络数据的去向,并知道谁在跟踪你。
visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心; Collusion:n.勾结;共谋; experimental:adj.实验的;根据实验的;试验性的; browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人; add-on:n.一种硬件设备(用于加在计算机上以扩展其功能);追加; install:v.安装;设置;安置;建立(程序); Firefox:n.炉膛;
The red dots you see up there are sites that are behavioral tracking that I have not navigated to, but are following me. 这里你看到的红点 都是在对我进行跟踪的网站。 我并没有浏览这些网站,它们却在跟踪着我。
navigated:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
The blue dots are the sites that I've actually navigated directly to. 蓝点是我实际上浏览过的站点。
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
And the gray dots are sites that are also tracking me, but I have no idea who they are. 灰点是那些在跟踪着我, 而我对它们却一无所知的网站。
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
All of them are connected, as you can see , to form a picture of me on the Web. 你可以看到,所有的网站相连在一起 构成了一张网络中关于我的图片,
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
And this is my profile. 这就是我的个人资料。
So let me go from an example to something very specific and personal. 现在让我直接从一个非常具体的和个人的例子来说明这个问题,
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
I installed Collusion in my own laptop two weeks ago and I let it follow me around for what was a pretty typical day. 两周前在我自己的笔记本电脑中安装了Collusion, 我让它跟着我,看看我非常普通的一天会发生些什么。
installed:v.安装;设置;使就职(install的过去分词和过去式) laptop:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑; typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
Now like most of you, 和你们大多数人一样,
I actually start my day going online and checking email. 我的每一天从检查电子邮件开始,
I then go to a news site, look for some headlines. 然后去个新闻网站,看些头条新闻。
And in this particular case I happened to like one of them on the merits of music literacy in schools and I shared it over a social network. 这时,我看上一条报道, 分析学校进行音乐素养教育的好处, 然后我把它分享到一个社交网络上。
merits:n.优点(merit的复数);功绩;是非曲直; literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学;
Our daughter then joined us at the breakfast table, and I asked her, "Is there an emphasis on music literacy in your school?" 这时,我的女儿过来吃早餐, 我问她: 你的学校有在注重培养你们的音乐素养吗?
emphasis:n.强调;重视;重要性;(对某个词或短语的)强调;
And she, of course, naturally as a nine-year-old, looked at me and said quizzically, "What's literacy?" 她,一个9岁的小姑娘, 疑惑地看着我,很自然地问: 什么是素养?
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
So I sent her online, of course, to look it up. 当然,我让她在网上查一查。
Now let me stop here. 现在让我在这儿停一下。
We are not even two bites into breakfast and there are already nearly 25 sites that are tracking me. 我们刚开始吃了一点早餐, 就已经有将近 25个站点在跟踪着我。
I have navigated to a total of four. 我只看过其中的四个。
So let me fast-forward through the rest of my day. 下面让我快进我的这一天。
fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进;
I go to work, I check email, 我去上班,查看电子邮件,
I log onto a few more social sites, I blog , 我登录到更多社交网站,我写博客,
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志;
I check more news reports, I share some of those news reports, 去看了更多的新闻报道,分享了其中的一部分,
I go look at some videos, pretty typical day -- in this case, actually fairly pedantic -- and at the end of the day, as my day winds down, look at my profile. 然后看了一些视频, 非常典型的一天 ——— 在这种情况下,其实相当无趣 —— 在这一天结束时, 再来看看我的个人网络资料,
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; pedantic:adj.迂腐的;学究式的;卖弄学问的;假装学者的;
The red dots have exploded . 红点的数量急速激增。
exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式)
The gray dots have grown exponentially . 灰点指数倍地增长。
exponentially:adv.以指数方式;
All in all , there's over 150 sites that are now tracking my personal information, most all of them without my consent. 总的来说,有超过150个站点 在跟踪我的个人信息, 大部分未经过我的许可。
All in all:总而言之;头等重要的东西;
I look at this picture and it freaks me out. 我看着这张图片,大吃一惊。
freaks:n.狂热爱好者; v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧; (freak的第三人称单数和复数)
This is nothing. I am being stalked across the Web. 这不算什么。我正通过网络被人跟踪。
stalked:v.偷偷接近,潜近(猎物或人); (stalk的过去分词和过去式)
And why is this happening? 为什么会这样?
Pretty simple -- it's huge business. 很简单 ——这是一笔很大的生意。
The revenue of the top handful of companies in this space is over 39 billion dollars today. 在这项业务中领头的一些公司, 如今一年的收入超过了390亿美元。
revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署;
And as adults, we're certainly not alone. 更甚者,这并不是只针对成人的。
At the same time I installed my own Collusion profile, 在我给自己电脑装Collusion的时候,
At the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
I installed one for my daughter. 我也给我女儿装了一个。
And on one single Saturday morning, over two hours on the Internet, here's her Collusion profile. 在一个星期六的上午,她一共上了两个小时的网, 这是她的网络个人资料。
This is a nine-year-old girl navigating to principally children's sites. 这是一个九岁女孩, 她就浏览了一些儿童网站。
navigating:v.航行,操纵(navigate的现在分词形式);adj.航行的,航行中; principally:adv.主要地;大部分;
I move from this, from freaked out to enraged . 我看到这里,从惊讶转变为愤怒。
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式) enraged:v.使异常愤怒;激怒;触怒;(enrage的过去分词和过去式)
This is no longer me being a tech pioneer or a privacy advocate; this is me being a parent. 我做这些不再是因为我是一个科技先锋或者隐私倡导者, 而因为我是一个父亲。
Imagine in the physical world if somebody followed our children around with a camera and a notebook and recorded their every movement. 想象一下在现实世界里, 有个人,拿着一个相机和一个笔记本,跟着我们的孩子, 并记录他们的一举一动。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
I can tell you, there isn't a person in this room that would sit idly by. 我可以告诉你们,在这个房间里的所有人,没有人能坐视不管。
idly:adv.无所事事地;懒惰地,空闲地;无益地;
We'd take action. It may not be good action, but we would take action. 我们都会采取行动。可能不是什么好行为,但是我们都会。
(Laughter) (笑声)
We can't sit idly by here either. 同样,我们对网络跟踪也不能置之不理。
This is happening today. 这些是真实发生的。
Privacy is not an option , and it shouldn't be the price we accept for just getting on the Internet. 隐私不是一个可选项, 它不应该成为我们上网 所要付出的代价。
option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
Our voices matter and our actions matter even more. 我们的声音很重要,但我们的行动更为重要。
Today we've launched Collusion. 今天,我们已经发布了Collusion。
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
You can download it, install it in Firefox, to see who is tracking you across the Web and following you through the digital woods. 你可以下载它,将它安装在你的火狐上, 看谁通过网络在偷窥你, 谁在数字丛林中跟踪你。
Going forward, all of our voices need to be heard. 更进一步,我们的声音需要被更多人听到。
Because what we don't know can actually hurt us. 因为那些我们不知道的事,其实会伤害我们。
Because the memory of the Internet is forever. 因为互联网的记忆是永恒的。
We are being watched. 我们正在受到监视。
It's now time for us to watch the watchers . 但现在是我们监视它们的时候了。
watchers:n.…观察家;…观察员;(watcher的复数)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)